Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• junbugsjunbugs Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I realize that you posted this solution back in 2002, however, I am experiencing the same problem and the dealership does not know what is wrong. Do you happen to have the exact part number or name for this Power Supply Relay that you mentioned in your posting? Thanks
  • beetlemanbeetleman Member Posts: 1
    A couple of days ago my cruise control quite working. does anyone know if it could be a fuse or is it more serious? and i also need to replace one of my tail lights if anyone knows how to do that i would much appreciate it. thanks.
  • spot2spot2 Member Posts: 15
    My wife has a 2000 1.8 Turbo New Beetle with about 60,000km on it.The air bag warning light has just come on the dash. Is this a common thing? Is it serious or is it something simple like a hidden fuse somewhere that the dealer will want to gouge me for? Been totally happy with the car , less than happy with dealer service. Any help or advice is muchly appreciated.
    HI ya. We have a fairly big stroller made by Zooper. model is called a Zydeco.We found to fit a stroller in you have to put it in the front seat. Junior goes in the back of course and if you have a passenger they will also have to go in the back. We weren't able to fit one in the hatch.
    Ok now I'm replying to my own message. i just read the other input form other owners and will try the battery disconnect and see if that works.
  • rawfastingrawfasting Member Posts: 1
    Did you evern discover a way to repair your window? I have a 1999 bettle with a window that fell down in the door!

Thanks
    Steven
  • heresdave231heresdave231 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone! I have a 1998 New Beetle 2.0L, and am having a bad problem. It idles great, but its REALLY doesnt want to accelerate. It stumbles horribly if you push the gas just a little bit, both driving and sitting in park. It acts like a mass airflow problem, but the MAF sensor and circuitry check out fine. It has no DTC's and the MIL is off. Timing belt and marks are dead on. The only problem I have found is in the Throttle Control Module. If you measure resistance between pins 2 and 8, its supposed to have between 3 and 200 ohms resistance, but Im getting infinity. I believe this is the TPS circuit, but my wiring diagram doesnt specify. You have to replace the entire throttle body on this car if that ir the problem, but it costs around $400.00, so I just wanted to see if anyone here thinks or knows that replacing it will fix my problem......or if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    David
  • javbwjavbw Member Posts: 1
    if the temp light is coming on right at startup (when it is cold) then your water level is low. the coolant tank in the corner of the engine has a sensor for pressure/level/something and you need to add water. if you can see the little drain at the bottom, you need h2o.

that is also the case if it is coming on and off randomly as you drive.

Otherwise, you have a failing water pump or a stuck thermostat (both require service).

the tank sensor is a stickler, so keep an eye on the fluid level.

I have had all three happen to my bug. ^^
  • jpuncmomjpuncmom Member Posts: 1
    This is exactly the kind of comment I've been looking for about the new VW Airbag sensor light staying on. We purchased a used 2004 VW from a dealer in Durham, NC and this problem showed up about 3 months later. They are telling us that they will need to remove the driver's seat, take it apart to fix the faulty switch, put new fabric on the seat and then reinstall it, all of which can't be done at the dealership, at a very hefty price. I'm worried about putting this much more time and money into the car, but realize that it is a bigger issue if the airbags won't deploy. Does anyone know of another cheaper solution in this area? Thanks!
  • toad3toad3 Member Posts: 3
    I just had my switch replaced yesterday, the second one. There is a recall out for the switch. I would make them give you your money back, my second one was no charge.
    Toad3
  • pooksypooksy Member Posts: 3
    its just the engine temp. blue is cool, red is warm.
    my 04 had the same problem. vw knows about it and replaced the switch.
    is a faulty switch. vw dealer replaced and everything was fine. was under warranty. ck w/a diff. vw dealer.
  • bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    Perhaps someone on this board can help answer a question for me. My first car was a 1969 VW Beetle, and I've always wondered what was the horsepower on the 1,500cc engine?

Does anyone know where or how I can get info on the old Beetle in general?

Thanks,
    Bob from Valley Stream, Long Island
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi,

Edmunds did a nice article on "VW Generations" that you might find interesting. Here's the link

VW History From Edmunds
  • bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    Thank you very, very much Mr. Shiftright!! Talk about answering a question in a timely manner.

I loved the Edmunds article and finally found out after all these years that I had only 53hp! And I never felt like my car was underpowered over 109,000 miles and ten years of joyful ownership. Could it be that all this horsepower mania we see today is overdone? Could we really be happy with base engines that accerate to 60mph in 9.0 seconds? Why not? Think of the oil saved.
  • chadrappchadrapp Member Posts: 35
    WE have a 2002 Beetle with 45,000 miles. We had the car for a year and a half with no problems but....now it has been in the shop 3 times in the past few months. First the brake sensor went bad and the car wouldn't go out of park. Fixed under warranty. Next the alternator went bad. Fixed under warranty. Then the catalytic converter went bad. Fixed under warranty. Now I am very worried about the car due to all the recent problems with relatively low mileage. Are these signs of things to come and should I just go ahead and sell it? Any opinions?
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    SELL IT! Before you get to 60k, plan on replacing the water pump and the fuel pump. They are both expensive. Beetles typically start falling apart around 50,000 miles. I was so relieved to get rid of mine. I would not drive a VW again if they paid me. The whole experience was miserable (buying, servicing, customer service, etc...) :lemon:
  • cuervogoldcuervogold Member Posts: 2
    If you haven't bought the VW yet, don't! I have recently gone through a major run around from VW US in getting repair work on our 2004 VW new beetle convertable covered by the warranty. Seems they don't cover OUTSIDE INFLUENCES under the 4 year/50,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty. OUTSIDE INFLUENCE is the term they can use to exclude just about anything that "happens to" the car once it leaves the show room. My wife spilled some coffee when trying to use the factory cup holders and now the transmission is all screwed up. Who would ever dream that someone could spill a little coffee when trying to use cup holders?? APPARENTLY NOT VW!! What happened to the vaunted "german engineering"? Apparently they don't drink coffee while they drive in Europe and nobody ever has an accident with anything damp. What a joke. This is after the inconvenience WE'VE had during 15 PREVIOUS warranty repairs. Maybe it's just that "VW engineering" is an oxymoron, but you should stay away from these problem plauged cars, unless you'd like to make the car a "hobby" to fill up ALL your spare time and money. And believe me, all the advertising and tv commercials are convincing and cute, but the employees are rude and inconsiderate when they get on the phone with you (VW even has the audacity to call their people "advocates" in the 800 phone number menus!! What a joke!) Now I have to go to arbitration to get this fixed under warranty. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with VW, but I'd advise checking out a car like the PT cruiser convertable instead, better warranty service and less money, too.
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY! The VW customer service was absolutely terrible. They acted like complete jerks, once I was even told by a VW service advisor, "What are you going to do, try to get it fixed at a non-VW dealer, Good Luck." Over-priced and over-hyped pieces of crap. I have talked many many friends out of buying a "Cute/Cool" Bug or a new Jetta.
  • allmatallmat Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Beetle 1.8T has about halve tank of gas to go and my gas door will not open. Clearly I have a problem. Does anyone know how to manually open the gas door and/or better still how to fix it?

I'm about to turn 80,000 miles and this car is a dream - never lets me down,(until now)...Thanks.
  • calbug550calbug550 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I just purchased a new 2006 Beetle about 3 weeks ago. Ever since I bought it I have noticed that the trunk release does not open on the first try from the driver door or the key. I have to press it 2-3 times to get the trunk to open and it makes a purring noise when I do this. I have also noticed that both power windows on both driver and passenger do not close properly. Sometimes when I go to roll my window up, it automatically goes back down again without me making it go down. What is going on?!!
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    You people amaze me.

VW vehicles are guaranteed not to leak for 4 years/50,000 miles is you never wash them and never drive them in the rain or snow. How difficult can that be?

Similarly, the inner door handles will not peel if you do not touch them, so don't!

And never open the glovebox and you will never have broken hinges. And leave those windows and covertible tops up too! And you will not have problems!
  • vwtroublevwtrouble Member Posts: 1
    could you let me know if you come across an answer please?
    I think the problem may be a window motor or the relay attached to it, but i don't think it's sold separately.
  • wantabeetlewantabeetle Member Posts: 8
    I have an 06 NBC as well and had the same problem with the driver's side window. It would roll up about halfway and go right back down. I had no problem getting it fixed at my local VW dealer. They told me something about the window regulator clamps had broken. In fact, if you look at the NHTSA website where they list all the bulletins and recalls, you'll find a service bulletin for this problem. Also, if you look at other year model beetles, apparently this has been a problem for a while. Anyway, the dealer ordered and overnighted the parts and fixed my car the next day. Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    our NB has a leak or the A/C drains are clogged. symptom is the rear drivers side floor gets a puddle of water. we've had monsoons here lately but have not driven through big puddles. it's still a mystery - dealer has not found cause yet.
  • dekescdekesc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 VW Beelte and is making a whirring sound when I turn the steering wheel.

I suspect the fluid is low but I can't see where in the engine compartment I add the fluid.

Where is it and how do I get to it?

Also, what tpye of fluid should I add?

thanks.

Dekesc
  • bug04bug04 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 Beetle has a rear turn signal bulb out. We took her by the dealership and the service manager said, "working from the inside the trunk, remove the wing nut and there were two clips you must press together." My wife and I have both searched for these clips and have not found them. We took the car to a mechanic who used to work for Volkswagen and he could not figure it out. He called the dealership where he worked and they didn't know. Meanwhile we still don't have a rear turn signal. Help
  • worried3worried3 Member Posts: 2
    hey dude, maybe it's your fuel pump?
  • worried3worried3 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if this is normal or not.

My 2000 beetle seems to go through a heck of alot of oil, there is no leakage coming from anywhere in around or underneath the engine. could somebody tell me if this is normal!
    Depends on how much you use. A little oil use is no big deal. Once you start hitting 1,500 miles on a quart or less, you may have problems.

You can get a "cylinder leakdown test" performed for maybe $100 and this will tell you everything you need to know.

Or you can carefully monitor your oil usage and see where you stand.
  • electromanelectroman Member Posts: 1
    Bought car a few weeks ago for my daughter.I THINK THERE IS TROUBLE IN THE A/C system. What is happening is that when ENGINE IS RUNNING, BUT CAR NOT MOVING, A/C SYSTEM SHUTS OFF, AS SOON AS YOU START MOVING TO ABOUT 10 TO 15 MILES AN HOUR, A/C SYSTEM STARTS AND COOLS GREAT..IS THIS NORMAL??????? IF AT A STAND STILL, I SHUT THE A/C SWITCH OFF AND THEN ON, THE A/C WILL COME ON FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES AND THEN SHUT OFF !!!!!
  • kinyokinyo Member Posts: 1
    hey i have the same problem can you tell me what was the answer you got ...thanks
  • jailcopjailcop Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I also had same problem. I just got a 2004 GSL. I have been told to remove fender or remove inner felt liner from inside fender and go in that way. This is how you do it! Open trunk remove round disk then wing nut. From back of car looking at tail light assembly. Use to spoons and place under rubber gasket of tail light one at 11 o'clock the other at 1:00 o'clock pry out the tail light assembly, will pop out. To reinstall place bottom in first place bolt thru whole in trunk and press in. Hope this helps.
    Jim
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I believe VW specifies engine oil consumption of up to 2 quarts per 1,000 miles as normal.
  • ithecactiguyithecactiguy Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

The brake lights on our beetle won't turn off. Even with car turned off and the keys out. I disconnected the battery cable overnight and that did nothing to fix the problem. The EPC light won't shut off, don't know if the two are related???? :mad:

Help.
  • randirandi Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 Beetle and for 4 years, I went through oil like it was water. I probably put new oil in every couple of days, and like you, it wasn't leaking anywhere. The dealership (when I actually had a warrenty) acted like I was stupid (I'm female) and refused to even check it out. Over the years I had this was a common problem for ALL 2000+ VW's, regardless of car type (Jetta, Beetle, etc). Then last August, I got into a car accident, totally busted the front of my car, engine, etc. Now, I have no more oil problems. So, yes, it is normal. I do not, however, recommend getting into an accident to fix the problem. You'll just get different ones.
  • randirandi Member Posts: 10
    5 years ago I bought a 2001 New Beetle. It was my first ever car. Her name is Stella. I should have known when I got screwed at the dealership (I am close to paying off the car but will have ended up paying roughly $35k for it) that I would be in for a serious car experience. Within the first week, the car stalled for no reason. I had it towed to the dealership (I was not reimbursed for it) and they hooked it up to their computer and said nothing was wrong with it. Since I had people in the car when it stalled, I had witnesses, but the dealership blew me off. After that, I noticed a burning smell. Turns out the car was burning oil. For 4 years I was putting a quart of oil in the car about once a week. It was not leaking. This seems to be a popular problem with VW's in general. I got into an accident last August, and the oil problem has gone away; though I don't recommend this action as a solution. Occasionally the engine light goes on, but nothing shows up on the computers. Oh, I also got great gas mileage until the accident (54mpg before, 15mpg now). How does that work? Within the last year, the electrical problems have increased: the little door for my gas tank doesn't like to open; my headlights go out about once a month; my fuel pump keeps getting clogged, and the windows take a moment to think about going up or down, before they do so. I had bought a VW thinking it would be the only car I would ever have to buy, based on their historical reputation for solid and dependable cars. Now, I'm looking at other cars, because this car is a piece of crap. Although, I hear, and maybe others can add to this, that it is a really good car to get into an accident in, in that it is really safe. So that's my sob story. Luckily, I have just under 40,000 miles, so I think I can still get a good trade-in price.
  • muxwhamuxwha Member Posts: 1
    Toad 3, thats the best news I've heard. Been having this shifter problem off and on on my 2003...will check out that recall, otherwise, great little turbo!...thanks again.
  • lightfoot1lightfoot1 Member Posts: 1
    greetings from a mostly happy 2001 1.8 Turbo Beetle owner...cept for the A/C problems today .;( 104 here in Texas.

The compressor behavior you mention is normal as far as cutting of when you stop for a light,but it should come right back on as soon as you rev the engine or get moving .
    On ours, it appears it's maybe the A/C on off switch on the dash..
    my condolences on your daughters car..overours ,and yous should be a pretty good car and , ours has served us well for 5 years...we only have 30,000 miles .
    anyway...we usually have the dealer work on it....
    Good luck
  • vaporizevaporize Member Posts: 2
    I just bought this for my daughter, and apparently the timing belt broke. The dealer where it was at put a new belt on, and then gave up. The car is a 5 spd if it matters on the engine.
    Can anyone let me know where a decent place to buy a good used, rebuilt, or new engine, please?
  • alanmargosianalanmargosian Member Posts: 25
    Call around to German car salvage yards (who bid higher to get the better "totals" at the auctions) and find one with low miles if possible...
  • wlkiser2wlkiser2 Member Posts: 1
    I work for an events management company in Raleigh, NC. We are working on a 1960's themed event and our client is requesting a classic Volkswagen Beetle to be apart of the decor for this event.

Do you know anyone that would be willing to rent his/her car for a couple of hours?

The event date is: April 21st, 2007

The car would NOT be touched by any guest unless otherwise given permission by the owner.
  • maestro7maestro7 Member Posts: 1
    99 NB . The vent selector works in only 2 settings: windshield and legs/bottom. The ac does not turn on automatically in the windshield position . Instead ac needs to be turned on to work ( for either of the two positions). So ac works fine but I think the vent position selector needs replacement. Have I diagnosed this problem correctly? If so , how do I change the vent position selector?
    You'd be better off contacting local VW clubs in your area.
  • tfatfa Member Posts: 1
    Oh man - same thing with me! The EPC light on my 2001 beetle had been going on and off for a few months; lately more on than off. Then just tonight I came out to my parked car and saw the brake lights are on! I went to open the hood to check out the battery but - oh yes - the hood release only works on occassion.

Thoughts?
  • lunarcatlunarcat Member Posts: 1
    I've been having problems with my headlights. Sometimes, they won't come on, but if you tap the light it will come on. I was thinking loose connection. But one of the lights went off completely and no amount of tapping has helped. My question is, when I take it to the dealer, will this be covered under my warranty. This is a 2003 GLS Turbo, with extended warranty. Thanks.
  • fabiano83fabiano83 Member Posts: 1
    Please help let me know if the problem was fixed.
    My bug is a 1999 with only 48,000 miles and this is the second time with this problem. I consider myself lucky after reading all of these problems people have had with this car. The only one I can associate with is the check engine light but it's been a good car so far.
    I am considering to trade it for a different car but not a VW.
    Please let me know how you did with this problem.
    Thank You.
  • flynguyflynguy Member Posts: 1
    Have read the other posts here, and I have the same problem. Can anyone that has gone through the fix tell me what the fix was in the case of a New Beetle?

My EPC light is on continuously and the Brake Lights will not turn off. It's Sunday, so no help until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
    Shawn
  • aarnoldaarnold Member Posts: 10
    i have a 2001 beetle 1.8 turbo. the other day my engine lite came on and i had it check'd at the local schuck's and the code came out to P401 or 411. it said secondary air flow interupted. the dealer said it could be anything from the gas cap to the airpump. has anyone else had this problem and what was your fix. i just had the 30,000 mile service done at 32,000 and it happened 2000 miles later. :confuse: