Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• Options
    rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    I found a better shot of Amaranth. It's purple!!
    No wonder.

Bill, you didn't list Mistral in that last post.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Mistral is not a VDP Color :)

But it is upper midpack pricewise... depends on the market I suppose. Seems to actually do a little better up north.

http://www.vauxhallpa.50megs.com/paintwork.html

THAT car is Carnival. Madeira is a "Brick" red.

Amaranth is Purple. Eggplant Purple. Sapphire is a Deep Royal Blue (Quite attractive).

Bill

• Options
    This topic seems alot quieter than it used to be.

Here's one for the crowd:
    Vanden P vs. XJ8L...do you think the VDP is worth several thousand $ more at typical retail, all else being equal? and why?

From what I see, the differences are mainly the exterior trim and the interior tray tables, plus some other decor. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    You're right. Same trim and drivetrain, same option availability.

I think they are worth the $4K or so extra because I like the toys and the picnic tables :)

But then again I also like Vauxhalls... hehehe

Bill and his toys.
  • Options
    I like the picnic tables too, but not for $4k! Especially since I'd personally never use them (since I'd be driving).

What other toys are there?
  • Options
    Autolux Leather and a lot more of it... Nicer wood.. More Chrome.. Hideously ugly wheels on 98-00s...

Thats about it mainly...
    Bill
  • Options
    christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    (1) Does anyone know if it is possible to add "On Star" GPS location and emergency aid system to a 1996 SJ ?
    If so, price / how / from whom -let me know.

(2) I am considering adding an extended warranty.
    Does anyone have any advice?

What companies and what experience?

(Anyone had experience with "Wynns" or "Great Lakes" ?)

These are great cars and I am always interested in keeping them first class and when I can improve them.

Thanks !
    Christchurch
  • Options
    netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Was out and about on errands and spotted an (approximately) XJ12 of 70's vintage. Had seen one of this color years ago..believe it was called Fern Gray. Kind of a pea soup color. Looked at my old color chart (now faded) whatever happened to Sable, Signal Red etc. Just reminiscing. Those tended to be hard colors though as I remember, not metallic. Wonder if Jaguar ever considered putting some of the classic colors back into production?
  • Options
    Thanks for the warranty info.
    My car has more than 60000k miles.
    Is there any other warranty that "Warrantech" offers than the one you selected?

Incidently, what is the e-address of "Warrantech"?

Take a look at my post at #769...any advice on these two companies: "Wynns" or "Great Lakes"?

Thanks for the advice!
    Christchurch
  • Options
    97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    I posted about this a while back. It turns out that this phenomenon might be traceable to the reason for the recall on late model V6 engines. The letter I just received from Jaguar about the recall lists that exact symptom as being related to the EGR valve and throttle system. Under the recall, Jaguar will replace the EGR valve, computer chip and throttle cable.

Hopefully, this will fix the problem I and others have experienced.

FWIW, My VDP is Jade Green. I think it looks classy!
  • Options
    Christchurch:

I dunno if you can add OnStar, but Aftermarket Navigation systems are available. Alpine seems to make the best from what I hear.

Warranties? You know my position :)

Netranger: Well, they did bring back Sherwood Green in 1997 and Westminster Blue came back for '00...

Bill
  • Options
    lucnoellucnoel Member Posts: 31
    On a 2001 model the difference is more like $10.000.
    Beside the trays and slightly different wood with inlays:

XJ8 leather wheel
    Leather ONLY on the seating surfaces of the seats and handbrake handle.

VDP wood/leather steering wheel
    Autolux leather on console,rear console,console cup holder,door armrests,door pockets,hand brake gaiter.
    Sun blinds
    Rear Heated seats
    Premium sound
    Adaptive suspension
    Wood on overhead console
    Lambswool rugs
    And I am sure that I forgot some other things.
  • Options
    Yup. On the pre-01s... its' effectively trim level only.

Also... I JUST GOT A RECALL NOTICE IN THE MAIL!

Appears that 95, 96 and 97 MY 4.0L US Market cars are going to get new EGR Valves and some sorta new EGR Chip. Seeing as I have just deducted that my 95 has a crapped out EGR Valve, this makes me somewhat relieved :)

So th 95 and 97 will go off to Collier... Guess I better get the ones I have in stock over there too... More aggravation!

Bill
  • Options
    vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    Bill, I have to agree with you. The wheels on my wife's 99 VDP are the worst (although they're a breeze to clean). I grabbed a Jag catalog to see about wheels for her winter tires. I haven't checked prices yet, but now I'm considering using the factory wheels for snow and purchasing different wheels for the warm weather Pirelli's.
    What do you suggest and where do you suggest purchasing them?
    Also, what is a great winter/snow tire that affords good traction without sacrificing too much fun?

Thanks,
    DC
  • Options
    Jag makes some nice wheels...

Me? I'd get the 17" VDP S/C Wheels and 235-50ZR17s... Looks GREAT!

Snows? Get a set of Pirelli Winter 210s or Michelin Arctic Alpins (IIRC).

Basically, the Pirellis are based on the P4000 Casing... :)

They are H Rated snows.. Some of the more agressive ones are a touch better in the white fluffy stuff, but these are pretty good on the dry, while the others make your Jag drive like a 79 Town Car :)

Bill
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    and you do not consider a 79 Town Car a performance sedan, eh?...:):)...ever seen one drive off a cliff??? they seem to accelerate pretty well to me...................until they hit bottom, of course
  • Options
    lesliejoylesliejoy Member Posts: 62
    I don't really know anything about the two companies you mentioned.

Warrantech does have a website, but it doesn't tell you anything since it is sold only through
    dealer reps. The website is www.warrantech.com
    Their phone # is 800-577-6624.

You may want to call them and ask if they offer any program for jaguars over 60,000 miles.
    If not, ask your jaguar dealer and other classic used car (mercedes, bmw,etc) dealers if they sell anything for cars over 60,000.

Whatever you do, when you find a warranty, shop it around. Find out from the warranty company who their reps are in your area.
    Then call each one for a quote. You'll find they
    are offered at all different prices for the same warranty!!

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Leslie
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I don't know when the start date closes, but AAA offers warranties all the way up to 120k miles.

For tires, and even wheels, be sure to check tirerack.com.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

This extended warranty business "scares me". There are so many horror stories of paying 'fat'
    purchase fees and then finding that the items to be repaired are excluded for one reason or another.

On the other hand, Jags and these sort of luxury machines are frightfully expensive to repair for the big ticket items.

I know that the jury is still out, however, as to
    whether it is better to save the money for contingencies or pay for a warranty up front and hope for the best.

I appreciate your suggestions and in-put. It moves me further along toward a decision.

If anyone else wants to weigh in on this topic' please do so.
    I think that a lot of us are in the "same boat" and face the same dilemma.

Keep on Jag'in !
    Christchurch
  • Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    If I remember right, is affiliated with (read owned by) General Motors. Jaguar is owned by Ford, and the two have been involved in a bitter feud since time immemorial, so I doubt Jaguars ever came with OnStar as an option.
  • Options
    I picked up a Warrantech policy when I bought my '97 VDP w/28,000 miles on it. I'm forgetting the details, but I believe it was around $2,800.

I look at it as an insurance policy. If something *big* does ever break, like the engine falling apart or something, I'm covered. Otherwise, just about all the normal things you would bring a car in for (loose belts, bad brakes, blown tires, ripped seats, broken headlights, bad muffler, etc.) are not covered by any kind of second-hand policy. However, if the sunroof breaks, the windows don't go up or down, the seat heaters fail to operate, or the engine throws a rod, those WILL be covered. I don't know about leaky gaskets, I'd have to read the fine print, but I would guess not. Even if the car has a "covered breakdown", the deductible you have to pay probably exceeds the cost of the replacement parts, so you're only saving the labor charges.

This stuff is all a racquet, but it gives some the peace of mind to brave the traffic snarls everyday. Plus, you might be able to recoup some of that money if you ever resell the car as the policy is transferrable.

I'm guessing that most of us who buy such policies are just giving our money away, but for those few whose cars really do break down, the cost of the policy might be less than the cost of repairs otherwise.
  • Options
    Whoever commented on the 98-00 VDP wheels (probably Bill) was right. I think they are the worst looking wheels in the entire lineup. They remind me of aluminum pie plates.
    Almost makes me illiminate the possibility of buying from those model years, unless somebody would let me swap out for another style...which would be highly unlikely on a used car.

I'm still looking for a good back-to-back comparison of Madeira vs. Carnival Red on the VDP. If anyone knows of a place to look on the web, please point it out.

-Rick
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    You need to go with a 1998 or so XJR. It's got great looking wheels :)
  • Options
    ...but I'd be hard pressed to find one that wasn't beat on. Plus, those 18" tires would bankrupt me...a new set or two every year the way they hold up!
  • Options
    You are right that "On Star" is featured on GM products.
    I know the Mercedes Benz has a system called "Tele Aid" and, I think, that Ford's is called "Rescue".

Are they all separate systems or are they interlinked ?

My guess is that Jaguar should have something which is compatible...ie. could be added.

These GPS voice contact systems are really helpful in time of emergencies .... like getting stranded out in "nowhere" where even your cell phone is not too helpful when calling and they ask where you are...
    and ones only response has to be "who knows...oh perhaps 40 or 50 miles from some town"! !

I once had a fuel pump go miles from Charleston, S.C. and had no idea where I was or how far away I was and no mile posts were visible !!

I did call the 800 number but it was one unbelievable task to locate where I was.
    Thus, "On Star" or what ever we are going to call it, can give a good bit of piece of mind when driving out in the "boonies" and particularly at night.

I wish I could find some service or other which I could add, since I do a lot of cross country driving.

If anyone has any suggestions (beside staying at home. Ha! Ha!) let me know.

"Travelin Jag"
    Christchurch
  • Options
    dukejr1dukejr1 Member Posts: 2
    Well I bought a '98 because of the improved reliability and here I sit typing my 1st memo 45 days into ownership.

Intermittingly my Jag won't start. The dash lights come on, but no one is home under the hood. I am now on my 3rd trip to dealership to fix. The are looking at neutral safety switch (not reading that the car is in park or neutral), excitor ring (in the ingnition), and finally it may not be reading my key and I should try my other key and it should start.

I am sure I am not the 1st to have this problem. Can someone please post their experience with this and how they fixed it.

thanks
  • Options
    Something to check here that I HAVE seen before...

Transponder keys from different cars do not play well together and are not friendsly to each other.

Wanna fry the programming on the key to a Newer Ford? Have the key on the same ring as the key to another car that uses transponders (Say a Honda) while you're driving said Honda.

In other words, they can scramble each other....

I have seen it happen.

Bill
  • Options
    dukejr1dukejr1 Member Posts: 2
    Well you've peaked my interest with this posting. there seems to be something to this theory. I got 3 keys when I bought the car. I have only used 1.

my follow up question would be that once a key is messed up, would it ever work again? For example, my car will start in the morning, then not start in the afternoon, but then start later in the night or the next morning with that same key.

My analogy of what you are saying would be like a credit card at the checkout of Walmart being demagnetized and never working again.
  • Options
    vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    Wanted to thank all for their colorful and descriptive commentary on '98 thru '00 VDP wheels, and although I whole-heartedly agree.......my wife informed me that she "really likes them".
    Anyway, I went to Coventry West's web page, called and spoke with a very helpful gentleman (Tom) who informed me of a brand new set of "Lunars" that were ordered for a customer that backed out of the deal. They seem to be the new factory wheels for '01 VDPs........and my wife "really likes them".
    Thanks for the earlier tip of "Coventry West" Bill. They were great to work with.
    I'll let you know how the Pirelli's work in the white stuff.

DC
  • Options
    They can be programmed... but you need to have the dealer do it (They do it using a $20K computer.. doubtful many independent shops have them yet)

But, yup, much like frying a credit card... Heck, before they had these goofy transponder keys Jags rarely got stolen!

And Vusic, I hope you mean the Pirelli SNOW tires, right? :) And those '01 wheels willmake your car look like an 01 too! And I agree, big improvement (Even if I like the 96-97 wheels the best myself!)

Bill
  • Options
    While we're still sort of discussing colors...

I just picked this up: 95 XJ6... I'm posting a pic as its' a factory custom order car.. Its' NOT Sapphire, I've never seen the color or code before.

Cool looking, eh? :)

Last special-order color I saw was a BROWN metallic 98 XJ8 (Yuk!) And that was in.. sheesh.. Last October!

Bill
  • Options
    I love that color, if it is a nice as it appears "over the wire".
    How about the code number?
    If I ever have a repaint I might like to use it.

Incidently, what is the e-address of Coventry West?

Got any pros or cons on the new X series?

Thanks and "keep on Jagin" !

Christchurch
  • Options
    It is that nice in person! Actually, it's, if anything, even brighter in person. I love the car.

The Jag Order code is "BLUM" and the Code on the door is "JGZ"

Its' on eBay if you wanna see more pics.. e-mail me and I can give you the link.

Oh, try http://www.coventrywest.com for their website. Also try http://www.jagbits.com

So far I like the new X.. although looks like I am gonna stay with the XJs for a while :)

I WANT A NEW X350!

Bill

• Options
    pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I have a pretty darn new XJR, only 8300 miles on it. Unexpectedly, I have received a phenomenal interesting job offer to move back to Europe. I have accepted it. I will stay in Europe 1-2 years. Of course, I can not take the car with me, that is a mess between US and Europe. Thusly, the msartest thing is to try to sell it. I have tried selling it at what seems a very aggressive price to get it over with, and yet *no* one has even called! is the market for luxury vehicles really *this* bad? Any ideas on how to proceed to sell a car? I have never done this in the US.
  • Options
    00 or 01? Black/Black with PIVOTS, right?

Gimme the specs I can give you a #.

I may know buyers for the car actually.

Bill
  • Options
    It's a 01, bought Sept 00. It is white with the light interior. It'd be awesome if you have some suggestions! Thanks. I love the car, and I am torn about selling it, but hey, it's only going to depreciate in a silly way...
  • Options
    Gotcha.

Where you located? I can make some calls for you iof you are in a mad rush...

Or try $59.900ing it.

Bill
  • Options
    Thanks - no huge rush yet. It hasn't been determined when I have to move over, but on the other hand it will probably be before December. I wanted to get things moving, so I had been trying to sell it fr $58.9k - no takers in 6 weeks. I have not been very aggressive about it, though. Maybe I just need to advertise it a bit more.
  • Options
    Shoot. If it was black/black I could get you real close to that wholesale...

It ought to do that easily. Where do you live at? Tried the newspaper?

Also try Yahoo classifieds and you might even try eBaymotors

Bill
  • Options
    Thanks again, Bill.

I am in San Jose, CA. Silicon Valley doesn't seem a very receptive market for luxury cars these days. :-(

Maybe I'll just call my Jag dealer and ask them if they have any ideas.
  • Options
    I'd start shopping it to West Coast Jag dealers. As long as there's nopaintwork or damage.. nonsmoket.. really as new..etc...

Start calling and asking for used car managers...

You might be surprised. New XJRs are generally really close to sticker, so your car should get hurt too badly.

Bill
  • Options
    Truly appreciate your suggestions, Bill. I'll look into that. *So* many things to do when you go for a big move like this again - you all of a sudden realize how much baggage you loaded up in the last few years!
  • Options
    I'd be happy to babysit for you!
  • Options
    Yes, I'll be happy to car sit for you as well. I'll hand you back the keys when you return to the states. Plus I'll wash and wax it every week!

-Rick
  • Options
    Thanks for the utterly unselfish offers. I might have to take them into consideration if time keeps passing as quickly, and I am not able to take care of everything... :-)
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    A couple of months back, I wrote about a '99 supercharged VP I saw advertised at a local dealer. Well, either they got it back or they found another one. I don't know the story yet, all I know is that it is Topaz, has about 20K miles on it, and they want $59.9K. Any thoughts? Can I expect the balance of a 4 year warranty? What, other than general condition, should I look for in deciding whether to go for it? Thanks.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    Perhaps a minimum of $10K off of that price!

That's a fortune for that car... I have bought 99s wholesale (VDP S/Cs that is) this year for under $40K.

Granted, not 20K mile Topaz cars.. but heck, $59,000?

WOW!

Bill
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    I will keep that price in mind when I examine the car. I want one of these in the worst way, but I'm not willing to pay a 20% premium for it. Perhaps I should save my pennies for when the new XJ (or XJ replacement, I don't know if it will be called that) comes out in 2003 or so.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    I spotted a newspaper private ad for a '98 red, XJR with about 36k miles on it (or maybe even more) listed at $49,900.

Me thinks the phone will be mighty quiet at their house, right Bill?
  • Options
    By the way, I was soooo close to your store earlier this week, scooting down the B-line to 4, but we had so much packed into the schedule (5 parks in 5 days) that there was barely time to sleep.
    I did want to catch a peek at that custom blue XJ6 though.

-R