Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid

Comments

• wirelesswireless Member Posts: 47
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The dealer I bought from about 2 hours away easily had the best price but the car go-over was very quick and left out a lot of things. Surprising because the dealer is very successful (sells a lot of cars).

In retrospect, because of that and a couple of other glitches I would have paid 1 or 2% more to have bought locally and maybe received better service. But local wasn't up for dealing at all. In fact my neighbor was the one that referred me to the other dealer where she saved 2 grand by driving two hours.

Still overall happy with the new car and basically just had a little stress on the pickup is all. And some in-depth owner's manual reading.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    When I was in the car business, we never trusted the salesperson to ensure the car was delivered properly. Prior to my joining that dealership, salespeople were delivering their own cars. When I joined the organization, CSI was at 83% satisfaction. I then initiated a new car delivery department and hired a manager to run it. Within three months it went up to 94% and within 6 months, to 97%. That increased our per car incentive from the manufacturer from $50 per car to $200 per car. When you sell over 2400 cars a year, that is significant. It more than paid for the added employees and increased our per car net profit.

The last contact a dealership has with its customers prior to servicing the car is the delivery of the new car. That experience must be outstanding if you expect repeat business and referral business. That is why I mentioned this in my posting - so many dealerships place too much responsibility for new car deliveries with their sales staff. The sales staff wants to move quickly to their next customer because that is how they earn their living. This they tend to take shortcuts, especially in the delivery process, which when done properly, can take several hours, depending upon the specific needs of the customer.

If you purchase or lease a car from a high volume dealership where they work on high sales volume with lower per-vehicle gross profits, they will tend to skimp more on their customer service by sales personnel because most of their sales are "mini-deals" which means they make a flat commission on each sale which can range between $75 and $200 per vehicle, which means they must sell 30-50 vehicles per month to earn bonuses or just to eke out a living. Thus, if you want great service and attention to details, dealing with a lower volume dealer and paying a little more is "usually" necessary, but there are, of course exceptions. We should expect more attention to detail and better customer service from a Mercedes dealership, but as you post demonstrates, this is not always the case!

If you can save $1000 on a new car, you don't mind a few shortcuts or less-than-good customer service. The task at hand then becomes finding a dealership where you can both get the best price and the best customer service.

2021 Genesis G90

• bevbranbevbran Member Posts: 40
    Great question about delivery, Mike. I felt like my delivery experience was pretty comprehensive (45 min to 1 hr) until I read about yours! The sales person conducted it, covered the areas you mentioned but probably not as in depth as yours. And no oral exam :-) He sync'd my phone as well, covered voice command--but I did not learn the "how" behind the adaptive high beams (which I love). The manuals are extensive and I will dig in and keep self-educating. Agreed that they could do more on delivery day.

One thing I forgot to mention previously was the Harmon Kardon sound system. Holy moly! The sound is very true--no distortion at the high or low ends and the surround sound is amazing. I never felt like I got the front/back balance right on my last car, but this car came set up sounding like a concert hall.
    Mike, you haven't oversold the 2012 E350 a bit. This is a magnificant automobile.
    edited January 2012
    Bev, there is a sensor behind your rear-view mirror, in about the same place as the sensor for your rain-sensing wipers. It has a magnifier attached and measures ambient light ahead of your car. When you push your directional signal stalk "forward", it activates your adaptive high beam assist function. If the sensor "senses" a vehicle in front of you, it turns your brights off. If it picks up or senses headlights in front of you, it also turns your high beams off. Once the sensor cannot pick up a car in your lane in front of you or cannot sense headlights, your highbeams are automatically turned on. I tried the system out and it works beautifully. Very sensitive to vehicles in front of car for at least one full block away. Remember, you must first activate the system in your settings monitor inside your speedometer screen under the main category of "lights".

Hope that answered your wonderment. Sounds like your salesperson did a better-than-average job delivering your car to you.

2021 Genesis G90

Just one additional follow-up comment about the Harmon Karmin surround-sound system in the new E350 sedan (the system in the coupe and convertible is not as powerful with fewer speakers as well) was improved for 2012 - they added 2 additional speakers bringing the total to 14. That was the main difference from 2011. But remember, you are comparing the 2009 with the 2012, which is even more pronounced. I experience far superior sound reproduction when tuned to an FM "HD" (hi definition) station when compared to satellite or even some of my older CD's. When I compare this system to the similar system found in the BMW 535i, the one in the Mercedes is far superior, for some strange reason. My neighbor has a 535i with the upgraded Harmon Karmin system and even he agreed the Mercedes had superior sound and highly defined surround sound. We can't figure out why, even though we tried researching this.

Perhaps someone out there knows why.

Enjoy, Bev.

2021 Genesis G90

Yes, good point, Mike...I'm comparing to the previous generation, so it is more pronounced! While I am not able to address the BMW vs. Mercedes sound comparison, I can add my 2 cents worth about the audio sources. On HD radio....HD AM stations roughly have the equivalent of FM-Analog quality. FM HD signals roughly upgrade to the equivalent of CD (compact disc) quality sound. That's a generality and highly dependant upon how the individual radio station is processing their sound. As you point out, older CDs aren't always "all that" because many were manufactured from analog sessions. A good quality CD in your car will be great sound, and I suppose that's why they choose that format for the Harmon Kardin demo disc, huh? Generally speaking most broadcast music you hear these days are from .wav files played from studio hard drives, and significantly higher quality than the mp3 formatted files on your iPod. Also a generality, but the XM Sirius quality is, well, just okay. They're playing .wav files in their studios, like terrestial radio, but band width limits fidelity. Best sources to impress your friends, neighbors and passengers: FM-HD and high quality CDs...as you've already discovered :-)
  • lawcarlawcar Member Posts: 97
    Well, it was almost anti-climactic after the several weeks of research, test drives, posting and reading on this website. I have been driving my black exterior/almond interior 2012 E350 which I picked up last week and really like it. While the black exterior does get dirty sooner than my medium gray BMW 528i, this color combination is very rich and elegant, yet sporty at the same time. Even though the car is black, it looks bigger than it is.
    My salesman was very helpful and spent about 45 minutes going through the car with me, from programing the nav system, syncing the contacts on my cell phone, adjusting the memory seats (driver and passenger) and the list goes on (even the emergency release inside the trunk). I felt that the time was sufficient, and look through the owner's manuals for more details or to find out something that I may have forgotten from his walk-through. Using the different gadgets helps me learn them.
    I got the sport package with the P1 package, lane change/blind spot assist and AMG wheels. The nav system is easy to use, as is the radio. The voice control is pretty incredible and very responsive.
    The cabin is beautiful: the almond seating contrasts beautifully with the black dash and black carpet and walnut burl. The adjustable seats with memory for both driver and passenger are very supportive but comfortable.
    The E350 definitely feels more solid than my 528i. It has a very nice ride, smooth yet sporty with good steering and handling. I think the 528 has a little more responsive handling, but that might be due to the lighter feel of the car.
    I'm very happy with the E350. I've owned several Lexus (ES300 and GS 300) and two BMW's (325 and 528) and I like the E350 more than any of them. All of them are great cars and I certainly am not knocking any of them. I think the E350 has features of both the Lexus and BMW. It has creature comforts of the Lexus (all of which the BMW does not have) but more personality than the Lexus. The sport package gives it good styling and handling more akin to the BMW, but it is much finer in detail, and roomier in front and back. The BMW is what I would consider a luxury sport car, whereas the E350 is more of a sporty luxury car.
    To all of you who are considering what to get, just read the comments of those who post on this site, see the cars in person and test drive them yourself, and get the car and features that suit you the best. Enjoy the experience.
    David, sounds like you are extremely happy with your new Mercedes. My 2011 was black with almond - very distinguished and rich looking - but I just disliked having to wash it twice a week to keep it looking great.

I agree with your analogy regarding the BMW being a luxury sports car and the Mercedes being a sporty luxury car. Having owned both, the Beemer handled sportier, however the interior of the Mercedes is richer and more luxuriously refined.

Have you noticed the difference In sound systems? I don't know if you had the upgraded one in your 528i, but if you did, I sure would like to hear your assessment.

Your post was right on target.

2021 Genesis G90

Thanks for the technology behind the the HD vs. CD. It gives some perspective as to why HD FM sounds so much better than Sirius.

What I also noticed on most of the HD stations down here in Florida (we have at least 20 HD FM stations in the greater Ft. Lauderdale - Miami area) is that 6 or 7 of those stations have "multiple" HD bands. To find out which stations have HD1 and HD2 frequencies (1 or 2 of them also have an HD 3 frequency) you need to manually tune the radio to the right (clockwise) one notch. If there are additional HD frequencies, it will immediately show it. Those that have more than 1 HD frequency have different music genres. For example, down here on 93.1, which is easy listening light rock on HD 1, but HD 2 is a bit "harder rock" in its genre. The same is true on 102.3 - HD1 is Oldies and HD 2 is more modern rock. I believe this is further explained in the manual. I just recently discover this last year. It's like having 2 or 3 stations on one frequency. Try it out in your city to find out which ones have more than one HD frequency.

2021 Genesis G90

• konradlvkonradlv Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2012
    What would be the best deal right now on purchase.
    I will be trading in my 2005 Audi A6
    My local dealer in Las Vegas offered invoice price plus extra $1,000 Conquest for trading my Audi.

I am looking at Cuprite brown Metallic
    Premium 2 Package
    Wheel package
    Rear window sunshades
    MSRP 58,955
    First, I believe conquest incentives are usually $2000 on a 2012 E350 sedan. You might want to check this out with another dealership. There are several scenarios as to why only $1000:

(1) There is no conquest incentive but he is willing to sell you a car for $1000 over invoice
    (2) There is a $2000 conquest incentive, but only wants to give up $1000
    (3) The conquest incentive "is" $1000

I always recommend that at least 2 dealers are contacted.

Second, if he is willing to sell you one for $1000 over, then what is he giving you for your trade? This is where dealerships make up for low pricing. Check out the true "trade-in value" of your trade at several sites and dealers to ensure you are getting a fair trade value. Also check to see if selling your car privately works out better for you than trading it. If Nevada has a sales tax, so long as you get at least the difference between sales tax you would have to pay vs. sales tax you safe by trading car.

Also make sure you discuss the 1.9% financing (could be lower than 1.9 since their buy rate is .9%).

Finally, considering the fact that available incentives are few, $1000 over invoice would be a good deal, but make sure you've offered the dealer a $500 over deal. If you are a veteran, you may be able to qualify for USAA pricing, or even if a father, mother, brother or evens son served.

I hope this helps you out.

2021 Genesis G90

• kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Does the Mercedes conquest rebate require that you trade in the competive luxury car?
    edited January 2012
    From my understanding, so long as you can show "proof" that you currently own or lease a qualifying vehicle, that would satisfy the requirements for the conquest incentive. Thus, you do not have to "trade-in the owned vehicle or terminate the current lease". Registration of vehicle showing your name on the registration should be sufficient.

That is how conquest incentives usually work.

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2012
    That's correct. You show them the registration certificate on the vehicle that is being conquered.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    I believe you only have to show them the insurance card....on the other hand, I didn't show them anything; they just assumed that since I drove in in an Infiniti M37 that I qualified. I could have borrowed the car from a fried.
    edited January 2012
    What surprises me ghstudio is that the dealer "must" submit documentation to Mercedes Benz that you qualified when they "RDR" the new car to Mercedes Benz. "RDR" is the process whereby the car is officially recorded sold and reported as such so that the MSO can be released to the state so that title can be recorded.

If it was found that a dealer improperly reported the sale by falsifying the fact that the customer qualified for a particular manufacturers incentive, that dealer could be forced to pay a penalty or, if repeated such infraction could be forced to relinquish his franchise rights.

I would be willing to bet that one way or another, the fact that you owned or leased that M37 was in fact submitted to MBUSA at the time of the RDR. A dealer would be foolish to jeopardize his franchise and/or suffer penalties for the sake of making a sale. When I was in the business, our assurance personnel (title clerks and finance managers and/or our controller) would "kick back" the deal to sales if any of the documentation was missing.

2021 Genesis G90

• damandamifdamandamif Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2012
    Picked up my 2012 E 350 Jan 3rd. We were the last ones to leave the building. Cuprite Brown with Chestnut leather interior. Retailed at $66,785. Got it for 60K flat. Probably could have done better but was on vacation in FL and couldn't negotiate like I wanted to being out of state.

P2 package. Special order leather and paint. The wood leather 3 spoke steering wheel is sweet! Sports package and Top of the line Driver Assistance Package. My local dealer in Union didn't seem like it had the incentive plans the dealer in Paramus, NJ was offering. I would have gladly paid another thousand or so just to being closer to the house but the local dealer was trying to sell me a 2011 e350 for 58,500 with 4% financing. We got 1.9% a new car with lots more options. Getting my spoiler put on tomorrow. If I had the whole thing to do again I'd ask the local dealer to match the deal.

The car is just a jewel. It's smooth as butter. Power that I'll probably never use considering me and the wife are expecting a baby. Handling is precise and when I'm in the car I swear it's like I'm in my living room. That comfortable and quiet. Test drove Audi and Cadillac and BMW... It's definitely the grown up of the bunch. I'm glad I got this color because I'm seeing a bunch of new E 350's on the road now. Mercedes Benz is back!
    Yes that Culprite brown color is very nice indeed. That matching leather is beautiful as well with that exterior color. Brown was just too dark for me here in Florida, year-round. But if I lived up moth, I would definitely consider it.

Enjoy it - we all enjoy our's as well.

2021 Genesis G90

I went to the Tampa and Pembroke Pines dealers. They didn't have any 4 matics but they had some very good deals. The only thing I wish I could have pulled off was a Pano roof. They were just impossible to find in a P2 cuprite brown. Florida, oh how beautiful. People really love their rims down there. Enjoy your Benz as well.
    edited January 2012
    Pembroke Pines is a dealership not too far from me. It's owned by Auto Nation, the largest dealership network in the country. My dealership is also owned by Auto Nation as are 5 additional Mercedes Benz dealerships in the greater Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Palm Beach areas.

It is very difficult to find 4-Matics down here in Florida for obvious reasons - no snow, no ice, no sleet, higher initial cost and a little less in fuel economy. I've seen a few at my dealership, which carries them for "snowbirds" who winter here and summer up north. Also, some people feel safer in the heavy rains we get with all-wheel drive vehicles.

Just enjoy your new E350!

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2012
    Forgot to mention - seems like the deal you got was at almost $7,000 under MSRP sticker and seems like it was a good one, especially when considering the fact that you have a special order exterior color and special order interior leather, all of which cost more when you special order anything on a Benz. You are lucky you got it on the 3rd, as incentives and the length of a loan dropped considerably, after that. Longest term loan available at 1.9%, or a little less, is now 36 months. When you got yours, you could get a a 1.9% loan for up to 66 months. I was lucky to get a 66 month loan for $18,000 at 1.6% due to the fact that there is a 1% mark-up on the rate. Even on the current rate, 1.9% for 24 or 36 months, there is a 1% mark-up. Most dealers are unwilling to give up that full 1% for obvious reasons.

Got your Benz in just the nick of time! Again, enjoy!

2021 Genesis G90

• hpatel79hpatel79 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Friends, I am new to this forum. Thanks for all you do here. I am in need of some help in purchasing my new E350.
    Here is my Build:

COLOR

Exterior: Diamond White Metallic $1,515
    Interior: Almond MB-Tex $0
    Trim: Burl Walnut Wood Trim $0
    PACKAGES
    4MATIC Package $2,500
    Premium 1 Package $4,000
    Driver Assistance Package $2,950
    Sport Styling Package $0
    OPTIONS
    Wood/leather steering wheel $590
    Panorama sunroof $1,090
    BASE MSRP $50,490
    TRANSPORTATION CHARGE $875
    TOTAL PRICE $64,010

I Own 09 BMW X5 now and will sell to Carmax after I get this one. I am Ok with Purchase/Lease, I just want the best deal either way. Is there any incentives or a price suggestions?
    Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks - Hiral
    Thanks glad to hear it. I'm a horrible negotiator. Are you using mbrace?
    Yes I am and always have. The only reason I use it is because of the stolen vehicle assistance, which saves me over $100 a year on my auto insurance. Also, if you have an I-phone or Android, you can download their app and use it to find your car if you forget where you parked, lock and/or unlock your doors, and even send an address to your navigation system through your phone. To me, it is worth the yearly fee. I took it out for 2 years which saves you quite a bit over the one year plan.

I also like the fact that during an emergency, you are in direct contact with someone. I use it at least twice each month to ensure it is working properly, which it always has since I've had Mbrace on my cars.

Hope this helps you out.

2021 Genesis G90

Take $875 (shipping-delivery cost) off the MSRP of your car and multiply that figure by .935 which will give you the factory invoice on the vehicle plus advertising fees which the manufacturer charges the dealer on each car. Then add back the $875 to the factory invoice to arrive at the actual "factory" invoice. This is 2% above actual dealer cost which is the dealer's hold back. A great deal on the car would be that number less any incentives. You should be able to qualify for the conquest incentive which has been $2000 up to now. Another forum post stated it was now $1000, which I am not sure of. So, either way, take off another $1000 or $2000, whichever is the prevailing conquest incentive, and that would be a stupendous deal, or a true dealer cost deal. You qualify for the conquest incentive because you own or lease a BMW, a qualifying vehicle.

I would think that a good deal on the car would be $500 over cost, if you can get there. Also there is currently a 1.9% finance rate for either 24 or 36 months.

This info should get you started. Let us know how things work out.

2021 Genesis G90

Wow, there's something else I need to learn about! I didn't know it could help me find me car in a parking lot or unlock my doors. I have State Farm...I'll have to see if they offer a discount for stole vehicle assistance. And guess I better read the manual about the iPhone app. So much to get up to speed on! :-)
    Thank you for the breakdown. Are you saying a great deal is dealer cost or 2% below dealer cost + $500?
    Also make sure you drop the roadside assistance on the Insurance for the new Benz. MB as you know has roadside assistance. That should save you a few bucks.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am suppose to meet with one of the dealer this weekend. I will post here once I get some numbers.
    Dealer cost would be a great deal. Dealers never give up their holdback because that is what covers their overhead. When I was a sales manager, our owner would immediately fire a manager who gave up their holdback. At times, we would take a lean deal or even a deal below invoice every other "blue moon", but dealer holdback is what paid our costs of doing business like interest on our new and used inventory (we borrowed money to buy inventory at prime rates), electricity, property taxes, payments on mortgage, to name a few.

So, if you can get a dealer cost deal or even $500 over cost, that would be a great deal (nof counting his 2% holdback).">

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2012
    Bev, the Mbrace stolen vehicle assistance service is almost identical to the services that people have installed in their cars as an added option (like LoJack). If your car is stolen, you quickly notify the police department where your car was stolen. As soon as the police assign the case number, you contact Mbrace on the phone, give them your PIN number, and then hand the phone to the police. Mbrace will then give them the exact location of your car.

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2012
    This the news I needed. With the sticker showing $66,485 - $875 Shipping Cost x .935= 61,345.35 + $875 = 62,220.35 which I believe is dealers cost. If you add in the $500 over cost that totals $62,770.35 which would have been a good deal. But it looks like I actually did better. I paid $60,000.

62,220.35 x .98 = 60,975.943

60,975.943 represents the price after the 2% giveback. I think I got the car for $975 less than than that! 1.9% financing for 66 months and a free spoiler. I know the dealer got some money for MB for the Winter event! Great deal. Great car. I couldn't be happier with the ride.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    Lojack and Mbrace are very different. Mbrace only works where there is cell communications (I believe thru sprint towers). No cell towers, nothing the police can do. LoJack broadcasts on it's own frequency and does not rely on the cellular system at all. Once LoJack starts to transmit, it can be located by receiver equiped (police) cars anywhere....a chop shop outside town, anywhere. Mbrace gives you the feeling of security because it can automatically send an alarm signal...but only where there is cellular service. If you are in the middle of nowhere, Mbrace provides nothing and your false sense of security means little. It works as well as your cell phone dialing 911....with someone in between who may or may not be helpful.

I am not an Mbrace supporter...IMHO, it's too expensive for what it provides. I have my cellphone for emergencies. Yes, if I'm unconscious, I guess I'm out of luck...but that's a risk I take because I'm just not confident that Mbrace will actually send help and stay on the line.
    edited January 2012
    I believe you got the conquest discount, which accounts for the $60,000 price. Let me know if I am wrong. That would give you the $2000 to get that deal - I believe. All depends on what car you owned or leased prior to your purchase. If you were eligible for any incentives, that comes off the price.

As an example i got my car for invoice + $500 LESS $2000 (USAA incentive). In addition, I got the MB Financial incentive which at the time I purchased the car in October, was $1500 off that price. They threw in 3 years of maintenance making my final price $2500 under invoice:

62325 less 875 x .935 + 875 = 58330 + 500 less 1500 less 1500 = 55330 which was my selling price and then they added the 3 years of Mercedes Benz maintenance which brought the final deal to just over 54300 + tax. Also got the 66 month financing at 1.6% interest, which we further negotiated since the 1.9% rate has a 1% dealer mark-up - so they gave me another .4% savings.

All I am trying to point out is that whenever the dealer has incentives available for the customer you can purchase the car well under invoice. The USAA pricing is an agreement with MBUSA to sell a Mercedes below factory invoice - the dealer is reimbursed that amount by MBUSA once the sale is recorded and sent to Mercedes Benz - just as they are reimbursed for other incentives such as the MB financial incentive.

THE DEAL YOU GOT WAS EXCELLENT, without any doubt.

2021 Genesis G90

I never knew that! Yet I received a discount on my insurance policy from Liberty Mutual for "vehicle recovery system provided by Mbrace"! I have to remember that - bit luckily I live and do 98% of my driving in the greater Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Palm Beach areas where there are tons of towers!

Thanks for the heads up on Mbrace and it's limitations!

2021 Genesis G90

You know what's funny is I don't even know the kind of discount they used. I did tell them we had an Acura. I'm a former Marine and think I joined USAA but the dealer told me their discount would be even better. They tried to get me to finance the warranty and maintenance program but I opted to add the warranty when the dealers was expiring and pay for maintenance as needed. They offered a 15% discount but to me it didn't make sense to finance something I couldn't use until either 4 years or 50k miles.

You made out like a bandit with the price and your maintenance deal! Question, to avoid repair costs it sounds like it makes sense to buy a new Benz every 4 years or 100k miles and get the maintenance package, what do you think? Thanks.
    I believe your salesperson was correct because the USAA pricing is actually $1500 below invoice. You did get the conquest discount of $2000, which you cannot get if you use USAA pricing. The only incentive that can be used with USAA pricing is the MB Financial and you have to have a current lease or active loan with them to qualify for it.

In my estimation, you paid invoice for the vehicle less $2000, which was the conquest discount/incentive - and that is an excellent price - $2000 below invoice is exceptional. The only reason I got $4000 under invoice was due to the USAA coupled with the MB Financial + the 3 year maintenance policy with MBUSA.

I remember purchasing my 2011 for $4000 under invoice because of a special promotion Mercedes had with USAA - PLUS 2000 incentive with MB Financial - or a total of $6000 under invoice. Sure wish I could have gotten that on my 2012. Only reason I bought a 2012 was because of the new engine and transmission - better fuel economy (30+ mpg on highway) and 34 more horsepower (268 to 302) which was sorely needed in the E350.

If you you are going to keep a car for 3 or 4 years, then the maintenance policy saves you about $500 on a 3 year, and a little more on a 4 year. But remember, a 4 year contract only covers A services and B services which are every 10,000 miles. Thus, you are covered for only 50,000 miles (a service at 10K, 20K, 30K and 40K which takes you to the 50,000 miles). If you drive more than that, you will have to pay for services at 50K, 60K, etc. Those services range in price from 325.00 to 450.00, depending upon the service interval.

Over the past 10 years, I have purchased a new car every year. But, with this 2012, I plan to keep it for at least 3 years. I drive about 9000 miles per year, which is very low mileage.

If drive 15,000 miles per year, 3 years is optimum for keeping a car, although, on a Mercedes, you could easily keep a car for 100,000 miles so long as you service it properly and change tires when needed.

I have found in my experience that brakes are one of the first things that need to be replaced on German cars (Audi, BMW and Mercedes). I believe it has something to do with the "softer" pads that are used for better friction against the rotors, which wear out faster. That is one of the great selling points for BMW, which covers brakes, belts and hoses. Mercedes does not cover those items. Even with extended warranties, those "wear and tear" items are not covered. Not even with the maintenance policies. Maintenance policies only cover regularly scheduled maintenance - A and/or B services - like oil changes, tire rotation (which you can't use if you have a sport with different sized tires front and back), fluid drain and replacement, fuel and oil filters, to name a few. But that's all that is covered.

I hope I've answered you question.

2021 Genesis G90

Yes, you laid it out quite well. Synthetic oil every 10k miles. We've got a Acura MDX I'll use for running around town errands. The E can be for road trips. From what I understand the new E-class has reduced friction in the engine by 30%. Hopefully the new E will show improvement over its predecessor. They next step will be for Mercedes to reduce the need for service visits. I'm confident Mercedes got this one right. I appreciate all the information you've provided. Now I want to get a vintage Benz and start tinkering. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, I did pick up the ding protection and wheel protection coverage. Between parking lots and bad roads in Jersey I thought it made sense. Take care.
    The wheel protection coverage is really a must with the AMG wheel package. I live in south Florida, so I don't get the wheel protection package because our roads are quite good. But in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, I would imagine the roads are like the surface of the moon in certain areas. When I lived in New York, pot holes were expected with the snow, ice, sleet and salt used during the winter.

If you are looking for an older Benz to tinker with and enjoy, I always enjoyed the 280E from the 1970's. What an automobile. If you could find one that still runs, they are truly gems.

2021 Genesis G90

280E Hah? Thanks I'll check into that suggestion.
  • drjmakdrjmak Member Posts: 19
    What does everybody think of a lease of $586 a month( tax is included in lease payment) for 2012 E350 sport 4matic 10k/yr for 33 months with P1 pkg, rear spoiler, comfort box split folding rear...MSRP 58,495. That price is with nothing down except for nl inception fees . 626 for 24 months
    What are the inception costs? You state there is nothing "down". What is the .626 for 24 months? Certainly not the money factor on a different lease?

In other words, your info does not provide enough to give you adequate feedback.

Is the lease for 33 months or 24 months?

What does the ".626 for 24 mean"?

What are the exact inceptions and please break the inception fees down?

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2012
    The new E350 doesn't have electric folding side view mirrors. This is handy if parking on a narrow street, or driving through a narrow 2-way street. You can manually fold them in, but if you need to do quickly, there is a problem. With all of the electronic features they have, I was surprised they don't have this. The owners manual said that Canadian models have this feature though. Wonder why. That said, it's a great car.
    edited January 2012
    Yes, I agree completely with your criticism. BMW has had this feature on their 5 series cars since 2007 - I had a 2006 and when I got my 2007, it had become a standard feature on the 535i.

The only time I miss that feature is when I have to take the Mercedes in for a car wash at a carwash. That is a rarity since my Mercedes dealer in Delray Beach provides me with complimentary car washes once a week. But it is definitely an important feature, especially in tight-fitting parking spaces in malls or in bank parking lots.

I can't explain the rationale for Canadian models having it and US models devoid of the power side-view mirrors. They are not even available as an extra-cost option. I am going to bet that it will be added to the P1 and/or P2 package in the next year or two. Think of it in the same way you do "optional" leather interiors. Why leather seats are not standard on the E350 has been a sore point with E350 owners. 98% of all luxury automobiles in the $57,000 and up category have leather as a standard feature. BMW does not have leather seats standard on their 5 series cars either, but is added when the premium package is ordered. On the E350, it is only available as a stand-alone extra cost option and is not part of the P1 or P2 package, which it should be.

BMW has changed their add-on options from an a-la-carte approach to a "package" approach. When I ordered my BMW's from the factory, which was rare, to get a the premium audio system or a rear sunshade or leather seats or xenon lights or navigation, etc., these were available as stand-alone options only. Now, BMW makes these available in several package offerings.

This is just a flaw in Mercedes Benz's marketing strategy. If they sampled prospective Mercedes Benz owners, they would find out that we want leather and power-retractable side-view mirrors, etc., as standard features.

Excellent observation about side mirrors.

2021 Genesis G90

Hi again,
    I visited the dealer Euromotorcars and this is what he offered me for e350 sport with p1, and some other stuff..
    Negotiated price $52392 includes conquest rebate of $2000
    Sticker was $58500
    MB prepaid Maintenance 1560
    Wheel n tire protect 1995
    Acquisition fee 795
    Sales tax (MD) full taxes 3155
    License 340
    Doc fee 199
    33 month lease 12k miles per yr
    Monthly payment 803.95
    Down payment 5293

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.
    edited January 2012
    I do not believe that is a good deal! If you are putting 5293 down, which covers most of your add-ons, I believe you can do much better. I would go to at least 2 other dealerships and compare pricing on a lease like yours. To go to just one dealer is like commiting new car suicide.

I have one question - it seems like you are paying all the sales taxes up front -is that normal for your state. I do know that some states require that taxes be paid up front on leases - so check to make sure your state requires up-front payment of taxes on your lease. If not, you are in even worse shape than I thought!

2021 Genesis G90

I was just a my dealership and found out the following:

All new E350's currently at the port are being "held" until February because they are now coming in from Germany with the ability to burn gasoline that is 85% ethanol. The E350's sold prior to that cannot burn 85% ethanol, only 90% ethanol. That is the reason there has been a shortage of 2012 E350 Sedans - they were not building sufficient quantities of the engine version that cannot burn 85% enthanol - they were waiting until the new version of the engine was introduced in February. Very interesting, to say the least. That is why they had such "rich" incentives on the 2012 through December - to sell all of the previous versions unable to burn 85% enthanol. Who ever said the Germans weren't smart? Not me! I just hope that the 2012 versions sold prior to that date don't lose tremendous value due to the inability to burn 85% enthanol!

Also found out why Mercedes has resisted making leather seating standard - it's because they sell thousands and thousands of E class sedans in Europe and Asia as TAXI CABS! Cabbies do not want leather in their E class sedans because leather does not wear as well as the MB Tex. I knew there had to be a reason, and now we have the reason. Of course, Mercedes could make leather standard on all E class sedans produced for export to the U.S., but that would be too simple, I guess.

2021 Genesis G90

My apologies. I meant to say "10%" and "15%" ethanol, not 90% and 85%. The new E350's can burn 15% ethanol while those sold prior to February can only burn 10% ethanol. Sorry for the confusion.

2021 Genesis G90

Odd that they wouldn't have made that change at the time they switched to the new engine for the '12s....
    edited January 2012
    What can I say? The EPA is requiring all manufacturers who sell cars and trucks in the U.S. to ensure that their engines can run on 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol. I don't know the effective date of that requirement, but it is obvious Mercedes is making sure their vehicles meet those EPA requirements.

To burn up to 15% ethanol, the fuel/air mixture must be set up correctly by the computer that literally runs the engine. Also, in order to maintain the 302 horsepower specs and the torque specs, obviously the engine intakes and fuel mixtures must be adjusted. One of the first consequences of higher ethanol fuels is a drop in fuel economy, however octane is also affected.

It will be interesting to see what happens when these revised engines hits showrooms and the responses of the new owners to their experiences with the revised engines.

2021 Genesis G90