Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I don't know the answers, but I have EXACTLY the same problems on my 2001 XK8. Neither one of them occurred on my 1999 XK8. Has anyone else had either or both of these issues on their late model XJs or XKs?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• litlrivrlitlrivr Member Posts: 11
    I have driven an XJ8 through two northern Michigan winters but not in the worst driving conditions. Tried it once or twice; didn't like it. The car has Dunlop Wintersport M2 winter tires, hardly the most aggressive treads, still they are pretty good snows. If you drive this car routinely on hard packed snow you will be in for frequent thrills, regardless of what you put on the wheels.
    The car has ASC etc.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    It is great to see you posting again. With your knowledge and help many folks will enjoy owning a Jaguar. Have a question for you. My elderly neighbor is giving up driving because of failing eyesight and is selling a 1989 XJ6 with the 3.6 engine. The car has 56K and is spotless. He is asking 5K ono for the car. I've driven him to medical appointments in the car and it seems virtually new while driving. No squeaks, rattles or other signs of malfunction. Are there any weak spots to look for before I get myself into trouble? It would be great to own another Cat. I drove a '75 XJ6L for 23 years and well over 100K and had minimum troubles, even from Joe Lucas.
    Thanks for your valuable advice on this one.
  • dave239dave239 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

after nearly getting sucked into a cadillac I came back to buy another XJ6. it is a 1996 and quite minty for it's age. I figured if I could live through owning an 89 XJ6 that it could have only gotten better. But in all fairness to the 89 it was agreat car when it was not in the shop.
    As to the 96 I just got, it has alloy wheels which just dont appeal to me. I am looking to know which other Jag wheels commonly will fit this car and more importantly, which WONT. I know when shopping via placed like eBay parts and such the sellers are not always knowledgible and simply want to sell. I see a lot of nice Jag wheels for sale, but not all of them came off an XJ6. I will presume that newer Jags like the X-Type and S-Type probably aren't compatible?? Which is a pitty because I saw some very attractive wheels that have come off of those. But would wheels for newer XJ8s or XJRs fit? I love wires but no better than to tread there as for what I have been told they basically are terrible to maintain. They cost too much and most importantly the quality of ride suffers with wires. Are these claims factual? Id be just as happy with a nice set of chromes but would like some input before simply taking one sellers word that they will fit properly. is there a place on the net that lists the compatibility of wheels within the Jag family? Also, I really want a wood steering wheel, but not fond of the idea of paying the dealer $500 or more to put one on. Is there a less expensive fix for it or am I basically just going to have to bite it and go to the dealer?
    Thanks in advance!
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    Does not always go down all the way. Is this a part that should be lubed somehow?
  • cat_ownercat_owner Member Posts: 4
    I have never owned a Jaguar before, but I have always loved (my wife would say "lusted after") the XJRs. Up until recently I couldn't really afford one either, but now it looks like used 99 XJRs (or at least some of them) are selling at a price I can afford.

There are 2 similar 1999 XJRs available here in town; one is a certified XJR at a local Jaguar dealer with an asking price of $40K (but the sales agent said they could probably sell it for $35K), but right next door at a Volvo dealer they have the same car (same colors, similar mileage and condition) for only $29K.

I like the lower cost of the 2nd car, but I am very concerned about potential problems with a car that is out of warranty. XJR woes such as those reported by "jlapcat" have me concerned, especially without the new car warranty coverage.

Any recommendations?
    What would a third party extended warranty cost?
    What third party extended warranty companies are good/bad?

My wife is recommending a new Lexus IS300 instead, which I can get for about the same price. But my heart really prefers the XJR.

Any and all replies (public and private) are welcome.

Craig in California
  • vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    Can't wait for the cat calls on this one.
    I saw the new XJ in the flesh yesterday and although it would be futile to dispute Wild Bill's assessment of what is probably a mechanically and ergonomically superior automobile, built for capture of a larger share of the luxury car market, there was one huge thing absent......presence. That feeling I get when I stand next to many Jaguars, that feeling like your in the presence of a passion for the automotive art.....is gone. In all candor, I felt cues from the Ford Taurus.
    maybe it's gonna take a while to warm up to it, but it seems to have bloated it profile (check out the sheet metal between the top of the rear wheel well and the deck lid), which explains the increase in trunk space but at what cost to design?
    It seems the emphasis at Jaguar is shifting from tradition and design to market share and utility.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I would have to disagree re the previous comment. I have seen the new XJ on the dealer's showroom near the older model and unless you are knowledgeable they could be mistaken for the same model. I see this as an advantage since I like the current series. I have a 2001 XKR convertible and before that a 1998 XK8 convertible. Since I also need a sedan when taking more than one passenger I have in the past had to rule out the XJ8 because of it's small trunk and cramped interior. I currently have a 99 Mercedes S500. I look forward to seriously being able to replace the Mercedes with the XJR\XJ8 if it turns out to be as much of an improvement as it initially appears.
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    I went to an open house at my dealer the other week and checked out the new XJ series cars. I felt like I was standing next to and sitting in a Lexus!

It just didn't feel the same to me. I like my '97 VDP. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like the fact that the hood of the car opens up the way it does on the older XJ's.

The new model has a "plain old hood". Just another bit of esoteric styling that is going away.

I didn't drive the car, but I doubt that would sway me. If I want more HP, I'll upgrade to a V8 '98-'03 VDP.

Cheers
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    Different strokes for different folks. They're all great cars IMO, and I wouldn't mind any of them (though the S-type R is next on the list of cars to get).

No Jaguar has a "plain old hood," it has a "bonnet." :-)
    Ok, here's where I show my ignorance...

I have a burned out foglamp. The dealer wants $230 plus $45 labor to replace it. I assume it's halogen because they tell me HID isn't available for my model year and they won't install them.

I found an H3 Xenon HID kit for around $540 that includes two bulbs and two sets of ballast, plus a wiring harness. Given the cost to replace ONE bulb at the dealer, this seems like a reasonable buy..

But I don't know if these kits will fit my car. Are the Jaguar foglamps sealed beam units? Or it it as simple as removing the burnt out bulb and replacing it with the H3 HID bulb, then connecting the ballast?

The Jaguar dealer is being completely unhelpful since I'm talking to them about desacrating the original equipment.

Advice??

Thanks!
    You're right, it's a bonnet.. How silly of me to forget that :-)
    Wow.. $35K for an XJR... I paid $36K for my 97 VDP+extended warranty two years ago. I would have loved an XJR!

The extended warranty will set you back around $2,800. I haven't used mine much, but if I have a major problem, I'm covered for the cost of the $100 co-payment. If you buy a car under Select Edition warranty, you can always add the extended warranty after the SE warranty runs out (which will be soon).

Bill (or someone else) will tell you what to look for. I suppose all things being equal, lower miles is better, but lower price makes for smaller monthly payments.
    Yes, the aerial should be cleaned and lubed. My radio displays the message "Clean Aerial" about every 3 months.
    It's perfectly understandable. You were just getting over the shock of it opening the wrong way, and forgot what to call it. :-)

I personally agree with you, in that the touches such as the bonnet's opening direction, etc. should have stayed on the 2004 model, despite that not being mainstream. It made up part of the uniqueness of the car, and Jaguars are not cars for everyone, so they should be a little quirky (for lack of a better adjective). Thank goodness the J-gate stayed! The bonnet opening this way works on the models like S-type and X-type, however, because they opened in the direction they do today the same way on the original 60's S-type and Mk 2.

Cheers!
    I don't know how long it has been there but it has hardened onto the wood in one area. Any idea what will take it off without eating the varnish of the wood?
    I would just keep using a damp, soft towel and allow the moisture to loosen the coffee without allowing it to soak the wood. Jaguar wood is pretty durable, and the varnish is thick, so damage should be difficult. I would never try to scrape anything off it though. Just rub it gently with a moist towel; I would think that would remove it.
  • graymulegraymule Member Posts: 1
    I am currently a BMW owner but seriously considering XJ8. Local Dealer has 2003 with 8000 miles - they are asking 47k for it - Carfax report is clean although previous owner was a major car rental place.

So here's my questions - does this sound like a decent price and what about it being from a car rental agency - a little concerned about this.
    Does anyone expect the current XJ8's to depreciate even faster with the new 2004 styling coming out...
  • vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    I always try to be careful with this stuff. Buying a Jag seems more of an emotional decision than a logical one. I just spotted a 2002 XJS at expomc.com with a bit over 12K on the clock at a "buy it now" of under 37K and a 2002 XJ8(L) with 7500 miles for 37.5K and there's probably some room to work with. Granted, they're a year older and you'd have to ship, but basically they're the same car. I bought from these guys, the car was great and the money I saved was significant.
    FYI, my brother in law was the GM of a nationally known rental outfit in Las Vegas and said he'd never buy a car off a rental lot. The client that rents a Jag is probably not going to abuse it (unless it's Bill.....then it might go to the track) and there's plenty of warranty time left, but buyer beware.
    On the last question....it's anybody's quess. Jaguars depreciate like any other luxury car. I think most XJ's are attractive automobiles long term. The new car seems to have significant torsional rigidity improvements and engineering advancements but I wouldn't bet that those issues translate into accelerated depreciation for older models.
    Good luck Jag hunting. You'll never regret owning a good one.
    I've actually been considering a 7 series (older model) any suggestions?

DC
  • docmeyerdocmeyer Member Posts: 6
    Well against my better thinking I did it. If it wasn't for the fact it was a real one owner, church lady, garage kept, cared for, never smoked in, radio not blasted owned I wouldn't have bought it (for $2500). Three typical problems, check engine light (to be determined), a/c doesn't blow cold (hoping for a freon charge fix) and the all to typical cracked tail light lenses (but found a good deal $98 a pair).

It has 123K miles on it and won't be a daily driver. My first question, will synthetic oil do it any good? And last but not least, is ther eany problem areas I should look for before I'm stranded on I-95?

Thanks,

Doc
    Congrats and welcome to the club!

123K miles and church-lady-owned?! Must have been a lonnggg drive to church!

If I were you, I'd make sure the hoses are okay. If any are OE, they might be a little brittle.

If you see a jade green VDP on I-95 with a license plate that reads CYBR COP, beep and say hi.
  • beardwnbeardwn Member Posts: 2
    i'm so glad i bought a 2003 XJR because the last thing i need is a longer, wider, taller XJR. if
    people want boats, let them buy lincolns. also,
    the interior on the '04 isn't as nice as the '03.
  • mktgdocmktgdoc Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of buying a new car. I'm considering a new 2003 XJ8, Infinity Q45, or Acura RL. I fully realize the RL is not in the same class as the other two; a new body style is now available for the 2004 XJ8 and a new body style will be available soon for the RL. I drove all three cars. The XJ8 had a lot of wind noise, but its handling was better than the other two.

My concern is I want a car that I can drive every day, about 100 miles, without having to make a trip to the dealer for mechanical or electrical "adjustments" every other week. I also plan to hold onto the car for a very long time, about 10 years.

Is the XJ8 as reliable and dependable as the upscale Japanese cars? I have absolutely no interest in a Benz, BMW, Audi, Caddilac, or Lincoln. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I have owned two XK8s ('99 and '01), which share pretty much everything except the body with the XJ8. The few things that have gone wrong have been minor annoyances (we had to have the seat memory module replaced, for instance). Neither car ever even threatened to strand us. I wouldn't have any concerns in that regard. In addition, I own the '01 because the '99 saved my wife's and my butts in an accident that got the driver of the other car (a Pontiac Grand Prix) carried away on a backboard, so I rate the safety aspect pretty good too. And they are God's own pleasure to drive. As a final note, however, I would do some serious side-by-side comparison between the '03 and the '04. The ergometrics in the '04 are considerably better, and it has the 4.2L engine and the 6-speed automatic, neither of which (I believe) the '03 has.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

I thought the XK8 shared a chassis with the old XJS, and that the XJ8 was on a different chassis. Are XJ8, XK8, and XJS all really on the same platform? I will agree that all Jaguars are built like tanks though!
  • mktgdocmktgdoc Member Posts: 2
    You've answered a number of my questions about the car's dependability. Thanks. I'm not going to buy anything until after the summer. The Infinity rep said about that time there should be some deals on the 03 Q45, bringing that car to under $49k.

I didn't drive the '04 but did sit in it. Its interior space much larger than the 03. I'm 6'2" and had trouble touching the pedals with the driver's seat pulled back. Loads of head room in the 04. There's also more lateral room shoulder to shoulder. The 04 seats seemed less snug. The 04 lost the chrome window trimmings. I didn't notice the engine displacement, but 4.2 for the 04 seems right.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major daily newspaper is interested in talking with Jaguar XJ owners. She wonders: what do you like about your XJ, and what don't you like? What do you think about the quality of your vehicle? Please respond with your daytime contact information and your XJ's model year by Friday, June 6 to jfallon@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Well - I have looked at the new XJ - sat in it - invited to drive, but declined - for now.

Question - in real world driving at highway speeds (say 65 - 75) what fuel mileage do XJ8s return? EPA = 28 = pretty good, for for this class.

Thanks!
    - Ray
    Also impressed with the range that the 22.5 gallon fuel capacity might provide . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I will add that I am interested in the more recent 4.2 / 6-speed trans. versions. . .
    Thanks again,
    - Ray
    Wondering if over 550 miles on a tank is actually possible . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    It may be possible, but with my bladder it's largely irrelevant.

• jglvsinitjglvsinit Member Posts: 1
    Recently took possession of a 2001 XJ8.Great car and a great deal.As a long time MB tech now retired and on to other things,I insist on changing my own oil.Does anyone have a reference for oil type and weight for this non-supercharged v8?
    I concede your point regarding bladder size.

I find, however, when I am travelling alone, a "bathroom / drink" break is a lot quicker than that plus a "fill your fuel tank".

And when I travel out of Georgia (lowest gasoline taxes in the lower 48) it gives me a chance to fill before I cross the state line and after I return.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Adverse to catheters . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Your point is well taken, there are many more places to empty than to fill up. With regard to the gasoline taxes advantage, I live in California, which doesn't have the lowest taxes on anything. If I lived closer to the Oregon or Nevada border though, this would be a consideration.

• rap246rap246 Member Posts: 1
    Hi-
    Living in Silicon Valley is enabling me to take advantage of lease turnbacks. As you can image, with the "boom" "gone bust", I have many cars from which to choose.

With that in mind, I am seriously considering an XJ8. Trying to decide on the year.

My questions: Is there significant difference/improvement or problems in the XJs from 2001-2002? (even in the 2000s).

I need advice and guidance as to what to stay away from, watch out for, etc.

(I know look for low mileage, etc. ---besides that).

Thank you for your time.

You can email me directly-rap246@sbcglobal.net
    My car is coming up on 105,000 km(65k miles).
    I live in Edmonton which is the City of Potholes but I am wondering if the noise I am getting from road bumps and train tracks is tired shocks. Is 60,000 miles early for shock replacement? If so, do I look at OEM or is there a cheaper aftermarket option?
    How much and where did you find it? I was underneath the car at a lube shop a while back and I noticed the piping is pretty skinny. What about a fabricated system? I know from experience with turbo 6s that as long as you can tap your plumbing to fit the O2 sensors the motor doesn't care what it's blowing into. Obviously with an s/c you have to be selective about the pipe diameter but is there any reason not to build something?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Must remember to fix subscriptions!

What did I miss?

And you sure as heck can upgrade the exhaust on an XJR... I know of a 98 in FL with 100K miles or so with 3" pipes.

Sounds DAMN good!
    While I don't yet own an XJR (see post 1696), I did some research on XJR exhaust system upgrades for my eventual purchase. I found several European suppliers which make performance exhaust systems for the XJR, mostly very expensive.

But Borla, one of the largest American performance exhaust product suppliers, also makes a stainless steel exhaust system for the XJR.

Good luck,
    Craig in Carlsbad Ca.

P.S. Welcome back Bill, I've missed your experienced and knowledgeable commentary in this forum.
    Good to be back :)

The Borla is the one to go with.. I had an Arden one and it did Nothin.
    I've posted this before, but received very little feedback, so I thought I'd try again.

--------------------

I have never owned a Jaguar before, but I have always loved (my wife would say "lusted after") the XJRs. Up until recently I couldn't really afford one either, but now it looks like used 99-00 XJRs (or at least some of them) are selling at a price I can afford.

I recently looked at a 99 XJR at a local Volvo dealer for only $29K (great condition with only 38k miles, but out of warranty). There is also a very similar 99 XJR at the local Jaguar dealer with an asking price of $40K (Select Edition, and recently reduced to $36k).

I like the lower cost of the 1st car, but I am very concerned about potential problems with a Jaguar that is out of warranty. XJR woes such as those reported by "jlapcat" have me concerned, especially without the new car warranty coverage.

Any recommendations?
    Do I need warranty coverage or they reliable enough (I know this is highly subjective but I had to ask)?
    What would a third party extended warranty cost?
    What third party extended warranty companies are good/bad?

My wife has been recommending a new Lexus IS300 instead, which I can get for about the same price. But my heart really prefers the XJR.

Any and all replies (public and private) are welcome.

Craig in Carlsbad, Ca
    Craig.Cline@trw.com
    Well..

There will always be people who claim to have lemons, as they say, you tend to hear from a dissatified owner 10 times and 1 out of 10 satisfied owners.

I have owned and sold Loads of XJRs.. they have proven to be very well made and reliable vehicles.

$6,000 for a 2 year extended warranty? HA HA HA!

If it's low miles and good color, $29K is a good price for the 99.

99 XJR or 03 IS?

Well I am a manager at a Lexus store and I am looking for a 1998 XJR myself.

Bill
    Thanks Bill.

I assume by your laughing at $6000 for a 2 year warranty, that you are referring to the higher cost of the XJR at the Jaguar dealer not being worth it.

I was of the same opinion, but confirmation is appreciated.

Are there any particular problems that I should look out for?

What do you consider to be a "good color"; black, red, BRG, ?

Craig
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I like the gold myself.....but you probably can't get the "R" in that color.
    I've noticed a groaning noise coming from under the car between the two rear wheels. This noise happens when the engine is turned on, but doesn't seem to matter whether the car is moving or sitting stationary.

Someone suggested it could be a fuel pump (in the rear?!). Does anyone know what this noise could be, and whether it's okay to drive a few hundred miles with it? I'm planning on driving to upstate NY over the 4th of July from VA and would like to take the Jag. Don't know if there's time to drop it by the dealer for repair before the holidays.

Thanks for any info.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It totally sounds like the fuel pump is doing the groaning. It could do that for thousands of miles, or go out on the next start. There's no way to tell or predict. Some pumps are noisy for years, then fail, some fail having never gotten noisy. Take the Jag, my advice, and a cell phone just in case.
  • lyrickylalyrickyla Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

I have a 1996 XJ6 that will not start if I wash the car. I have to then disconnect and reconnect the battery. I have taken it to the mechanic and they said there is nothing wrong with car.

Any thoughts?
  • lyrickylalyrickyla Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

Does anyone know of a good mechanic in Atlanta?
  • ford624ford624 Member Posts: 75
    I test drove a new XJ8. It sure did seem like a very good drive. Have you test drove one yet? What were your impressions. What have the editors said about them?
    "Thanks"
    Jack
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    Hello Bill, I am sorry but I do not know who to ask. I have changed the low beam head lights on my XK8. How do you adjust the low beam lights? Do you adjust the low beam thru the wheel well? Where could I find out how to adjust them? Thanks for all your help

JMan
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    ... at the local Jag dealers' "ride and drive". I was very impressed with the updates to the suspension, especially the improvements in steering "feel". I'm comparing the 2004 to my wife's 2001 model.

If it wouldn't cost so much to step up, I'd do it in a heartbeat!