Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus SVT

Comments

• dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Just got around to reading my copy of Sept. Road and Track. They speculate (as many have already in the past) that an all-wheel drive, 240 hp Focus SVT is on the way in a few years.

It's to compete with WRX, EVO, etc. Sounds expensive. It should satisfy all those who have been whining over the current SVT's lack of power, though, eh regfootball? (BTW, most of this really is regurgitated from a car mag ;-) ).

Too bad we probably won't see the Cosworth Focus WRC homologation car here in the US. I guess this is a good substitute.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper journalist is looking to speak with Ford Focus owners by Monday, September 16 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern. If you are interested in sharing your thoughts on your vehicle with a national audience, please contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com with your name, daytime contact information, line of work and city/state of residence.
    Regards,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• szwetchszwetch Member Posts: 2
    Hi--- I'm interested in the SVT Focus and wanted to find out how people who've had one for a while like it. I haven't had a chance to go for a test drive yet. My favorite car I ever had was a '77 Capri II (until my brother totalled it on Storrow Drive in Boston). I thought the SVT Focus might have that feel...or maybe the ZX3 would do it. Thanks for any info.
    Sam
  • scootchscootch Member Posts: 70
    Hello Szwetch,

Welcome to a potential SVT Focus world. This site is rather slow of late so I suggest you try myfordfocus.com or focaljet.com, although there are some historic posts here you should check out. I've owned an SVT Focus for nearly six months and it is a hoot. I don't think you're going to find it too similar to the old Capri II as that was likely a V6 smog motor and was rear drive. But you need to see for yourself. The new one requires premium fuel whereas the old one only required regular but there is a world of difference (all to the better as it should be for a 25-yr newer car!) between the two and I think you'll like the difference. Good hunting.

Scootch
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I was wondering how much people have spent on their Focus SVT?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you had a chance to check with Edmunds' New Vehicle (TMV) Pricing Calculator. This will give you the average cost others are paying for the Focus SVT in your region.

Also, please note: Edmunds' new vehicle TMV prices do not take into account current Manufacuter-to-consumer incentives or rebates; so, you may also want to check Edmunds' Incentives and Rebates section and make any appropriate adjustments. Others here may have more to add.... Good luck.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • szwetchszwetch Member Posts: 2
    Hi Revka---
    I was able to find SVT listed among the Foci for Edmunds TMV pricing.
    Sam
  • antekenanteken Member Posts: 1
    Just to pass along. As of last Friday (this is being written Oct 31, 2002), Ford has instituted a $2,500 or 0% financing that INCLUDES (!) the SVT. I know because I bought one on Saturday! Love it so far. I paid 16,300 for a black SVT with ALL options and that includes shipping. At that price it was a ston-cold steal. We were thinking about the ZX3 but after trying the SVT, it was no contest (besides, my wife loves the heated seats). Get 'em before they're gone!!
    That really makes me want to trade in my mustang.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I'm going to take a closer look when the 5-doors come out. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the rebate will carry over through when the 5-doors SVTs come out.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    According to Motor Trend, the 2004 Focus SVT gets a 225 hp turbocharged Mazda 4 banger.
  • novoqnovoq Member Posts: 26
    special edition Focus SVT in Spring

http://media.ford.com/events/2002_SEMA.cfm

• novoqnovoq Member Posts: 26
    Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine has named the Ford Focus ZX3 “Best in Class” among cars priced under $16,000 in its December 2002 Special Auto Issue.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13661

• drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Also the Focus is currently under a probe investigation from NHTSA.

Ford has not been able to make this car right from a quality and reliability standpoint...too bad.
  • tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    The Ford website lists svt focus as excluded from $2,500 rebate. Any comments?
  • jroger19jroger19 Member Posts: 27
    If you are reading this message you may be interested in purchasing the SVT Focus. If so, here is my take on the car after over 5000 miles.

This is truely a great car. Every time I drive it I smile because I managed to purchase an incredibly fun to drive and practical car for very little money, relatively speaking. When I got the car I also had a Jaguar XJR--which stayed in the driveway once I got the Focus. It is that much fun to drive.

From a practicality perspective there are no issues. I have three small children ranging from 8 to 4 years old, and the all fit in the back seat comfortably. Cargo capacity is fine.

I have had nothing at all go wrong with the car in the first 5000 miles.

But did I say it fun to drive? Easy to shift, not tiring even in LA traffic. Six speeds are great. Lot of power--I am not sure I would even want more in a front drive car. Braking and handling very good. Cornering at the limit very predictable; no snap oversteer, just a nice drift; it is hard to believe from a handling perspective that this is a front drive car.

I would recomend this car to anyone who really likes to drive and does not need their car to be a status symbol.
  • reallybobreallybob Member Posts: 29
    Some of us look at our Focuses as status symbols!

LOL!
  • crissj91crissj91 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my SVT July 4th. On Aug 15th I took it in to the dealer because it would die everytime I flashed the high beams. While it was in the shop, the doors locked shut and could not be unlocked, the intake cracked and pieces fell out, the idle control valve broke, and the domelight/power mirrors quit working. After a long 72 days in the shop, I finally got it back. The domelight still does not work properly and the car's idle fluctuates all the time. The dealer states the the idle is supposed to fluctuate from 700 to 2000 rpm at any given time--they are full of it, I know because I am a certified tech and ASE cert.

If anyone has had any of these problems or other similar problems with the SVT or the regular Focus, please post them or email me at- mopar9285@excite.com -as I am filing a lawsuit against Ford for breach of contract and the Lemon Law. Thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    That's a helluva list of problems. Could look at the bright side - it all happened at once and at the shop rather than leaving you stranded a number of times.

Its pretty damned funny your email is "mopar", but you bought a Ford and had all these problems with it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

interesting
    to let you know about our new Ford Focus ZX3/SVT vs. Honda Civic discussion. If you have any insights to share on this subject, please join us there. Thanks for your participation.

And now back to the subject of the Ford Focus SVT.

Revka

Host

• hsohso Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know the dealer rebate(not customer rebate of $2,500) on 02' SVT Focus?? Thnaks in advance.
  • harbornoleharbornole Member Posts: 2
    An outstanding handling car. I can't beleive it's FWD. We order the 5 door for my wife's use, but I'll get to drive it every once in a while. My wife's present ride is a Suzuki Grand Vitara, so this is quite a change for her. The SVT Focus is just the type car she had hoped to find. I've got a Lightning and an XJR, so when her 5 door arrives, we'll have a full stable of performance vehicles. The Suzuki just didn't seem to fit in with the other two vehicles, but it was a very dependable vehicle and served us well as did her Sidekick before that.
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    Hey you SVT owners out there, could you report on your real-world fuel economy? Have a Civic EX coupe now, and it gets 36-37mpg. Looking to trade it for the Focus, but I don't want my gas bill to go up that much - the wife will kill me.
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    I get only 22-26 mpg in my ordinary ZX3... suburban driving on Long Island...stick shift...very, very few quick starts. You may have a problem with the wife.
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    Yes, I've heard bad thing too about the mpg of these cars as they seem more in the league of 6 cylinder engines in this regard.

Want a sporty hatchback for less than 20k with good mileage? Try a base RSX w/ a 5 speed which will return, according to the EPA, 27 city and 33 highway. I think its the most fuel efficient, not to mention reliable, hot hatch out there today.

I went with a GTI 1.8t which still gets for me an acceptable 27 mpg on mid grade gas.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Even though I know we're getting off topic, the Civic Si has the same engine as the RSX and costs a lot less. It's slightly less fuel efficient, but equally reliable and a lot cheaper.
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    - a longer warranty
    - hypothetically better resale value in being an Acura
    - according to surveys better service through Acura dealers
    - better mileage
    - automatic climate control
    - 16" alloy wheels standard
    - standard side air bags
    - more torque
    - optional leather
    - a nicer interior(IMHO)
    - and is much, much nicer to look at (again in my opinion).

Especially for shoppers that aren't enamored with the SI's looks(worst looking hatchback sold in America? - too bad we can't do a poll here) and want to upgrade the wheels anyway the base RSX is definitely a "must-consider."
    Those things are all true, however, you can buy an Si for $15-16,000 right now, which is probably $3-4,000 less than you can get a base RSX. I test drove both, but I didn't think the RSX was worth the extra money.
    After much negotiation with the dealer, my fiancee and I are trading in our 2002 Civic Si coupe (EX to you US folks) for a loaded sonic blue Focus SVT. I was sick of having my head jammed against the headliner in the Civic - and I am only 6ft tall!
    We managed to get $1500 off the price of the Focus, almost retail price for the trade in Civic, in addition to a $2500 tax savings. Went with the 1.9% lease for 36 months, as the total cost to buy in the end was $2300 less than a 60 month loan at 5.9%.
    Look forward to giving a full report on the Focus after some ownership time. Was impressed with the power, ride and steering on the test drive. And the audiophile sound system rocks! My biggest concern is how much fuel this car will use compared to the Civic. Time will tell.
    Canadian Si = US Civic EX?
    Canadian SiR = US Civic Si?
    You are correct Muffin Man.
    Interesting...

So how do you like your car so far? You know, I haven't even had the opportunity to sit in an SVT.
    Well, I have to say, I love this car! We have put on over 340km in the 1.5 days of ownership.
    The car rides amazingly well - better than the Civic, even though the Focus has 45 series tires vs. the Civic's 65 series. The handling appears to be awesome, although the temperature has been below freezing, so I haven't pushed the car yet. The engine is great - lots of torque at low RPM for regular driving, with a nice pull at high RPM. Sounds good too, but not too loud for cruising. The heated seats are nice in the cold weather. The audiophile sound system is really sweet, clear and loud. The seats are comfortable and supportive, and even the back seat is good for me - I'm 6ft tall. I like the remote audio controls and how the sunroof open wide.
    The only thing that might be bad is the fuel economy, but I will have to wait until after break-in to comment on that.
    I really need to go drive one.
  • cvtulleycvtulley Member Posts: 1
    Hi, enjoy the board, bought a silver focus svt for $5000 of list, am definitely happy with car. It had been sitting on the dealers lot her in Sacramento for a while and they needed to move it. I also added the 72 month ford premium warranty for $1100, was that a mistake?? It is incredible how well it handles.
    see you on the road.

cvtulley
    We look forward to hearing more details.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • harbornoleharbornole Member Posts: 2
    It's hard not to be impressed with the SVT Focus. One drive and you will probably be hooked. I hate FWD, but this car doesn't seem like a FWD car.
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    Also just purchased a new 02 SVT with moonroof and Audiofile package. Lot of car for 16K if it just holds up......so far, so good and lots of fun. Awfully solid feeling compared to our 99 Civic SI. Doors thunk and the ride is really good for how well this thing handles. First round mileage was 25mpg, only 1mpg lower than my 2000 ZX-3. Happily surprised since Ford rates them at only 21 to 26 I believe. Getting faster with each drive (only 335 miles) and the gearbox shifting is feeling smoother as well.
    I own a Focus SVT and had the chance to drive a Cooper S yesterday for a substantial road test. It is interesting just how similar those two cars are in terms of driving experience. Power is very similar, torque curve seems similar,breaking similar, handling similar, etc. Key difference on the road is that the Cooper S with sport package is tighter. As a result, you feel every imperfection in the road in the Cooper S, which is not the case with the Focus SVT--I would give the Focus the advantage here. Body roll is greater on the Focus, which puts it at a disadvantage for me. Overall a tie for driving experience.

Other differences? Constant supercharger whine in the Cooper, which you either enjoy or not. Much more stylish/busy interior for the Cooper; again a matter of taste. Very thick steering wheel on the Cooper, and very oversized shifter knob, which seemed strange to me although I have large hands. Interior space seems larger with the Focus. Seats similar. More head room in the Focus. The Cooper gets style points, just because of its styling and the fact that it cannot be taken for a non-sporting car.

Net, if you looking for a great driving experience save your money and buy the Focus SVT. If you need the latest and greatest in terms of style/coolness and have extra money to spend, then buy the Cooper S.
    To bc01cls- Congratulations on your new 02 SVT! Thanks for sharing the details.

To Dmould- Sorry, I missed you the first time around. Meant to say congratulations a while back. Thanks for returning to post your initial impressions. We look forward to hearing more....

To jroger19- Thanks for your notes. Also, feel free to start up a new "Mini Cooper vs Ford Focus SVT" discussion on the Hatchbacks board if you'd like. I think it would be an interesting topic of discussion.

Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    We have had the Focus for a month now, and it has been fun. We haven't been able to afford snow tires for the car yet, so the car has sat out the snowy weather while my 4x4 Ranger has been used. I got my first taste of the Focus in above freezing weather last week, and was impressed with the handling. I can't wait for Spring to come to really try it out!
    The engine still impresses with its low end torque, and feels good even if you shift at less than 4000 rpm in daily driving. The car does use quite a bit of gas - our best tank has gone 330 miles, the worst was 270 miles to empty. The car is great for passing, with very good midrange and top end pull.
    I will update in a month. Thanks Revka
    dmould......just curious on how many gallons you needed to top off tank. You getting around 23 to 25 mpg?? If you mix in a little "low rpm cruising" your mileage will jump up a bit. Thanks Revka, I'll try to post usefull stuff from time to time.....our family has 3 first year build cars which, so far, have been very good.
    02 SVT Focus (too new to tell)
    01 Acura CL Type S
    02 Ram QuadCab 1500
    Those tanks were pretty much right to empty, so the tank took 13 US Gal or so. Thats only 21 - 25mpg! Please note that we live near Ottawa, Ontario, where the temperature has been below freezing for 3 months now. Also, the car only has about 1800 miles on it. Mixed city and highway driving.
    Hopefully the mileage will improve significantly when the car is broken in, and the weather is warm!
    You're getting what the Factory Window Sticker says. Since it's cold I hear that gasoline formulas are "re-engineered" for cold weather, causing lousier mileage. A lot of guys on the FocalJet site report higher mpg with the "RLA6 Flash", an update/TSB (#03-04-04) that Ford is doing. Basically the car's computer is re-programmed from RLA1 or RLA2 (Sticker located in passenger door hinge area) to the latest settings to help with cold idle surging and stumbling. It's getting mixed reviews but most say their miles per gallon are up. I have RLA2 and mine is getting 23.5 to 25 in around town driving (700 miles on it) so maybe I'll hold off on the reflash.
    Here in sunny Southern California I get about 22 MPG in mixed highway/urban driving. I do drive enthusiastically, but I expect most who buy this car do!
    We now have about 3500 miles on the Focus SVT. With the weather getting a little warmer, the mileage has improved into the 23-26mpg range, mixed city and country driving. This car is a ton of fun to drive enthusiastically, so that no doubt contributes to it using a fair bit of gas. I am sure it could get 30mpg if you kept the speed to 65mph on a long, flat highway drive.
    The car had it's first service, including the free SVT wash and vacuum. The check engine light was on, turned out that the gas cap wasn't sealing properly, got a new one. Running good on the RLA1 software!
  • dmc1648dmc1648 Member Posts: 4
    I've been looking at cars lately. My top choice is the Focus SVT. I haven't been able to find one within 120 miles of Orlando for less than $20k. When I do various searches, I can only find them at $16K or so when we go out to 700 or more miles from here.
    If I could find one at the lower end of that spectrum, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    dmould- Thanks for the vehicle update! Glad to hear your SVT is serving you well. We appreciate hearing all the details. ;-)

To Everyone- Anyone else have a vehicle update to share? It would be nice to see some more in here. For those interested, you could list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.
    2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?
    3. Any additional accessories & mods?
    4. Maintenance issues to date.
    5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?
    6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your vehicle since you first purchased...

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other Focus SVT owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful.

Also, as dmould has been doing, you can report back every once in a while to update again. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • nickg5nickg5 Member Posts: 16
    Hi there,

Which dealer in Sacramento was discounting?
    I may be interested in a 4 door one if they have one.

Cheers

Nick