Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Coupe (2002 and earlier)

Comments

• jns2jns2 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 96 900SE, and I've been using the guys at Garden City Saab for a few years now. I think they're pretty good.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    I am a 9-5 owner, but had a 9-3 as a loaner during service. The stereo's are very similar and I thought you 9-3 owners will enjoy the following tip. Hit your weather band at the same time you turn your stereo on. Then you want to raise the "start volume" to the mid to higher twenties range (preset is nine). After about 8 seconds the volume will decrease automatically.
    What you have done is raise the amplifier setting on the car. This about triple's your wattage, which will give you a much fuller sounding stereo.
    The "start volume" is not the volume when the stereo is turned on, but rather the "gain" on the harmon kardon amp. Big difference. Many Saab owners complain about their stereo, but few know that the amp setting is set at less than one third of the power (a setting of "30" is tops).
    Enjoy. I must say, except for a little more of a bumpy ride which my old bones can't take, the 9-3 is very similar to the 9-5, a very enjoyable car to drive. Love the hatch!
  • pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    As a holiday present, this 19-year-old here got a Laser Red 1999 Saab 9-3. I believe the only option on it is the automatic transmission. Otherwise it has a grey cloth interior, CD player, and heated seats. I need to get a new set of tires for it, and also have the ventilation system checked out. It seems as if the vent direction is stuck in one setting. The knob turns but does nothing, and I did not notice this until after I bought the car. Maybe the knob is broken? I hope they do not have to take apart anything to fix it. Recently, I have also felt the transmission not to be completely smooth, but it might be because of my heightened sensitivity to buying a used car. It has 55555 miles on it already. Nevertheless, I absolutely adore the car. I have always wanted a Saab, and I have always wanted a red car, so when I saw it, it was love at first sight.

smu1976: I did the trick today, and it actually does work. It was extremely annoying actually setting the start volume, as it cranks up the stereo to obnoxiously loud levels, but what a difference it makes turning it up to 30. Thanks for the advice!
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    DStrau, I believe there is a mechanic in Glen Cove who specializes in Swedish cars. I'll post the name tomorrow when I find out from my co-worker who uses him.
    Gary
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    This is what my co-worker had to say:

"I would recommend Vinny.   He has always found a cost
    effective way to repair my SAABs.   He is trained as a SAAB mechanic
    and works mainly on SAABs.

Glen Cove Foreign Cars

77 Roslyn Ave

Sea Cliff

(516) 676-1544 "
  • wineknowwineknow Member Posts: 1
    i have a friend who's company car is the above stated auto with 26000mi...i drove it last nite and feel in love...he has offered the car to me at the end of the lease in nov...i'm looking for opinions-good or bad on this car as far as reliability and any problems or quirks that may exist...also i'm curious to what a good resale price would be on the car in the new york, new jersey area...looking forward for any input
    thanks
    wineknow
  • agsoba83agsoba83 Member Posts: 7
    I'm just curious, i thought leather seating are
    standard with SE models. I just saw a 2000 SE with automatic tranny with cloth seating.
    Could it really be an se or was just mislabeled.
    someone please help b4 i pay too much for this car.
  • jas28jas28 Member Posts: 50
    I've leased a 1999 9-3 base since July 2000 - this will be my last Saab. (I'm counting down the days to my 7/23/02 lease expiration date!) I've literally had as many problems covered under warranty as months that I've owned the car. Problem have included side airbags, driver's seat (replaced twice), radio (replaced 3 times, antenna replaced too), air conditioner controls replaced twice, air conditioner module replaced once, power lock failures, rear view mirror failures, rear latch failures, brake problems, rear glass cleaner nozzle problems, SID (driver info center) failure, and numerous (3) bent wheels. This does not include the countless squeaks and rattles in my vehicle (which were there long before the first service appointment).

I litterally missed the lemon law by ONE service appointment. Saab has told me that they are only willing to give me a coupon towards the purchase of a new Saab. That's not acceptable to me because I can't afford a 95 and I refuse to ever drive another 93. So no luck with Saab.

Several of these problems are common - it is not unusual for me to go to the dealer and hear someone else with a similar complaint. My service department is pretty good - it's the car that is awful.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent - I would recommend NOT buying a 93 as many of these issues will show up on other 93's (just ask my coworker sitting accross from me who also owns one!).

Jake
    I'm trying to find out what kind of discount i can get with the GM supplier discount in buying an '02 saab 93.
    Go to the dealer to find out what your discount would be. It's all in their computer.
  • peterson33peterson33 Member Posts: 24
    I'm leasing a 2000 base 9.3 My contract says that I can buy it at lease end for $16,500. I like the car but when I called Saab Financing they said the $16,500 is firm. Anybody out there do better than that.

For those considering a 9.3 - drive it. Put it in sport mode and step on the gas. Hit some curves then slam on the brakes. Ahh - this ain't no GM.

My only problems so far - heater got stuck on hot mode when the dial broke off in my hand. Dealer fixed it. There is a squeek noise coming from the back that I have not pinpointed. If I can't fix it, I'm not buying it.
    I had the same problem with the heater knob and the squeak - the noise is either coming from the trim on the c-pillar, the rear tie bar holding the seats up or the spare tire compartment.

GOod luckj, but I think 16,500 is too much. Also, the squeaks will never go away and the a/c controls WILL keep breaking (from my experience).

Jake
  • lonestar98lonestar98 Member Posts: 48
    I'm looking into the possibility of leasing a Saab 9-3. I was very impressed by the Viggen, but I'm curious as to what the lease rate would be. I see that the currrent lease rate for a base 9-3 is $300/mo. But what are the lease rates for the Viggen? I figure that there would be some difference, but the question is how much? Does anyone have any recent experience with negotiating a deal on a Viggen?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    The lease deal right now for the 9-3 SE is $299/month with a down payment. If you want the car for zero down, the payments equate to $359/month. The SE is the "base model" for 2002. A Viggen will probably run you $60-$80 more a month. Probably looking at high $400s. Saab dealers are willing to negotiate. The 9-3 is being replaced next year (as an '03) with a new platform and Saab is backed by GM who is trying to move the cars off the lots. Just don't let the dealer play games and say "oh, well the Viggen is a rare car and we don't budge off sticker from them."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    A reporter is trying to find consumers who've traded up from mass-market brands (e.g. Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.) to luxury nameplates. He says, "I'm not looking for lottery winners, just regular folks who wanted more car."

If you have a story to share, please send it to Edmunds' PR director: jfallon@edmunds.com. It is helpful for you to include your e-mail, phone number and city/state of residence when you respond. Deadline for submission on this one is March 6. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • hilltop33hilltop33 Member Posts: 15
    Saab 9-3 SE Premium Package

Cap cost - 28226
    Cash reduction - 2000
    Lease term - 36
    Lease factor - .00049
    Residual - 47%
    15k miles per year
    Payment - $356 a month

I haven't done any negotiating yet, but I wanted to find out what room I might have. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks ahead. L
  • rarrietararrieta Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Chicago and was quoted $32,700 for Premium Package 9-3 SE. What price can I realistically expect after negotiating? Is the $5,500 incentive still in place? Thanks.
    Weekends are usually a little slow around here, so perhaps give it a day or so to see if things pick up.

While you're waiting here for feedback, I'd like to direct you to Edmunds' True Market Value New Vehicle Appraiser and National/Regional Incentives, Rebates, and Lease Program information.

Hilltop- Glad to see you've found your way to our Ask Lease Questions discussion on the FWI board. Car man should be able to offer some good information. Have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' Leasing Advice?

Hope this is helpful. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchases. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hilltop...Why are you putting the $2000 cash down? If you roll that into your payment, it becomes $411/month which doesn't sound like such a hot deal. Does that include tax? Saab is currently offering $359/month leases with no money down. I advise against putting down $2000 as a cap cost reduction. All you are doing is reducing your payment and giving Saab credit the money. You're better off keeping the money in a savings account and transferring it into your checking account when you need to make a payment.

rarrieta: I don't know about any $5500 incentive, but you can get this car for near invoice. I think Saab is offering 0% financing as well. I'm not sure of the terms. Check out Edmunds for the invoice price and saabusa.com for current incentives.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks for the help. The $356 includes everything - taxes too. The deal on the $359 only has 12k miles per year and it is only on the base vehicle. I am looking at the premium package plus heated seats and metallic paint, free maintenance for 3yrs and 15k miles per year.

I have done some more research and I am pretty sure I can get the cap cost down another 1k which would still give the dealer a profit with dealer lease cash and hold back. I would then eliminate the cash reduction and have a similar lease payment (a little bit more). My out of pocket expenses would be a little over $1200 for the various lease inception fees including the first month's payment.

This is my thinking anyway. Wish me luck. L
    as a followup on my previous post, no saab dealer in the bay area,ca wants to do much better than 460/mo with 4k drive off and 12k miles/yr. this seems high for a car that is in its last model year. one dealer told me that while the money factor for te 9-3 se is .00049 the money factor for the viggen is .00116

i just feel that if i pay the $460, sooner or later those lease rates will drop as saab tries to unload these models.

the current saab incentives are coming to an end now and march will have new offers, has anyone heard anything?

what do all of you think?
    I just signed a lease on the base 93 se yesterday,
    with 12k/yr, 3400 down, and 297 per month, with my GM supplier discount. After reading these recents posts, i feel gyped.
    Was that a cap cost reduction? Or did you pay taxes up front? Saab has a better deal going right now (nationally). Oh well, nothing you can do now. Enjoy your Saab.

• burbagemanburbageman Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a 2002 9-3 SE. Edmunds (The best resource around :-) says to wait for the 2003. Has anyone heard or could point me to what the 2003 may offer?
    The 2003 will be an all new car. It will built on GMs Epsilon platform. I don't know if that will point you towards or away from Saab.

• burbagemanburbageman Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have a sense of demand for the 2002 9-3 SE. Are there a lot on the lots that dealers are trying to move or are these hard to come by?

Preparing for my negotiation and trying to get a sense of where the dealer is coming from. I am in the Wash DC area if that matters.
    about the DC area, but Saabs seem to be in pretty low demand these days.

Have you had a chance to check out TMV New Vehicle Pricing Calculator? This will give you the average cost in your region.

Also, please note that the Edmunds.com base TMV new vehicle prices do not take into account Manufacturer-to-consumer incentives or rebates. So be sure to check Edmunds' Incentives and rebates for any necessary adjustments. Others here may have more to add. Good luck with your purchase, and please keep us posted. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    I can't comment about the rest of the country, but the dealer where I test drove a Saab said he had lots of inventory and I could pick any color I wanted with any interior. This is why I feel I have lots of negotiation room. - I'm in the New York City area.
    here in the bay area, ca i think there is a tremendous amount of supply. the dealers i've visited have virtually seas of saab 9-3 se's sitting on their lots. one dealer i visited still had a brand new 2000 9-3 with cloth interior! can you believe that? good luck on selling that puppy. anyway, i think you can really negotiate. my problem is the viggen, which is a short supply vehicle to begin with. from what i've learned the money factor isn't as generous and maybe the factory to dealer incentive isn't as big? one dealer told me he's getting 3k for each se...strangely edmunds show's no factory to dealer cash--that's bogus, because even on cars direct they are blowing out se's for less than invoice, so there has to be some cash coming from saab.
    no the 3400 does is not cap reduction. the cap cost on the car was 23 and change. he gave me 2k for the manufacturer to dealer incentive, plus the gm supplier discount. the 3400 also includes my tax and tag. the 297 also includes the tax.
    it's only been two days, and so far the car is ok, just what you expect from a new car. Will see how the car rides after couple of thousand miles.
    i live in florida and i'm looking forward to hitting the turnpike or I-75 one of these days.
    The cool thing about the car though is that it turns heads in my black neighborhood. it's differnt from everybodys honda, nissan, toyota, bmw's and mb.
    you got a really great deal! Enjoy your Saab. That Turbo will just keep the engine going and going! The FLA Turnpike would be a nice place to wring the car out!

• aak2002aak2002 Member Posts: 4
    L -

I am curious if you were able to work down the out of pocket. My research shows the same wiggle room that they should have - based on living close to invoice.

>The $356 includes everything - taxes too.

- is this for Manual, no premium package?

> $359 only has 12k miles per year (base)

is that for Metallic Paint, premium and service ?

I drove it today but didn't stay to bargain, seems that you could probably get the cash out of pocket down.

Here in CA they want 3599 cash and 279 + tax for Manual, no premium, no service included.

I want to put down 2500 cash and 299 a month for the premium package.

I will go back to drive the manual version tomorrow.

I am from CT but now living in CA.... good luck with the deal.

The Saab is ahead of Passat and Volvo for me right now.

aak
    I made the lease deal yesterday. I had the dealer run the numbers for both the automatic and the manual with the premium package, heated seats and metallic paint, and 15k a year. The premium package includes 3 yr maintenance. All the numbers include sales tax. I simply passed him my worksheet and said here are the numbers I researched and think are reasonable.

Manual - $27207,$1200 inception (first payment included)- $363 a month

Auto - $28151,$1200 inception (first payment included) - $378 a month

I ended going with the automatic since I have been caught in traffic a lot lately. I went with the midnight blue, but black, red, or white would have knocked down the cap cost another $400.

I think I got a pretty good deal. Obviously, if you buy the car versus leasing it, you can get the purchase price down even more, but this was as low as I could get the dealer to go on the lease yesterday. If anyone thinks I have more room to negotiate, let me know - the paperwork won't get started until tomorrow. This is my first time leasing a car, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

The Saab lease deal on their website until the 28th is $299 base manual with 12k for 3yrs, $2k down or $359 base manual with 12k for 3 yrs, no money down. The premium package is adding about $1700 to the price and metallic paint $400.

Good luck with your negotiating AAK. Let me know how you do.

L
    L -
    I too need to go drive the Automatic today for the same reasons. Then I will test drive the one with the Premium Package Manual. I will then make clear I am not going pay 3599 down with 279 payment for the Manual no package (the published deal here).

I have one last question, since I will probably buy it at the end of the lease, what is the residual/buy out price at the end of the paperwork you have been doing.

I leased my last car because I could write off this lease (Maxima SE loaded) but it drives too soft - almost bouncing on the turns. But this time, I need to keep the initial cash flow down so I think buying the lease out, is a used car where you know exactly how it has been treated and maintained.

The deal here is 13966.00, do you remember what you are getting.

I redrove the Passat last night (dealership opened later) but they don't have the great lease deal. The VW did seem peppier out of the gate with the automatic, so I will have to see if the Saab is the same. Mercedes coup and Lexus IS300 were fun to drive, but no lease deals and too small.

I like to drive Manual cars, but sometimes in traffic it is a pain.

Any ideas what service costs at 50, 60,75?
    I hope they can give me something today to show me about this.

Keep in touch and I hope everything goes well.

aak
    To hilltop33- Congrats on your new 9-3 Saab! Good luck with your delivery. We look forward to hearing all the details.

To aak2002- In addition to the feedback here, you may want to check out this FWI Lease discussion. Our FWI host, Car_man, is very knowledgeable in that area. Also, you can look for manufacturer recommended service costs in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    AAK2002 - The Saab lease deal for the base manual ($299, 2k down and $359, no money down, 12k miles 36 months) is a national lease deal posted on their website 'til 2/28. Go to www.saabusa.com under finance and leasing, limited-time offers and you will see it. It doesn't matter where you live in the USA.

My buy out option is $14835, auto. I will also be writing off the lease to my business, but I won't do the buy out at the end. Too many cool cars coming out in the next few years.

As for the manual versus the auto - I have driven a manual Mazda MX-6 for the past 10 years and have loved it. I had every intention of leasing the manual Saab, but after a lot of traffic this week, decided to test drive the auto too. I was pleasantly surprised. It was still really peppy, especially in sport mode. Plus, I didn't have to look at that annoying shift up message on the instrument panel.

Anyway, hope this info helps. Sorry I can't help you with maintenance above 36k. Good luck. - Lori
    As big of a fan of the manual transmission as I am, for certain reasons I decided to get my '00 base 9-3 with the slushbox. It works well. Downshifts when you want it to. And yes...Sport Mode is a blast!

Thanks for the pointers to the lease section.
    Needless to say, I could not bargain too much. I got a little better than the national deal plus the add-ons. They just wouldn't budge here - probably worth at least 500 to get the car I wanted. I refused to pay deposit, but they said they could not move the bank aqc. fee of $595.Is this true?

I am putting 2k down, plus first and fees. Seems like the West coast prices are still about 500 bucks higher. I got close to under invoice.... I think they have sold quite a few of those out here in CA, so they were not as hungry for the business.

I have jury duty this week, so couldn't go totally nuts besides I am still exhausted from bargaining $4.5k off invoice my other car a few weeks back for my significant other.

I decided that I couldn't miss out on the fun and with the stick...so I went with it... added the premium package - but have to wait for the car - as it is still on a boat, my current NS (non Saab) lease ends tomorrow, so the dealer said they would loan me a 9-5 until it comes in...hope it's soon, my birthday is next week.

By the way, good news... I talked with two friends today who own 99 9-3's and they both have had no problem still love the car every day.. both live in NH. One friend, just last week bargained his residual down from 16 to 14k and said they financed it....I think his lease was $269.00/m but higher rate, I cannot remember.

Anyway, time to decide what accessories... I cannot wait. I am thinking about a jaunt down to Hearst Castle to take the car for a spin.

Any clues on how to get ride of new car smell ;-) it makes me sick.

Last thing I have to figure out is how to connect my iPod for MP3 playback... it would be cool to have a connector from the stereo out on the dash. This could be handy for phone use too - just a simple input.

Thanks for the pointers, I will take my lease questions there...

ak
  • hppypaulhppypaul Member Posts: 43
    aak2002,

I have a 2000 9-3 SE and it's awesome. No problems at all with just regular dealer maintenance. Definitely go with the stick.
    ipod connection can be handled with a mini FM transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack. get it at radioshack. works pretty good.

good luck
    Anybody else have creaking/clanking from the rear suspension in cold weather (30 F and below)? I'm trying to decided whether it's worth bringing it in for service, but I don't know what's causing it.
    have a rattle coming from the right sid of the dashboard during cold starts when my foot is on the brake pedal. It is an '00 9-3 base with a slushbox. Anybody else have this problem. I haven't been able to duplicate it at the dealer because by the time I drive from my house to the dealer in NJ the noise is gone and the car is no longer "cold."

I also have several rattles from the IP - I've tried numerous times to get them repaired - some times it's been successful, and other times not. However, I've learned that they'll never be able to get them all and everytime they take something apart (especially the instrument panel), there is a likelihood that new rattles will develop (this happened last time when they replaced my HVAC controls).
    of my lease. I turn the car in on December 4 of this year and as some of the locals around here say...fugedaboutit!

4 months and 24 days until I'm done with this abomination that Saab wants me to believe is an entry level luxary car. You're absolutely right nyccarguy - leases are great.

C-ya
    But Who's counting?

;)

• vbnmvbnm Member Posts: 21
    has anyone here cross-shopped these two cars? any thoughts on which is the better deal? I value performance, safety, solidity, and having some money left over.
  • pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    Ultimately, the MB is a better car. It has the stunning looks of a Saab, the versatility of a hatchback, and the luxury name brand and service to back it up. The Saab also has these qualities, but it is getting old. It's still charming, but the MB is a much newer model with more sophisticated technology that will serve you better in the long run.

As to your valued qualities in a car, both have all of them, but the MB has it better too. Just my opinion. And in case you were wondering, I have a Saab, not a Merc.
    Go With the C-Coupe. You'd have more money left over with the Saab, but the Benz is a MUCH BETTER CAR! I own a Saab too.

• huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    And in case you were wondering, I have a Saab, not a Merc.

I currently own both: a new C230 with 100 miles and a '95 900S with 58K miles (yes, very low mileage).

My mother told me that if I couldn't say something nice about someone, that I should say nothing at all. So here's a "something nice":

The Saab is that it has a very large trunk. This is quite useful for carrying heavy repair tools, such as those that are required for replacing two clutches, or for an engine rebuild. Its also good at carrying a defective battery off to recycling, it will even hold two mufflers and all those cheap plastic pieces, such as three sun visors, the glovebox lid switch and the headlight switch. Its semi-slab sided design is also quite good at keeping you awake while driving, particularly when crossing bridges and other exposed roads that can have crosswinds.

Its a bit early to say, but I suspect that the C230K won't give me all of these opportunities to watch the TV in my local dealership's waiting room.

-hh
This discussion has been closed.