Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• 4toys4toys Member Posts: 14
    Thank you landdriver. I found one at Toyotaworld and got it in for Christmas.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    You're welcome.
  • 05customhl05customhl Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a great holiday and new year! :)

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to find a manual for the 2005 Toyota Highlander that includes everything you could ever want to know about the mechanical, electrical, body, etc. (basically the manual the Toyota Techs. use)

I have seen one (for download) on Ebay, but I am hesitant to buy that one.

Please let me know where I can find this manual.

Thanks. :)
  • strongirlerstrongirler Member Posts: 7
    Hi landdriver,

I have read your posts regarding retrofitting the 2002 HL center console into the 2001 and your information has been extremely helpful. I am attempting to have this done to my 2001. Could you please tell me ,with regard to your answer:

"No, mounting holes for the 2002 side cover already existed under the mounting brackets in the seat frame,so that will make it a little easier for you; one of these sheetmetal assemblies was maybe 3" by 4", and the other was a small tab perhaps 1/2" by 1"; I used a saber saw and a grinding wheel attachment for my drill to remove these assemblies that were welded to the seat frame (the U.S. 2001 consoleless Highlander came AFTER the pre-2001 Japanese version of the Highlander which HAD the console, so these sheetmetal assemblies were afterthoughts to accommodate a seat side cover with cup holders)."

Does the U.S. Highlander have the mounting holes that already exist (as mentioned in the first sentence) or is it the Japanise version?

Thank you.
    Hi again landdriver,

Thank you for listing these parts to retrofit the 2002 HL center console into the 2001. I am going to order these parts per your following list:

Qty Part Number Description Price Each

1 58821-48020-A0 PANEL, CON 142.73
    1 55420-48010-E0 PANEL ASSY 95.45
    1 55620-48020-E0 HOLDER [non-permissible content removed] 124.61
    1 58801-48040-A0 BOX S/A, C 96.66
    2 90339-10014-A0 CAP 2.66
    1 58834-48020-A0 COVER, CON 89.90
    1 58912-48030-A0 BOX, RR CO 38.86
    1 58916-48020 MAT, BOX B 4.02
    1 58921-48030-A0 PANEL, RR 162.16
    1 58923-48010-A0 PANEL, CON 40.58
    1 58995-48020 BRACKET, C 22.63
    1 58996-48020 BRACKET, C 19.43
    1 58997-48020 BRACKET, C 24.70
    1 74102-48030-E0 BOX S/A, F 75.50
    1 74130-22160-A0 RECEPTACLE 70.18
    1 * 71862-48020-A0 SHIELD, FR 71.34
    6 90105-06228 BOLT,WASHE 1.32
    2 93530-54010 SCREW, TAP 1.32
    2 90159-50287 SCREW,W/WA 1.52
    28 90080-16031 SCREW,TAPP 1.04

Is this a complete list of all the parts I need to order to complete the retrofit? Does this list include the wood trim part that goes around the shift knob?

Thank you again.
    At least for the 2001, and I suspect it hasn't changed for the 2005, there are three main service manuals for the HL: Highlander Repair Manual vol 1, Highlander Repair Manual vol 2, and the Highlander Electrical Manual. There are also transmission manuals, one for each type of transmission available for the HL, as well as manual listing dimensions used by auto body shops for re-aligning the HL, but unless if you plan to rebuild your transmission or unless you're an auto body shop, I wouldn't recommend getting these.

The most useful manual is the Repair Manual vol 2, with diagrams and disassembly/reassembly procedures for all the mechanical, electrical, chassis and body components, which is basically what you're looking for. Repair Manual vol 1 merely lists all of the diagnostic codes returned by the on-board computer (there are tons of them) and the probable causes. The electrical manual contains all the wiring and schematic diagrams for the HL.

These manuals are available from your local Toyota dealer parts department, but the three manuals will set you back something like $250. If cost is not an issue that's where I'd get them (it's where I got mine). If cost is an issue then I'd check-out eBay again -- I've seen manuals for the HL appear there occasionally (actual manuals, not CDs); may take a couple of months or so for some to pop up there; typically they've gone for about half the price that the dealer charges.

Good luck!! :)

P.S.: What kind of mods have you done to your Infiniti and what do you have planned for your HL if you don't mind sharing?
    Hey strongirler:

Another center console convert -- welcome to the club!!

Just want to make sure you're aware of my more recent post, 1109, which consolidates most of the center console information.

With regard to the mounting holes -- yes, these are present in the U.S. version of the HL -- you'll need to remove the two mounting brackets that are welded to the seat frame in order to be able to secure the plastic side panel to these mounting holes.

The parts list should be complete (don't forget the significance of the asterisk of the fifth item from the bottom); it should include the wood trim bezel surrounding the shifter (I think it's the second item, "55420-48010-E0 PANEL ASSY"). When I ordered the parts from the dealership they were very helpful -- they pulled-up a diagram on their computer of the console and (after giving me the requisite lecture about this not being a Toyota approved retrofit/2002 console not guaranteed to fit a 2001/all sales are final) they highlighted all the parts that were needed; they even made a photocopy of this diagram for me, illustrating all the parts notated with part numbers, which was handy to determine which screws went where when I was putting it together. Since you will be doing on the order of $1000 of business with them I hope they'll be helpful with you too!

Also (for everyone) be aware that Toyota parts departments will give discounts for large orders just for asking -- they gave me a discount for the console parts even without asking, probably because I had just ordered a set of HL manuals from them the month before at retail. When I ordered a $900 interior carpet from a Lexus dealership I winced at the price and asked them if they could give me a discount (as if it was "expected") -- they did. (After all, $900 for a carpet is steep, to put it mildly.) The discounts I've gotten have been around 10%. You can also check-out the prices on some of the internet stores that sell Toyota parts.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions!! :)
    Hi landdriver,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post.
    I have the Japanise version which included the small center console. Do you know if this model included the mounting bracket which needs to be removed and the mounting holes for the new shield? I have had a very hard time dealing with my local toyota dealer as, like you mentioned, they don't recommend the retrofit. I am also having a problem with them as far as which part I need to order to replace the shield (the one with the asterisk). One dealer says the part you mentioned (71862-48030-A0)is the right one and another dealer says that part has the cup holder so it won't work and that I need part #71862-48010-A0 which is the part that doesn't have the cupholder. I am not having much luck looking up the part on the internet either. Do you know which of these is right?

Thanks again for your time.
    Hey strongirler:

Yes the '01 HLs that have the small stand-alone console in all likelihood still have the mounting brackets that need to be removed, and they still should have the mounting holes. (On these HLs the driver seat plastic side panel should contain a pair of map holders in place of the fold-down cup holders present on '01 HLs without the stand-alone console.) (My post referring to the Japanese version of the HL was ambiguous as all HLs sold here are U.S. versions; sorry for the confusion).

In reference to the seat plastic side panel can't help you much there unfortunately as the 71862-48030-A0 part number was from memory (as indicated in the post), so it could just as well be the other part number. My guess is that 71862-48010-A0 may be the part you want as it is a lower
    number, consistent with the fact that the HL was originally designed with the console and they took it out when the HL was initially introduced in the U.S. market, and also sounds like the second guy was being more meticulous in researching the proper part. Sorry I couldn't be of more help; suggest checking with a third dealer. If not convenient to do so, then go with the recommendation of the dealer you're ordering the part from; if it turns out to be wrong, they're obligated to exchange the part for the proper one as the mistake is due to an incorrect recommendation on their part. (Also if you could find a dealer that is more willing to work with you that would of course be ideal for this type of project.)

Good luck, and keep us posted... :)
  • yakman1yakman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have just purchased an 06 highlander hybrid and like everything about it except the style. Has anyone added fender flairs? It needs SOMETHING to jazz up the appearance. I would like to see photos of a customized highlander if there is such an animal.
    Thanks again landdriver, I will go with the part suggested by the second dealer (71862-48010-A0) and hope it is the right part. I will keep you (and others wanting to change their console) apprised of the outcome.
    Fender flares are an excellent way to give the HL more character. The Toyota brand flares (made by EGR for Toyota) stop short of the front bumper, whereas aftermarket flares cover the front bumper.

Side step bars, side step tubes, hood bug deflectors, sunroof wind deflectors and front-end masks are other popular means of dressing-up the HL. I heard recently that the newer HHs have the word "Hybrid" on the side of the vehicle, so if your's doesn't have this you might investigate if it can be added.

See Toyota Highlander Owners: Photo Gallery and CarDomain for photos of customized HLs.
  • jeeperscajeepersca Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I just bought a 2006 HL hybrid. I love it... but it drives me a little crazy that there's no way to turn off the "beep" every time you push a button. I can turn it off on my cell phone, clock, pda, etc, why not my car? "Muting" mutes the nav system voice, i'm not sure about the buttons. and I really don't mind the nav system voice. I'm already going to try to turn off the motion-lock out system.

Any thoughts would be welcome!!
    I recently purchased a 2001 HL limited and there is a green blinking light under the dash which has an on or off switch. This light blinks when the engine is turned off and goes off once you start the engine. Neither the person who sold me the HL nor the local dealer seem to know what this blinking light is for and there is no mention of it in the owners manual. Does anyone know what this green blinking light is for?
  • jeeperscajeepersca Member Posts: 2
    Just a total guess... but some cars put in a blinky light to make it look like there's an alarm system even if there isn't. It's only useful when the car's off, so it might go off when you drive??

My saturn had one. No alarm system on it, but the blinky red light (not green) was supposed to make people think twice.
  • mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    Have any of you folks tried swapping the standard painted HL grille with the chrome Hybrid version? I saw a 2006 OEM HL Hybrid grille just sold on Ebay for ~$50. It looks like the Hybrid version does not have the painted left & right "fillers" between the main grille section and the headlight assemblies.
    Thank you Jeepersca, The toyota dealership here suggested that too but there is a real alarm that flashes a red light on the dash when the engine is off. I wondered if it could have anything to do with the special chip in the key or the sensor for breaking the window glass but you would think the Toyota dealer or the owners manual would have said something about it. I am completely stumped.
  • scbbruinsscbbruins Member Posts: 1
    the control knob on my highlander will not supply warm/hot air. Sometimes you can spin it toward cold and then toward hot and it may give you some heat. I pulled off the knob and tightened the nut on the stem but it did not help. I assume removing the nuts on the shafts is who you get the plastic console cover off to replace the controls. any help in fixing this problem myself
    Hey mvd1:

The HH grille arrangement is different from that of the HL.

The HL grille insert and it's surround (which includes those left and right "fillers" you referenced) is a single piece, and this piece is separate from the bumper.

The HH grille surround and the bumper looks to be a single piece. I'm guessing the HH grille insert is a separate piece from it's surround, and that's what you saw on eBay.

Now it may be possible to swap a HL grille and HL bumper with the integrated HH grille/bumper assembly.

Also note www.myautofashion.com has some genuine Toyota-brand grilles available for the HL -- I know they'll fit the '01-'03 HLs, but you should check if they'll fit the '04-'06s. It's possible there are aftermarket grilles available for the HL as well.
  • ohwhatafeelingohwhatafeeling Member Posts: 15
    Ok, I'd like to install a true ipod audio hookup in my new 2006 HL, but I'm having trouble figuring out whether or not my radio is compatible with the options out there.

Specifically, i'm looking to install something like the USA Spec, ICE system or the Metra.

These are little boxes that connect to the radio's aux port and then allow you to control your ipod through the radio itself.

However, I'm finding conflicting information regarding whether or not such a system is even compatible with my audio system, which is the JBL 6 disc in-dash changer version on the 2006 Highlander Limited. Does my radio have an aux port at all? Or anywhere to plug this in? And if so, am I disabling the CD changer?

Anybody have specific information to help me out? I would be remiss to yank out my dash trim and radio only to find that there's nothing I can do. I want to know EXACTLY what I'm going to expect behind the radio prior to coming close to my precious brand new car with anything resembling a tool.
  • davisinladavisinla Member Posts: 7
    Hi Folks:

I've got to replace my passenger side (heated) mirror and have been told I'll need to take the inner door panel off.

Has anyone done this?

Landdriver - in a search, I noticed that you had installed speakers. Did you take the door panel off for that? If so, any hints?

Thanks,

Paul
    Again, I want to thank you very much landdriver for all the help and information you have supplied to those of us wanting to retrofit the 2002 console in the 2001 HL!
    I just picked up my HL at the custom auto restyling shop and it is fantastic! I love it - all thanks to you landdriver for your inspiration and knowledge. As promised, I wanted to tell anyone else interested in this conversion the part# for the shield needed to replace the one that has the cup or map holder is 71862-48010-A0 for the ivory with power seats. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    Since it warmed up, I finally got around to taking stains out of seats. The stainremover "Tech" did work great. Only place that I could find that sells this product is a local hardware store that is part of an independent chain.

Since now the seats are looking like new, has anyone used scotchgard on their seats? Does it change the color?
    See post 602 for procedure for removing the door panels; let us know if you have any additional questions!
    You're welcome.

I just picked up my HL at the custom auto restyling shop and it is fantastic! I love it

It's impossible to not love one of those '02 center consoles! Glad it worked out so well (that was quick!). Thanks for the update on the part number; I'll reference your post in all future console inquiries!
  • johnnyv1johnnyv1 Member Posts: 3
    Your radio should have a cd changer input on the rear. 2004 and later use the small 12 pin plug. Check out Logjam Electronics or FM Fan Store on line. They carry auxiliary input adaptors that should fit your radio and will convert the cd changer plug into aux inputs. If you have the rear DVD system, then you will need an extra wiring adaptor to plug both in. Look for their customer phone number or email link to ask any questions. I found both very helpful when I was looking for info on how to plug in my XM Commander through the aux input. I have a 2004 Highlander Base with the standard CD/cassette and love the why it sounds using the adaptor - much better than the FM modulator. - johnnyv1
  • davisinladavisinla Member Posts: 7
    Thanks.
  • yakman1yakman1 Member Posts: 2
    OK...I took the plunge to go "green" and bought a hybrid. The gas mileage is a huge disappointment. Good thing the vehicle is a great car otherwise. My last mileage check produced 20 miles to the gallon with light footed driving. This is during winter driving, not on highways, but back country roads. The previous check gave me 22 mpg. Popular Mechanics magazine tested the hybrid and got 29 mpg.I expect summer driving will give me somewhat better results. What are real world people getting in cold New England weather and what to expect in warm weather? :cry: :confuse:
    Check-out the 2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander board -- people there have been getting in the low 20s when they first bought the vehicle but after the vehicle's computer "learns" the driver's driving habits, average has been around 25mpg, with a few getting close to 30mpg on rare occasions. These are summer numbers, you're right about winter negatively affecting mileage so your numbers are fairly typical. Don't worry -- they'll improve!! :)
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    has anyone found a suitable cat back (or with a a performance cat) exhaust system for the 2001 and 2003 with the v6 engine?? any help would be appreciated. rr70
  • brisintrepidbrisintrepid Member Posts: 21
    i was looking at an 02 limited with the tow package .. now does the 02 with factory installed tow package come with the oil and transmission coolers? i see that they are on the newer models . i dont intend to tow however from my reasearch about the dreaded sludge problem (weather it be a toyota problem or an end user problem aside )alot of it has to do with engine oil temp? is oil cooler on all models or just the tow package and what years? how would i know if the tow package is factory or not.. im a soon to be ex- dodge owner so any info would be greatly appreciated thanks alot guys and gals
    Hi, thanks for the info. Sorry about the VERY late response, but I am still getting the hang of this particular site. :)

Anyway, I have done a lot of mods to my Infiniti I30 to include custom LED lights throughout the whole car (window switches, guages, AC controlls, etc.) I have also cleared my rear tail lights, installed custom headlights that they use on the car overseas, and more. I wont wast your time with all the mods, but it you would like to see more, I have created a cardomain page with pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/796084

As for the mods I have done with the HL, I have added Chrome outside door handles, a Chrome exaust tip, and last weekend, I installed the chrome rear trim piece off an 06 HL Hybrid. As you can tell I like Chrome. lol I am planning on clearing the front headlights (taking out that orange piece in them), as well as possibly doing a chrome grill on the front. OH, I also replaced the stock rear view mirror with an auto dim digital temp., digital compass, and LED map light rear view mirror. I would also like to find some really nice chrome rims as well. Maybe something bigger than the factory size. :)

I am hoping to create a cardomain page for the HL very soon. I will let you know when it gets done.

Thanks again for your help with the car manuals. I will keep my eye out for Vol. 2.
    Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if I have posted this in the past, but I am signed up on a few HL boards and can't remember which one I posted this question on. lol

Does anyone know if there are any LED turn signal mirrors OR LED turn signal mirror shells out there for our HL's? I found some for the Lexus RX330, but the mirrors are slightly different in shape, so unfortunately, I don't think I can use them on the HL. :(
    The Infiniti looks pretty nice; let us know when you get your HL on CarDomain. My personal favorite: The Mild Beast.
  • mcnosemcnose Member Posts: 6
    From my research, which I stopped many months ago, a clean looking solution does not exist for the HL.

The place that sold the best looking ones (replacement glass with LED built in) http://www.kwmuth.com, does not make one for the HL because, as I was told when I called, "there wasn't enough room to run the wires through the inards of the housing" (paraphrasing). They do make a convex mirror attachment that will fit any car, but it doesn't have that built-in look I desired.

I can't find it now, but there was a Toyota dealer (in Long Beach, CA- if memory serves) that imported replacements for the entire housing. The new mirror housing had the Mercedes type turn signal built-in (to the outside, not on the glass), which is visible from in front and behind.

One more add-on type that doesn't look horrible: http://www.trucktoys4less.com/blind-spot-signal-mirror.html.

Other than that, just do a Google search.

I've had an idea, but as I may be getting rid of my HL soon, I haven't followed up on it. Pepboys sells little orange turn signals that can be added to the side of a car (about $15). I was going to attach these to the underside of the mirror, onto the part that attaches to the door.

I think these are a great idea. Good luck.

b
    Thanks for the info guys. I have seen this site before and have been trying to justify spending the money to get these. http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=1291

I would love to get these, but that price is steep. I wish they would make LED mirror shells for our HL's like they do for the Rx330. I would love to find Chrome LED mirror shells for the 05 HL! That would make my day! Maybe one day. :)

Well, Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all your help. Have a great night!
  • 2006_hh2006_hh Member Posts: 1
    You can watch DVD on Nav Screen of Hybrid Highlander. Car must be stopped, in Park, with parking break on...
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    You've done it? Playing a dvd from under the seat where the mapping software dvd is?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I think he meant that you can watch the DVD that's playing on the Rear Seat Entertainment system. I'm pretty sure that without the RSE, you can't watch a DVD on the nav.
  • ehoffehoff Member Posts: 2
    Just heard that the updated 2005 Navigation System DVD has been released, but it is a different disc for Generation 2 & 3 than Gen 4.

Called Toyota and they said it could be 3 or 4 and that I should take it to a dealer to find out. :surprise:

How can I tell which gen I have in my 2005 HL Ltd. purchased last July?

TIA!
  • notyetnotyet Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the purchase of a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, but the driver cockpit is just a little small (I'm 6'4"/360 lbs). If I take a piece of square tubing, bolt it to the floor using the existing seat mounting holes, and bolt the seat to it, I should be able to move the seat back about 3 inches and up about 1.5 inches.

Has anyone tried something similiar? Are there clearance issues that I'm missing?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Call up your local dealer parts department and tell them you are looking for the updated map disk for a 2005 HL. They should be able to tell you the price/part number. There should be no need to visit a dealer to show them your car. I've never heard of them changing navigation generations mid-model year.
    I've removed both front seats and from memory I'm fairly sure you should be able to do what you describe.

Some concerns:

1. You'll of course be cutting down on rear seat legroom with the front seat all the way back 3" past the factory design.

2. You'll want to check if the seatbelts, which are mounted to a stationary pillar, look like they'll still offer adequate protection with the front seat all the way back 3" past the factory design.

3. From an aesthetics standpoint you may want to try to make the modification look nice considering it's a brand new and somewhat expensive vehicle.

4. Due to contours in the stamped sheetmetal floorboard the four bolts securing the seat to the floorboard may be angled/may not be perpendicular to a horizontal plane -- will present issues both when securing square tubing to floor as well as when securing seat to square tubing. With a little mechanical ingenuity I'm sure you can address this (simply angling the bolts through the tubing probably will work).

5, The seats have a cable connecting to them so there's the possibility you'll need to lengthen the cables, which shouldn't be a problem if you're handy with a soldering pencil.

6. Are you sure you'll be ok headroom-wise if you raise the seat 1.5"? Will the steering wheel and dash be too low? Will your legs fit under steering wheel? Will airbag deploy too low? Probably this shouldn't affect seat belt operation but visually gauge to make sure.

7. Possibly better and simpler solution is forgo the square tubing and instead just drill new holes into floorboard and secure seat directly to floorboard; secure bolts with some nuts on underside of vehicle. There will however be holes in carpet where bolts formerly were (minor aesthetics issue).

8. With whatever method you choose try to not compromise strength of seat mounting to floorboard for safety reasons if in collision.

9. Also check out the 2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander edmunds discussion -- if you're purchasing a Hybrid strictly for fuel economy reasons you may be disappointed. But otherwise it's still a great car!

Gut feel is you should be able to accomplish this mod with perhaps one or two minor hitches along the way; though I'd scrap the square tubing plan and just bolt seat directly to floorboard (or use this as fallback if square tubing plan doesn't work). So I'd say go for it!
  • notyetnotyet Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info! You raise a good point about leg steering wheel room. One of my main issues is my knees are spread to give space for the steering wheel which presses my right leg against the center console, which gave me a knot after only 10 minutes of testdrive. I need to move the seat back to give me straighter legs, but raising it would defeat the purpose. I'll have to ponder your other suggestions.
    The HL has a tilt steering wheel just in case you weren't aware.
    Well everyone, I finally got the GENUINE TOYOTA FACTORY REPAIR SERVICE MANUALS! I got three of them.

Volume #1 includes:
    Maintenance
    Preparation
    Specifications
    Diagnostics

Volume #2 includes:

Engine
    Chassis
    Body
    Electrical

AND

Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual includes:
    Troubleshooting
    Relay locations
    Electrical wiring routing
    System circuits
    Ground points
    Power source (Current flow chart)
    Connector list, with part #’s
    Overall electrical wiring diagram

I am so excited! Just wanted to share my excitement. :)
  • zeliebasezeliebase Member Posts: 8
    [I just put on the Toyota hitch after comparing it to the aftermarket hitches available...Toyota includes two plates that mount to the side of the frame rails in addition to the bottom mounts that the aftermarket uses.]

This was a helpful post, waltrde - especially the info about the additional mounting plates/bolts on the Toyota hitch. I was looking at the Draw-tite p/n 75153 for my '05 V6 4WD, which looked like an easy install and good price ($US 135.55 + about $50 shipping) but as you mentioned only bolts to the bottom of the frame. Do you have a p/n for the Toyota hitch? Also, did it include a drawbar, pin/clip, etc? Thanks.
  • brisintrepidbrisintrepid Member Posts: 21
    anyone know of website or store that has clear tail lights for the highlander i have not seen any.. thanks
    brisintrepid: I have never seen any clear tails for the HL. In fact I have never seen any aftermarket tails for the HL unfortunately. :( If I come across some in my serches, I will let you know and pleasedo the same if you find them before I do. :)