Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• leeinrenoleeinreno Member Posts: 2
    The security clicker/door opener on my 1991 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas has stopped working. I changed the battery, but that wasn't the problem. When I opened the clicker to change the battery a small strip of metal fell out and I couldn't figure out where it went. Dealers in the area say there is no replacing the clicker, that they are out of production and no new available.

Does anyone know where I can get one? Is there aftermarket support for Jaguar security anywhere? Does anyone know whether the clickers in the UK are the same as the US? This is a serious issue for mature Jaguar owners. My other clicker was in a purse stolen a few years ago. If I had only known then, I would have replaced it.

Other older Jag owners be forewarned.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    In checking out e bay this is what I found. Good Luck to you.

EARLY JAGUAR XJ, XJR, XJ6, XJS, XJ12 KEYLESS ENTRY*NEW*
    DBC11510 315MHz FCC ID:K85JTX315 **BRAND NEW w/TAGS** Item number: 8075625314

Search e bay for Item No. 8075625314. :)
  • erikmesaerikmesa Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering what specifically is covered by the Select Edition warranty on certified pre-owned Jaguars? Is this just an extension of the 4 yr 50k bumper to bumper? I noticed it said "limited" on the Jaguar website and was wondering what is covered and moreso what is NOT covered by the Select Edition warranty between 50,001 and 100,000 miles.

Thanks.
  • ghraiaghraia Member Posts: 11
    I recently requested that Jaguar refund purchase price of our 2006 XJ8L in accordance with the lemon laws. At 3000 miles, it started crackling and popping noises from the front suspension and has steadily gotten worse. It has been in the dealer's shop for over 60 days and they have made 4 unsuccessful attempts to repair it. The dealer gave us a new XJ8L just like ours to drive and at 2500 miles it started making similar noises. It appears that this may be a Jaguar design flaw, but have not seen any postings with similar problems. The car also has a lot of tire noise transmitted through the front suspension, much more than the 05 model we drove prior to purchase. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
    Can't reply to the suspension problems, but when we last road tested an 04 XJ8 we found it with no less road noise than our 1994 Town Car! :(
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    I just test drove a "used" 2006 XJ with 1500 miles. The smoothest, quietest car that I've driven; incuding Cad and BMW. Seriously thinking about buying, but have decided to wait a few weeks until the '07's appear, ought to drive down the prices for the remaining '06's.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    I've tried my best but haven't been able to find any info on th 2007 XJ. Does anyone have any specifics on the car, or is it going to be a 2006 re-make, with nothing new or interesting? I'm going to hold out until the new ones arrive, and then try to find somthing of interest in any 2006's remaining in dealer inventory.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Nah, fenn - your car won't be a Select Edition Certified Jaguar on anybody's lot - it's likely destined for the factory in Liverpool, or Coventry, whatever is still open, for an autopsy..... After that, it'll be used as a crash dummy. When Ford buys back a vehicle as a lemon, they use it for research. At worst case, it'll go, if it hasn't already, to the nearest Highline Auction and be sold to some secondary market dealer.....
  • sorgesorge Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 XJ 6 that I had purchased on e-bay 3 years ago. It hasn't run right since I purchased it. I have finally taken it to a local mechanic. He said that he thinks that my power steering is messed up because some crazy person put regular power steering fluid in it. I know that it should be hydrolic fluid. The mechanic says that he doesn't want to get into fixing it because he is affraid that if he replaces the pump and the other fluid in the system might ruin the new pump. Is there any other way to correct this problem without replacing the whole steering system?
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    When you say "Secondary Market Dealer" do you mean AKA Texas Cars Direct? A dealer by the way with a good reputation.
    I meant no one specific - and probably not a dealer with a good reputation. More likely, one with no reputation.
  • 10376721037672 Member Posts: 1
    you may get by with replacing the hoses, flush the reservoir, install a steering rack service kit, and a new pump seal kit. the kits are about $150.00. the hoses on the other hand are expense.
    Here is a follow-up to my original post regarding my buyback request. Jaguar wrote me a letter saying they would look into the matter and reply within 30 days. 30 days was July 27 and still no reply. My dealer, Hampton Jaguar, Columbia, SC, says they have not been contacted by Jaguar either and at this point cannot help me. So my car sits in their shop. It has now been out of service over 100 days of the 270 days I have owned it. Looks like I am going to have to hire an attorney.
    Time for a Lemon Law enaction, IMO. Too bad.... I'm surprised - the local Ford Dealer here just replaced a friends F-150 because they found doing a repair to the tail gate, that the truck had been hit. Seems Ford is usually pretty attentive to this - surprised Jag isn't.">link title
    I'm surprised at this also. Here's an idea. Tommmorow AM walk over to the USC Law School and casually ask around if any of the faculty have had bad luck with a Jag. I'll bet you could get a letter prompting action in the mail by noon.
    Another update:
    Got a fax from Jaguar saying they would give me a new car or, If I chose, would refund my money as prescribed in the Lemon Law. I chose to take the money since the loaner I had started making the same noises, and another person here seemed to be having the same problem. Funny that there do not seem to be similar problems with the 04 & 05 models. However, all the 06's I have driven have more road noise in general transmitted through the front suspension. Maybe they changed suppliers for some components in 06. Anyway, I am conflicted about the whole experience, since other than this problem, I really loved the car. I will say that other than being a little slow, Jaguar and the dealer have been really good to work with.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with Jaguar/Ford. It is good to know they are cooperating with you and the law. We will be interested in knowing the year make and model of your next automobile. :)
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Glad to hear your problem was resolved. Your original post indicated "popping noises." You also mentioned "more road noise in general" than the '05s. I don't doubt your experience but it seems odd since according to their press materials, Jaguar made some insulation changes to the '06s to make them quieter. Roadtests conducted by some of the auto mags even commented on the quieter nature of the '06s.

It seems strange that popping noises couldn't be found and corrected. As for more road noise in general, I am curious about tire selection. I have driven a couple of '04s and found them to be commendably quiet. I also drove an '06 and found it to be even quieter. All had Continental tires. I noticed a few of the '06s in dealer stock were equipped with Michelins but I didn't drive one.

Do you recall which brand of tire was on your '06? Were they the 18" standard wheels or the optional 19s?
    My car had michelins with 18" wheels. Yes, the car was very, very quite, but there seemed to be more noise than normal transmitted through the suspension to the cabin. Not loud but, to me, annoying. Maybe the overall quietness of the car made this more noticeable. Anyway, I had decided to ignore this before the other problem surfaced.
    Yes, you would think this would be an easily repaired problem. In fact, I mentioned it to the dealer at 3000 miles, but told them to wait until the 5000 mile (intrim) service to correct it for that reason.
    Looking at the Mercedes CLS550. May wait to see the new Lexus LS460. Or maybe back up a bit to the ES350.
  • foster1foster1 Member Posts: 17
    Suggest you consider the Audi A8 also. I own several Jaguars and looked at the XJ-R a year ago when I bought my 2005 Audi. The Jag was very nice, but not different enough from my 1995 XJ-R to seem like a really new car. (Also, I thought Jaguar interior quality had declined a bit.) My only two complaints about the A8 are poor rear vision and it's not quite as much fun to drive as the Jaguars.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    I get signficant vibration during moderate braking on my 04 XJR Brembo brakes. Not light braking. Not Heavy braking, just moderate brakes = the shakes.

To replace those front rotors is over a thousand dollars. I already replaced the pads when I first noticed this about about 20k miles. They say the rotors CANNOT be turned. Alloy on iron, slotted or something -

Since its based on KIND of braking, could it be an adjustment thing. It was my understanding that these rotors were designed to dissapate extreme heat and not warp. I am not super fast driver, either.
    THAT'S a good reason to faint - Rotors that expensive should never need replacement IMO.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    2022 X3 M40i
  • xjsguyxjsguy Member Posts: 8
    I went to the store about a month ago after being disgusted with having only my work vehicle for all my transportation.
    I'm a classic car guy and wasn't at all interested in the look alike stampings of the current cars.
    As I pulled into the parking lot at the store, I saw this convertible that absolutely blew me away.
    I parked next to it and walked around it to take a close look.
    As I was walking around this magnificent automobile, it winked a headlight at me and said, "Hello, my name is XJS and I was born in 1995.
    Would you like me to introduce you to my cousin?"
    As I wiped the drool from my chin and the tears from my eyes, I replied, "Oh yes, please".
    I was given the names of various sites where I might find this "cousin".
    Well, to make a short story long, I happened to find this XJS's cousin in Texas.
    The cousin was born in 1993.
    I had to stop typing for a few minutes to allow my hands to cease shaking.
    I then did some investigating about Cuz and found that he had been in a loving relationship with a woman who was absolutely in love with him.
    In fact, I understand that she waqs in tears when they parted.
    Well, I contacted Cuz's caretaker and, after some intense and in depth investigatvie back & forth, I asked Cuz if he'd like to share his time with another older jock.
    He said sure.
    So, I sent the dealer/caretaker the adoption fee and had Cuz shiped up here to Wisconsin.
    When he arrived, I found he was in even better health than the fostercare facility had claimed.

Cuz is a 1993 Morrocan red XJS convertible whose age is only 67,00. He has a 4.0 heart and, the adoption fee was $10.9K.
    Cuz likes baseball and we took a ride to Mpls last weekend to se the Sox & Twinkies.
    As we were so smoothly cruising along the freeway, I looked down to see if he was napping as, I couldn't hear or feel anything.
    He said he enjoyed this jogging at about 95mph & said he'd like to stretch his legs.
    Welllllll, he did. ;)
    I'll post his pics when the sun comes out.
    During the workday, I drive a Ford Ranger just so my ego doesn't get too big to manage. :D
    Now, I'm an older jock who looks way younger than I am however, this guy looks like a young athlete in top shape. :shades:
    I'm sure we'll have a long & happy life together.
    And, since I'm a tool guy, he promised to not give me much trouble.
    We are BOTH glad to be here. :)
  • melahnmelahn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 XJ6 purchased a few years ago (thanks Bill!). I had replaced the stereo with a refurbished factory stereo. This worked fine for a few years, but recently had problems with it. The stereo would "lock up" and not let me adjust volume, change stations, or even turn it off. This would last for a few minutes at a time to all day, and eventually it just stayed that way. My husband tried to "reboot" the system by disconnecting the car battery, but now it just won't come on at all.

So, here's where I'm at now. I need to replace this stereo, but I have not had any luck finding an installation/mounting kit for an aftermarket stereo. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Am I stuck with finding another refurbished factory stereo? There has to be some other alternative!

Thanks for any advice...
    I'm sure one of the electronic houses can install a new radio that will work nicely, with some adjustments to the hole to make it work. May not look factory, but it will be effective. Frys, Circuit City, Best Buy, Ultimate. All of them do this sort of thing as do a host of independents here.
  • melahnmelahn Member Posts: 2
    I have ben to Best Buy, and searched the internet (Crutchfield, etc.). No one seems to make a mounting kit or bracket. Does Jaguar sell stereos and/or mounting kits that I can buy and have installed? I would rather have a nicer, factory system (Harmon-Kardon, maybe?)
    But it is looking like I don't have very many choices available to me.
  • iwantanxjiwantanxj Member Posts: 2
    I am intersted in purchasing a 1997 xj6L, it has 93,000 miles on it, any and every piece of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Drive it for two hours before buying it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Haha - great post! Looking forward to the pics. :)
    I've seen a lot of people who treat their pets like children, but this is a First where the Leeper is humanized. :(
    Strangely, I relate to this personification of the XJS....
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Strangely, I relate to this personification of the XJS....

ditto.
    When will there be a better time to buy that Vanden Plas?

The reliability is terrific. Even JD Powers thinks so.

The vehicle is still a gorgeous classic. The prices will NEVER be lower.

Almost all of the latest technological and luxury necessities are available.

There's plenty of brisk power with amazing fuel efficiency of 18 city / 28 highway mpg.

The latest all-aluminum generation has tons more interior headroom than the old low-roofline models, and that annoying parking brake handle is essentially gone and replaced with an electronic brake and chrome button.

Available multi-media package has the color monitors built right into the headrests. No goofy flipdown screen to mess with. There's Bluetooth and Satellite, pretty much everything you need, including navigation with voice-command.

You can steal this vehicle at this time in history. It won't last much longer. Best bet is 2005 or 2006, new or slightly used, at a very reduced price.

For those that visit this forum, I just thought I'd let you know before it is all too late. Think about it . . . if the Vanden Plas means something to you, when will the time EVER be better than now?

TagMan
    I want one ... (drool) :blush:
    I want one ...

To park next to that Quattroporte we love so dearly. :D

TagMan
    yes, yes ... :blush:
    Awesome, thanks Tagman. You have me convinced. I am fully aware of what they can be had for, I see them go through the auction here regularly for a song..... I guess I'll start looking for just the perfect one for me..... :blush:
    Awesome, thanks Tagman. I guess I'll start looking for just the perfect one for me.

You are most welcome! Good luck. No need to settle for less than you want. You can likely get it with almost EVERYTHING you have in mind.

Keep me posted.

TagMan
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Really gorgeous, T-man! So what is the real world pricing for a slightly used 2005 (vs. a new one)? Why would there be any out there to buy? Were there any 24 month lease deals at rollout in 2004?
    Really gorgeous, T-man! So what is the real world pricing for a slightly used 2005 (vs. a new one)? Why would there be any out there to buy?

hey garyh1 - This circumstance with Jaguar is something that needs serious marketing geniuses to figure out. There have been lots of posts and opinions, but it seems that as terrific as the reliability has become with regards to the modern generation of Jaguars, the older reputation still lingers.

This situation is good for the buyer.

Resale will actually get better, IMO, because the initial deals are so good, and the availability of these current great Vanden Plas models is likely going to shrink, due to production limitations and upcoming marketing changes and model changes.

Real world pricing for an '05 can be as low as upper 40's to more realistic 50's and even low 60's for an '06 depending upon the mileage, equipment level, condition and location. A brand new one will obviously command more, and again there are different equipment levels.

You can get one for so much less than the original MSRP, which is ridiculously reasonable anyway for a car of this caliber.

Further, by buying at such low prices, much of the depreciation is already gone, and your monetary position in the car becomes quite favorable.

The situation as it is . . . and I know of no other similar opportunity like this . . . clearly works for the buyer here.

TagMan
    It's my impression the 04 to 06 Leepers are priced the lowest in Florida and Texas while the Left Coast states are significantly much higher.
    It's my impression the 04 to 06 Leepers are priced the lowest in Florida and Texas while the Left Coast states are significantly much higher.

Not unique to Jags, IMO, it's been my impression over the years that most vehicles in general command better resale in California.

The negative environmental impact on the vehicles is typically significantly less in California . . . mild weather, few salty roads, minimum rain, less humidity, cars stay waxed and clean much longer, etc.

TagMan
    Tagman, if Warren Buffet were a car nut, he would be hot for an XJ right now. This is a pure Graham and Dodge value play. There is no downside risk because the market has already discounted the price. Moreover a buyer isn't going to be caught in the classical "value trap" of buying something that the market unreasonably discounts and then have it languish. There are catalysts out there that should unlock the value and drive Jag prices up.

Does anyone have confirmation (I saw it on another site tonight) that all XJ '05 and '06 sales have been suspended because of fuel tank leakage issues? (Seriously.) Man, this is going to drive the price of used '05's even lower and make them even more of a buy! Please don't get between me and any '05 Black/Sand XJ for under 41K.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    As Land Rover and Jaguars intranets are linked I can normaly log into the jaguar side of the site. I will poke around for you and see what I can find out.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Thanks for the pricing info, Tagman.

The problem I have is that if you buy a 1 or 2 year old car, are you likely to be buying someone else's lemon? Unless there were 2 year leases available, you are either buying from someone who just likes a new car every year (best case) or from someone who quickly had a reversal of fortune (not as good since they may not have been able to afford maintaining the car) or from someone who hit the wall in trips back to the dealer for service (worst case).

Getting a lemon of a Jag sounds like a nightmare, even if the "average" car has improved in reliability.
    The problem I have is that if you buy a 1 or 2 year old car, are you likely to be buying someone else's lemon?

If it were a Lexus with it's great reliability ratings, and it were 1 to 2 years used, you wouldn't say that.

But, when it's a Jag, which has terrific reliability ratings and J.D. Powers ratings in their corner as well, you seem to call it a lemon. This is the perceptual stigma that haunts Jaguar, and is one of the reasons for its current value.

TagMan
  • dsingledsingle Member Posts: 2
    Help!! I have a 1998 XJ8 Jaguar, and all of a sudden the Transmission fault light came on, I took it to the Jaguar Dealer and they said that I have to get a new or rebuild transmission at the cost of $5700.00, I asked if it could be the modulator and they said NO!! are the trying to get over on me? or is that a common problem, replacing the Transmission? the car has just passed 100,000 miles!! and the warranty just ran out, what am I to do, HELP!!
    Get another opinion from a private "European cars" mechanic. Since you out of warranty, you might be better off with a private mechanic anyway.

TagMan