Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    What would you like Jag to do? They have fixed every defect, I understand, under warranty. That's the contract. You want them to buy it back? They will - at lease end. The car's a lemon - but unless the owner has sued under the lemon law, Jag seems to have done what every other company pretty much does in this case - fix the car.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I would like Jag to take that particular vehicle back to their R & D for quality study.

I would accept another pre owned XJ8 considering the miles on the Lemon as a replacement.

Jag issued a sub standard unit & needs to cover their errors with more than the usual warranty as this particular vehicle is very unusual.

Side comment: Makes your decision to buy the MB all the more valuable.
    If Jaguar determined any of these defect to pose a threat to the owner via a safety problem, they would take it back and tear it apart - and, they would provide a NEW comparable XJ to the owner, no money changing hands with the existing loan with Ford Credit staying in place as is, unless the owner wanted to upgrade the model. If there wasn't an XJ to the customer's liking on the lot at the dealership, Jag would make one for him and ship it, and give him a loaner for the interim. Yes, they are that good about these things - it happened to a friend of mine. He happened to want to upgrade a bit, so a deal was struck for the difference, but I've never seen anybody step up better.

The problems with this particular Jag seem not to be safely related, just annoying. A car company doesn't really have an obligation to take back every car from dissatisfied customers - that's not what the warranty provides. It says they'll fix the defects. They've done that. That's what I'm saying.
    No argument with your points.

It's just that I feel there should be some compensation for enduring extensive post production corrective repairs to the car. A buyer of such a high quality automobile deserves much better than being a victim of chronic failures. His highly unusual list of complaints is deserving of more service than sticking to the warranty.

I know, "No Charge for the Inconvenience!"
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    In case you missed it:

First Drive: 2006 Jaguar XJ Super V8 Portfolio

What do you think?
    Oh, I agree, and I hope he always got a no haggle, no charge loaner for his downtime, and I hope the dealer did him some favors along the way too. My Lincoln dealer used to - before they were bought out - now my friends there are all gone, but 2, and one more is retiring in a couple of months. I know nobody in service anymore. It's one reason, I'm not buying another Navigator.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    That edmunds article says all 2006 XJs get a mesh grille. Only the 2006 Super V8 Portfolio, 2006 Super V8, 2006 XJR, and 2006 Vanden Plas get a mesh grille.
    "What do you think?

I think it makes a low mileage 04 XJ8 look very good priced @ 40k. :D
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Fantastic link, thanks.

While I'll defer to XKSS on this, I don't seem much difference between the Portfolio and the SuperV8. Sure, its got the Callum power vents, an even nicer interior, etc. but it is not a huge step up. Wouldn't it have been nice if Jag had talked AM into giving them a detuned V12 and talked Volvo into calling Haldex to supply for all of 2K an AWD system? Then it would really go head to head with the S Class V12 and win.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    Can the 04 Alpine stereo be upgraded to accept XM and ipod?
  • luckychuckie1luckychuckie1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying an XJ8 VP, 1999 with 71k miles. I am told "There are two cylinders that appear to be low when cold and as a result low speed performance is impaired"

Can you shed some light on this for me and what I could expect in repair costs?

• edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    So no one knows about 04 XJRs and ipods, etc?

ek
  • thealchemist43thealchemist43 Member Posts: 1
    I'm driving a Super V8 with only 3000 mi. It is a magnificent car to drive. I don't have a single sign of a mechanical defect. What is starting to occur, however, is a creaking at the roofline above the windows, centered on both center posts, that occurs whenever the body is flexed.
    It happens when I drive on rough roads or when I drive off a curb or driveway edge. Anything that isn't flat and smooth causes an annoying creaking above my left ear and in the same place on the right side of the car. I'm about to take it to the dealer, having just returned from out of the country.
    Has anyone else experienced this phenominon? If so, what was it and what was the fix?
    I'd appreciate any advice anyone out there can give.....other than "why in hell did you buy a Jag."
    This one drives great, everything works, but it creaks.
    I too admire the XJ8 so understand your choice of motorcars.

Question: Is the creak the sound of metal to metal or some other material i.e. plastic, wood, or rivits under pressure
    as the body twists in angling a driveway?
    Anyone awake? This board is positively sleepy. When I look at cars.com for realworld asking prices on '04 XJ and XJR sedans, I see about a 15K difference. That is, an '04 XJ can be had for 39K or so (asking) and the R version is still above 50K. This is about the same price spread as on day one when they rolled off the showroom floor. This tells me that the R Series really holds its value. Similarly, the '04 Vanden Plas (admittedly, there were not many sold in '04) also commands a premium close to if not equal to the price difference when it was sold two model years ago. I was hoping that these initial premiums would be receding and converging with the price of a plain jane XJ. (Hey, I can hope, can't I?)

Am I misreading this and the small number of used Rs skews this?
  • pops2pops2 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2003 XJR, platinum ext, w/blk interior from a Jaguar Dealership 7 months ago. At the time of purchase the car only had 12,404 miles (one owner) and now has 14,324 miles. I also have a 2003 BMW 330CI and 2003 Mercedes Benz E320 that we use as daily drivers. I wanted the 03 Jag because i've always admired them for their beauty and grace and thought the 04 XJ's look too much like a ford product. For the most part, the XJ is used on special occasions and before buying my Jag, i've research this site and read many other articles on my vehicle. The biggest fault I find and have read other similar complaints is that this vehicles interior parts seemed to have been made from very cheap plastic. Although the car only has 14,324 miles and is a CPO, i have taken it back to the dealership for interior/ext trim parts. The parts were replaced because they had looked worn out. Although, the car has sat in my garage, i've had to take it back again because the turn signal ticker stopped working, as well as, all warning chimes. The dealership here in SCal is fantastic in working out the bugs, however, my BMW 330CI which cost much less than the Jag is far better crafted. I find it hard to believe that the UK can market a car with such poor quality and far behind than other premium vehicles. I love this vehicle, and I expected my these problems to arise. However, i would have been far more disappointed if i've paid MSRP when the vehicle was new. All the fairly new X types that i've driven while my car was in the shop for minor repairs had obvious defects. Again, I love my Jag, but I will never consider buying a new one.
    Appreciate your comments. We are original owners of 94 Lincoln Town Car and have been considering replacing it with a low mileage '04 XJ8. Here's my one question.

Would you have purchased your Jag if the nearest dealer was 50 miles away from your home? :)
    No! I would not have purchased my Jag if the dealership was 50 miles away from my home. I am very lucky that my Jag Dealership is 10 miles from where i live. Its definitely not like a Honda or Toyota. Although it has never broken down on me, from my research and experience, it is a car that requires special attention to keep it in prestine condition. I have two other premium vehicles and there is no better feeling than driving a Jag. Its a special connection that i don't get from my MB or BMW.
    Pops2, you sure have a fleet of '03s! Most people that I know ladder their cars with a 11year old s***box with 120K on the odometer holding the bottom positon and then moving up to top out with something a year or two old.
    2003 was the first year of the new MB E320's. I fell in love with the body style and had to have one. My 03 BMW will be traded for a 2006 BMW 325XI wagon i have on order due to arrive in mid Jan 06. I Can't wait :)
    Are you sure you want to take that chance on this purchase? Unless you know a real good honest mechanic who can repair the car at a REASONABLE cost then it might be a good investment. However, the car already has 71K miles and who knows what might go wrong next. VDP are beautiful cars but they can turn out to be big money pits. My 2003 XJR is still under warranty and when that runs out, i plan on purchasing another warranty. Food for thought!
    Thank you for sharing your advice. A friend has a year old BMW and when it needs attention, it has to go to the city and be renewed. Guess I'll wait to see the new body Town Car as I don't want an '06 in the form of a '98. The only other upscale car sold locally is the Cad, which describes the dealer. :(
    Eupohonium, I take it that you live in the country and like Lincolns. Why not pick up the new Mark pickup truck? Upscale it is.
  • solidagosolidago Member Posts: 4
    I own a 1997 XJ-6 with 58,000 miles. I purchased it from the dealer in 2000 with 19,000. My own experience is that the car has to be driven. I own two other cars, and for the first two years I owned the xj I drive it on weekends and never in the winter. This was a mistake, as I had a few minor issues like dried-out transmission seals and sticky throttle body. I now drive it year round and run Vredestein Wintracs for winter tire here in the Northeast(great tire!) and Michelin XGT-Z4's in the summer (also a great tire, m & s rated, but lousy in snow- z rated zgt's are now out of production, but if you can find 4 (I did) grab them. Stay away from the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.) This car has been 100% reliable since I began using it every day. Anyway, with regard to quality parts, my own view is in 1998 XJ's forward, there is an increasing use by Ford of cheaper parts- not just the plastics, but check out the carpets and headliner as well. I love my XJ-6.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    OK, it's BIG decision time on this. Help me out. Dealer has an '06 Jaguar XJ Super V8 Portfolio and says I should get it before its gone. He says it's a rare chance. I was originally thinking about a loaded '06 XJ Vanden Plas. Then he showed me the Porfolio. Of course, it's gorgeous, but I don't really know if it's worth the giant price difference. Maybe it is, but maybe not. Also, he explained that Jaguar has new '05's at a fair discount, so these price differences become even more staggering . . . and confusing. Help me out here. Give me some feedback from experienced Jaguar folks. Thanks.
  • gotjaguargotjaguar Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem and it has happened everytime while I was using cruise control on a long trip. The car would not accelerate over 40 or 50 mgh. Leaving me on the highway traveling much slower than upcoming traffic. The 'fail-safe' amber warning was present. At first I was quite worried that this may be something serious and may leave me stranded or even worse locking up the transmission and such. I pulled over and went into a restaurant to eat and when I started the car again the light had gone and the problem as well. So the second time this happened, again traveling long distance I had used the same solution. I took the vehicle to the Jaguar dealership and they hooked it up to the computer that would tell them any and all warnings and alerts that have occured. Well the alert 'fail-safe' was not on their record. They told me that there was no problem and there wasnt anything they could do unless it happened and they witnessed it. So the warning didnt show up, they did nothing and it has happened again. I dont know what to do. The warning as far as I know has relations with the transmission. I am not sure the level of importance it may be or the damage it may lead to besides a collision on the highway. Have you resolved the problem with your vehicle? (I have the same year, make, model as you described) Please share with me what you may have discovered about this phantom problem, as I will if I get to the bottom of this.
    Solidago. Thanks for the advice. I also love my 2003 XJR and plan on keeping it for a long time, and someday pass it down to my heirs. As you well know, my car has 14,000 miles and driven only on special occasions and weekends. However, at 14,000 miles should the engine and transmissions seals be broken in and settled into place? Also, I am not sure about stick throttle body issues on 03 XJR's, but i do know that it was an issue on earlier XJ models. Has anybody ever had mechanical issues with newer XJ's not driven often? Your comments lead me to believe that i need to seek further technical advice and take precautionary measures to prevent any future mechanical problems with my rarely driven XJR. My goal is to keep the mileage down, and someday have a collector car in the future. Also, when my warranty expires i anticipate on purchasing a good extended warranty plan. As i do know, these cars are extremely expensive to repair.
    Does anybody who owns a 2003 and earlier XJ's know if there is a product that can be used to prevent the turn signal and windshield wiper stalks from becoming faded? When i was in the market for my XJ, i've noticed the plastic stalks on XJ's were badly faded, as well as, other interior pieces.
  • solidagosolidago Member Posts: 4
    You're probably all right with the transmission seals. The throttle body problem was endemic to the earlier cars, not yours. You need to find a good private shop that deals only in Jaguars repairs for post-warranty work. You will still need to bring the car to a dealer for alignments (rare), as the XJ requires rear wheel adjustments which the typical alignment specialty shop does not offer (and does not tell you about until after they do the job, you pay them and then its "by the way..." Be careful with the extended warranty plans. Many of these are sold by dealers (such as Jag dealers), only to have the warranty company go bad, and you are out $2,500.00. You find out about these after you receive notice of a settlement of a class-action suit brought against the warranty company, leaving plaintiffs with little protection or benefits. I had such an experience with an extended warranty on my Volvo S80.

The only other problem I have had with my XJ is cracking veneer on the driver's door and ashtray(!) cover. Not sure why, but they showed up after 40,000 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this? Since the veneer is covered in a polymer of some type, I do not believe there are any penetrating moisturizers that would be effective.

You should subscribe to Jaguar Monthly magazine or find a local bookstore with a good mag section that carries it. You can also check out the website which is out of Great Britain- Kelsey Publications. JM has a lot of good technical advice; the rest of the magazine is only fair and not particularly objective. Also, jaglovers.com is a must, if you are not already familiar. Check out jagbits.com for parts and accessories.
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I posted earlier about the countless problems with my '04 XJR. I understand those that see this as an isolated case, but I am not so sure about that. I just ran into another former owner of an '04 who got his car bought back under the California Lemon law. He complained about electrical problems, suspension issues and brakes...

Meanwhile my situation only gets worse. The car has been displaying an suspension error message, and the rear end was making noise, even after the complete replacement of the differential. The car has been at the dealership all week, and they are now awaiting parts to replace the drive line, and rear sub-frame. Great, huh?

As I mentioned earlier, all I want is to get out of this problematic car....I even have told Jaguar I would lease another one if they could take me out of this early for the lease residual value. Given all of my problems, I think that this is a pretty magnanamous approach.

I talked to the dealership manager about taking me out of this one, but my lease residual is at $46,000 and he will only give me $39,000. Menawhile Edmunds True Value trade in Value is more like $44,000. By they way, he has a low mileage '04 like mine already on his lot with an asking of $46,888. This only goes to show the poor depreciation of these cars. Watch out, if you are thinking about buying one instead of leasing!

I do not care what anybody says, the problems with my car, combined with the lousy attitude of Jaguar makes me think of Jaguar in a really lousy light. I could not recommend this car to anyone. JUNK!
    Sorry about your personal experience Fenn, but it appears your situation is not the typical norm for this motorcar.
    The article below appeared in last Friday's Seattle Times.

Jaguar owners are happiest :):):)

By Tom Incantalupo

Newsday

PREV 1 of 2 NEXT

Want to be a happy car buyer?

Open your wallet a little further.

A new survey says luxury-car buyers tend to have the most pleasant purchase experiences, with Jaguar owners happiest of all.

Least happy are buyers of Isuzus, say surveyors at the California-based market research company J.D. Power and Associates.

Ranked behind Jaguar in the annual survey are, in order, Lexus, Buick, Porsche, Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo. :)
    JD Power has numerous automotive surveys in various areas.."Purchase Experience" covers just the purchase experience. BTW, I am a JD Power Panel member.

The "purchase experience" survey is one that addresses the transaction, and the buyer's satisfaction with the actual deal, and interface with the dealer. By the way, I had a pleasant enough "purchase experience" with my XJR, but the long term reliability is a different story.

They have other surveys about long term satisfaction and reliability. I know Jaguar has done pretty well, but I really have doubts whether the new XJ series cars are going to be everyone's favorite on a long term reliability basis.

By the way, I am reviewing my service tickets and added up a total 33 trips to the dealer, and 88 days of loaner cars during the 27 month tenure with my XJR. And, it is still there right now. I get to drive a loaner X Type for the weekend. Gee, thats just wonderful huh?
    The "purchase experience" survey is one that addresses the transaction

Thank you for pointing that out. IMO this survey is clever or deceptive or both. Now that you've explained it, I guess Jaguar dealers serve a better brand of Scotch at the time of closing. F & I used to mean Finance and Insurance, however, at the Jag dealership is stands for Familiarity and Intoxication. :D
  • devoedevoe Member Posts: 1
    I need help! My radio doesn't work since I disconnected the battery. Does anyone know (I have the code) how to release the security on the radio?
    P.S. 1990 XJS12

Thank you for your time & help
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    It would be more likely that the Jag XJ is generally a good vehicle for most, but the occassional nightmare car creeps up and plays havoc with the otherwise decent reputation. It's a real shame, because the XJ represents one of the most beautiful and well-priced lurury cars in the world.
    Here is the follow up... The car ends up with 91 days of shop time in 27 months...Yikes.

I had an attorney ready to fire on Jaguar, but was advised that this could take 45 days.....meanwhile I need tires and I am out of warranty. But, after much conversation. and the help of the dealership, Jaguar has tried to offer a concession. They are willing to give me a credit of $3000 if I apply it to another Jaguar. I still face a small shortfall, but my car needs a full set of tires, and rear brakes are at about 20%, so I will be facing in excess of this in maintenance costs in the next thirty days if I keep it.

So, I am giving them another chance. I wanted an '06, but there are not any real deals available on the 2006 models, while there are huge incentives on the '05's. They offered me a deal on a leftover '05 XJR for over 11,000 off of window. So, that's new XJR with navigation for under 67,000. I am going to do it. I will lease the car for a few months, then if it seems like a good one I will convert to a purchase and get the Jaguar Select Edition 100,000 mile warranty.

I will keep you posted.
    The dealer is on your side and has gone to bat for you. Perhaps Jaguar and the dealer are giving up profit so as to happyize you, all 91 days considered. 11k off window is a pretty good deal on a new 05. Let's hope this replacement unit gives you much better ownership history. :)
  • daddyonedaddyone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 XJ8 VDP and have just driven from TX to Colorado for a party. The outside temp is well below freezing and I can't get my car to start!! We are considering leaving it here and flying back to TX and coming back for the car when it warms up. Is there a trick to starting this car in the cold?? I love my Jag and don't like seeing her sit there covered in snow!! HELP :(
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Not XJ8 specific, but it could be the battery. It's much harder for a battery to start a car when the weather is very cold - if the battery is older, it might have just given up the ghost on you.

If that's not it, you need to provide more specifics about what actually happens when you try to start the car, and you should check out our "No Start" Problems as well. You may find some other suggestions that point you in the right direction.

Good luck - let us know what happens.
    My Alpine skiing experience with starting cold cars includes thawing the fuel line. If the starter motor turns over the engine, but no go, tow the car to a warm garage and let the interior warmth of the garage thaw out the fuel line. Condensation forms in the tank and droplets of H2O get in the fuel line. Prevention is to empty two cans of "Heat" or some other methenal alcohol that makes the water miscible with the fuel. The aforemented assumes the battery is in excellent condition.
    I know that you are no troll, but do tell us more about how one can:

1) early on in a lease, cancel the lease and then purchase the car,

2) after you finesse the leasor, get your Jag dealer to, ostensibly, give you no charge the Select Edition warranty when you purchase the car. (I realize that you didn't say "no charge" but it sure reads that way.)

Does the institution that wrote the lease (e.g., Chase) know that they are going get back a used car after only "a few months" of payments? What are THEY going to do with it?

Finally, not to rain on euphonium's parade, while a new '05 for 67K is nice, a used '05 for 62K is a lot nicer. Please realize that this car is now one year old (regardless of miles). Used '05s with the Select Edition warranty (which is longer than Fenn's new '05 warranty) go for well under 67K. This lobsterman would rather spend 62K for a used '05 XKR and get a longer warranty than spend 67K for a new, one year old car with a shorter warranty. (We won't even go into the higher sales tax, higher excise tax, higher insurance costs for the car with the significantly shorter warranty.)

This whole deal would have been a lot better if they gave you a good discount on this year's model not last year's model.
    I agree with your opinion of having a better guarantee on a previously owned Jag, but maybe he values automobile virginity more.

Being from the West side of the Cascades I don't mind a little rain any time.

Wishing you and All a Merry Christmas!

Euphonium :)
    I will respond to the questions raised by blckislandguy.

It seems that there may have been some confusion about my situation. I described my problems in earlier posts. Let if suffice to say that I am trying to get out of an XJR lemon, with 91 days of shop time and 34 total service visits. I have been fighting with them and negotiating for some relief. Jaguar offered me a rebate credit on my lease due to the problems, to be applied to a new lease/purchase.

Jaguar and the dealer offered me a new '05 with navigation and front park control for under invoice, plus I got about 7000 in incentives on the '05. They dealer takes my current 52,000 mile "lemon" back for $40,000, while the residual is currently about 45,000. It looks like I am taking a bath, but I am getting back $3000, and I am avoiding the cost of new tires and brakes, which are now needed. I am also out of the warranty, so I am at risk with this car. Can you see how the numbers work ???

Meanwhile, I want to avoid another situation with a high mileage car and a lease. The Select Edition warranty is one of the best, but you can only get it on a used certified or lease buy-out. You can lease a car through Jaguar Credit and elect to purchase the car at any time during the lease period. You can also purchase the Select Edition warranty for about $2500. The important fact is that you cannot buy the select edition warranty on a new car. To the best of my knowledge, it only works on a lease conversion, lease return, or dealer-sold used Jaguar.

By the way, I never said that the Select Edition 100,000 warranty was a freebie. It is also a part of the cost when buying a used Jaguar. In many cases the Select Edition is an option, and is not included in the advertised prices of late model Jaguars. FYI, I visited or called several dealers inquiring about Select Edition cars, and most quoted the Select Edition warranty as an extra cost option.

By the way, my rationale for taking the car from lease to purchase is directly targeted at obtaining a Jaguar 100,000 warranty for a high mileage car. At an average annual 23,000 miles in a Jaguar, the factory warranty is gone well before the lease term. As my current experience has shown, having an XJR without warranty coverage can be dangerous and costly.

I disagree that buying a used certified car for $60,000 or more is a more sensible choice than buying a fresh new car for $66,000. For me, it makes more sense to have a brand new car vs certified used Jaguar with 15,000 miles or more. By the way, I just looked at a used '05 with 18,000 with an asking price of 62,900. I am aware that this price may be negotiable, but how can this be sensible compared to a new one for less than $4000 more??

After my experience I cannot see taking on somebody else's used Jaguar for a few thousand less as a sensible decision. I know that a powerful rocket like an XJR can be driven pretty damn hard by a lessee, so you might be inheriting somebody else's lemon---even if it does have a warranty. Granted, I need to add in another $2500 for a Select Edition, but this is still worthwhile in my own mind.

FYI, a new '06 with a window of over 80,000 had no rebates, and even with the dealer cutting a sharp deal, it would cost about 76,000 at this time of the year when the '06 XJR are just coming in. The '05 at $66,300 seems like a deal to me.

Taxes and insurance differences are not really that different on either one.

This may not make sense for anyone else, but it works for me as a high mileage driver.

Furthermore, after having had an XJR that had its differential, drive line, subframe, rack and pinion, etc replaced I feel better breaking in a new one rather than taking pot luck on a used one.

By the way, I picked up my new car today, It is really nice. Meanwhile, the automatic door locks on my '04 were randomly clicking on and off, as I drove it to the dealer. The funny thing is that it is likely that my lemon will be cleaned up and sold as a Select Edition Jaguar---they actually can certify and resell late model Jaguars with under 54,000 miles. Imagine the lucky person that gets my old car!
    Automobile Virginity has it's virture. I applaud your decision. :)
    Thanks for your thoughts. I hope you enjoy your purchase.

I didn't realize that the Jag Certified lease was so malleable in how it is purchased. I'm surprised that Jag dealers offer it as an extra cost OPTION on a used vehicle. This makes it simply a gloried extended warranty. Not a select, choice, used vehicle with a good provence. My impression is that with BMW the car is certified (at a cost of $900 to the dealer PLUS all repairs he makes) or not before it is offerred for sale. As such it is either fish or fowl. (The BMWUSA web site I think only lists CPO cars.) This is a much purer and better way. IMHO Jag would have a stronger brand if it CPOed cars like BMW. But then again, Jag could do a lot of things better.
    I do not mean to say that they will just sell the warranty without going through the vehicle. Any Select Edition car needs to be inspected. However, if I do this while the car is under original warranty, the costs of any needed, or suggested repairs etc will likely be done as a warranty item, and/or the cost will be a part of the fee charged.

I also did not mean to suggest that just any car will be a part of the program. My own approach may be a strategy that was suggested due to my history and relationship with the dealer. I doubt that many folks are guided in this direction, but most folks do not drive as many miles as I do

Contrary to your thoughts, Jaguar's Select Edition has been rated as the top resale/CPO program by more than one source. As a matter of fact, Intellichoice rated Jaguar as the top program, and BMW's CPO program was not even listed in the top five luxury programs, but Jaguar, Lexus, Audi, Cadillac and Volvo were.. Go figure..?

I will say that my new '05 XJR is a seemingly flawless car within the first 400 miles of use. I have not found anything to complain about. My '04 had some trim issues and fit and finish glitches that were obvious by comparison, along with some malfunctioning systems.

Proof again, that the first model year of an all new car should be avoided... until they get the kinks out.
    Good to hear that your new XJR is proving to be OK.

My comments about the Jag CPO program were aimed at the apparently descetionary nature of it: "Mr. Customer, would you like us to CPO this car and add it to the invoice or do you want it as is?" I believe that BMW doesn't offer it up that way. BMWs are either CPOed or they are not (and those that are not are usually wholesaled off the lot). My comment doesn't really denigrate the Jag CPO program as much as denigrate the Jag marketing people. I think they would have a stronger brand if the CPO was presented less as an extended warranty. I agree though that the Jag and Volvo 100,000 mile CPO warrantys are compelling.
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Just a note of well wishes to all who appreciate the special relationship we have with our Jaguar motorcars.

I must confess I have never owned an automobile, American or European, that I have enjoyed driving more. From the very first view of the Jaguar sensuous lines and classically stylish design, I anticipate the pleasurable Jaguar driving experience. While I agree that the "cats" need special pampering, it is well worth it. "Lemons" can be found in all brands. There is no substitute for good and regular preventative maintance ...... good medicine for any brand. It is amazing what a good, competent mechanic and friend can be in positively supporting the Jaguar experience.

Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn driving my XJ Jaguar is a pure delight.

So, I wish you all a wonderful and great "Jaguar Year"... full of good safe and pleasurable motoring in what I still believe is a great Jaguar motorcar experience... truly, unlike any other !

Christchurch
    shown on page 16,"Automobile" February '06. 2009 is the proposed intro date. This new model is to answer the recent poor sales history. Bringing out a new design does, IMO, not correct their marketing strategy and problems. :(
  • fullhappyfishfullhappyfish Member Posts: 3
    I'm being offered a 57,000 mile '93 XJ6 in excellent condition for $1300. Owner claims the cylinder head gasket is blown.

1. I'm reasonably skilled and have done several cylinder heads (ohc) in the past - any guess on how much time it will take to R&R the cylinder head?

2. I know these warp.... are they known to crack? Where?

3. Any other precautions or advice?