Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• bob02hlbob02hl Member Posts: 3
    First time poster. Proud new driver of an 02 HL (wife's hand-me-down).

I can *almost* get the low-end that I want (mainly from recent Satriani cds) but some of the old lp-ripped stuff really needs some help. So I want to add a Kenwood powered sub to the factory JBL system just to "round out" the bottom end. The sub has both line level and speaker level inputs. (I want to keep the factory HU).

Reading back through the posts on the board (many thanks to Landdriver!), it looks like I have access to both types of outputs under the front passenger kickplate, line-level and speaker-level.

QUESTION: can I splice into the RR/RL line-level wires to run a cable with RCA plugs to the line-level inputs on the amp? Or is one of the speaker-to-line-out adapters a better choice.

QUESTION#2: Since I plan on leaving the factory amp intact. Would this "before-the-amp" splicing be detrimental.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Bob.
    Talked to the fine folk at Crutchfield and wanted to pass it along.

They show that the amp is a Harmon Becker (?) and has RCA line level intputs plugged into it. He advised that if I can get to the amp, I could use a "Y" to split off the signal to the powered sub. The only caveat is if the amp requires a specific "power" and that splitting might disrupt that.

As for splicing in to the wires, since the amp is hard to get to, his advice was to try it...it would either work or not.

I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm very interested in finding out if the Kenwood sub will give me what I'm looking for.

Just passing it along.
    The install went fine. I ended up tapping the speaker-outs at the factory amp plug.

The sound from the Kenwood KSC-SW1 is exactly what I was looking for. I simply put it in the rear, just behind the 2nd row seats. I'll use velcro to keep it from sliding around. Since I tapped the wiring at the amp (behind the 2nd row seats), all the excess wiring stayed back there under the carpet "flap". I had to run the battery cable, fuse box cable and the remote cable towards the front. I just tucked them under the scuff plates. The remote ran under the front passenger seat to the console.

If you're looking to enhance the low-end bass of the factory JBL system, I'd recommend this product. I can now run the bass on the HU at 2 or 3, turn down the mid-range a little, and fade to the rear a little for a surprisingly strong sound...especially from CDs.

Here's the link at Crutchfield if you're interested, although I found it much cheaper at Etronics online:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jqYuk2VSzNh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=113KSCSW1&g=51000

See ya...
  • nevinsnevins Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever move your seat back? How did it work out. I went to a cutom shop that services hiend luxury cars and they said itr was a bad idea. I am intrested in getting a coulple more inches on the drivers side...

Thanks
    Tom
  • paul_bpaul_b Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Can anyone provide names of website from where I can buy floor mats. Dealer kept original mats and replaced with cheap-small-tan color ones. Can't believe these cheap tricks are done even today.

Thanks in advance.
    Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I hope you dinged them on the survey. Wouldn't hurt to write the owner of the dealer and Toyota and tell them your expectations weren't met.

Weathertech seems to be the most recommended brand on the forum, but I don't have any personal experience with them.
  • joconnorjoconnor Member Posts: 26
    Weathertec are the best. Have used them on several cars for well over a decade. Hold and catch everything..
  • garygary Member Posts: 39
    Without going all-out on an audiophile audio system for the HL, I would like to replace my stock system with and aftermarket system without excessive spending. I need personnal reviews on your aftermarket installations for a new head unit and speakers. Trying not to get in to the external amp setup. Just the 4 speakers and HU and leaving the tweeters alone.

I guess I'm looking for the best sound for the money.

(There have been numerous postings in the past but most involve external amps, subs, etc.)

Thanks in advance!!

2001 HL "Un"Limited (non-JBL edition)
    2WD Millennium Silver
  • slvrvetslvrvet Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found seat covers for a 2002 Highlander with power seats and side airbags? How do you keep the seat covers from interfering with the side airbags?
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    Do they make a cargo cover for the 2007 Highlander w/ 3rd row. I would like to be able to put some things in the back that is out of sight from everyone, but can't seem to find one.
  • 05highlander0505highlander05 Member Posts: 89
    Can anyone recommend a aftermarket gps navigation system that they have or does Toyota offer a gps navigaton system for 2005 non Limited Highlanders?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's lot of aftermarket suggestions in the Navigation GPS Systems discussion, so check that one out too.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    I thought the cover was standard? Check the storage compartment in the back.
    Nomo, thank you. I found it this weekend nosing around the car. Another bad thing was that they never gave us the tour of the car, unlike the time when we bought the Ody. They showed us everything.

GPS, I have the Tom Tom 710 and I am very happy with it. The 910 comes with a 20GB HDD for updates and personalization and for MP3 music. However, I would not want to use it for that, this is why I went with the 710.

Any lower in pricing and quality, they tend to be the same I think. This goes for the low end TomTom's and Magellan and others. At least this is MHO.
    I bought a license plate holder just like mentioned here before. However the screws I bought also has the plastic back cover to be used on the inside of the front bumper. Anyone know if there is a permanent nut that I should be inserting these screws into inside the bumper?
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    a good place to start is Crutchfield. look on the web.
  • nusuvnusuv Member Posts: 3
    I just bought 08 Base HL and am looking to accessorize with following to avoid high dealer cost. Can someone help with online Toyota parts store?

Floor mats
    Mud guards
    Door edge guards

Thanks,
  • joconnorjoconnor Member Posts: 26
    Toyota of Nashua! Fantastic prices
  • avuavu Member Posts: 6
    Try toyotapartspeople.com
    Good prices.
  • alohatofualohatofu Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone able to get a hold of the Fog Lights kit? I have the 2008 base model and would like to add it to my HL.

Also anyone installed the Running boards on this bad boy yet? I would live to see how it looks.

thanks
  • ikingboyikingboy Member Posts: 1
    Did you happened to add a fog light on your highlander?

If you like to check the running boards... http://www.granadocentral.com/img/running_board.JPG
  • jan23jan23 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2008 Highlander with remote start and it does not work very well. Anyone else have this problem?
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Can you describe what doesn't work? I had that item ordered on my Highlander. It is just distance that is bad? What is the distance? Thanks. Scott
    It only has an 80 feet range if it will start then. Only runs for ten minutes then shuts down. When you hit the unlock button to enter the car when it is running it kills the engine. You then have to restart the engine when you get in. I had an after market one put on my Jeep GC and I could be in the middle of wal-mart and the thing would start. You hit unlock and the doors unlocked but the car ran. You had to put the key in the ignition and turn half way to drive off. It was $350. My Highlander cost me over $500. Do not get it.You will be sorry. A Toyota rep is going to pick my car up Wed. Dec.5th and check it out. Even though the book you get after you get the starter installed says only good for 80 feet the rep says thats Bull crap. One way or the other I am going to get a good remote starter. Been looking on the computer and the least distance to remote start from has been 800 feet all the way up to 2500 feet. Look up remote starts the the computer. Toyota and I are going to fight over this one. Jan23
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    I was thinking about getting one,. One of the reason was excessive cost (IMO), the other one was that the dealer rep was telling me not to get OEM but one from third party. I guess they outsource the install. He has told me that with OEM you need to be within 80 feet while the other one was over 1000. So it is pretty much what you stated. It somewhat made me nervous so I decided not to. I guess I am glad I did so.
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the info on the remote starter.
  • marc001marc001 Member Posts: 12
    I had a Astrostart in my 05' Highlander. It had pretty good range (1/4-1/2 mile) and it was a 2-way. I told me if it started or not. I want to get one for my 08' Highlander, but they don't make the bypass yet for Smart keys. Sure is COLD here now. (MN) :cry:
    THEY TOOK MY CAR IN AND SAID IT WORKED LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO AT 80 FEET. THEY DID IT OUT IN THE OPEN. IM NOT ALWAYS OUT IN THE OPEN. TOLD THEM I STILL WANT A BETTER ONE. SAID THEY WOULD HAVE CONTACT SOMEONE HIGHER IN TOYOTA. THE WAR STILL RAGES ON !!!!!!!
  • turtlebudturtlebud Member Posts: 1
    those running boards look really nice! does anyone know if these are toyota running boards (tubes) or are they a 3rd party manufacturer?

--
    If you like to check the running boards... http://www.granadocentral.com/img/running_board.JPG
  • toyoguy2toyoguy2 Member Posts: 9
    Can you let us know where you got the running board, did you put it on yourself, any drilling required? thanks
  • raptor2araptor2a Member Posts: 1
    Hi All...first post, so be gentle...

We picked up an 05 Highlander Limited with 30k on it a few weeks ago and it has an aftermarket rear seat entertainment system...I.e. Audiovox DVD player. The DVD player was under the rear seat and it has the drop down display...the DVD player didn't work, so I picked up another and plugged it in (standard RCA jacks)...it powers up, I get video, but no sound...there are no speaker(s) on the DVD player, nor on the drop down display unit...my question is, where should the audio come from? The red and white jacks are in and all the wiring runs up behind the console/dash...I assumed there would be speakers on the overhead unit, but there isn't even a headset jack...any ideas? Has anyone else installed one of these and if so, is the audio supposed to be configured to use the vehicle's audio system? My thought is that it is supposed to use the factory radio speakers via an FM signal, but I can't find a station that picks it up...

The DVD system/model is the Audiovox MMDV2a...

Thanks in advance...Rob
  • supermac75supermac75 Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

I currently own a HL 2006 V6 non-JBL radio. I have read and try the sequence to enable the midrange. So far, no luck. Can you please tell me which buttom it should be hold pressed to access the midrange adjustment? Thanks!!
  • gobenzingobenzin Member Posts: 2
    I just joined this site. I came upon your post about the 2001 Highlander console conversion. I also have a 2001 H/L and have thought about doing the same thing. I also thought about buying the console you wanted to sell. I just recently purchased a 2008 H/L for my wife and I kept the '01 and now decided to dress it up a bit. I was wondering if you still have the old console you wanted to sell for $50.00 + Shipping? If not, do you know of anyone who may have one for sale? I know this post is dated, but thought I would take a chance.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I also thought about buying the console you wanted to sell.

You should know that the message you replied to is over five years old.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2007 Highlander Limited and I can control most of the stereo functions from the steering wheel, which I like. I traded in my 2001 Highlander and I think this steering wheel function is great.

I'm thinking of upgrading the stereo system/head unit---does anyone know if I will lose functionality of the steering wheel controls if that is done? If possible, I would like to have at least an idea of the answer from actual Highlander owners versus relying on a saleperson's "assurances."

TIA.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    Yes, steering wheel controls are nice to have. I have it on my other car.

I also have a 2002 Highlander. When I bought this one, I replaced entire system, including Head unit,speakers and added amplifier and
    subwoofer. I did it because factory system was not up to my taste.

For your 2007 Highlander: What is the reason for wanting to upgrade?
    If you are not an audiophile like me, if you like most part of your system, simply replacing factory speakers with quality speakers and
    possibly adding an amplifier usually helps quite a bit.

Also, by replacing Head unit, in some cases, you may lose entire
    capability to use steering wheel control. And most head units are detachable,which can be good and bad.

If you decide do upgrade, I'd go with reputable brand like Alpine or similar for head unit and amplifier. Also, spent on quality speakers
    that you can actually hear the difference!
    I'd shop from independent dealers specialize in auto sounds rather
    than places like Circuit City or Bestbuy. If you go to the right places,
    they will direct you to right system and make sure you get a clean,
    perfect installation.

good luck. :)
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    I forgot to mention one thing. On many good aftermarket Head units,
    they come with wireless remote control, which is very convenient. As long as you don't lose it. :)
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. I'm not an audiophile, but I was hoping to get better sound from the system. From what you're saying, it sounds like I can probably just upgrade the speakers and that might do the trick. I really don't want to lose the steering wheel functionality and I have no complaints about the head unit in particular, it's just the overall "cheap" sound when I turn up the volume. I'd rather avoid adding a subwoofer because I don't want to give up any cargo space in the rear.

Thanks again, I'll go to an independent---there is a good one not far from me---and look into just upgrading the speakers.

:)
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I mentioned this on the 2008 Highlander post as well, but I am interested in knowing if anyone has added body - side molding to the 2008 Highlander? I have thoght about it, but don't want to take away from the looks unless it adds something? Many have told me that they don't help that much, not to invest in them. Any help would be appreciated on the subject.

Thanks, Ronn
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    Can someone help me. i'm trying to find out what SRAT in DVD Rear Entertainment is? Also, i'ved noticed there are 4 types of DVD Rear Entertainment. One for $1250 w/SRAT, the other for $1250 but it doesn't go with the moonroof, there's one for $1495, and the other for $1780. Can anyone tell me the differences? thanks
  • garygary Member Posts: 39
    Need a quick answer: What's the best upgrade for audio on a 2001 Non-Ltd. Non-JBL H/L?
    :confuse:
    Please provide make/model of speakers, h/u, amps.

Would prefer to start w/speakers only. Give your favorites w/the best well rounded sound. Replacing the h/u would probably be better, but I prefer to keep the stock look.

(BTW, too lazy to search the thread....brought up many ideas, but not too specific)
    Thanks all for your help!!
  • supermac75supermac75 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Chrisb74, I currently owned a Toyota Highlander 2006 V6 non-jbl. I was wondering what Head Unit you got for replacing the Factory Head Unit. I seen many brands such as: JVC, Clarion, Kenwood, and Pioneer. (All of them double dyn size) Did you use special wire harness to connect it to the factory wiring? I guess Crutchfield supplies this wire harness. Do you have pics of the installations? Thank you very much for your help.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    FWIW, I put a single-DIN head unit in - a Sony CDX-610iU. Much more power than stock, and better sound overall. I got it from Crutchfield, so it came with instructions. It took me less than 2 hours (I really took my time). Now I have a place to plug in my mp3 and friends' iPods.

So, by losing the tape player, I gained a black plastic storage pocket beneath the head unit - perfect for my mp3 player. The pocket (an mounting instructions) came with it.
  • jemvaldezjemvaldez Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Highlander and need a simple step by step video or picture diagram on how to install the wiring package for the hitch I just installed.
  • aakyeamaakyeam Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I have a 2002 HL and I just installed a bug deflector I purchased from Toyota..(followed the accompanying instructions)...however, I've started getting really bad wind noise/resistance since then..is that normal or did I not do something right?.....
    thx
  • highlander12highlander12 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2008 Highlander, but was disappointed that i can't find any chrome kits for this model. I checked all over the internet and only found pillar post. I was wanting mirror covers and door handle covers. Does anyone know of a resource or i've even heard that the other Toyota models chorme accesories may fit. Any info would be appreciated.
  • agitator1agitator1 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased them as soon as they were available. I personally think it adds to the looks, but it is only about 1 1/2 in. wide. Thought it would be wider. A little pricey, but I found out that different dealers would cut the MSRP. I feel a little safer parking at the mall.
  • oilslickoilslick Member Posts: 14
    On my 2003 Highlander, the headlights won't come on. The brights will work but the low beams won't. I've tried everything in the owners' manual and my own experiece but, they just wont come on. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • silva68silva68 Member Posts: 1
    I also think that they add to the looks of the Highlander. I purchased these side moldings for my Highlander as well but I don't know the exact height from the bottom that they are typically installed at. Can anybody help with this?
  • other1other1 Member Posts: 7
    Wireless headphones go with this unit. I bought a used 2005 with a DVD unit installed in the ceiling. It had no headphones or remote. The dealer ordered everything but the remote still doesn't work.