Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Hey ktt:

It's a learning experience for both of us as I'm new to car audio too!

I saw in the soundgate document the reference to relocate the HL HU, and I agree that's a ridiculous solution; I assume it relates to HUs in general and not to a specific model?

Out of curiosity I downloaded the installation manual for the DEH-3700MP and they have a wire labeled "Blue/white -- To system control terminal of the power amp or Auto-antenna relay control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC) / System remote control" which I take to be the "remote" line, so not sure why this wouldn't control the factory amp properly. I went the other way -- am controlling an aftermarket amp with the HL OEM HU; connected the OEM HU's "remote" line to the aftermarket amp's remote input, and it works fine.

Anyway you've got your system working, and based on the above post from chrisb74, you're probably better off without the factory amp!!!

Three years back tried contacting JBL to get specs for the HL's speakers but their response was the same as the one they gave you...
    Someone else on these boards sometime back also said replacing just the HL HU improved the sound quality noticeably, but don't remember whether they had the JBL system and if so whether they bypassed the factory amp.

I'd be very interested to see those pics!
  • kttktt Member Posts: 4
    Thanks again for your input and research, landdriver. What year Highlander do you have, and do you remember how many pins the HU connector had?

I'm pretty sure the XR4 app notes refer to the specific Highlander HU that's paired with JBL amp. There seems to be some strange interaction between the to that makes replacing the OEM HU hard.

I think Toyota switched the Highlander's sound system circa 2004, since aftermarket harnesses for Toyota Highlander HUs for 2000-2004 doesn't fit my 2006 HU, which has 20 pins.

I'm leaning hard towards bypassing the JBL amp and drive the speakers directly from my Pioneer HU. Just a bit more research to see if I can use the JBL amp from the Pioneer HU's line level outputs...

Congrats chrisb74 on a successful install! Love to see those pics too.

Khoa
    Khoa:

My HL is an '01, as I believe chrisb74's is too. I never replaced my HU, just the power amp and speakers, but since chrisb74 just changed his hopefully he can tell you (hard to judge from chrisb74's photo in post 1046).

I know the XR4 app note referred to the HL's HU, but I'm assuming the XR4 is a headunit model and thus that document was specific for the XR4, and maybe the XR4 for some reason can't turn on and off the HL OEM amp, whereas other aftermarket headunit models perhaps can.

The 2004 model year seems reasonable for an upgrade to the HL's sound system as this model year saw a minor redesign to the HL.

Out of curiosity do you know where the OEM amp is located on your '06 Highlander Hybrid? I suspect it's not in the exact same location as for the '01s-'03s as '04 saw the introduction of the third row seat and the relocation of the spare tire from the interior cargo area to the exterior under the vehicle; also I think the traction batteries for the hybrid are under the second row seat?
  • kttktt Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I do think there has been some major audio redesign for the HL Hybrid in 2006. My OEM HU has a 2 20-pin connectors and a 16 pin connector (I'll edit this post to add pics soon), with smaller pins than previous incarnations of the OEM HUs.

Also, the amp I believe is somewhere in the right rear cabin. I will try to find it tomorrow. I remember sneaking a peak at the Toyota parts dealer's schematics on their computer. Yes, the hybrid batteries are under the 2nd row seats.

BTW, the XR4 is a line level converter that's meant to go between after market HUs and OEM amps. This is the reason that I believe their assertion that the JBL amp needs the OEM HU to work. Afterall, it's not to their advantage to suggest "relocation" if it's not necessary, right?

Khoa
  • chrisb74chrisb74 Member Posts: 8
    I am not familiar with the newer JBL system in the Highlander, but I just got finished changing the HU in my 2001 limited. I bypassed the amp and I am driving the speakers with the HU only. I think the HU has more power than the factory amp did. The amp is physically very small and I dont think it is pushing very much wattage at all. You probably have 8 speakers so hopefully your amp is a little but better. I was planning on getting an amp eventually but right now I am very pleased with the JVC hu and the factory speakers. Better speakers would have a lower sensitivity and would probably need more power however.

Here is a link to some pictures I took during the install. I just dumped all the pictures so some of them are reduntant.

Highlander Head unit install
    Khoa:

Didn't realize the XR4 is a level converter; can't say I remember anyone in the HL boards saying they drove the OEM amp with an aftermarket HU, and you'd expect soundgate would know what they're talking about, so it may indeed be the case.

Since chrisb74's 15W per channel estimate of the factory amp's output power agrees with mine made a while back (see post 289), and since the Pioneer DEH-3700MP is rated at 22W per channel, you're probably better off powering the speakers with your HU (although the installation will require running speaker wires from the HU to the speakers). You might first try temporarily running speaker wires to verify the sound indeed sounds good enough for you; if not consider adding an aftermarket amplifier...

chrisb74:

Wasn't able to see the photos; just saw the faces.com logo and a small box; may have something to do with the "MemberID" term in the URL. But judging from the photo at crutchfield.com I imagine it looks pretty slick!
  • packisbak1packisbak1 Member Posts: 3
    I am buying a new Highlander, want leather but don't want to pay for the Limited. Therefore, I am considering having the dealer install the leather. Some dealers claim they get their leather from the same supplier as Toyota and it comes with a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty while another dealer claims they are lying and can't possibly be using the same supplier. Does anybody have any knowledge about this and any advice? I live in the Chicago area. Thanks.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I also live in Chicago area and I have 2004 HL without leather, light gray interior. I have not missed leather.

On same similar subject, my back seats are looking dirty with teenagers spilling food on it. Any products to clean the seats out there someone would recommend.
  • jjsjjs Member Posts: 18
    Do not even consider unless they will show the car with leather installed by them. I was persuaded by the dealer that the leather they install is the same as the factory. Nether the leather not the installation come close to the factory. Never do that again.
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    For stains, before you use any other cleaners on them, use "TECH" Stain Remover. Works GREAT!
  • bv4runnerbv4runner Member Posts: 6
    I would like to get seat covers for my wife's 2006 Highlander. Beside the dealer I would like to learn if anyone could recommend another source for a quality seat cover that fits well. Thank you, Bill
  • cino72cino72 Member Posts: 10
    I see 100's of post with people saying I have them and I dont but no mention of brand's, ease of instal, damage to paint and a good source to purchase them.
    I want the bug deflector for the hood, wind deflector for the moon roof and maybe the little visors for the windows
    thanks in advance
    You're right -- a lot of people say that their wind deflector was easy to install but fail to mention which brand it was!

I have the Toyota brand hood bug deflector and it was quite easy to install -- no drilling; just affixing adhesive-backed sheet plastic strips to protect the paint and tightening some set screws. The Toyota brand is shaped a bit differently than the aftermarket ones, so you should look at both to see if you have a preference.

The sunroof wind deflector I installed was a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Toyota brand, meaning it's the one sold in Japan for HLs there, and is different from the one sold here in the U.S. interestingly enough; available from www.myautofashion.com and also quite easy to install; only reason I bought this one is the U.S. Toyota version wasn't available yet at the time.
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    I went with Toyota brand hood and sunroof deflector. They look good and install was a breeze.
  • jjsjjs Member Posts: 18
    I got my covers from seatcoverfactory.com for my 2005 HL about 1 year ago. They holding up ok.
  • goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    I put a Toyota brand wind deflector on the hood on my wifes 2001 H/L Limited in June 2001. It went on quite easily and is still functioning.
  • cbell5cbell5 Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas/leads on a storage bin that would fit between the front seats?
    I went and talked to my dlr today about auto locks (dont ask) and he gave me the wind deflector for the moon roof for free they seem to be a great dealership.

any idea where i can see pics of the toyota brand and after market hood deflector would be nice if shown on a bluestone. I would really like a nice form fitting that matches the hoods contours
    thanks for the replys
    There's a Toyota brand stand-alone center console that retails for about $200 from the dealer; it's maybe 6" wide, 16" long and 10" deep, available in gray or beige to match your interior. There may be aftermarket center consoles available too; I'm not sure where but start with www.jcwhitney.com, one of the most popular online auto parts retailers. :)
    I'd imagine the hood deflector would look pretty good on a bluestone; see http://catalog.toyotaparts4u.com/MC-BAGF-CI.aspx for a pic of a Toyota brand hood deflector, and see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bug-Shield-2001-2006-Toyota-Highlander-Deflector_W0QQitemZ8- 007230495QQcategoryZ38659QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for a pic of an after-market hood deflector.
    Thanks for the links
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    I'm trying to flog my center console and wrote about it here some time ago. If anyone's interested in it please e-me:
    bhennessey at bluecrab dot org
    gazguzler, "Toyota Highlander Owners: Accessories & Modifications" #967, 8 Aug 2005 2:21 pm
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm not sure what you mean by "flog", but just a reminder that buying/selling is not permitted here.
    Any one know of a to hook my mp3 player up with either the FM or tape adapter? and whats the quality of sound from each?

Also i would like to add 1 sub just for a little bass is there any easy way to do this.even a self powered sub would be fine.

I have the limited HL with the JBL 6disc changer head unit.
    Thanks in advance
  • loggerlogger Member Posts: 8
    cino, I have been using an FM transmitter with my iPod and the sound quality is pretty ordinary. Dull in fact. Am looking to get a tape adapter which surprisingly, after doing some research appears to be a better solution. If I will the lottery I might even put in an AUX input for a direct line it.
    I want to get at the connections behind my 6 disc in dash stacker. to do this it would eppear the simplest way will be to remove it. How do I get it out? This is my setup. image

Do I just pry the surround which I have numebered (1)off? Or must I do something with the parts numbered (3) & (4)?

Thanks..
  • rodney12rodney12 Member Posts: 32
    I did this on my 2006 HiHy to add factoryinteractive's XM radio. You do pry off #1 (#2 is attached to it). The bottom came loose first for me. I wouldn't recommend any tools, just fingernails and lots of careful pulling. For me, it came off just as I was about to give up. It is held on by compression fittings only.

Once 1&2 are gone, there are 6 10mm bolts holding everything else in.

Oh, and (at least on my 2006) you cannot do this without first popping the little cap forward and to the left of the shifter with a small flat headed screwdriver. Once the cap is off a small button is exposed. Pressing this button releases the shifter so you can take it all the way down and out of your way. Parking Brake HIGHLY recommended.

Good luck!
    Thanks Rodney, just what I wanted to know. If I stop worrying about breaking something for a couple of days it will enable my fingernails to grow long enough to pull it off ;)
    As an aside, I am in Australia and my car has the shift lock override button labeled and readily accessible. Different laws I guess! Cheers.
    You're not the only one worried about fingernails -- see post 2243 in the 2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander discussion for another person's experience in replacing the radio.
  • comancoman Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know of a cargo liner for the 06 HL that covers not only the carpet but the backs of the 2nd row seats and the cargo area sides? I don't see one in the Toyota accessories.
    Thanks.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Never heard of one like that for the Highlander. Sounds like your looking for something similar to a pickup bed liner. Do they make such things for SUVs?
  • comancoman Member Posts: 11
    I've had one in my 97 Mountaineer for years. It is a heavy vinyl or plastic flexable material, sort of like a tarp, that sticks to the carpet and sides with velco tabs. It was specifically taylored for the Mountaineer and fits over the floor, wheel wells and up the backs of the 2nd row seats.

After 9 years hauling all sorts of stuff, the cargo area still looks brand new. I was hoping to be able to do the same in the HL.
  • jeanjujeanju Member Posts: 2
    hello, i also need to remove my console. how did your removel go, can you give me some direction to make things easyer????
    Actually I've gone the other way -- I added a console to a HL that didn't have one, so the instructions I gave in post 1052 are the reverse of what I did, but hopefully will be enough to get you going.

Some tips:

1. It's easy to scratch or nick the plastic panels with a screwdriver if you're not mindful of what you are doing; go slowly.

2. Put two or three layers of masking tape on slotted screwdrivers if they are used to pry plastic parts to minimize nicking.

3. Be sure to keep track of which screws go where.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and let us know how it goes! :)
  • 4toys4toys Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 Highlander that does not have a center console. I would like to add one if it makes sense. The dealer told me that it would be over $500 just for the parts. Is there an alternative that makes more economical sense and looks factory?
    If gazguzler's proposal doesn't work out for you note there are two or three options for installing a center console in an '01:

1. There is a Toyota-brand center console available for '01s from the dealership that is a stand-alone console, completely different from the console integrated with the shifter introduced with the '02 HL. It retails for around $200 and looks very nice; some '01s came from the factory with these. I've seen them for sale on eBay occasionally in the past; haven't checked recently. See post 926 for more info.

2. You can buy the parts for the '02 style console that is integrated with the shifter; the cost is around $1000 and requires some creative retrofitting. See posts 268, 314, 343 and 320 for more info.

3. It's possible there are aftermarket center consoles out there, though I haven't looked into this. You might start with www.jcwhitney.com.
  • jeanjujeanju Member Posts: 2
    You are a very good writer!
    do you have to remove the shifter knob to remove the center console?
    and where are the three screws that hold the console to the dash located?
    You are a very good writer!

Finally some recognition around here!

do you have to remove the shifter knob to remove the center console?

No, the shift lever and the black panel below it are not affected by the console removal; you just need to remove the woodgrain/aluminum/hammeredmetal colored bezel that houses the 12V outlet and cigarette lighter. To do this grasp firmly around the inside of this bezel and pull straight up and away.

and where are the three screws that hold the console to the dash located?

These screws will be readily visible after you remove the aforementioned bezel.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
  • ga_bulldawgsga_bulldawgs Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the game of installing and I have a question dealing with the battery and the odometer. The owner's manual states that I need to contact Toyo to get some correct procedure? Do you leave the battery connected to save your trip settings or do you disconnect the negative side and start the install? I found a wealth of knowledge on this site!! Thanks in advance. :confuse:
  • ga_bulldawgsga_bulldawgs Member Posts: 4
    I purchased the Panasonic CX-DP880 to add the new HU that I'm installing. The 20' cable comes with a grounding wire at the end that plugs into the changer not the HU. I've read from other post on this wonderful site, on how to remove the panels from the center console. From those who have removed these, is there a screw that I can mount this wire to or can you splice in a longer wire and then run it to the back of the HU to complete the ground? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :confuse: ">
    I have a few questions about my 06 Ltd.

The first question is on the rear heater, is it an electric heater seprate from the HL's regular heating system. just wondering if it was more of an instant heat or does the HL engine have to be warm before it produces heat?

The second question is on wiring. My HL did not come with the AC or the A/V plugs that are located in the back of the center console if you purchase the HL with rear seat dvd. I wanted to know if the wiring is actually there but not connected incase i decide to add some type of rear seat entertainment, i understand i would have to add the jacks and plugs ect.

The last question is on leather seats. I have factory cloth but we may add leather and i wanted to know if any one has tried to install the leather kits that are sold such as katzkin or classic soft. i have installed many car stereo's so i know interior but never really stripped or added material to seats.

any help is greatly appreciated.
  • ronghrongh Member Posts: 4
    hi, I have a very old toyota camry LE. It is 1995. There are two buttons in the remote control. The first one is for lock and unlock. But the second one does not work. I don't know what's the problem. How can I fix it? Thank you very much!
  • kenjidmkenjidm Member Posts: 7
    Hello All:

I am new and this is my first post, hopefully in the right section. Anyhow, I've been searching to see if anyone has or knows how to convert the keyless entry into the actual factory alarm. I've seen websites on other Toyota vehicles, but no the '06 Highlander.

Thanks!!!
  • bluffplacebluffplace Member Posts: 1
    Not sure on the 2006 but my 05 came with the engine immobilzer and I had to buy the Rs-3200 plus. The RS-3200 is a wiring harness that connects into the existing wiring system. It takes about 45min to install
  • 05customhl05customhl Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I am new to this board and was wondering if anyone can point me in a direction so I may find custom Highlander parts and or aftermarket parts?

I have a 2005 Highlander and enjoy modifying my cars. I am not that big into performance mods, but do enjoy doing appearance mods.

I understand that the Kluger (our Highlander overseas) has some different options and parts offered for it. If there is anyone over seas that could help me get some of these, I would greatly appreciate it.

If anyone can help, please feel free to email me at drmonkey1313@cox.net. Also, if there is anything I can do to help you, then please let me know and I will be glad to help. :)

Thanks!
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    http://www.allfortrucks.com/

I have purchased several appearance (but functional) items from the above website. Join the free VIP club as they continually have 20 - 25% off sales.
    Also check-out http://www.myautofashion.com for OEM Kluger parts. I've ordered from them a couple of times and they're reputable.
  • kenjidmkenjidm Member Posts: 7
    hello..I installed a single din in my highlander 06 and the kit the radio placed used looks crummy..You have a picture of your kit that you bought? Can you give me the website you bought it at and the exact one you bought?

Thanks for all your help..