Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Owners: Protege Posse

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Mazda
This discussion is for Protege owners who enjoy discussing other aspects of their lives with friends they've made here at Edmunds.com.

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Did Meade come into the room and join? If so, Meade, how is your wife doing with her pregnancy?
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Well, Meade pops in from time to time, but not with his former regularity. I for one miss his snappy banter, always made me laugh. Also, I thought he was going to start a new job, and he always posted from work. Paul, Meade and I exchanged e-mails about 3 weeks ago, Mrs. M was doing well at that time.

Regards;
    Larry
    How does your wife like your PRO-ES?

-Larry
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    she loves it.. she told me that she can't wait until the weekends when she goes to church to crank it out on the highway to zoom zoom. and how what a differe4nce in the city over the neon. She can actually pass slow people in front of her.

she now has like 2600 miles or slightly more. I think my Altima is jealous abit, but I took her to Orlando on a road trip so hopefully she's better! :) But we love our car. dirty with pollen but hey, what can you do? cut the trees?
    Where do you guys live? I am so envious, "dirty with pollen", my car is dirty with calcium clouride, he he!

-Larry
    Florida... Tampa
    ...are semi-retired and live in Key West!! Guess where, I go on vacation? Hehe! ;-)

-Larry
    Vic, sounds like a neat place to work and live. I love deep sea fishing. I would love to re-locate to the Gulf side of Florida someday!

-Larry
    I've yet to do deep sea fishing. would like to try but the only person iknow interested is about to have a baby so they aren't doing it for some time.
    Last week, I directed several sarcastic posts at maltb. I apologized to him personally and now wish to apologize to anyone who might have noted my posts. Thank you malty, for your understanding.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Hey guys! Yeah, work has been tremendously busy around here, and home life (er, baby classes, painting rooms, assembling cribs, preparing to go from "having a life" to "being a daddy") has been hectic to say the least.

Looks like the ol' Protege will be in the fitting room trying on child seats this weekend!!!

Any recommendations, Larry and other lost-lifers out there?

(Mine's a 2000 ES, by the way.)

Meadeball
    I don't know what to say, I was sure you passed over to cigar heaven or took a new job, hehe. The thing about car seats and baby stuff, the technology and designs are improved every year. Sooo, my son is now five years old, the stuff we used, has been replaced by BETTER/SAFER products. However, I feel your pain, my friend. I know this was discussed back in the old Mazda Protege 6 topic, nevertheless put something under the baby seat to protect the cloth seats in your PRO-ES. BTW, the worst class I attended "back in the day", Breast Feeding 101, yikes!!! Nothing like spending two hours a week, for a month; in a room of scared soon to be first time parents discussing "latching on", "expressing breast milk", "breast pumps", "treating bruised nipples", .... well you get the idea! Holy Mother of all that's good, I was freaking out, lol!!!

-Larry
    ... the Cesarian class was bad! Breastfeeding 101 doesn't start until next month!!!

:)

Meade
    Thank you!!! I really enjoyed the chat last night. Fast and fun, just like driving a Protege. ;-)

-Larry
    I don't know about fast, but it was surely fun. I wouldn't know how driving a Protege is right now, since mine's still in the body shop. :( Hopefully, it will be ready today. I am going to die of boredum soon if they don't come on! :)
    so how have the chats been so far????
    We could have used you last night! We only had about 6 owners chatting, lol!!

-Larry
    I went out last night to do some shopping, and forgot all about the chat room and all. Didn't get back in until 10.20 last night, so I was too late. :(
    ahhhh I forgot about last night.. I am going to have to make it a point next week..
    Brotherinlaw invited us over for food and to watch a movie.. can't refuse free food!!!!
    Paul and Victor, the chat hour goes by really fast. It needs to be at least two hours. I was at work last night,(TGI Friday's) and chatted from the office, hehe!!! I doubt, I can make it next week as I'll be returning from a TGIF business meeting in Dallas Texas. But,... if you think about it; this whole Mazda Protege Owner's Discussion is "ONE BIG CHAT", lol!! It is just not quite real time.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • borgf15borgf15 Member Posts: 29
    I was having problems with my ISP and then old "moderator_dee" kicked me out and i couldn't get back in. It couldn't have been anything I said...i was only there for a couple minutes. Kinda rude!!
    probably a Daewoo owner!!! ;)
  • gitarzangitarzan Member Posts: 66
    I was looking forward to the chat then completely forgot until about 10:45 pm EST. Argh. I was at last weeks for awhile and it was pretty neat.

Towards the end someone suggested moving it over to an IRC channel but I don't think it happened.
    I would try to get an explanation on what the issue was? I know we were all having a nice conversation, then you were gone.
    Well, "I'm leaving on a jet airplane" as the song goes and flying to Dallas, Saturday. noon. I'm going to lose 2 hours of my day Saturday, one for daylight savings time and one for changing time zones, pol!!

-Larry
  • newfie5newfie5 Member Posts: 2
    I contacted EAA based on the informtion posted here and they said that they only have x-pricing, which is 4% over dealer invoice. I also contacted the dealer and the manager said that there is only x-pricing there. Can this be true or is the dealer pulling my leg? Does EAA give actually give you s-pricing after you sign up?
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Someone may have posted not too long ago announcing the newly-available "Plan" for Canadians. I sort of remember that the X-Plan was the Canadian version.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Under Ford, it's called X-Plan and Mazda calls it the S-Plan. On a Mazda dealer invoice, it's labeled as the S-plan price.

Or was that potatoe...where is Dan Quayle when you need him?
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    The Canadian version at Mazda is X-plan even though the EAA web site says something different. Mazda Canada calls it X-plan, and they have sent out information to all of the dealers, so they should all know about it.

Nomi
    Come back Speedy Pete!!! We have missed you here at Edmunds Town Hall. What has Chi Town done to you? Come on Pete, you were "da bomb" my friend, always good for a story.

-Larry
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Anyone else ticked that FOX wants to change Speedvision to only cover Nascar???

Sign the petition!

http://www.petitiononline.com/svsn/petition.html

• kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    NASCAR is so lame and all it seams to be is corporate logos and father and son teams. I like speendvision the way it is because they offer other forms of racing, i.e. World Rally Car Series and those guys who race transport trucks, now that's worth the extra $18 on my cable bill!!
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I'm still around my friend. I just can't access web from work so it's evenings for me for the forseeable future. Thanks for the nice invite and well wishing...collections is chewing me up and spitting me out...

Regards,

Pete
  • orinocofloworinocoflow Member Posts: 11
    I have not posted in quite a while, work has been too busy. How ya doin'? Still have the two Pros? Still at TGIF? We need to get out there real soon. My 2000 ES has only about 5700 miles on it, but it runs great. Ever think about the Tribute? We have an Escape (clone) V6 at work and I've put around 1000 miles on it driving to landfills and other sites we work on. It is a blast to drive and has a very nice motor. Oh well, take care and keep zoomin'.

Gene
    I'm the General Manager at TGI FRIDAY'S in Harrisburg. My manager team and I are working very hard to make our Friday's, the best in our franchise group. Gene, it would be great if you and your family would stop in for a great Jack Daniel's feast. You have an open invitaion for a visit, "including" the Mazda Protege Owners Discount!
    Send me an E-mail, with your home address and I will mail you, some entree cards. Larryisfishin@aol.com

BTW, both my 2000 PRO-ES's have 28,000 miles. I hit a deer with mine last week at the Toll House Road Exit on Route #283, heading home to Lancaster. Hit it at 6:15 pm traveling at 70 mph, yikes. AAA, left me sit until 10:45 pm, I was very very mad. Every time I called them on my cell phone, they promised me; "The Tow Truck is on the way right now." Yea right! Sooo.... my Protege is at the Lancaster Mazda Collision body shop in East Petersburg. They know I'm fussy and promise top-box repairs, hehe! My PRO-ES should be fixed sometime next week.

Please, stop by the restaurant soon. We can catch up on things. I'm also thinking about buying the Winter Tire Package from TireRack.com that you purchased last fall? Got a few question for you.

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • doctor_rdoctor_r Member Posts: 27
    What is this I hear about a winter tire package. I've been trying to find some winter tires for my P5, and it seems nearly impossible. Seems that its hard enough to find many tires 195/50 16. I'm sorry but I don't feel that the dunlops on my car are gonna cut a Saskatchewan winter.

Any idea's out there love to hear em...
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Check Tirerack.com. Typically, they "minus-1" size the tires and wheels for winter (making for a skinnier contact patch...the better for pushing through snow).
  • orinocofloworinocoflow Member Posts: 11
    This time last year I bought a winter tire package from Tirerack for my '00 ES. I did the "downsizing" to 185/60 R14's with Bridgestone Blizzak tires. They delivered the next day after I phoned in the order. The tires worked very well in snow, pretty good in ice. Handling, as expected, was tame compared to OEM Potenzas. I would recommend such a wheel/tire package if snow is a problem in your area. It's nice to be able to wait a little longer to switch tires, since you can put them on the day before snow (if you get the package with the tires already mounted on steel wheels), and you can enjoy the stock handling a little longer.

Gene
    I still do check this forum, so you can leave me "mesages" here. You are going to make all those people in the Jetta forum jealous about the crab dip. :) Glad you liked it though. :)
    No kidding, that stuff is excellent! I was not trying to embarrass you in any way! I was just caught up in the holiday spirit. I feel credit should be given were credit is due. I think of myself, as a pretty good cook and I have added your Cheesy Maryland Crab Dip Appetizer to my entertainment arsenal. Kudos to you, Paul! I hope you and your Dad had a Merry Christmas.

-Larry
    Thanks for the compliments. :) Actually, my ex roommate came up with that recipe. It is good though. At least he was good for something... :)

Hope your family had a wonderful holiday as well, and many more. :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Does anybody use this part of TH anymore?? What's it supposed to be for??
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    When the club first started here, members wanted a place where they could kibitz about subjects other than their Protege. However, it appears the car talk was more of a priority. :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The main topic basically carries more kibitzing than car talk, but very few complain about that.
    You mean this is a place where we can talk about off-topic stuff not directly relating to our Proteges? I wonder why Pat never told us this place existed ... we keep going off-topic over there and get called down for it! Well, thanks! Hold this topic open! I'll go over to the Protege sedans topic and tell everyone to come over here!

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    if we post here, wouldn't that slow down our post count in the regular sedan topic?

i like seeing sedan topic going so high in the post counts!
    I've heard that in fact, many people DO complain about it. So I've gone over to the Protege sedans topic and told everyone to bring their off-topic stuff over here.

I wonder why there hasn't been more direction to lead us over here, instead of just telling us to get back on topic over there? Have I missed something? Have you seen Pat tell us this topic exists? I know I miss things from time to time, especially since I'm absent on weekends, so maybe I'm talking out of my derriere here ...

;-)

Meade
    Are we going for quantity or quality?

Wait ... Don't answer that.

;-)

A challenge, dear friend ... Let's take THIS topic to 10,000 posts! Who's first?

Meade
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    How many Protege owners does it take to change a lightbulb?
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    how many?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    but before he installs the lightbulb, he'll come to edmunds and ask about which brands of bulbs are the best, from which about 30 other posters will recommend 50 different brands, and argue amongst themselves for 300 posts. And then the host will come in telling them to get back on topic and talk about cars. All the while the original owner will just go to the local k-mart and grab a couple bulbs for $5 and put them in in 5 minutes, completely ignoring what he has read on the forum.

there, happy now? :D
This discussion has been closed.