Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• solidagosolidago Member Posts: 4
    If you can find a low-mileage 97 xj-6, you will have a very reliable car. I bought a 97 in 2000 with 19K, and other than replacing a transmission oil seal (from non-use, a front end oil seal (common), and a throttle body (also common), it's been a great car. Now have 60K. The downside is you will not have a Jag certified-preowned with the 6 yr./100K warranty. But the 4.0 6 is a great engine. The V-8's, at least the early years, have had trouble. The materials in the 95-97 xj-6 are superior to what you find now- Ford influence- check out the carpets and headliners. Find a private jag mechanic and ask them- they love the 4.0 6. Good luck.
  • volvo4lvolvo4l Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 Jag XJ8 and need to do an oil change. However, i cannot figure out how to remove the cover underneath the car. Can someone help ?
    thanks
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Volvo4l, sorry can't advise on a Jag. I can tell you that changing it on an XC Volvo with a similar plate can be an ungodly mess if you don't get the filter back on tight.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    Gentlemen,

It is time to get your MBA caps on. Which one of the three cars listed below is the better deal:

1) Locally owned '04 XJ , Black on Black with 9K miles, CPO, dealer owned, 44K

2) New '05 XJL , BRG with Sand, 56K

3) New '06 XJL, Black on Black, 66K

Curiosly enough, the '06 is virtually identical to the '05 except Jag added a chrome ring around the tail light and deleted the mid-door rub rail for a cleaner look. Sadly, the '06 already had a ding where the protective rub rail would have been.
  • rvevearvevea Member Posts: 11
    Saw your post & should have replied earlier. Don't know your knowledge of Jag line so maybe my concern is unfounded. Hoping the unit you were looking at WAS/IS an XJ series & not the X series. World of difference & Jag/Ford added the VDP option to the X so it could be confusing to a newbie. Hope that is not the case, or if so, that you found it out before it was too late. The $34,995 figure suggests, at least to me, that this could be the likely scenerio, assuming the car is "honest". If it IS an XJ8 & "honest" then, YES, it is a steal & the seller is uninformed and lost, to say the least. Please quell my curiosity.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    All short wheelbases? Any equipment differences?

Initially, I'll say don't touch the '06, but tell me if there are ANY equipment differences between them, because to be honest with you, I'm not yet sure ANY of them are a good enough deal.
    notice '04 is std wb, '05 & '06 are lwb. There are MANY '05 lwb (XJL's) available with very low to decent (20k at most) miles ranging from $42k to $50K. Should be able to find a real decent one with about 12k for $46, saving $10k. Remember... as SOON as the new '05 or '06 is titled to you it IS a USED car. Period. If worried about warranty get it "certified" for a few extra bucks. Still a lot less and biggest "first" depreciation factor is gone. Your local Jag dealer CAN get you one of these. Give him a couple color choices and 30 days. You'll be an owner.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Only because I saw an 04 XJ, Radiance on White with 1,500 miles by private owner in Providence RI when surfing through Auto Trader a couple of weeks ago do I discern that your 04 is 6 to 7K over priced.

Had that Radiance with 1,500 miles been within 300 miles of me, I would have checked it out, but 3,000 miles is just too far. It sold very quickly anyway.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Yes, it was an XJ8 Vanden Plas - but there is a "catch." The car was on the dealer website for $34,995. I drove it and told the salesman that I would be back the next day for them to appraise my LS for possible trade. We didn't even discuss price.

When I returned the following day, the salesman sheepishly told me the website was wrong. They have 2 XJs - the Vanden Plas that I looked at and another base model with about 40,000 miles. They had apparently done some sort of "cut and paste" when they set up the site. They had all the information and pictures for the Vanden Plas but they had the price and VIN of the base model. The Vanden Plas is $42,995. The base model with the higher miles was $34,995.

They made an honest mistake so I didn't push it. However, I kind of lost interest in the Vanden Plas at $8000 more than the price quoted on their site.

By the way, my understanding is that there are a couple of significant upgrades to the 2006 models - more insulation and thicker glass. I haven't driven an '06 but I am told that they are much quieter than the '04 and '05s.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I'm conflicted about these warranties, because I've never got my money out of one yet.

IMO it's all about one's comfort level with risk. I'm relatively risk-averse and turn my own car over toward the end of factory warranty as a routine matter. My wife, however, keeps a car for 10 years so extended warranty has saved us a fortune in the lives of her last two cars.

I came within a whisker of buying an '03 VDP w/ 7K miles on it but balked because I would have had less than a year of coverage ... and the local dealer didn't know whether an extended warranty was available from Jaguar! While I found it hard to believe at the time, I took it as a message to stand clear of that unit despite the fact that it was a spectacular specimen. Bart :shades:
    The differences between the '05 and '06 are there, but they are NOT nearly as significant as the salesmen would have you believe. The missing body molding on the '06 might be a bit more attractive, if you are so inclined, but not worth the risk of possible dings on the aluminum body. The moldings look fine, IMO, and are probably better to have than not, as on the '05. The '06's brakes are slightly larger, but not a major difference that should be of any concern whatsoever. The road noise difference is very slight, as the '05 and '06 are both respectably quiet. For the most part, the '05 and '06 are the same, but the price is not. Further, the '05 comes with included maintenance while the '06 does not. The newer '06 wire mesh front grill insert is interchangeable and available in the parts department. If you think it makes enough of a difference you can order it and swap out the front grill. Getting a killer price on a good '04 or '05 is the way to go. History will prove that this will be one of the best times EVER to buy an XJ. The current generation is gorgeous and reliable and can be had for a steal. My recommendation is the Vanden Plas with rear entertainment multi media if you can find one. The built-in headrest color monitors are so very cool, and the center console has an amazing control center for all the media. That way you get the long wheelbase, and all the other upgrades as well.

TagMan
    Tagman, what about the '04 vs. the '05/'06? Are there any compelling reasons to go for the later version/

Incidentally, I'm told by a dealer that very few '04 LWB cars were brought in. One partial explanation (mine not his) of why the '04 resale is so low is that the cars are all plain jane XJs. When I cruise cars.com I see a stiff premium for the XJR and believe it or not, the Vandeplas. The latter seems to command the same resale as the XJR! The price premium between an XJ and the XJL/XJR is at least 10K for an '04. Maybe more. In carspeak, the VandePlas and the XJR seem to "residualize" well. Not sure about the XJL. I don't seem much difference in price between it and a SWB.

What are your thoughts on brisk driving? The less expensive SWB would seem to handle better on the interstate AND around town. IMHO I just don't see the reason for the LWB: only people like Rummy have chauffers; if you have dogs, the Irish Wolfehounds ain't going to be in the Jag; no one picnics by the road anymore so the fold down tables are frivolous; while the back seat is bigger on the LWB the trunk is no different so you aren't going to be carrying any more golf clubs or whatever; I just don't get it.

On the other hand, if I could find a nice used XJ SWB, a set of 20" Sepang ($4500 option on the XJR) wheels on Ebay, and a guy who would install the thicker 31mm XJR antisway bar on it for short money, I would be a happy guy.
    I just don't get it.

Well, there are the LPS guys and there are the HELM guys that are gererally split between indulgence and performance. Sometimes the same beast, but often enough two seperate animals. That explains the values for the XJR and the Vanden Plas BOTH being better. I personally prefer this automobile in the longer wheelbase. From my personal perspective the Vanden Plas is the ideal icon for the XJ.

Somehow, I'm very partial to the '05's in general as the best all around buy, but you must know something here that I would like you to share at this point. So fill me in already.
    Tagman, sorry, no secrets. Like you I think that a used '04 or later XJ is a great buying opportunity and I'd just like to pick the best year in terms of price/ depreciation vs. features.

Incidentally, I'm old enough to be a sucker for BRG with a tan interior. I can recall when half of the TR4s in the world seemed to be BRG. Curiously, I don't see many used XJs in BRG. And, the green in the XJR is the lighter, Jaguar Racing Green which is not to my liking. IMHO the XJ, like most HELMs, looks better in a dark color. I couldn't imagine one in white.

On a side note, I drove an '04 XJ recently whose front seats were fantastic. They were far more supportive than my Porsche Cayennes and more comfortable than our Volvo XC.
    Personally, as I've mentioned, I believe this car is a potential steal if you can get it the right way. The right way, of course is your own preference, but there are some guidelines to consider. You have already indicated that you are aware that the Vanden Plas and the XJR are the better resale. In the longer run, the Vanden Plas will do even better because it won't have been driven as hard or even abused as can be the case with the XJR. Also, the long wheelbase is getting to be popular again. Look around at other Marques and you might agree. Even Lexus will be introducing their very top tier in a long wheelbase. So, this supports the long-term consideratin of the Vanden Plas. Also, it has all the bells and whistles. Total luxury all the way. It is, IMO, the Jaguar XJ icon. But again, if you like to really put your foot into it and need even more power, then the XJR may be your ticket. Interestingly, the standard engine gets exceptional mileage that is so good it would require another manufacturer to use a hybrid or diesel to compete with it. It's truly amazing. And, of course, the XJ is elegant and gorgeous, as well as comfortable. The fact that it is aluminum is somehow forgotten sometimes, but is just another wonderful thing about the XJ. And the modern XJ is even reliable enough to not lose any sleep. Interestingly, the '05, if purchased new, comes with 4 years of full maintenance as well as the warranty, and the '06 does not. I vote for a new '05 at a terrific price or a very clean used '04 or '05. As far as the burgundy color goes, yes I remember the Triumph TR6 and other British cars in burgundy, but I would caution you that resale would probably be a little compromised. Modern popular colors are black, silver, gun metal gray, and white. White is not quite as popular on the XJ, and the number one selling color for all cars in the USA for the fifth year in a row is silver. It looks terrific on the XJ, IMO, as do dark colors as you suggested, especially black.

Ultimately, it is a gorgeous vehicle that can be had for about half to two-thirds of what any other comparable HELM would cost you. And in some ways it is MORE car than those others. It's amazing to me.

Good Luck.

TagMan
    "BRG" or "brg"... in Jag or any English built car (MG, etc)is British Racing Green. All greens, especially darker ones like BRG, SEVERAL years ago were VERY popular. (Like in the '50's & 60's) But greens have been quite poor sellers for the last 35 years, with the exception of just a handful of British car buyers or us older nostalgia seekers. I prefer, for ease of maintenance, WHITE! I don't have to wash mine but every couple months and it still looks good. IMO... As long as I've got the cat on my hood it looks good in any color.
    My terrible oversight on the color. BRG is British Racing Green, and I was reading so fast, and it was late. Shame on me for being so brain dead on that one. I also recently missed an L on XJL on a recent post, and therefore didn't recognize that a long wheelbase was being referenced. I definately need to slow down and read more carefully sometimes.

In any event, we totally agree that it is a poor seller, and not necessarily a very good choice, unless you happen to love it, and then it doesn't matter any more. And, BTW, since you mentioned white , I think white is an outstanding color choice. Over the years, I have owned various vehicles in white and always thought it was a smart pick. Even though white it is not statistically a major seller for the XJ (according to the dealer, at least), I personally think it makes for an outstanding looking vehicle. We completely agree, and once again, forgive my display of idiocy, as I usually do better than that. Again, thanks for the wake up.

:)

TagMan
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I have "been there and done that" with an '04 and and '05 XJR....

I say that the '05 model is the hot choice for value---and long term reliability, over the '04. Meanwhile, I actually think that the '06 changes are pretty negligible---the changes in the trim with the body molding etc. are not noticed by anybody but a Jaguar aficionado. I drove an '06 and did not sense any really significant change in quietness due to the insulated glass either. Although, the new '06 brakes might be the only reason, if the new revised brakes turn out to be less squeaky.

I originally thought that the increased horsepower in the supercharged XJR was a noteworthy '06 change, until I realized it was just a recertification that raised the HP ratings, rather than any changes to engine.

So, having owned/leased an early '04 and my current '05, I would say that it is best to go for the '05....and do not pay a big premium for the '06.

The overall build quality, trim fit and execution is better in the '05 than my '04. While I had a stinky lemon '04, I still feel that the first year bugs are worked out in the '05 and '06 versions.

I had no wheelbase choice in the XJR, but I prefer the SWB for handling and roadability. However, if you carry adults in the back seat, the LWB is the hot choice for leg room and comfort.

Even though I drive a supercharged XJR, I also want to say that the base XJ powertrain has plenty of pep and power. It is quick and responsive. Bear in mind, that I do not engage the Supercharger in my XJR in most daily driving, except for highway acceleration, or "ego exercise" and it is still a quick light car with the basic engine.
    So, according to you and I, and the others, the concensus then is for the '05. Well done, I must say. It really does show up as the one to get when you stop and take a good look at it. It would seem that the '05 Jaguar XJ represents on of the best HELM deals in history, and particularly the XJR and Vanden Plas versions.

Congratulations, gentlemen. Good work.

TagMan
    Hey... You have the same problems I have! I have to proof read everything. It would be easy for me to think I saw a "u" in between the b_rg. Also like the Rad Red but dealers claim that TOO is a poor seller. Best on the R or SWB, not the LWB. Had both SWB & LWB. I'ld definitely go LWB. Handling/performance difference negligable, price is right, classier look, easier resale, etc.. If handling is genuinely important then go the R and suffer the stiffer ride. But being fair & honest with ones self the extra guts are not needed very often & it really is mostly an ego builder. Fun playing with the kids in what they think are hot cars. If a lot more people realized how really fine the Jag IS... resale would skyrocket. That's the genuine Jag, XJ series, not the S and definitely not the X. But that's just MO. JAG RULES!
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    As the very happy owner of an 04 XJ, I am surprised to hear the number of posts talking about the "much improved" or "more reliable" '05s. I have 17K miles on my Slate Gray (dark gray) XJ, and have not had a single problem with the car. As far as the power relative to the supercharged XJR - if one drives the XJ sedan and presses the gas down to the floor - you better be prepared for the results. I was astonished at how powerful the 294 hp V8 felt. Of course, these XJ's are about 200 lbs lighter than their predecessors due to the alum body. Resale wise - no Jags have ever been great in that area - if I put mine on the market now, I would ask around 37K - but I paid $52K new. Sticker was $64K. I have checked around on the wholesale on the car - its about 31-33K.
    If a lot more people realized how really fine the Jag IS... resale would skyrocket. That's the genuine Jag, XJ series, not the S and definitely not the X. But that's just MO. JAG RULES!

The XJ is Jaguar's sedan icon, no doubt, and the Vanden Plas is the XJ icon, IMO. I agree . . . not the S, and definately not the X. The XKR is the sports car Jaguar icon. Two models . . . the XJ and the XK. That's really what Jaguar is now about.

The '04 is a fine car, and is essentially the same as the '05 and '06. The "new generation" is the XJ winner and there are improvements to be expected between the '04 and '05, but there are plenty of great '04's out there. But, to look at the situation from a purist standpoint, the '05 represents one of the best values, not only for a Jaguar, but for ANY luxury car on the market, provided that it is purchased at a good price . . . which is still easy enough to do! But, watch out! History is going to change this window of terrific value availability as Jaguar changes their price structure in the near future. Get one now, if you are seriously thinking about it. It will never be this good again. Never.

TagMan
    You'll be happy to know... the wholesale value is really $35K on an '04 XJ8, with an average of 22K miles. That is what dealers nationwide are actually paying. Then, in nearly every case, they still spend from $200 to $1000 in recon... and if they certify it and include an extended warranty, that is an additional cost. Your car, with less miles, even without an extended warranty, should bring a minimum of $39K.
    re post referring to XK series... my apologies. I just wasn't thinking about the coupes or ragtops. They, of course, are as true a Jag as the XJ series. Glad you also recognize the difference in the S and X series, as they are more accurately re-badged Fords with only a small part that can be actually attributed to Jaguar. They're still good looking... and make it easier for more to claim the bragging rights of owning a Jag... but they definitely won't earn a parking place in a true Jag connoisseur's barn. I also agree that the XJ's & XK's are a good value, both new & ESPECIALLY used!
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I am sure that many folks are happy and content with the '04 XJ's. Nonetheless, buying the first year of production on an all-new car does involve some issues that later cars do not have.

I admittedly had a lemon, so my experience may be an anomaly, but the service manager and G.M. at my dealership have confirmed with their experience, that the '05's are seemingly more free from bugs and glitches. This is just the evolution of the model...it happens with all cars during the first few years of production.

However, my XJR was a relatively early production '04 and there were plenty of flaws and factory bulletins for tweaks in these early cars. Most earlier '04's needed tranny flush and recalibration, and other tweaks. Some of us are more finicky about fit and finish than others, but I saw numerous fit and finish issues on '04's that are no longer a problem on later versions. Some people just do not notice things than might bug other drivers. For example the leather trim that wraps into the ashtray area on many early '04's was not cut neatly and/or shrunk away. The chrome trim on the tail-lights was also and problem on many '04s. Likewise the upper trunk liner came loose on my car three times....and the same thing happened on a relative's 04 XJ. These are little things, but they are no longer a problem in the later cars.

If the price differential between an low mileage '04 and a low mileage '04 is not too significant, it makes much more sense to go with an '05. If you find a killer deal on an '04 that looks good and feels right, then go for it.
    fenn - thanks for the extra insight. It once again highlights the conclusion that a decent '04 can be OK, but the '05 is the really the one to get . . . based on the inherent improvements of the '05, the included maintenance program (if purchased new), and the potential terrific price at this point in history.

A well-priced '05 XJR or '05 XJ Vanden Plas is a terrific car purchase . . . truly an unbelievable amount of car for the money.

TagMan
    If I could buy in a new '05 XJL in my choice of color with no options except the winte package for 50K , how would that be? While at first glance this sounds like a great deal (MSRP is 66K or so), would I be better off just buying a used '05 ,which is what this one will be when I drive it home, for 44-45K or so (if I could find one)?

Incidentally, thanks to Tagman et al I think I now more about late model XJs than most of the sales guys I have talked to. The last two weeks of posts have been very helpful.
    Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not a salesman for them. Have never been there or bought from them, but... check out TexasCarsDirect site for late model Jags. Maybe you are already aware of them or it may be too far away. If not, it might be worth a look and a phone call. There probably is more than one dealer in the states that handle similar large Jag inventories but I haven't heard of them. If anyone knows of others, how about a heads-up. I intend to add a second XJ to my garage. An R or L. If I can't find one close to home I would go the 1000 or so miles for the greater selection.
    Incidentally, thanks to Tagman et al I think I now more about late model XJs than most of the sales guys I have talked to.

You are welcome.

Have you ever seen cars.com? It MIGHT offer you some price perspectives. You can extend the search distance and parameters to whatever you like, and it could give you some extra insight . . . maybe. If not, then there is no loss. Whatever you do, if you reach into risky waters, be careful of sharks. Safety can be worth a little extra $$, if you know what I mean. Peace of mind is valuable, IMO.

Good Luck,

TagMan
  • reid11reid11 Member Posts: 2
    For 35 years I discouraged my wife from buying her dream car. A Jaguar. I relented and we bought a used XJR. Wow what a great car-until the transmission went out at 55k miles. Fortunatley we still had a few days left on the orig. Jaguar warranty. Jaguar installed a rebuilt trans at no charge to us except the ded. We thought it would be wise to purchase an extended warranty from another company but through the dealer. $3900.00 for the Gold level. 15 months and 10,400 later the second trans went out leaving my with stranded in heavy traffic. The warraty co. claims the are not required to replace it with another rebuilt but a like kind and quality one which would be ok if it had 10,400mi or less, however they claim they did not insure the transmission that was in the car when we bought the policy but the the car with 55k miles. Jaguars warranty expired after 12 months and they are not willing to participate in any way for another rebuilt. Needless to say we are very disappointed with the whole thing and will not buy another Jag. Any simalar problems or solutions? Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost for a professionally rebuilt transmission with a warranty? Does Jag have any factory reman exchange units? Does ZF in Chicago?
    What was the model year? How many miles were already on it when you bought it used? Was it a private sale or from the dealer?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    You have an insurance claims problem. If the replaced transmission was not specifically EXcluded from the Gold, $3900 policy, it IS covered. However, the fine print may generally expound on "subsequent REBUILT parts", which would be placing the insurance company in the position of offering a used rebuilt guarantee for another manufacturer.
    IF the exclusion is not in the contract, there is coverage. There is always the state insurance commission to consult. Good Luck.
  • reid11reid11 Member Posts: 2
    Its a 1999. Had 45k when I bought it, 55k when the first trans went out and now at 65k the second trans is out. I purchased it from a dealer where it has been for about 3 weeks. Still unresolved.

Thanks for responding so quickly.
  • muttstermuttster Member Posts: 2
    I am going to be in the market to buy a used car near the $20,000 range. I thought about a used Acura but I realy like the looks and styling of a Jaguar. Looking around I found a certified 2003 x-type with 43,000 miles for 19,9, a certified 2002 x-type with 23000 for the same money and a non cerified 2001 XJ8 for 19, 900 as well with 43,000 miles.

my conmcern is the cost of maintence, We have many dealers and independent mechinics where I live. Are the parts quite a bit more expensive that parts for a Acura or a Maxium? Are there anythings that I should look for or problems areas that I should know about? What do you think?
    Assuming you mean Maxima (Maxium?); the maintenance/repair costs will generally be less than either the Acura or Jag. Mostly because dealers for each brand don't see the owner/buyer in the same light. Parts would likely run slightly more (than for the Nissan) but not an appreciable amount. Reliability is comparable on later models as you are mentioning, but(regrettably) the X-type doesn't seem to be quite as trouble free as the other two. Remember... the X-type is basically a Ford. The XJ series, on the other hand, IS Jaguar and reliability has greatly improved over the last several years, and is right up there with the BEST. I own an '01 XJ8 with about 35K miles and it's been a GREAT car all around. Even the gas mileage is fine. On a 3500 mile trip, driving @ 80+ mph whenever possible (averaged 63 mph including going thru towns, construction, etc) I averaged 26.4 mpg going & 25.6 returning. Around town, with LOTS of really short jaunts, I still average about 17.5 mpg! (That's not much less than what other so called economy cars get, and I enjoy a better ride, quiet, and much much more.) $19,900 is a real decent buy. I would NOT sell mine for anything close to that, and I am a retired dealer so could replace it at a TRUE wholesale price. (Not book value prices- they are only a guide and a very poor one.) You are comparing apples to oranges with these three vehicles. The XJ is not in the same league at all, but if maintenance/repair costs are the deciding factor then go with the Maxima. All three, if taken care of properly and not abused or neglected should serve you well, but of course you have now way of knowing their full history. In EVERY case be sure that the cars are what they appear to be. Spend the time & $$ to have a GOOD independent mechanic check it out. (Maybe even a body shop also?)
    In regard to previous post about the XJR trans failure.. The R series, being supercharged for performance, is much more likely to be abused so, understandably, is more likely to be prone to drive train failure AND also more likely to have had body repairs than the normally aspirated cars. But, also... many people that buy NEW lower cost vehicles don't seem to maintain them as well. Pride of ownership aspect maybe? So no matter what, it is buyer beware. If it were my choice, and not so worried about POSSIBLE repairs, it would definitely be another XJ8!
    I'm basically VERY conservative... but in this case the pride of ownership with the XJ trumps everything else, IMO!
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    In regard to previous post about the XJR trans failure.. The R series, being supercharged for performance, is much more likely to be abused so, understandably, is more likely to be prone to drive train failure

I don't buy that as an acceptable excuse. Build a car with extra power, couple it with serious drivetrain parts that can take it. My guess is the drivetrain CAN take the abuse ... but from time to time mechanical stuff fails. And it's very possible, particularly in the instance just cited, that something else in the car is putting inordinate stress on the tranny and causing the failures. I'm not a mechanic ... never was, never will be. I just like to think logically. Bart (I'm still craving a Jag but can't pull the trigger on buying one because of past history. Nonetheless, I'm hearing more and more GOOD things about them now and may bite the bullet when my Infiniti lease is done. I had an XK120 fixed head coupe when I was in college ... beautiful but a piece of mechanical garbage.) :) :shades:
  • foster1foster1 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 1995 XJR. After charging the dead battery, the car ran fine. Then I parked it in my garage and now it won't start. The engine turns over but won't catch even briefly. I thought maybe the battery voltage was low and charged the battery again, but same result. Any ideas about what could be wrong? This is the first time the car won't work. Thanks, Foster
  • paulieppauliep Member Posts: 19
    If a lot more people realized how really fine the Jag IS... resale would skyrocket. That's the genuine Jag, XJ series, not the S and definitely not the X. But that's just MO. JAG RULES!

The XJ is Jaguar's sedan icon, no doubt, and the Vanden Plas is the XJ icon, IMO. I agree . . . not the S, and definately not the X. The XKR is the sports car Jaguar icon. Two models . . . the XJ and the XK. That's really what Jaguar is now about.

I copied two comments in italics, but I am curious about this issue. Never mind the X - it is a Ford platform. But why the criticism of the S? It looks like an older Jag, very nice retro style, and performs pretty well. I prefer the performance of the R version, which I have, to just about anything out there.

Secondly, I am interested in the 05 XJ series. The dealers who have leftover new 05s are getting a lot of support to sell them, I hear. Any solid info on how much?
    I think the issue with the S-Type is that its platform was developed jointly for the Lincoln LS and late Ford T-Bird. But Jag had more involvement with it than the X-Type, which is simply a European Ford Mondeo platform with rear wheel drive added to the Mondeo's front wheel drive. BTW, a curious comment on platform sharing is now happening at GM. Their SAAB ads extoll the virtue of SAAB's aircraft engineering. However, GM's first action after acquiring SAAB was to lay off all of SAAB's engineering staff (totaling 300 people). So I guess that important fighter aircraft experience wasn't worth keeping, except in the advertisements.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Well, i think the problem with the s-type is not that it's a bad car, just that there are a lot of great cars in the category. I've driven them both, and while the s-type is gorgeous, i can't see why else i'd pick one over a 5-series, for example.

As for the saab bit--that's not true. Recently, some of the engineering was consolidated with opel, and they moved to germany, but that's nothing like laying off the entire engineering staff after acquisition.
    Yeah, that's just what I said: all of the SAAB engineering staff was laid off, and what used to be the company SAAB is now only a sales and business center. Opel, for you information, is a German company making middle-level GM cars. Not Sweedish engineering. Hello? That's how large businesses get rid of business functions they consider redundant. But I'm sure OPEL engineers can make SAAB fighter jets, also, and GM will point that out in their ads.
    "Yeah, that's just what I said: all of the SAAB engineering staff was laid off.."

Well, no, my statement is almost the opposite of what you said.

Jaguar has consolidated a lot of engineering with ford, but i bet you wouldn't say:

"As soon as ford bought jaguar,they fired the whole engineering staff and now it's just a sales ploy."

It's as accurate as your statement. There is jaguar engineering happening in dearborn.

dave
    No, wrong again, Jaguar is completely different. They invested millions in a new engineering center in Coventry a number of years ago, and it is staffed by the same British engineers that have always worked there. The only Ford engineering relevant to Jaguar is shared systems such as vehicle stability control, emissions, etc., and (in the case of their middle and lower models) new platforms. If Ford did the same with Jaguar as GM did with SAAB, they would lose all their customers. (And in fact this was precisely the issue when the owners of Jaguar PLC were considering the sale of Jaguar to Ford back in the late 1980's).
    "No, wrong again, Jaguar is completely different."

Really? Shared paltform with the x and s-type? Using the completely ford-sourced duratec v6--not even a compeitive engine in the mid-priced cars category? Switchgear, internals.

It's not hard to argue saab's more independant than jag is. They were part of the team working on their new engine. :)

Can you back up your claims that GM fired all the saab engineering staff, and kept all the jag engineers? It shouldn't be hard to back that up using google, should it?

dave
    Suggest you do it, since you are the one who needs information, not I.
    "Suggest you do it, since you are the one who needs information, not I."

I have looked--there is NOTHING about GM laying off the entire saab engineering staff on the web, a fact which i suspect you know as well as I.

Notice you didn't respond to the rest of my post. ;)
  • buddygleebuddyglee Member Posts: 44
    Run it by an auto store and have them test the battery (or take the battery to them) Sounds like a dead cell.
  • alhaffalhaff Member Posts: 1
    interested in buying a 2004 vandan plas which was first registered in may 2003...is this early production on this restyled XJ and if so,is this any cause for concern??if car is certified does that counter any concerns?
    The newest generation XJ is 180 degrees from the last one. The change was made for the '04 model year and there are only scattered reports of issues with the '04, but compared to the earlier models it is by far a better animal. The new generation is so greatly improved, it is truly night and day. Certification does help, but make sure that any coverage you get is adequate for the amount of driving you anticipate. Also, does the dealer have a good reputation? Make sure.

TagMan