Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• softtowersofttower Member Posts: 10
    Don't trust that web-site too much. Most of it's readers and writers don't sound hm... sometimes educated enough, maybe even intelligent enough to produce any valuable oppinions about cars.

Look at all their cheap-looking plastic body kits, trashcan-sized exhausts and then say to yourself: "and these people are saying that Prelude's tranny is defective..." ;-)

Seriously, do you think Honda wouldn't immediately remove these 'defective' transmissions from production? Yea! those money-hungry japanese bastards just kept a secret and continued to manufacture defective trasmission for 3 years!
    I own a 98 Prelude and I am not going to sell it anytime soon. But despite it's disappearance next year, how would you guys predict it's affect on the car's resale value?

I've talked to my service advisor recently. He wasn't going to sell me a car or something, it was just a relaxed chat. He said that from his experience, after some car disappears from the new car showrooms, the resale value for the last model slightly increases. He said that our 5th gen. Preludes (97-2001) will gain a little bit more value soon.

How would anyone comment that? Prelude is my second car so I don't have any personal experience with the resale values.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I know there are still some 2001s on the lots in this area and the sticker has jumped a bit. One dealer is asking $28k for a Type SH citing demand. Until I drove the RSX-S I wasn't sure, but to my knowledge the Prelude continues to sit largely in a class of its own even with the RSX=S running around, so I'm expecting a slightly higher resale value as well.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I recently test drove a Prelude and loved the shifter and handling. But I did not buy because of the tiny back seat and trunk. Does anyone agree with me that this would be a wonderful car if it was a hatchback (and allowed more use of space)? I would buy it in a second..
  • asethiasethi Member Posts: 76
    I strongly disagree, hondaprelude.com is the best prelude site on the net!!! You won't find any place else where you'd get that kind of information, no other place!!! Every other day I find some usefull info from the site and that's how I've kept my 98 Prelude running like new at 80000 miles.

Here's some statistics about hondaprelude.com:

Total Registered Members: 16,773

Total Setup Pages: 1,877

Total Number of messages posted to the Discussion Board:(Only dates back to February 2000) 215,176

Yes, not all 16,773 members can have the same skills/knowledge about cars - they're basically just car owners trying to help each other. The moderators are knowledgeable enough to help if no one else can.

>"Look at all their cheap-looking plastic body >kits, trashcan-sized exhausts and then say to >yourself: "and these people are saying that >Prelude's tranny is defective..." ;-)"

You're obviously used to judging a book by it's cover! So, you think if someone has cheap-looking plastic body kits and trashcan-sized exhausts then they don't have the right to complain if their tranny goes bad!! Honda is not God, just an auto maker and, yes, they've screwed up many times and still do.

">Seriously, do you think Honda wouldn't >immediately remove these 'defective' >transmissions from production? "

It costs MONEY to replace all those defective transmissions and that is the reason Honda has refused to accept this problem. Since in most cases this problem does not appear while the car is under warranty, honda has a good chance of getting away with it. They may have (and I believe they did) fixed the problem once they found out but that still leaves many cars (97/98 models) on the road with this problem.
  • jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    My brother has a 97 Prelude with the SS. His transmission failed on him one day out of the blue. The car had about 35,000 miles on it. He said that he was driving and he noticed that when the transmission shifted into second gear, that the RPMs shot up, but the car was not accelerating (like the clutch was slipping). He thought nothing of it, and about 5 miles later down the road, the car would not move at all. He wasn't even using the SS, mind you. Just cruising in automatic mode.

He ended up having to get a whole new tranny for the car. He had bought the car used from Carsense, and it had a 3 month/3,000 mile warranty that covered it (whew!). I think he said the total cost was around $2,500.

Just something to think about.

HTH,
    -Josh
    I strongly disagree, hondaprelude.com is the best prelude site on the net!!! You won't find any place else where you'd get that kind of information, no other place!!! Every other day I find some usefull info from the site and that's how I've kept my 98 Prelude running like new at 80000 miles.

Here's some statistics about hondaprelude.com:

Total Registered Members: 16,773

Total Setup Pages: 1,877

Total Number of messages posted to the Discussion Board:(Only dates back to February 2000) 215,176

Yes, not all 16,773 members can have the same skills/knowledge about cars - they're basically just car owners trying to help each other. The moderators are knowledgeable enough to help if no one else can.

>"Look at all their cheap-looking plastic body >kits, trashcan-sized exhausts and then say to >yourself: "and these people are saying that >Prelude's tranny is defective..." ;-)"

You're obviously used to judging a book by it's cover! So, you think if someone has cheap-looking plastic body kits and trashcan-sized exhausts then they don't have the right to complain if their tranny goes bad!! Honda is not God, just an auto maker and, yes, they've screwed up many times and still do.

">Seriously, do you think Honda wouldn't >immediately remove these 'defective' >transmissions from production? "

It costs MONEY to replace all those defective transmissions and that is the reason Honda has refused to accept this problem. Since in most cases this problem does not appear while the car is under warranty, honda has a good chance of getting away with it. They may have (and I believe they did) fixed the problem once they found out but that still leaves many cars (97/98 models) on the road with this problem.
  • apexskrapexskr Member Posts: 11
    The more I read about the SS problems, the more I hear that same story. Cruising in gear, goes to shift, RPMs shoot up, and then it shifts. Sounds like this is pretty common. The tranny seems to only last between 30K miles and 40K miles.

My fiancee's brother wants to unload his lude before this happens to him. Anyone wanna by a 98 lude sportshift? It's black w/ only 30K miles? LOL He wants another Lude - this time a manual. Damn fine car other than the potential tranny issues.

Try going over to hondaprelude.com and post a message to gerhard explaining. I think he's still trying to rally enough support to get honda's attention. He's already written some letters to some legal dept in New Jersey.
  • jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    A Honda transmission that only lasts 30K-40K miles? That's very un-Honda like. I wonder why they haven't stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility? My guess is $$$ reasons, but they should be standing behind their product.

-Josh
    Yeah, I guess so. I've heard of anywhere between $2500 to $5000 to fix the problem! Granted, that's retail, but I can imagine why Honda would want to sweep this under the rug!
    The problem was fixed for model year 2000 (or 2001 - forget which year) Preludes. If there wasn't a problem to begin with, why would it need to be fixed?
    Granted, many posts on hondaprelude.com, or any forum for that matter, are rants. But, the majority of posts I've read are helpful and offer insight. The people are often courteous and try to help to the best of their ability. I tend to agree w/ asethi that hondaprelude.com is a pretty reputable site.

I'd rather an automotive idiot savant work on my car than a Harvard professor w/ a doctorate in automotive theory.

SoftTower, don't mean to gang up on you. Just wanted to post my views and experiences with hondaprelude.com.
    If it helps, my brother has a 25th Anniversary Trans Am. Even with unconfirmed rumors of the T/A demise the value of his car went up. When the announcement was confirmed, it went up a little more. Can't remember the exact %, but he was able to quote a source. I'll ask to see if he rememembers. The source even stated the regular T/As saw a boost in resale, though not as much as any of the anniversary models. (They are limited production, where as the regs are limited by the # the general is able to sell)

I imagine the prelude will always command a place in enthusiasts hearts. Honda really doesn't produce that many of them, though they are not limited in any way. Heck, all gen preludes have there following, so even if it hadn't stopped w/ the 5th gen, I don't think resale would be that hard or that low.
  • xk2xbladerxxk2xbladerx Member Posts: 10
    Does it have a black int too? Any mods or anything thats not stock? And of course...how much? Thanx.
  • confused07confused07 Member Posts: 5
    I fell in love with the prelude that I saw the other day, we test drove it and everything. The thing is, my dad is concerned about the reliability of it. HEre's the scenario...IT's a 97, with only 50000KM's on it, or 35000 miles. It's been accidented, the front bumper got a little screwed up, he showed us pics of it. He had to replace the bumber, and he added a WingsWest bodykit all around. Now the thing my dad is concerned about, is of all the mods he did to the car. He added headers, cold air intake, and some other thingz as well, including something that tricks the engine and lets it give out more power at an earlier time, forgot what that was. Anywayz, when he took us fro the drive, he was driving the car ahrd, like he changed gears everytime he came like mm away from the redline. Don;t get me wrong, it was fun to be in, but my dad is concerned about if the car will end up getting messed up. Is he right ? ? Could anything happen to the car. He's giving me a deal on it, for 20 Grand canadian, or 13 GRAND US.
    Very risky. The Prelude is tough, it'll take a beating, but likewise you don't want to inherit someone else's problems. If he's done intake/headers/VAFC (likely - a controller that allows for an adjustable VTEC initiation point), the WW kit, etc., then it's likely that the car has been beaten on and HARD. I think your dad has a very good point.

Go to hondaprelude.com and ask there. That place has hundreds of people with CAI/headers/body kit/etc who've beaten up their cars. They'll know exactly what you can expect.
    Go away from this car, dude. Look: if that person modded his car so hard, most likely he really enjoyed to push that car to it's limits.

Don't get me wrong, Honda builds exceptionally reliable engines and you really can rev yours hard and it will last for years, but a car which was been driven hard will more likely have some problems down the road that the one which has been babied.

Keep looking. I got really lucky with my Prelude: I bought it from a 24-year old educated women (electrical engineer). She was pregnant, then got the baby and a Volvo wagon. ;-)

The car was 2 years old with only 17.5K miles. I had tested the brand-new prelude just a day before I tried hers. Didn't feel any difference. I's mine for more than a year now and it still feels like new (I take a new Preludes for a test-drive sometimes when I wait for an oil-change).
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    yeah stay away from this car. If he is into modifications, you bet he pushed the car to the limit (I have friends who does the same thing, racing down at the track, at the street..etc.) Hondas are usually reliable, but pushing it hard all of the time with performance mods put a huge risk on reliability.
    It's a 98 Lude SS w/ 31K miles or so. It's got black interior to match the black exterior. The car is unmolested. No mods, except for red/silver peddles and wood (nice looking) shifter. The previous owner added a "Type SH" sticker on the back for kicks. The only things added are cosmetic. Also, there's a CD changer in the trunk. Dunno whether that is OEM or not. We're in the San Francisco Bay Area (Penninsula). If you want more info, email me at trentchristopher@hotmail.com.

KBB puts the private party value of a 1998 Prelude at $18,765.
    He's asking $16,000 (US)
  • edblakeleyedblakeley Member Posts: 6
    20 thousand Canadian isn't such a great deal. I bought my black '98 for 21,000, with 55,000k, and there was no modification crap anywhere. I made sure that not even the H emblems were aftermarket. In my opinion, if it looks like an enthusiast has owned it, it has been abused. Stay away.
  • cyber_xcyber_x Member Posts: 37
    ...as everyone else has said, I'd recommend looking elsewhere, but not because of the mods you mentioned. An intake and exhaust aren't much to worry about - nearly everyone's got those. Intake, exhaust, and headers are usually the first modifications people make, and they do little to affect reliability. The thing you mentioned that causes the engine to produce more power earlier could just be something like an aftermarket ECU, which is pretty common. Usually an aftermarket ECU allows the car to take full advantage of the mods made, or remove some sort of rev or max speed limiter. A lot of folks who mod their cars have aftermarket ECUs, and they don't cause problems as long as they are programmed correctly. With a popular platform like a Prelude, the programming should be pretty standard and therefore dependable.

Anyway, don't automatically think the car's going to die on you just because it's modded. Those mods are very basic. I'd only start to worry if more important parts of the car were modified - i.e. the engine. Turbochargers, superchargers, bored throttle bodies, heads, cams, etc., are stuff I would be concerned about, because they are more closely integrated with the engine.

What I would be concerned about with that particular car, however, is how the driver has driven it. If he was redlining it all the time, then the engine has probably taken a fair amount of wear and tear. Hondas can take that kind of high rpm driving better than a lot of other cars, but of course there's still a limit. If he was really driving it hard, then staying away is probably a good idea. Then again, if his price happens to be a lot lower than other prices you've seen (I have no clue what Preludes are going for these days), you might always be able to replace the engine down the line using the money you saved. You can probably find a comparable price for a relatively unmodded one though, if that's what you want.
  • ruletheworldruletheworld Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying a new Prelude - first new car since a 90 CRXsi-still running. CRX is a little but of a kids car and it is starting to show its age -284000km to date- and only the tranny is giving me problems.
    Like the styling of the Prelude - dash could be better though - decent engine and the handling is solid - even though tires could be better.
    Question I have is how does it compare to the fourth gen - specifically a 94 Vtec-with 100k miles - I actually like the looks of them both with the strange dash of the 4th gen actually prevailing.
    Priced the new one - best I could get for non SH (not available in Canada for 2001) is CAN$32000-about US$21000.(drive away price-5spd) Checked out a 94 Vtec (130000km) asking CAN$14000 - about US$9500- also 5 spd stock with newish tires and brakes recently done.
    The 94 looks in good shape, haven't driven it yet would take it to a mechanic before I buy.
    Anyone know of any strange ailments for the 4th gen?
    I also wonder if an older car is worthwhile, and if I am going to look at an older car, why not look at a RWD - i.e. MR2 or 300ZX - both running within a few grand of the price of the 94 Vtec and a little more of a 'true' sports car due to the drive configuration.
    Biggest difficulty/problem I have with used is I won't know its history all that well.
    As an aside - anyone know if Honda will bring our a cheaper RWD - perhaps a Prelude replacement?
    Thanks
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Hey, Gang! I just bought a 2001 base 5spd Prelude in Satin Silver (it will arrive at the dealer's lot mid-Sept--got it for $300 over invoice) after much hand-wringing over the RSX-S and WRX wagon. My '98 GS-R still runs great with 211,000 on the ticker, but I was getting tired of the busy highway ride, so I decided to snag a 'Lude before they went extinct. Terrific car, but I'll miss the usefulness of the 'Teg's hatch (but not the noise).

A question for anyone with an opinion: The bodyside moulding from the Accord coupe will fit on the 'Lude with only minor trimming required (the door on the Accord is a little longer), and the color is already matched. I'm considering having the dealer install the moulding for ~$150, but am wondering if you owners out there think it is a good idea to try to ward off door dings, or if it will look goofy on the car. It would be mounted about an inch below the door handle-area to offer max protection from other cars.

The only reason I'm considering the moulding is because I live in an apartment complex populated by morons who will just slam their doors into others'. So what would be worse, putting the moulding on the car, or getting the doors rippled and dimpled?

Thanks.
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    I wouldn't bother with door molding because the jerks that will ding your doors also drive trucks. The trucks tend to hit high and cause some significant damage. All you have to do is look at Honda Accords in parking lots or my wife's 98 Accord EX. The best you can do is do your best to avoid people's cars (hard to do) and when the dent count gets high get a dent doctor type place to remove your dents. I have a 98 Prelude SH and have been lucky so far.
  • ashenashen Member Posts: 3
    I have to agree about the door moldings. I've got a Civic, and there's not a single ding on it more that an inch or two under the window line. There's even one on top of the front fender. Still haven't figured out how someone's door hit that while parked beside me. Anyway, there's too many idiots with SUV's out there to really avoid dings.
  • eggparmeggparm Member Posts: 14
    I own both 95 VTEC and 01 SH and I would recommend that you go with the 5th gen. The 4th gen VTEC is faster and sexier but the 5th gen handles more fabulously especially the SH. The 4th gen has more pronounced torque steer and the car is more susceptible to the road crowns. If you decide to buy a 4th gen make sure the car feels solid and the engine runs quietly and smoothly. Don't accept any roughness just because you think it's a used car. A well maintained Prelude with 60k miles should drive just as good as a new one. Sunroof rattling and rear shocks squeaking are probably the most common problems found in the 4th gen but they can be fixed (Honda has service bulletin articles for them). Forget about the MR2 or the Z car. The turbo wouldn't give you the fun that a VTEC Prelude has to offer. Good luck!
    The only way to avoid getting dings on your car is to park away from the jerks and the empty shopping carts at the supermarket. Goofy look is definitely a no no. A big bulky door moulding on your Prelude doesn't look any better than a small ding anyway.
    They're the same thin, color-matched pieces that you sometimes see on the current-gen Accord and Civic coupe models.
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    Last weekend, I took my 99 Prelude to the track and did a 0-60 and 1/4 mile run. The best I got is : 6.7 and 14.9@93.7 - I got 6.7 and 15.1@93.1 last year. my car is stock, 5spd base. It seems to me that it now have more power (I think I can feel it even during daily driving - maybe I am just imagine...)

But, anyway, does anyone else feel the same - the car get more power and runs stronger after 30-40K miles?

BTW, I have been driving stick for 7 years, so it should NOT be my skill improvement and I am using the same oil and gas.
    It can be because of a change in temperature/humidity/etc. or maybe you recently got a major (like 33K miles) service done which includes a valve adjustment that alone could make the difference. Could be many other things as well, but it's a good thing it's getting better and not worst.Happy Luding! :-)PS: My 98 with 83k miles (!) on it still runs like new.
    14.9 is very good with a prelude. From what I heard from other people who own Hondas, they get faster after 20k miles or so. A good example of that would be the Civic Si.
    Yeah, it is good for stock Prelude.

I still remember more than one year ago, I was dreaming about this time and practice a lot trying to get into high 14s and the best I got is 15.1@93.1. After that, I stopped trying. BUt, now I got 14.9. It really suprised me myself.

That might be another reason I would hang with my Lude longer - maybe just to see how faster it will be in the future.
    Does anyone know if the stock CD player will play CD-R's? I'm considering getting a burner.
    Yes. So does the stock CD changer, for both the original (97-98) and slightly updated (99+?) headunit. Mine also reads CD-RWs without problems but I've heard mixed things; I think it depends on the disc and burner at least in part.
    Yep, most of the cd players will play burnt wav file type cds. If you are talking about playing mp3s, you will need a mp3 player.
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    I keep reading that Honda is going to kill the Prelude. Is 2001 or 2002 the last year for this under-appreciated vehicle?
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    I've been looking at new cars and just got the bug the check out the Prelude - a few questions please?
    1. Is it reasonably quiet at highway speeds, even on rough pavement? I ask because my Integra is so noisy on rough concrete that the stereo is just about useless. Nice car otherwise.
    2. Is the SH any advantage over base at less than racing speeds? I drive "spirited" but not like a maniac, and I don't auto-x.
    3. Is the SH any better in the snow?
    4. Are there rood rack systems for the car? My wife and I ski quite a bit.
    5. Is there any reason to pay more than invoice at this point for a 2001?
    Many thanks for any answers!
  • mikekabrisky1mikekabrisky1 Member Posts: 28
    I've been hearing from a friend that since the demand for preludes have been lacking because of competition from other manufacturers and the discontinuation of preludes, that one could get the 2001 model for either at invoice or a little above it. Thanks.
    1. Yes, the Prelude is quieter than the Integra GS-R and both the new RSX and RSX-S at highway speeds, even the engine runs 3,200 RPM at 60MPH in 5th gear. Less road noise wind noise as well. However, the suspension of the Prelude is still pretty stiff though...
    2. You don't have to autocross to appreciate the ATTS (Type SH). Once you experience the beauty of it you don't wanna drive without it. You can turn in as fast as you can at corners and come out with a big o smile on your face. Even the base model handles very very well already, you'll experience much less understeer with SH. Trust me!
    3. ATTS has nothing to do with snow or wheel spins. It is not a traction control system. You don't get any advantage on the snow with it. It ONLY increases the cornering performance.
    4. No idea about the roof system. Ask the dealer.
    5. IMO, it's still worth it to pay $300 over invoice for a base model and $500 (or higher) over invoice for a SH.
  • mono1mono1 Member Posts: 7
    First, I have '97 Prelude (sportshift) 72K.

I live in Chicago, IL and we do get decent snow storms at times. My commute is 35 miles highway/residential each way.

About 25,000 miles ago I replaced my OEM tires with Pirelli 7000 Supersport. It is supposed to be an all-season tire. Well, it is an excellent tire on dry and wet pavement, but horrible in the snow. I can't believe how horrible these tires are in the snow compared to the OEM tires. The performed better than the OEM tires on dry/wet pavement though. I seriously believe it is their aggressive directional tread design.

Not only did these disappoint me in the snow, but they are practically worn down to the tread indicators after only 25K. The wear is even and the wheels are balanced. Alignment is good to as I have had this checked about 7K miles ago.

Can anyone suggest a true all-season performance that handles well in all conditions? I'd really be willing to give up a little dry performance for improved snow/slush performance, but I do not want to buy winter tires.

Thanks in advance. Winter is just around the corner here in Chicago.
  • juanjuanjuanjuan Member Posts: 5
    Hi everybody!
    I have a '01 5 speed base Prelude with 4800 miles.
    Here's my problem, hoping somebody can help me here:
    Thursday(Oct 4) after work I turned it on and the car started shaking vigorously while the engine was idle and the Emmsision Control System failure light started blinking(orange "Check" light). I checked the manual and it stated that if I had recently fueled the car, the problem might be a missing or loose fuel cap. I tightened the fuel cap and drove the car slowly to my apartment. After about 10 minutes driving, the car seemed to accelerate by itself really suddenly and the shaking went away, now the car was running normal and the light was on permanently(not blinking). The light stayed on for a couple more drives and it finally went off. The car has been running normally ever since Thursday, just the "check" light on. Now the thing is, this is my only car at the moment and I work and go to school full time, so I really can't afford to leave it at the dealership for a day. I just want to know if this is a serious problem or if it was just that I left the fuel cap loose and thats why the fault happened.
    Can anybody help me with the limited info that I've given? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    It is normal, Juan! Don't worry about it unless you find anything else is wrong. If you left the gas cap loose to trip the light, it will stay on, even you tighten the cap, for a few start.

Just make sure next time, click the cap 3 clicks.
  • akuma007akuma007 Member Posts: 6
    Look like you need to have the O2 senson replaced, either the normal or the heated one. the dealer should do it under warranty.
    mono1 - sorry man, but there's no such thing as an all season performance tire. You may hear the phrase but it's just marketing. You really need seperate sets of tires for winter and summer if it snows where you live, or even if the temperatures go really low.

Juan - if the light went away, don't worry about it if the car runs fine. If the light is still there you can try to figure out what it's complaing about - go to hondaprelude.com or any other honda site and you'll find instructions for reading error codes. Email me if you still don't get it.
    I'll be installing a powered sub this week. My plan is to cut into the rear speaker signal, but I'm wondering about the AFS. Do I need to tap the rear speakers before the signal hits the AFS unit, or can I just go ahead and cut in anywhere? Does anyone here think the sub's output might goof-up the mics in the AFS?
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    Could someone do me a favor and post the invoice price of Prelude SE in Canada (MSRP 28300).
    I would go for following options:
    1. fog lights (MSRP 600)
    2. spoiler (MSRP 600)
    Have no idea about invoice cost for Prelude SE, but hey, why don't you just visit the dealer to find it out and you can do a test drive there?

Anyway, what is a SE? is that an SH or SS in US?
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    I bet you call up the telephone poll lines to say you are not sure...just kidding.
    SE is leather equipped base prelude. There is no SH in Canada and dealers don't normally tell you the invoice price here.
  • jackieboyjackieboy Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I recently sold my previous car (Mitsubishi Diamante) and now I'm looking for another one.
    I just saw the 1992 Prelude Si 5-speed on www.autotrader.com. My question: What is the weak point of that car? What should I look at while test drive the car or when looking under the car or hood??? Please let me know. Any helpful data will be greatly appreciated.

Jack
    Streamwood, IL
    jackper22@yahoo.com
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    jackieboy - You might find hondaprelude.com helpful if you ask your question there.
  • mono1mono1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a '97 Prelude, automatic with 73,000 miles.

My car makes this creaking/crunching noise ONLY WHEN WARMED UP and coming to a complete stop, like the last 5-10 mph of the stop. The car also makes the noise when starting from a complete stop.

Very strange. At first I thought maybe I needed new struts, but that fact that this noise only comes out when the car is warmed up to normal operating temp. is weird. Plus I don't hear the noise over bumps.

Could it be the CV joints?

Maybe it is the exhaust rubbing on something only when the exhaust expands under normal operating temp.

Any ideas?

I know it is not the brakes because I just had new rotors and pads put on this past Friday. The noise was there before the new brakes and again today.