Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    innerloopinnerloop Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the heads-up on the incentives. Just for comparison, what is MB's NORMAL lease rate for non-incentivized cars?
  • Options
    rogerw73rogerw73 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Just a quick question--I want to buy a 2003 C230 and I'm wondering if the Bose system comes with a CD player or do I have to buy the changer--I don't recall seeing one or for that matter a tape option (I don't think I own a single tape)?

Thanks
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The Bose upgrade, which in my mind is a complete waste of money, doesn't include any CD capability. The good news is that the factory changer has been drastically reduced in price. The bad news is that a single CD slot in place of the cassette probably won't be standard equipment until the '04 model year. I was hoping it would happen for '03, but as we all know, not so.

Virtually everyone else in the business has gotten religion on this topic - MB wants to be the last holdout, apparently, but it appears we are less than a year away from putting this to rest.
  • Options
    petercrasepetercrase Member Posts: 19
    I like the way the Bose sounds in my 2002 C230. I can't compare it to the non-bose set up though. I have listened to Bose for about 30 years, so I guess I'm a fan.
  • Options
    huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    The bad news is that a single CD slot in place of the cassette probably won't be standard equipment until the '04 model year.

True enough, although I'll take a single CD before forking out $800 for a 6-CD changer.

The irony to all of this is that the stripped down A Class (A140) that I had as a rental car in Germany this summer lists for under $15K, but even it had a single CD slot player.

-hh
  • Options
    ...the new changer is a $400 option for '03 [but only if it comes installed as a factory item], but I agree entirely this is silly. Hopefully no more than one more year before the NA market gets a rational solution as std equipment.
  • Options
    rockribbed1rockribbed1 Member Posts: 9
    Hey everyone! I'm back (had a 'puter crash, lost all, changed servers so had a new email address, etc,).

Had a little early snow here in S/W Va. Performance tires combned w/rwd backing up does NOT work (ESP useless, as usual). I was trapped in the garage, had to back up a slight incline, and didn't make it. Don't have to depend on the C (have awd Suburban as back-up)and don't get a lot of snow so probably won't invest in snow tires, but if you do think about it.
  • Options
    earlamearlam Member Posts: 6
    I had my wife test drive the 2003 C230 today, last time we test drove, we drove the 2002. I did not notice much difference in performance in city driving. I have emailing the dealer, his first offer on a car(not the one I asked about) was less than the MBUSA list by about $200. How low below MSRP it likely they will go?
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I went with my neighbor to pick out a new Mercedes last week - she ended up with an 03 C230k for $1,400 under MSRP. The salesman is a friend of mine who used to work at a BMW dealer - bought a couple Beemers from him there.

The Mercedes dealer had a new C sedan with the Kompressor engine in it. Mercedes just came out with it - it comes with 17" wheels and a 6 speed standard for base MSRP of $25k - I loved the way it drove. What's even more interesting is Mercedes is putting the 320 engine with a six speed in the C coupe for a base of $27k. My MB dealer didn't have a 320 coupe but I asked him to call me when he gets one in.

I Haven't been able to get that C230k 4 door off my mind since I drove it. I really liked that car, but with 2 new cars in the last year - an X5 and a VW GTI turbo - can't really justify trading the GTI in on the C230k sedan with a six speed - it is tempting though.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Is it replacing the C240?
  • Options
    Rick...if you get too tempted, I suggest you try a test drive in the Sedan with the stick configuration. I tried it ~15 months ago and found the position of the stick around 2" too high.

Meantime, I've been very pleasantly surprised with how well my C230K with 16" snows has been handling in the messy conditions we're having here in the East.

-hh
  • Options
    The C320 Coupe, the C230k Sport Sedan and C320 Sport Sedan are all net additions to the line, and replace nothing.

Both of the new sedans have the firmer suspension of the coupe, plus other "sports pkg" stuff [interior bits, seats, exterior bits] and thus are not considered replacements for anything else in the sedan line. Both the standard C240 and C320 sedans and wagons continue with the standard suspension and interiors.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well Mercedes has done it now! They managed to offer TOO many C-Class models/configurations. Is this right:

C230 Coupe
    C320 Coupe
    C240 Sedan
    C320 Sedan
    C240 Wagon
    C320 Wagon
    C320 4Matic Sedan
    C320 4Matic Wagon
    C320 Sport Sedan
    C240 4Matic Sedan
    C240 4Matic Wagon
    C230 Sport Sedan
    C240 Sport Sedan
    C320 Sport Sedan
    C32

I'm not sure if the C230 sedan comes in a non-sport configuration. No wonder MBUSA hasn't updated their website, lol. No way the E-Class will ever regain it's #1 sales position in the U.S.

M
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I'm actually glad MB came out with more iterations of the C-Class. With some models having an MSRP of $25K, it became a bit easier to own an MB.
  • Options
    I didn't know about the C320 Sport sedan - is that as inexpensive as the $27k C320 Coupe? I assume it doesn't have all the standard features of the regular C320 Sedan - is it equipped like the C230k Sport sedan except with the 320 engine?
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Do you think I should start up a new discussion for the new 2004 C320 coupe/hatch? Or I could just add "C320" to the title of this discussion. What do you think?

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Options
    jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    This posting forum isn't recieving much traffic these days. The latest posts have sparked some interest and I'd keep things here, where many of the posters have already bookmarked.
    My .02
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    This board could be renamed "Mercedes C-Class coupes" too.
  • Options
    serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    I have seen several references to the C320 Coupe, but have never been able to find a picture or any specs or discussion. Anyone help?
  • Options
    The C320 Coupe is really new -it and the C230 sports sedan isn't even on the MBUSA website yet.

My MB dealer called this morning and told me they just got a C230k sport sedan in with a 6 speed. I'm going in this afternoon to test drive it. I'll ask for some info on the C320 Coupe while I'm there. About all I know is the C230k sport sedan starts at $25k and the C320 Coupe starts at $27k. 17" wheels and a 6 speed manual are standard on both.
  • Options
    2ndmb2ndmb Member Posts: 72
    I'm going to test drive a 2004 C320 Sport Sedan with 4 Matic on Saturday. I've read the press release from the LA auto show and it looks like a nice car. The price with automatic, 4matic, heated seats, sunroof, etc is around 41k. I'll report on the test drive over the weekend.
  • Options
    My dealer got it's first C230k sport sedan with a 6 speed manual in, I test drove it yesterday. It had a 6 disk changer and sunroof package with an MSRP of a little over $31k.

I was totally impressed, the sport tuned suspension was near perfect, nice power delivery, very nimble feeling. Overall a very nice, complete package and the price was certainly right.
  • Options
    mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    No matter what the body style, I'm interested in following news about the 320 engine (and other features that the C-class models share), so if you put the coupe somewhere else, I'll probably check in there too.

The 320 is one of automotive's great engines and now that the 350 replaces the 320 in the ML, until is shows up in a Chrysler product, the only other car where the 320 can be found will be the E-class and that's pretty good company.
  • Options
    innerloopinnerloop Member Posts: 26
    Its also available in the CLK320.
  • Options
    drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Is the throttle lag apparent in the automatic version? I am very interested in this car and want to get as much information (including comaparative ride, off the line pick-up, and road noise). I would probably get a c230 sport sedan automatic BUT w/o the 17 inch tires. Would probably trade the tires with OEM MB 16 inchers. I am not crazy about the looks but I'm very particular about road noise, I don't want to feel gravel type road grains. Dealer doesn't have yet the model that I want.

I drove the c240 with automatic but was disappointed by the weak off-the-line pick up and the too-soft ride (ala camry) but I am happy with the rest of the car.
  • Options
    Is the throttle lag apparent in the automatic version?

IMO, any engine takes some getting used to, particularly if you're driving a stick and it is Supercharged or Turbocharged, as 'dead spots' are more common. Its learning curve as far as I'm personally concerned.

For automatics, my wife's car is an Audi A4 1.8T w/auto and there's a little bit of lag here and there. Its been ~18 months since I test-drove the C230K w/auto, and my impressions at the time was that it was very similar to my wife's Audi. Overall, I'd say that a perception of "less lag" is nothing more than concealment by the slushbox.

I am very interested in this car and want to get as much information (including comparative ride, off the line pick-up, and road noise).

FWIW, I found the ride characteristics to be slightly different between cloth-vs-leather and 16"-vs-17" wheel packages. Leathers w/16" was the softest, and cloth w/17" the firmest. FWIW, I bought the cloth w/17".

I would probably get a c230 sport sedan automatic BUT w/o the 17 inch tires. Would probably trade the tires with OEM MB 16 inchers.

If you're going to lose the 17's, you may as well just not buy the option at all, in my opinion: the other bits within the package are color-coordinated door handles (for any body color other than black :-), a louder exhaust, and a short-shift kit which is irrelevant if you're not getting the manual.

I'm very particular about road noise, I don't want to feel gravel type road grains.

I've found that the road feel with the C230K (cloth/OEM 17"s) was "less isolative" than on my former drive, a 1995 Saab 900S with 16" Dunlop SP9000 summer tires. I'm currently running 16" snows on the C230K, and I want to say that the road feel is smoother (less harsh) than my Saab was with 15" snows, which means that the MB has changed less overall between summer & winter tire stocks. So far, I find the ride quality with either tire to be acceptable on my local roads (Northern NJ, with occasional road trips down through Philly into Maryland, etc). Overall, your best option is probably to borrow a car and take it out for a ~60 minute solo test drive, and make it a point to hit some of your local roads that you have "road surface quality issues" with.

-hh
  • Options
    lukymelukyme Member Posts: 46
    I have the '02 C230K with auto and 17" wheels. My son drives the car, and we don't get allot of snow in central KY, but we found you don't need much to stick this car. This is the first winter and I suspect the Continental performance (summer) tires are the problem. We had just a couple inches of snow, and the car would not go on just a slight incline. You can get stuck in a parking lot very easy. I disengaged the Traction Control, and was able to get him going again, but I was really concerned about the ability to go in the snow. The tires have only 10K on them but seem very slick with virtually no traction in snow whatsoever. Since we don't get but a few snowfalls each winter, I don't want to go through the trouble of changing over to snow tires each winter. What about replacing the Continental's with an all season performance tire ? Any suggestions.
  • Options
    You can do a couple of things to make things more livable. First, put some weight at the rear (sand bag is commonly used, maybe 50-150 lbs depending on outcome). Second, you can air down the tires to minimum safe level. I guess from 32 psi to about 26 psi to maximize road-to-tire surface contact. However with low tire presure, it is not good to drive at continuous high speed due to repeated rubber flex.

That is what I used to do in my country when the road gets very slippery.
  • Options
    The C230k sports sedan has 17" wheels, the sport suspension and 3 spoke sport steering wheel all standard.

I drove a 6 speed and automatic C230k sport sedans. I like a manual and fell for the 6 speed but the automatic was very nice. Much better response than a C240. The new 1.8 aluminum block engine is supposed to be a big improvement over the previous Kompressor engine. I didn't notice much if any lag, just nice progressive power with no perceptable flat spots.
  • Options
    rockribbed1rockribbed1 Member Posts: 9
    The throttle lag experienced in the Audi IS from the turbo - it takes a while to spool up and provide the boost (characteristic of most turbos - some more than others). The Kompressor being engine driven isn't affected as much, so you seem to get more grunt earlier.

As far as tires, if you don't get many snows special tires probably aren't worth the cost. But your problem does point out a major short coming of ESP and similar anti-lock based traction controls: they just don't work as well as a good positraction/mechanical system. I've had it on several cars both domestic and foreign and am very leery of their claims. I guess they're better than an open differential, but not much.
  • Options
    Has anybody had a mishap about their IC hitting a road obstacle/curb/bumps? I am concerned about its location which is at the chin portion. My wife could damage it since she is not as careful as me when driving the car.
  • Options
    lukyme: welcome to the wonderful world of Continental tires {grin}. I've never particularly cared for the brand; I think part of it is that their rubber compound selection gets more hard/slippery in the cold (as you've already experienced) than other tire brands.

IMO, there's no good fix except to get another set of tires. Since they should easily go another 10K miles and because all-season tires are inherently a compromise, I'd recommend a 2nd set of rims with dedicated winter tires. EuroTire set me up with a set of four steel 16"s and Vredstein's for around $800.

((BTW, note that many non-OEM 16" alloy's have interference problems on C230K's))

rickrover...thanks for the info that the '03s are OEM'ed with 17"s. Guess the big question here is to research if they've up sized the disk brake diameters such that 16's won't fit on them.

-hh
  • Options
    I doubt MB changed the brake disk diameter - I'd be suprised if 16's don't fit on the car.
  • Options
    fabmbfabmb Member Posts: 1
    I just got my first MB last Sunday!! :)

My C-230K... Silver... C5 and C7 packages...they couldn't find one with C4 package as well :(

I've paid out of door 32,000 (California). I thought it was ok based on another dealer that offered 32,200 WITHOUT Leather (C2 instead of C5) and based on Edmunds TMV of 30,660 (plux taxes and fees)

So far I love it !!!! Everybody at work thinks I'm rich or something... and I have to explain that I got the car for "just" 32K.... bla bla bla... :)

Does anyone know if I can install the C4 package later on at a dealership??
    Also, any alarm system recommended for the C230K??

Thanks
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for sharing the details. Hopefully someone will be along soon that can respond to your questions about the C4 package and alarm system.

Have you tried asking your salesman or dealer service? You may also be interested in checking out our Aftermarket & Accessories Message board. Good luck. And please keep us posted on your ownership experience! ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Options
    suz15suz15 Member Posts: 1
    just thinking of getting '03 C230K coupe with C5(premium package) and C7 (tire upgrade). i live in phoenix... hot weather... does 17" really increases performace or 16" would do fine... somebody can pleas help me out about the $750 C7 package worthiness? what i heard is that 17" will give more noise but is there any other thing which i need to know? thx.
  • Options
    response but at the cost of a little harsher ride. However, I want a 16" on a c230 sport sedan (standard is 17") because I want a more cushy ride.

Anybody, please post your driving experience on c230 sport sedan. Thanks.
  • Options
    1016rosa1016rosa Member Posts: 10
    I have been looking at the 2003 C230 sports coupe and I have gotten prices ranging from MSRP to a dealer on the internet that just came back with $3000 off sticker price. Can you tell me what's going on. I love the car but wondering if I should wait for the BMW CS1 to come here. I had a 318ti that I had to sell but loved the car and would like to get a small car again. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone here experienced the German made Fulda Assuro tire? I am considering getting a set of these on my 1999 C280.
  • Options
    cmeskiicmeskii Member Posts: 3
    Buy all the German cars you can afford! I have a garage and due to you, who buy German cars with their substandard electrical systems, I can send the children to college!
    From the bottom of my heart thank you!
  • Options
    From an alleged garage-owner who can't even install a power amp in his Chevy Avalanche, so he asks Circuit City to do the job :-)

In any event, the reliability of low voltage systems is an issue industry-wide that's not unique to one manufacturer. The automakers previously moved from 6v to 12v because it improved reliability. There's R&D ongoing today for a similar voltage jump: IIRC, the number that they're currently talking about adopting is 42 volts. ETA is ~5 years.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't address the issue of parts quality: personally, I put the quality of AC/Delco a lot closer to Lucas than I do to Bosch. YMMV.

-hh
  • Options
    lafdbuflafdbuf Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone connected their own cell phone to the built in system in this vehicle?
  • Options
    oldsalt1oldsalt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking into buying a C230 w/in the next couple of years or so. I really like the idea of owning a MB for under 30K, but I'm concerned w/ the expense of repairs. I'm aware of the new car warranty but I intend to keep this vehicle for a long time. I was told by various mechanics that MB parts are way too expensive..."I've seen people get into MB C-class but not be able to afford the parts later" He quoted a price for a cat. converter as $1600.00
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    ciracira Member Posts: 37
    I posted my story on the C Class board but I guess I should have put it here.

I purchased by C230 on April 3, 2002. For the first few weeks the car was wonderful. Then the trouble began. In the course of the next 10 months, the following defects occurred:

1) The rear seat cushion was defective and had a large bump in it. This was replaced.
    2) The parking brake stopped working and had to be tightened.
    3) The car pulled to the right. Three alignments were done to no avail. The dealer now blames the problem on the snow tires (even though the problem existed before the snows were installed, and despite the fact that Mercedes expressly advises customers to install snow tires).
    4) The headlights did a fine job of illuminating the house numbers along the right side of the road but did little to light the road. They had to be aligned twice.
    5) The rear shock bolts came loose (not in connection with any driving hazard) and had to be replaced.
    6) The stick shift and pedals vibrated so much that the dealer changed the engine mounts. Problem is no much better.
    7) Floating mirror problem that others have had. Dealer changed the controller and the problem was corrected.
    8) The bumper fascia behind the left rear wheel came loose and had to be reattached.
    9) Endless creaks, pops, rattles and squeaks. The sunshades on the panoramic roof had to be replaced because they were rattling around like loose bolts. The trunk lid has been “lubricated” several times to stop it from creaking like an old door hinge when driving. The dash and the glove box had to be tightened down as they were giving off loud “pops” when driving. Felt tape has been installed on the combar (I don’t know what that is but it’s what they said was the problem) to stop a rear rattle, and around the rear seat trim to stop squeaking. The tail gate panel trim had to be adjusted to stop a rattle and the tailgate shocks had to be replaced for the same reason.

All of this has not stopped the problems. The alignment still pulls to the right. When I close the center blue air vent the air diffuser lets out a loud high pitched whistle. The dealer says this is normal but not a single loaner car I was given made this noise. The trim on the “B” pillar has come loose and constantly makes a cracking and popping sound. The tail rattle still comes and goes (sounds like a loose tailpipe). Lastly, the driver’s headrest intermittently fails to lower when the seat is pulled up in the entry/exit position. When this happens I have to remove the headrest and reinstall it to reset it.

In 10 months of ownership the car has been in the shop for 44 working days.

Have others had these kinds of problems? Is this a lemon or do I do as others and sell it and cut my loses. Or is this the kind of stuff you have to live with as a new millenium Mercedes owner? I actually love the C230 but I hate this car. Every week it’s a new problem. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    retguyretguy Member Posts: 3
    Rosa - Where did you get a quote for the MB C230 Sport Coupe for $3,000 less than MSRP?
  • Options
    lghb1966lghb1966 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 C320 sedan, when I turn on the ignition switch, I hear a clicking noise approx every 5 second for about 3-=45 seconds. of course it doesn't do it when I take it to the dealer. has any had such a problem and what it may be?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Options
    rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    If it sounds like it's in the dash near the vents/key area then its a stepper motor on one of the dampers in the ventilation system. This appears to be pretty "common" and the dealer should be able to deal with it quickly.

JR
  • Options
    mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    Happy to solve your problem. We had the same problem but it was easily fixed in the end.

The noise probably is something on you key chain. In any event, it is easy to verify by driving only with the C's key like the dealer did.
  • Options
    I'm about ready to order a 6 speed manual C230K Sport sedan - my dealer has had a few on the lot but none have had the C4 package (Xenon headlights). Looks like I'll have to order it - it'll be here in 2 months.

I was able to test drive a C32 AMG that was really impressive. Hard to believe the C32 costs very nearly twice as much as a C230k sedan. Have to say it's worth it 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, incredable brakes. I actually considered the C32, only thing I'd have to do is sell my 01 BMW X5 - can't part with that so it's a C230k.

I've been looking into C230k performance upgrades as well. Renntech has a kit that takes the stock Kompressor to 230 HP with a couple simple upgrades. The warranty is still intact as long as a Mercedes dealer installs the upgrades - just happens to be a Mercedes dealer that carries Rentech accessories that's not too far away from me.
  • Options
    magar65magar65 Member Posts: 28
    I have also ordered a C230. Where can I get information online about the Renntech upgrades -- 230 hp would be awesome! Is it expensive?

Thanks in advance!
This discussion has been closed.