Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Coupe (2002 and earlier)

Comments

• irish21irish21 Member Posts: 12
    Dealer's offer for 2002 9-3 SE hatchback...
    $32109... premium package, automatic, heated seats.

Thanks for the info. It's 1 am. Last time I was up this late I worked the second shift. Now I work days and have to be up at 5 am.
    Good night and thanks for any info.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    That sounds like sticker price to me. You can get this car for around $26-$27K and lease it for around $350/month with no money down and 12K miles per year.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• irish21irish21 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for your answer.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Here's a new discussion that some of you may find interesting: Saab 9-3X Concept.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    I would encourage anyone and everyone to take a look at the newly re designed 9-3 for 2003, go to www.4car.co.uk and click on the link, the 9-3 look's absoulutly amazing, even better then the big brother 9-5, cant wait to get inside of one!!!!!They did a damn fine job on the redesign!!!!
  • pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    I have to agree that the redesign is stunning. However, I am a little bothered by the rear passenger door design (where the window matches the C-pillar), the boot lid design (spoiler destroys clean lines), and the general back end (doesn't it look like a Cadillac Catera?). But the interior is absolutely fabulous, as is the profile. Very sexy indeed!
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    Great ... where's the hatch? :-P
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    check the link below to saabnet website which has press release post, plus pictures.

check out their 93 bulletin board too for more heated discussions!

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/020516.html

• gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    NO HATCH?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next. For $5,000 - $10,000 less I'll consider a 2003 Accord V6 with a possible 5 speed.

Review in CanadianDriver -

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020514-1.htm s

if the 2003 accord is like a 2002 accord, give me a break...can't compare the 2. my 99 9-3 blows off any accord...any day...

be patient..give it time. saab MUST do a non-hatch to expand their market base...maybe a hatch will be in the works later... i love my hatch and wished that the new 93 had a hatch...

market reality at work.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    2003 Accord will be all new.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    I really don't see how putting a trunk on the new 9-3 is going to win market share/sales, at least not from the 3-series or other competition like that.

The people buying 3-series, IS300s and all aren't buying it over the current 9-3 because it has a trunk. They're buying those cars over 9-3s because they either want the rwd, the brand prestige, or things like that. If those buyers wanted fwd trunk/car to begin with, they would have bought an Acura TL, Infiniti I35, Lexus ES300, Saab 9-5, or Volvo S60. But the BMW-buyers passed, preferring the rwd over fwd. A trunk won't win them over.

It could possibly win over a fwd entry-luxury buyer from a Lexus ES300 or something like that, but if the ES300 buyer really was going to buy a Saab "if it only had a trunk" the 9-5 was available to them, and they passed already. If they already passed on a 9-5, why would they go for the 9-3?

So Saab won't be gaining any sales because of the trunk. On top of not gaining any, they will possibly be losing sales from the people who want a hatch.

If the new 9-3 is going to gain market share, it's going to be because it's better than the current 9-3, not because of some dumb trunk.

I hope they'll add a hatch variant later on, but why not come out with the hatch first for the traditional Saab customer and then add the trunk variant later? Seems like they're doing it backwards.

In good news, according to Autoweek, the 9-3x (or something like it) is going into production. The hatch will live on through it, at least.

Mike
  • carshopper43carshopper43 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at a 2002 9-3 4dr HB with premium package, heated seats, and metallic paint. It has been used as a service loaner and has 5000 miles on it. The current offer from the dealer is approx $24K. What do you think would be a fair price to offer for this car?
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    saab is offering $4000 cash back right now on new 9-3's. i would guess you could get one at $4000 below invoice if you play hardball with a few dealers, since they have a new 9-3 coming out. if you like the demo model, i would say anything north of 20k is too much. btw, love the new 9-3, but.......A TRUNK!!!!!! what are they thinking??? saab is going to see a dramatic decrease in 9-3 sales until they reintroduce a 9-3 hatch.
  • cool_handcool_hand Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to lease the 9-3 convertible. If anyone has any good information on this please email me at hoffman.gr@mellon.com

thanks!
    Mike,

Market research has shown that people don't want hatchbacks, don't like them. hatches are often a turn off so people don't consider the 9-3 on their "short list of cars to EVEN TEST DRIVE. If you can't get your car on a short list then you won't get enough people to test drive and get consideration.

The 9-3 obviously has to be better, otherwise it won't be considered period. by anyone.

Biggest improvement is structural rigidity and improved suspension so it's now closer to the competitive field of cars. Now that they have a
    competitve car structurally, the trunk makes it NOT a hatchback so more people will consider it on their short list.

There are certainly hatch lovers out there (count me in!) - mainly the current breed of saab owners. However, the current saab owners have to stop crying and get with the program. Saab needs to be more mainstream in order to survive as a brand. If they can expand their base then they'll have the latitude to do more unique variants of their cars.

If they only did a hatch, they wouldn't gain share because the current breed of buyer likes the hatch and still puts up with the shortcomings of the car - 900->NG900->9.3...thus if Saab did the hatch they'd make all the saab lovers happy, but that's not going to win anyone over.

Look at the 9-5. It was certainly a better car then the 9000, but did it have a hatch? NO. It had a trunk. 9-5's are selling well because of both quality and the fact that the trunk appeals to more buyers than the hatch did on the 9000.

Trunks may seem like a dumb thing, but people have not purchased cars because of lousy cupholders....
    Seems to me a hatch is about the same thing as a wagon. No one complains about wagons, in fact they're selling like hotcakes. I like the hatch format because it's a little more stylish.
  • hppypaulhppypaul Member Posts: 43
    I have a 00 9-3 SE and love it.
    Seems to me that by not doing the new 9-3 as a hatch first, SAAB is alienating their primary customers. Sure they want to attract new ones (like me after 2vw's before), but take care of your bread and butter first.

I don't like the look of a car with a trunk and wagons don't do it either (although the 3 series BMW is a great car that would probably look lousy with a hatch). I find that the current 9-3 is a perfect balance of performance and practicality which is what saab is all about.

They really should do the trunk and hatch versions at the same time and let people choose. Just put all of the performance in both. Then everyone should be happy.
  • carshopper43carshopper43 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help! I offered $20K but was unsure if that was a ridiculous price. I'll stick to it! I'm not necessarily needing a new car right now so it makes it easier. Saab's expensive parts also have me a bit concerned. But I love the cargo room and it's a bit zippier than a sedan.
    "The 9-3 will initially be launched as a five-door hatchback with a coupe-like silhouette, with a steeply raked windscreen and rear window, and short front and rear overhangs."

Read the full story from the Waikato Times: Saab shows off new 9-3 sedan. Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    Does anyone know if the 2003 9-3 will keep it's legendary ignition in the middle between the two front seats, it would be a shame to see it go in the redesign!!!!!
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I believe the 2003 9-3 is a sedan and not a hatch.
    The ignition if I understand correctly is an electronic key. Don't know exactly how that works. Go to the Saab website for more info.
    on whether the 2003 9-3 is hatch or not. I've heard rumors both ways. Did you read the article I linked above? It states: "The 9-3 will initially be launched as a five-door hatchback with a coupe-like silhouette, with a steeply raked windscreen and rear window, and short front and rear overhangs."

This is news from overseas. Do you suppose they'd be releasing a different type of vehicle over there? Of course let's not forget a sedan can also be a hatch (5-door). Perhaps others here can shed some light on this. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Yes, the ignition will remain in the same spot.

As for the hatchback, it will appear in Europe this coming year....However, it will come to our shores (US) until 2004 or 2005 depending on how good sales are of the sedan.
    Too bad we have to wait until 04 for the hatch.

My lease is up in may 03, and no hatch, no more saab for me. Who wants a trunk. Useless for my needs. I want a full size car with a hatch that's not a wagon or an suv. Only the current 9-3 fits the bill.

Why not release both here at the same time if it's available??
    According to reports from up on high, hatchbacks do not sell very well (I think this is GM talking). So, Saab is focusing its core energies in developing market share (again, this is GM talking).

Saab is still not very profitable, so they are still in the proving grounds. I think with the next generation 9-3 that sales will definitely increase, unless serious defects are in the next generation.
  • dolivettedolivette Member Posts: 17
    Hi all-

I am seriously considering buying a Saab 9-3. My only concern is winter/snow driving. I live in upstate NY where the snowfall can be heavy at times. Is this car sufficient for this weather, or should I opt for an AWD vehicle?
    i'm originally from Buffalo...know about the snow. YOU DON'T NEED AWD. Don't let the marketing hype get to you...

I was in Buffalo over Christmas when they had the 7 feet of snow. I was with the family so I had our Saab 9-5 wagon - FWD with snow tires on all 4 - NO PROBLEM plowing thru 6-12" of snow. and this is in a car that sits LOWER than the 9-3.

SAAB's are GREAT in the snow! If you are going offroad then get the AWD, but otherwise stick with FWD.
  • dolivettedolivette Member Posts: 17
    Thanks rickpct.
  • robteerobtee Member Posts: 2
    The dealer just told me I need to replace the front brake pads soon.They also told me that when you replace the brakes on this car you need to replace the rotors at the same time. I have 28,000 miles on a 9-3 SE. Anyone have any information if this seems reasonable?
  • nrgadamsnrgadams Member Posts: 1
    I own and love my 2000 Saab 9-3 SE. I have always thought that to keep this car current with the market, the following design changes needed to occur: Car should be AWD (turbo is too powerful for FWD) Car should have a great audio system. Window controls and ignition switch should be moved to a more conventional locale. 3 or 4 areas from perfection is not too shabby. Now GM decides to experiment with a new chasis, get rid of the hatch back. Creation of a new engine that delivers only 5 more HP and decreases fuel tank size. To add insult to injury maintains it's front wheel drive platform. I do like the appearance of the new model but the hatch could have been maintained. It looks as if GM broke all the good stuff and did not fix any of the stuff that needed to change. I will trade next year and FWD is not an option, nor anything that is overtly GM. Saab will NOT be considered as a replacement to my 9-3 SE. NRG Adams
  • robteerobtee Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info. I'll check out saabnet.com
  • roba1102roba1102 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to become a new 9-3 SE 5-door owner. I love hatchbacks and have desired the 9-3 for some time and decided that there is no time like the present since they are discontinuing the model. I put a deposit on the 2nd to last one on the lot. It's an automatic 2002 SE with Premium Package. I'm leasing it for $2000 down, $361 per month and a buyout of $14,000. The lease is for 15,000 miles per year. Being that I am new to the world of leasing & Saab, would this be considered a "fair" deal? I absolutely love this car and have for some time and finally have enough pennies in the piggy bank to pull it off but want to make sure I'm not overpaying.

Also, is there anything I should know about the Saab 9-3 as a first time owner?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    My first piece of advice is to not rush into any lease blindly. If you're not familiar with leasing, I highly recommend you take a little time to read some of the leasing articles here at Edmunds.

How many months is your lease for? What is the negotiated value, residual, and money factor... for this 2002 9-3 Saab? Is there a dealer or advertising fee included in this? If you're not familiar with these items, go back to your dealer and ask for all the details.... And tell him you need a little more time to think over the terms.

The more you understand about your lease and how the dealer determined your down payment and monthly rates, the better you will be able to determine if you're getting a fair deal. Others here may have more to add.

Also, in our FWI Leasing Questions discussion, Car_man (our FWI host) should be able to help you with the current Saab lease incentives, residuals, money factor, and other fees involved.

Btw, I just leased a new vehicle (different make/model) myself; and I was able to save a considerable amount of money by studying up on leasing. It also helped to use Lease Wizard software. If you're interested, look for information about Lease Wizard in Edmund's leasing section. My 2 cents. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Revka
    Host
  • feculentfeculent Member Posts: 3
    Looking through the posted messages, I keep seeing references to GM offering dealers $3000 or more back on Saab 9-3's. I got the Consumer Reports "price report" for the Saab 9-3... supposedly with all of the most up to date rebate and incentive information. No such dealer 9or consumer) incentives being offered, according to Consumer Reports, as well as Edmunds information and MSN carpoint. Only 0.0% financing. Can anyone help to clarify this for me? Thank you.
  • feculentfeculent Member Posts: 3
    I have located two "slightly" used vehicles for sale by private parties. The first is a 2002 Passat GLS (1.8), automatic, leather, and otherwise pretty well loaded up, with about 14,000 miles on it....for about 20K (not bad). The second is a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE, manual transmission (I prefer) with about 16,000 miles, similarly loaded....for about 18K-19K. Consensus seems to be that driving the Passat is more fun....but Passat's are so common where I live....I'm not sure about driving the same car as everyone else. But Saab's don't seem to hold their value very well.....
  • askabry1askabry1 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, they are offering $3000 rebates on leases. Just today in Buffalo NY I may have picked up the last 5 speed black 9-3 Hatch SE in existance with a $3K rebate, a Money Factor of .083, residual values at 45% and cap figure of 27,049 (SE, 5 speed, Premium package). Not an incredible deal, but the car I wanted with the right packages and the right color.
    For what its worth, I traded in a VW Passat with a 5 speed V6. I considered the 1.8, but the interior seemed downgraded from the 2000 versions and the performance flat out stunk.

But you are 100% right about the values; the Passat is strong in resale and Saabs suck. Of course, that should mean (and it does) that if you are buying a used car, your dollar goes further when purchasing a used Saab than a used VW.
  • tlivactlivac Member Posts: 11
    My 1999 9-3 SE is coming off a lease in a month. The residual is $16,750 but I can buy it from the leasing company for a negotiated price of $15,000. I know that if I turn the car in, the best the leasing company will do is about 13,700 at auction minus the shipping cost to get the car to the auction. It has almost 50,000 miles.

My alternative is to buy it and sell it privately so I avoid paying the mileage overages in addition to any other charges they tack on. The issue here is whether I can get more than 15,000 for the car if I sell it privately.
    Its a possibility, but not a real strong one. From what I've seen, low mileage '99 Saabs (<40K)are getting roughly $15500 in the 9-3 iteration. My guess is you'd own it for longer than you'd like- especially with Saab running deep discounts on 02s in preparation for the new models.

If the goal is simply to buy and sell, I'd think you'd have to get it alot closer to the $13,700. You might want to check into www.saabnet.com for comparisons there.
  • jas28jas28 Member Posts: 50
    You think your residual is high? I've got a 99 base model, no leather, manual transmission with a 3 year/36k lease - my residual is more than 18k. Like I'd ever buy that out!
    Guys:

I got a sneak preview of the new 9-3 yesterday. It doesn't look half bad, but it does share many components with the new CTS. One thing that did annoy me was how large they made the Saab symbol on the steering wheel. It is about twice as big as the current symbol. They have also played with the ergonomics (window controls are now on the doors, ignition is recessed into the center floor panel).

Since this was a pre-production vehicle, things such as the glove compartment, new butterfly cupholder and a few other new doodads were not on this car.

Saab is attempting to catch up to the competition with all of the new electronic gear (ESP). My only question is on the engine. This is a reduced size version of the 2.2 liter GM "global" engine. How well will a 2.0l GM engine handle turbocharging? I guess I will have to wait until October to drive the thing and make up my mind.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    The ECOTEC engine is designed for operation as 1.8 to 2.2L (and maybe higher?). The 2.2L block is best turbocharged when destroked to 2.0L, I'm told, as the bore and stroke are more similar to make the engine more 'square' for better forced induction. The 700HP methanol drag racing Cavalier and Sunfire both use 2.0L destroked ECOTECs.

The Opel Speedster uses a 2.2L turbocharged ECOTEC but only gets 180HP out of it. I don't know why they chose not to destroke that one.

Subaru uses a 2.0L in their WRX version of the Impreza -- why didn't they just turbocharge their base 2.5L? Why didn't VW just turbocharge their 2.0L instead of going with a 1.8L? With forced induction, some of the standard rules of engine design are no longer optimal.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    "Subaru uses a 2.0L in their WRX version of the Impreza -- why didn't they just turbocharge their base 2.5L?"

I don't mean to argue with your valid point, but I just want to say that it doesn't really apply in Subaru's case.

In Japan, the Impreza doesn't come with the 2.5 liter engine. The largest engine offered is a 2.0 liter, the normally aspirated version of the WRX 2.0 turbo.

The reason the engine is 2.0 though is because that's the WRC limit on engine displacement. Subaru designed the engine for WRC and then put it into their street cars...I'm pretty sure anyway.

Why would they bother to turbocharge a 2.5 for the street car when they already have a perfectly good 2.0 turbo to use? It makes more sense in Japan to have a smaller displacement engine too, and it must be understood that they have the home-market in mind when engineering what they engineer.

Sorry for going off topic.

Mike
  • lucanlucan Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a new 9-3 hatchback, and I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have 1 big ergonomic problem: the footwell. My left leg can't extend out as far as my right because it's blocked by the footwell. I think this will become frustrating quickly. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket fix to lower that part of the footwell to be as low as the rest of the footwell? Thanks.
    How 'bout a mallet? ;-)

But seriously, the footwell is cramped because it's avoiding something on the other side ... probably just the wheelwell, maybe actual parts, but I imagine they made it that way for a reason other than to cramp our style. Not sure you can recover that space.
  • cassidicassidi Member Posts: 1
    I love the 10 spoke wheels that the New 93 has in some of it's ads. I saw something that said these rims will be available on the linear as part of a premium package. i was wondering if they will be standard on the vector model, thoughts?
    Any word on the timeline for a viggen type 93. dates? HP? etc.
    I love the car and don't know if I should wait for the high output.
    any feedback w/b appreciated
  • lucanlucan Member Posts: 2
    yeah you're probably right :) I guess I'll have to crawl under there and look. still, even if there is room it would involve cutting and welding etc.
    Cassidi,
    More HP is always better. I'm going to wait.
    also remember that 10 spoke wheels look nice, but are hard to keep clean with all the brake dust these cars put off. I'll stick with the 5's.
This discussion has been closed.