Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus SVT

Comments

• borowskyborowsky Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone (Focus owners) REPLACED their factory installed radio with an XM or Sirius Ready
    radio? If so, which brand fits in the Focus?
    Upgraded the speakers??
  • aew71aew71 Member Posts: 3
    I recently had my rear quarter window broken out of my month-old 2003 Focus SVT Hatchback. It cost $400 to replace! It this normal?

Otherwise, I am loving it. Only thing I get frustrated by is the manual seat controls on the 2 door-they're confusing, and take two hands to get it pushed forward so your passenger can get in back. Then they stay forward, so you have to fidget with them to put it back. Fortunately I'm short (5'2"), so I guess the minor annoyance is nothing to the fun and ease of this car.
  • lvmlvm Member Posts: 6
    I was interested in this car but just can't understand why its gas mileage (21/25) is equal or worse than the Ford Escape 3L V6 automatic(22/25 from Ford website).

It's about 800 lbs. lighter (2675 vs. 3457), has 30 less horsepower (170 vs. 200), 5" less overall length, more aerodynamic profile, manual vs. automatic, 4cyl vs 6, and less torque (145 vs 200). Must be an ancient engine.

Why not just build it with the same engine as the Escape (originally from Taurus?) and improve power? To boot, you wouldn't have to use premium gas if you were following by the book. If it weren't for my tiny garage I would get the Escape in a heartbeat.

puzzled,
    lvm
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The gas mileage you have listed for the Escape is not for the V6 (I know this because I own a V6 Escape). What you have listed up there is most likely the 2.0L Zetec's mileage for the Escape. The V6 is actually 18/23, but would be better in the Focus if the engine fits. I don't imagine it does though.

Anyway you do have a point and the poor fuel mileage coupled with the premium fuel requirement is one of the big reasons I'm trying to stay away from the SVT. I can buy a Mustang GT coupe for about the same price, have better performance (although not handling), get better gas mileage, and only be required to run cheaper 87 octane.

The SVT 5-door is hard to resist though. ;)
  • lvmlvm Member Posts: 6
    good catch, baggs32. you also have a good point about the 5-door. when i saw it on the lot next to the 3-door i started thinking, why not just get this instead? it does look like the 3-dr has longer doors that would make entry/exit easier.
  • broncogradbroncograd Member Posts: 1
    LVM,
    I own a 2002 SVT Focus with 3,300 miles. I've been satisfied with the mileage I've gotten. The 21 figure is accurate for city driving. However I've attained 30 on longer trips with the cruise on. Even though I have it for sale, its a great little car. Not enough room for me.
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    My SVT Focus is up to about 9000 miles. In the warmer spring weather, I have been getting about 27mpg in mixed city/highway driving. I can go about 340 miles on a tank of gas, and that includes a trip to the redline almost daily! You will not get that kind of mileage in a 3.0L Escape, or a Mustang GT driven in a similar fashion. The Mustang will only acheive the rated fuel economy when driven like a grandma, which is really hard to do with all the V8 power! The Mustang is only quicker than the Focus SVT in acceleration. In any other performance measurement, the SVTF will eat the 'stang. I drove my SVTF in a Solo II autocross competition last weekend, and was beating the Mustang GTs by several seconds my first time out. Here in Canada, a loaded SVT Focus is about $3000 less than a base Mustang GT. The Focus is smaller on the outside, but bigger on the inside and can handle people more comfortably in the back seat and more cargo.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Wednesday I brought my Protegé5 into Graponne VW/Mazda in Concord, NH for an oil change. I had the baby boy so I needed to keep him{cough}me busy. So I slathered him up in sunscreen (babies burn!) and plopped him in his stroller with his big floppy hat and off we went.

They share a giant lot with their Honda, Ford, and Hyundai showrooms.

First stop was the MazdaSpeed Protegés. They had a few. In person, I found the tangerine color garish and unattractive. The gray was much nicer. Still... I wasn't enthused about the design. The body kit seemed overdone and the interior treatment was gaudy. I love my Protegé, and have heard great things about the performance of the MSP, but visually, it left me cold. The wheels seemed over-large and the design pushed a lot of precious alloy out way past the rubber.

Next was over to the Ford dealer, and SVT affiliate. They had 2 SVT Foci outside: A black 3-door, and a red 5-door. Love at first site. :)

The visual additions are spot-on! Subtle body kit, subtle monochromatic paint scheme, small round driving lights. The wheel and tire package looked awesome, not to big, but not too small, minimal wheel gap, great design.

The interior was everything I like about the regular Focus, but kicked up a notch. Tasteful red and black Recaro-like sports seats, lots of nice aluminum trim... seat.

Everything that was "wrong" to me about the MSP was "right" on the SVT Focus.

Last stop was 3 new Honda Civic SI Hatchbacks in the center of the Honda lot. A blue, a white and a black, all with black and red interiors. All marked down to the mid 17's.

I happen to think this is a good looking little car and a ton of value at it's selling price. I had a '93 Civic HB that I loved and this reminds me of that one. Unfortunately a 2 door won't be in the cards for me for a long, long time.

Though a bit under-tired, they look like a screaming deal on paper. Love the interior, simple and clean but with that funky shifter adding some flare. Good looking seats too.

So it was a reasonably entertaining morning. Walking around kept me, and the boy, entertained and I got to check out some cars I hadn't seen yet. I am most assuredly not in the market for a new car, and certainly not one that is smaller then what I have now. But the Focus SVT 5-door appealed to me the most. So much so that I can't stop thinking about it. ;)

Obviously, with the boy, I couldn't drive anything though. :( oh well.
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    I went to Metro Ford in Miami Florida to check on the 5-door SVT Focus, my ride until then was a 02 Focus ZTW. Ran into a very eager and helpful salesman who took me for a long test drive (they should called them taste drive). Half way through the drive I realized that there was no way I could go back to the station wagon, which by the way, gave me 13,000 trouble free miles in 11 months (a month before I visited another Ford dealer leaving with a very bad taste in my mouth as the sales lady refused to even show me an SVT Focus, insisting instead in getting me into an Explorer Sport which I don't particularly care for. Their loss!)

Metro Ford I must ad, offered a very persuasive discount plus the cash back (!!) an other incentives I wasn't even aware of bringing the sales price down to a little over $17,000. I am taking about a 5-door, in pitch black with every option available (the winter package as you can imagine is very useful here in South Florida). I particularly like the HID Headlights and the Audiophile sound system. Insurance only went up $11 a month.

Today, 5 days later I couldn't enjoy my drive any more than I do. I feel am riding in a sophisticated, well conceived and even better built machine. One part of the enjoyment is the anonymity. Only those who know about cars grace me with their glances and in this day and age you most agree this is a very good thing.

I love this car.
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    Well I still have it so I guess that says something!! Currently have 6225 miles and other than a squeaking seat from time to time (have lubed hinge points as per suggestions) and a little bogging with the air on, it still is a blast to drive. No problems at all, which for Ford is saying something. Mileage on road trip to Austin and back got 30-31mpg. Sound system makes me want to listen to music, not talk radio. Still happy I bought it for 16K. A lot for that kind of money.
  • jroger19jroger19 Member Posts: 27
    Well, my SVT Focus, which I love, has been in the shop three weeks awaiting parts. It started with the "check engine" light going on. I took the car in assuming this was a minor electrical issue but it turns out the mechanical parts that make the two stage intake manifold work had broken. To fix this you need a new intake manifold. It further turns out that the old part (the original manifold) had been discontinued and that the new part (I presume a redesigned manifold) is not now available. I cannot get a clear answer as to when it will be available. Even SVT seems not to know. What is clear however is that this is a common problem; there are at least 250 other owners waiting for this part, I am told. I am sure Ford is trying to fix my problem but when you are looking at the fourth week without your car "trying" does not help much.
    Just a couple of questions:
    1. When was your car built?
    2. Was there any other malfunction than the "check engine" light going on?
    I am just curious whether my car has the new or the old intake manifold. My car was built in May 2003 and is a great ride, but when is cold the engine hesitates a bit and the battery light goes on. I wander if this is related to your problem as I have heard and read that is a common problem for the SVT Focus. I had a 2002 Focus ZTW and never experinced any of this.
    I have been wanting to register my car in the myford.com web site. I had my previous cars (2001 Mustang Convertible and 2002 Focus ZTW) registered in this web site which is a great resource to keep track on your maintenance. The site keeps on rejecting my SVT Focus VIN saying that it is not a Ford VIN. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their SVT Focus?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' Maintenance Guide? You can look up the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule plus any available recall or (TSB) technical service bulletin information for your vehicle model/year. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • jroger19jroger19 Member Posts: 27
    My car was a July 2002 build. Everything is now fixed, except sunroof that the dealer could not fix. I will take the car to the local SVT dealer for that. I too have the mystery ssea stains; I thought my kids were the problem!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Ford is suspending production of the SVT Focus and there will be no SVT Ford vehicles at all for 05. None.
    http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0311/23/b02-332341.htm
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Actually there will be an '04 SVT Focus. I just went to my local SVT dealer yesterday and they already had an '04 SVT 3-door for sale.

The article says they're killing the model next year which says to me they are done AFTER the 2004 MY production run. Get em while they last!
    Production is suspended. There are 04 Focus SVT that are completed and at dealers. That will be it. No more 04. And, there will be none produced in calendar year 04. Only current orders are being completed.
    For 05 no SVT vehicles. For 06, no SVT Focus.
  • boldenwh1boldenwh1 Member Posts: 2
    Some say I lost my mind when I traded a 00 Civic SI coupe for a Focus. I have to explain that the SVT is not your avg Focus. I can honestly say that the SVT beats the Civic SI when considering all factors and options. Yes, the SI has the build quality, reliability, resale but I do not for one second feel that I made a mistake. The driving feel of the SVT lets me feel that I AM driving (hard to explain). Anyway, I got tired of Honda conservatism! No traction control, no ABS, 15 inch rims, no leather, bland styling, I even had to purchase white gauge background when all other companies are standard. The SVT has traction control, 4 wheel ABS, 17 inch rims, leather seats (also heated), 6 spd tranny, 6 disc in-dash cd, tilt/telescopic steering wheel and the list goes on. The SVT engine is similar to the VTEC of the SI. A look at the dyno for HP is a good hint. Even the redline is pretty darn close. The SVT redline is higher than all except Acura/Honda and Rotary engines. Another example is the Vortech Supercharger. The one for the SI is said to make 277 hp. The one for the SVT is said make 276 hp! The change from the coupe to hatchback was another bonus since Honda went downhill with the new SI. I love Honda, but they need to do a lot of catching up with the rest of the sport compacts factory hot rods. If they don't bring in the Civic Type R soon, all will be lost. I was on my way to building up the SI but realized starting with the SVT, half the work was already done. Now with a 6 spd Getrag, 17 Rims, factory tweaked engine and suspension (even a 160 speedo) I only have to add the Quaife ATB, Vortech Supercharger and some minor appearance items to complete the total package.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    so, many of you SVT drivers are over 30? According to mr. logic the SVT is not an appropriate car for someone not of youth. So far as to even call the SVT a childish vehicle.

Be interested in knowing what makes the SVT so inappropriate for someone like me, 35 y.o. with a new kid, wants a fun to drive car with some utility.

It seems as though its socially unacceptable for someone like me to drive a car with two toned seats and fancy gauges.
  • andrew_uscgandrew_uscg Member Posts: 1
    I am 20 years old, and recently purchased an end-of-the year '03 SVT 4door. I have owned 4 cars before this, and this is definitely the best car ever. For the price (under 20k), you get an unbelievable deal, and an amazing performance vehicle. I had been looking at many different cars, and almost bought a WRX for 26k, but decided I didn't need to spend that much. The moment I test drove the SVT, I knew I had to have it! It handles like a professional rally car, has plenty of HP for speed buffs, and by far the best part is the new age interior; 6-disc audio system w/subwoofer, heated leather trim seats, automatic moonroof/sunroof, 6-speed getrag, etc. If you're looking for a car that offers the most fun, this is definitely your car. With many mods and aftermarket products, the sky's the limit for these little speedsters. You'll look good driving it, and feel good as well. Bottom Line: An absolutely amazing vehicle; there's a reason foci have been rated 10 best cars 5 years and a row ( Car and Driver)
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    There are a few dealers in my area who still have 2003 SVT's on the lot. It looks like a 5 door with moonroof, winter package, audiophile stereo system and HID headlights can be had for about 16,000. The sticker price is $21,745. This is looking quite tempting to me. And also, what are the changes on the car for 2004? It looks like different wheels and that's about it. I took a test drive yesterday and was impressed. The only negatives I saw was it takes too long for the rpm's to drop between shifts, and it is on the noisy side at highwway speeds. All in all, it seems to be a steal at that price, what do you all think?
    If you do not purchase the SVT 5dr email me the dealer contact details. I'm interested in it at $16K. My email is in my profile.
    that was the exact same deal available here in MN when I was casually looking 6 weeks ago.

I was tempted too. My only reservation about the SVT is its lack of engine refinement. Please keep in mind that was compared to a back to back test drive of a new Mazda 3. The PZEV Focus is a version of the Mazda 3 motor.
    anyone care to comment on the recaro seats with the euro pkg? Are they a bit narrow for a wide butt like me? The std SVT seats are comfy.
  • the_manthe_man Member Posts: 15
    The standard seats sure are comfortable. I like the look of the Recaro's more, but i haven't sat in thoes particular seats. Recaro's are typically very comfortable and supportive. I've sat in them in an Audi and the EVO and they fit my rear very well (I wear size 38 pants in mens). The recaro seats are made for touring, so they won't be as narrow as racing seats and they wont save weight like racing seats.
    I stoped at a Ford dealer today and sat in the Recaro Seats in the fouus and they felt small to me an not as comfortable as the standard seat. There was too much side bolstering. DO NOT get the European package.
    the recaros felt narrow to me, when i sat in them.

but the regular seats are mostly cloth. the regular SVT seats are COMFY though.

what is the reliablity scorecard of the SVT Focus?

other question.......does installing the jackson racing superchager void the factory warranty? Will dealers install the supercharger?

thanks
  • sparky56sparky56 Member Posts: 8
    While bargain shopping found the wife a 2003 5 door SVT. Lots to like, but wind noise is annoying. Is there a remedy other than turning the stereo up?
  • boldenwh1boldenwh1 Member Posts: 2
    I am very close to purchasing a supercharger for the SVT Focus and have done some extensive reading on both. Bottom line is actually a cost difference($2K) and power difference(50whp) between JR and Vortech. The Vortech would be best if Quaife ATB was installed. As far as the warranty goes, a Vortech rep informed me that Ford would have to prove that the supercharger directly caused a part to fail but would not void warranty upon installation. The JR supercharger is in the Fords Performance bin and should have been used by Ford from the start. They actually help JR build it for the SVT. There is a good video on the JR Webpage with Oscar Jackson talking about the Supercharger for the SVT if you have not seen it already. http://www.jacksonracing.com/pages/presspass.html
    Unless you want to spend some serious cash, you can't do anything about the wind noise. However, you could cover the car in the soundproffing foam that is used in recording studios. Your car would lok absolutly horible,but it might lessen the noise.
  • dean202dean202 Member Posts: 1
    The Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog quotes performance figures for the JR SVTF supercharger as only a 30 HP increase and 9 lbs ft torque increase. It also appears that Jackson Racing has removed the performance figures and video for the SVTF supercharger from their website. Does anyone know the correct performance figures?
  • gregor1022gregor1022 Member Posts: 10
    I currently own a 2000 Focus ZX3 and love it. But I've been thinking that it needed a few improvements (mostly more power) and the SVT looks like it does that pretty well.

I test drove a left-over red 3-door 2003 SVT (loaded with every option except the Euro Appearance Package) yesterday and was quoted a price of $15,235.97 (after the $3,000 rebate). The dealer seemed very eager to move this car and even said I could "get rid of his 03 SVT for him". I know this a good deal, but HOW good is my question? Should I go back and haggle some more? Any help/suggestions/comments???
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Goodness does that sound like a good deal!!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Does that price include your trade in? If so, no way - if that price is a cash price for the SVT, it is good, but remember you are buying a one-year-old car that has been dropped by Ford. If it has a lot of demo miles, I'd pass on it. If you were to buy it and immediately drive it to another dealership and ask for a trade in value, I bet you'd be quoted something like $10K. Sad, but true.
  • gregor1022gregor1022 Member Posts: 10
    basically a cash price since they were giving me exactly what I owe on my current Focus. I did some more research and you're right Silver Bullet - it isn't that great of a price.

I can go get a 2002 Focus SVT for over $5,000 less. And that's for one with low mileage (under 20K).

Unfortunately Fords just don't hold their value. I think I'll wait a year and grab an '03 for under $10,000.
  • bc02svtbc02svt Member Posts: 3
    gregor1022.....that was a decent price if you do better in the trade. I had a 2000 ZX-3 that I bought from my dealer and when I returned to extend the warranty he wanted to sell me the SVT. He low balled me too and I walked. I told them to buy back my 2000 ZX-3 for what I paid,$6,600 and not a penny less. Took me 2 days but he did it and now I enjoy the SVT. Resale isn't great (only paid 16K) but is getting better now that production has ceased. Personally I don't care because I plan on keeping this car--way too much fun and features for the $$$.
  • dgsdgs Member Posts: 20
    Hey guys, my local Ford dealership is getting what will probably be one of the last 2004 SVT's. It's a ZX5 in silver, and it has audiophile, HID's, sunroof, and winter package. Invoice on the car is $20,443. The dealership said they will let me have the car for invoice, minus whatever rebate Ford has at the time. They should be getting the car in about a month. Do you think that is a good deal? If they get the car in March, the rebate is only $1,500. They don't know what the rebates will be in April yet.

I'm also contemplating just getting a 5-speed ZX5, the PZEV version with all the goodies (leather, ABS, side airbags, weather package). It would be cheaper by a couple of grand, and I don't need to use premium gas. But the SVT is so tempting. I hope Ford has good rebates in April. You guys got the car for dirt cheap. There must have been some awesome rebates when you got your SVT, it seems like many of you got the car for $16K. I hope I can do as well.
  • ramon1ramon1 Member Posts: 15
    I am considering a 5-door SVT Focus with the cold-weather-pkg, moonroof, HID's, and audiophile pkg. Price, after $2K rbate, is $18.8K.

I'm not sure this car is worth $19K.

I would like other opinions, especially from SVTF owners, regarding the price-value tradeoff of the SVTF. Is it worth $19K?
  • formulagigiformulagigi Member Posts: 1
    HI all
    I just bought a BRAND NEW 2004, not 2003, Silver Focus SVT with every single options available including European Package for 16.9k and the sticker was 22.7k. that's over 25% in discount! Dealers ALL need to move cars out and are dying due to expanding inventories. THEY will deal to get rid of the car. This was a great deal especially loaded as it is for car in its last year.
    The car is unbelievable for the money! 6 in Dash CD 390W with 6 speakers, amp and sub!, RECARO Leather seats, traction control, heated mirrors and seats, heated engine block, Great RIMS and handling that woould put 50k cars to shame!!!!
    I love the seats no matter what some people said on these postings, they are much better than the regular one with cloth, with MUCH BETTER lateral support which is KEY in a sports car. I am 6-2 and over 220 lbs, I FIT and love the support and adjustments available.
    The cra is a littl enoisy at high RPM but on the highway in 6th at 75, noise is minimal for such a car!
    At this price you can't ask for more, if you complain spend more on a nicer car and maybe not so sport oriented. FORD as hard as it is to admit
    DID a great job with this car in all areas considering the price! Value is as good as it gets! Just the handling is amazing and worth the cash.
    I am definitely thinking of small upgrades like air intake, chip, tinted windows and adding Sirius radio soon.
    What is the best way to go with Supercharger for performance without voiding the warranty? Does anyone have acceleration numbers and such for the Jackson Racing kit? I would liek to compare with stock to see the value.
    What would you recommend as a first easy and cheap upgrade?

Thanks
  • reilsreils Member Posts: 3
    Hey, Gigi ... how did you find that deal? I also live in NC and have my eyes on a 2004 SVT Focus 5-door in CD Silver with the Euro Package. I was planning to offer invoice minus the rebate, but it sounds like you got a *way* better deal. Any tips on how I can get it for less? It seems almost criminal to offer $17K for that car ...
  • jonjonjonjon Member Posts: 1
    I've been thinking about getting a regular ZX2 FOcus for the better gas mileage, but when I went look at them I got offered a sweat deal. The salesman said he could give me the car for $5000 off of Invoice, not sticker, invoice.

So I want to ask, what kind of real world fuel mileage does it get? Does it effect the mileage a lot when you drive it harder, or fast? My truck is for work and I have to get keep it, but when I get on the highway and go over 70 MPG it goes down to 10 MPG. Also, I'd like to know about any problems you've experienced with your cars.

Thank you for your help.
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    In the summer months, I get about 340 - 375 miles per tank in my FSVT. I usually drain the tank pretty well to where it takes 12-13 US gallons to fill. So thats 26-29mpg in real world commuting to work. About 75% highway, with the other 25% city/stop and go driving. The car gets decent, if not great fuel mileage. Don't forget, this car requires premium fuel!
    It does use more gas in the winter months when the temperature is below freezing.
    I am lucky if I get 280 miles per tank in mine. Could it be something wrong with it? or am I way too lead foot? I do obey speed limits 99% of the time but I sometimes find my self revving kind of high and enjoying the punch... isn't that why we have this car anyway?
  • tegwjtegwj Member Posts: 51
    I just took delivery of a silver Euro-pkg '04 SVTF ZX5 on Saturday. It was the only Euro ZX5 I could find anywhere in the greater SF Bay Area, I checked every dealer's inventory online. Several ZX3's left however, including a couple '03 models.

Anyway I paid ~$380 over invoice before the $3k rebate. I know it's not as aggressive a deal as some have gotten but it was the start of the month so I was prepared to give a little in order to get it done. Very pleased with the car so far. I'm a big guy -- 6'5", 265 lbs -- and while the Recaros are definitely snug, the lateral support they provide is excellent.

I'm interested to hear the comments about wind noise. The car isn't a big Lexus but I find its noise levels very low given the aggressive summer tires, firm suspension tuning, etc. My wife's '03 ZX5 PZEV is a bit quieter due to less tire roar but both cars are excellent to my ears.

So far, no complaints, hope it stays that way!
  • quattroquattro Member Posts: 110
    280 miles/tank. That's about the best that I could get. I do about 85% highway and I go 80mph most of the time. The SVT wants to be driven fast (but safely of course) and it's such a blast. I wish the highway mileage could be better.
    For those who are thinking of getting the SVT. Get it and you won't be disappointed. With the rebate and deep dealer discount it has got to be the best deal in the automobile universe.
    I have driven extensively or owned Saab, Audi TT, BMW330ci and other European makes and I have to say this is the more fun car to drive. The feedback and handling is awesome and it doesn't have all those gimmicky electronics (stability control, variable ratio steering, etc) that take the fun out of driving.
    In terms of reliability, mine is a 02 and I have 18k miles on it. Not much problem just one time the engine warning light came on. Dealer fixed it and smooth driving afterwards.
    While the SVT Focus might not be a financial success for Ford it is an absolutely success in terms of attracting car enthusiasts back to the Ford brand and the other brands under the Ford empire. Who knows, one day when I win the Lotto I might get an Aston Martin and the SVT Focus would be a factor in the purchase.
    Too bad Ford won't make the SVT after this year. Long live the SVT Focus.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Read post # 147 & 148:

creakid1, "Ford Focus vs. Mazda3" #147, 12 Dec 2004 2:33 am

W/ the bigger more-refined Mazda engine, who needs the 6-sp?

& why I bought the ST instead of the SVT:

creakid1, "Ford Focus vs. Mazda3" #163, 17 Dec 2004 2:41 am

"I bought this "playful puppy" for this sole purpose! & why wait till '05? Because when the SVT was introduced earlier, I wanted to to get rid of the hatch's narrow rear visibility, the shortened suspension travel, & the Ford-developed engine. & this '05 ST took care of all that! It's like a dream came true, & the CR 2005 future car issue also rated the '03 & '04 w/ "above average reliability", so it's safe to buy & COLLECT this car for a long time."
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "I stoped at a Ford dealer today and sat in the Recaro Seats in the fouus and they felt small to me an not as comfortable as the standard seat. There was too much side bolstering. DO NOT get the European package."

I'd stay away from Recaro's due to the lack of vertical bump absorption. No wonder BMW 325i sport seats aren't Recaro's like the way VW/Audi do.

I installed a traditional Recaro SE, which is more supportive & comfortably shaped than the one used in the FSVT Euro Package, on my '98 Corolla LE 5-sp, & suddenly the ride became much bumpier. So I checked out other aftermarket seats, & it seems that the sofa-like FloFit, also made in Taiwan just like the Recaro SE, has the best absorption as I bounced my body on it. So far, I think the best aftermarket seat is the Monaco, which rides less bumpy & is shaped similar to the Recaro SE but w/ extra lateral support for your thighs.

I was happy to request an '05 Focus ST w/ SVT-like std front seats in two-tone full cloth w/ the $115 heated feature:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/cgi-bin/schlabo/sp.pl?/testdrives/i- - mages/05zx4_st_9.jpg&info=2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST&from=http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/05zx4.htm

The red trim is also on the front door panels.
  • svtfsvtf Member Posts: 1
    I just got a SVTF and first must-have aftermarket part for it is a limited-slip differential. I was wondering if anyone knew what company makes the best, there's the Quaife $995 (ford used this in there euro focus RS), Torsen $720 (used in the FR200 focus), Kaaz $880 (ITR's lsd), and the Phantom Grip $300 (never heard of).
  • kbalmankbalman Member Posts: 1
    I need a little info on the Ford Focus. Is this a partnership car made by some other company other than Ford, like Mazda. Someone please advise me on this.
    Thanks