Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2005 and earlier

Comments

• weman27weman27 Member Posts: 7
    I have a chance to buy a '04 Eclipse GS for $7500, the catch is, it has had a
    'minor' accident the seller says it was all cosmetic damage, should I run a vehicle report any way or take him at his word. any advise would be appreciated.
  • efraser007efraser007 Member Posts: 2
    Its the battery indicator.
  • cashccashc Member Posts: 3
    a '04 model?? have you tried to find out the blue book price for this car?
    my 2000 RS model with 115000 miles on it with no engine trouble and regular maintenance has KBB private party value of $5000.
    so you really want to get a history report from an independent 3rd party on this '04 car before you step in.
    i have a 2000 RS and it has not yet had any major engine troubles at all; the clutch is the same; mostly highway driven. i have put in over 115K miles on it in the last 5 years.
    i want to know if anyone out there has horror stories of engine failure or has any idea on the expected lifetime of an eclipse.
    thanx.
    hi:
    it is releiving to know that there is someone out there with an even older RS than mine. i have a 2000 RS. it now has over 115K miles on it, mostly highway driven.
    lately i have been concerned with the life expectancy of my car. i have never had engine trouble. i think the most i have had to do is replace brake pads, rotors, and the battery.
    how many miles do you have on yours, and could you please share what you know about the old RS models? they do not make them any more, do they?
  • dayzee_tsdayzee_ts Member Posts: 1
    definately run a report - try www.carfax.com
  • meinhartstockmeinhartstock Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much! Save me some time.
  • 1000hpgsx1000hpgsx Member Posts: 3
    I cant find out where my fuel pump relay switch is at on my gsx. I have an rs as well and someone told me that its in the engine bay on the right hand side by the brake fluid, but it turns out thats right where it is on the rs but not on the gsx. Can anyone help me? thanks
    Hi, I am having the same problem. Could you tell me where the fuel pump relay switch is at? thanks and also if you figure out what the problem you are having now is, could you tell me that as well because I'll most likely be headed into the same thing, thanks
    1000hpGSX
    Hi, i am having way to many problems with this car... as is everyone, or else you wouldn't be here. Right now the car isn't running because I cant find my fuel pump relay switch, but I've already posted that. But before it wouldn't start it would idle really weird. It wouldn't happen all the time, but when it did, it would go from 1k up to 2k and back down. Sometimes it would even stay up at 2k for awhile (10-15sec.) and then come down, it would keep doing this until it cooled down. One more question, back to the newest problem (fuel pump), someone with the same problem said that they could put gas in their rail and it would run until it ran out of gas, well my fuel rail was full of gas and it wouldn't start at all. Could this be injector relays? injector fuses? thanks guys(and girls)
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..a fair statement that the new Eclipse and the Honda Accord EX V-6 6-MT Coupe have about the same performance envelope?

best, ez :)
  • osuftb25osuftb25 Member Posts: 1
    Just lost 1.8 L 4 cylinder engine. was wondering what engines can be installed without major changes to motor mounts, wireing, ect... Also what is the range of the year of the engines would be able to fit without hassle?

Thanks
    Will :cry: :sick: :sick:
  • spyderman5spyderman5 Member Posts: 1
    Please help!...
    All of the windows except for the drivers side will not roll up, unless I hold down the rag top close button (VERY STRANGE) any advice would be appreciated thank you.
  • 95eclipsegst95eclipsegst Member Posts: 4
    Bring it to a car repair shop, they have a special device that will connect to the car, and detect the problem its having from the computer
    lol, its not the battery, the battery looks like a car battery, not a cage... the light is a radiator... it is probobly low on coolant.
    It all depends on how you take care of it. If you are racing a car all the time, and flooring it all the time, than it will not last long at all, we had a car come in at 90k miles with a bad engine once. But if you baby your car, do regular checks and changes when necessary, it may last up to around 250k - 300k.
    Keep the engine that is in it. The stock engine has huge potential. What I am going to do with my gs-t is buy another stock engine and totally rebuild it, that way i can still drive the car. Than when i am done im going to swap it.
  • flava1flava1 Member Posts: 4
    hi all... i have a 97 mitsubishi eclipse GS... it's been running great up to 123,000 original engine... one owner is me... last year i replaced the a/c & power steering belt.... this year it was under warranty, but they said my water pump was leaking on it so it stripped... so i paid to have my water pump and timing belt done at the same time.. cha ching for the dealership... and then they called me saying that my Engine Oil Light comes on at idle... i didn't think it was something major..until i picked up my car and it wouldn't come off even after an oil change.. i brought it back to them... they looked at it couldnt find any problem, then charged me $100 to drop the oil pan and look... then still couldn't find a problem... suxs...

so.. here are the theories...

1. engine ready for replacement and may have a bad bearing?
    2. when i accelerate the oil pressure goes up and the light goes away.. so it's not the sensors...
    3. i heard mention of an oil pump in other messages?

i love my eclipse... in great condition, other than this oil light at idle... so now i'm very concerned it will die on me someday when sitting at idle... any suggestions?

Is there something i can do or purchase to really increase oil pressure while at idle?

Should I just sell my eclipse asap, because good likelihood of near future engine failure?

What could happen?

I was planning to keep my Eclipse for life until this light showed up!

Now, I've been heavily entertaining new vehicles....
  • timothyktimothyk Member Posts: 1
    i am getting a bad vibration when i put the brakes on so i wanted to get the rotors cut and found that i had abroken sway bar link replaced that and still had the vib,took the tire off again and found i was get alot of play when i move the tire 3 and 9 o'clock but not at 6 and12 what could be the problem?
  • dtab82dtab82 Member Posts: 1
    How do u replace the fuel filter of a 98 Eclipse non turbo 2.0L...
    I've located the fuel filter but there seems to be a black box above it that prevents me from getting into the fuel filter....
    what do i do?
  • dlukedluke Member Posts: 1
    96 Eclipse GS with 2.0 D.O.C. 4 cyl. non-turbo. After a few minutes of running the ignition cuts out and the engine dies. Left to cool for just a couple of minutes the engine re-starts fine and runs for a couple more minutes. I replaced the coil and the problem remains. I just replaced water pump and radiator, the engine does not appear to be overheating. Any suggestions?
  • fasteclipsefasteclipse Member Posts: 1
    The trans on my 96 Eclipse turbo has a bad gear. I pulled the trans out of the car but now I can't split the case. The shift rods won't clear the actuator arm. I've removed all the bolts and ball detents but I can't see how this thing is suppposed to come apart.
    Any help is well appreciated.
    Thanks
    lewenz@sbcglobal.net
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Hi I am new to Eclipse's ( own a '04 Galant) but I ran across this '98 Eclipse Spyder GS, with a 2.4L motor, from my understanding only the GS Spyder had this motor? not even the Non-Spyder GS had the 2.4L, so only ragtop GS's had the 2.4L?? is this a good engine? I have heard that if not already, that it is famous for oil burning....But I love the style of this Gen...Eclipse...and the ragtop :) it's hard getting info on this particular setup, most sites list the GS Spyder as having the regular non-Spyder and RS's 2.0L? is the 2.4L a Chrysler engine also,,,,any info would help,,,thanks Sean.....1998 Eclipse Spyder GS 66Kmiles...
  • rwcmjackrwcmjack Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have had my 2000 Eclipse in the shop for a replacement O2 filter, these jokes almost runied the enitre exhaust manifold by trying to tear the O2 sensor out. Anyway the engine light came on, I did a code check and now it says O2 sensor Bank 1 Sesnor 2 is bad - anyone know the location of this sensor?

Thanks

Mike
  • chattichatti Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying an 2002 eclipse GS.Please suggest if its a wise choice.I heard it had a dodge neon engine and causes a lot of problems with the engine.

please suggest.
  • frogsternowfrogsternow Member Posts: 2
    1996 eclipse, auto transmission, electric overdrive. The overdrive will not engage the light on the dash doesn't come on when the overdrive button is pushed. Not sure where to start on diagnosing. Looks to have a control module for the transmission mounted under the console.
  • 2000miteclipse2000miteclipse Member Posts: 3
    hey, i have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse GS with the same exact oil light problem. i went down to the dealership and talked to them and right away they thought it was an engine oil pressure switch. it only cost me like $25 bucks, and i attempted to put it in myself but i cant find the stupid thing... so it must be buried..

did u ever find out if that was your problem or what?
  • 2000miteclipse2000miteclipse Member Posts: 3
    Its the wierdest thing. my sun roof will only open up on the highway. it starts to open when on normal roads, but stops, but on the highway it works great.

another thing with my car is that the cd wont work at all... so i went to check the fuse. there wasnt one so i attempted to put one in but there are no metal prongs inside the fuse box to hold the fuse... very wierd. i know the previous owners had a system in the car, but what could have they done to and how do i make it work cause it sucks to have no tunes in a new car.
  • kenpckenpc Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 4 cylinder. Occasionally, there is a bad smell inside the car. It appears to happen when the engine is revved up more than normal. Any ideas?
  • penelopepipenelopepi Member Posts: 1
    Quote "Read my message how to overhaul idle speed valve and clean RGA valve."
    Hello,
    We have a 90 Mitsubishi Eclipse and the machanic said it needs a new IDLE SPEED CONTROL MOTOR. I've been checking the symptoms and wondered about the screw in the throttle, but my spouse says there are many screws, and doesn't know which to adjust. Could you tell me where the "how to" message you wrote is?
    If we find adjusting the screw doesn't help, then maybe we need what the mechanic stated, or do anyway and I am just trying to avoid buying one.
    I realize it would help if we bought a manual. We just recently purchased this vehicle for cheap and put money into it, and are needing to put more into it.
    I also thought previously that the mechanic adjusted the timing so it wouldn't die, but think that he actually adjusted the idling, which would be the screw?? So, it's already been done maybe.
    Thanks, Penny
  • socrboy2001socrboy2001 Member Posts: 3
    Go here: dsmtuners.com . Register and ask any question and someone really smart will help you out. I can answer a few of your questions. yes the spyder is the only eclipse to have the 2.4L engine but it only gains you 1 (yes one)HP over the 2.0L. non-spyder 2.0L has 140 HP and spyder w/ 2.4L has 141HP (both stock). So it really doesnt make much of a difference. And yes the engine is a chrysler motor made in illinois. I have a 98 GS with almost 90,000 miles and I have had no problems with it. I push it alot too. So your car should be good for quite some time. The engine is known for a few problems but I havent experienced any. One issue that isnt that big of a deal is when you push the car the oil dipstick will pop out and spray oil all over your engine which starts to smoke but its never happened to me and all you have to do is clean it up and put more oil in. But the car is awesome and good looking so enjoy. anymore questions feel free to ask me or anyone on dsmtuners.com will be happy to help too.

Ryan
  • socrboy2001socrboy2001 Member Posts: 3
    maybe the light just isnt working. If your car still shifts into 4 gear then you dont have a problem but if you cant get to fourth youll have to ask someone else.
  • barrystankybarrystanky Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase a 2000 Eclipse. It has 104K miles, and is still running great. Everything I have read to date seems to make me believe it is a great car, and I am getting a good deal. However, I read another forum that seemed to suggest tehre is a water accumulation problem from both doors, that can leave upt to an inch of water inside the car. THis would then lead to shorting of speakers since the stereo amp is underneath the passneger seat?

Also, if there are 2000 Eclipse RS users out there, can you tell me if there is any sort of a front grill. Currently, this car I'm looking at has an open cavity in lower front, under the hood, and I can look clean into the lower part of the radiator. Should there be some form of a grill in this area, or is this by design? It just seems odd to me that tehre owuld not be a grill there to help deflect pebbles being kicked up, or even to help prevent salt from being spryed into the engine area.
  • ares666ares666 Member Posts: 1
    I am a big fan of the mitsubishi eclipse except for the 2000-2004 which i think suck new model lookin good
  • john1977john1977 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1992 Eclipse with 180,000 miles and the thing performs absolutely great for a car of that miles :D , except it develops a tick in the valves every so often- are these valves adjustable? And do the GSs come with no power steering on some s? Thanks
  • chasengreenchasengreen Member Posts: 3
    I respect your oppenion,and I know that cars are man made and all differint...but I have owned 2 mitsubishis and they have been great cars,I have ran both to the ground first 94 eclipse 170,000,no problems second montero sport,132,000, so I would half to disagree. :)
  • seanf1seanf1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new owner of a 2005 Spyder Eclipse and I'm 300 miles from the nearest dealership. Since I've had my car it has got a high speed vibration that won't go away and it is not consistent. I took it back to the dealer after having the tires re balanced and rotated 3 times by tire people. They re balanced again and said the tires were out of round so goodyear has replaced all 4 tires and still have the vibration. It is getting very frustrating and the dealer just says to bring it back again. I'm wondering if a alignment would do anything? Any suggestions??
    Thanks
  • puhrincepuhrince Member Posts: 8
    To all you Eclipse owners - whats the ideal mileage to replace a timing belt? I guess it should be similar to other cars, but was curious if Eclipse owners replaced it around a particular mileage..? Mine is a 2001 model, with 61K on it...the manual suggests to do it by 60K - is that the best rule of thumb?
  • dcovic05dcovic05 Member Posts: 6
    Im looking at a 95 eclipse rs and I was wondering if anyone knew of an extremely successful engine swap and if so what is it? Im looking for anything, any kinda ideas or hunches. Appreciate it.
  • gsxleavnuheatdgsxleavnuheatd Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 98 Eclipse stock turbo nothing done to it
    had to replace clutch had few problems, in the process of putting navigation w/backup camera in it.
    But I was thinking about getting another one for street mods and such (I'm starting a custom car shop)and selling my other car, but I went to look at one and the guy swore up and down it's an eclipse it was actually a talon with eclipse rear clip and front clip, and he wanted 8K for it I talked him down a little but how does the Talon "converted" to an Eclipse effect the value of the car, if I were to buy it or sell??
  • hardwaredudehardwaredude Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I have a 2000 Eclipse V6. I would like to know how amny milse can we go before changing the timing belt. Will it last for atleast 90 K miles ?
  • beneclipsebeneclipse Member Posts: 3
    idle adjustment 2000 mitsubishi eclipse I have 75K miles on my 4cylinder eclipse and I replaced the spark plugs and wires and it idles really slowly and if you turn on the ac in stalls. The dealer plugged it in and said no 'codes' appear at all and nothing is wrong. How can I get it to idle faster?
  • tensecsorless8tensecsorless8 Member Posts: 2
    Theres only one thing that i can think of that would cause the problem that would cause that. One of your new wires could be grounding out. or if you put on like 9.3 or 10 mm wires i could have to much resistance for a low idle. If that isnt the case (this is my first eclipse i have but on hondas) there is a screw with a spring on it located on the side of the trottle body if you turn it in about a quarter or a half turn . if that doesnt work let me know and i will check with a couple of my associates.
  • tensecsorless8tensecsorless8 Member Posts: 2
    i recently aquired a a 1996 rs i have had it for about 3 weeks i have made a few mods (intake, chip, short shifter, shift knob, and painted some interior,) but now im in a quandry do i want to put exhaust or wheels on my car first. keep in mind i am also paying my way theough college and have like no money
  • blankspyderblankspyder Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 spyder GS and I've had it for a couple of weeks. The other night, my roomate opened the door and the handle came off in his hand. Also it burns oil more than most cars i've owned. Is this common? and what would be the best way to fix the door.
  • blankspyderblankspyder Member Posts: 2
    No matter what anyone at the dealership tells you, keep pushing to talk to the next person up. Something can be done for you. I'm certified sales for pontiac/gmc and stuff can be done if you raise enough hell

good luck
  • divenjaydivenjay Member Posts: 1
    hello all new here and kind of new to the import world spent all my time on the big american cars. now i got myself i nice little 94 eclipse gs runs great and i love it.. i guess it was too much car for someone cause of the bodywork i am into on the whole pass side :sick: lol... got a question if anone can help i have done all types of bodywork except what i need to do now i got to replace the windshield on it i have another windshield already is it really as easy as it looks?? i know how to remove the old one but is it cleaning up where the old one was putting down new sealant placeing the new one in tapeing it down and reinstalling the outside trim am i missing anything ??? any info would be greatfull and i dont have comp on the car so thats why i didnt have it done and i like to do all my own work anyway weather repair or aftermarket installs......
  • kraftikatkraftikat Member Posts: 1
    put a new trany in and now it won't start and he can't remember if he unhooked the battery correctly. Stumped! Is there a fuse between the battery and the MFI? :confuse:
  • mikeyb78mikeyb78 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if there would be any negative effects if I install new chrome headers and downpipe on my 1998 eclipse without the heat shields.
  • mikeyb78mikeyb78 Member Posts: 2
    me again...also...anyone have any suggestions on how to get the bolts loose that connect the down pipe to the cat converter...sprayed all kinds of stuff to get the rust off and let it sit and still wont budge...trying to do it without breaking the bolt any suggestions would be helpful