Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    I have the full one peice console that goes from the shifter to the back seat.

I'd prefer just the plastic pod that wraps around the shifter

Anyone interested in an xchange?
  • jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    What colors do you have, and where are you?
    I have the plastic pod, as you describe it, and the separate optional 2001 console behind it. Limited (meaning the really bad fake woodgrain) & beige.
    Mine's just like in the photo. Ivory from a 06 Highlander. I'm in DC/Baltimore
  • hutchghutchg Member Posts: 2
    I am going to take my stereo out of my truck and put just the mono amp and sub in the Highlander (when I get it). I'll live with the stock head unit and speakers for now. From what I understand, there is no readily-available adapter to easily tap into the stock wiring. How did you tie into the stock system?

Thanks,
    Hutch
  • kwschummkwschumm Member Posts: 7
    The HL spoilers really do work to cut down on dust, etc off the rear window. We have to drive 10 miles/day on a gravel road and our base model HL w/o spoiler accumulated a LOT of dust, about 1/8" or more just on top of the wiper. We installed the spoiler and there is no more accumulation of dust. It doesn't keep the window clean, mind you, but it does keep piles of dust from accumulating. There is still a thin layer of dust on the window but at least we can see through it now.
  • r19578r19578 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Toyota seems removed fender flares from their catalog since '05, but some ebay seller told me I can put them on my Highlander '05, but I can't install the fender flare and running board at the same time since they are conflicting. Has anybody tried this? Appreciate your comments.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    I don't know about the running boards but it wouldn't surprise me as I know the Toyota fender flares cannot coexist with the mud guards.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I have the factory running boards on my '04 and the attachment to the front fender forms the mud guard and holds up the running board on the front end. It actually runs up the outside of the front fender at least 8 inches. This would preclude the installation of fender flares IMO.
  • amtrakmattamtrakmatt Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what style of pillar mount gauge pod would work on a Highlander? I am adding locomotive horns and would like a PSI guage on the drivers side pillar. Can't seem to find anyone that makes a gauge pod for the Highlander. Found some Tacomas, but I'm not sure if they have similar shaped pillars.

Thanks
  • reid9439reid9439 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out how to disable the the speed signal? I have a 2005 coming and I don't think I am going to like this feature.
  • ronm2ronm2 Member Posts: 7
    This message (#937) is "right on". My aftermarket hitch is UGLY(internet $150). Because the HH is not rated for load equalizing hitches, I am confident my six bolt mounting is enough for my 1580 lb camper. I purchased the converter and 4 pin plug extension from a dealer (about $90) and then chose to cut of the 4 pin flat and directly wire the 7 pin round my camper required (4 pin flat to 7 pin round adapter is other choice). My local dealer was so "in the dark" regarding the trailer pre-wire - it took their "best" mechanic over 20 minutes to even find the wiring harness- that I purchased the wiring package from a Cleveland dealer and never gave either dealer a chance to price the hitch (probably a mistake). My wife doesn't seem to object, so OK as is.
  • ronm2ronm2 Member Posts: 7
    A selling point not made apparent when I purchased my Highlander is the two pop out tabs on the front bumper. I have for many years crawled under vehicles to fasten bow tie downs for high speed canoe carry trips (and then padded the bumper to prevent chafing). In the jacking package is one threaded eye bolt that will thread into these openings and protrude from the bumper - a real bumper saver if you need to be towed from a ditch. Although this is a metric thread, I turned a .75 inch bolt to .704 and used my lathe to cut 10 threads per inch and it threads easily and tightens fully. I then drilled and tapped the head end for a 3/8-16 threaded eye bolt, to very closely imitate the factory provided eye bolt. I added two eye bolts to my coyote ugly trailer hitch and can now tie down my 18.5 foot canoe from a standing position and have no ropes touching the car at either end.
  • metazonemetazone Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a 2005 Toyota HL and I only have 1 key for the trunk lock. Is this a standard? I need to get an extra one ...

I have 2 car keys and remote keyless entry things
  • waltrdewaltrde Member Posts: 26
    My experience is with a new Highlander, you should have received three keys. Two black headed and one with a dark grey head. The grey headed key is a "valet key" that can't open the glove compartment. Otherwise all the keys should work in every lock.

I would be very surprised if you really have a different lock for the trunk/hatch. If you really only have one key that works in the hatch lock, that would mean that lock was replaced since the time of manufacture and they were really stupid when they replaced it. I'm pretty sure that a dealer can order a body lock to match the existing ignition lock, which avoids the extra key issue.
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    I have not actually done it "yet".
    There is one speed signal which goes to the dvd deck under the drivers seat and to the dash display screen. Procrastination is a terrible thing.
    Since my dash display had to be replaced I am wary of the modification and warranty. The next trip I take will be in September and will probably get so annoyed at the stupidity that I will be modifying it when I get home.
    I will report when this happens
    Do you mean the gray-out of features when it's rolling?

There is a way around that.

See:
    darmock, "2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander" #1100, 31 Jul 2005 7:18 pm

Works like a charm
  • pcsparkspcsparks Member Posts: 1
    Hi all
    Has anyone carried out mods to the highlander 3.3V6 to upgrade the motor performance.
    Thanks
    Paul
    Thanks for the info gazguzler
    I will try that first opportunity.
    Many electronic keypads have hidden codes and keys, It doesnt surprise me that there is a hidden sequence. What is a surprise that this is the first time I have seen mention of it.In video games its called cheat codes. On interlocked equipment, its hidden keys and switches used for service. If this works on my HL will probably forego any mods.I will be able to get my wife to program on the road.
  • ulevulev Member Posts: 57
    Would that be a Nathan horn ?

Would like to know what product you used and how you did it.
    Must be nice to 'wake up the dead'....
    It works exactly like you said. I am probably going to have to try all the options listed. should make for some interesting button pushing.
    Thanks again
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Or you could receive a valet key that has absolutely no rubber on the head. That is if you did not get the security package. The third key would look like a key from the olden days of the 70s and 80s.
    Glad it works for you. Came from a Lexus list (shows how clever they really are).

Tell me how it goes with the other buttons. I always meant to but I'm only in the car when I'm in a mad rush somewhere. It would also be nice to work out how to permanently overide so you don't have to do the key sequence each time you get in the car.

Most of all, how to play dvds on that screen. For that I'd give mineral rights
    Man I hope they never find out how to play dvds on the Nav screen. That is all we need; drivers engrossed in what is on the screen instead of driving. It would be great if you could use a cell phone while watching the dvd!! NOT.
    Yeah, but what about when you're parked and camped up. Some of systems let you watch dvds when you're in Park. That's all I am asking for. Jeez a $2k system and you can't play a dvd on it?
    Okay, but I'm sure you know that the HL has a dvd pull down system for the rear seat. Much bigger than the nav screen but about the same cost. Too much $$ for me.
    It's not an option on the hybrid. I think they were embarrassed about breaking the $50,000 barrier so they don't offer some options. You can't get a dvd on the hybrid which is another reason I'd really like that screen to play them.
  • kiteskites Member Posts: 1
    I still have the stock air box, (with K&N)
    would like to know if I can change the short curved (approx 8 " long)
    intake to the box??????
    It has a 4" opening in air box , & only 2"air inlet.
    Dale
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    Anyone know if this option can be added and at what cost if a HL has a sunroof? I asked this in another forum but no answer yet. I have seen it as part of the factory options with a sunroof but am unable to find any HL with both options at this time. This is the only way I know to get an outside temp gauge on base HL.

Thanks
  • telecastertelecaster Member Posts: 4
    Well, I'm still considering my options for upgrading the base stereo in my '01 HL. I've been going through old posts on this subject, but there seem to be differing opinions on certain things. Is it possible or practical to change the base head unit for the JBL head unit? I've seen used ones on ebay, and it also seems that other Toyotas use the same unit. Is this true? Does the JBL unit have line-level outputs for an amplifier? The reason I ask is that I would prefer to keep the Toyota unit because of the larger controls and much nicer looking design. The tiny buttons and gaudy graphics of aftermarket head units do not appeal to me at all.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I have an 03 Highlander base V6 w/moonroof, and added the auto-dimming mirror w/outside temp. Did the install myself.... Don't have time now to look, but i think i bought the part from a Toyota dealer that has an internet presence for its parts dept.....maybe tuesday I wil be able to post more info for you.
    ""Does the JBL unit have line-level outputs for an amplifier?"

Definitely yes, as HLs with the JBL option have a power amp external to the head unit.

Not sure whether and, if so, to what degree the JBL head unit is any better in terms of sound quality relative to the non-JBL head unit. I'd question going through the hassle and uncertainty of upgrading the head unit as the speakers are what affect sound quality the most -- consider keeping the non-JBL head unit and add an aftermarket power amp and speakers to improve the sound!
  • telecastertelecaster Member Posts: 4
    Somehow, I knew you would be the one to respond to my question:)

Are there any others out there that have kept the base head unit and added an amp and better speakers? Has the sound quality greatly improved?
    ("Somehow, I knew you would be the one to respond to my question:)"

Somehow, I think everybody else on this board sort of knew it too...)
    In fact, we were waiting for your response. ;) Let's face it, your the man on this board when it comes to stereo stuff. I know you didn't ask to be appointed but you have earned it. Plus, a lot of us don't know beans about it.
  • raghuramraghuram Member Posts: 5
    Guys- Any update on this issue? I bought a new HL'05 and have the same issue..Is there any way it can be changed to Auto lock/unlock when the gear is shifted..I have this feature even in my 01'Jetta..Can't belive that a 05' HL doesn't have this !
    Anyone purchased vent shades and have a recommendation of good place to purchase and can you provide an estimate of cost for these? Think these would be good compliment to our vehicle.

Also is it possible to add heaters to leather seats on vehicle?
    Try: http://www.allfortrucks.com

Don't be put off by the name. They have many accessories for the Highlander and are currently having a sale. They want $69 and change for four smoke colored deflectors. I don't know how this compares with other places but I have had good luck with the service and products here. This weekend is 20% off I think but I deleted my email.
    Do be put off by the prices, though. They should be www.allforschmucks.com

They sell a cooler console (that's great, btw) http://www.allfortrucks.com/script/UniversalParts.asp?toplevel=2&Category_ID=1144&category- - =travel_cooler_and_warmer_console
    for $121 and pretend you're getting $72 off when you can buy it direct
    http://www.vectormfg.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php?cPath=24&sort=2a
    for $39.

If they were trying this in New Orleans they'd be arrested for price gouging.

And that's the problem with most of these outfits. They're just predatory in their pricing. Better to shop around for each item you need.
    Hey, I'm the original comparison shopper. The things I have purchased were very competitively priced. Of course I only buy when they have a 20%-25% off sale along with free shipping. But you are right in that their retail price and the "you save" price are ridiculous. The retail prices are phony and some items are over priced for sure. You just need to pick and choose.
    Can anyone tell me if there is anything we need to do for the auto dimming mirror with compass and outside temp to work?

If we push the "comp" button the compass/temp display shows, and then once it is on, if we push the "temp" button it goes off and visa versa. So why the 2 buttons for the same thing and does the auto dimming feature work automatically or is there something we need to do to control the intensity of headlights it senses?

May sound like a dumb question but have never had an auto dimming mirror and know from experience salesman unfortunately don't know about all the options on vehicles.
  • mpetrillompetrillo Member Posts: 1
    I just put on Cooper Discoverer ATRs. I have an '01 and didn't get much out the original Bridgestones either. In between I tried Dunlops that were highly rated by Consumer Reports. But they didn't do the job. The Coopers ride great, are quiet and firm. After two months or so, I'm very pleased. If you feel like travelling to Gaithersburg for a mechanic, I can't recommend highly enough Larry Cho's Garage. We've recommended him to many friends and never had a complaint. He was our mechanic for 7 years before we moved out of the area.
  • bjshanbjshan Member Posts: 3
    i'm also looking for a cargo mat for the back area. i dont like the one toyota offers--it's black--ugh--but i need something to deal with snowshoe dripping and rafting gear wetness. anyone know of another company who makes this sort of thing?

thanks
    One of the originals in this area is www.mats.com They have black, tan and gray. But at $109 plus $12 shipping I think they are too high.

You might try http://www.allfortrucks.com They have tan and gray for $90. This weekend there is 20% off plus free shipping over $75. I bought a tan one to go with my interior and it fits like a glove. Had it about a year now.
  • tlearnctlearnc Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading through your posts regarding the Highlander Hybrid trailer wiring harness, but I have not found an answer to my specific question.

I do not own a hybrid, but own a 2005 Highlander with 3rd-row seat and towing prep package. I can not find the 4-pin connector you (and others) have mentioned. I seem to have very limited access to the rear interior of the vehicle. There are two removeable covers behind the taillights, and that is the only place I can even find any wiring. Where do I need to look, or what do I need to remove to find this connector?

Thanks - any help you can provide is much appreciated.
  • larry34larry34 Member Posts: 3
    Hello.
    I purchased a new HL, V6/4AWD w/towing prep package, and planned on
    buying a 3rd party hitch (for about $150usd). The 3rd party kits look real EZ
    to install...the HL has pre-drilled holes and the custom hitches need only be bolted in...but I am not sure about the electrical....It seems like I need to attached
    to the HL's rear tail lamp...but then what a pre-wire? I called Toyota, but the customer service person did not know, and the dealer was not clear.

I thought prewire meant that there would be a connector under the rear fender, but there is nothing there! If I do it myself, only have to purchase a touqe wrench, wire-kit attachment, and hitch for about 30 minutes work and $200 versus $600 at the dealer.

What does a pre-wire do (aside from the slighly larger generator and fan fuse)?

TY
    :confuse:
    MY QUESTION TOO!!!!!
    I just purchased a 2005 HL w/tow prep package...but there seems to be no
    pre-wire hidden anywhere to connect to. :confuse: :mad: :confuse:
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    I was told that it is hidden with the spare tire. I don't have my '05 here to verify that at this time; however, need to look for it myself, too....If I can get the vehicle back from the family member who is always driving it....
    Do a search on "tow prep" and you will find a load of posts about this. It has been discussed extensively here.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Anyone buy seat covers for your highlander? Rear seats and also 3rd row? Where did you buy from?

Thanks!

Ryan