Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I've seen the green, computerized X350, and I like it. Is that not what the real car looks like? Where can we see pictures of the real deal? (Or can we?)
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    not sure which picture you're referring to, but it will be some time before the real thing is revealed
  • futurejagownerfuturejagowner Member Posts: 2
    I have seen only the computerized green. I have not seen it in person. To me it looked to puffy (for lack of a better word) than the current model. Not that it is not a nice car, but it looked more like a mercedez than a jaguar.

If you have seen it live, I was wondering if it was big departure from the current model look? It looked like a big departure in the computerized image. That is why I am little worried about getting an outdated model.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    I certainly didn't think it was a big departure, but then again you might pick up some some subtleties, and disagree. I think it would be a mistake though to make buying decisions based on styling that you haven't actually seen.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Christchurch: Glad I'm helping :) The 98s are really wonderful cars. Especially in Sapphire! :)

Joe W: Like Mike said, probably got it at an auction. Generally corporate (Ford Corporate that is) demos are run at Ford factory auctions. So maybe they saw it there andf grabbed it for the GM, GSM or Used car mgr or Dealer Principal to use. Heck, if you wanted a used jag I can run you to the auction right now and get ya one.

As far as the X350 goes... I'm gonna wait till I see it. I do have an X-Type 2.5 Sport Manual on order :)) Too bad you can't get the 3.0 Manual here >:( Well... that's what we knew when I ordered it anyways.

Bill
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    The car is outstanding. You'll love it. I just got back from the ride and drive for the X-Type. The car is unbelievable.

I would not put to much faith in computerized guesses about what the new XJ is going to look like. If you want a 99 Jag now buy one now, If you like the current style go for it.

Mike
  • csmason1csmason1 Member Posts: 10
    Thought you might be interested to hear how loe these "older" cats can go. I just won an auction on a 93 white/coffee XJ6 w/ 79K for $7,799. My parents have checked out the car and will be driving it to my place in 2 weeks. Yes, I know it's that old style of Jag (not the fashionable new circular headlights), but I like the distinctiveness of the European style front end. I'm 27, and I never thought I'd be able to own a Jaguar (and keep my paid-off Saturn as a back-up at the same time!) LIFE IS GOOD...

I have a question, however...what is the difference is the VDP and the regular XJ6 from 93? Is it just the quality of the wood, leather, etc. or are there any mechanical/structural differences? TIA

Craig
    Umm... where was your ride and drive? Didja see Ann Stone? I'd have told you to tell her I said "hi"

Umm... I shouldnt admit this publicly, but.. Well, I felt the steering was perfect and the drivetrain worked seamslessly

Bill
    Who still has friends at mahwah
    Craig,

Congrats! Good price and a great car. Nothing major to worry about either. Oh, and I got you beat by a year.. Im 26 :) Good color combo too!

Use Hide food on the seats, Castrol oil and keep her maintained, and she'll treat you well.

Oh, a Vanden Plas has more burled and better-matched wood veneers with Peruvian Boxwood inlays, rear picnic tables, rear "bucket-style" seats and different seat patterns and upgraded leather. A 93 VDP also has heated seats.

Some more chrome, "Roulette" wheels on 91-93s, and fluted front grille and trunk plinth.

That's it!

Bill
    Bill, thanks again for the great information. I hope this Jaguar last me for several years; by that time I hope to be able to purchase a 2-3 year-old XK8 (oh my).

Craig
    see the x-type board

Mike
  • tfalconetfalcone Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to Jaguars, and I'm looking for a little advice. I came across a 1990 XJS with 32,000 miles. I'm hesitant to buy because I've heard pre 95 Jaguars are a reliability nightmare (and especially V12s). Basically, how bad is it? What should I budget for repairs? Also, what's the car worth? They're asking $13,500. Thanks.
    Bill mentioned that I should use Hide Food on the leather seats of my soon-to-be-arriving 93 XJ6. From the high quality of Bill's prior posts, I take his opinion as a rebuttable presumption, so.....Do my fellow Jag enthusiasts agree w/ him, or is the Rejuventor Oil/Prestine combo from Leatherique a better way to go?

TIA, Craig
    Wow, $13,500? I just ran the car through the Edmunds Used Car system, and even w/ the low mileage they came up w/ the following "true market values" (assuming no power sunroof): trade-in=$5157; private party sale=$5791; dealer retail=$6849. So, I'd say the seller is trying to make $$ off the low mileage, which I think raises more questions than it answers (#1 being: WHY is the mileage so low on an 11 year-old car?)

I've heard that 89-90 XJ40s (XJ6s) are, in general, more unreliable than later XJ40s b/c Ford was just taking over Jaguar at that time. I have no evidence to back up that claim, only numerous posts and statements from others, which may also be based on "having heard it from someone".

Bottom line: Way too much money for a car that sounds somewhat suspicious.

Craig
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Boy is this discussion good !
    Thanks for so many interesting questions, sharing of ideas, and just down right good advice.

A couple of you spoke a few messages earlier about the new XJ.

From what I gather from "auto buffs", English "informants", Detroit"insiders" and "old timers" is that the new XJ is a "wow" of an automobile.
    It is filled with the latest in "high tech".

Most importantly, it has been designed to be "the best of Jaguar" and "the best of contemporary engineering". This translates into an automobile which has "Jaguar" design and personality mated by the best of Ford engineering technology. This has been accomplished, I have been told by more than one "in the know", because Ford really does understand how important it is to "let Jaguar be Jaguar".

I believe, therefore, that if Ford is truly committed to building the new XJ series Jaguar into its "European flagship automobile" then we should expect something quite spectacular. And if this "does come to pass" then the new XJ will surpass the best of what the planet has to offer.

Let's all hope this will be the case and wait and see keeping our fingers crossed and "our checkbooks ready" !

"Vie la" Jaguar!
    christchurch
    First,

The XJ-S. If it's a supremely low mileage and pristine automobile, it may well have amarket value up there. The price seems high even with that being said though.

These super-mint Jags seem to sell in their own little world. Much as no price guide will say that a 190SL is worth $60,000, and no '57 Chevy Ragtop is worth $100,000.

BS. Find one of the very few examples out there of those two cars that are beyond perfection, conditionwise. Watch what they sell for at a public auction.

Asfaras Leather goes, I have yetto try Leatherique myself but I had forgottenabout it. It's GREAT stuff (I've seen the results!)

Bill
    my 1st post of any substance and i give out wrong information. oh well...i thought it was XJ6 instead of XJS. For the XJS, the Edmunds price depends greatly on whether it's a coupe or convertible model. For a convertible, give or take a few hundred, it's about $9700 private party and about $12K dealer retail. For a coupe, it's about $4k less. So my opinion stays the same.

Craig
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    In the new, highly advertised, promotion from Jaguar, they promote a $799 monthly figure. What would the residual be if anyone has checked on the terms? (It's not listed at Edmund's yet.)

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • tfalconetfalcone Member Posts: 2
    I was a little sloppy in my first post. Forgot to mention that it's a convertible, not a coupe. Can anyone that owns one comment on what they typically spend for repairs?
    tf: That makes it a fair price then IMHO.

jw: What model? XJ8 I assume? Res is prolly 50% and knowing Jaguarit has aMFofsomething like.00075 or something...

Bill
    I have noticed some adverstied "special Spring prices" from Jaguar dealers. These national ads are being printed in the Wall Street Journal, selected news markets, and in the "slick up-scale magazines". These ads suggest a $599/ or less /month lease. They don't sound bad, considering the "new list prices" from which the lease begins.

But,and here is the point, look at the fine print.
    You will note a significant down payment which is how they reduce the monthly lease payment.

These are no "great deals". Someone has to pay for them and that someone is you. The dealer,in this case, advertises a "low monthly payment" by uping the down payment.

Don't blame Jaguar, many manufactures do the same. For example, Cadillac is advertising a Deville at $499 (note, just under the magic $500 price point) but here again, take a look at the down payment. You will see the same "payment lowering" technique along with lower residuals.

Remember, a lease is just the dealer sales device of carrying the mortgage and passing along the mortgage payments. They then add "service charges" to make a fair profit, which is certainly ok for it is the fair market way of doing business. If they are going to carry the liability then they need to be fairly compensated. No argument here, except, the "buyer needs to be aware".

One further note, at the end of the lease you are responsible for "normal wear and tear" but who do you think determines that? The dealer, of course. There is really nothing written which describes in detail "normal"... it is discretionary.

In all fairness, most dealers are very generous but others may not be. For most of us its a craps shoot which leads to a rude awakening at lease end if you have chosen the "wrong dealer".

So.... what do you think?

Bottom line, I think, is that it makes most sense to buy back a few years, "select edition/certified",is the way to go. By doing so you let someone else take the depreciation hit and gamble with end of lease diceness.
    As a result,we avoid "these traps" as we can buy in at a nicely reduced price without "paying someone else service charges" to carry our mortgages or the other liabilities.
    (See my other posts for "buying back a few years" advice.)

Hope all this helps some of you make your Jaguar purchase less risky, painless and in the end cost saving and much happier.

christchurch
    Actually,

Those national lease deals arenot bad deals believe it or not. (Remember whoused to sell em? :)

Generally they are based on a discounted Cap Cost, which is usually not that agressive, but of course, you can expectthe dealer to doa little better.

They are based on substantially subvented money factors, yet they use typical residuals. At one point if you did a 2-year lease on a new VDP you'd pay a grand total ofsomething like $1100in interest over 24 months! Not a bad way to finance $22K, is it?

Also, dealer simply act as agents for Jaguar credit. They have no control over the end-lease charges or other basic aspects of the lease. I consider leasing as another way of financing. Also, bear in mind that many of these cars are leased inbusiness namesand many people who are buying new Jaguars can write them off.

It depends on what you need really...

Bill
    Bill, sorry I left out the crucial bit of information. Yes, the ad I've seen is an XJ; I don't know if other versions (VDP, e.g.) are included, but the focus is on the $799/mo. It seemed pretty upfront because the initial payment was only at something around $2k (forgot the specifics), indicating a minor cap cost reduction. What I didn't catch was the mileage, or the residual, thus my question. Thanks for your reply above.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    The $599 plus tax is on a V8 S-type and only requires about $1500 down plus first payment, plates, and taxes(totaling around $3000).

On an XJ8 you can get it for $799 plus tax with only $1000 down plus fees(totaling around $2300).
    Considering the lease on this car is usually $1000 a month or more. and financing would be over $1200 a month it really is not that bad a deal.

Dealers have no say in what is considered normal wear and tear. That is up to Jaguar Credit. If you like when you pick up the car we can go over exactly what Jaguar considers normal.

Many years ago dealers did run their own leasing companies, but these days are long since past. A lease to a dealer is the same as a retail. The bank gets the title and collects the interest.

In the case of the Jag leases the interest works out to about one percent or less.

$799 lease is 10,000 miles per year(15,000 miles would be about $20 per month extra); residual is around %50 after 3 years. So it should be approx $30,000.

Mike
  • kelakela Member Posts: 6
    Could someone please tell me the difference between the XJ6L and the Van Den Plas? I know the VDP is a select edition, but I was told the XJ6L is basically the same. Had a chance to buy a 95 Red VDP with 41,000 miles but ended up getting a 97 XJ6L with 65,000 miles instead. Car is immaculate, white w/tan interior, factory-installed phone...my first JAG...I'm in heaven. Got it for $23,995. Good deal? The VDP was $21,995 and a bit flashy for me. I figured white would be better if I ever have to get a paint job. Thanks for your help.
    Great info, mvargo and Bill.

Tell me about Xenon headlights on the XJ when you get a chance (no rush). Are they stock? Were they available in '98? Can they be retro-fitted (or are they self-levelling)?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    Congratulations on your purchase! I have a 97 VDP. Got it with 28K miles on it for $32K. So you did very well indeed!

Check out "used cars" on this website and look up the '97 Jaguar XJ. The general summary for that year will tell you the differences between the models. You can even get a quote for your car and see how close Edmunds TMV price is to what you paid.

As far as I can tell, the VDP has a different chrome grille in the front, a bronze-tone badge under the leaper, fluted chrome across the trunk. Chrome outside mirror housings, chrome door handles. On the inside, the rear seat is an upgraded bench seat. There is a different grade of leather (Connolly) throughout. My VDP has front and rear seat warmers. There is a "tray" down between the two rear seats just under the rear A/C vent. I also have a second cigar lighter there.
    There are walnut burl fold-out airline style tray tables behind each of the front seats (don't know why, nobody's eating anything in MY backseats!).

There is walnut burl everywhere inside, hand inlaid with Peruvian boxwood (looks like painted-on pinstriping, but it's inlaid wood).

My VDP also came with Traction control, but I think in '97 that was an option for the VDP.

I don't have the upgraded sound system. I added the 6-CD changer afterwards.

I'm getting about 14MPG city and about 21MPG Highway.

Hope you have years of enjoyment from your XJ6L!
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    This all seems pretty basic to me. Maybe I'm just not appreciating the financial complexities. But there really doesn't seem to be that much difference between leasing and buying to me with respect to how payments go...

The basic finance ratio is close to $20 in payment per $1000 borrowed. The interest rate raises or lowers this ratio, but somewhere between $17 and $22 per $1000 is "average".

If you're looking at buying a $70,000 car, and you want $800/month payments, you'll need to put $30,000 down. If you only put $10,000 down, you're looking at $1200/mo.

If you lease the same car, you'll be financing around 50% of the car's value. The other 50% ($35K) will be the "residual". So you can put $5K down and finance the remaining $30K for around $600/month. Or you can put $0 down and pay $750/month. At the end of the lease, you owe $35K if you want to keep the car.

If you don't have a lot of money for a down payment, and you can't afford a high monthly payment, then you need to look for a car with a lower base price.

Is this rocket science, or am I missing something? Seems to me that my figures are "pretty close" to reality.
    Congrats and welcome to the family!

You bought anexcellent car,and I think you paid a fair price.

If the VDP was a select edition, all that means is that it had some factory extended warranty still on it.

Basically, an XJ6L is an XJ6 with a 4.9" Stretch to the wheelbase, which makes it much more practical to put people in the back!

Really the only difference between the Vanden Plas and the XJ6L is trim. Mechanically they are identical.

The Vanden Plas (In a 1997) adds:

*Rear Cigar lighter.
    *Rear Picnic Tables
    *Chrome trim along the sides
    *20-spoke Diamond-Turned Alloys with exposed lugnuts versus the "Dimple" style wheels on the XJ6
    *Autolux Premium Conolly Leather. (Softer.. actually a bit less durable) with contrasting piping.
    *Rear Picnic Tables
    *Convienience Package standard (HomeLink garage door opener, power steering column, memory seats, auto-dim rear-view mirror.But the vast majority of XJ6 and XJ6Ls have this)
    *Chrome door handles and side rear-view mirror outer finishers
    *rear trunk plinth and front grille are fluted.
    *Wood hasa tighter burl to it and has inlaid boxwood strips.
    *Lambswool floor mats.

By the way, Your car's color is called "Spindrift White" and your interior color is "Coffee". A desireable color combo,especially here in Florida.

Bill
    95 Vanden Plas Jade/Cream 126K
    97 XJ6 Carnival/Oatmeal 58K
    99 XJR Meteorite/Charcoal 20K or so
    Joe,

No

No

And I bet it could be done, but it'd be very expensive. Wait for the X350

Bill
    Bill,

Too bad.

Thanks.

You bet!

Take care.
    Joe W.
    X350 will probable have the same self-leveling xenon system available as an option on X-type.

X-type is probably the most technical car Jag has ever made.

Mike
    Bill and 97vdpguy: Thank you so much for the info--that's EXACTLY what I was looking for plus a little extra. Glad to be part of the prestigious Jaguar family. It's such a beautiful, classy car with a strength that complements it quite well (everything I ever wanted in a man--I mean car!). I'm in this baby for the long haul--til death do us part. I live in California by the way, but originally from Florida.
    Glad to help!

Good color combo there too! Ya know.. it's weird. In England a White Jaguar is like a Pink and Yellow Jaguar here, but I think they look great in White. When I was buying them at auction, the ones you had to pay up for were the white and Topaz cars...

Enjoy it! There's nothing else on the road like one. Remember: Pirelli Tires, Castrol Oil and Premium fuel :)

Bill
    Let me add my word of welcome.

In my humble opinion you just bought "the best car of the best"!
    I have driven Mercedes for many years and they are truly great automobiles... solid, reliable..."very Germanic" cars that "like to be the King, or should I say the "Kaiser" of the road.

But,if Mercedes is the King, Jaguar is, surely, the "Queen" !
    Jaguars are incredablily British, beautiful, and in many ways appropriately described by many as "feminine" .
    The leathers, the wood, the smell and feel are oh so special. And the driving feel, the view over the hood, the handling are just so "right".

To me driving a Jaguar has and continues to be some sort of emotional expierence. Mercedes seems to express power, Jaguar, well, tranquility. Jaguar is just something emotionally special and to me I have never driven anything which feels quite even close to it.

So, the bottom line is, that not only did you buy right price wise, but you just bought right because you will get your money back in pure enjoyment and pleasure.

Welcome to the Jaguar family and welcome too to our XJ Series discussions - they, too, are great.
    christchurch
    Christchurch and others:

Thank you for the warm welcome. Wow, you guys are cooler than cool!!! I'm still in shock that I'm driving such a wonderful car. The admiring looks that I get while driving down the road are priceless. I'm somewhat of an aggressive driver, so the sportiness appeals to me--then there's that magnificent mellow side for when I just simply feel like stylin'. Just about everyone has a Mercedes or BMW. We truly are an elite group--I like that very much.
    The best part is...

Laughing at the guy who just paid $24K for a new Camry, Maxima or Accord and is looking at your car and drooling! :)))

Bill
    I just received my June copy of "Motor Trend". Featured on the cover is a picture of the the new "X" series. It looks quite nice, though not terribly distinctive and a bit like our XJ's in the front end. It is an all wheel drive vehicle giving it a real "leg up" on the competition with a lot of technical innovations.
    The new X appears by their estimation and others to be a formidable contender against BMW, Audi and MB "entry level" vehicles.

While the article is a cursory overview it does laud the handling,comfort,engineering and its fit and finish.
    All Good news!

In addition, the article gives us a brief commentary on how the Jaguar/Ford team is approaching its association at Jaguar. So, it is particularly heartening that the author and review experts credit Ford with allowing Jaguar to be distinctively Jaguar by using restraint and not just "rebadging a Ford", even thou some are very good.

Let's hope they keep there pledge by using the best of Ford technology with the best of Jag design and aesthetics. Hopefully, they will apply this same approach to our new "XJ".
    These new Jags will be will be our next purchases for many of us.
    So keep your fingers crossed that they will be all we wish them to be.

Let the Jags loose to roam!
    christchurch
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Just a few words from a longtime Jaguar owner. If you want a real warm & fuzzy feeling outside your XJ, stand at rear of the left front fender and sight diagonally across the hood to the front of the right front fender. The rolling curves and ridges (especially on the Series 1 and 2 models) show the sheer design genius that went into the styling. Since Jaguar has reinstated those styling features in the later cars I'm sure you will get the same feelings of pride that were mine for so many years.
    You are right on target.
    I know exactly what you mean about the magnificent curves and inspiring "sight lines".

My fondest view is, perhaps, looking at the sloping hood with the Jaguar "leaping" ahead from the drivers seat. That gentle slop down toward the road is a "sight to behold".

Let's hope the Jag designers give us more of these beautiful lines and curves.

Personally, I wish the new "XJ" would be designed to look a bit more like the "MK" series which is echoed in the "S" series. I love the distinctive grille which is really classic Jaguar.
    Even the current "XJ" grill and what appears in the photos of the new "X" grill look, to me, "too normal" ie. too much like every one elses grill rendition. You mistake these grills if you are not looking carefully. Sometimes, front on, I have to look see if it is a Jag. On the other hand, you could never mistake the "MK" or "S" grill.... which are really beautifully the classic Jag look.

On an other note, the rear end theme is now pretty well determined in the "S" series and the "X" series. This design has a moderately distinctive flare.

I will have to wait and see how the "X" series actually looks "in the flesh". But, I must confess, that I am drawn to the "S" series by the front end its "neo classic" and successful attempt to recapitulate the traditional Jaguar distinctiveness.

Hopefully, this approach will not be lost on the new "XJ". I, for one, don't want to see another Benz or Lexus copy nor would I be inclined to buy one !

The beauty of a Jaguar is the beauty of a Jaguar!

Long live the demeanor and look of the "grand Jag"!

christchurch
  • steveqvssteveqvs Member Posts: 1
    I have always liked jags. I have now decided to look for an older (1980's) jag convertible, maybe even a project convertible. Problem is I have not seen many 2+2's. With 4 butts in my family I really need the extra seats for the kids. Any help on sites on details of Jags or sites of jags for sale would be welcomed.

sdktm2000@yahoo.com
    OK...

First I don't like the sound of one part ofyour post:

"maybe a project car"

Bad idea on an XJS. Would be MUCH easier to simply burn a pile of $100 bills.

As far as 2+2s..you have to go with a 1994 or newer car, and they are very well made and reliable.

Bill
  • treymtreym Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know anything about the 1993 xj6 model. Cannot seem to find much information. I am looking at buying one. I am concerned because of 131k on mileage. Looks to be in good condition. I have always wanted one, just not sure I should risk it on this model year with high mileage. Comments appreciated.
    OK... First...

How much? It's got a sunroof I hope...

Miles may not be a bad thing for the car, but they do hurt its' value a lot.

What to look for? 2 Big things on that car would be the head gasket (Have a mechanic,preferably a Jag one do a compression test, a leak-down compressiontest on the engine) and the A/C Evaporator. But if that's bad no cool air will come out!

Also check the door handles.

Overall a very very good car though

Bill
    95 Vanden Plas 126,000 beat-the-hell-out-of-it miles
  • sbbsbb Member Posts: 10
    Where do i go to find advice on xj-s buying? I am looking at a 95-96 convertible with the 6 cyl engine, 50k miles.
    Whatcha need to know? We can help!

GREAT cars btw...

Bill
    I just received my "Road and Track" for June, 2001. It, too, has an article on the new Jag. "X". Although brief, it sheds further light on the design and engineering relationships between Ford of Dearborn and Jaguar of Coventry.
    (Please refer to my note above in which I reference "Motor Trend" for June, 2001, which has a review article also.)

Happy reading and, for some at least, yearning !
    christchurch
  • sho3sho3 Member Posts: 28
    I looking to purchase a usedXJ series sedan my budget is about $20,000.
    Would I be better off purchasing a high mileage 98XJ8 or a lower mileage
    96/97 XJ6 ? What about maintenance cost between the two ? I live in
    Michigan and I notice on the internet the pricing in other states are a
    lot cheaper, what are the pitfalls of purchasing a car out of state. Has
    anyone purchase a Jag from Texas Mustang Sales ?

PS Thanks in advance.
  • jagularjagular Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have been amused, surprised, and amazed at the loyalty most of you have for your cars. I have just joined the ranks of Cat owners with the purchase of a 93 XJ6 with 81K miles and apparent incredible condition. Unfortunately I am suffering from the pre-owned bugs syndrome and have had a few problems like new brakes, Check Engine Light, New door latch, Check Engine Light again. And just when disgust enters the mind, I get out, walk away, look over my shoulder, and then stop to admire it again. I believe I have been bitten...Any advice for XJ40 owners out there regarding "routine maintenance" to keep the Cat purring would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...Jagular
  • lucnoellucnoel Member Posts: 31
    I just bought a 2001 JR,Anthracite (black) with Warm Charcoal interior.
    What a great car!
    I am not new to Jaguar since I own a 88 XJ6 with 115000 miles on it and a fully restored 74 V 12 E -type Roadster,British racing Green with Biscuit interior.

The few things that I don't like on the JR are the followings:

No oil pressure gauge
    No voltage/battery gauge
    Too much Ambla (vinyl).

Nothing can be done for the gauges but, I already replaced the full console, rear console extension,cup holders with an Autolux Warm Charcoal leather.
    Much,much nicer,and better smell!!
    I also added rear blinds,Chrome caps on the assist handles and a Burl Walnut wood piece to replace the cheap plastic piece around the roof console.
    There is no doubt that it is a fantastic car but, I feel hats since ford bought Jaguar, some of the interior materials look/fell cheaper than on my 1988 for example.

New versus used.
    I bought it new because, as a business owner, I lease it and can deduct the expense fully and paid it with before taxes money.
    Also, I decided, for the same reasons to have high monthly payment($1300 for 36 months)to lower the residual value.
    The residual now is $ 31000 and I can buy it and resale it for way more.(in 3 years).

So the new/used question have a lot to do with personal taxes situation.
    Also, a new car is well, NEW!!!!!!
    Msrp was $ 71 250 and I only paid $ 67 500 for it. there is always room for price negotiation.

I agree fully that what make a Jaguar different compared to any other car is it's style and personality.
    A Jaguar is not a collection of parts like a Mercedes or other, it is alive and part of the family.

Luc