Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    In mid-August we ordered a silver hatch w/autotranny, charcoal power cloth seats. No sun room, Bose or other add on's. Talked to the sales guy last week, he had info that the car was built on the week of 9/10, and he said to expect a 6-8 week wait for it to arrive here where we live, the SF bay area. That puts it at the dealer in mid-late-November. Can't wait!

In the exchange during the sale, it was MSRP, no markups, and since every unit has to be basically factory ordered, no haggling. But, at least we are getting exactly what we want, made just for us in Germany, and that is sweet.
  • acaribgirlacaribgirl Member Posts: 1
    I was not thinking of getting a new car as yet but I too stumbled upon the C230 while browsing on Edmunds. Never thought I'd be able to afford a Mercedes but this one for sure is WOW!!!!!!!!
    I visited a dealer in Ft Lauderdale. Talk about pretentious....they took forever to get to me and was too busy showing the showroom model to an "OLDER" gentleman. I had to wait for the salesman to get the keys and show me one outside. He did not offer a test drive and was more interested in if I drove a Mercedes now. Well even with the above experience I am still very interested in the car. I am very curious to see what the green(citeron)......can't remember the correct colour name, looks like. Any dislikes beside the backseat space??
  • vjoe_udovjoe_udo Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know if it is possible to order a C coupe with only the sunroof option? (sunroof + rain sensor)
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    Yes - there's no minimum # of options that you have to get or anything. It'll take 2-3 months, but you can get exactly what you want.

The sunroof is really great, btw.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    ...what is already out there? Brabus stuffed 400hp into this Coupé, a real wolf in sheep's clothes!

Howling Tarik
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    As tommyp13 mentioned before, and is now even more fitting: they need a tach that's "larger than a quarter".
  • lukymelukyme Member Posts: 46
    First time to post on this discussion. Thanks for all the input. I read every post. I visited the local MB dealer to look at the C sedans, and gravitated to the coupe. I really liked the looks of all the C-series, and after the initial drive, well, I'm ordering a coupe today. Just so happens the dealer has one arriving in 2-3 weeks that fits my wants. Silver/Ash, auto,C7,C2, and 29K !
    I'm replacing my fun car (2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder) with this little beauty. I just needed more room (ie: back seat, and some room for other stuff). It's not a convertible, but will do nicely.
    I saw a post earlier about the C7 17" wheel package, with concern about the ride/noise from the tires. Does anyone have a good comparison on this ? Dealer tells me the C7 does not take away anything from the ride, but improves handling a little. I just like the looks of the larger wheels.
  • jbreez1jbreez1 Member Posts: 46
    Thanx for the info. Do you mind sharing what you paid (total after all- tax, title, etc)? Will understand if you don't. Only options were power seats and auto right?

Thanx

Jbreez1
    First of all, the c7's rims really are very nice. As far as ride and sound, I'm probably not the best person to ask. I'm coming from a lowered crx, and so far have driven the ccoupe with the roof open, windows open, and stereo blasting. I'm also still operating in the break-in period, but the ride is comfortable without making you feel like you're driving a town car.

But, don't forget about the other goodies that come with the package. The car looks terrible with the black door handles, and color-keyed ones make it look so much better. For $750, it's a steal.

I'm kind of surprised that your dealer has one that's not pre-sold coming in. You're lucky (no pun intended).
    Group,

Is maintenance included with the C230? If so, how long? What kind of warranty is included?

thanx,

Jbreez1
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    It is my understanding that maintenance is included in all model year 2000 and up Mercedes in the United States regardless of the model. My C240 & ML320 are covered for 4 years/50,000 miles. Warranty is the same - 4 years/50,000 miles.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I just got back from the dealer, and spent quite a bit of time alone driving 2 C230 Coupes, one with and one without the C7 wheel package. I decided to take the silver with the wheel package that is due to arrive around 10/15/01. These sure are great cars for the money. Can't beat the MB value for the coupe.
    I also spent some time in a C240 Sedan. It was real difficult deciding between the sedan or coupe. I agree with all the previous posts about how sweet it would be if MB could drop the 6 cyl. engine into the coupe sometime in the near future. Anyway, I love the pep the 2.3 Kompressor has, but also love the refinement of the V-6.
    Oh well, no car is perfect, but these are pretty darn close.
  • suprchrgdsuprchrgd Member Posts: 8
    Pics Tommy, pics!!
    Go to the C230 vs. RSX discussion topic - I posted a link to my photopoint album there.

I really love the car, and everyone should get the C7 package. If you can afford the car, another $750 won't kill you.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    No problem jbreez1. Here are the numbers we agreed on for our 230K at Smythe European.
    Base $24,950, Silver paint $640, Auto Trans $1300, Power seats $1225, Destination charge $645: Subtotal - $28,760 - Tax, Lic, Etc ~$2600. Grand Total $31,350.

And yeah, bumber to bumber for 50K or 4 years, plus maintenance is included for that time, which I believe should boil down to oil and filter changes.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    Don't make us go slumming in the RSX discussion to get the pics! Give us a link here! ;-)
  • PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    Hi - Just took delivery of a new C230 coupe (Alabaster white). Noticed that there is a vibration which seems to come from the rear area. Occurs only at certain rpm's. Seems to be related to engine speed, not road surface. I removed the hatch cover and that seems to have put a stop to the vibration. Just did this an hour ago. Not sure if this is the source of the noise. Anyone have any ideas or experiences with this? Thanks in advance. Pete
  • c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    Found a good deal on the 6-disk CD changer for the C230. Auto Class in Miami Fl. www.autoclass.net. Cost $420.00 includes cable, mount and changer plus install instructions. This is a Mercedes factory changer and when installed by dealer has 4 year warranty. They recommend that it be installed by the dealer, labor 2.5 hours was quoted. Make sure you tell them if you have standard or Bose Radio, think the cables are different. Hope this helps..get the car in two weeks.
    Regards
    Tom
    Thanks for the info. I will check this out, as I am getting the C230 coupe in about 2 weeks. The dealer quoted me $750.00 for the dealer installed MB CD player, but I thought that was a little steep. $450.00 sounds more like it, but 2.5 Hours labor seems alot. Do they have to take a bunch of dash components off ? Does the dealer installed MB unit just come with quick connections ?
    I will ask the dealer what they do to install the MB unit, and a different unit. My thought is that if it's only a couple hundred more, and they don't have to take the dash apart to run more wires, connections ect. I might as well pay the $750.00. Any other experiences with the CD issue ?
  • grandsport1grandsport1 Member Posts: 4
    Does Benz ever offer incentives or rebates? The C230 is by-far my first choice, but I cannot seem to justify the purchase of the $30k car (optioned) with the 6.5%-7.5% financing when there are now so many other manufacturers (all GM companies, Dodge/Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln/Mercury)offering 0.0% for the "Keep America Rolling" program inspired by the 9/11/01 tragedy. I'm now considering the $36k Saab 9-3 Viggen as I'd pay 36k for that, and 36k for the C230 when adding in the finance charges. Thoughts?
    luky - you should be able to negotiate a deal better than you can get from purchasing it aftermarket. Make sure that you tell them that you know about cheaper options (that's what I did), and they should cave in quickly. If not, you have a phone that works, right?

Viggen is a very nice car. The biggest two enemies against it are: depreciation and torque steer. When driving it (pedal position ain't the greatest, either), hit the gas heavy when you're close to getting in the fat part of the rev range, and the steering wheel will get a mind of its own. It's kind of scary. Also, take a look at 2 or 3 year old viggens, and look at the fire sale that develops. Especially with the '01s and '02, as the new '03, when released next year, will put a serious dent in their values. Check out www.saabnet.com for their discussions, and ask their feedback.

Long-term reliability isn't that great with Saabs either. Two other reasons why I didn't get a Saab: I don't like the new dash (I liked my '83 900s much better), and the color choices have gotten very boring.

As far as the specials: ask yourself one question: if American cars are so wonderful, why are they offering deals on them? Call my cynical, but I don't think that patriotism is all that high on their lists.

Also - no rebates or incentives on c230s, though you should start to see deductions in '01 models, especially the e class, because of the new e coming out next year.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    I watched the guy install my cd changer in the glovebox of my C240 in 20 minutes - complete.

2.5 hours seems a tad high.
    jjpeter,

Thanx for the info, I really appreciate. I just got over the first hurdle, the "girls" (wife and daughter) like the C230.

I am going to start actively shopping. Looking to buy in next few months or so. Looks like it takes that long to get one anyway.

I'l keep you posted, hope to have my first MB soon.

thanx again,
    jbreez1
    The C240 comes prewired, the C230 does not. They have to remove the front panel and install the changer. Mercedes should have prewire the 230 and the install cost would be a lot lower.
    Regards
    Tom
    I don't have the car, but I do remember reading in their literature that the C230 does indeed come pre-wired with fiber-optic cable for the CD changer. That same brochure however, also mentions a C6 Sport Package different from the C7 wheel package. I haven't heard or seen any other information about a C6 package.
    Update. Just called Mercedes and they said that the C230 is pre-wired, so much check and see why they want 2.5 hours to add a bracket and plug in the CD changer. Will let you all know the out come.
  • 1702817028 Member Posts: 45
    To paraphrase Erin Brockovich: "It's called *money*, Dave!" Car manufacturers always find some options where they can fleece us. Me, I'd rather skip an option I want than pay twice what something is objectively worth. Maybe I'm just cheap.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...I think it goes like 'If it ain't already there, then I don't want it.' Consumers should always cut back on giving the dealerships reason to make more money off of buyers.
    I know people have asked a lot about the outrageous prices of specific options, and have heard that the dealer may "help" with some. I've priced my choice out at just under $32k, should I expect to pay the full amount? I've never purchased a Mercedes, do they negotiate at all? What should I expect?
    They're still selling all that they can get in on the ccoupe. Pretty much the best deal to get is a free cd changer. Some people have posted about being able to get under msrp, but I wouldn't expect it if I were you, especially if you're going to order it.

What options are you getting? If it's not silver or black, and the options are a weird combo, expect to have to order it, which will take 9-12 weeks.
  • rockribbedrockribbed Member Posts: 44
    MB dropped 'holdback' a while ago, so as tommyp13 says, expect to pay sticker. The mark up is about 7% so that is all they have to play with, so unless they sell a LOT of Mercedes or have a high-volume line at the same dealership, sticker is pretty much it.
  • gholmesgholmes Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all, some very interesting reading, stumbled across this board while researching the C coupe. Ordered mine yesterday, now the wait begins! Getting the car from American Service center in Arlington VA, Black with oyster leather interior, 6 speed, C1, C4, C5, C7 options, got the dealer to toss in the 6 CD changer for $295. After reading the prior posts I knew that there wasn't going to be any real negotiating but am content with the CD player price. Have driven the car several times, both 6 speed and auto - much prefer the 6 speed. Have spent a lot of time in the girlfriend's 2001 BMW 325Ci 5 speed, think the cars are comparable, the C coupe actually feels a little quicker to me and is much more comfortable in the cabin. 325 feels cramped in the cabin but handles great. Will get delivery in January. Any information out there on aftermarket engine performance boosts? will it affect the warantee?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you bought or shopped for a 3-Series BMW, C-Class Mercedes, Jaguar X-Type or other small luxury sports sedans since Sept 11? If so, your comments are of great interest to the Wall Street Journal. Please get in touch with Jeanine Fallon via jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • rbraverrbraver Member Posts: 13
    I need help. Up until a few years ago my cars were all manual shift. The first auto I (reluctantly) bought was a 2000 ML320. I do like the convenience of not doing the constant clutch work on my daily San Francisco-San Jose commute, but I miss the better acceleration I perceive I had with a manual. That being said, are 6 speeds better than 5? The brochure has the auto and manual at virtually the same acceleration speeds. With the $$ I'm already spending on this car, another $1,300 won't kill me, but I'd love to hear from someone who has driven both the auto and the manual and could weigh-in. Thank you!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Nothing wrong with either the shifting quality or the clutch take-up of the six-speed, but I personally prefer the automatic. You can do all of the manual shifting you want, then leave it in auto mode when creeping in traffic, and the performance difference, as you note, is minimal. At least your question is framed the right way - I too have owned both over the past 40 years, and get more than a little aggravated at people who imply that "real drivers" only drive manuals. Real drivers make rational decisions based on how the car is used, and display their skills no matter what transmission delivers the power. If you live in an urban area, and the SF area is about as urban as it gets these days, I see no reason to put up with the manual when the MB automatic is such a virtuous piece of work.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...I do prefer manual transmissions though, but good point on the definition of "real drivers" -- it's drivers who know how to drive regardless of transmission choice.
  • carwatchcarwatch Member Posts: 38
    Is there any good comparative info on C230 sports coupe vs 2002 BMW 325? I'd appreciate any help on this.
  • fgrethelfgrethel Member Posts: 24
    I just test drove the C230 for the first time. It was a 6 speed, as this was first choice for the vehicle. The clutch is fine, but the shifter is notchy and crude. was extremely upset about this. I had tested a Passat 1.8 manual before the Mercedes, and a BMW 325 immediately after. The Mercedes was the poorest manual by far. Working hard to "finesse" the manual took away what otherwise was a fun car to drive. I may not get this car now, as I find the auto expensive and non-intuitive in how you up or down shift in the "semi-manual" setting. In addition, there was not a single auto trans MBZ C230 to drive in the state of Arizona. I am willing to take a great deal of abuse in buying a car, but I need to drive one before I pay full list and then wait 4-6 months for delivery. (6 months is the delivery that I am being quoted for a C230 with leather. Apparently the cows are "madder" at MBZ than all of the other car companies in Europe that are having no difficulty sending leather clad vehicles to the USA)
  • carwatchcarwatch Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for the info.

I test drove the C230 auto trans. Admittedly, I was surprised. I expected less because of the base price but it was a pleasant surprise. It had enough power and acceleration, handling was good, and the seats were comfortable. The wait for leather seats here in NY is about 6o days.

Now I have to test drive the 2002 BMW 325. I need to personally compare the two.

Info from you and others are very helpful.
  • sgerlachsgerlach Member Posts: 17
    I'm interested in the C-Coupe 230 but am wondering about reliability of mercedes products. I went from Toyota reliability for 14 years to vw (have been towed more in two years than in 14 years of Toyota ownership). A friend has told me that I won't care about the Mercedes service rule (same as VW; over 24 hours you get a car; versus the local bmw dealer that gives you a loaner soon as you drop your car off for any scheduled service) as the car won't need much service. True??
    ...will be better than VW, and worse than any Japanese alternative - that's just the fact of the case.

Loaners are up to the individual dealers - general feedback is that most people get a car to drive with little or no trouble, as long as they have an advance service appointment. What those wheels will be is up to the dealer, and likely to be Taurus-basic, but you shouldn't have to rent a car.
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    I was just quoted 36 months, $359 a month, 15k miles a year, $1660 down, for a 230C with a roof. Is this a good deal?
  • jbudro1jbudro1 Member Posts: 5
    This should be for a total of 26,590 and works out to a .00348 money factor or 8.4% with a 65% residual value. I've heard that some people are getting as low as a .00319 money factor, but I have also heard of getting alot worse. Overall I,d say thats a pretty good deal, but just be aware that sales tax(9% in my area)could boost that payment to about $459/mo(at 9%).
    I have a C230 committed to me, that was already ordered for stock to the dealer, due on 10/13. My dealer called me last night to tell me that the car was held up in Baltimore, MD. port due to a issue with the "Seat Belt Automatic Tensioner" or something like that. He mentioned several Benz's were held also. My take on it was that they were going to repair/replace them before delivering to dealers. Maybe another week or so. Not complaining about another week, as I just committed to take this one about 2-3 weeks ago. (Silver, Auto, C2, C7).
    Anyone else heard about this issue ?
    ...rings a faint bell, but cannot remember where or when I read about it. Somewhere in the trade press...
  • mlsphdmlsphd Member Posts: 26
    Not wanting to make current buyers feel bad, but wanting to help future buyers, I'll share my shopping experience in the NY metro area. Lots of dealersare within a 60 minute drive (NY, CT, NJ). Telephone shopping found a number of them willing to sell a built to order car for 3-4% over dealer invoice. I'll be placing order in a day or 2. I'd be interested in hearing experiences from other parts of the country.
    Well that makes Two of us. Mine C230 is in Jacksonville and I got the same reason, but no sure delivery date. It's like waiting for seX. Let me know if you get more info.
    regards
    Tom in Daytona
  • jbudro1jbudro1 Member Posts: 5
    My car is due to arrive in Jacksonville on Tuesday the 16th. I called and asked my dealer if he knew anything about a hold for seat-belt tensioners and he said that my car should not have a hold, but ones from the two decades before mine was built would be held for repairs.
  • mlsphdmlsphd Member Posts: 26
    In the process of ordering a c230 coupe. Although Mercedes marketing gurus reportedly are aiming this car at a 30 something female, they might be surprised. It does have the appeal to pass the review by wife and daughter (the fashion police). However, we are a 40 something/50 something couple, and for us the "C" designation stands for "college", as in the Mercedes you buy while paying kids college tuition (which amounts to the price of a nicely configured "c" every year). The minivan will hang around to transport large loads around, but the C230 will let us enjoy driving again in the post soccer-mom years. My last Mercedes gave 12 years of fine service, and then was sold in one day for 25% of it's original price. No other car brand I have owned has given that value or service.

In our test drive, I tried, unsuccessflly, to have it fishtail starting on wet leaves. The car is amazingly surefooted and has Mercedes quality throughout.
This discussion has been closed.