Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Camaro 2dr (Hatchbacks)

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback. Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks Message Board

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    here's information from Edmunds' new vehicle guide: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback.

Happy motoring!

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• 49erfan149erfan1 Member Posts: 2
    AM considering purchasing a new Camaro (I owned a '94 and traded it in when we had children). Want to know owner experiences with the 2000 and 2001 model. I know that 02 will be the last model but still strongly considering (price being a major incentive). Loved my '94 (although it had transmission problems) and since I can't afford a 'Vette or the insurance for a Z28 thought this might be a good sporty alternative. Still can't understand why this car sold far less than the Mustang which had just as many or more reliability issues and was an inferior car. Any thoughts on the lastest models? My alternatives are far different, Accord, Grand Prix, Stratur R/T, and used Maxima or Camry Solara.
  • 49erfan149erfan1 Member Posts: 2
    And before anyone says why are you buying a Camaro when you have kids, my wife has a minvan so there's already a car with room in the family.
  • hll7575hll7575 Member Posts: 13
    Mark,

Being 43, and acting impulsively, I just bought a camaro V6 coup with T top yesterday (March 25, 2001). I have been looking for replacement car for my '93 Legacy Wgn (still driving greatly with 110K). I was thinking mostly a small SUV but could not give up the opportunity of owning my first sports car.

Then came Sunday as I went out for some gardening stuff and wondered by local dealers. To be honest, GM's cars are never my favorite and I had a lemon Citation when I was a graduate student. How time have changed! I also have a minivan, so my justification for a Camaro is similar to yours.

I did not need an SS or Z28 for extra power. I just need a decent, affordable sports car which could also dupped as a pseudo convertible. The V6 T top fits the bill. This particular model also has all the factory equipped goodies (mooson stereo, ASR, ABS, Auto, AC, power everthing, 16" aluminum wheels, anti-theft, keyless, fog lights, night light group...etc. for a total $20,000 (all inclusive: destination, tax, tags, etc.). It got 200 HP which is adequate for my driving habit.

The only thing I am still checking is the reliability. I am a good driver and do not normally abuse cars so I hope this Camaro could accompany me for a long time.

Harry
  • hll7575hll7575 Member Posts: 13
    My decision to buy also relied on two more several more factors. First, the gas mileage is great for a sports car this size and power. 19/29 mpg and uses regular unleaded. My driving to work has 50% on freeways so I count on getting a good gas mileage in 23-24. The regular unleaded is also a plus for save some fuel cost in the long run. Finally, this car seems to be easy to maintain and I essentially have nothing to worry about before 50,000 miles. Hope that's the case.

Harry
  • emmett1emmett1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi all...just a quick note about my new Camaro. I recently purchased a 2001 Camaro....metallic Navy Blue with tan leather. T-tops, Monsoon CD,basically every option you can get on a Camaro. I only have 800 miles on it so far, and while I usually avoid American cars I have to say I LOVE this car. It's quick enough for me and the t tops were a big selling point. I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the theft and security issues of a convertible, but KNEW I wanted open air and had few t top options as choices go. Will keep you posted, but so far, love the car. Happy spring and pop those tops baby!
  • emmett1emmett1 Member Posts: 20
    Now I think I know why they're discontinuing these cars....nobody buying them and nobody writing about them either. Oh well, I love mine....and my ears still ring from the Monsoon, even with the tops off.....gotta love it.
  • msak007msak007 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody. I don't own a Camaro (yet) but I'm considering buying a 1989 Camaro RS coupe with t-tops. it has 117000 miles on it but it's in the price range I was looking at spending (2500) and it looks cool. I might go check it out next week to see if it's in good shape and take it to my mechanic and have him check it out. I was just wondering if there is anything in particular I should pay attention to/any problems I should be aware of. I live in Ohio, so some people were telling me that a Camaro is not "practical" here because of the snow we get (and the potholes that result). They are saying it is too low to the ground. Anybody have any problems with this? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • leonardo5leonardo5 Member Posts: 2
    I BOUGHT A NEW CAMARO COPUE IN 1994. I STILL HAVE, AND I STILL LOVE IT. I HAVE MINOR PROBLEMS WITH THE A.C. BUT THEY FIXED BACK IN 1996. IT IS AGREAT CAR, AND I AM GETTING 28 MILES PER GALLONS ON THE HIGHWAY, EXCELLENT FOR THE SIZE OF THE CAR . THE ENGINE IS 3.4 WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Thanks for sharing your Camaro ownership experience with us. Great news..., not to mention 28 mpg is great gas mileage; something I'm sure you appreciate now that gas costs are up.

Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchback/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • chandy90chandy90 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone ever fixed the drivers side mirror for a 96 camaro. mine broke at the car wash and i have to replace the whole assembly. the part is only available at the dealership and they are charging me 70 bucks for labor. is it easy enough to fix?
    suggestions would be welcome. i dont want to rip the whole thing apart and find out that it is really hard to do.

thanks,

chandy
  • rallisons1rallisons1 Member Posts: 1
    Has any one else experienced problems with squeaky/clunky suspension on their 94 Camaro? I am wondering if there was a known problem in this regard with the 94 model? I have 90,000 miles on the car and live in AZ so I can only assume this is due to this. I have experienced this problem though since 50K miles.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I had a 88 camaro V8, t-tops etc. for 11 years. From my experience the car was put together by kids on crack. I must have replaced everything in the car, new paint, engine and everything around it (alternator, rad, every pump etc.) not to mention the huge varying gaps between the fenders, doors and hood. The car was extremely sharp looking but thats it.
  • sarabrookesarabrooke Member Posts: 1
    I bought a camaro last August, 2000, it is a 2-door coupe with everything on it, and have had a great time!!! It is definitely a fun car, and it has always been my dream car. Haven't had many problems with it at all. I have had to replace light bulbs and that is all(front parking light,and back brake light). It has been a great car, and very flashy!!! Everyone loves it and wants to drive it!
This discussion has been closed.