Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    My screen has not shown the emotorcons for a good few weeks now...in fact, when others post and try to use them, only the words show up on my screen, no pictures...

Examples: I will see.....:blush::grin: :lemon: words but no little guys smiling, frowning, or whatever...
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I just went to Preferences and I checked the box and VOILA...here they are...

I did not know it was a Preference, as they just showed up on my screen a few months ago, I just assumed it was one of those once or twice yearly upgrades you guys do...when they disappeared, I did not know we had a choice, just that they were here and then they were gone...kinda like my money in my wallet and my wife...first here, and then gone... :P :confuse: :cry:
  • xj12foreverxj12forever Member Posts: 3
    I thought the SHO was an engine built by Yamaha specifically for Ford
    I have an XJ 12 that loses power assist to brakes in cold weather. Any comments
    What is a P-1111 trouble code and a P1641 Trouble code 1996 XJ-12
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That "preference" is supposed to be on by default - like I said, there's some bug on the loose that causes it to turn itself off for some people from time to time. Confusing, yes.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I thought the SHO was an engine built by Yamaha specifically for Ford

Yes, but what does that have to do with this thread?
  • pefitopefito Member Posts: 4
    I am rectifying my own message.

The Electronic Control Module (E.C.M.) that I have to change is JLM 2211 which is on the pasanger's side attached to the center air conditioning unit. I must change the Water Temperature Switch JLM 763 that is located at the driver's side on the other side of the air conditioning unit.

If any one had experience changing those parts I would like to know if the A/C Control Panels started working properly.

Thanks,
    Jose
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I see '04 sedans that went out the door at 60K+ now in the papers for 41K-43K. These have got to be screaming deals: an almost new Jag sedan for 15K-18K off the original transaction price. The current Motor Trend (take another look at the magazine: its come a long way in the last 25 years from when they would sell the Car of the Year Award for a couple of full page ad spreads) reports on a long term test of an '04 XJR and says that its current value is around 50K (a bit less at wholesale, a bit more at retail). Good styling, good handling, less headaches than with an S Class and less resentful comments from your employees too.

Whats not to like about an 04 for 41K?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    04 XJ8 = I really would like to own one. Whats not to like is being in need of repair in Yerington, NV or Burns, OR, or George, UT, or Omak, WA, or Tok, AK. The nearest Ford dealer will not be of any use or help, but if FOMOCO enabled it's small town Ford dealers to work on Jags, I would be more inclined to buy an XJ8.

In OR, there is only one Jag dealer - in Portland, non in K Falls or Baker City.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Las Vegas has one.... but I get your point. Also, not every body shop in town can work on Aluminum.....it's a specialty. Still, I'm considering one.
    Living in the Northeast, this is the best time to own a big Jag sedan. More free time than usual, longer daylight hours, summer vacation driving, etc. These all add up to Summer being Jag time. Just imagine blasting up to Camden, ME or out to Tanglewood in an XJ, sterio going, AC on, everyone relaxed. Even the Hampton tolls would be a breeze from inside a an XJ.

Then the reality sets in that the other 3 seasons are not especially suited to RWD luxury sedans with white interiors. (I gave Jag a look about a year ago and the only exterior colors I liked came in a white parchment interior. Saddle or beige just wasn't available as I recall in Green, Titanium, etc.)
    I like that light interiors in Jags.....keeps me cheerful. Black or dark grey depress me.
  • pp1pp1 Member Posts: 4
    Have an 2004 XJ8 and every time I release the brake pedal, I hear a metal-to-metal noise - almost like th noise you hear after you wash your cash until the wheels dry - the same noise you can get any car to make when you just slightly release the brake while at a light - but this noise I get all the time. New pads - new rotors - still got it - any ideas????
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Over the years I have read from some of you that you have expierence sudden stalling.

The first time I have experienced it I was driving along at 65 mph for some half hour and all of a sudden the engine stalled. I shifted into neutral and cruised to a stop along the interstate.
    I turned the ignition off. The starter ran for a few seconds. I halted the start. Turned off the ignition and tried again. Figuring that the engine might be flooded I depressed the accelerator to the floor and held it for a few seconds while trying the starter again. The engine fired and returned to normal. No indicator lights appeared.

The second time it happened the same way.....perhaps a week later.
    This time the transmission indicator light came along with the stalling.
    This time I was able to restart from neutral while still moving.
    But, then the transmission was in "limp mode".
    I stopped about 10 minutes later and turned the engine off.
    About an hour later, after doing some business, I restarted and the transmission light went off and the transmission regained its full shift capacity.

I know this sounds strange but I have read and heard of others to which this has occurred.

I will take it to my dealer to have them check the codes but I am curious if any of you have had any experience like this ?
    What was the diagnosis?
    Repair cost?

Suggestions / help / advice appreciated so that I can be sure my cat is in the best of health !

Christchurch
    I was just reading back through numerous posts to see if anyone had a similar experience regarding strange stalling.(see my last post (# 2179)

I found yours, which now that I think about it, I read when it was posted with curiosity.

Now that I have had the stalling expierence, I am more curious as to the cause.

I am wondering if we are addressing the same stalling issue.
    Please see my last post. (# 2179)
    Is there any update since you posted ?

Did you find out what was the problem?
    Advise ?

Curious !

Christchurch
    I may have been too hasty in my post a day or so ago. Upon thinking about it, an '04 or later Jaguar sedan with the electronic traction control and four Blizzak-type winter tires should be competent enough in winter. At least as good as any S Class w/o fourmatic. My mental image of a Jag needs to be adjusted.
  • gxmangxman Member Posts: 2
    recently i detailed the inside of my jag i hit the valet mode button now i can't get it out of valet mode.i don't have a remote. is there anyway to manually get out of this mode. i tried pressing the valet mode button over and over again and again. still my trunk won't open and my sunroof will open but does't stay open it closes in about ten seconds. is there anyone out there that can help. thanks.
  • jescue1jescue1 Member Posts: 12
    manually unlock the trunk.This should cancel valet mode.The sunroof I have no idea.
  • cshdynamitecshdynamite Member Posts: 2
    I am very interested in buying a 2005 XJ8, but I know it is a RWD car. I live on Long Island, where we get a fair amount of snow in the winter, and I am concerned about skids and not being able to get up hills in the snow. I would love to hear from XJ8 owners about their winter driving experiences.
  • pp1pp1 Member Posts: 4
    Had my XJ8 this past winter here in Philly and had no problems. Of course, it's not an SUV with 4 wheel drive. I used the manual shifting of the transmission to allow better control and took it slow. Good luck.
  • cshdynamitecshdynamite Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Are you happy you got the car? Is it what you expected? Any problems?
    While I'm no expert on XJs, I do recall that Car & Driver did a test a year or so ago comparing RWD, FWD, FWD , and AWD . My recollection was that installing good winter tires (the new kind, not our father's tractor lug type "snow" tires) effectively improved winter traction one level. In other words a RWD with Blizzaks was now as good as FWD w/o winter tires. A FWD with Blizzaks was comparable to an AWD with simply all season tires.

This makes me think that an XJ with traction control and a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels would be OK in Northeastern cities and suburbs although probably in rural upstate New York (hello, Car and Driver's Brock Yates, how does your XJ get around Wyoming, NY?), northern ME, VT etc. you would want FWD or better. Although it would probably handle it with ease, the mental image of an XJ on the Rt 32 in mid-coast Maine on a winter night boggles the mind.
  • desertjoedesertjoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Jaguar XJ6 with 48,501 miles that started using 1/2 qt. transmission oil per 400 miles. That progressed to 1 qt. per 400 miles to the point it lost all power and would not start. After checking compression, i removed the head and found all piston tops covered w/ a oily residue and gasket had been bypassing between #2 and #3 and #4.The intake manifold venturie had oil on it too. I am told this year jag did not have a vacuum operated modulator and i have not been able to find one on the transmission,,,so can anybody tell me how did the transmission oil get to the intake manifold? I am in process of getting head pressure tested and milled but need to find how the transmission oil got to the engine intake. Help and thanks loads. desert joe
  • sldelhaassldelhaas Member Posts: 4
    Hello Jaguar fans,

I have purchased a 1993 XJ6 and when I start the car in the morning the oil pressure is fine. Once warmed up after 10 min. or so the pressure gauge drops to 0 at idle and goes back up at about 1800 rpm.

Can somebody help me finding out what is wrong?
    Thanks,
    Steven Delhaas
    If your engine isn't clattering by now, it's probably just your pressure switch is going soft.
  • dbyers1dbyers1 Member Posts: 1
    Considering the purchase of an 01 XJ8 Vanden Plas. I am well aware of the past quality issues and am reluctant to make this purchase, but really like the car.

Are the timing chain/belt issues resolved in the 2001s? What specifics should I pay extra attention to when inspecting an 01 VDP? What is the life expectancy (in miles)?
    Over the years I have read from some of you that you have expierence sudden stalling.

The first time I have experienced it I was driving along at 65 mph for some half hour and all of a sudden the engine stalled. I shifted into neutral and cruised to a stop along the interstate.
    I turned the ignition off. The starter ran for a few seconds. I halted the start. Turned off the ignition and tried again. Figuring that the engine might be flooded I depressed the accelerator to the floor and held it for a few seconds while trying the starter again. The engine fired and returned to normal. No indicator lights appeared.

The second time it happened the same way.....perhaps a week later.
    This time the transmission indicator light came along with the stalling.
    This time I was able to restart from neutral while still moving.
    But, then the transmission was in "limp mode".
    I stopped about 10 minutes later and turned the engine off.
    About an hour later, after doing some business, I restarted and the transmission light went off and the transmission regained its full shift capacity.

I know this sounds strange but I have read and heard of others to which this has occurred.

I will take it to my dealer to have them check the codes but I am curious if any of you have had any experience like this ?
    What was the diagnosis?
    Repair cost?

Suggestions / help / advice appreciated so that I can be sure my cat is in the best of health !

Christchurch
  • audrey1audrey1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a '94 xj6,runs great has 133,00 miles,my power steering fluid just recently started leaking. I've had it checked and the mechanic says someone put the wrong fluid type in, he filled it with what type I don't know, still leaks but the level is never really low. I put in stop leak, still leaks any suggestions!!!! :confuse:Can I use any type of fluid in the JAG, Thx, audrey1
    I have a 1989 XJ6 Sovereign that is driving me crazy.

Some times the LC lights on my panel start flickering and the speedometer arm starts moving back and forth from zero to the speed I am driving. It can go like this for a while and then it goes to back to normal.

Another things that it does is that the computer where the cruise control is some time works and most of the time doesn't.

The cruise control works only if the LC indicator for the shift is on in the panel which most of the time goes off as soon as the gear is on "D" from Drive..

Does any one experienced something like this, what is causing this problem and what can I do to solve it.

Thanks,

Jose :mad:
  • soswicksoswick Member Posts: 1
    The same thing has happened to my 1997 xj8 sport 3 times now since I got her in April this year. First time I was on the outside lane doing 70 mph, not nice, managed to make my way over to the hard shoulder where she started with no problem. Second time, the same again. This time I'm not so lucky, she stalled at some traffic lights and would not start, had to be towed back to the garage.
    After looking on the web tonight I found this site, and started reading that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have found that the main reason in all most cases is the "THROTTLE BODY", so I'm going to pass this info onto the garage in the morning, hope to save them some time in fixing the problem.
    If they find that it is something different, then I'll post the reason on here.

soswick.
  • bigbenzbigbenz Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I'm looking at a couple XJRs but I've read in the specs they they don't get the "Best" gas mileage. Can you guys give me some insite from personal hands on experience in driving these? :shades:

Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi,
    I was looking at purchasing a 97/98 XJR and I read that they wern't the best on gas. Can someone tell me a little more about how bad they are "If this is true."

Thanks
    :confuse:
    They're as good as any large, powerful sedan you may buy. What did you expect?
    When you say good as any powerful sedan do you mean 15-20 Mpg like the BMW 740IL or the Mercedes S500 or 19-25mpg like the Lexus LS400?? :confuse:
    Yes, more like the Bimmer & Benz..... You know, European sedans. The LS is smaller, especially the 400.
  • gwcatongwcaton Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of purchasing an 87 XJ6 which has some incredibly nice wire wheels on it but believe it or not I would like to put some original wheels on it. I know someone who has a set that looks like new that he took of his 87 when he bought it new. They look newer than the wire wheels !
    Anyway, what would be a fair price for the original wheels ?

Thanks ,
    Gary
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm replacing a Mercedes S class and thats one of the disappointment I have with it. I do ALOT of city driving and it's nothing for me to put $400.00 a month in gas. I need something that's still classy but will do better on gas mileage.
    I got a set of wheels for my '89 XJ6 Sovereign and I paid $ 300.00 Canadian and are in perfect conditions, like new.

JV
    Thanks for the input . While we are on the subject what would the jag wire wheels sell for ?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Is there a plethora of 04 XJ8's for sale on the Right Coast?

They are from 7.5k to 10k more on the Pacific Coast.

TX Cars 4 Less are lower priced, but still quite a ways from the NW for inspection.

There seems to be just 3 markets Left, Right, & Down. :(
    Picking up our first XJ6 this saturday, an '87, and was wondering
    if anyone could educate me as to why the production was so low that
    year .

Thanks,
    Gary
  • wildcat05wildcat05 Member Posts: 3
    I really hate 2004 and 2005 body style of the jaguar XJ8. I would like for Ford to return it to it original european style. Ford are you listening.
    If anybody shares my view please let me know. :( :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Wildcat, looks are in the eye of the beholder. So I can't really disagree with your opinion, but I would say I love the new body style and will probably get one when I get a new car. The car looks very similar to the older version, however got "MUCH" needed additional interior room. I would never have gotten the old XJ8 because it was so narrow inside. The new one has much more room. I like the looks and think the car is a value buy compared to S class, 7 series, and A8. I would prefer each of those cars somewhat to the XJ8, but the price is much lower.
    I'm sorry - but I totally disagree with you - I like the 04's and 05's just great. And, they were designed in GB, so they're European, I believe. If anything, I don't think they went quite far enough in updating the design. It's so close to the previous model, you really can't tell unless you can check the taillights, which one you have. ;)
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I really hate 2004 and 2005 body style of the jaguar XJ8.

The new XJ's wheels are pushed out to the corner's, like the 1968 XJ. The previous XJ had a lot of front and rear overhang.

The new XJ's outer headlights are larger than the inner headlights, like the 1968 XJ. The previous XJ's headlights were the same size.

The new XJ has a curve in its rear door, like Jaguars of the 50s and 60s. The previous XJ did not have a curve in its rear doors.

Here is a link to the 2005 Jaguar Super V8. [B]It weighs over 800 pounds less than a BMW 760Li.[/B] It is the new XJ flagship. Geoff Lawson styled the new XJ. He died in June 1999. He also styled the new Jaguar S-Type.

2005 Jaguar Super V8

XJ's aluminum chassis.

Gee, most of the auto rags think that the new body style is way too close to the old style (which no one ever thought was vulgar) for Jaguar's own good.

What is vulgar, is the resale. Not so incidentally, Friday's WSJ had an ad for a 2005 Jag XJ8 LWB lease deal that was interesting: $795 a month with no $$ down for 24 months. The kicker was that the Jag factory/dealer was going to kick in $6250 of "Jag cash". I read this as a $6250 reduction from list price. I was puzzled. Why just 24 months? Wouldn't the depreciation curve start to flatten out then?
  • wildcat05wildcat05 Member Posts: 3
    Although I do agree of more overall room on the inside and better technology BUT the inside is cheaply made. Some of the luxury that we are accustom to have been deleted such as the burl walnut veneer trim on all four doors are replace with black plastics. The burl walnut veneer trim around the center console of the inside cabin for cd's or radio in no longer there.

I absolutely detest where they have put the taillamps, it is repulsive and takes away from the body of the jaguar.

They have done away with the beautiful chrome that surround the outside of the jaguar with ugly FORD BLACK PLASTIC. This car looks totally an AMERICAN FORD JAGUAR with some European similarities. :lemon:
    How much mileage was allowed? Probably one of those 10,500 mile/year leases. Those won't work for me - but some old geezers who never drive can use one. Ford has done 24 month leases before, lots of 'em. They seem to make them work. I'm sort of glad they are coming back.