Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• docmeyerdocmeyer Member Posts: 6
    A black beauty, common sense says stay away, can't test drive it, just listen as the driver starts it and rolls it into the auction bay.
    If I can pick it up for under 2K should I?
    http://www.4mag.com/cgi-bin/lotinfo.dtw/disp?lot=344383

I just want it as a weekend driver and an occassional 250 mile trip once a month...

Real life suggestions? I am used to credit card melters.

TIA

~d
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    There are some cars I'd buy sight unseen. If it was a late model Toyota Camry that looked that good in the pics, I'd go for it. A Series III XJ6? There are too many things I want to check first? Tappet guide stakedown kit on the engine? Last rear brake job? Electrical gremlins? Does the trunk smell like gasoline when you fill up? Cowbells from the back seat? Rust where the rear suspension bolts to the car (can ruin an otherwise good day if it gives out going down the interstate!) A 1980's Jaguar is not something you want to buy sight unseen. Get a good one, and you'll love it. Get a bad one, and you will want to beat your Jag mechanic over the head with a wet newspaper.

God gave you common sense for a reason. Listen to it.
  • docmeyerdocmeyer Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the scoop.

Well I went to the auction, it was freezing cold, cars covered in snow. The Jag was clean, exterior nice and cranked over first time. It idled rough which I attributed to it sitting in the cold for awhile. I didn't stick around to see it go through, it was to cold. I don't think it sold, judging by the way things were selling when I was there I could have probably picked it up for $900.

~d
  • mariposarosadamariposarosada Member Posts: 54
    I'm thinking of getting a 95-97 style XJ6, but only if it's possible to change the stereo head unit. Is this possible? If so, is it difficult? If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate some advice. Also, pictures of an install would be appreciated, if there are any around. Thanks!
  • roycecoleroycecole Member Posts: 9
    what i did was have the dealer clean the engine and that worked because the leak is easy to so also the orange coolant does not burn off the engine (note steam clean engine only because u will lose the spark)
    i have notice that my Xk8 has two thomostat put
    in the second time i look it in for a oil change
    and the service guy said the hoses where sucked flat this really bugs i am looking fro a after market thermostat
    also the dealer refinshed the wood because of a milky haze.
    P.S. i have a 2001 VDP and a 1999 XK8 if anyone has information let me know
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    I have about 65k miles on my car and am expecting to need brakes shortly. What should I expect to pay?
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    Sounds like a small screw or piece of plastic and I hear it tumbling from side to side when I crank the wheel. The steering wheel controls seem tight and the horn still works so I am less concerned with what it might be then how to get rid of it. Anyone run across this before? How does the steering wheel pull apart for access to the controls/horn button? Thks
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    Does anyone have baby seats in their XJ-series sedan?

If so, do some brands fit better than others?

Thanks!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Im Back :)

Work had been kicking my butt to no end.. but now 2 major projects are finished.

Bill
  • jagdeanjagdean Member Posts: 6
    Got to sit in and play with the new 04 XJ8 yesterday, looks like it will be a winner. I'll give everyone an update next month after I go to the ride and drive in Phoenix.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I said it elsewhere, but again, welcome back!

:-)
    I've driven it already.. you WILL Love it. I have one on order.

Pat,

Thanks! :) Good to be back, good to have the time to be back!
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    Hello Bill: It's so good to have you back. Is there any computer chip for the XK8? Can you increase the HP with anything except the supercharger?

thanks

JMan
    Heya!

Yeah there is...

http://www.arden.de

They make some fun stuff for our Kitties... They are the people I have bought stuff from for the XJRs I have owned. They were able to get a 370hp engine to about 458hp.

Helped jus ta bit when overtaking you see.. :D
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    complete...can now resume marriage...can now go off unemployment and back to work...never mind Saddam and North Korea...brentwoodvolvo is back so my life can proceed...:):):)...ok, maybe just a LITTLE too hammy, but, hey, gotta say something...:)
    Bob,

How is things in Lawyerland.
    Lawyerland is progressing...the bankruptcy side of business (the clients, not mine) has been growing in fits and starts...remember, no matter who they owe, and how much they owe, and how much they have or don't have, they ALWAYS find the $$$ to pay the lawyer, as I will not file the bankruptcy with the court until I am paid in full, and they want those harassing phone calls to stop ASAP...:):):):):)

Bob
    Now what did Shakespeare say? :P

Hehehehehehe...

So when you gonna plump for a Jag then?
    Hey Bill: thanks for all the info about the upgrades for the Vanden Plas. Have you tried any of the up grades? I think Arden has three levels of hp upgrades. I have one other question. Have you ever heard of a XK8 owner re-sealing or re-conditioning their soft top? How often do you re-condition the top? Please help

Thanks

JMan
    I did the S3 upgrade on one of the XJRs.

WOOOOO-WEEEE! :D:D:D:D

Reseal the top? Huh? Just keep it clean and out of car washes, shoudl be fine till it is like 10 years old
    I keep watching the weekend ads for 2000 or 2001 XJ8L...maybe in the not-too-distant-future...sat in the rear of a friend's 2002 XJ8, space was quite cramped...but the car was stunning...

Bob
    Get an XJ8L or a Vanden Plas.. dramatic difference.
    Boy, are we glad to see you back, Bill! This board just wasn't the same without you!

I have a question.. I went to check my oil the other day. It's been around 3000 miles since my last change so I'm due. But when I pulled the dipstick out, there was this white foamy "goo" on the dipstick. It almost looked like the oil was frothing a little.

Do you have any idea what could cause that? Obviously, I'll get the oil changed, but I've never seen that "stuff" in my oil reservoir before...

Thanks!
  • willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    It's difficult to diagnose through cyberspace without seeing the situation personally, but I can think of two possibilities:
    1) The oil was overfilled, allowing the crankshaft to whip through the reservoir of oil sitting in the oil pan. This can whip air into the oil and cause foaming. "Foamed" oil does not flow well and can be a cause for lack-of-lubrication problems.
    2) Water has gotten into the crankcase and has emulsified somehow with the oil. Oil emulsions also offer poor lubrication.

I'm sure there are other potential causes for what you see on your dipstick, and are probably more likely to be the true cause. But the point is, what you are seeing is not normal and is a cause for concern. I would not delay a moment from having the oil changed.
    Heya!

Hmmm.... Could be a blown head gasket I suppose causing water to mix into the oil. OTOH, in over 300 X300s sold I have seen ONE "Failed" head gasket. It was leaking oil externally (96 VDP.. 79K miles) and was minor. Was a select car so haha Jag paid for it!

Are you doing nothing but short trips maybe? Could be unburned condensation. Looks like Mayo, right?

Bill
  • joehilaryjoehilary Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bill,

I am in CT and am looking for a 99 or 2000 XJ8 VDP or XJ8L, loaded with low miles. I would prefer a light blue / tan, silver/tan, or platnium/tan. Would also consider a deep emerald green/tan.

What can I expect to pay for these cars with low mileage and in warranty? How much more for a select edition of the same types?

Thanks.

Joe Rebot
    Email: joe_hilary@yahoo.com
  • jlapcatjlapcat Member Posts: 7
    I own a 98 XJR, posted a message (#1429)last August 02 about a horrible noise from the engine that Jaguar service couldn't hear. Finally, last October, after several more trips to the dealer, the timing chain was replaced. On the way home, black smoke poured into cabin, oil leak. Several more little problems, last week rear differential replaced. I've put 15K miles on the car (at 52K miles total) in the 15 months I've owned it. It spent 3 months total in the shop--got a new transmission as well. Great car to drive, but something breaks at least once every 6-8 weeks. Everything so far has been under warranty, but what an inconvenience!!!
    So, dealer wants to help me out (?) and get me into a newer car. I have 28K left on the loan. They're offering a 2001 XJR w/ 18K miles for $46000 and will take my car back for free (?). This doesn't seem like a good deal for me. Any thoughts on this one? Dealer said the 2000 XJRs are more reliable than 1998-9. I put down $5K on the 98 and purchased Lojack for it, so I am out significant dollars on this, plus I had a great interest rate of 3.9% which they can't give me.
    But I got to dump this car, it is possessed.
    Thanks!
  • rainman66rainman66 Member Posts: 1
    As far back as I can remember ive always wanted to own a jag and lately ive been looking at the 1990 and 1991 xjs series. I test drove the 1991(the seller posted it as "collectors", has 60k miles, and the body and interior are in excellent condition his selling price is $9000). I've never driven a jag up until then but noticed that for a 12 cylinder car it dragged and didn't seem to have the power I expected. My questions are...

1. Is $9000 too much to pay for this 91 model?

2. What makes the 91 xjs a "collector" as suppose to a 90 xjs? I thought I read that jaguar only made 300 or so 91 xjs..is this true?

3. What should I pay attention to when test driving the 90 and 91 xjs?

I would GREATLY appreciate any advice you can give about purchasing and maintaining the 90-91 XJS

Thanks
    Hello Anyone:
    I have a 98 Vanden Plas. Do the brakes always feel mushy? Several time I have had to add brake fluid. I know when the brake pads wear down the fluid level also goes down. Even with the brake fluid level full, the feel on the foot petal is mushy? Any help. Bill you can respond too!

JMan
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I am considering a new car and can't stomach buying another car from a country which hates the US, which in my mind rules out BMW and Mercedes. I like Lexus and Infiniti. I've never consdiered Jaguar because I have not fit in them. My old boss had an XJ8 and once we went to lunch with me and 2 other 6 footers in the back seat. It was a joke with us trying to contort ourselves into the seats. I was glad to hear they are increasing the size on the 2004 and may therefore consider it. Does anyone know when it will be out, and could anyone comment based on experience or expectation about the increased dimensions, particularly concerning interior space and comfort? Thanks.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    The interior space on the 2004 XJ8 is a whole different story than in the outgoing model, at least the short wheelbase one. It's also gotten pretty good pre-launch press. I don't know when it will be out, but my impression is around the fall.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    Thanks for the info. Also, does anyone know whether there will be a long wheelbase version for 2004 which will be longer still?
    Thanks for the input. I don't think the head gasket is blown. The engine compartment is still spotless (I've never had a car that upon being 6 years old only needed its engine compartment to be "dusted off" from time to time to remain as clean as the day it was purchased!). I'm not leaking or burning anything either (that I can tell).

Yes, the stuff on the dipstick looked like Mayo. I had the oil and filter changed, and for the moment, everything is looking fine. And yes, I do only drive the car mostly on short (40mi) trips to work and back. But summer is coming!!

I'll keep an eye on this and see if it starts making sandwich spread again.
  • litlrivrlitlrivr Member Posts: 11
    Anyone know what the wholesale is on an '01 XJ8; Silver, black hides, 15000 mile, immaculate?
  • kcoombskcoombs Member Posts: 1
    Hello anyone, I am looking to buy a new car and am looking at Benz E320 or a Jag XJ. what would you buy? I know it is comparing apples to oranges. I live in Colorado with lots of snow. I know the 2004 Benz will have all wheel drive along with the Jag 2004. The price of both will go up also I am sure, do you think it is worth the wait and the price difference to get the all wheel drive?
    The new XJ has AWD? That's a new one on me. I new the baby X-Type did, but didn't know they were putting it on the XJ8
    That is NOT Normal... I'd see if they can just fix your car. $46K isnt a steal either, although your 52K mile 1998 is not worth anywhere near 28K as a trade... come to think of it seems like a more than fair deal.

But that's far beyond tyhe norm.
    Let's see...

1) Hell yes if it's a Coupe. No if it's a ragtop. If it's a ragtop that's cheap, if it's a coupe I think it's high by $1,500-2K assuming it's mint.

2) They are not collector's items. They are used cars. Jag made a HELL of a lot more than 300 XJSs in 1991.

3) Everything. Engine oil pressure should be strong, and get up to presure quickly. Smooth, quiet, watch for HUGE oil leaks (They ALL leak a little) and rust, cosmetic problems. Leather and wood are VERY costly to fix.

Hope this helps! Wonderful car, $$$ to keep running.
    I just put front pads and rotors on the 98 VDP I am driving right now.

Pedal is usual XJ8 mush and I have bled em 3 times now. You can try flushing the whole system.. but it's about the norm.

Bill
    See my report below.. you will be amazed :)
    Just seemed weird to me.. keep an eye on it. If it IS a bead H/G it's a $500 job if that at a good independent.
    Where is the car? What options?
    Only AWD Jaguar is the X-Type. Although an XJ with SNOW TIRES and the optional Dynamic Stability should be OK.
    Well guess what's out in the UK now.

And guess what we just got as a company car for our manager in the UK branch of our company? And guess who hogged it ALL last week? :D

(Disclaimer, this is a 262hp 3.5V8 car that we wont get)

HOLY ****! WOW! GOOD GOD!

Here's the deal. Rides like an S430/500. Quieter and smoother than a BMW 7 Series.

Handles amazingly well, IMO, as good as the BMW. Steering feel is just freaking amazing (And I always have liked the steering on the X300 over the XJ8) Handling is very predictable and surefooted. Car I drove had 235-50ZR18 P6000s, US-Spec cars will have crappo Conti CH95s :(

Brakes are excellent. Car feels light.. feels athletic, VERY secure and stable. Amazingly tight. A few small trim bits feel cheap but overall very solid. This car is as solid as an old Mercedes.

It's quick and smooth too. VERY quiet.

Very comfortable, FINALLY it has headroom and decent rear-seat legroom. Cabin is a LOT bigger and airier.

Trunk is huge.

Car is SUBSTANTIALLY Improved...

When the first XJ6 came out in '68 it set the world on its' ear and was called the best sedan in the world. ditto the XJ40 in 1986.

17 years later Coventry has done it again. This car is amazing.

Bill
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    Nice report, but it's a Jaguar, what did you expect? :-) And you forgot to mention something the car has always had over the competition - styling.
    "And I always have liked the steering on the X300 over the XJ8"

I thought the X300 and the XJ8 were the same car.
    Nah..

X300 (95-97 SWB Sedan... LWB is actually called X330) only LOOKS like the X308 (XJ8.. LWB XJ8 is X338)

Mechanically they are VERY different. Friend of mine has an XJ8 and an XJ6 (96 and 98) He prefers the 96 to the 98 except for the power. As do I.
  • pluckonpluckon Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if there's more driver leg room in the new model? The earlier models are very cramped, and this is probably the reason why I didn't buy one a few years ago.
  • patbowpatbow Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help with advice on two problems with an otherwise great 2001 XJ8?

First, from the time the XJ8 was brand new until now, coolant has been slowly lost. Several times the dealer ran pressure tests (once overnight) with no leaks found. It looses about 6-8 ounces in 5Kmi or so (my guesstimate). There is a slight coolant odor at the radiator when the engine is hot. Temperature gauge reads normal and no warning lights or messages.

Second, during the first 5Kmi, it used about half a quart of oil. Since then it has been using a quart every 2-3Kmi (the car now has a total of 17Kmi). The dealer thinks this is normal; it seems excessive to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    So let me get this straight...
    We have the:
    Series I
    Series II
    Series III
    XJ-40
    X-300
    X-330
    X-308
    X-338
    X-350.....

And they are all called XJ! This can be confusing!

I knew there were some engine and suspension changes between the XJ6 and XJ8 which made the 8 the better car, but I thought they were both the same basic platform, and I though the X-300 was basically an XJ-40 with new sheetmetal. So exactly how much does a 98-03 XJ have in common with a 95-97? With a 94?