Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Welcome to the "world of the Jaguar cats" !

The driving experience of the Jaguar cannot be matched by another.
    I many ways, we Jag enthusiasts have "love affairs" with our motorcars and a loyalty that few marquees can claim.

Looking forward to hearing from you often.
    Christchurch
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Ummm...

What do you mean "other marques"??

Other companies make cars???

:)))))

Bill
    How right you are !
    Of course, we cannot compare a "Jag cat" to anything else, for Jags are, perhaps, the last of the "classic" motorcars. They have personality,
    uniqueness and have the smell, feel, sound and verve that is distinctive of Jag and Jag alone.

To compare a Jag with a Benz or BMW just can't be done for they seem bred with such different driving characteristics Similar but oh,so different.

"There is nothing like a Jag"!
    "Nothing in the world"!

Here is hoping that she never looses her "virginity" !

christchurch
    By the way, what flag are you flying?
    Although I recognize most,please do not be offended by my ignorance on this one.
    Just curious.
    christchurch
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Thank you, christchurch, for the acknowledgement!

I'm hoping to leave here with a new XJ. Is there any truth to my hope that, as a further token of your good wishes upon my arrival, someone will provide me with one?

Actually, my first car was a Jaguar, an XK140. Now, don't get all excited ... my father bought it for me when I was 14 years old and I could talk of nothing else but cars, and especially sports cars. The key was -- it didn't run. He told me that if I could get it moving I could have it. I struggled mightily of course, but the closest I came to motion was when I would have one of my friends help me push it from one side of the back yard to the other. I picture my father looking carefully from the side of one window or another and laughing uproariously.

But the taste was fatal, and I've been in love ever since.

What's your first memory of Jaguar?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Hold your cursor over it and a little banner pops up with the flag name.
    BTW, I thought Armenia was red with a black raven. When did they get a new flag?
    I'm part Armenian so I selected it :)

And... I think I hear voices of dissention out there.. Could it be that those whodesire toown a Jag are not driving one???

God, as cheap as 93-94s have gotten... and 95s... there's no excuse!

Bill
    Thanks for the advice on putting the cursor over the little flag to discover its origin.
    Here is another plus for admiring Jag cars... you can learn computer "tricks of the trade" !

Let me suggest, on "a Jag note", that the way to buy a Jag is to buy one of the certified models.
    The deep discount by buying back a couple of years makes the Jag very affordable. Couple that with the "certified warrenty" and you have a really fantastic deal.

This is one of the "great secrets" because people think that Jags are priced out of sight and out of their buying range.

My advice to all who would like to part of our Jag family is to make a visit to your Jag dealer.
    If you take your time and are not in a hurry, let them know what you are looking for and what price range you can afford. My expierence is that they are very accommodating and will do their best to find the Jag that is just right.

A lot of our friends have happily joined our Jag family this way and become along with us Jag enthusiasts !

christchurch
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    I was looking at replacing my '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The new Jeeps were running around $36K.

For a lark, I decided to meander over to my local Jaguar dealer, since I've been eyeing Jag's for years and always telling myself, "Someday...".

Well, the new 2001's were nice, but with stickers at and above $70K, they were a little rich for my blood, and the S-Type at $50K fully loaded didn't do anything for me, but I did think the NAV system and talking computer were pretty cool!

Then I noticed the Pre-owned (Fancy word for "USED") cars on the lot... Suffice it to say that I was completely blown away to discover that they had Jaguars, actual Jaguars, on the lot with sticker prices as low as $15K!

I was in Pre-Owned Heaven! I test drove about six of them! I finally settled on an immaculate, off-lease '97 Vanden Plas that had had only 28K miles on it. There were a few 98's and 99's as well, but the price difference was over $10K for the '98 and the only difference I could see was the steering-wheel-mounted controls and the V8 engine over the In-Line-6.

I ended up driving away with an XJ/VDP for $32K!

I've done some research and thinking since I bought the car. I don't really need to command the Enterprise, so I don't think I really need the voice-activated computer system. And for $2,000 I can get an aftermarket GPS/NAV system installed should I get the urge to bring my kitty into the Space Age.

Even if I get the GPS installed, I'll have spent LESS than I would have had I replaced the Grand Cherokee!

Shhhh!!! Don't tell anybody...
    places like this provide a comfortable environment for fantasy and vicarious thrills. It is indeed coming up some day but now is not the moment. (I'll try to be real quiet when you're talking about the real cars!)

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Used is the way to go.

I bought my 95 Vanden Plas new....

Never again!

My dad's 97 XJ6... 48K miles.. immaculate... bought it at the Jaguar Credit auction for just under $24K back in the fall. Granted I'm a dealer and I bought it sorta cheap.. but, hell..

Hmmm "Do I drive a Jaguar or a new Bonneville?? Hmmm..."

And I also bought mine own coveted 99 XJR at the auction. 18K miles and perfect. Savedover $20K on that one too.

A used Jag is as reliable as anything new you can buy... and with market on 98 XJ8s hovering around $30K-33K at this point for an SWB... I know I'd rather have one than an Acura TL or ES300!

Bill
    Why is it a fantasy?

Doesnt have to be silly :)

In a recent Orlando Sentinel:

"1994 Jaguar XJ6. One Owner, 71K, New Pirellis, Flamenco Red with Tan Leather, Immaculate condition, $10,950 firm, car is in Winter Park..."

Hmm.... get a loan from peoplefirst.com

Bingo. $250/mo for 48 months borrowing $10K against it and you're driving a Jaguar for Hyundai money.

Bill
    I nominate that for the Quote of the Month Award!
    It's not the money, actually, though you folk are very encouraging on that score, too. It's where I live. For the past 32 years I've lived in the snow belt on a dirt road (ruts & all). I'm one of those who actually needs a truck and I've always driven fwd or awd beaters to avoid messing a nice ride up. It would be just plain immoral to make a Jag live up here I think.

The hope part is that we plan to move within the next couple of years since our last one has graduated from school.

So, there y'go ... why I'd like to listen in (& maybe ask an occasional question) for awhile.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    To all who believe that Jags are unaffordable, please read our last several messages. Granted our dealer friend has a bit of an advantage but I can assure you that if you are "Jag hopeful" then check around you will be surprised.

As our Jeep Cherokee friend said, he was able to enter true luxury and discover an unbelievable driving expierence.

For the same money you would put into a lesser car you can "come up" to the Jag expierence. And I mean experience !

There is really nothing in the auto world quite like these cats!
    Jags are babied, cuddled and taken care of .... handled with kid gloves. They have personalities and "become a member of the family". They are like a "special friend" or more like a "loved one".

Many of us even "talk to the animal".... "you were great today", "you really purred tonight",
    "rest up and I will see you in the morning", .... I can only imagine what our neighbors think ! ! !

Bottom line, no one who truly loves automobiles should ever be without one !

Jags are really the "cats meow" !

christchurch
    Point taken.

So go pick up a rusty 88 XJ40 for $1,500 and throw snow tires on it :)

JK...

Bill
    I must say that a $1,500 Jag might be pushing it a bit. I was thinking more along the line of 1996 to date models. They represent the newer engineering and considerable reliability. Of course, this is not to say that I wouldn't want a MK series if I could find a good one.

I guess the advice is still the same:
    buy as new as you can and secure the certified warranty or another extended warranty if you can find one (I think the jury is still out on this one).

Mileage could be a consideration, too. Yet, I have heard some terrific stories about "high mileage" Jags still speeding along with little or no major problems.

But, I will look for the $1,500 deal you elude to.
    along with any land "buys" you have in Florida. ha !

Seriously, there are great buys on Jags out there.
    Don't pass them by.
    Jaguar ownership and driving is worth every effort.

You know what ? All this discussion has talked me into a quick drive this evening out to the Jag dealer to "look around". This could be dangerous because, as usual, my sales resistance to Jags is very low. I am always in the buying mood.

So, hold your breath, I might just be bringing home another beauty !

christchurch
    Actually..

The new AJ6 (88-94), AJ16 (95-97) and AJV8 engines are very very durable.

Mine own 95 Vanden Plas has nearly 125,000 miles on it as we speak! And it's been the most reliable car i have ever owned.. and I've owned a TON of cars.

Bill
    I concur that Jags are excellent motorcars.

Of course, there are always the exceptional one that has more than its share of quirks. Lucas electrical systems were strangly quirky, indeed. But, newer Jags have benefited from sound engineering and top flight quality control.

In fact, today, you seldom ever see a drop of oil on the garage floor. This observance led to a comment from an astonished friend who asked sarcastically, "How can it be a Jaguar if there is no oil on the pavement ?"
    [ I might say, he is the same friend who often kids me by telling me that "Jaguars are a mechanics best friend !" ]
    So much for friends and so much for the reputations of yesteryear.
    Today, a Jag is one fine automobile and, I dare say, even getting better.

My philosophy in keeping a great car great is to faithfully and rigorously maintain good maintance.
    There is no substitute for frequent oil changes with the best lubricants, top grade fuels, and scrupulous mechanical oversight. That is, when anything needs attention it gets it before something gets out of hand. In fact, I have great mechanics who love the cars as I do and take the extra personal touch.

These Jags are really fine automobiles in so many ways.

So lets spred the word and let's keep the Jaguar tradition of excellence alive !

christchurch
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I bought my '01 XJR new, and it's a beautiful car and all, but to this day I can't shake off the feeling that I did waste money somewhat too frivolously. There really is not much added benefit to a new car, since luxury cars tend to hold up quite well. I made a mental note for the future: no matter how much money I *could* spend, I'll still buy used again in the future.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    That is so true pablo- cars lose their value too fast these days to be spending the extra money. Buy a one year old jaguar, and you are getting practically a new car, for a fraction of the price. My Jag was used and we have had no problems.

But, I must say this. There is a difference in buying something quality used and buying something that was cheap to begin with used. If I was in the market for a Kia or something, i might buy new, because I doubt it's going to last me long anyway. It's a bad stereotype, but I doubt a company like Kia or Daewoo is going to put a lot of engineering into their cars, when they sell for $12,000 USD. But a Jaguar, that was $70,000 new, is going to be great 3,4, or even 10 years down the road with proper maintenance~ A.R.
    Don't feel bad.

XJRs hold their value very very well, better than anything else (With the possible exception of an XKR... ) with the leaper badge on it.

The worst depreciator is the Vanden Plas, but even it isnt that bad.

Put it this way, I bought my Meteorite/Charcoal 99 XJR a few months ago at a dealer auction. 18K Miles when I bought it, totally flawless, no paintwork..etc...

Really nice car. If I recall It was a reposessed car. Not as bad as it sounds tho... many Jags (Most actually) are leased and often in the name of a business. Business goes under.. car goes to auction as a repo.

I Paid $44,000 for it across the block, which was top dollar but it was niiiice. Throw in $600 shipping from St Louis, $400 auction fee, $700 or so for a pair of back tires and we're into the car for $45,700. Figure if a Jag dealer bought it to select edition it they'd have another $1,500 on top of that in expenses for inspection and cost of warranty.

Retail would be $53-54K or so.

Means you can put your car in the paper in 2 years and get $50K for it or better.

$20K in depreciation on a $70K car after 2 years... Not that bad really. Comparable or less to what a Mercedes or BMW in that price range would cost ya.

Heck, S-Types are doing very well resale-wise so far... so it's not that bad really :)

Bill
    I thought your discussion of resale values is right to the point.

Let the depreciated value of a Jag be to your advantage. Those who wish to drive a first class automobile at the cost of, say, a high end Buick, can wait a few years till the price is in the same bracket.... low thirties.

But what a difference between a Buick and a Jag.
    Sure, the Jag is a few years old, but so what. Buy it will low mileage and it is just "broken in". These cars are there for the duration. Jags with 30-40K miles on them is really nothing

So, the advice remains... buy back a couple of years... buy "off lease"... buy "certified" but by all means buy a Jag.
    The pleasure will be all yours and you have saved yourself a bundle in the process.
    Moreover, look what you have....a first class automobile and a first class automotive driving expierence!
    You can't beat it!

christchurch
    Another point I'd like to make:

Nothing slaughters, (and when I mean slaughter I mean riup the throat out of) the value of a Jaguar like high miles.

Since most were leased for 36 month periods when new, there's now a good supply of 98 XJ8s on the market.

Currently it's quite possible to find 98 XJ8s for $25-35K. However, $35K is going to be a good color with low miles, say, a 30K car in Silver, Topaz, Spindrift White, Sapphire or Carnival.

That same car in Anthracite or Racing Green can be up to $2K less. And that same car with 50K miles is going to sell for the upper $20Ks. 20K miles saves you $7,000. Weird as at lease-end it's a $4,000 penalty!

Want an XJ8 for $22-23K? Find one with 70K miles on it or so. And, you know what? That's a car that I wouldnt hesitate to drive for another 100K miles with proper care.

Want a Jag for $12K? Find a 90K mile 95 XJ6... yup, they're out there and they are wonderful cars. However that car in Topaz or Glacier white with 40K on the odometer is a $18K car easily.

A thought...

Bill
  • hollie38hollie38 Member Posts: 1
    I can relate to the person who said you really get attached to your jaguar, I know because I am one of those people. I have a 95" Van Den Plas in rosewood bronze and I even have a name for her. There is nothing quite like a jaguar, in performance, safety and beauty.
    I've had my Jade Green 95 Vanden Plas (With I bet the same interior color...Creme) since new.

125,000 troublefree miles later... I still love the car.

Bill
    PS.. It's actually called "Rose Bronze" and the color chart listed it as "Rose Bronze Mica"(It's a pretty high-tech mica based finish). It was a 1995-Only color and available on the XJ12 and Vanden Plas sedans as well as all 4 XJS models, not the standard XJ6.

I think you have one of about 220 VDPs made in that color that year.
    Holly, welcome to our bunch of Jag admiring enthusiasts
    You are right on the money in saying that you love your car. Is there anything nicer than seeing our leaping Jag glistening in the sun and encouraging us to "open her up" on the highway?
    No automobile I have ever driven, and I have owned and driven some fine marques, is quite like a Jaguar!

By the way, what did you name your cat?
    These Jags do take on personalities, don't they?
    christchurch
    Bill,

Thanks for your encouragement to all would be Jag owners. You provided some good solid financial advice and inducement.
    You points are right on target, again.

I would second the notion that price breaks on mileage considerations.
    I would assure all potential owners to not consider higher mileage vehicles "out of the question". In fact, higher mileage cars can actually provide quite a price bargain. For, by buying at a low price, the buyer can afford putting some additional money into the car to be sure it is up to the "T". And, consider it money well spent.

I do think it prudent, however, to pick up a car
    that is certified by Jag and carries a 100,000 mile factory warranty extension.

Color is a matter of personal preference for me.
    I know you are right that some colors are in demand and it sounds as though Holly got a good one.

On the other hand, I have always loved British racing green, ever since my college roommate bought a beautiful MGB in BRG.
    Somehow, this color is just so... well, British !

Keep on line with your great advice and Jag buying knowledge. Any other tips?

christchurch
    Just a general question to (brentwoodvolvo - Bill) and others:

What is the fair price buying range for the following model years?

1996 -XJ6 VDP

1997 -XJ6 VDP

1998 -XJ8 VDP

1999 -XJ8 VDP

2000 -XJ8 VDP

What would the price increase be if "certified"?

What mileage range would you feel comfortable buying in?

Advice?

Thanks,
    christchurch
    Just an announcement of information regarding the new X type.

There is a good article (worth reading) by clicking Edmunds REVIEWS.
    The article has accompanying photos.

Looks like a cute little cat.

christchurch
    Hmmm.....

First, a Jaguar cannot be certified unless it's under the original manufacturers warranty. That excludes most 97s and all 95-96s at this point.

The cost alone on a certified car for the warranty is $895 and also I used to spend an average of $1,500 in recon (Brakes...30K service..new Pirellis) However, once it is certified as a Select Edition, the car is then certified until the warranty is up.

I'll base these on clean cars, free of paintwork with no more than 12K miles/year. Exceptionally low-mile cars are rarely a good deal IMHO. If I have to go and buy a 15K mile 98 VDP I'm going to have to pay stupid-high $$ for it.

Now, we do make $$ on used cars, but Jags are often seen with grossly inflated price tags I ought to mention. This will assume a certified car from the dealer so as they get newer the "spread" is going to increase to reflect that.

A clean 95 in a good color is worth about $20-21K or so retail assuming that it's clean..etc..and in a good color for it such as Topaz, Sapphire, Glacier White, Carnival or Ice Blue and with the right equipment (All 95-96s have CD Changers OEM, but if the car is in the Northern climates it better have Traction and heated seats). Car's worth about $16-17K or so wholesale.

A nice 96, again, same criteria as above, is going to be worth about $19-20K wholesale and about $23-24Kish retail. There's one guy who's had his 96 in the paper for $30K... No way.

A nice 97, now a Select Edition car, certified by the dealer, is going to be worth $28-31K retail. Wholesale will be $23-26K on that car.

A 98? Again, certified by the dealer, 36-39K retail, $31-34K wholesale.

99 as above... $38-41K wholesale, and about $43-46K or so retail.

00 as above.. $45-50K wholesale, $50-55K retail. Miles and color make a big swing here. $45K is closer to about 15K miles... 3-4K miles you're at the $50K level.

Hope this helps... But it's easier if I have a specific car to work on. Color can make or break these cars. Paintwork slaughters them..etc... so it's tough to go by a "guide"

Bill
    Which are the best colors for resale?

Which are the worst?

I have a Jade Green '97 VDP ($32K). Did I get screwed?
    Not if you like it.
    Bill,

Thanks for the thoughtful response on pricing.
    It is a big help coming from someone like you who has the "inside" knowledge of pricing. I am going to print a "hard copy" of your note for future reference.

I am wondering, though, if you agree that "certified" is the way to go. I have always thought it was the best way to buy and protect my "investment". Of course, this does necessitate buying through a dealer. Friends, have purchased from private sources and "foreign car used car dealers". They then have bought "extended warranties" at high prices and with very mixed satisfaction.

What is your thinking and your purchase advise?

christchurch

Jade Green, BAD????? Well, there's MY opinion (and my car) above! Nah... it really is a good color. Morocco Red (Which I love) and, (Sorry if I offend) Rose Bronze arent that hot at all for resale. Those would be the worst. Sherwood green (97) is not so hot and Spruce Green (96) is also pretty weak. BRG I'm afraid (95-96) is also weak.

Best color for a VDP is Topaz, Followed by.. hmm... Spindrift White and Jade are both good. White being a bit better IFF it has Coffee/Cashmere guts. Ice Blue is decent, Sapphire is good, Carnival is also good but I always did well with 97s that were Cabernet. On the 98+s Amaranth is terrible, Madeira is also weak as is Spruce.

$32K for a Select Edition car in a good color and clean? You paid a fair price assuming miles erent high. How many? And where in the country are you? Equipment?

Oh, Wire wheels hurt resale too. If you must have them, keep the stock wheels.

Bill
    I have two opinions on how to buy a Jag:

1) Go to a Jag dealer. Understand the following:

1) We spend an average of $2K or so certifying these cars and make a national average of $5,000 on used ones. Them's the facts. Might not be what you want to hear.... That being said: That car had damn well better be perfect, because you're going to pay a lot for it. However you have factory warranty, generally low APRs available, and a car that's been checked from stem-to-stern in detail.

2) Get tight with a wholesaler/used car dealer and have him grab you one from the sale. Unless it's under factory or select edition warranty.. it's gonna be totally AS-IS. You're buying a pig in a poke. Although it IS to a much lesser degree if you're smart enough to send the car throught he auction's mechanical and structural inspection after the sale and if you look it over beforehand. If you're not qualified to do this, you are playing russian roulette with your wallet.

OR

Find one from an Independent dealer or Private Party. You should expect a good whack of "book" retail as the car has probably not been inspected heavily and an independent generally rices them to sell and a Private party isn't certifying the car either. It never ceased to amazeme how people would try and sell their Jags on their own for more that the dealers were selling certified cars for.

"Hmmm, now why would I want to pay you MORE for this XJR than the dealer wants for one just like it with a fresh set of Pirellis and Brakes and a fresh 30K service and 4yrs and 70K of warranty on it?"

As far as extended warranties go... some are good, many are crap... it's really a crapshoot, but it depends on the company. With the lousy reputation of these cars (Now very undeserved) the warranty premiums are quite high for them. Generally these are not worth the $$. Considering what a Select Edition warranty adds to the car for what it costs the dealer to add in ($895 cost $1,495 MSRP) it's a bargain. I have yet to see an aftermarket 6yr/100K warranty for a Jag have a COST of under $2,500!

Bill
    Other than the obvious (time, mileage, warranty), what are the differences in features that make it worth the cost differential of moving up from 96 to 97 to 98 and on up to a brand new one?

this has been the most useful/interesting discussion I've listened in on in a long time! Thanks, and please keep it up. I'm making hard copy of many of these posts.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Bill,

Hey, Great-looking car!!

Thanks for all your friendly advice. I just wish I had found this site BEFORE I bought. I would have been better prepared.

I'm quite happy with my Jade Green VDP. The car had 28,800 miles on it when I signed the paperwork. It had all the options but two - the upgraded sound system and the 6-CD changer. I added the CD at my expense ($1,000 thru the dealership). The paint and interior are immaculate. After I took it home, I noticed that the under-hood toolbox was missing. It would have been nice if it was there, but I'm not that worried about it.

The nice thing for me was that the previous owner had the car serviced at the same dealership. The service records indicated that the car had already had its 30K mile service as well as the Select Service inspection. Unfortunately for me, the car was put into service in 10/96, making it inelligible for the select warranty. I had to add the after-market warranty for $2,800 extra.

I live in Northern Virginia. The base price of the car was $32K ($33K if you factor in the CD player).

Another nice(?) thing I've noticed about the car being jade green... it's the same color as the pollen that's currently covering everything outside. Aside from it looking a tad "dusty", it pretty much blends right in!

Cheers,
    Ron
    Joe,

96-97 there are very few differences. Heck, I'll list em:

Colors: Sherwood Green (Olivey dark metallic) replaced Spruce (Super Dark Green metallic). Morocco Red killed off, Racing Green dropped from the VDP as was Carnival Red. Cabernet introduced (Beautiful dark burgandy).

Rear seats went from a "bench-type" to more contoured a la the 95 VDP. CD Changer no longer standard, $1,000 option.

"Weather Package" still $2,000 but now the rear seats are heated too.

Umm.... rear-view mirror controls a bit different... umm... ummm.....

Oh, the XJ6L came out in '97 with the 4.9" wheelbase stretch and the XJ12 died.

Thats it that I can think of.

Sunroof is now standard across the range as is the "Convienience Pkg" (Always standard on the VDP/XJR/XJ12, Which is HomeLink, Auto-Dimming rear-view mirror, memory seats and power steering column).

On the 98s: The car is totally redesigned underneath. Complete mechanical makeover. Still has the same basic suspension design, but it's totally redesigned. Car goes to the 290HP AJ-V8 engine and 5-speed automatic transmission as well as a multiplex wiring harness (3 years ahead of Lexus). Side Air Bags standard. All-New dashboard, Traction is still an option but "ASC" is now standard (Much like the old trac system) and the new trac system is a bit better. Heck, almost everything is new. Wheels are no longer the beatiful 20-spoke diamond-turned alloys but these nasty and ughly "Crown" alloys. I hate them, also the center caps love to pop off. Wood in no longer "Square" on the doors but more of an oval shape. Front and rear bumpers and lights redesigned.

The dealer-installed PIVOTS Phone is introduced with voice-activation at an MSRP of $2,950

New VDP Colors: Sherwood Green and Jade Green die. Cabernet dies for Madeira Red (Mistake) and Amaranth comes out (Bad Idea... a PURPLE Jag? Sheesh!). Spruce Green returns, and Creme Interior color is changed to Ivory. Coffee is changed to the lighter Cashmere. Parchment (Jade Green looking) Interior is dropped.

99: Minor stuff really. Few color changes: Alpine Green is introduced (Nasty IMHO), Spruce dies for Emerald (Niiiice), and...umm.. Oh yeah it's no longer a piece of plastic around the shiftgate but vinyl! :) No more Sapphire Blue on VDPs (Stupid) so we special ordered em like we had been doing with Silver cars.

00: Navigation available, Amaranth dies finally, Westminster Blue is announced (Dark metallic blue, historical color) we can finally normally order a Silver (Now called Platinum) VDP, and Seafrost (Robin's egg blue) is new. Premium Sound is now by Alpine. Sapphire Blue returns.

01: New Wheels (Finally), Hideous new color called Roman Bronze (Metallic dogcrap), reverse park control stndard.

New car is introd in '02... It ought to REALLY be something! And glad ya like my posts!

Bill
    Ron,

That nice of a car? And you bought it a few months ago? You did quite well IMHO.. You paid about $4-5K over the car's then wholesale value. Figure they had $1K in recon costs (Even if I took a car in that JUST had a major service we always ran them through the shop, sounds like they did the 30K and the SE inspection.. I figure $1,200 if it didnt need brakes or tires). Figure they probably made $3K-3,500 on you which is fair. Remember, we make $$ on used cars, more so than on new and $2,500-3K over invoice is usually a strong deal on a new VDP.

They didnt rip your head off at all. Plus... the low miles... the condition..the color. In my opinion you did well and paid a fair price. Figure I used to average a $5,500 gross on a Vanden Plas... So you got a cheaper than market deal.

And dont feel bad. I paid close to $60K for mine in 95. Whats it worth with previous frame damage and paintwork all over and 125K miles? :)))))

Plus, nice VDPs like yours arent common.

The under-hood toolkits are not standard on US-Market cars. You can get them by special order from the dealer service dept.

And, of course, you have got great taste in colors if I do say so myself :)

Bill
    Not much in the way of significant changes, except for '98, at all.

but I think I'd steer clear of the 'metallic dogcrap'! Great!!

Thanks so much.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Which is worse. I think the purple. The Alpine actually worked in a strange way on the XJ's. It was truly frightening on a convertable.
    Joe,

If you can swing it.. go for a 98. Huge difference. Otherwise.. on the 96-97s.. like you said, go for condition and milesand price.

Bill
    Sheesh,

This from the guy who works for the Amaranth King? :)))) I dunno how long ya been there but that store ALWAYS had Amaranth cars in stock!

Yup, Amaranth is far worse than Alpine. Alpine on an XJ8 is so-so... and terrible on an XK8.

Both colors are pretty tough to shift. I wish they had kept Jade around myself.

Bill
  • actionmanactionman Member Posts: 15
    I can't imagine a fine Jag in any other color than black with tan interior. I have had a 1991 XJ6 version for several years. Updated with 1997 Turbine(?) chrome wheels and some too wide Z rated tires. It's quite a ride!
    Hello to all of you!

I can say that this XJ site contains some of the best purchasing discussions I have seen on line.
    It is practical,experienced based and "price unbiased" (Of course, we are all "Jaguar biased" because we Love These Cats) !

Keep these great comments and discussions coming our way.

Now let me weigh in with a bit "of sage advice"!

If you can afford it and wish to take advantage of the "buying back a few years ", 1998 is my recommended choice. The redesign by Coventry and Ford engineering has moved this model forward in sophistication a la Bill's (brentwoodvolvo) great summary above. It has many subtle improvements.

Now saying this, I am in no way depreciating the value and unique quality and beauty of older models. They, too, are still great cars. But, my point is that, if you are new to Jag or are "stepping up" in years and "down" in mileage and don't want to go all the way to buying new, I believe the 1998 XJ8 VDP is the very best choice.

In fact, I believe this so strongly that if in the market I would wait, shop and investigate all around until I found one that is just right.
    I have done this and it has always been a stategically right move ,if is not in a rush better choices are made.
    The 1998 is really one fantastic automobile, in my opinion, as good as it gets!
    Don't miss this one if you are in the market.

christchurch
    Interesting. In this morning's classifieds, a local Ford dealer has paid for a listing for a '99 XK8 convertible with 3000 miles. no price listed. This dealer is most often printing ads re: "1 owner F-150" or "like new Taurus." This shop is rumored to be crooked and known to be pretty high pressure.

Now, how would he end up with iron like this? Curious. I sure wouldn't want to pursue the car without a Carfax report. Or am I just a bigot? Is there any particular weakness in the XK8 that might take it away from Jag dealers or more likely venues? Maybe the owner traded it in on 6 or 7 Focuses?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Ford dealer most likely bought the car at auction or took it on trade from a really unhappy customer who just did not like the car.

Oh we still sell amaranth. '99 VDP just last weekend. It is still ugly, but hey whatever sells.
  • futurejagownerfuturejagowner Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 99 jag. I have seen the new x350 design and don't really like it.

My question:

Is it worth buying the 99 Jag or should I wait for the new redesign to come out? Will the new redesign drastically affect the value of my 99 Jag?
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    Are you sure you've seen the new X350 design? Just because there are images available in various auto magazines or on the internet, doesn't mean that is exactly what it will look like. I have seen the X350 in person, and in my opinion, there is nothing about it that would turn off somebody who likes the current model. What is it you don't like?