Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Best Service Facilities

Comments

• hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
    Lookin for service in all the wrong places..
  • lovable90lovable90 Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know who has a good Subie service department in Minneapolis/St. Paul? I used to go to White Bear Subaru when I had one of those idiosyncratic "Subaru only" problems that my mechanic could not diagnose (and my mechanic is really good!), but I don't work out in the East Metro anymore and it's a real super hike from where I live and work now (South Minneapolis & Hopkins/Minnetonka, respectively).

ND
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I had a great experience when I used to live in the Twin Cities at Morries in Wayzata. Used to drive from Eagan all the way there!
    There used to be a dealer in Bloomington too. Never used their Subaru shop but their Acura side was good.
  • bobo39bobo39 Member Posts: 11
    Try Morries, they are in both Minneotonka and Brooklyn Park (this is where I bought mine through their fleet manager).

I'm currently working with the Booklyn Park shop to cure a "Check Engine" light problem and cassette door not being able to open. They are going to replace the stereo on Friday and try to fix the light coming on problem while they are at it.

Bring something good to read, because the waiting are has nothing but a tv and auto brochures.

- Bobo39
  • lovable90lovable90 Member Posts: 27
    Looks like two votes for Morries! I'll try them. Thanks bobo39 and cptplt.
  • kkolozekkoloze Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for someone in the Dallas area to work on my 1988 GL10? Turbo Station Wagon. Two specific items are the transmission and the air conditioning. This is an awesome car! None of the 3 Subaru dealers are anywhere close to me and I doubt they would want to mess with an '88. Any suggestions?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The dealer will gladly accept your money, I'm sure. Sorry I don't know Dallas much at all.

-juice
  • subiownersubiowner Member Posts: 5
    Any experiences with these dealers in the North of Boston Area?
    Any help would be apreciated
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I believe we have a Texan or two here. If they're not around try the Regional Forums of the i-club at http://i-club.com/forums/

They have a great search function there.

The same applies for MA.

Dennis

• anthony_chenganthony_cheng Member Posts: 12
    I went to Stevens Creek Subaru (San Jose, CA) for a clicking noise around the front passenger-side tire.

One thing that I noticed was the lack of communication between the service advisor and the mechanic.

The mechanic seemed to know what he was doing. He suspected that the noise was due to a possibility that the axle nut was torqued while the vehicle was lifted.

So, he retorqued the axle nut and tested it. I was with him. He had another mechanic do the driving. The clicking noise was still there, but it did not do it as often, so I was content at this point.

After I left, I had lunch and ran a few errands.
    At a parking lot, I decided to test the car. The clicking noise was back and occuring continuously! So, I took it back, but I had to schedule an appointment this time.

What a drag. At this point, Stevens Creek does not seem that bad...
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Otto's Westboro Subaru....absolutely amazing service. I suspect, that in part, the good service is due to the fact that they also sell BMW and Landrover, and therefore, must maintain a high quality of service. Anyway, whatever the reason, I am extremely happy.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Stevens Creek has gone through a lot of changes. Back in '98 they were the pits. Awful service. Almost guaranteed that they would return your vehicle with the "it's normal" or "couldn't duplicate" comment.

In '99 they made an effort to improve and, they did. Somewhere during '00 they combined their Isuzu/Hyundai service teams with Subaru and service tanked. That's about when I stopped going to them.

For better service try Carlsen in Redwood City. They've recently hired a guy from a Lexus dealership to turn it around. They've gone from average to pretty good.

The best service is in Santa Cruz. It's a haul, but their team is superb. Excellent communication between the staff and they treat you right. Even SOA recommends them.

Ken
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    with the exception that on some services they're kind of pricey. They offer 15K service for $239, but in the Livermore Subaru I've got my 15K service for $99. But for repair issues definitely go to Santa Cruz.
  • shortlidgeshortlidge Member Posts: 4
    Hello we have a '98 Subaru Legacy L wagon 2.2 with auto. We would like to know if anyone in the group has had good experience with a Independent Subaru Shop in the Brewster, New York / Danbury, Conn / Westchester area. Thank you for all your input. shortlid@purdue.edu
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I would also like to know of one. Colonial Subaru in Danbury, where I purchased my car, seems OK, but they only have done oil changes so far so I can't recommend them yet. How about Smith-Cairns Subaru in Brewster (although they are not independent)?

Greg
    Do not, I repeat, do not take your Subaru to either of these dealer-stealers!!! Colonial Subaru in Danbury has charged us for work that was suppose to be covered under warranty, and Smith-Cairns in Brewster is even WORSE!!! They turned my mother away after a tire shop had striped TWO studs on her '98 Legacy Wagon!! They said they were booked up and could not get to it, they would not even let her leave it with them and they were VERY RUDE TO MY MOTHER!! HAVING TWO STUDS UNUSABLE ON A FOUR STUD SYSTEM IS VERY DANGEROUS!!! The car was even under bumper to bumper warranty!! I reported both dealers to SOA for there clear disregard for a customers safety!!
    The only dealer we will even think about takeing the car to is Wilton Subaru in Wilton, CT It is a 40 min. drive for us but well worth not giving the business to those two A#$%&* dealerships!! I think it is pretty obvious now why we want to find a Independent shop that is closer, and hopefully more reasonable in price.
    I have only had oil changes and new rotors put on. They did overfill my oil. I wasn't sure what to think about them, but, plan on doing most of my own work. The car did have an abnormally high number of little things wrong when I picked it up new - things I picked up right away. All fixed quickly without any problems or push offs. I have not "tested them" though. What about Curry Subaru?

Greg
    I have heard of Curry Subaru but I am not sure where they are. Have you had a any experience with a place called Metric Motors, I think it is a all import repair shop in Conneticut some where?
    Check the Tri-State Forum on i-club.com.
    IIRC, Metric was one of the more recommended places. You can do a search on that forum for dealers.

Dennis
    I appreciate the help! but searching this group is HARD!!
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Service advisors in my opinion are the absolute worst thing about dealers service departments.

They know little or nothing about the mechanics of vehicles and are usually the cause of all the miscommunication between customer and mechanic if you were allowed to address the mechanic directly it is my guess the problems would get sorted first time around.

Advisors are just sales people with a glorified title.

Cheers Pat.
    Sorry, I haven't checked this forum in a while. Curry is in Yorktown (I believe on 318 just West of the Taconic). Don't know much about them other than I was not impressed with the sales guy we had when looking. However, I think it was just the person we got and not very indicative of the dealership. Curry also has many other brands and Subaru shares space with their (can I say it) Ford dealership.

I guess the trick is to find an advisor who used to be a real mechanic.

Greg
  • 1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    You must have mixed up your reply to someone else...I had posted abount my childhood summers in Mahopac...btw, the name of the ice cream parlor was Erickson's...they also had penny candy; my favorite was these really long licorice shoestrings in strawberry and chocolate..another thing I remember is the Firemen's Fair every year at the firehouse on Rt 6.
  • oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    Hi,

I have been dealing with Troncolli Subaru for service needs and Ed Voyles for parts needs since I bought my Bean in March of this year. I have mixed feelings about Troncolli's service...but have nothing to compare it to since I haven't tried any of the other locations. I am thinking about trying Classic Subaru in Sandy Springs.

Anyone have any input?
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I use Conley Subaru in Decatur. Since I've got a 2001 I've not had much occasion to go there but thus far they seem competent enough (they have two Subaru Certified Master Mechanics on staff). My only complaint would be that their service isn't the speediest. I.e. if they tell you a repair is going to take 45 minutes, it's more likely to take twice that long. But then that seems to be true regardless of where you go.

-Frank P.
  • shortlidshortlid Member Posts: 50
    DON"T go to Sandy Springs Toyota!!! They stole $1,000 for a girl I know and even with a rational argument was not able to get it back!! If you guys find any good independent import repair shops in the ATL area PLEASE let me know!! Thanks
  • d0ugd0ug Member Posts: 7
    Since I have never owned a Subaru vehicle I am concerned about finding a good dealer and service facility in my area. Northern Illinois or eastern Iowa. I am interested in the Forester and I am waiting to see the 2003 model. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • stronso97stronso97 Member Posts: 2
    I just moved to NYC and I was wondering if anyone could give me a referral for a place here in NY?

I enjoyed reading all these posts ... BTW where is there a price list for the cost of the scheduled services? I see people referring to this in their posts so I would like to get this b/c I think I got shafted on my last service (30K).

Thanks all
    Your best bet is to drive far away from the city.
    It depends where you are. I highly recommend Flemington Subaru in NJ. I have about 4 dealers within 20 minutes of me but I choose the 35 minute drive to Flemington.
    Much better prices, techs and attitude. They have a few customers from NYC here on this forum.

Each dealer sets their own cost. Flemington was over $100 cheaper on the major services than my previous dealer.

-Dennis
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Manfredi Subaru in SI or Brooklyn or any other subie dealer in the city limits. Flemington is worth the drive.

-mike
    I am from NY WHERE IN NYC are you if in the north side some of the burbs have good places if in the south NJ might be the bet, if east LI??
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I have to agree with Dennis and Mike with recommending Flemington. They are definitely worth the trip. You can even make a day of it by doing some shopping out there with your significant other.

Mark
    BTW, the yellow WRX is gone. They sold it to a dealer that wanted it. I test drove a silver one when I was there last Saturday. After all, I need to test drive all of the colors. :-)
  • stronso97stronso97 Member Posts: 2
    I had just moved here a couple of days ago and I found a dealer who could get me in for the 30k service. I was charged $350 for the service. I did not like the attitude there (Beltway Subaru). I had thought about Manfredi but didn't go there. I will check out Flemington for sure ....thanks for all the help and info.
    There are bunch of us from NYC. Hypov from Brooklyn, Bat161 and myself from Staten Island. manfredi is great to buy, just bad service.

-mike
  • sing4mesing4me Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

Any recommendations for independent Subaru service in the Burlington VT area? I just moved here. The local dealer does adequate work but is never on time. In November I left the car all day for an oil change and at 5 pm it "wasn't ready", yesterday I left it overnight and at 4pm they called to say they were just starting on the car. I need a repair facility that values my time as well as my money ...

Thanks, all.

Elizabeth
  • zaneczanec Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a mechanic they would recommend in Southern California (I'm in Pasadena in particular). My 1990 Legacy just drove the length of Baja and back, and is in need of some tender loving care.
    Burlington is gorgeous and VT even better! Subaru's are so popular up there that the dealers are usually over whelmed. I would just ask any of the MANY older Subaru owners a good local independent mechanic they take it to for service. I can tell you to stay away from K??dly in Rutland, VT they sue to be a Ford dealer then switched then switched back they are con-artists.
    Hey Sing4me

Try this web site out it is NE club for Suabru's they WILL know!

http://www.i-club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=18

Anyone here ever heard of or had any experience at any of these shops??

All Japanese Repair
    79 Triangle St
    Danbury, CT 06810
    (203) 791-1998

Axel's Foreign Auto Parts
    78 North St
    Danbury, CT 06810
    (203) 797-0490

Nico's Foreign Car Repair
    1285 High Ridge Rd
    Stamford, CT 0690
    (203) 323-4500
  • nickdanickda Member Posts: 1
    Like others I have noticed the Lake City Way shop but had heard third hand of bad experiences. One other I have seen is on Ballinger just east of I-5. My main experience with Carter was a 15k servicing and replace check engine module. They gave me a bad loaner (lost 3 hours of pay) and way over charged for simple checkup and oil change-- $280. Others I talk to in our area are lazy--they go to Carter. Carter is probably going to get worse with University dropping Subaru. I know Andy's at 80 and Aurora is ok but has banker's hours.
    One seems to see 20 percent of vehicles in North Seattle to be our relatives. Wonder where they all go?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    stronso97 Jan 6, 2002 11:43am

I know I'm a l'il late
    I take my '98 OB to Lichtenberg Subaru in Queens.

Lichtenberg
    153-26 Hillside Avenue,
    Jamaica, NY 11432
    Tel: 718 291 5855

As of to date, I'm very satisfied with the service they've provided compared to the service I got in Brooklyn.

Welcome to NYC.

-Dave
  • seamus3seamus3 Member Posts: 98
    i've been to both carter and the place on lake city. neither one was good at all. i moved up from olympia awhile ago. i used to take my car to the local shop down there. they gave really good service, the work was excellent, and they were never over priced. being a college student i don't have tons of money to burn. when i needed to do my 60k stuff they helped me out on the price, the timing chain was high in labor cost. i have yet to find even a GOOD place to have work done on my baby. i have heard good things about andy's though.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Hi from Hopewell Jnct / Town of Beekman! I had good luck with the Ford side of Colonial, but have not tried the Subi side. nygreg is down in your neck of the woods and may be able to comment on the shops you listed.

BTW, I once got a quote for work from Metric. They may do good work, but the first meeting was a real turnoff. Ever go there?

I traded in my '93 Corolla wagon on the '02 OBW at Wappingers (formerly Greer) Subaru.

Steve
    Thanks for the info, we had gone to Colonial ONCE when the car was under warranty and they WANTED charged my mother for work that was covered at under the warranty at Subaru of Wilton!! That turned me off big time! Beekman is a VERY nice area!
    I have never been to metric but I have heard they do good work. What was such a turn off?? that is amazing you had a '93 Corolla Wagon our OTHER car is a white with blue interior 1993 Toyota Corolla DX Wagon in manual!!! I bought it from BREWSTER FORD of all places??
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Bought the '93 Corolla DX (Teal exterior, grey interior, PW/PL/Cruise/ABS) new at Geiss in Peekskill. Reliability was great until Spring '01 when everything seemed to fail all at once (ABS died, front rotors froze, gas tank, lines & braces rotted out, radiator fins turned to dust, & the list goes on. Most of it was road salt related. Time to part company.

Metric Motors: This was around 1995 - Brought my other car ('90 Toyota Camry LE-v6 wagon) in for a quote on a timing belt. They insisted on replacing everything - tensioner, waterpump, etc. to the tune of about $600. I finally went to Toyota of Newburg on a suggestion of a fellow IBM'er. Gave them permission to do what was necessary. Think the bill was about $150 as they said all other parts looked and felt fine.

Mailing address is Hopewell, but live in Beekman Hamlet. Used to have a Poughquag mailing address but moved just far enough to be forced to change post offices.

Steve
    No offense but I'd get all those "other" items done when getting the timing belt done. Toyota of Newburg did you a dis-service by not replacing them, since they'd whack you labor every time one of those other components broke since you have to essentially do the timing belt each time!

-mike
  • seamus3seamus3 Member Posts: 98
    when i had my timing belt done the place i was going to told me up front that the only way they could do the timing belt was if i also did the water pump tensioner belt and thermostat together. i checked a couple of other places and they suggested the same thing. i got a break on the labor, they gave me a package deal for doing it all at once. very good place to take your car, brazel's automotive in olympia, for those of you in the area. the total cost same out to about $450. i thought it was a pretty good deal.
  • ferretboy1ferretboy1 Member Posts: 3
    Zanec, I live in Monrovia and just around the corner from ASSAEL is a place called Subie Specialties. The owner is Steve and he's a great guy, does very clean work and is very knowledgeable. They have gained a very good reputation with the So.Cal chapter of I-Club (North American Impreza Owners Club) give them a call and tell them Benson sent ya. btw where in Pasadena are ya? I have a black Forester with tinted windows pink stars badge and ski racks on (winter)
    ~ferretboy
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
This discussion has been closed.