Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid

Comments

• hpatel79hpatel79 Member Posts: 4
    I did make sure that Maryland is one of those few states that requires all the sales tax to be paid upfront for the leased vehicles however if you decide to buy the same exact vehicle at the end of the lease you don't need to pay the tax again. I added 2000 miles more per year and wheel and tire protection as well as prepaid maintenance which was $1590 and the tax title and tags. Do you think a $1590 is reasonable for 33 months maintenance?
    I am planning to go to another dealer as well.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Maintenance from Mercedes for 36 months is about $1000. You are also getting the tire and wheel insurance package as well, then that is a good price.

It's always smart to go to at least three dealerships, if at all possible to make sure you get the best deal. I am not an expert on leasea, but I do know that money factors have gone up considerably since January 3rd.

Hope I've helped you out a little!

2021 Genesis G90

• bevbranbevbran Member Posts: 40
    On the topic of fuel economy, after my first tank I'm at 25mpg. Keeping in mind I have the 4Matic and spent (too much) time at idle while getting acquainted with the car, syncing garage door opener, etc. etc. I think that's pretty good. My driving is mixed, some highway, some around town and in my '09 I was usually in the 22-23 mpg range.
    After two weeks of driving this fabulous car I am more convinced than ever that P2 was worth the money... for me. (Silly as it sounds, the trunk closer is great! How pathetic is it that I want to push a button to close a trunk, LOL...) Headlights well worth the money for P2. Learning curve is quite steep for all the voice command, sound, nav, electronic display---every day I learn something new and appreciate this fine ride even more.
    The fuel economy will improve. I have 1800 miles on the car now and this morning, I drove 48 miles on I-95 at 65 mph and got 32 miles per gallon. Remember, that is strictly highway driving. Combined highway and city is 25.7 mpg. That is 5 mpg better than I ever got ony 2011. That, to me, is significant. All it can do is get better as the car begins to break-in.

As for your learning curve, I still pick up new functions every week. Yesterday, I decided to listen to some CD's. I played around with some readouts and found a function selection that allows me to select a CD by "ALBUM COVER" instead of title. What tun happens is that a kind of "round-table" comes up and shows each album cover and you then "turn" this table around until the album cover that you want cones to the front center. Each album cover is in fill color and shows the exact cover as if it was in your hand. truly unbelievable. My 2011 did not have that capability. Even when the CD is playing, the album cover, in full color is displayed. I believe either Gracenote picks it up off each CD once it is read by the computer or some other audio function picks it up.

You'll see the function once you start selecting options on the bottom of the screen when a CD is playing.

2021 Genesis G90

Hey, that's fun--CD covers. I"ll have to look for that. Today, while driving I couldn't find the "Weather Radio" option on the screen...so I hit the voice button and said "Weather Radio" and it went right to it! Sometimes it'll recognize my request to find my iPod...and other times it plays dumb if I'm not in the right screen. Still learning, learning....
    There is a "voice training" program built right into the system.
    You can train the voice recognition system to recognize your voice. One tutorial is for commands and there is another for numbers. Once you have completEd both tutorials, your voice commands will be more easily recognized by your computer. Try it - you'll see what I mean.

2021 Genesis G90

If you want the weather function from satellite radio, push the contoller forward (up) and turn the controller all the way clockwise. That will take you to the "globe" icon on the right-top of your main menu. Push the controller down (select it) and then push it down again when Sirius weather comes up on the screen. You can now select 5-day weather outlook or current weather or today's weather or you can select "map" which will show you radar reports for rain, etc., and current weather conditions for your city, state or even the entire country. This feature is stupendous! I took out a 2-year subscription for weather and traffic because I liked it so much.

I know you will enjoy this feature. It is different than weather channels on your radio - this is entirely visual!

2021 Genesis G90

• lawcarlawcar Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2012
    That's an interesting feature and it's helpful reading everyone's tips. I tried picking up the manual and going through it, but it's pretty thick so I just skimmed it. I just learned a couple of other things. I tried to turn off the radio completely and pressed the control stick, but it shuts off the entire Command system. I found out that the radio is always on, and to silence it, you have to press mute. This is different than turning the radio off, and not intuitive. Also, I was looking to stop the voice command when the Nav system was on and getting me to a destination. I thought that there would be a control function within the Nav system to stop announcing the driving instructions all the time. I don't think there is, and to stop the announcement, you have to press the Mute button while the announcement is being made. If you just press mute when the announcement is not being made (i.e., when the Nav system is operating but nothing is being announced at the time), then it doesn't silence the directions.
    Hi Dave. Sounds like you are trying to get acquainted with your COMMAND system. COMMAND expertise takes many, many months to master. Just the commands alone are impossible to remember there are so many of them. I just made a list of the most frequently used commands and, after 3 years of owning E350's (2010, 2011 and 2012) I am just beginning to learn how extensive this system is.

You can turn off Navigation Directions (that lovely lady who directs you to turn, etc.) by hitting the mute button. When you want to hear her again, just press the mute button again. I believe if you look inside one of the indexes or options when navigation is selected, at the bottom or very top of the screen, there is an option to include voice instructions and another to exclude voice instructions. I'm not in the car right now, but I've "turned her off" in one of my other cars that had the same COMMAND system as this one.

You will just have to do what most of us do with this very sophisticated system, trial and error. I used to sit in the car and literally play with the system until I got the hang of it.

I was lucky that I had a technologically "endowed" dealership individual who was trained by Mercedes to go over this system with me. Whenever I have a question or need help, I just call him and he goes through it for me over the phone while I'm in the car or I drive to the dealership and he sits with me.

Remember, if someone had to sit with you to go over every possible command and how the system operates from top to bottom, you'd still be at the dealership learning the COMMAND system - and remember, you got your car 3 weeks ago!

When you said you picked up the manual to go through it and it was pretty thick, so you just skimmed it was histerical!!! First of all, there is the owners manual, then there is the COMMAND manual (almost as thick as the owner's manual) and then there is another manual for audio (quick reference guide). Most people do not use more than 10% of the capabilities of the COMMAND system. From turning on and off the audio system, switching from SAT to FM to DISC and orally telling it which disc, which track, which radio frequency, which station on SAT, etc., has over 100 commands. Then, you have Navigation and telephone. I added voice tags to each of the contacts I use frequently in my address book so the COMMAND system will recognize the individual or company I want to call more quickly when I call out the name, like "call Dad, Justin, Michele, Walmart, Dr. Friedman" etc.

All I am trying to do is explain to you that it will take lots of time and lots of patience to get a good feel for the COMMAND system. And remember, that's just the AUDIO, TELEPHONE AND NAVIGATION. Think of all the other things you want to know about the SPEEDOMETER screen readouts and how to use those.

ENJOY!

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2012
    I received my renewal from my insurance company (one of the biggest, if not THE BIGGEST in the country) and even though I had no tickets or accidents for over 10 years, my rates when up by more than 20%. So after calling 6 other companies, I took a chance and called Mercedes Benz to see what they could do. They transferred me to the company they have a relationship with (I'm not mentioning the names of these companies because I don't know if I can) and within 5 minutes, I had a policy for the same coverages and I saved $650 a year when compared to the best rates from all the other companies. That was significant.

I drive about 9000 miles per year and have 250-500 thousand liability with 100K property damage, 250-500K uninsured/underinsured motorist, 1000 deductible collision and "0" deductible comprehensive. They also included one year newer vehicle replacement for a total loss, and I have PIP for 10K which is required here in Florida.

If you own or lease a new Mercedes, you might want to check out the insurance company - they have an arrangement with Mercedes Benz for new car owners. You can contact Mercedes at the same number you use for roadside assistance. If they don't list "auto insurance separately" just connect to their customer service extension.

The company is a well-known insurance company. They cinsider education, tickets and accident as well credit rating. If I can save that much, perhaps you can, too! They write 12 month policies only, so you don't have 6 month policies where they raise rates at the end of every 6 months.

2021 Genesis G90

You're definitely right. I'm just continuing to learn by doing. My cell phone (and my 5 year old wireless phone at home) have features I've never used or even knew existed. I'm happy as long as I am able to answer the cell phone, dial a number, plug in a destination, turn on the radio and change channels and fill up the gas tank.
    90% of my postings on this site are done on my IPhone, believe it or not. Since getting my iPhone; I hardly use my computer.

What's nice about this phone is that it downloads my address book with all numbers and info automatically and I don't have to manually enter info like I did with my old Motorola Razor. Also, this phone hooks up with the iPad adapter that is in the console (which use to be in the glove box on the 2011 and 2010 E350's) and works like an iPod.

The Bluetooth function is much clearer and crisper on this new phone as well. It can also stream music with the same bluetooth function.

What do you think about the ability of newly imported E350's as of the middle of February to burn up to 15% ethanol and our cars only up to 10% ethanol? I don't think it will effect resale prices on our cars for a couple of years.

2021 Genesis G90

Yes, the Iphone is pretty handy. I sync it up to my computer to sycn and download phone numbers, appointments. Not sure about the ethanol difference. The 10% get better mileage, so that's a plus.
    Let me know if I'm wrong, but I believe the higher the ethanol percentage, the higher the octane, but poorer fuel economy. Or, is it the other way around? But I do know that if and/or when the ethanol subsidies are removed, which congress has been talking about, the cost of producing ethanol will go up and the more it will cost for a gallon of gasoline with ethanol in it as an additive. So, things will even out eventually. I would not be surprised if the EPA requirement is dropped by 2016, or sooner.

2021 Genesis G90

YES - I got a chuckle also!

2021 Genesis G90

• damandamifdamandamif Member Posts: 15
    Hello there,
    In reference to ethanol... are you saying an e350 purchased in December can use ethanol? It has to be 10% ethanol not 15%? Thanks for your response.
    I think you misunderstood me! Flex-fuel 3.5 liter engines that can burn 15% ethanol will be released on Feb 15. Prior to that, they can burn 10% ethanol.

Found out one more thing about this - the E coupes and other Mercedes vehicles using the flex fuel 3.5 liter engines will be the only ones affected. From what my friend said at Mercedes, the E350 sedans won't be affected - just the coupes.

I don't know what to believe now -'too much conflicting info.

2021 Genesis G90

Oooops. My bad. Looking to cut costs if possible.
    I just found the first tiny thing the E350 needs to improve. The memory settings button function. You actually have to hold the button until you've reached your desired positions(seating, mirrors, etc.) Seems like one touch selection should be the standard in a MB. Just nit-picking. I love the car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Maybe that's only with the ignition on? My car (not a Mercedes) is the same way with the ignition on... That's in case you bump the button by accident.. But, with the ignition off, you can just push the button once, and it adjusts all functions without holding it in....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'll try hitting the memory button with the start/stop button in the off position and see what happens. Thanks.
    The reason Mercedes does npt include leather as a standard feature is because they sell thousands and thousands of E class sedans in Europe and Asia as TAXI-CABS. Taxi companies and cabbies themselves want vinyl (MB tex) because it wears better than leather. This is according to my source at Mercedes. Interesting!

2021 Genesis G90

• kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    I don't think the specification of US cars is limited by the desires of the Asian cab driver. The reason Mercedes does not include leather as a standard feature in the US is "decontenting" and the desire to meet a price point. Leather was standard on my 2000 E320. They started charging extra for it two or three years later.

Do most of those cabs in Europe and Asia diesel or four cylinder gas engines along with thier MB Tex? If they can put the new engine in US cars they could put leather in US cars.
    I had a 1987 300E, a 1991 300E and a 1993 300E, all of which had MBTex standard with leather optional at additional cost. My 1987 420 SEL had standard leather. The S Class cars came standard with leather while my E Class vehicles always came standard with MBTex. It is quite possible your E came standard with leather, but none of mine ever did.

As for the American market, one would think they would come with leather over European models without much difficulty. If US cars all came standard with leather, the per vehicle cost factor for that feature, one would logically think, would be a lot less than $1670.

The rationale of "...keeping the per vehicle cost more competitive in price" just doesn't sound logical or realistic. The pricing on E Class sedan has gone up about $1000 each year since 2010. If leather was made standard, the per vehicle cost would be about $1000 or less. Don't you think most E Class buyers would be willing to pay $1000 more for their cars? Do you think $1000 more in price would dissuade prospective buyers from purchasing an E Class sedan? Doubtful! So there obviously is another reason!

2021 Genesis G90

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    A movie by Albert Brooks, circa 1985

He is on the phone with his Mercedes salesman, finalizing the option list, and starts asking him about MB-Tex.. "What is that? It's not leather? $40,000, and I don't get leather? It's better than leather? What's wrong with leather?"

It's hilarious.... and, 27 years old... to give you an idea of how long Mercedes has been putting vinyl in their high-end cars...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2012
    Stupendous post! I just posted in the luxury forum that they should make sunroofs optional and leather standard. How about that? Although the MB Tex happens to look, feel and wear as well, is not better than their leather - which I had to get because I wanted ventilated seats. What can I say?

2021 Genesis G90

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is working on a story about car technology and is looking for recent or current car shoppers for whom technology was a critical factor. Were you looking to pack your car with as much new technology as possible? Are there special technologies and systems that you care about more than others? And are you at all concerned about the role technology plays with distracted driving? Please send an email with contact information and a brief description of your experience by no later than Sunday, February 5, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I've had both leather and MB Tex in my E's and I have to say I was surprised at how the leather wore in just two years. The MB Tex stays new looking BUT!!!! How I miss that wonderful leather smell....
  • wirelesswireless Member Posts: 47
    My wife insisted on MB Tex in our recent Benz purchase. I wanted leather but it was her car so went with MB Tex. I'm pleasantly surprised at how not bad it is. It is not a leather smell but not a Japanese car chemical smell either. Again not bad. And most importantly after owning the car a couple months the MB Tex has softened up and is almost identical to leather in feeling. My wife wanted to be able to '409' it and there you have it.
    edited January 2012
    This new 2012 E350 is the first one i've had out of at least 10 I've owned over the past 30 years that has leather because I HAD TO ORDER THE CAR WITH LEATHER because I ordered ventilated seats. I actually PREFER the MBtex over leather for all the reasons you all mentioned AND the leather "aroma" is no longer noticeable after the 3 months since I took delivery. Also, remember, leather is on seating surfaces only! It is not on the door panels, armrests or anywhere else. That 1690 bucks sure doesn't get you much in the way of leather, that's for sure!

MBtex happens to wear better and cleans up much better. But...let's face it - when you spend $57,000+++ for a car, leather should be a standard feature. That is all we are trying to communicate.

Amen to MBtex!!!

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2012
    All things being equal, I would just prefer all leather for my car at this price point. I could see the C-series and the BMW 3-series with vinyl standard and leather as an option (I'm not disparaging either car, just referring to the fact that they are more entry level cars and a couple of thousand dollars for leather may be a consideration for a prospective buyer), but agree with Mike and Albert Brooks that it should be standard. I'll let you know in a few years how my experience with MbTex compares with Mike's.
    edited January 2012
    David, honestly, I cannot tell the difference between leather and MBtex. I've had both now that this one has it. Quite frankly, I prefer the MBtex because it cleans up better, wears better, and feels and looks just like optional leather. Sure, it has a little leather aroma, but having the leather seating surfaces covered in leather and nothing else, it is not worth the $1600+ additional. Not even the seat backs have leather nor do the side armrests, center console armrests, nor anything else.

But certainly, leather should be standard in a luxury sedan that MSRP's for $64,000 like mine did!

I know you will enjoy the MBtex. I sure did!

2021 Genesis G90

Agreed on all counts.
    From what my source tells me, Mercedes is considering removing the "star" hood ornament from the E Class Sport Models and changing the grille to resemble the C Class and CLS Class grilles. That would be a major departure from many, many years of having the star hood ornaments on the E Class vehicles. But from what they have done on the rest of the line with the ornents, it would seem logical.

There have always been complaints from owners of Mercedes Benz vehicles who have had their hood ornaments ripped off by so-called "collectors" of star ornaments, perhaps this is just a sign of the times. I must admit that when I lived in San Diego, my 1993 E class hood ornament was confiscated by at least 3 different "collectors"! They were a pain to replace at that time because when they got ripped off, damage was always done because they were not held in place by heavy wire like they are now.

2021 Genesis G90

Does that mean our E350's will be collector's items now?
    That would be highly doubtful!

2021 Genesis G90

Yes, that is correct! You must hold the setting button (1, 2, or 3) in until the seat, mirrors and/or steering wheel have stopped adjusting. This has been the case for as many year as I have owned E Class vehicles. Other cars I have owned have not required holding the memory button to access the desired setting. I guess this is just a quirk in the design and/or engineering.

But, as you mentioned, this is minor thing. I agree with the host in that it is probably a safety design to ensure that if you are driving, the memory setting does not inadvertently start moving if accidentally touched.

2021 Genesis G90

• kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    No, but enterprising "collectors" will start stealing grilles.
    HaHa
    GHSTUDIO! Responding to your post of January 11th regarding Mercedes Benz Mbrace stolen vehicle recovery assistance - I just got off the phone with Mbrace technical assistance. As of 2010, when Hughes took over this system and went digital as opposed to analog prior to 2010, if your Mercedes Benz is stolen and you have an existing paid account with Mbrace, they can locate your vehicle anywhere in the continental United States and parts of southern Canada, even if your are nowhere near a cell tower! They locate the car by Satellite Signals.

Here is how it works:

Your car is stolen and you contact the local police jurisdiction where the car was last seen. They issue a case number almost immediately. You then call Mbrace - and then put the police department on the phone. They verify the case number and Mbrace sends a signal to the car via satellite. The car then sends a signal back, via satellite to Mbrace. Mbrace then uses GPS satellite technology to locate the exact location of the car and assist the police or other governmental jurisdiction (State Highway Patrol, State Trooper, City or Village Police Department, etc., or whoever has jurisdiction over the area where the car is located) in the recovery of the vehicle.

I asked them if it was necessary for the car to have access to a cell tower or signal, and they said NO! The also told me they can lock or unlock the doors and/or trunk to the vehicle via satellite - not via cell communications. However, if you are traveling in an area that has no cell tower access via cell phone or via car transmission, you cannot communicate with Mbrace since they use roaming cell phone transmission to speak with the driver of the car. In other words, if you have a flat or an emergency, if you press one of the 3 Mbrace buttons on the overhead panel in the car, you will not be able to connect with Mbrace for that emergency. If your cell phone won't work because of lack of signal, your Mbrace communications system will not be able to be activated. BUT THE STOLEN VEHICLE RECOVERY SYSTEM WILL BE FUNCTIONAL WITH OR WITHOUT CELL TOWER OR CELL SIGNAL AVAILABILITY.

When you posted that it won't work without a cell signal, I was accepting of that fact, however, it bothered me because I didn't think my insurance company would give me a discount for the recovery system (same discount as they give Lojack customers) unless it operated independently of cell tower signal availability.

So, those of you who were considering Mbrace for stolen vehicle recovery services can now proceed with that decision since it operates via Satellite, not by cell.

I agree that the cost factor is a little steep (about $260 per year on a two year contract, a little less on a three year contact), it does provide other services.

I just felt I wanted to correct the possible misunderstanding about Mbrace stolen vehicle location services. If you should have any questions, you should contact Mbrace and they will explain everything for you.

2021 Genesis G90

Rather than steal my grille, I would prefer if they just took the whole car! That way, my insurance company would replace the car with a 1 year newer vehicle. LOL!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    abacom...thanks for clarifying this. I assumed that communications with mbrace was all thru cell towers.....I can guarantee you that I am not alone in assuming this.

Mercedes obviously has no clue how to market this feature....they should have diagrams showing how mbrace works.....rather than "trust us" which is about all they show in their marketing (and manuals) today.

If only the emergency function operated the same way, mbrace might actually be worth what mercedes seems to think it's worth.

Even with the satellite capability, wouldn't it be logical to be able to immobilize the car thru the satellite....If you can lock/unlock the doors, it should be easy to do something that actually would help if the car is stolen. I am certainly less than impressed that they can open the trunk when they can't imobilize the car. Maybe the next version of mbrace will be able to turn on the radio to a nice rock station because the guy that stole the car doesn't know how to work the radio....as he drives to the chop shop.
    I said "unlock", not open the trunk. It is up to Mercedes to produce a vehicle that can be immobilized, not Mbrace! Once immobilized, how is it remobilized? It can be very costly to engineer and design something like that. Not only that, immobilizing and remobilizing a vehicle has certain liabilities associated with those functions - but these issues have to be addressed by lawyers, not me.

All I was trying to do was correct some misinformation for those of us who want to use Mbrace for stolen vehicle services. We all have our opinions, and I respect yours.

2021 Genesis G90

• ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    immobilization could be as simple as a relay cutting off the fuel pumps. Yes, there are liability issues, but I think there are alarms on the market that will cut off the engine after a couple of blocks. You are right, mbrace (hughes?) wouldn't design the car electronics, but if they can unlock the doors, it seems like it would be pretty simple to introduce some sort of remote "engine immobilization". At least it would stop drive off theft.

I wonder how many cars are stolen and driven off vs towed? Anyone know????
    I don't know the answer to your question, however I have seen many, many cars "reposessed" by being simply towed from the rear! They lift up the rear of the car with long "tong-like" protusions, like those found on a fork lift, and merely pull the car right out of its parking space. If the car has a mercury switch, I would imagine the alarms would sound, but who listens to alarms on cars anymore?

As to which manner vehicles are stolen the most, I have no idea.

2021 Genesis G90

Hughes Telematics operates the Mbrace systems in all Mercedes vehicles equipped with digital technology capabilities. I don't know if they operate other systems such as Lexus Link, BMW Assist, On Star, etc. But I would not be surprised since the basic systems are similar, if not identical. They all seem to do the same things and operate the same way. I asked Hughes if they did, but was told that info was unavailable to me, as a consumer.

Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this?

2021 Genesis G90

• malbert2malbert2 Member Posts: 4
    Am new to this forum, was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice/thoughts. I have about 9 months remaining on my CLK-350 cabrio lease and am already over milage so would like to move into an E350 cabrio lease. The build of the vehicle that i want seems to have an MSRP of apprx $64k (with P1 package). I understand that getting out of my lease early will likely add on to any potential payment, but can anyone give me an idea of what a good lease price would be on this car with everything rolled into the payment and/or whether on this vehicle, it might make sense to look at purchasing it? Thanks!
    edited January 2012
    I am not a lease officionado, but I can tell you that Mercedes did have a "pull ahead" program last month, but I do not know if it is still available. Assuming your lease is wih Mercedes Benz Financial, there are or were two incentives available:

If you purchase or lease car, you can get a $2000 cash incentive toward the financing or leasing of your vehicle with MB Financial.

To find out what the current incentives are, go to the top of the home page of Edmunds and click on NEW cars. Then click on incentives and rebates. Then click on Mercedes. Then click on E350 and then convertible. I believe there is a special lease rate right now with about 5,000 total out of pocket (not counting 2000 loyalty) for 699 per month on a $62,000+ vehicle)

Check with your Mercedes Benz Dealer to see if they still have a pull ahead program as well.

Where do you live? If you tell this forum where you reside, there may be someone who has leased/purchased a new convertible who can be of assistance in getting a better price.

Good Luck

2021 Genesis G90

• malbert2malbert2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks very much for the info. I live in Long Island, NY, but would be willing to travel a little bit for the right deal. I know that MB had an 8 month pull ahead during december, but that they dropped it to 4 months for January.