Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Well...

The S-Classes are nice. Heavy tho.. sort of ponderous to drive. Full of gadgets, very solid, strong resale.. dependable. A lot more interior/trunk room.

S320 is underpowered. Gotta do S420 or S500(preferably)

XJ6? Usual rules apply :)

Bill
    Depends what it will cost to fix. $6K or so is top of the market for these really... So I dunno.. under $4K MIGHT be a decent deal if the work canbe done WELL. Poorly done bodywork hurts the car's value.

I'd have the mechanicals checked by someone who knows Jags as well...

Bill
    Good call on the ragtop! :)

And always glad to be of help!

Bill
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    One of my neighbors just purchased a 99'xj8 that was originally a rental car. It has about 23,000 miles on it, and from what I can tell, some body work on one of the doors. He was really happy with the car, and insisted that I drive it around a bit--and it's nice, but doesn't seem quite as "tight" as my own xj's. He got a good price on it, he said he paid around 31,000 for it--but I wonder if he got ripped off b/c it was a rental in it's previous life. Any other owners or experiences with rental xj8's? Are these cars reliable or have they generally been driven so hard that it would be foolhardy if one were not to stay far far away from them? He mentioned that it had been sitting in the dealers lot for about 8 months--so I'm not sure if this is b/c the market is so weak or if it's the car itself.
  • richmondmrichmondm Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in a 95 Coupe 4.0L, with 80K miles. What are the items I should be looking out for? Are the repair bugs all over this model or might I be pleasantly surprised?
  • richmondmrichmondm Member Posts: 3
    Apologize for the open ended question? I just read several hundred previous comments.

Being completely new to the world of class Cats I have tons of questions. As mentioned in the first message, the XJS Coupe I'm looking at is a perfect white/tan interior. The car drives great!!!

How much should I expect in the way of maintenance cost per year for a vehicle with 80k+ miles?

Is $16,000 a fair price in the Atlanta market?

I read the message on taking the car to a Jag mechanic and looking at carfax.

Would appreciate any info on this model year!
    I've bought quite a few of them actually and they are generally nice cars. Of course you have to watch for paintwork and all of that stuff :)

Remember what it costs to rent a Jag and imagine who is driving the car :)

Actually I bought 2 ex-rental 3.0 S-Types today at the Jaguar auction here in Orlando. Both are very nice tight cars. They were about the only Jags worth buying! Half the cars there were ex-canadian and bringing stupid $$.

Bill
    OK, Great car, last year of the coupe.

Usual Caveats apply but overall a very nice car.

$16K? Fair? Not really... kinda high methinks... $14,500 or so is the most you should pay for an immaculate one. Less Ideally.

Bill
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    ...YOU would probably rent a Jag, and we've all read about the way YOU drive!

Shezad, your friend is probably ok as long as he doesn't buy an ex-rental from Florida!

:-)
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I have a question for all of you nice people who are caregivers to a Jaguar with a light colored interior (Bill, are you there?). We have a Jag XK8 with an Ivory interior. How does one keep the leather looking clean, as well as in good condition? Are there any especially effective products? Any pitfalls to avoid? I would thank anyone for any tips. Oh yes, while I'm here, how does one get tree sap off of the paint while leaving the paint on the car? Any good ideas? Thanks again.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• fiorentinafiorentina Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    I purchased a Jag S-type 2000 4.0 last August and have put on a little over 5k miles ( don't drive this car too often). Overall it is a very nice car that get quite a lot of looks, here are the problems I have run into so far (minor, but still very bothersome)

Had tyres balanced for high speed as a result of a "shimmy" from 60-70mph
    Reverse park control does NOT work all the time, and the button on the overhead console to turn off/on the park control does not always work.
    Replaced the a/c condenser and clutch (the Jag a/c is very weak and barely blows out any cold air even at the highest setting)
    Replaced coin tray, cassette box (I didn't get the nav system), and cigarette lighter, tray, and lid.

Jaguar service also sucks, it is very hard to schedule an appointment at a dealership that you did NOT buy the car from. I purchased it at British Motor Cars in San Francisco and get it serviced at Jaguar San Jose.
    Who, me?

I bought a VDP S/C on Tuesday (Surprise! A Mint Silver/Ivory 2000 showed up at the auction in Orlando! Wow, 2 in 2 days!)

Did 145 this morning on the way to the office :))))

Bill
    http://www.leatherique.com

Check it out.

Oh, tree sap? BAD STUFF! Get it off the paint ASAP! I suggest finding a good detailing shop to have it removed professionally. If you're in Orlando I have an outstanding guy (long shot.. but hes awesome and cheap)

Bill

• litlrivrlitlrivr Member Posts: 11
    I can assume a lease on an 01 XJ8. Thirty months and 26,000 miles remaining. Buy out $29,300 at end of lease. Car is immaculate Platinum on black hides. $1500 to current lessor, then $775/mo. to Jaguar credit. Good, so-so, run away???
    Thanks for the web site and the advice. I will make good use of both.

Bob

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Hmm...

Sounds like its' on a 10K mile/year lease.

Excess mileage is 20c/mile...

Seems like a decent deal but why not just get a new one? I'd see what kinda deal you can do that way methinks...

Bill
    Glad to help! :)
  • ou814ou814 Member Posts: 12
    I am needing to replace the rear shocks on my '95 XJ 6 and am wondering if I should go with the factory Boge shocks ($149 each from Coventry West) or with Bilstein HD shocks ($104 each).

p.s. Thanks for the lunch Bill. It was great to meet you.

Rick in Omaha, still loving his decision to buy a Jag.
    Okay, so maybe I WILL be spending some money on repairs afterall..

Last night on the highway, going around 70-80Mph at about 2500 RPM, my "check engine" light flashed and the car lurched as if the engine had momentarily lost power. The check engine light never came back on.

For the rest of my drive home, everytime I would lighten up on the accelerator pedal, the car would jerk a bit as if it were downshifting, but it would do it with a noticeable "jerk". If I accelerated again, it felt fine. It didn't seem to matter what speed I was going. Whenever I would lift my foot to slow down or coast, the transmission would "thunk" and downshift. At very slow speeds, it felt like I was missing a gear. I could manually shift into 3rd and 2nd gear. They were still there as far as I could tell.

Never having experienced the "limp-home" mode, I was wondering if maybe the car had switched itself into this mode.

This morning after sitting all night, the car is behaving fine. On my way into work, I made it up to 60MPH. When I lifted my foot today, the engine smoothly downshifted. I had to really concentrate to notice it shifting gears. Last night, it was extremely obvious.

I made a service appointment for tomorrow, but I'm curious what the nature of the problem could be.

Thanks,
    Ron
  • blazer8282blazer8282 Member Posts: 4
    Does the drain plug on my 95 xj6 oil pan have a right or left hand thread. Dumb question
    I know, but it's so tight, I don't want to force it too much,if it might have a left hand thread.
    Thanks
    I found the discussion thread on sticky throttles and such (msgs #284-#312), so I will ask my dealer about that tomorrow.

It may have been a throttle problem initially, but it only really momentarily "stalled" once. The rest of my experience was with the jerky performance as the car decelerated. That felt more like a transmission issue than an engine issue. But what do I know, I'm a computer geek!
    Go with the Boges. $$ Well spent. I remember hearing on the Jag list that many people felt that Bilsteins rode too harshly.

Although for a BMW M3... :))

Good to meet you as well!

Oh, and for the oil plug.. normal threads, think you need a 32mm socket.

Bill
    Ya know.. my 95 did something very similar.

Like 4 years ago. She's been behaving herself since.

I'd keep an eye on it but not to worry too much...

Bill
    It has right handed or "regular" threads. You turn counter clockwise to loosen it. You do need a big socket though, I think it is probably 32 mm as Bill stated. I used a big pair of vice grips the first time but the right sized socket the second time. It is on tight, no doubt about that.

Rick.

'95 XJ6
    Thanks, The Jag dealer checked the CPU for codes. There weren't any. They said it may have been water or air in the fuel line and to just keep an eye on it. I had just filled the tank earlier that day, so who knows... They said the throttle assy is cleaned when they do a service on the car, and it just had one done in March before I bought it. It'll get another one in about a month and a half when I bring it in for another 7,000 mile incremental service. It's been fine for the last 2 days.

Dunno.. just one of those things, I suppose. No charge today. In and out in 20 minutes. Great service at my place!
  • k15056k15056 Member Posts: 5
    My 01 Westminster XJ8 has been flawless. However, somehow a rock must have bounced up and broke the lens on my passenger side High beam. At my 10,000 maint. I had it fixed. After I left the dealer I noticed my rear sensors weren't working. Then, later in the evening I noticed my Automatic headlight setting no longer worked. Then I noticed that the "small bulb" in the driver side high beam now stays on all the time while the headlights are on, but the "small bulb" in the passenger side high beam does not while the lights are on (but not on bright).

Apparently the dealer screwed something up when they changed my headlight. While this is not earth shattering and I'll get it taken care of, it sure is a pain in the keester as I live 90 miles from my dealership.

Any ideas on what happened?

Best regards to all
  • lesliejoylesliejoy Member Posts: 62
    The dealer conceded that the refinisher in California sent me someone elses wood piece. To correct the situation, they are sending it back, along with the wood piece from my ashtray cover to match the color.

So far have waited 2 weeks for it's return. Hopefully, the color will match. (Burl is very similar so it's the color that's important to me right now.)

Also, I noticed that the cup holder leather is a shade off from the rest of the console. I'm having it replaced for the second time. Anyone else find this to be the case? It appears to have almost a yellow cast to it.

I'll keep you posted as to when my wood comes back.
  • vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    Luc,

Thanks for the heads up on the matching door panels. I made sure to look at them before they were to install them and wow!!!.. totally different shade and grain from the dash and console.
    They said that they would re-order another set but I'm starting to believe that your CA. people are the solution. I discussed it with the dealer and they seem to be accommodating if we have to go that route.

DC
    I am wondering if my car is riding too low in the back. I have a '95 XJ6 and there is about 1/2 inch between the top of the tire and the fender lip in the unladen position. I noticed there was a Technical Service Bulletin which applied to my VIN about installing longer springs if there was a vibration at speed with 400 lbs in the rear. I don't notice the vibration but it just looks a little low. I really noticed it when I was parked next to a newer XJ8. It also appears that the newer XJ8s have a higher beltline and are "Boxier" looking in the back.

TIA.

Rick.
  • lucnoellucnoel Member Posts: 31
    Glad I could help.
    They can reorder a new set but the chance that they match is very,very slim.
    One of the reason is that wood color/shade/tint change with age and UV (sun).
    The company in Santa Barbara WILL do a perfect match and for cheaper than new ones.
    The dealer should have no problem since they are the "official" Jaguar re-finishing outlet in the USA.
    Luc.
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    I have recently purchased a 98 VDP and love this car. To a trip to New Orleans over the weekend and it was a dream to drive. Now for the Question:
    I want a 98 XK8 but " Does the car get hot on the inside during the summer with the A/C? I live in Houston where it gets 100+. I have never had a converible and have always wondered about the interior heat during the summer.
    Thanks
    Nope!

I recently picked up an XK8 (A 98... Anthracite with Charcoal Interior to boot!) And here in Orlando its' been fine.

Its' hot when you get in it but once you're in it I get nice and cool. Unless I put the top down that is!

Bill
    Just picked up my car from the dealership.
    The wood piece they sent back to be refinished matches perfectly and I am now a happy camper!!

One other question: Has anyone here bought an extended warranty from the dealer using Warrantech? What are your opinions?

Thanks for all the support I receive on this thread!!!
    Like Bill, I have no problem staying cool in my XK8, and I live is So. California. I am sure that they use the same unit that they do in the sedans, and in the smaller cockpit of the XK8 it works juuuust fine.

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    One trick I learned a few years ago when I owned a roadster will keep you cool much of the time with the top down. I assume you can get a tonneau cover for the XK8, if not from Jaguar then from the aftermarket. Looks real nice, imo. Then, on a hot day (though 100 degrees might be pushing it quite a bit!), turn on the a/c, direct one set of dash vents to go over your hands and into your face, and let the rest of the a/c collect under the tonneau and wash out over you ... real cool (& better than having the top up) in all but the hottest weather.

another vein: has anyone ever tried driving with the top down in the rain? Is there a speed at which the rain goes over the top rather than coming in?

Sorry to sound so weird today, but I really loved my roadster.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket
    GPS -"On Star" kind of system that can be added to our Jags?

If so, let us know.
    Thanks,
    Christchurch
    Leslie,

=D Glad yer happy!!

jwilson: In light rain at 80-85mph I dont get wet. I keep the top down a lot as I am a chainsmoker (Iknow.. I know..) and I dont stink the car up that way.

Christchurch: Dont think its'offered on the aftermarket yet. I dont see that it does anything that a GPS system and cell phone wont do in a much better way, although the accident and theftthings are nice... I'm sure its' coming.

Bill
    Thanks everyone for the insite on the A/C in the XK8. I know my VDP cools off very quickly, even in Houston. What I need to know now is where to buy. Should I go to the Jag auctions in NJ or Florida? Or should I try to find one on line?
    Bill, what would be a good price for a 98 XK8 with low mileage? ( like yours ) Any Help.
    thanks
    Dealer auctions are for dealers...

If you have questions relating to that, feel free to e-mail me: directautogroup@aol.com But I do buy an awful lot... wholesale is like $38-44K... depends on a lot of factors.

Depends.. What miles? Color?

Bill
    My warranty is from Warrantech. I haven't used it yet, but it is supposed to cover "everything".
    The usual items are excluded, brakes, pads, rotors, etc. And so are those underbonnet covers that you rip when you drive over the concrete bumpers in parking lots!

Mine has a $100 per visit deductible/co-pay. Can't I just add my car to my company's medical coverage?!?!?
    Bill, thanks for the info. There was a 98 XK8 white, tan completely loaded at a Mercedes dealership. they wanted $44K and it was on ebay.
    Is this a good deal? I want a white with tan. 20-30K mileage. what is a good deal for this one?
    In the news today:

BY DAN HART
    BLOOMBERG NEWS

WASHINGTON -- Ford Motor Co.'s Jaguar unit is recalling about 3,550 of its 1994
    to 1996 XJ12 and XJS sedans because faulty emission-control parts may cause the
    cars to exceed U.S. air-pollution standards, a government agency said.

About 550 XJ12s from 1995 and 1996 have a problem with the air-pump check valve,
    while about 3,000 XJ12 and XJS cars from 1994 and 1995 have a faulty oxygen
    sensor, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on its Web site. Jaguar's
    North American office couldn't immediately confirm the recall.

-----------

See also the coverage provided on the Jagtalk website at:

http://www.jagtalk.com/forums/1/message.html?22690

and

http://www.jagtalk.com/forums/1/message.html?22660
    Hmmm

$44K? Without knowing the miles it seems like a very good price.

Spindrift White with Cashmere interior is a very exensive color combo on XK8s, one of the most desireable. Oh, and you want really low miles. OK, I can understand that! :)

My guess is I'd have to pay at auction.. somewhere around $42Kish for a car like that, so $44K is a very strong retail price.

Bear in mind, used cars are profitable for dealers.. And $2K over wholesale (Although who knows.. they coulda grabbed it for $40K on trade) is a cheap deal. On a retail level at the Jag dealership we used to average around $5,000 or so on used XK8s.

So.. if its' low miles and mint.. I'd be tempted to say to pull the trigger!

Bill
    Bill, I am sorry I did not mention it had only 14K miles on it. the wife and I went by to look at it. It looks OK. but since we have had flood damage all over Houston one must be leary on used car purchases around here. But it looks like a sweetheart.
    I think that's the one I'm going to take out in March 2002 also.

Looking at Warrantech also for our Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. They are asking $1,500 for a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. It's the same warranty as the jaguar for about $1,000 less!

We are going to keep these cars for at least 5 more years, so I think the warranty will bring peace of mind. It's like buying insurance. You hate to spend the money, but if you need it, it's there.

Liked your idea about putting the car on your medical insurance. Maybe we can claim them as dependents on income tax as well!
    14K Miles?? That is a screaming deal then...

Post the VIN here or e-mail me at directautogroup@aol.com and I will carfax it for you if you'd like...

Bill

PS: Look at this site I made too:

http://www.vauxhallpa.50megs.com/paintwork.html

I'd say go for it on the JGC... In my experience with them, that could well pay for itself..

Bill
    Bill, I went by the Mercedes Dealership today to get the VIN number and the car was sold already. Wow in one day . I thought it was a good price. Should have bought this one. Well I will have to keep looking. thanks for the help

Jarmstrong
  • jmm52jmm52 Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking to purchase a new car for a number of months but nothing has really struck me as worth the investment. I currently have a BMW 1995 325i convertible that is aging and needs some work to bring it back. Thinking about trading up to a new car I went in to a Florida dealer to test drive the new "X" but was not really impressed. Nice car but didn't seem to have that something that would make it my new car.

While there I looked over the XJ8's and decided to test drive one. Like many of you I have always loved the look of the car but thought it would be too expensive. They had a number of cars with Select Edition warranties. The one I liked the best was 1999 XJ8 Platinum with 15,000 miles for $40,000. It looked to be in great shape compared to a 36,000 1997 in Mistral Blue for $33,000 which looked a little tired. How are these prices?

I am seriously thinking about a purchase but need to test drive the car for a while to see how I adjust to the handling and pickup. It is certainly unlike that of the BMS’s and Mercedes I have had the opportunity to drive in the past. The pickup was very smooth but appeared to lack the aggressive response of the BMW, which has a much smaller engine. I am not saying it was worse just that it was different.

I would appreciate any feedback on the price I was quoted as well as a comparison of the driving feel from someone who has driven both BMW’s and Jaguars.
    Ummm...

$33,000 for a 1997 XJ6 with 36K??? I think you can find a 1998 XJ8 with similar miles for less than that!

$40,000 for a 1999 XJ8? Well... I'm in Orlando.. and.. well..I see what they sell for at auction... aiii... I've seen similar mile 2000s sell for that!

Those prices are QUITE high. I mean, as dealers, weneed to make some money and all.. but.. ouch!

As far as driving... I drive both quite a bit. Ya know.. the BMW IS an "edgier" car, theJaguaris more.. umm.. discreet about power delivery?

Bill