Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Best Service Facilities

123457»

Comments

• djettadjetta Member Posts: 22
    I'm a new Subie owner and am looking for a good repair shop on Long Island (I live in Nassau County). Can anyone help?? Thanks.
  • forester05fanforester05fan Member Posts: 2
    I need to take my 2005 Subaru Forester in for a belated 15K mi service. And god help me, I think I'm just the demographic that always gets overcharged by auto service places in those Investigative Reporting segments on late-night news.

Are they the type who would try to sell me lots of unnecessary things in addition to what I know is required in the manual? Would they give me total attitude if I remind them of what's in the manual and only want that done? Thanks.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    I don't know how much padding a dealer could possibly do on a 15K service. There are two great Subaru service facilities "near" you (Flemington or Town Motors in Englewood), but if I were in your shoes, I'd try Morristown and see how you like it. You can perfectly upfront going in -- I just want the owner's-manual-prescribed 15K service, my tires rotated, and that's it.

I think that while Subaru's dealership network is lacking on the sales side, the service side is pretty strong. At least in the New York City area.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Some background: I do my own oil changes and tire rotations, so my Subies have only seen their service bay when something is not right or a major maintenance (30k coolant and tranny fluid change, etc.).

Now the rest of the story: I went in early last month to have a whiny noise checked out on my F-XT. I was thinking heat shield or something vibrating (check out the problem thread or the F-XT thread). But, they couldn't really hear it well enough and diagnosed it as mostly "normal" power steering pump noise. I was not happy with that, it wasn't an easy noise to hear particularly, but I knew something wasn't right. The service call was free, but I had to pay for a loaner vehicle.

So, I just decided to live with it, hoping that it would eventually get louder. A week or so later, the dealership calls to do their service survey, to which I politely told the caller that I wasn't happy, nothing was fixed.

A couple days later, the service manager calls me and asks if he could stop by. He stops by, agrees that there is something not right. Going off of the techs diagnosis, he special orders a power steering pump.

One week later (Tuesday of this week), he calls me back, wants to personally take my car in (he lives a few blocks from us). He leaves his personal car (an '00 Sienna) for me. Calls me yesterday, the actual problem is the idler pulley just next to the power steering pump. Part came in today and he brought my XT back tonight.

While the tech may have misdiagnosed the issue or not treated it seriously, the service manager stepped up.

-Brian
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Glad to hear it and thanks for the summary.

-juice
  • papaya1040papaya1040 Member Posts: 26
    I have oil change at this dealer every 5k, mechanics are great, but the service writer don't even know there is difference between a turbo and non-turbo oil filter, waiting room is still the same as it was 20 years ago.

Brian, was it Joe who took care of you or the dept manager? I'll still go back for future services, bought my 05 FXT there, got a good price, and 5 min from where I live. Seems they charge the most(oil change etc.) among other import dealers in Milwaukee.

Pete
    It was the dept manager who lives near me and the one who called me and went the extra mile. I agree the service writers could be more helpful and knowledgeable.

While Racine is about 15-20 minutes away for me, I also have been to Liberty Auto City in Libertyville with my prior Subie, their service is good as well, and the writers have seemed more technical, especially with an issue I had with our Mazda last year.

-Brian
  • bklynfrsterbklynfrster Member Posts: 1
    It's FIVE years later and this was my experience going to the New York, Brooklyn, Beltway, Cropsey Ave Subaru dealers for service. My battery had died and the lights and radio were flashing. Didn't know how to turn it off.

Pull into driveway, turn off engine and get out of car. Man walks over to me, does not introduce myself and asks for the key. I said, "I want to talk to a mechanic." He said, "We'll take your car around back and let you know." I said, "No, I just want to stop this stupid flashing and get a copy of some keys." He said, "You'll have to leave it here." I said, "No way! This has gotta be really simple." He said, "You can't leave your car here." I said, "Fine. Where do I get copies of my keys?" He said, "There, in the shop." It took the shop 20 minutes to make some copies of my keys. 1998 Forester keys. How hard could it be?! As I was waiting one of the managers said, "Your car is too old, go get a new Forester." I said, "I love my Forester, it's going to last over another 100k, and you're annoying." I had to argue with them to give me my car back, and then convince someone to actually TRY the keys with me to make sure they worked.

I would NEVER, EVER return to Beltway. They were rude, abrasive, and gave poor service. I do really need an oil change, tho. And could use a tune-up :)

1998 Forester L : 160,000 miles

-judd maltin
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    Please help me Subaru Crew readers...

I'm wondering if I should renew AAA. I have a 8 month old 2007 Tribeca and I wasn't certain if Subaru offers towing or any roadside assistance that would make AAA just another added expense. My husband's car has this service so we don't need AAA for him either.

Thanks so much! I really didn't know where to post this. :confuse:
    From http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?from=topNav

Towing
    SOA will pay the cost of having your car towed to the nearest Authorized SUBARU Dealer if it cannot be driven due to a defect covered by these warranties

Roadside assistance is provided via the Added Security (optional) packages http://www.subaru.com/owners/addedsecurity/index.jsp?id=ADDED_SECURITY_SUBARU_PL- ANS

-Brian
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    The one advantage to having AAA, or at least the Plus, is you can be towed up to 100 miles to any destination.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Mark
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Another advantage to AAA is that is works for ANY car that the subscriber happens to be in, even if they don't own that car. My daughter was out with a friend recently, and the friend's car died. Altough she didn't have AAA, my daughter did, and was able to use it to get her friend's car towed. A vehicle-specific roadside assistance program applies only to the specific vehicle it came with.

Len
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We got a Subaru Gold warranty, and that includes roadside assistance for the full 7 years of our plan.

That plus a GPS, I no longer have a need for AAA.
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    I bought my '08 OXT at Austin Subaru, and have been back twice for minor stuff - one being a defective tire, which they replaced even thought tires carry their own warranty. So far (while in warranty) they've been very good.

For after-warranty, I've been taking our older cars to Moonlight Automotive in Kyle. Gillbert Maldonado runs a one-man shop, and has maybe 15-20 years (I forget what he said) with a Subie dealer in New Orleans. He just swapped out a CV joint and axle on my son's '98 Outback Sport for $150 total - parts and labor(!). He has done several other things for us and has always been conscientious, honest, and inexpensive. Good guy!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Lithia Subaru in Oregon City, OR
    Royal Moore Subaru in Hillsboro, OR

Both straightforward, no surprises, competent work, fair pricing.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Eddie Accardi, Pompano Beach Florida....long story, don't ask me.
This discussion has been closed.