Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Upcoming Hatches (real or concept)

2»

Comments

• salleynesalleyne Member Posts: 3
    Any one heard about th e price on the Mazda 6?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750

What do you think? Also, come share your thoughts with us in our new Saab 9-3x discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

From Edmunds' Concept Spotlight: Scion ccX, by Warren Clarke. Also, for more discussion, come join us in our new Scion ccX discussion. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

Another hot hatch to soon hit the market! Read the news here.

Also, come join us in our new Ford (5- door) SVT Focus discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

Read the news here. Also, come share your thoughts with us our new Honda FCX discussion. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I think that the hydrogen powered Highlander would be more useful than that Honda.
  • gtijonesgtijones Member Posts: 2
    From the photos I've seen in car magazines, the Mazda 6 hatchback is the best looking hatchback in existence. It's so well thought out that the hatch is almost indistinguishable from the sedan in exterior appearance. But,is it coming to the U.S. or will we only get the sedan and wagon? Hatchbacks are the most functional vehicles on the road so it would be great if there was a beauty like the 6 available that can handle very well and hopefully run with some gusto. The only flaw I can see is the interior, specifically the titanium plastic console, but hopefully that can be optioned. I'm ready to upgrade from my 2000 GTI VR6 and this might be the one.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    We are supposed to be getting the hatch here (and not too long from now, either).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    The hatch is coming to the US next spring or summer (wagon also). I totally agree that it's the best looking hatchback around, and it was smart of them to make it look like the sedan, because that's the look people want (at least in this country). The only other midsize hatchback around, the Saab 9-3, is turning into a sedan in the new version, so the Mazda will be the only midsize hatchback available. I'm betting that'll be a great niche for Mazda and that they'll sell pretty well. Now I just hope they'll be importing enough that I can get what I want (4-cyl, manual hatch, with side and side-curtain airbags).
    For those interested, feel free to also join us in our ongoing Mazda6 Hatchback discussion on the Hatchback's board. Especially those of you that come across any interesting Mazda6 hatchback news..., we look forward to seeing you there. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka

Host

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    This one has a piece of news many of us will not like, if true. The hatch and wagon (with available all wheel drive) are due in a year OR SO. Sigh.

Otherwise a great article:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0210/18/b01-615423.htm

• ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    A3 would be interesting, except it seems to me to be just a marked-up (but smaller, if I'm not mistaken) Corrado. Somewhat like when you buy an A4, you pay extra for them to shrink a Passat.

Big problem with the lower-end Audi's. You pay extra for sheetmetal and some interior trim pieces, not content.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    what would happen if they tried to sell the new Opel hatchback here in the states? I think it looks pretty good - here it would be the impala hatch, I guess...or is it Malibu?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• phoenexiusphoenexius Member Posts: 30
    The A3 is a sweet looking car. It is more like a luxury golf.
    www.audi.co.uk

Opel/Vauxhall Hatch, which one?
    Astra is a Cavalier (I think)
    Corsa is a similar size to the old Sprint
    vectra is same platform as new 9-3 and mailibu; which might see a hatch in a few years (sooner if they see that the Mazda6 hatch is selling hot in N/A)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I wonder if Toyota has any hatchbacks in the pipeline. they have some really good ones in Japan. (Corolla Fielder, Ecom, Will VS) the ECom is more of a electric commuter like the Th!nk from Ford.
    "This will be one of the hottest hatchbacks of all time, so it's only appropriate that it will come from the manufacturer who invented the term in the first place."

Read the full story in Edmunds' Future Vehicles section. Also, come discuss the Golf R32 with rickrover and others in our new VW Golf R32 discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Post #66 "I wonder if Toyota has any hatchbacks in the pipeline."

You may be interested in our Scion ccX and Scion bbX discussions. ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

I also posted this in our Upcoming Wagons discussion, but thought it might appeal to some of the participants here. What do you think? Is it a wagon or a hatch?

Read all the details in Edmunds' Future Vehicles Section. Also, for more discussion on this upcoming vehicle, come join us in our new Chevy Malibu Maxx discussion. Thanks for your participation!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

From Edmunds Future Vehicles section: 2003 Ford Focus SVT Hatchback.

Also, come share your thoughts with us in our Ford SVT Focus - 5 door discussion. Thanks for your participation!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • gtyler2000gtyler2000 Member Posts: 17
    I thought that hatchbacks don't have the rear window like this picture does. Is there some sort of rule for what makes a hatchback versus wagon? Or can the manufacturer call them anything they want? Giving rise to the term 'Sports Wagon'.

I want my Mazda 6 HATCHBACK
    Manufacturers can call their vehicles whatever they please for marketing purposes, at least in the US. The term station wagon is generally avoided like the plague. Note, for instance, that no Vibe or Matrix is EVER referred to as a wagon. Even though they sure do look like wagons!

Too many negative images of big, suburban station wagons used by mama. Still, that has been so many years ago that most young buyers have no memory of the large wagons. Instead, they remember mini-vans!
  • gtyler2000gtyler2000 Member Posts: 17
    I read a review somewhere that mentioned the term 'hatchback' had been associated with 'cheap car' in the past and that's why us stupid Americans don't buy them.

I just think cars look better without that third window. And having lived with my sedan for the last five years, I'm thinking that a hatchback would be a lot more useful.

Hmmm... Maybe they need another new word to play around with: 'hatchgon' or 'wagonback'. Yuck, let's hope not. Hey, I guess that's why the Edmunds forums usually include hatchbacks with wagons.
    it is a hatchback if it has a straight horizontal roofline all the way to the back window. That is why I agree with conventional wisdom that the Matrix is a hatchback.

My old Subaru Outback Sport was a hatchback too - in that car the roof barely extended beyond the rear seat before it sloped way down.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The Matrix has a very slight dip towards that window. By your definition, how much does that angle have to be? An old Vista Cruiser from GM also had a slight dip. Was that a hatchback?

Go to the http://www.toyota.com and pick the Matrix. Look at it carefully again.

And then think an AMC Hornet Hatchback, which included the rear window in the liftgate, but was ALL angle, nearly to the bumper, and an extreme angle at that. Same story for the AMC Spirit, though less so.

They make a wagon version of the Focus that extends farther back behind the rear seat than the 5-door SVT Focus pictured here--so this car has to be a hatchback. Or I suppose you could call it a long wagon and a short wagon...no, to me, the ZX5/SVT 5-door looks like a hatchback. What I can't decide about is the Mazda Protege5. Somehow it looks more like a wagon, although it doesn't have much room behind the rear seats, and it doesn't look all that different from the Focus hatchback.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Dude! Say it's really true!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Can't wait. :)
    Edmunds.com now has information on the 2004 Scion xA in their Future Vehicle information guide.

image.

For more discussion on this upcoming hatch/wagon, come join us in our Scion xA discussion. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    The offspring of Mini and Matrix?

I wonder how much it weighs.

Also, Toyota is just determined to get the gauges out of the drivers line of sight - that is going to be an uphill battle, I think.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    It's the offspring of the Echo, as it is on the Echo platform
    they should make a hybrid version.

• kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    Has anyone seen this new AWD hatch from down under? Holy cow! A 5.7L V8, AWD, and a hatchback with a fold down tailgate. I could live with a smaller more economical engine, but other than that - bring it on!
    Edmunds' now has information about the 2004 Audi A4 Coupe/Hatchback in their Future Vehicles Guide. Check it out, and let us know what you think.

Also, come join in our new 2004 Audi A4 Coupe/Hatch discussion. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Looks like Canadians are getting the Yaris 3-Door and 5-door, badged the ECHO Hatchback.

Too bad for Hatchback fans in the US.

http://www.newswire.ca/releases/February2003/12/c9604.html
  • scooter71scooter71 Member Posts: 56
    just returned from brasil and the car magazines there (quatro rodas, auto esporte) discussed the new smart to be built there (in juiz de fora, minas gerais). based on a new mitsubishi colt platform, awd will be optional.

will be interesting to see how they market it here, and through what distribution channel(s).
    Mazda has a concept 5-door hatch/wagon at the Geneva auto show they're calling the MX Sportif. According to Edmund's, it should be similar to the next generation Protege, to be called the Mazda3 when it comes to the US (in late 2003?). I hope they have a version that looks like this, it's pretty sweet little car.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/92552/page005.html
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    This thing is cute. A hybrid version that sells for 18 grand would be nice. Now, only if I could get a tan interior........
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I read a post earlier on in this topic about the Saab 9-2. From what I understand, The 9-2 is a joint venture with Subaru and will be based on the Subaru Impreza WRX, complete w/ AWD and the 2.0L turbocharged engine.
    complete with construction on the Subaru line in Japan with the rest of the WRX's...

"This replacement for the Protegé will likely debut as a five-door hatch similar to the current Protegé5 before spawning sedan and three-door hatch variants."

Read the full story in Edmunds' Future Vehicles Section: 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Also, come share your thoughts with us in our ongoing Mazda 3 Hatch discussion.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Information about the 2004 Toyota Prius is now available in Edmunds' Future Vehicles Section.

Also, come share your thoughts with us in our new Upcoming Toyota Prius 5-door discussion. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    If you don't own the photo, please just post a hyper-link to the photo, instead of embedding it directly into the message. This is to insure that we don't infringe on another website's copyright protections. Hope you understand.

For further clarification on this matter, please read the "Intellectual Property Rights of Third Parties" section of our Membership Agreement. Also, feel free to email me (revka@edmunds.com) if you have any further questions/comments about this; please do not address this matter with me here. Thanks!

And now, back to the subject of the Upcoming Hatches (real or concepts). ;-)

Revka
    Host

Check out Edmunds 2005 VW Golf information from their Future Vehicle Section. Also, come share your thoughts and see what others have to say in our new VW GOLF V 2005 discussion. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    From Edmunds' Coverage of the 2003 Frankfurt International Motor Show: Mazda Kusabi Concept.

the Ford Visos Concept.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • immovableimmovable Member Posts: 14
    This car is so much what I've been looking for! Sexy, practical, and luxurious, w/ AWD and killer performance.

Do you think there's any chance they'll build it? Are there any substitutes you'd recommend?
    Hi immovable, Sorry, I meant to respond to your post sooner. You may get some ideas in this discussion: Best Hot Hatch - SVT, Civic Si, GTI, RSX, Mini, Beetle.... Good luck! ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
This discussion has been closed.