Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    What's that?
  • johncaliforniajohncalifornia Member Posts: 28
    The iPod is brilliant not just because of the hardware, but because of the music management software that comes with it. I'm a Windows guy, and the Matchbox application that is included with iPod provides the ultimate solution to keeping track of your music library -- which in my case consists of thousands of tunes. (Apparently the Apple iTunes application for Macs is in the same league.)

I like my X308's upmarket Haran Kardon sound system, but its 6-CD changer is stone-age to an iPod owner. I want my iPod to talk to my XJ8's stereo, dammit!

It turns out there are three ways to do get the two communicating. Possible solutions are nicely summarized in this Crutchfield article: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-wFBnej9Vvq4/reviews/20031230/- ipod_car.html?page=1

In increasing order of complexity, you can:

1) Plug your iPod into a cassette adapter via the headphone outlet

2) Connect to your car's FM radio via a wireless mini FM transmitter

3) Hard-wire to your car's FM radio via an FM modulator

Being the simple-minded type, I'm going for the first option. According to the reviews, Sony's CPA-9C MiniDisc/Discman Cassette Adapter is a great-sounding solution, and at $11 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005T39Y/103-843- 6965-9487058?%5Fencoding=UTF8) the price is right!

My older (20GB) iPod lacks the new model's docking port, so I'm going to get XtremeMac's iPod Car Charger (Firewire version) to keep the iPod's battery fresh during playback. (They also have a car charger for the new iPods.) See http://www.xtrememac.com/foripod/car_charger.shtml

Will it be possible to get iPod's fantastic sounds to my X308 for a pittance and with no wiring required? I'll know within a week or so. Will post my findings here.

John Mulvihill, technical writer, San Francisco Bay Area
    1998 XJ8, Anthracite/Charcoal
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Is some super concentrated, mule kick of a fuel system cleaner. IIRC, it sell for about $20 a can. Do a Yahoo search and you'll find a bunch of places to buy it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    It's a small (6oz) can of fuel additive. You pour one can in with a tank of gas. It cleans the fuel system and removes gunk. My jag dealer uses it when they do a scheduled service on my car. I pay between $20 and $25 retail for it. I sometimes use it in-between service visits.

If you have an older car and aren't sure when the last service was done, it's not a bad idea to dump a can into your fuel tank.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I currently own a 1998 Cadillac Deville with 35,000 miles on it. I generally trade cars when they reach around 50,000 miles. I am thinking of a Jaguar Sedan for my next car, probably 2001-02 model. Are there any members of this conference that have owned both Cadillac and Jaguar? Would appreciate owners comments regarding: build quality, reliability, comfort, maintenance costs and any other factor you would consider relevant to a decision.
    My Cadillac has been to this point very reliable and only repair has been replacement of an alternator. I like the Jaguar body style better than Cadillac but have heard that maintenance costs are higher for Jaguar.

Any comments by those with experience with both Cadillac and Jaguar sedans much appreciated.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I think you're right, maintenance will be higher on the Jag, but so will the refinement, the driving experience, feel and style. It's a totally different experience, believe me.

The Jags are reliable, not prone to breaking down, yet there are "things" that need attention probably more than with the Cadillac, and they may cost a bit more to fix too.

The trade off is in the fun. If the Jag moves you, it's worth the bother. If maintenance is your first priority, get a Lexus.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    but my question applies to XJ owners too. I have a 2001 XK8 with the DVD-based navigation system. I need to get an updated DVD. My local Jag dealer wants $398 for it. The system is a NavTech, but I don't see the XK (or XJ) Jag listed on their web site as a model that they have updated DVDs for. Does anyone know where to get one for only 1 arm or 1 leg, instead of one of each? Thanks.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I drove a VDP this afternoon and thought it was a great ride. Can someone tell me how the XJR rides? I am curious to see if it's too stiff for everyday commute. Dealer's don't seem to stock them much or perhaps they sell too fast.
  • balderman1balderman1 Member Posts: 5
    I drive an XJR to and from work every day. I have owned Mercedes, Lexus's, and a bunch of other "luxury" cars. After awhile they become just cars, but I look forward to driving my XJR every day. Not real fuel efficient, but I love it

Bill A Dallas
    As well as an Escalade, a Boxter and a S 55 AMG. The XJR is his favorite, and he's had no trouble with it, unlike the others.
  • exit16exit16 Member Posts: 6
    I'm planning to buy a 2002 VDP. Texascarsdirect in Dallas occasionally has some interesting listings. Has anyone had any experience with them re. reputation? quality of vehicles? willing to deal?

I'd appreciate any info about them.
  • do2709do2709 Member Posts: 3
    I too have just recently purchased a 1998 XJ8 with on 34,000 miles on it and the same thing has happened to me. I too took it to my mechanic and he told me that the throttle body was probably gone out, but he didn't have the machinery to check it out, only the dealer has such equipment.

I took it to a reputable Jag repair shop in West Holly wood and they cleaned out the throttle body. They told me that many times it just needs to be cleaned out. He ran a diagnostic test on the car and found two "codes", both relating to the transmission. I then took it to a transmission shop and they are quoting me $4200 to replace the trans. They said that it can cause the car to "turn off" while driving. It's happened to me 3 times, all while I was on the freeway, the latest time en route to Palm Springs going 80....had to coast to the shoulder where I had to let it sit for 10 minutes before it would start.

I'm frustrated as I still dont know exactly what is wrong with the car.

Let me know if you have shed any light on the situation.

darylolson@aol.com
    Although I didn't purchase my car thru them, I did fly to Dallas (I live in LA) to check out their facilities. The cars all seemed to be in VERY good condition, and their enclosed showroom was very clean. The car that I actually went to see ended up selling the day before (just my luck), but I was impressed with the quality and low mileage of most of the cars.

Hopes this helps some.
    This is an update to my message # 1910 where I wanted info re. texascarsdirect, a dealer in Dallas of pre-owned Jaguars. I'm posting an update because my experience was quite good and I think it may be helpful to be documented.

TCD has a large inventory of Jaguars and sells via the web, eBay and the old fashioned way. The only difference is there is no high pressure, no tricks and everything is as stated. Quite a refreshing difference.

I vetted TCD through Google searches, e-mails to eBay purchasers (12, 7 responded), Car Fax and eBay's SGS on-site third party inspection. Also I had several telephone conversations with TCD's staff. Everything was positive. On May 14 I wired a deposit on the car, a 2002 Vanden Plas with 11,600 miles on the odometer, 21 months/50,000 miles left on the warranty. Then I flew from New Jersey to Dallas and took possession of the Jaguar on May 20.

I spent about three hours at TCD checking everything out, plus road testing the car. The people couldn't have been nicer. Every question was answered and it was a most pleasant experience. The trip home of 1,550 miles was without problems and the car was a joy to drive.

I've never, ever considering buying a car this way until now. In the future I would certainly consider buying another car from TCD.
  • reyzayreyzay Member Posts: 1
    hello,
    I am currently interested in purchasing a 1999 XJR. But wondering how adequate are they for driving in the snow.
    The car currently has an all season tires (on its standard 18 inch rims). Would this be adequate for driving in the winter?
    Anyone has an experience with their XJR in the winter?
    Any advice would be highly appreciated...
    thanks you so much...
    I recently purchased a 98 XJ8 and for the past several months Ive been in heaven. However, recently I have experienced the car "shutting down" while I have been on the freeway going fast (very scary). I took it in and they said that the throttle body needed replacing the in tune of $3200. I then took it to a local Jag repair place and they cleaned the throttle body out and it seems to run better. But in the meantime, he said that I have transmission problems. He did a diagostic test and came up with 2 codes - P0735 and P1721....they both have to do with the transmission. They are quoting me $4200 to fix it. Anyone in the LA area that has a RELIABLE Jag mechanic I would love to hear from you. My car only has 35,000 miles on it and I feel it very strange that it needs a new trans...

Thanks,

darylolson@aol.com
    ...I would be hesitant to drive ANY car that expensive in the winter. The inherent corrosion damage alone, is enough to keep it off the road, as well as the possible damage from careless drivers on slippery roads.

My wife has a 2001 XJ-8, and it sits out the winters, covered up in the garage.
    My check engine light recently came on about 10 days ago. I took it in, they hooked it up to their computer, and advised me that the O2 sensors were out. There are four of them in the exhaust system and they were only $541.00 each. After I was revived, I got my XJR out of there and did a web search. I found them thru a California company for $99.99 each. A local "foreign car" garage put them on for $120.00. The dealer wanted almost $500.00.

My guess is that most Jag owners don't "how much will it cost?" and routinely get screwed.
    Why would all 4 go out simultaneously?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is an open invitation to the spam bot email harvesters and they WILL get you. Better to just make your address public in your profile. That allows logged in members to find it, but not the bots.

Might want to delete that message that includes your address and repost without it.

Hope this helps.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    P0735 Gear 5 Incorrect ratio

P1721 is not listed on this site:

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_17.htm

FWIW.

- Ray
    No expert on trans. repair – and hoping never to become one . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Probably only one went out, but was told that they have about a 65000 mile life. These had 82000 miles and I was advised that the others would probably fail one at a time in the next 15000 miles. Failures can also destroy the catalytic converter which is a $2200.00 item.

I am getting better gas mileage. I was obviously burning too rich. As an old Navy piston engine pilot, I have a better than average knowledge of fuel/air ratios.
  • ronaldcrossronaldcross Member Posts: 13
    I just replaced the Phillips speakers in my 2002 XJ8 (don't think I had the "Premium Sound" system) and installed Kenwood KFCP605ie speakers which I thought would be much more robust than the smaller, cheaper Phillips. Installation included a passive crossover for each speaker, and I wondered if possibly there was already a crossover built in further up towards the head unit. I haven't read about anyone replacing their speakers, and wondered if anyone had the same experience. Thanks!
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Exit16,
      Thanks for your info. I've been thinking of buying from Texas Cars Direct also. Were you able to negotiate on price at all? Also, did you have any registration hassles bringing back the car to NJ?
      Many thanks for your info

SV
  • vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    Been a couple of years since I've been on this site but good to know some of the familiar names are still around.....is Wild Bill still around?
    Hey, got a quick question I'm grappling with. I've researched everything on the site as regards XJ brakes and rotor problems but couldn't find a definitive answer.
    My Jag service center wants to charge me $300.00 per corner for rotors and pads. The car really needs it, it vibrates....almost violently at high speeds (not quite "Bill" speeds) when I apply the brakes. Normally, I'd just put my "I'm too busy not to be a sucker" hat on and have them do the work. The thing that bothered me is that I paid $500.00 2 years ago (only 10,000 miles ago) for new front rotors....that job was done by the same group of people (same folks, different dealership).
    Is this a job for Midas....or a reputable independent? Are there other options?? I don't want to necessarily "shop" safety...but $1200.00 every 10Kmi for brakes has me a bit nervy.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like the incorrect pads may have been used. If so, it can eat your rotors alive.
    I bought the car with 33kmi on it. My Jag service center told me the brakes had been done at lease return, maybe they cut some corners. Either way, the Jag mechanic who quoted the job said you can't turn the rotors on an XJ ever....period. The OEM pads are so hard that if you go down a long hill (heating up the brakes) and pull into a car wash (hand wash, of course) the temp change will warp the rotors in a flash.
    Thanks for the input on the pads, I'll keep it in mind, wherever I end up.
    I got 60,000 miles out of my first set of pads. The rotors never warped. I had an independent shop do the brakes for me, even though they still had 15-20% life left, just to be safe. Within 4000 miles, the rotors were warped. Wrong pads. What a difference it made. I should have had the dealer do them, would have paid for only 1 brake job.
    Good luck!
    re: texascarsdirect

I paid the price asked. The reason was that I was buying it directly on the last day of an eBay auction of the same car. The bids had got so close that I was afraid of losing it to the auction. Had there been time I would have tried some negotiation.

As it was however, I felt the price for the car was fair given the very low mileage and the going price for 2002 VDP's elsewhere.

No problem at all with registration. Texas Cars Direct put a temporary tag on the car which was good for 30 days. About a week later I received the title by express mail and then got my NJ registration and tags.

Sorry about the delay in responding. To my knowledge this forum doesn't alert one to a response -- I only checked this tonight by accident.

By the way, the car is a dream. There have been only two problems with it -- an ash tray lid that doesn't close properly, and a rear reading light that stays lit while driving. That will be corrected on warranty by the local Jag dealer this week.

One thing you should also consider is an extended warranty policy. I've researched this and will probably buy from Jaguar rather than cheaper internet policies. Reason: too many posts on the internet about slow claim service, and the fear that the company may not be around whereas Jaguar/Ford will be.

Good luck!
    It's money well spent to get the warranty from the dealer/manufacturer, not an aftermarket warranty.
    Exit16,
      Thanks for your informative reply. I'm thinking of finally pulling the trigger and getting a last gen XJ within the year. It seems to be a difference experience from the Lexus cars I've had. I really think there is no car that matches the elegance and sheer class of a Jaguar. I was in London when the car was released in the mid 90's. I haven't been able to keep my eyes of it ever since!

Texas Cars Direct's prices seem to be very fair. The Jag dealers in MA are an absolute ripoff! Should I buy from Texas, I'm sorely tempted to drive the car back to MA rather than have it shipped. As I see it, it will probably take 2-3 days, but the thrill will be well worth it!

SV
    I think it's a totally awesome thing to buy a new car out of state, and drive it home.
    Hi All,
      As per the Brake issue..Why not buy the pads from a Jag dealer and have an independant mechanic put them on? I've done this on my Lexus enough times..
      A question..I'm told that Jaguar has a special paint process that makes the paint job superior than most of the competition.How many coats of paint do they apply? I've always been impressed by the Sapphire Blue color..It looks great on a XJ.

Thanks for your comments,
    SV
    SV,

For me it was worth it. It took two and a half days to drive to northern NJ, so I think it would take three days for you to reach MA.

What was worthwhile was that I got acquainted with the car and all the microchips that do amazing things. An added bonus was the incredible scenery in the central part of the country (Dallas to Little Rock to Lexington to I-81 to NJ). I tried to get my wife to fly down and join me in the ride home. She said: "are you nuts, you want me to fly to Dallas to spend two plus days in a car to go home?" So I guess, as they say, It's a guy thing.

I continue to feel good about the price/value I got from Texas Cars Direct.

Exit16
    Board, I need advice. My 99 XJ8L's battery is dead. I want to put a new one in. Thing is, I got this car off ebay and, of course, still haven't procured a car care manual, so I need to air my ignorance here: where the heck is the battery, or how can I get at it (how do I open the trunk now that the battry's dead?), or are there remote terminals up front where I can clamp jumper cables? Thanks for any help...
    The battery is located in the right side of the trunk, or "boot" as they say across the pond. You access it by lifting what appears to be the trunk floor, and you'll find it there, along with the spare tire.

One note...Make sure that you get a battery that's designed for the car, one that has a vent that will connect to the Jag's vent line. A trunk mounted battery MUST BE VENTED TO THE OUTSIDE.
    I was just running back to delete my post, because I finally figured out how to open the trunk... Found the battery; doesn't look like it's vented, so I'm particularly glad for your incredibly rapid response to my post--before I had a chance to delete it, in which case I might never have vented the battery!
    the battery recently died in my wife's XJ-8, so I got a crash course in Jaguar batteries. As it turned out, the battery was coverd by the factory warranty, so the dealer replaced it for us.

However, both Sears and Interstate make batteries that will work in the XJ, and both have provisions to hook up to the Jag's vent system.
    Following up...I talked with my German specialist and decided to put Brembo disks and pads all the way around. The stopping power is smooth, tenacious, and I saved $500.00.
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • alijulalijul Member Posts: 5
    The coverage for my 2000 XJ8L is about to expire. The dealer I bought the car from 4 years ago offers me new coverage for up to 5 years. Do I need to buy it?
    Any suggestions? My car has only 24,000 miles on it.
    Thank you very much for any input.
    Maybe the way I view my 2002 VDP will be of help to you. Without question I'll buy the extended warranty (7 years/100,000 miles). I'll do it just before the car turns 20,000 miles and coverage takes a jump in price (it now has 14,500).

I've looked at the internet companies that offer a much lower price than the Jag dealer however I want the security of the Jaguar behind the warranty; i.e. they're going to be around for a long time; there won't be hassles about what's covered; I won't wait for a decision. My policy will cost about $3,700. That's expensive, but I plan to keep the car for a long time and want to hedge having to face major problems.

Hope this helps.
    I'm conflicted about these warranties, because I've never got my money out of one yet. However, what I am firm about is that if you buy one, buy the one from the manufacturer of the car, in this case, Jaguar. The aftermarket and internet warranties are fraught with fraud, bankruptcy and poor, if any, service.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I have a 2001 XKR leased in 2001 and up in 2005. I have low milage (19000mi) and like the car so much that I am thinking of keeping it when the lease expires. I am wondering if you can get a factory warranty from Jaguar if obtained at the end of the lease or do you have to get it from a non Jaguar source?

Thanks
    I think if you're the original owner, you can get one up until the factory warranty expires - at least that's how it works with Lincoln.
  • booeybooey Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning on buying a 97 XJ6 VDP with 85K miles on it, all service records etc... fairly trouble free car as far as the records show. Any other problematic areas for this car? Anyone own a higher mileage XJ6? I already own a 1986 XJ6 & i'm constantly spending $200-$800 on it so $ not a major issue, just need a heads up on where i can expect to spend it. (Brakes, electrical?)
    & Air Conditioning.....
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone have any info on changes for '05? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to get the DVD entertainment system without getting the Vanden Plas model? Thanks.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I've never seen an official Jaguar extended warranty except what's included when you buy a CPO Select from a dealer.
    Does one exist?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Any common problems and how has reliability been in general?

I currently drive around 250 miles per week and will consider a used Jag if I get a job change cutting my commute in half. This will not only save gas, but will keep my annual mileage low, lowering maintenance and repair costs. In the mean time, the car is just a curiosity after I saw some seemingly-great prices on eBay. A 2000-2001 VDP in the low 20's looks great especially since the exterior styling of the brand new redesigned model isn't dramatically different
    For instance I like the looks and price of this car:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- - - - &item=2486270753&category=31847#mainImage

I like the seat piping and the fold down trays on the seat backs of the VDP that make it like a Rolls Royce inside, but I think the stretched body proportions aren't as elegant on the side profile as the standard wheelbase body of the base XJ8. The extra legroom would be nice if I used the back seat often though.
    What do you think? I wouldn't buy sight unseen, but if one was being sold from a local source, I'd probably look at it.