Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Z3 (All Years/Styles)

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
Here is the new place to discuss the BMW Z3, 2 door hatchback.

Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks Message Board

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    of the BMW Z3.

Scroll up/down that page for other information.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• edmundowilsonedmundowilson Member Posts: 8
    does this car remind anyone else of an E-Type Jaguar?
    Shopping for a BMW Z3? Check out Edmunds' pricing information for 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 2dr Hatchback in their True Market Value Deals of the Week.

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• mattdahlgrenmattdahlgren Member Posts: 5
    Doesn't look like this board sees much traffic... I'm looking into picking up a new Z3 coupe and would like to get some feedback from people who currently own one. Reliability? Fun factor? How much did you pay for it? Thanks in advance...
    This is a fairly new discussion, and I'm working on getting more traffic over here. In the meantime, here's a direct link to our BMW Z3 buying price discussion on the Smart Shoppers message board. Please return here to share your purchase/ownership experience with us. Thanks!

Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• cninbostoncninboston Member Posts: 1
    I find the Z3 Coupe very reminiscent of the Old Jaguar E types. I also see the old Volvo 1800 series. There is something awkward yet very cool in these old cars. I see the same thing in the Z3

I'm reaaaaaly taken by the Z3 Coupe. It doesn't fit my plans right now. Maybe when they start coming off lease in the next few years will be the time to pick them up.
    Could it be that people are really getting these things for less than $200 over invoice? I know I hardly ever see them on the streets of Seattle, but at they really that low in demand? According to Edmunds, invoice is $34,735 (incl. destination) and TMV is $34,913. That's a steal! Anyone out there have that kind of luck? I have yet to go see a dealer about the car.

And yes, this car definetly reminds me of the E-type.
  • alanmakcaalanmakca Member Posts: 12
    I too am considering a Z3, albeit used, as a second car. What have you found out about reliability and maintenance costs? I was considering a Miata. What's turning me off the Mazda is that it is not cheap! For the extra $5K, I'd rather get a Bimmer (even if it is a couple years older).

My concern with the Bimmer is the high repair cost. In particular, how much to replace a clutch, brakes, and so forth??

Have you considered the M-B SLK?
    Those are good questions, I don't have any info on repair costs. But I'm sure they aren't cheap... as with any luxo Euro car. I know my Saab isn't cheap to service, and its an '87. But with proper preventative maintenance, I'd bet the Z3 would have a long life. Plus if you get one that has just come off lease and is a certified used BMW, it should come with some kind of warranty.

Have you checked out the 3 Series board? Easily the most imformative one around, gives lots of good general BMW info (even though the focus is sedans).

Haven't really considered the SLK. New would be too expensive, and the old models only have the weak 4 cylinder.
  • thebigadthebigad Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone out there tell me about their experiences servicing or maintaining a Z3? How much should I expect yearly? How much more is it than an average japanese import? I love bimmers, but I may not be able to afford them over a period of time. Any advice, please email thebigad@hotmail.com

Thanks
  • ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    I've had my z3 coupe since 02/1999. This is primarily a weekend car. The FSS indicated my first service last March at approx 11,000 miles. All scheduled maint is free during the warranty period.
    and thanks for your feedback! We look forward to hearing more about you Z3. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• mallorymoosemallorymoose Member Posts: 1
    Believe me. I have shopped, shopped and shopped.

The Z3 is the best value for the dollar considering a number of factors.
    1) You could care less about driving in it in the winter.
    2) Small cars don't scare you,
    3) You have an old pick up truck to grab a load of fertilizer and a half yard of dirt from the Home Depot,
    4) You don't like driving American Cars (Unless it's the old pick up),
    5) Snob appeal
    6) Well engineered compared to MANY other cars in its class and above,
    7) Very good maintenance warranty,
    8) Fun to drive AND to look at,
    9) Cheap to insure,
    10) Fits easily in to the palm of your hand!

I expect delivery of my Silver 2.5 with a Red interior by the 23rd of May. I can't wait!
    Nice to see a well thought out decision. Good luck on the 23rd May...; please keep us posted. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • bimmerpilotbimmerpilot Member Posts: 17
    I've been addicted to the ultimate driving machines for a few years and outside the warrantee period there is parts secret. It's called the BMWCCA. The largest single marque car club in America which has been around a very long time. A very small yearly subscription fee gets you an outstanding monthly magazine and better yet...up to 25% off of factory parts from many dealerships! I've actually only needed the discount on my very high mileage cars but it's nice to know it's there.

The web site doesn't do them justice but it's good for intial contact info.

http://www.bmwcca.org/

Cheers

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new BMW Z3 Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Hatchbacks.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • hiddenvalleyhiddenvalley Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any experience putting a "hands-free" cell phone in a Coupe? Where did you mount the phone? The speaker? There is not a lot of space for an after market (Nokia) but I can't see the value of the BMW phone at 6 to 800 bucks, just because it fits in the console.

Any thoughts?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    to Hatchbacks, Sportcars, and the BMW Z3 Owners Clubs. You can now access this discuss from any of these message boards. Any Z3 owners or enthusiasts out there? We look forward to hearing from you.

Helpful Links - In addition to the feedback here, be sure to check out the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. You'll find a direct link to BMW Z3 New Vehicle Pricing guide, Reviews, and other related features throughout Town Hall. I've just linked some new items there. Hope you enjoy. Please return here to post your comments. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • exoticdealerexoticdealer Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone gone the route of a chip upgrade on the 2.8 engine? If so what did you think about it? What have you heard about them? How does cold air induction work.....Basicly whats the most bang for your buck simple way to increase overall performance?
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    You chip it and you might void your warranty away.
    Mallory's post was right on .It does have snob appeal.Also,everyone I see driving them seems to be sitting straight up.All they need is a silk scarf and a derby and you'd think you were in merry old England.
  • sjmurray2sjmurray2 Member Posts: 65
    Hello, there seems to be a lot of Z3 3.0s on the lots in Virginia. Any idea what people are paying? I think a 2.5 Liter would be adequate, but if a 3.0 can be had at invoice, then it may be a better buy. Any opinions/advise would be welcome.
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    I've been shopping for a somewhat unique car over the past three months. First car I started to get excited over was a BMW 8 series coupe, then passed when I learned about maintenance costs and received some feedback from BMW owners about the car itself.

After going around on another couple of cars, I'm back on BMWs again! I'm looking at a 1997 2.8 Z3 with 28K miles on it listed at $22k as a daily driver. Car includes heated seats (needed in IL), computer and Harmon Kardon sound system.

However, before I get too far along, I was wondering what people's experience has been with the earlier Z3s? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tetonman
This discussion has been closed.