Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2005 and earlier

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'm having a little trouble understanding your problem. Are you saying that water is leaking into the interior and forming puddles in the driver side footwell? Or are you saying water is traveling through the inside of the door (that is, down the outside of the window, through the weatherstripping at bottom of glass and than through the inside of the door frame) and forming puddles of water on the sidesill? If its the former, than you definitely have a problem. If it's the latter, I don't think anything is wrong. It is very normal for rain to travel through the inside of the door and exit out through drain holes on the bottom of the door frame, which leads to the side sills. Could you clarify a little where the rain is actually leaking into?

It's possible you do have a horrible dealer but sometimes they honestly can't find anything wrong with the car. I have a friend who is the shop foreman at my local Mitsu dealer (it pays to have friends in the right places). He was working on an 03 Eclipse this weekend with only 900 miles that has a check engine light on constantly. He replaced a few parts on it based on the code that was given and gave the car back to the owner. The light turned right back on. He tried to fix it 3 times and was baffled as to what the problem was and now the owner was trying to claim lemon law on it. Turns out, a small rubber hose had a slight tear in it that could only be seen when bent. Replacing that insignificant hose fixed the problem! I'm sure the owner felt like the dealer was playing games with him or he bought a piece of junk, but honestly, they couldn't find anything wrong and the hose was not a part that normally fails. I'm not saying this is the same as your case, but just keep an open mind. I did ask him about your problem but he had never encountered water leakage problems with the Eclipse. I wish you luck!
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    I was under the assumption eclipseowner was getting puddles on his driverside floor.

eclipseowner,
    I agree with ingtongue18 as far as the water flowing through the outside of the window through the door. This is a normal occurrence. The interior panels and mechanicals inside the door are protected by weather proof plastic sheeting for this purpose. There should also be some undercoating on the door panels which protects them against rust.
    I say this from experience from seeing the inside of my spyder door panels. I also get water on the sidesill's...but this is normal.
    Water on the actual floor board however...is not.
  • eclipseownereclipseowner Member Posts: 7
    All I know is that water is forming inside my car, on the step panel and making BIG puddles that last through out the day. the dealership is the one that talked to me about rust, so they must be concerned about it.
    If it's raining a lot and off and on most of the day, water is going to stay on your step panel. It's very normal. There are no drail holes on the step panel for the water to escape through. The water eventually evaporates or runs back off the panel when put on an incline or going quickly around turns. There really is nothing the dealer can do about that water. As long as it isn't getting into your car, you don't have a problem. The Eclipse has a wide step panel so that may be why the puddle looks so unusually large to you compared to past cars. You might want to inspect your step panel and see if a slight incline is formed into it, which would cause the water to stay longer and have a harder time rolling out. Even if there is, it's most likely a design element in every Eclipse, thus why your dealer is giving you the run around and claiming there isn't a problem. I wouldn't be worried about rust though. The step panels are painted and treated just like every other panel so they aren't anymore susceptible to rust. You won't have any problems with rust in the normal time that you will spend with the car. My 84 VW GTI has a couple of rust holes forming on the step panel, but that is after almost 20 years of water sitting there and the Rabbit didn't have the higher quality steel that is used in cars today. In short, try to live with the water and enjoy your new car!
  • jmazz2jmazz2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 eclipse. It is still under warranty. I reported to the dealership that I was having problems with the AC. I come to find out that something hit my condenser and it is not covered by the warranty. It will cost $700 to fix it. A mechanic looked at it for me after my initial shock and told me that it was a poor design for the condenser to be exposed in the front without a grill for something to protect it and even if I replaced the condenser that the same thing could happen again. I am very disappointed because this car is only 2 yrs old and I have to sink $700 dollars into it. I will probably never buy another mitsubishi. Signed very disappointed. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    No factory warranty anywhere would protect you from a repair like that. It's called road hazard. Do you expect your dealer to replace a headlight assembly under warranty because a rock broke the lense? I didn't think so. The same applies to the condenser. FYI, the Eclipse is not the only car without a grill. Many cars use this design and they are all susceptible to the same problem. My 92 Miata and 84 VW GTI both have exposed condensers, so does my dad's 95 Integra.
    Fact of the matter is, you must have hit something large and high enough to go inside the bumper and puncture the condenser. Do you remember anything like that? An animal, road debris, or piece of wood perhaps? I bet a recent thump is coming to mind? Driven behind any trucks throwing rocks on the road (although I think the rock would have to be large and travelling pretty fast to damage the condenser)? I don't think you should blame Mitsubishi for a freak object hitting your car or your inability to avoid whatever it is you hit. Sorry you got stuck with a high repair bill, but that is no reason to condemn a whole company. Be prepared to be disappointed with many other cars if the same accident happens.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Perhaps your auto insurance (comprehensive or collision coverage) could pick up some of the costs here. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    It is good to see you have an eye for spotting possible abnormalities. However...for the sake of your peace of mind :) and future enjoyment of the car. I would try put the wet side sill issue to rest. It is a normal occurrence. The sidesill's are coated with paint for rust protection anyways..

You could try coating them with some wax or rain-x. Maybe it would help with sheeting some of the water off?
  • jmazz2jmazz2 Member Posts: 3
    What if something hits the new condenser? and I have to pay another $700 dollars....!!This is a design flaw. I won't buy another Mitsubishi again. Unfortunately, I learned what to look for (a protected condenser)in a car the hard way. BTW, I don't remember anything hitting the front of the car.
    Sorry you are so disappointed. But it's not a design flaw no matter how much you try to tell yourself it is. Fact: something hit your condenser. Fact: It could happen to any car. Fact: not every Mitsubishi has the same design, so making a blanket statement is uninformed. Even if your car had a grille, you still could have run over a tire tread and flung it up, thus hitting the bottom of the condenser and doing the same damage. Can't you just accept it was a freak accident? That's why it's called road hazard. I even remember a couple of long term tests of expensive cars in Car and Driver where they hit an animal and ended up damaging the condenser. I believe one of them was a BMW and another a Lincoln. At any rate, it's a shame you are so quick to nail a whole company due to a repair that may or may not have happened on any other car. By the way, think real far back. Any unusual thunk, ding, or bump that you may have heard? Anyone mad at you? :) Seriously though, it can take awhile for the freon to leak out enough for the AC to stop working so the damage may have been done a long time ago.
  • screeliscreeli Member Posts: 12
    my 96 eclipse has been a headache since i got it...
    two major problems have existed since i got it, and my mechanics have tried numerous ways to fix and nothing seems to stick

the first problem:
    1) major vibration during accelerations above 40mph

first we thought it was the rims,so i got hub rings, didnt affect anything so i replaced the rims,helped a bit, but still had vibration on accel
    all balancing redone, new tires, new ball joints, suspension checked, we replaced a front axle, drove good for a week, after travelling 100 miles with somewhat bent rims, vibration comes back again...so bad the doors look like they are comimg off

maybe the rims bent the axle again?(dont think so) or maybe both axles need to be replaced?(our next step)

problem 2)
    speedometer doesnt work
    replaced speedsensor, still didnt work
    replaced instrument cluster, still didnt work
    found a broken plastic speed gear in tranny, dropped it, replaced the gear for around $800 and then worked for a week, broke again on same trip(approx: 100 miles)...

at least now the speedometer jumps up and down at times and even works on occasion

my mechs want to buy another speedsensor, i think it would be too much of a coincidence, plus they lost my original speedsensor that was supposedly ok to begin with
    im really hoping its not a differential problem which may explain both problems, but would make no sense to me that it would not have been detected when the tranny was dropped...what else could it be?

someone please help!!!

thanks a million1
    eli
    Are you saying your rims are bent? How did the first axle get bent? Did you run over a curb or something? If your wheels are bent, than that will cause a nasty vibration and rebalancing will not do any good.
    i have been told that they are bent, but im not sure how my axle(s) were bent
    when i had the front axle fixed the first time, with the "bent" rims still on, the car drove fine with a very slight vibration at high speeds

i concluded the slight vibration was from the bent rims, and the major vibration during the acceleration was from the axle...

however, since then i have replaced the rims to find that the small vibration is gone(confirming the connection between the small vib. and the bent rims) but the major vibration still exists(10 tims the small vibration)

could it be that keeping the "bent" rims on rebent the axle(i was told this is not possible) or do i have two bent axles?

i dont know, but im hoping its not a differential problem which could possibly explain the speedometer not working, but wouldnt explain why the vibration is not dependent on gear and that it only exists during accelerations and is worse going uphill...

thanks for your replies...
    eli
    There are 2 cv axles so if one of them was bent, there is a good possibility the other is bent too. Bent wheels will not cause axles to bend so that wasn't your cause. To bend the axle, the car had to of been in an accident or hit something solid like a curb. Other possible causes of your vibration is a bad hub assembly, bad differential, or bad transmission. Is yours an automatic or manual?
    the car was hit, im assuming since it was a salvage title, but did not vibrate when i first bought it, only about 3 months later...but no significant impacts since i bought it...

manual transmission, which was recently dropped in order to replace a PLASTIC speed gear in order to get the speedometer to work...which has recently stopped working again, and the transmission must be dropped again to replace the gear...headache!

im getting the axle replaced, which means ill have both in front new...ill have the hub looked at, and hopefully the vibration will be gone

do you think the vibration could be severe enough to be damaging the speed sensing gear in the tranny?
    i dont want to have to keep dropping the tranny just to keep the speedometer working, even if it is on warranty

do you think the two problems could possibly be linked?

thanks for your advice
    eli
    sorry to disagree with you about the water problem but I get water inside the step panel even when getting a heavy dew and sprinkles of rain only on drivers side, I am not going to live with it if I can help it, I get water on my clothes when getting in and have to carry a towel to dry out the water. Sorry but am not satisfied with my car......................................... :(
    talked to reps from Mits. and they stated that this is NOT a normal occurance. they are looking into this problem will keep you posted on this situation with rain leakage on the kick panel on the driver's side only.....................
  • dony_bdony_b Member Posts: 1
    Hi! This is my first post in Town Hall, and I have many things to say and ask. Which means that this is going to be a long post! I really enjoy reading your posts. Almost as much as I enjoy driving my 2002 Mitsu Eclipse GS, manual shift, dark red, premium Infinity stereo, sunroof, and that cool aluminum fuel tank cap (makes me run anxiously to fill up the tank!... not really). Today, 17 months and 20K miles later, I am as happy with it as ever. Except for a few minor glitches that I will tell you later, I am not disappointed at my little Mitsu. The main reasons I decided to buy it are: (a) I am a big fan of Jackie Chan, and if you haven't noticed it, Mitsubishi has been sponsor of his great movies, oldies (Dragons Forever, Armour of God, Project A2, Heart of Dragon) as well as newies (Who am I? and First Strike). It isn't the main reason, but I decided to mention it firstly anyway. (b) I wanted an exciting sporty car, and my Eclipse delivers (at least in my inexperienced street-racing opinion): I love to swing off the ramp onto I-40 at 80+ mph and feel how tightly the Bridgestone Potenzas adhere to the pavement. Still, I am sure some Yokos wouldn't do harm! (c) I fell in love with its gorgeous, sleek style, that makes it stand out even today, when you can see new Eclipses almost on every corner. Its standard features list is impressive considering the price, also. (d) Its affordable price and the 0-0-0 Plan (perfect for somebody with no cash and some debts after the wedding expenses!). My plan was switching to a cheaper credit right before my first payment, while saving money for a healthy down payment, and finally trimming one year from the original loan term to cut financial cost. Now, with an interest rate 5% lower, 31 months remaining in the loan, payments $100 less than those estimated for the original credit, nearly out of Upside-downville 11 months after making my first payment, oh! and with all my credit cards balances paid off, I am sure that, if you manage well your finances, this plan is an awesome win-win situation. Now, my gripes: I have noticed a rattling/squeaking at the front right section of the dash, probably somewhere at the base of the windshield. It happens only when driving on rough pavement, and I haven't been able to duplicate the noise when I take it to the dealer for inspection. Someone in this same discussion (Msg#42) had a similar problem. Another problem is a rattling (more like a buzzing-whirring-humming) that comes from somewhere in the driver's footwell. It comes up when driving at highway speeds and gets louder when climbing steep hills. Again, I haven't been able to duplicate it with a technician riding with me. Both noises seem to have faded away recently, but still I hear them ocassionally. Do any of you have a similar problem with your Eclipse? The only other problem was that the back cover of the cruise control stalk kept popping out of place. After a couple of trips to the service dept., they decided to replace the entire unit. Blessed remedy! Would I buy another Mitsu? I am not sure. It sure feels sturdy when you lift the hood, the trunk, open the doors, or even the central console and the glove box. If it keeps holding up as well as so far, I might give it a try, specially now that the equipment level was improved for 2003-2004 models, and the prices are down. But not from the same dealer, I am sure of that! Poor rookie me, the salesman tricked me into paying extra bucks for dealer-added stuff and, after cutting $1,500 off MSRP, I ended up paying close to the original MSRP, but far from TMV. I felt even worse when, after getting home I realized I fell into the same game that Edmunds refers to in their article "Blinded by Chrome: High Priced Dealer Add-Ons" (http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/lowdownlowpayments/47677/ article.html), which I had read the day before! Besides, I am starting to wonder how well would a Subaru Impreza WRX do in winter over here. The Nissan 350Z, and the new Mazda RX-8 are also pretty neat choices too. Then again, I am planning to keep my Eclipse for a while, yet. One final question: While washing my car this weekend, a stranger stopped by and, after praising its looks (when just washed it looks so sexy), he asked me if I had ever topped it. I told him that I tried once, and it reached 115-117 mph. He told me that I should remove the governor chip, below the dash. He told me he has a '97 Eclipse (didn't mention the trim) and it reaches 140mph after he removed the chip. Makes sense? where is that chip located? What is your advice? And one more thing, A coworker of mine let me drive her Mazda 6, and it was great! After asking permission to race it, I pushed it to the red line twice in less than a couple of seconds, even though it was automatic! I honestly envied her control panel, it looked so modern and upscale. And she said that she paid around as much as what I paid for my Eclipse almost two years ago. Of course, she did her homework before going out shopping, which I didn't.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your message. Glad to hear your Mitsubishi Eclipse has been serving you well.

While you're waiting here for feedback, you may also want to plug your vehicle into Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if you can find any TSBs that might be related to the items (i.e. rattling) you've mentioned. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Also, a suggestion for the next time you post a long message: break your message up into smaller paragraphs. This will make it much easier for others to read. People will be more likely to read the entire post if it's easy on the eyes. Okay? ;-)

Happy motoring, and see you around Town Hall!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    When I got my driver's liscense in 1992, one of the cars on my dream list (but couldn't have it due to insurance) was an Eclipse GSX. I even drove one a few times (awesome car) I liked the way it evolved through the years and even liked the last GSX with the high spoiler (and I'm not a fan of high spoilers). The new body style came out in (2000?) with the V6 and FWD only which I didn't like too much (as I'm sure many of you felt the same way), but I was into the styling and I understand that the masses make money for Mitsubishi, not the enthusiasts. Very sleek looking exterior. I like the 17" wheels. I was kinda disapointed when it came to the interior design and quality of interior materials. The interior is definitely what turned me off. I ended up finding a leftover 2001 Prelude Type SH last April that I bought and am completely happy with.

The Elcipse Spyder is nice looking and the features/dollar quotient as compared to other convertibles is great too.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but why had Mitsubishi decided to only puit the SOHC V6 in the car as opposed to their DOHC 24V V6 that last saw a home in the engine bays of 3000GTs and Stealths? That was one sweet engine. My Mom had a 1995 Stealth R/T (no turbo) and even with the slushbox that engine loved to rev.

I'd like to see some better interior bits and design as well as a larger back window for the convertible top as some improvements. But please give us an ultra-performance version of the eclipse with either the NA 3.0L DOHC V6, TT 3.0L DOHC V6, or at least the Turbo 4 (for better weight distribution).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kidevo1kidevo1 Member Posts: 31
    He told me that I should remove the governor chip, below the dash. He told me he has a '97 Eclipse (didn't mention the trim) and it reaches 140mph after he removed the chip. Makes sense?

The only models which were capable of reaching near 140mph were the GST and GSX. The GSX topped out at around 137 though. A GST might have been able to hit 140, but they all came with H-rated tires, hence the 130mph governor. Even though the GST spyder's came equipped with V-rated tread, they still kept the governer in them.

As far as it being as simple as removing a chip....well, it would actually require opening up the ECU, pulling out a soldering gun and adding a resistor somewhere.

ummm....no thank you! :)
  • rigors1rigors1 Member Posts: 1
    this is my first post, so please go easy on me. i am very interested in getting an older model of the eclipse to customize. i am looking at older ones due to their unbelievably low price considering how cool they are, and because they seem reasonbly cheap to modify and customize. i just would like any information as to what years i should stay away from, or if there is a certain defect or common problem that many have experienced; i.e. the dodge intrepid and eagle vision often have problems with the transmission because the older models utilized a tranny that was too small for the car to be front wheel drive. some info like that would be most helpful. i would also know how many miles would be acceptable to start off with. thanks for any additional advicve also. peace
  • franhalpfranhalp Member Posts: 3
    Last year the door handle on the driver side broke.
    Since my car had only 21000 miles on it, the Dealer replaced it at no charge.
    Yesterday, the door handle on the passenger side broke.
    I contacted Mitsubishi to find out if this was a problem with the 1998 Eclipse.
    They advised that it was not.
    They stated to ask Dealer to evaluate and possible replace free of charge.

Any comments?
  • rph74rph74 Member Posts: 14
    If you are looking for an earlier model Eclipse/Talon, buy either a 90,91, or 92 built before April 92. These models had the 6-bolt motor which is MUCH more durable then the later 7 bolt models. Many 7 bolt motors (primarily the 95+ cars)suffer from "crankwalk" which is really, really bad, it will eventually kill the motor. The best car to get is the 92 built before April 92 because it has the 6-bolt motor with the 4 bolt rear end. The earlier models had a 3 bolt rear end which is not as strong, and will not put up with as much launching at the drag strip. I have a 91 GSX with 186,000 miles on it, and I run it at the drag strip, I've done many upgrades to it, including clutch,turbo,intercooler,fuel system upgrades. Any Eclipse aficionado will tell you the early Eclipses are the best ones to buy. I've read somewhere that the 2g Eclipse(95-99) are for ricers, while the 1g's 90-94 own the racetracks.
  • hotmamahotmama Member Posts: 1
    have a 98 gs; found dipstick tube broken from block; is this common? ; how easy/hard is this to fix?
  • edwardsdnaedwardsdna Member Posts: 1
    My driver side door handle just broke. I think there is a problem with not only the door handles but other plastic parts. My car has 100,000 but has been well maintained. The plastic molding around the interior rear mirror controls are broken on both sides and in the same place. The plastic housing for the electronic windows control broke. All this may seem a bit trivial but the cost really adds up. The dealer wants close to $80 for a door handle.
  • jwackjwack Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 eclipse and recently the oil light has been coming on. the light does not stay on solid but flickers on and off. there is plenty of oil in it. the tech can't find any thing wrong with it. does any body have any idea what i can do? it is also for sale and this problem makes it harder to sell.
  • lildevil00lildevil00 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse in March of 2003. In June of 2003, my drivers door handle broke. The dealership was gonna charge me $137 to fix it. In November 2003, my passenger door handle broke. I had no way of getting in the car except to crawl thru the trunk or roll my window half way down. A friend of mine showed me how to open it using the door handle until the door handle just broke off. Well this morning, my drivers door handle broke off. I have an extended warrenty that doesnt cover this, seems to me it doesnt cover anything to be honest with you. I cant find the door handles anyway. I cant believe that ive found 2 people with 1998 eclipse's with broke door handles. I am hoping i can use it as some kind of proof to get it fixed for free. i doubt it. When your door handle broke, did it break in the back part of the handle first? Feel free to email me at LilDevil4747@aol.com anyone for that matter than has had this problem with a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you have answers - please post them here so that everyone benefits from the responses...keeping it in email doesn't help anyone else.

Thanks!
  • lildevil00lildevil00 Member Posts: 2
    I will be glad to post whatever i find out on this site but i do not come here much to check if anyone has posted anything, thats why i put my email address so if anyone does email me with anything, i will be glad to post it here. Thanks.
  • jca1013jca1013 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GT with 17 inch alloy wheels and 215/50R17 Goodyear Eagle tires all factory equipment. I have had to have the wheels straightened many times from pot hole damage. One wheel could not be repaired and had to be replaced. Is anyone else experiencing these wheel bending problems with their Eclipse? I am considering a tire with a heavier sidewall to protect the wheel better but I don't know if such a tire is available. This is the only car I have experienced a wheel bending problem. Any help would be appreciated.
  • qrsqrs Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Eclipse, which originally had the same tires that you have and does still have the same wheels. I have had a lot of trouble with bent wheels as well. I've been told that there's just not enough rubber on these low-profile tires to protect the wheels from our driving conditions (i.e., bumpy roads with potholes). It costs $100 per wheel to unbend them, and it's adding up. I don't know what the solution is. Anyone else?
  • kittyykittyy Member Posts: 1
    hey,
    is anyone still buying Mitsu Eclipse nowadays? i did not find a recent discussion on this topic.
    what is going on?
  • markcmarkc Member Posts: 5
    I do not know if my last message went through but I will post it again, does anyone know if the pistons on a 98' eclipse GS are recessed for valve clearance?
    The 2.0 Neon based engine is an interference design, meaning if the belt breaks, the head is trashed.
  • markcmarkc Member Posts: 5
    The engine light on my 98' eclipse GS went off whenever I drive on highway more than 1 hour and the way I reset the system is to disconnect the battery cable. Anyone have similar problem?
    Just take the car to autozone or a similar auto parts store and they can hook up a scanner and read the code for you for free. If the light keeps coming on, resetting it by disconnecting the battery will not help. You need to find out the code so you can determine what's wrong and decide whether its worth fixing. It could be an oxygen sensor giving off bad readings on the highway or a loose connection somewhere in the emissions system.
  • vburrenvburren Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking at an used 98 Eclipse RS, and after doing some researches online, I still can't decide if it's a smart choice getting into this car. The past experiences of Eclipse owners range from really hating it to really loving it! I'm aware of some common problems mentioned by many people however the girl who's selling the car claimed she never had any problem with it. Also, a couple of my friends (Honda lovers) suggest me not to get it without explanations.
    I don't know much about cars and since my first car was a Corolla and the past year I had been driving a Volvo S70, I pretty much have nothing to compare to. However I did enjoy the car while test driving it and felt pretty comfortable.
    The car has 57K on it and it's selling for 7000, it's a RS with a few extra added options. I am not a racer, not planning to fix it up either. Should I get it? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • piper2004piper2004 Member Posts: 2
    Hello--

I am currently looking at two Eclipse one is a 98 GS w/68K, 5spd for $5500 OBO and 01 GT 17" Rims, is this a good deal and will the rims cause any problems?
    The other one is a 96 GS-T convertible, auto, 75K, $6500, good deal? Does crankwalk occur as much on automatics as it seems to on the 5spd's?
    What are the symptoms I should be on the look out for and would a mitsu dealership pre-inspection be able to find signs of that problem?

I have had one Eclipse conv 97 GST but it had much lower miles (under 45K).

I am looking for a car that I can get about 20-30K essentially worry-free miles out of without too much more than proper maint. but I don't have alot to spend and I don't like Civics.
    What is the opinion on either of these cars, I just sold a 01 Z-24 cavalier and it was a nightmare.

Thanks in advance for any opinons, suggestions and I do plan on getting the vehicle a pre-purchase inspection done by a hopefully reputable mitsu dealership.
  • piper2004piper2004 Member Posts: 2
    Oh, I am also not a racer, so I will not be doing any type of mods to either car.
    I have been researching this and the 98 GS seems like it could be less problems but once again, please give me your opinions, both cars are one owners with the maint/repair records.
  • akaaka Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a used 2000 Eclipse GS 5spd with 37K miles on it for $9.3K. That is roughly the value of a Celica, same year and miles, which I would have preferred to buy if only I could find one.

I have heard varied experiences about the reliability of the Eclipse, and also the money is a bit too much for me, so I am wavering. I have two questions:

1. Is this a buy that is worth it. I am spending pretty much all the money I have on this car, my budged was actually about 8K. I need the car for 500 mile trips every fortnight for the next 2 years.

2. When I check the car, or get it checked by a mechanic, are there some specific things that I would do well to check?

Thanks in advance,
    AK
  • calveslcalvesl Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Eclipse RS. It only has 37,741 miles on it. About a month ago, when it was extremely hot outside (I live in Alabama), and I would start my car, the air conditioning, radio, and clock would not work. When I took it into the dealer, they knew exactly what was wrong with it the minute I said the air wouldn't work sometimes when I started it. They gave me a handout that explained a problem with the ignition switch that appears in hot or humid weather. Apparently, Mitsubishi is aware that this is a problem that occurs in 2002-2004 Eclipses and some other Mitsubishi models. However, they recommend that the dealers only repair it when a customer complains. They informed me that it was not covered by warranty, but fortunately I purchased the extended warranty and it did cover it, so they replaced my ignition switch. If I had not purchased the extended warranty, they would have charged me $282. I ended up taking it in four times to have this problem solved, because each time I got it to the dealership, they would say they ordered the wrong part, or needed another one. One time I asked what I would do it if didn't start. His advice was to try until it did. This past Monday, when I tried to go to work, it wouldn't even crank. The air, clock, and radio worked, but there wasn't even a sound when I turned the key. We tried to start it several times that day, but it would never start. However, the next day, when it wasn't nearly as humid, it did start. The dealership looked at it and refuses to believe that there is anything wrong with it. I can't believe I am having this much trouble with a car that only has 37K on it. I will never buy another Mitsubishi again.
  • 3geclipse223geclipse22 Member Posts: 2
    ah about 8.0 seconds
  • 3geclipse223geclipse22 Member Posts: 2
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    I would contact Mitsubishi corporate if I was you and explain your situation with them. They should be able to get this resolved for you.

By the way it sounds like you have a very poor service department that you go to.

My 2001 GT had a defective passenger side airbag replaced under warranty about 2 years ago. A sensor in the seat had failed and they replaced the whole back of the seat. Then a few months back, my airbag warning light came on again. This time they told me that the same sensor in the both the driver and passenger seat had failed and that both would need replacing - a potential cost of about $800 as the car is now out of warranty with 70k odd miles on it.

I thought it odd that both would fail simultaneously especially when one had failed before. I called Mitsubishi corporate and explained the sitsuation with them, that the car had been serviced by the same dealer thought out its history, and that I though that they had a potentially life threatening defect in the safety systems of the car. They looked up in their database, was able to verify the history of my car, the previous warranty replacement, and discussed it with the local regional sales manager.

The next day, they authorised my out of warranty replacement of both side airbags at no cost to me.

So call corporate and state your case!
  • need4speedneed4speed Member Posts: 7
    ok I need some help. I saw this 2000 Eclipse GS and it has about 49000 miles on it going for $9,777. It is equipped with a FWD, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Door Locks W/Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Aluminum/Alloy Wheels, Bucket Seats, Velour/Cloth Seats, Power Windows, Tinted Glass, Power Moonroof, Power Mirrors, Alarm System, Fog Lights, Power Door Locks, Remote Trunk Release, Tilt Steering Wheel, Leather Steering Wheel, Center Console, Intermittent Wipers, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper, Tachometer... Good buy or no?
  • rebuilt65rebuilt65 Member Posts: 1
    Too much
  • drivencrazydrivencrazy Member Posts: 3
    I somehow recently became a proud, yet perplexed owner of a very flashy, corner huggin sporty, black 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. It straddles the fence in stock goodies as well as after market gizmos. The bigger 4cyl, but not the turbo, A 5spd transmission, PWR door locks/wndws/sun roof, but has finger squisher seats. Standard Air bags etc., privacy glass, rear spoiler, AWESOME custom wheels, alarm system, back massaging sub is included within the premo after market sound (very loud) system, Exterior is glossy and free of bumps blemishes and bruises, the gray cloth interior is in excellent shape! Maintained well and runs and drives EXCELLENTLY with a measly 115,000 on it. So, Pretty nice car, right? Well, my eight year old,who weighs less than each of my three Rottweiler children, happen to be feeling a tad cramped. My question.... ANYONE WANT IT?! I need an SUV NOW!! Looking to sell or trade this and buy or get an SUV. Before my daughters next growth spurt!!!!!
  • drivencrazydrivencrazy Member Posts: 3
    What exactly, is "crankwalk"? Are ALL 95+ motors destined for it? I am hearing many conflicting "facts", from both avid supporters, and staunch opposers, regarding my 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse. My car runs and drives quiet, straight, and smooth with 115,000 miles under the hood. Thankfully, I've been on time with the L.O.F.s, as well as the tune-ups and recommended maintenances. The belts gave me a little worry right around 85/95,000 miles, and when I asked about belt maintenance, I was told of the imminent freezing, leaking, blowing, cracking, or knocking that is bound to happen. These are the things I was told my car most definately was being ailed by. They didnt know how it happened, how it was caused, or what parts were actually even affected by these nasty sounding words. I feel that I could have given just as good, if not a better, palm reading, fortune telling, if it aint broke-fix it till it is, plainly UNKNOWLEDGEABLE diagnosis of my cars illness. And, of course, my engine would never be the same without at least 400$-500$ of blinker fluid and wheel bearings.
    SO, IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ANY REAL ADVICE or any knowledgable opinions that dont start in a "Why dont you just let me handle that, little lady" type of tone, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!
    And I Ddo apologize for my own snappy attitude. I blame it on the weakness of my camels back. Never did take many straws to break it!!
    Only turbo engines have the potential of encountering the crankwalk. So you don't need to worry about it at all.