Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    In my 1995, sometimes when shfiting from reverse, when I get out of my driveway, into drive, the car does a big jerk. It only does it sometimes, so I dont know what it is.~A.R.
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Transmissions are not to be "fiddled" with.

My advice is that I would get it to a top flight transmission shop ASAP. Ask around and find out the expierence with trans. shops in your area. Of course, your JAG dealer could be a place to start as well.
    In any case, don't put it off. Every mile could be costly in terms of $'s. This true of any car. I had a similar experience with an American car - Lincoln - so a word to the wise and it WAS costly.

Let's hear the verdict and the prescription after the "trans. docs" looks at it.
    Good luck !

christchurch
    A friend is considering a 1995 JAG with 85k miles.
    (1)Does anyone have any advice or experience on this year JAG and
    (2) what is your opinion on this mileage.
    Good buy ?
    Alternative ?
    (3) What is your warranty suggestion ... company,etc. ?

christchurch
    I understand that the new XJ series is in the pipeline and scheduled for introduction in the 1992 model year.
    I have heard that it will resemble the current car in front end but carry the new S.-type (and x.-type) rear.
    It is rumored that it will be equipt with the latest in "electronic wizardry", incorporating "the newest of the new". They will be "leaping" ahead in "techno. toys"!
    Ford is setting the JAG to be their Mercedes / BMW fighter for the sophisticated high tech Euro / American luxo market.
    Exciting !
    Anyone have any "skuttlebut"?
    christchurch
    A friend of mine has found what he says is a "good deal" on a XJ12. He sought my advice as a JAG enthusiast.
    Having no expierence with the 12 I thought I would ask you.
    What do you know ?
    I have heard that the gas mileage is atrocious.
    Further, one mechanic told me that the XJ6 or XJ8's are better from a practice standpoint.

Any suggestions to my "potential 12 cylinder" man?
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    But an XJR instead.

I believe that the X-type offers the closest thing to a preview of the next generation XJ body.
    I agree that the X. type is may "foreshadow" the new XJ series.
    Only thing I worry about is that we get too much plastic and molded stuff.
    Some of these "new wood" applicques look like cheap plastic imitations.
    There needs to be cars which have a classic look, touch and feel yet still technologically sophisticated. I hope Jaguar follows this "sute" and it would "sute" me just fine !(Hope you enjoyed this play on words. I guess this is what you get at 1:15 AM?)

How about some comments on styling you would like to see in the new XJ's
    Let's share some advice we might pass along to the "powers that be" in Bourne Lane?
    christchurch
    christchurch- thank you for saying that about the wood. I was getting blasted for even mentioning that the wood in the X-Type looks more like PLOOD than WOOD. I hate that dark stuff. Jaguar had it in the XJR when it first came out, and then they took it away after 2 years because it looked like black plastic with a fake grain.

The wood in the XJ's is only duplicated by Rolls, and they have an advantage because of the shear amount of it!

As for styling- I think the X-Type does show the direction the new XJ will take. I think the current XJ is the best looking car in the super-luxury class, and don't know how they are going to make the new look better. Maybe just smooth some of the curves. The one must is the dual chrome tailpipes. That in my eyes is a Jaguar hallmark. One of my favourite sites is on a rainy morning seeing an XJ pull away from me, exhaust streaming out of the pipes. I guess it's something only a Jag enthusiast would understand~ A.R.
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    I had my 98 Vanden Plas in for some service at
    Momemtum Jaguar today. I was talking to the mechanic and asked about the XJ12. He started to laugh and finally out loud. He told me not only walk away but run away from the xj12. he said these cars are a money pit with so many problems.
    He told me the best Jag for the money to buy was the XJ6 because Jaguar had perfected the engine until there were almost no problems. I still love my Vanden Plas.
    Sounds as though you have found an honest mechanic that thinks of the customer before his own wallet. If that were not the case I suspect he would have suggested that you buy 2 or more XJ12's.
    Thank him for my friend who sought my advice on what he claimed was a "good deal" on an XJ12. Maybe the price reflected a previous owners desire to "get out while the getting was good".
    One further note, I agree with you on the value and reliability of the XJ6 engine. I do further, believe, that the XJ8 given enough time will prove likewise.
    As a point of interest we can share with the "chaps" on line, what, if any, service problems are you encountering?
    Thanks,
    christchurch
    Good to have you back on line after having missed your salient comments for a few days.

I am glad that you, too, agree about the importance of "wood, wood and more wood". As far as I am concerned, they can have a huge bonfire and through all that cheap vynal into it. It would be an environmentalits nightmare, but it would bring joy to all who long for the return of the days of the "smell of Connely leathers" and the visual beauty of accented wood.
    Let's keep encouraging Bourne Lane toward what was begun with the S. series, a "retrospective" design look which should include "classic interiors".

I concur that you are "right on" with the dual exhausts. Only one thing nicer and that is to hear the "throaty" sound of the "Jag cats engine purr" !

christchurch
    They do have a certain exhaust note that I haven't heard duplicated. Even when idling, it seems to puurrrrrrrrrrrrr like a kitten. Only a Jaguar!~ A.R.
  • edoddedodd Member Posts: 5
    A) Brown's Lane (in Coventry England)

B) Connolly Leather

C) The 12 Cylinder engine is one of the most robust engines ever produced. It is quite expensive maintain and that is usually the reason they are not in good shape. However a 6 or 8 Cyl. Jaguar is more expensive to maintain than a Chevrolet. It simply depends on if you are willing (or able) to pay more for the added benefits.
    Thanks for the corrections.

I defer to you regarding the XJ12 having personal expience with it. I do know, however, that the JAG 6 has really been "old reliable". True, repairs are expensive but that is true with all foreign vehicles. There seems to be a propensity for Jag, Benz, BMW, etc. dealers to charge much higher shop labor rates. I don't believe that it is the result of these engines being more complex or more difficult to repair. Rather, I suspect that the rates are more tailored to the "exclusivity" of these top tier LUXURY brands.
    In any case, the pleasures of owning and driving these automobiles outweighs the higher repair costs, in my jugement. This is to say that there is a cost for pleasure and if you wish this expierence you have to "pay the piper"!

JAGS, be they be from "Bourne Lane" or "Brown's Lane", are worth the extra bit to go "first class".
    christchurch
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    I had a wind noise from the drivers side window.So I took it in to the Jag dealer before the warranty ran out. I found the "good" mechanic and he replaced the water pump( I didn't know it was leaking),cleaned the throttle body( car ran kind of sluggish- wife babies it around),had several little things that needed replacing. The expensive car mats had a hole in one and they will be replaced too. ALL ON WARRANTY. The dealership did about $4K worth of work all on warranty. I feel bad so I bought some headlight covers. I was really impressed with the bumper to bumper warranty.
    I am still looking for this information.
    My friend is "on the verge" of buying this JAG with about 85k miles but is hestitent toward JAG and "high" mileage. I hope you can some advice and perhaps give a push toward JAG.

(1)Does anyone have any advice or experience on with a '95 JAG and
    (2) what is your opinion on this mileage.
    Good buy ?
    Alternative ?
    (3) What is your warranty suggestion ... company,etc. ?

Advice on XJ6 to pass along?
    christchurch
    I've had experience with a '95 Jaguar XJ6. It's a great car. Ours had about 92,000 km on it when we got it, and it's now got about 120,000 km. So that is a bit less than 85,000m I think, but still up there. It performs flawlessly. No trouble with the engine. As someone else said, it is the oldest design, so it had all the bugs worked out. It will run forever.

Get the Jaguar warranty if you can, because it is quite comprehensive. I would advise your friend to buy one- it has great power, good fuel mileage and is an all around fantastic car. Hope this helps~ A.R.
  • tajdogtajdog Member Posts: 2
    Christchurch, For what it is worth, before I bought my 97 vdp with 96k miles I had it checked out by mechanic I really trust & was told miles don't hurt these engines. Depends on how they're cared for, of course. If service records are available for the car & it checks out, you shouldn't have any problems. Butch (mechanic) said he had a couple of Jags under his care that had 175 to 200k on them & they were running fine. So far, I just love my VDP!! Also, couldn't agree more about the wood. I never would have believed how good wood feels on a steering wheel.
    Good luck if you buy. Taj
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    I just bought a '97 VDP w/29k miles. Since I'm still on my first tank of gas, I was wondering what I could expect.

What are your experiences with XJ-series cars in terms of how economical they are?

I traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee that got around 19 mi/gal.

Thanks!
    Can I change my regular headlamps for these new HID-style lights that keep blinding me when I drive at night?

Does anyone know the make/model number of these lamps?
    Changing over to the HID's is about a $750. It's not a bulb you can get, it's a whole new light system. I don't even know if any new Jaguar's have HID's yet, so it may be hard to get Jaguar to change them for you.~ A.R.
  • blazer8282blazer8282 Member Posts: 4
    I'am new to the Jaguar world. I would like to be an owner. I have my eye on a 1994 XJ6 sedan.
    With 63,000 miles.The price is $16,000.00. Anyone out there that could give me any advice
    regarding this subject? ie: Was this a good year? etc. Thank You
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    1997vdpguy-Welcome to the club. I think you're going to love your jag. I clicked on your profile and see that you're from NOVA. I am too, and usually get 20-22 mpg in my XJ8, round trip daily commute from McLean to Woodbridge--most of the driving being done on 495/95, but since I'm going against traffic, I'm usually cruising at highway speeds. I have noticed, however, that city driving is terrible. 12-14mpg. I don't know what the 6's get specifically in terms of milage, but I'd imagine it'll be similiar to the 8's. I dunno if you bought your car from the dealer with the select edition warranty-if you did, get it serviced with them-but if you're out of warranty, just leave a note and I'll let you know the name of my mechanic in Tysons. He's great, and a lot cheaper than the dealer. Once again-you're going to love this car. There's nothing quite like it on the road.

blazer8282-To me, the price seems a little high--you should be able to bring it down a couple of 1000--the reason I say this is b/c the 1995 XJ6's, which had the altered body shape sell retail for 18-20k all the time, and since the 1994 is an older body style, the price differential between it and a 1995 should be more than 2k. Also, these cars don't really have much of a 2ndhand market, so you should be able to negotiate accordingly. As for reliability --I really don't know. I do recall that when the 1994's came out, there was this huge production about how Jag's were more reliable than ever before, and the 1994's were the start of an upswing in jag sales. Whether or not this actually panned out-i dunno. What I would recommend to you is to get the car checked out at a Dealer--not just your average mechanic, as these cars have quirks in them that if one doesn't work on jags one would tend not to notice. Pay the money, get it checked out, and if it does actually check out, buy it. If not, run as fast as you can. Also, some on these message boards have mentioned that it's smarter to buy a newer than an older Jag. I agree with this, as each year, Jag has has gotten better at increasing their reliability etc. Buy the newest Jag you can afford, and I think a 1993 or 1994 is about the right cuttoff from where you should buy and should not buy in terms of age. Mind you, I've never actually owned a 1994, so I'm not really an informed advisor, and what I've written is mostly just a summation of opinions that I've heard from others. Good luck!
  • areevesareeves Member Posts: 1
    Need to know from the group: 1. Where's the best pricing guide for Jaguars, e. EDMUNDS, CONSUMER REPORTS.COM?
    2. Any advise on '98 VIP
    3. Price to pay dealer
    4. Reliability?
    Thanks for the welcome! I work in McLean and live in Oakton, so my commute isn't that great. I just picked it up last weekend at Rosenthal Jaguar in Tysons.

The car was first put into service in 10/96, so I just missed the select warranty coverage. I put a 5-year/100,000mi coverage on it. I would appreciate the pointer to a reputable mechanic. I'll probably let Rosenthal do the 30,000 mile service on it in a month or so when it's due. Since I'm not sure if it was checked out before it was sold being out of the warranty period. Feels okay though...
  • bgmwbgmw Member Posts: 1
    Looking at the new 2001 XJ8, my very first one, and am interested in anyone's advice / opinions. The interior is a bit tight but I only took my first of a few test drives - cannot judge it by 20 minute test.
    Any history about mechanical problems? Or has Jaguar come around from what I have heard from others.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I switched to Jags after owning having owned three 3-series BMWs back to back. My Jag experience has been the most satisfying and reliable of all car brands I have owned. When I first moved to the US, I was told that Lex or Inf would be the most hassle-free. I experienced some annoying quality issues with the SC400 I first got, though. I then fell in love with the XJS convertible, and bought a '96 (last year). It never ever had any unscheduled stops.

A caveat: I would only go for Jags newer than '94 or so. Previous years do have patchy track records. A friend of mine bought a new XJ6 in '93, and it was a nightmare, the electrical system still acted up like mad.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Sorry I haven't been able to locate the pamphlet from the elderly Jaguar salesman. Must have given it to the new owner when I sold it. Will post the advice as I remember it. Daily: (1)Check and top up lubricant and appropriate fluid levels using Castrol products. (2)Check and top up coolant with a 50/50 mixture. This is critical, especially with 12-cyl cars. (3)Check all engine belts for proper tension with screwdriver blade. Travel should be less than 1/2 inch. (4) With car running and warm from day's driving check cooling fan for proper operation. (5) Check for any oil seepage from engine or transmission areas, especially the overhead cam covers. Wipe suspect areas and recheck next day. Check for any signs of water seepage, leaks other than A/C moisture. (6)Check external lighting, headlamps, parking and reversing lamps. (7) For carburetted cars, be sure to check the oil level in the carburetter reservoir. (This advice covers Series 1 and 2 XJ cars. I usually did this in the evening when I got home before putting the car away for the night.) Note: These cars run with extremely hot underhood temperatures so belts, hoses and vacuum lines are especially susceptible to failure with no warning. My XJ6 Series II ran virtually flawlessly for many years using this advice.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Found this one late!

I'm pretty busy over in Smart Shopper..

FWIW, I have 121,000 VERY Hard miles on my Jade Green 95 Vanden Plas. I've had this one since new and I "drive it like I stole it" as the saying goes and she loves it. No oil consumption, and only 3 problem areas since new. The typical "up-down tilt-motor" problem with the steering column. Solution: Take it off "auto". And I broke a cupholder in 98 (Probably from forcing big gulps into it over the years.. $50 fix). Now the center AC Vents are loose. big deal. I still get cold :)

This is a car that has survived years of college, NYC commuting, and running the hell out of it on the FL Turnpike. It regularly makes the Orlando-Miami run at an average speed of roughly 80mph or so. With the CB I can cruise it at 90+. (Forget a radar detector, a CB Radio is the way to go.)

My dad is driving a Carnival Red 97 XJ6 and, again, it too has been bulletproof. It's only at 56,500 miles though so it's a baby. Bought this at auction back in sept. He loves it.

And I recently picked up one of the evil monsters >:) 99 XJR. Meteorite/Charcoal it's my 4th XJR (For those of you who know me I'm a dealer) and I love it. The speed limiter is 155, but it comes in smoothly. (I got real gutsy a few times on the Florida turnpike.. generally north of Stuart/Fort Pierce among the Orange Groves you can get lucky and the road is empty...)

And, another thing... the 95 VDPs are Short Wheelbase cars. The LWD came out in 96, 4.9" of extra room on the XJ12 and VDP. XJ6L came along in 97. Oh, and the VDP S/C came here in the spring of 99 as a 99 MY Car. Special Order only...

And I jus found out that one of our old XJ6s, a 1995 is pushing 200K. My family has a business in NY City, and one of our employees had as a company car a 95 XJ6. British Racing Green/Coffee..etc. After the 3 year lease ended in Nov of 97, she bought it as the miles were way over and the price was right. At the time it had closer to 95K on it. She lives in Upstate NY (near Newburgh) and commutes in and out of Manhattan daily. She also goes to Albany most weekends. Her car has also been very close to perfect reliability-wise. When I told her what it was unfortunately worth, she told me "For $6-7K I'll run it till it dies!"

For my money, you cannot beat a Used Jaguar for a car...

Bill
    Well said Bill- it's nice to hear from a dealer, who knows the cars inside and out. Some of the interior bits are a little finicky, like the cupholder, sunroof design etc... But all around, they are reliable, fun cars to buy used. I wish more people would realise you can get these beaties at a fantastic price if you buy used.~ A.R.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome - nice to see you over here. There are several Jag conversations going on in Sedans, and a couple discussions on "High End" vehicles that may be of interest to you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Everyone in smart shopper thinks that we're the devil :)

Kidding...

Seriously, there are precious few problems with the X300s (95-97s)... And the X308s (98+) cars are likewise bulletproof.

Bill
    Who is the (possibly current... I've resigned) webmaster of www.jag-lovers.org/modern/
    See ya in the chat room.. in.. ohh... about an hour and a half or so.

Bill
  • queenie617queenie617 Member Posts: 4
    Hello to all:
    I just bought a 1998 xj8 after nearly two months of shopping. Like many others who buy a Jaguar, this was my dream car. There is nothing like it for the exceptional beauty and styling, is there?

So, here's the story. I have been driving Japanese cars for ten years and came down to the Jaguar and Lexus as the final candidates. Obviously the kitty grande won. I bought the car from a reputable dealer and they have been great. However, after only three weeks of ownership, I'm feeling as if the blush is coming off this rose.

The new brakes put on the car when I bought it squeak mercilessly and a left turn often results in a low growl/whine from the right wheel side of the car. Yes, it has been back to the dealer already for these problems which were assumed to be fixed ( correction of the right wheel bearing and an anti-squeak glaze put on the pads).

Unfortunately these repairs did not fix the problems. Just a few days ago, a rattling noise comes in from the rear of the car. The car will go back to the dealer again in a few days but now I am crazily imaging every little whimper, bump, or noise as another test of my patience.

Don't get me wrong...the car drives and handles beautifully but I am nervous plus concerned that this is the beginning of many trips to the dealer.

Okay, thanks for listening...I just needed to get this out of my system.
    Thanks for the replys and encouraging responses.

These Jags are great cars!
    If only people knew what "gems" they are other luxury cars sales would plummet
    For us, of course, this "secret" allows us, the enthusiasts, to buy several years back at great prices!

Thanks again for your sharing with all of us.
    christchurch
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar ownership!
    I mean it literally when I say WONDERFUL.
    I can assure you that you will enjoy this automobile more than any other you have owned.

Now just a word of friendly advice."Hang in there!"

I have had similar expierence of annoying little nit picking problems with every car I have ever owned, both domestic and foreign, Mercedes, etc. included. There are always "bugs" to be worked out.

Consider these days and annoyances as the "shake down cruise" for your Jag.
    A good responsible dealer will get to the bottom of these quirks and resolve is all in due time.
    Remember,too, that this is a "pre owned vehicle" with some mileage. That means that you need to expect some "corrective maintanance".

The bottom line to remember is that when all is said and done, you will have a great car with many years of great driving experience ahead.

Let's hear how you progress.

Take the Jag out today and let the "cat run" !
    christchurch
    net ranger has answered a query I made to him several weeks ago. Seems as though he had "sage advice" from a "friendly old mechanic".
    Now he has passed this on and it is the best advice I have seen on line.
    I am copying his note and calling attention to it so that all of you don't miss it.
    In fact, it would be good to print this and save it as "hard copy" and place in our glove boxes as a good reminder that regular and faithful maintance is the key to compatable ownership with these "cats".

Thanks,again, net ranger !
    Happy maintance supported motoring!
    christchurch

to christchurch on XJ care advice by netranger4 Mar 26, 2001 (04:37 am)
    Sorry I haven't been able to locate the pamphlet from the elderly Jaguar salesman. Must have given it to the new owner when I sold it. Will post the advice as I remember it. Daily: (1)Check and top up lubricant and appropriate fluid levels using Castrol products. (2)Check and top up coolant with a 50/50 mixture. This is critical, especially with 12-cyl cars. (3)Check all engine belts for proper tension with screwdriver blade. Travel should be less than 1/2 inch. (4) With car running and warm from day's driving check cooling fan for proper operation. (5) Check for any oil seepage from engine or transmission areas, especially the overhead cam covers. Wipe suspect areas and recheck next day. Check for any signs of water seepage, leaks other than A/I moisture. (6)Check external lighting, head lamps, parking and reversing lamps. (7) For carburetted cars, be sure to check the oil level in the carburetter reservoir. (This advice covers Series 1 and 2 XJ cars. I usually did this in the evening when I got home before putting the car away for the night.) Note: These cars run with extremely hot underwood temperatures so belts, hoses and vacuum lines are especially susceptible to failure with no warning. My XJ6 Series II ran virtually flawlessly for many years using this advice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have had my '01 XJR for 6 months now - and not a single problem. Not a single annoyance. It literally feels like is a carved out of a block of steel or something.

Previously, I had an XJS convertible for 5 years. And it never had a single problem. I think bringing the car in every 6 months for a look-over is what did it for me. I also guess I am lucky that the service department at my dealer is pretty good. The latter probably makes a big difference.
  • litlrivrlitlrivr Member Posts: 11
    I have a newly leased XJ8. The Pirelli P6000 high performance tires are a disaster in any snow or light slush. Fortunately, now that April is here northern MI will get little, if any, more snow. If we do the Jag stays garaged. Next fall it gets a set of Blizzaks. I have these on a Regatta that was prone to 360's in the snow and now the car handles beautifully. Admittedly we are comparing very high performance rear-wheel with not very high performance front-wheel, but trust me Blizzaks will make a huge difference.
    The car, though, is a delight. I would prefer a lights on when the engine is on feature and retain the automatic off feature. Did it by taping a black card over the back of the rear view mirror where the sensor is located.
    Glad to welcome you to the select crew of JAG enthusiasts. You have chosen to enjoy motoring as no other car can quite deliver.

(1)Your tricking the auto light system is a very good one. I recommend it myself for it still retains the auto off capacity.

(2)Your expierence with Pirelli tires is one I shared. I experienced an awfully dangerous and frightening hydro-planing with a Benz. After "sailing" with no control across an interstate bridge, I immediately got rid of the tires and put on the best and latest version of the Goodyrear Aquatreads.....a great improvement and the best for all year round driving unlike Blizzerks which are for winter only. You might look into this alternative because it would give you better year road control.

(3)Take a look at the great message on service and maintance(# 89)
    I forwarded from one of our on-line friends.

(4)Incidellity, I think we all would be interested in knowing how much your lease cost and what the particulars were. Many of us have considered leasing but are still undecided. Advice ?

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar !
    christchurch
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Thanks for the complimentary acknowledgement on my maintenance posting. Hope to have the monthly recollections ready shortly.
    Thanks again
    NetRanger4
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. Usually a dealer will give a used Jag the "120-point" Select Warranty inspection prior to sale. Now having said that, my dealer sold me my '97 VDP with two burned out tail lights.

Two things you might want to try. 1) be very friendly to your service manager at the dealership and ask if he can look the VIN up in his database. It's possible that your car was sold and serviced by that same dealership (mine was). If so, the complete service history of the vehicle should be there. They are not supposed to disclose anything about the vehicle prior to its sale to you, but that doesn't mean the records don't exist. My Jag had 28.8K miles on it. I was about to cough up the $835 for the 30K service on it. The service manager pulled up my records and told me that it had already had a 30K mile service last November, and a second one just 2 weeks before I bought the car. It also had the Select Warranty inspection even though the car was out of the service period. You may be able to get a feel from its history whether it has had problems in the past, or if maybe it's just being persnickety.

Second, I covered my Jag with a 5-year/100,000mi warranty that pretty much covers it bumper-to-bumper with a $100 deductible per visit. Even with a coverage like this, you should only expect to pay the $100 once since you're bringing the car back for the same complaint.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
    The advice of #94 is right on target.

My experience is that "sugar" is better then "bitters" when it comes to dealing with service managers. If they become your friend they can do a lot to get things done, sometimes without charge. They know what extras can be done to help a good customer. For example, I have even had them install bulbs, wash the car, provide cars to drive while mine was being serviced, take the car in even without an appointment when I have driven in with "some strange sound or problem" all without charge. So get to know the service manager, stop by for a friendly "how are you" talk to him, consult him on routine Jag enthusiast "shop talk" and, thus, establish a "friend to friend" relationship. In the long run, this has and will be bound to pay off.
    It is the old "Golden Rule" approach which always works..."do unto others as you would have others do unto you" !

On the second point, I am interested in what kind of warranty you bought. Was it from the dealership... official JAG... or was it from a private company. What convinced you of its merits? I am wondering, too, if they had a o deductible option. In my opinion, that is the way to go since you don't get "socked" with $100 bucks each time you make your friendly visit. Ideas?

"Listen to the Cats purr!"
    christchurch
    My warranty is not through Jaguar. Since my car was originally purchased in 10/96, the original 4-year warranty had lapsed. The Select Warranty can only be put on cars that are still covered by the original warranty.

I don't have the paperwork here, but as I recall, this was the "Platinum Plus" or some other super-deluxe-sounding-name coverage. It cost US$2800 to provide coverage for up to 5 years from the date I purchased the car or 100,000 odometer miles, whichever comes first. It covers pretty much everything except belts, hoses, brake pads and wiper blades. I wasn't offered a choice of deductible. Not that one may have existed. It's just that at that time with all the other details I was juggling, I neglected to ask. Probably cost me plenty. Re-reading the coverage after getting home, I did notice that there apparently are two kinds of deductible: pay-per-item and pay-per-visit. Mine has the latter.

I suppose this coverage will only really "pay for itself" if I need a new transmission or engine, since bringing it in for something "small" will cost me $100 plus the labor charges per visit (I assume that labor is outside the scope of such a policy - I'll have to re-read things again). Nonetheless, it was the only option I was given at the time I purchased it. I asked about a Jaguar warranty. I was told that the only Jaguar warranty that covered used cars was the Select Warranty, and that my car didn't qualify.

Just as when I bought my first house, I purchased a "Home Protection Plan". This supposedly covers everything in the home for a $25 per-occurrence payment. But the fine print says that basically nothing is covered, since for a "used home", any pre-existing condition is outside the coverage, as are any items for which parts are no longer available as well as any item subject to normal wear and tear (like the roof). So you're left with catastrophe coverage, which a homeowner's insurance policy covers anyway...

Here's hoping I never have to find out the subtlties of the Jaguar service agreement!
    Has anyone put an aftermarket GPS navigation system into your XJ series Jag?

Magellan makes the Hertz "NeverLost" system. They say they can install their system into any vehicle. The 4-inch display is mounted on a goose-neck so it can be tucked away for storage. The CD player is trunk-mounted.

I've also seen Alpine and Demso advertized as aftermarket items, but they seem to be in-dash systems.

I'd welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks!
    Good Morning !

A couple of comments.

(1)These extended warranties can be very good or very bad. There are "horror" stories of the companies not covering certain items and disagreeing with the service charges. Then you hear quite the opposite. Smooth and speedy compensation and "no questions asked" reimbursements. I am not sure which you have but judging by what you paid it should be in the comprehensive group of coverages. I would query the Jag dealer or wherever you have it serviced about their experience with a policy such as yours. Hopefully, yours will bring you nothing but satisfaction.

(2)You suggest that you may have to pay labor costs but my guess, HAPPILY for you, is that you have coverage for BOTH parts AND labor for your $100 deductible, ie. everything over the first $100 should be covered.

(3)As related to navigation systems, I don't know specifics or anyone who has installed on in the XJ series. I would suggest you approach your Jag dealer,see what they suggest and what they may have been installing. You might also send off an e-mail to the various manufacuters of the devices or even to the Jaguar corporate center and see which they suggest as an after market application for XJ Jaguars. Maybe, too, you will get some response at this site from our Jag friends as they have many suggestions and always have good advice. Let us know.

My advice is "don't fret the small stuff like warranties, you will cross that bridge when you come to it".

So, the next nice day just take the Jag out,put the seat back, open the windows,listen to her purr and let her run!

Enjoy your success !

Happy Jaging, it's the best !
    christchurch
    My former car, the XJS coupe, had the extended Jag coverage. For the duration of that warranty, I didn't pay anything. Even the complementary car was free. I would get the Jag warranty if I got a used Jag. It just means peace of mind. And they'll often throw it in "for free" (they did in my case).

The Hertz NeverLost system is *horrible*. I have used it twice. The last time out, in San Diego, it was an utter and total joke. I think you're much better off with a PocketPC and downloading streetmaps, really. Or printing directions off Yahoo. Even the regular Jag Navigation System (a $3,000 option if you decided for it afterwards, ridiculous) is not glitch-free. If you have music running and you turn the NS on, you can't get rid of it anymore. Really intrusive. Besides, it is rather stubborn and will not adjust to shortcuts or your attempts to avoid traffic - it will insist on you turning around and taking the original way it suggested for quite a while...
  • queenie617queenie617 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your previous encouraging comments...very much appreciated.

Well, the Jaguar and I seem to be back on sound footing...(except for the brakes).

The cat went back to the dealer today, and I asked to have a mechanic ride with me to hear the left turn noise and the new rattle in the rear. Plus, I thought the mechanic would be interested in hearing the finely tuned brake squeaking.

Well, wouldn't you know it, the car failed to own up to its problems at first. But, the mechanic was a fine, patient fellow, and after a while, the cat began to cough it up. Then, the mechanic took over the driving to isolate the noises better (except for the brakes, which needed nothing to help hear those). In all, we spent 40 minutes in that car together.

I picked up the car later, and the noises were corrected. The left turn problem turned out to be the left wheel hub, and the rear rattle was a suspension brushing. I learned a bit about Jaguar brake pads, and the service manager gave me a bit of advice as to how to minimize and/or eliminate the sqeaking by some braking techniques. Now, the big kitty will get its real test tomorrow morning when we take our daily rush-hour commute into the city...lots of stopping and starting on those brakes.

To answer the questions asked:
    I have the Select Edition warranty (six years/100,000miles) since the car had time on the original warranty remaining. I have no deductible. To date, I have spent nothing on these trips to the dealer (well, except for the looming car payments). The warranty cost was included in the price of the car. Also, because there were 27,700 miles on the car at purchase, the 30,000 mile check was done (which seems a contradiction in terms on this "pre-certified" car).

The dealer did not have the service records on the car since they were not the dealer of origin (or that's what I was told).

You are absolutely correct, Christchurch, about the best way to deal with people. This goes for everyone including Jaguar service people. Also, what I always keep in mind is that these gentlemen---and they are all gentlemen---love these cars as much as we do and want them to perform well for us. The mechanic who serviced the car last week and rode with me this morning has been with this dealer for 25 years. To me, that speaks volumes about his belief in his work and the cars he repairs. Yes, it is also "good business", but it is amazing how so many dealers may not get the connection, even when they talk the "good customer service" talk.

So, all-in-all, it was a good experience. I borrowed a friend's BMW528 to use while my car was at the dealer and while his BMW is a superb car, well, I was so glad to get that freshly repaired and just-washed Jaguar back...nothing like it.

Again, thanks for listening...
    The car connection:

http://www.thecarconnection.com

has some great spy photos of high end cars, such as the new XJ, BMW 7 and MB SL. The new XJ looks fantastic. There are two pictures, one of a computer rendering and a one of a real spy shot. There is a lot of the black covering on the spy shot, but the overall shape looks to be new. More bentleyish with harder lines. It looks great to me~ A.R.