Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• melmel2melmel2 Member Posts: 6
    The 2005 Super V8 should lead all Jaguar automobiles in publicity. Today, people follow what rappers, Hollywood stars and sports stars drive. Jaguar needs to advertise the Super V8(especially the interior) in magazines which cater to young audiences and other Jaguars would increase in sales. Television stations such as MTV, VH1 and BET would be great target audiences.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    While I think Jaguar should market the new Super V8 more, I don't think they should advertise in DUB magazine or something like that. The new aluminum XJ just is not a bling car like this...

2005 Jaguar Super V8

• jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Just about ready to buy new XJ8 (2004). In case nobody noticed, there are tons of new '04s left out there - and my local dealer is advertising NEW (not demos, VIP cars, or the like) XJ8 short wheelbase equipped w/heated seats, steering wheel and 18" wheels for $ 48,249. He told me he could get almost any color (the hardest to get would be black, since that seems to be the most popular). My Dad bought a brand new 1987 XJ6 in 1986 and it cost nearly $ 40,000. I'm no mathematician, but a 20% price increase over 19 years doesnt sound too bad to me! Anyone out there have a Quartz color Jag? How do you like it? It's my second choice behind black.
    I think slate looks much better than Quartz. Here is an 04 XJR in Slate. It is gorgeous in person.

I agree - and I just changed my mind from Quartz to Slate. I thought that Quartz looked a little bit greenish (you never really can tell from the paint chips in the brochure). What color do you have inside? In the XJ8, I believe that w/Slate you have a choice of Charcoal or Dove, but with the VDP (I may lean toward one if I can find a 2004) I think you get an Ivory interior. Thanks for the help - the car looks great!
    Just to let you know - picked up my new Slate/Charcoal XJ8 yesterday - it is stunning! I am so glad I didnt go with Black or Quartz - there seems to be tons of black Jag's out there and Quartz just doesnt look right. The car is fabulous. Picked it up with 40 miles on it - already have 200 with an average mpg of 26!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That's a good mpg rating for only 200 miles. Usually they haven't computed enough data to give you much info yet. Mostly highway, I presume?
  • figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    YES ALUMINUM IS NICE BUT THE JAGUAR-NESS IS ALL GONE. I COULD NOT TELL IT'S A JAG FIRST TIME I SAW IT. PLUS MOTORTREND SAYS THE RIDE QUALITY SUCKS. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY 1986 XJ6 VANDEN PLAS. THE NEW JAGS JUST DO NOT TURN HEADS ANYMORE. AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE BABY WANNABEE JAG X-TYPE OR THE WAGON!!!!
    PULL ALL THE JAGUAR ADS, THEN MAYBE JAGUAR WILL REGAIN ITS EXCLUSIVITY AND JAGUAR-NESS AGAIN.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    are very difficult to read and they come across as shouting.

So kindly unlock your caps key for future posts - we'd all appreciate that very much.

:)
  • melmel2melmel2 Member Posts: 6
    Figaromd, I don't think Jaguar do enough advertisment, but I think sales will increase
    figaromd,

The new XJ has a curve that starts in the rear door, like older Jaguars. The previous XJ did NOT have a curve that started in its rear door.

The new aluminum XJ's outer headlights are bigger than the inner headlights, like the original XJ. Both of the previous XJ's headlights were the same size.

Have you driven the new aluminum XJ?

Which Motor Trend issue says the ride quality sucks?

I have driven a 2004 Jaguar XJR and was very impressed. I loved the view from the driver's seat of the hood. Brembo brakes are STANDARD on the new XJR and Super V8, unlike the previous XJ.

The new XJ uses magnesium in the seat frames.

"The complete body with weighs 650 pounds compared with an estimated 1,058 pounds for the same car in steel, 952 pounds for a Mercedes-Benz S-class, and 955 pounds for a 7-series BMW."

- from The Inside Guide to the all-new aluminum Jaguar XJ by Automobile Magazine

The new aluminum XJ's chassis is 40 % lighter and 60 % stiffer than if it were steel.

I think the new XJ is gorgeous. Here is a 2004 XJR in Zircon.

The 2005 Jaguar Super V8, the XJ flagship, weighs over 800 pounds less than the BMW 760Li. It is shown below.

XJ's aluminum chassis

The 2005 Jaguar XKR is also gorgeous.

Jaguar's 4.2 V-8 does not have the potential timing chain tensioner or nikasil problems of 4.0 V-8 from the 97-00 XK8 and 98-00 XJ8. It is MUCH smoother than the 4.0 V-8. Here is Jaguar's 4.2 390 hp supercharged V-8

The 6 speed ZF automatic transmission used in new V-8-powered Jaguars is much smoother and responsive than the previous 5 speed automatic transmission used in older V-8-powered Jaguars.

The next-generation Jaguar XK8 will use the new XJ's aluminum chassis. It will have to meet new European pedestrian safety regulations. The next S-Type will likely also use the new XJ's aluminum chassis.
    Jaguar needs to advertise more pictures of the XJ's aluminum chassis and facts about it.
    very impressive specs indeed for a Ford.
    The new aluminum XJ is all-Jaguar. British Leyland certainly didn't help Jaguar much in the 1970s and 1980s. They gave them the horrible reliability that they are known for to this day. Millions were invested in the 1995-1997 XJ and it is still a very reliable car.

Jaguar's V-8 is an all-Jaguar V-8. The new 4.2 V-8 does not have the potential timing chain tensioner or nikasil problems of the 98-00 XJ8. Check the following link:

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.html

I find it sad for someone to write off a car without showing any facts or even driving the car. Which issue of Motor Trend said that the ride quality of the new XJ sucks?

Here is the link to Edmunds article --

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=103844

An excerpt --
    ...Something else to think about: ride quality. Generally, the long-wheelbase XJ treats its occupants to a smooth, luxurious ride. However, the suspension loses too much composure over bumps, dips and highway expansion joints — to the point that these impacts become an event for rear passengers. Heard from the Jag's backseat on one two-hour drive: "This car doesn't ride too well, does it?"
    And I thought the drive and the ride were exceptional myself..... YMMV, of course.
  • canadian*guy1canadian*guy1 Member Posts: 4
    This is extremly off topic. But this was the most recent forum that people were responding to. So Im hoping that you can help me. First of all. Im not rich. I would love to own one of the super v8s. But... Im only 16!! Maybe once im working for jag, and making the big bucks I will own one. NE way. As I said, Im 16. And the time has come for me to buy a car. I wanted somthing that was good on gas and would turn heads. So I have descided on buying an xjs. But I have the choice of a v6 or a v12(obviously the latter being the less economonal). The v6 would give me the fuel economy I want. And the v12 would surly show everybody up... including the teachers!! But what I want to know, is if there are any products that will save fuel for the v12. OR, are there any performance parts for the v6 that improve the perforance drastically. I have been looking for ever. But cannot find any performance parts or stuff like that. I also want some stuff to make it look cooler, like... body kits, hood scoops, wings, ect.( but nothing that will disrupt the smooth lines of the caror make it look fast and the furiousey). CAn any body help a desperate kid???

thnx
    (if ne body helps)
    First off - the 6 isn't a v6, it's inline. The only Vs offered in Jags that are 6s are in the X and S types of late. No XJs had them that I know of. Get the 12, because fuel economy will be your last concern. Repairs will be your biggest expense - these fine cats are wonderful, but not cheap to maintain. They are very finely crafted machines, but need a lot of love and maintenance to keep running, and all European cars of that vintage did. Get the 12. You'll love it.
    one review of the XJ says the ride quality isn't great. Who cares?
    for a 16-year-old, try something that costs less.

A 1995-1997 XJ6 is reliable and much more affordable.
    information on it

The new aluminum XJ's chassis is 40 % lighter and 60 % stiffer than if it were steel.

"The complete body with weighs 650 pounds compared with an estimated 1,058 pounds for the same car in steel, 952 pounds for a Mercedes-Benz S-class, and 955 pounds for a 7-series BMW."

- from The Inside Guide to the all-new aluminum Jaguar XJ by Automobile Magazine

XJR

2005 Jaguar Super V8

• abarlow1abarlow1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 202 XJ sport I love the ride here in southern ohio. I do have a question have you had problems with your car using oil? I am using a lot lately. My dealer is a hundred miles away, but my local mechanic told me it sounds like a problem with the PCV valve. Any thoughts?
    abarlow1.
  • coopergcooperg Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this forum but am in dire need of help. I own a 1993 Jaguar XJ6 and when my RPMs are low (idle) my oil pressure gauge drops down to "0" and and the low oil pressure light on the dash lights up. However, when I rev the engine to above 20 grand, it goes right back up to where it should be "4". I checked the oil and there is definantly the right amount of oil in the car. The engine sounds pretty good but don't want to drive it with an oil problem and then cause a much worse problem. Thank you very much.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

CooperG
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    are you revving the engine to 20 grand or 2 grand???...20 garnd rpm seems a little fast for a six cylinder...
    Is she knocking or tiicking or rattling at all at any time? Cause, you likely just have a bad sending unit. BUT - you could have a bad pump too...... If you hear any strange noises at all, quit revving the motor and call the Dr right away.
    Has your new Jaguar XJ8 been reliable so far?
  • charlienmr1charlienmr1 Member Posts: 7
    Definitely. :) 16 months, 27,000 miles plus on an 04 XJ8, ebony and warm charcoal. On delivery, had a couple of cosmetic issues. Both minor and fixed promptly under warranty. Had a rattle coming from the rear shelf at about 10,000 miles. Turned out to be the speaker grill. Replaced under warranty. Only other problem was a bad relay preventing the wipers from working at 26,000 miles. Warranty again. (In my younger days, I used to replace relays in my cars, along with fuses, spark plugs, oil filters, ... Ah those were the days.)

So, nothing major so far. Two problems in almost 30,000 miles, both minor. I love the car.
  • aeisneraeisner Member Posts: 1
    I had a very similar problem on my 1992 xj6....it required a new oil gauge relay switch....cost me $500 to fix because the old relay was frozen...wish I had a toyota!
  • dan100dan100 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a brand new XJ SUPER 8 that has welds on the B+C pillars coming apart. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Need to compare notes.

Car has been taken apart to "try " and chemical weld it together !
    A nightmare of a situation......Rusnak trying very hard, but having to follow Jaguar USA guidelines...very unresponsive to our needs. Roof / pillar welds are spliting apart and they are saying "its OK" , we'll glue it back together !
    I've never heard of a single new Jaguar XJ with those problems.

Was the car damaged before you took delivery?

The new Jaguar XJ has few welds.
  • dan100dan100 Member Posts: 3
    Yes...it has "glue type chemical welds that hold many of the body and structure frame parts together.
    Aluminum underbody components are fastened together with aerospace-grade epoxy adhesives and some 3,200 self-piercing rivets to create the new XJ's chassis.

check "The New Aluminum Jaguars" thread for information on how the XJ's aluminum chassis is assembled."
    was your XJ damaged before delivery?
    Glue type chemical welds? Not sure I like the sound of that.........
    As I said before,

Aluminum underbody components are fastened together with aerospace-grade epoxy adhesives and some 3,200 self-piercing rivets to create the new XJ's chassis.

It is high-tech stuff.

check the "New aluminum Jaguars" thread for information on how the XJ is assembled.
    But I'm in current negotiations on an XJ, and read above about the B and C pillars coming apart-I'm understandably concerned.
    I'd like to see proof of this report.

I'd also like to know if this XJ was damaged before delivery.
    I'd be interested in that too. Damage pre-delivery would be hard to prove from a customer's position I think.
    I can't find it, xkss - where would it be?
  • supdawgiesupdawgie Member Posts: 3
    have you solved your problem yet?
    you should get an accurate mechanical guage and hook it up ASAP and see what is going on with the pressure.
    what about when you first start the car and the oil is "cold". does the gauge go down and light come on? or does the pressure stay up until the oil warms up?
    Not to scare you (well maybe you should be a little scared) - but a worn out main bearing can do what you describe. at lower rpm the worn bearing flows all the oil pump capacity and the pressure drops to zilch. and - the fluky thing is it may not even make any knocking noises - because it only touches under high load - and with all the other noise you can't hear it.
    of course just overall general wear of the crank bearings. cam bearings, etc. can cause this. including wear of the oil pump itself. the oil pump has a certain amount of internal leakage that will increse with time - or if the oil pump is re-built with excessive internal clearance.
    oh - the insidious thing about one worn out crank bearing is that with the crankshaft unsupported at that location it will bend and overstress the shaft - causing the crank to fatigue and break. so - it is not something to ignore. My .02c good luck.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I noticed recently that Bluetooth has been added as an option on the Jaguar web site for $500. Does anyone have any info on that, ie how hard is it to find an XJ8 with BT, and how it works in the car??
  • exit32exit32 Member Posts: 5
    Hmmm ... I just checked the Jaguar USA website, and "Bluetooth pre-wire" is listed as a standard feature on every car in the XJ series. I believe Bluetooth is now standard on every XJ built after April 15, 2005. There won't be many -- if any -- of these Bluetooth-wired cars in the U.S. yet. They'll probably start arriving by mid-June or so.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for the info. Actually it's Edmunds that says it's $500, but I see it standard on the Jaguar site. I assume "Bluetooth pre-wire" means it has Bluetooth (pre-wire seems like an odd way to say it has it), or maybe pre-wire means you can get it, and they'll give it to you for $500. But I don't see it listed as an option on the Jaguar site.
  • jescue1jescue1 Member Posts: 12
    Bluetooth is still a $500 option on all XJ models except on the Super V8 where it is standard.It is also available on the other lines as a stand alone option.The prewire means it can be dealer installed on all 2004 and up XJ,all 2003 and up S-Type,and all X-Types.
  • 135boomer135boomer Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased 88 XJ6 and brakes require more than normal pressure. Also, the ABS light comes on and have brake fluid leaking from top area of brake pedal. What troubleshooting do I need to do to determine faulty components? I can do most auto repairs myself, but this is the 1st Jag I've owned since an XK150 in the 60's. Thanks.
    I'm becoming very impressed with the customer satisfaction ratings on the XJ. I may have found my next Sedan......
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Buy it Banker and make this business man envious. They are a great automobile and beat the heck out of the Town Car. Travel Well!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Don't expect me to talk you out of it! ;-)