Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Hoo, boy! I switched to my summer wheel/tire setup this last Friday and gave the LSD a healthy workout (finally). All I can say is, "YEAH!"

For any Prelude driver who's interested in more than stoplight racing (although it does give a much smoother launch), this is one killer mod.
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    I just read through some website and the consumers rated Prelude 9.8 out of 10 in reliability. For comparasion, most Toyota cars get somewhere around 9.0 and the Lexus SC300 get 9.6.

So, does everyone agree on that so far that Prelude is very, very reliable?
    But keep in mind the first rule of polling: how large is the sampled group?

There are many more Toyota owners out there than Prelude owners, allowing for more variation within the Toyota group. Far fewer poll respondants will have replied about Prelude reliability, giving those responses greater statistical weight.

Personally, I've had the car since 10/15/01 and just hit 32K miles without a problem.
  • jfunkjfunk Member Posts: 25
    I'm pushing 42K in my '97 type SH and haven't had a lick of trouble. Lately I have been hearing some creaking noises when turning and going over bumps at low speeds, I'm wondering if its the CV joints/boots? But otherwise the car has performed exemplary, and I drive it pretty hard. Considering it is a performance oriented vehicle, and assuming most owners drive it with authority too, I think the reliability is outstanding.
    It seems to me is the CV boots. I would suggest check it ASAP. Otherwise, if you wait, it might cost you much more (by replacing the axle).

You don't drive much, jfunk, do you? I am amazed that you only have 42K on a 97. I got 46K on a '99 already without a single problem (other than the sunroof rattle, fixed by the dealer @ 9K, after that, everything is perfect).

Understand that there are farely small group of Prelude owners, and that is another reason the prelude is reliable. Because there won't be so many variable in production, thus make it more reliable in general. (With mass production, you will get some bad ones - at least from my personal experiences).
    Thanks for the feedback, I suspected it was the CV boots and will look into getting them changed soon, that is unless I can unload the car first. As for not driving much, I guess I don't do many road trips, with the exception of going over 800 miles round trip to pick up the lude. It actually had only 21,500 on the odometer when I picked it up at a Ford dealership in Peoria(IL) about a year and a half ago. And they let it go for only $16,900??? I still think that they thought it was a lowered Civic or something, they probably would have needed a change of underwear if they knew the car retailed for nearly $26G.
    Wow, that is a good deal for an SH at that time.

What do you mean by unload your car? you are trying to sell it? Even you want to sell it, it would still be a good idea to fix it first. Most guys/gals who want a Prelude knows cars more or less. So, when the sound is heard, they will knock your price by $6-800 on the bat! (At lease I will do that). Also, I bet your tire is due. It would be a hard sale for a '97 with so many things need to be changed (not that they are broke, but it make the buyer feels bad of it thus unwilling to pay a fair price for it.)

But, anyway, good luck.
    What was the trouble you had with your sunroof? Once in a great while, mine makes some creaking/clunking noises, but it happens so infrequently that I can't get worried about it.
    Well, I think the sunroof just have some rattle on mine back in '99. The dealer fixed it by apply some tape. It is a 1/2 hour job and after that, the noise is gone. Although there is some other rattles occasionally coming from the passenger door, but that is minor and only occurs when the road is really bumpy.

I might just keep the Lude until it die - Of course I will get another car really soon while keeping the Lude - baby is on the way, so got to have another car. I was originally plan to trade in the Lude and get a Viper, but now, everything just changed.
  • mjsturg1mjsturg1 Member Posts: 6
    My friend has a 98 honda prelude sportshift and the check engine light comes on periodically and after several trips to the dealer and replacing 2 of the fuel injectors the light still comes on and at times the car has actually stalled while waiting to cross the highway for example. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer also told her that she wasnt driving it hard enough to blow out the fuel injectors and of course the prelude calls for only premium gas so what could be wrong?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I don't know!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kenjabikenjabi Member Posts: 76
    This may seem to be an overly simplified answer, but does your friend make sure she puts the gas cap back on tightly after filling up? I have read on the Prelude web boards that not tightening the gas cap all the way made their Check Engine light come on. In fact, the manual itself even states that this could happen if you don't tighten the cap enough so that it "clicks" at least three times. I never tightened my cap that much on my previous cars, because it felt like I was breaking the cap!

I'm not sure if that would remedy the stalling problem though....
    yes, fuel cap is on tight. She has also tried fuel additives upon recommendation of a mechanic to try to unclog fuel injectors. I tried to tell her to let me drive it because I don't drive like grandma behind the wheel...LOL
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    ... Honda needs one for when they think of silly things, such as dumping the Prelude from the model lineup.
    In most cases, the stall when combined with check engine light would be caused by a loose hose or a bad spark plug/wire. Have she ever change/checked the spark plug/wire? Also, make sure all hoses connect to the engine are tight. (If the mechanics in the dealer are good, they should be able to identify those, but, just in case...)

Other than that, there is really nothing.... Oh, if she got a bad O2 sensor and has been driving with CEL flash for a while, this can happen too. How long has this been happening?
    Off and on for about 9 mos or so, car will stutter when idling light will come on,then after you blow the car out on the highway it seems fine for awhile then same thing happens again. Honda dealer diag'ed replaced 2 fuel injectors but maybe the they need to do the other two. I will tell her to check the things you recommend too thanks!
    My 2001 Lude turned 32K yesterday. The occasion was marked by a faint, but steadily increasing in volume, ringing noise coming from the front end.

Drove it by the dealer on the way home and was diagnosed with a throwout bearing that's in the process of a noisy death. The service manager wasn't sure if was related to the Quaife install last month (since they did have to play in that area), but said they'd replace it under warranty anyway.

I drove 2 Integras a combined 470K miles without even a blown clutch, and thought this was pretty weird.

Maybe I'll buy the extended warranty...
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    This past week I purchased a brand-new, leftover 2001 Prelude. So far I love the car, especially its handling. I have noticed that on certain rough surfaces - or short, sharp ruts - a rattling sound comes from the driver's side, near the front wheel. Has anyone else experienced this? The car sat for a long time on the dealer's lot before I bought it. Could that be playing a part in this noise? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    ... there was one left on the lot?
    Base model or Type SH?
    Man...If I could find a 2001 SH or even a base model with a spoiler and a 5 speed, I'd save myself $15,000 by not wanting a BMW 325Ci as my next car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It's a base model with the sport shift. The color is electron blue - my favorite. The dealer is installing the spoiler on Monday - they don't have any in stock. Apparently, Honda quit making the spoiler for Preludes; it's now difficult to find. Two other local (Harrisburg, Pa.) dealers have brand-new leftover base models, but they are red, which I did not want. I know that the one red model is a five-speed; I don't know about the other. Nycccarguy, the base red model with the five-speed transmission is at Bobby Rahal Honda outside of Harrisburg, Pa. It was still there as of last weekend. Can't a local New York dealer have it shipped, if you are serious about buying it?

I would just like to find out what is causing that front end noise. When the dealer installs the spoiler on Monday, the technician can check that out as well. I'd like to be able to tell him what to look for. It always helps to be armed with information when dealing with the service department (even though, truth be known, this dealer's service department is actually pretty good).
    Wow, grback, I got my Prelude from Bobby Rahal Honda back in '99. Are you in Harrisburg, PA? I was there for 2 years. Bobby Rahal is a very good dealer and offer very good services. They offered a pre-sale technical demo on how to maintain the car (with some basic stuff like change oil, check all fluid, filter...) and an after sale seminar for car care (how to wash, wax and clean the car, of course, what kind of service they offer) with a Barbecue dinner. When I need to fix the roof rattle, I am on a tight schedule, they fixed it in 30 minutes and it never rattle again until now (with 47k miles on it). You might just give them a shot, they are very customer oriented. I wish I still live there and can take my car to there when there is a need (Although the roof rattle is the only trouble I had).

As for your rattle, it might just be something is loose (maybe the heat shield or something), but, it should be a very easy fix - granted the dealer is willing to, so don't worry about it. If your dealer give your sh*t, just call Bobby Rahal and schedule an appointment with them.
    It is strange that your throw-out bearing is gone. Do you do a lot of city drivings? I know that if you have the habbit of depress the clutch while waiting for a light, that will wear the throw-out bearing pretty quick - although it would not wear the clutch.

Since you have driven Integra (I assume they are manual) for so many miles without problem on the tranny, you should have a good shifting habit. Unless you have changed your driving style or prefer to hold the clutch in while stopped, there is really no other reason that I can think of. I have heard the throw-out bearing gone for some Luder, but, either they abuse it a lot, or just like to hold the clutch. Are you doing either of them??
    I live in the West Shore suburbs and work in the Capitol. I love the short commute! I bought mine from Faulkner Honda in Harrisburg. They had the color I wanted; plus, I've usually had good luck with their service department. We'll see how this goes. The rattle only comes when I hit a sharp bump or a long stretch of wavy road. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side front wheel.

I just spent the whole day cleaning, waxing and polishing it with the Mother's three-step process. It looks great! What color and model is yours?
    Mine is base 5spd, premium pearl white with spoiler and the fiber kit interior. Actually, I went to faulkner Honda also, but got a better price from Bobby Rahal (also a better APR), so I went with them.

Intersting enough, I did almost the same thing this morning - washing and waxing. The weather was bad here for the last 2 weeks and now it seems to be better. So, I just took the advantage of the nice weather today - 83F high and did it in 2.5hrs (started at 7:30AM).

BTW, I was living in Camp Hill, so maybe we were very close??

When I had the roof rattle, I first thought it was from the driver side front as well, but after I read about the famous sunroof rattle, I nailed it down, so that maybe the samething for you. Have you had any mods on your suspension? If not, the roof might be the problem, since the suspension on Prelude are very reliable - I have not ever heard one complain about the quality - I am an active member of 3 Prelude online forums and read most of the posts from there.

Good luck though! Oh, what color is your Lude?
    Nope, I usually leave the clutch out and put the car in neutral at stoplights. My driving is mostly highway, anyway.

I suspect that the dealer may have mis-aligned something when putting the tranny back together after they installed the LSD, causing accelerated wear.
    ... a couple of months ago, there was a leftover new 2001 Prelude Type SH sitting on the lot at Honda of Troy in Michigan. No idea why. Silver-metallic paint, just like my 'Silver Bullet' Integra. Yeah, I would have a tough time between the Prelude and a 3-Series coupe.

If Honda would have made the Prelude into an Acura, it would have taken on the last-generation Lexus SC300/400 coupe probably quite nicely... if the Acura version had a 6-cylinder. Missed opportunity?

I see plenty of Preludes around here... they sold very well in Ann Arbor. For obvious reasons.

Post any news/rumors you have here about the sixth-generation Prelude. I'm convinced Honda will bring it back, probably as a RWD [off of S2000 platform?]... hmm.
  • softtowersofttower Member Posts: 10
    "...Man...If I could find a 2001 SH or even a base model with a spoiler and a 5 speed..."

Why only 2001? Preludes seem to be _very_ reliable. I drive 98 base 5 speed with 34K miles on it and it looks and feels 100% new (maybe even a bit stronger than new). I have to mention: I take very good care of this car (wash&wax, interior&exterior, syn. oil every 4k miles, don't race, etc). How do I know? I took a brand new Prelude for a test-drive two weeks ago when I was servicing mine.

If you are serious about it I'd recommend to invest some time in looking for a good 98-99 one. You'll probably get it for around $14-15K and you'll get a car which handles way better than any non-M or Z-bimmer.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    And that tends to be the advice from the press. Get a used Prelude, it's the same thing. Of course, Prelude encourages pretty spirited driving, so finding one that's been taken care of can be challenging. (Hence the lure of buying new.)

There are a lot in Ann Arbor? I almost never see Preludes in Detroit metro, except the occasional 3rd gen. The 5th gens are so rare that whenever I'd see one while driving mine, we'd almost certainly exchange honks and smiles.
    ... Ann Arbor is a museum for Civics, Integras, Preludes, Vigors, and Legends of all ages. I mean, old Integras and old Preludes as well as new ones. Also, the Nissan 240SX [usually the early 1990s one] is seen with relative frequency, as is the Mazda MX-6. Also, one or two Suburu SVXs lurk around.

Interesting factoid for you... there's a car club here at U-M, but it seems that it's a 7-member organization... a bunch of engineering students from Singapore. I find that rather amusing... with GM and Ford around, and the automotive lab on North Campus... ah, well, I guess if you were designing the next Aztek, you wouldn't be thinking about car club racing or anything like that.

'Ann Arbor' is not really Detroit metro; there is simply too many New York and San Francisco people around here... but there are also the countryfolk from Michigan and Ohio, and the Detroit crowd on the weekends. So, there are all sorts of cars in the area. It's very different from my hometown, where the Grand Am and Neon and Stratus and Cavalier and Intrigue and ... hey, are you feeling okay? I'll stop listing them all, then! (^_-) ... prevail.
    shmang: Mine is electron blue. Blue is my favorite car color; the 1999 Civic EX sedan that I traded on the Prelude was ice tea pearl. The diamond white was my second choice for the Prelude.

I haven't modified the suspension, so the dealer can't put the blame on me. Incidentally, the noise seems less noticeable today; maybe with use it will go away. I hope! The car passed the 500 mile mark this morning.

I live in New Cumberland, which is down the river from Camp Hill. I couldn't afford to live in Camp Hill when I moved here three years ago! Camp Hill is the nicest of the West Shore suburbs. Did you work at one of the government bases in the area?

Regarding Ann Arbor, isn't that where Car & Driver is based? I always got the impression Ann Arbor was kind of a midwestern Berkeley, which makes me wonder how on earth Car & Driver ever ended up there!
    Automobile Magazine editorial office is just a couple of blocks down, I can see it from my window. To get into it, you gotta walk down an alley and go up the secret elevator. They don't like visitors... but they comfirmed my fear last year when I first heard that the Prelude was being pulled outta the market.

Yeah, midwestern Berkeley is it. Ann Arbor has the Californians and everything. You will see a lot of different cars here - in summers on Main Street, you can see Rolls-Royces. Otherwise, Toyotas and Hondas and Volkswagens and Volvos are alllll over. But, like I said, Ann Arbor is an island in the area... drive out into the country, and you're back in Ford territory. That's where Electron Blue Preludes look the best, when they're not on every street corner.

My Integra is silver metallic... I like Honda-Acura's blue and silver paints.
    Ann Arbor has, hands down, the best places to eat in the state of Michigan.
    ... if you can find a parking place. And remember, a Prelude says 'give me a parking ticket' when you leave it alone for ONE MINUTE while you put your name on the waiting list.
    They love giving parking tickets to anyone and everyone around here, even the police... who have those sexy Impalas these days, too!

Automotive Magazine and Car & Driver have their offices in town... what about Motor Trend? They are my favorite print source... always have best photos, it seems. I wonder who will be first with the new 2004(?) Prelude preview.
    As of Wednesday (My Birthday) I'll have been officially driving for 10 years (Wow how time flies). The 3 cars I've owned or leased in my driving life, they've all been new. That being said, I have nothing against used cars, but I buy new.

I emailed a local dealer and saw on his website that he has 6 preludes sitting on his lot. The catch: They're all SportShifts. We've been corresponding back and forth and I asked him if he could locate a Red or White Type SH for me. So we'll see what happens.

I sat in an RSX Type S at the Auto SHow here at the Javitz center. Very impressive list of featurs for the price (Leather, Sunroof, 6 disc In Dash CD player, Automatic Climate Control). I'll have to drive the RSX and see if I like it. The styling is really growing on me.

Yeah the RSX-S is impressive, right up to the point when you realize you're paying $$ for faux-luxury bits instead of stuff that makes the car a better driver, like a LSD, proper wishbones all around, and decent tires and brakes.

Color me unimpressed by the cheap leather, Bose (where's the bass?) audio system, and chintzy cabin materials. All I wanted when I had a GS-R was more power and a sixth gear. No way am I trading a control-arm suspension for climate control!

Feh!
    Tell them to send them to Detroit!!!
    SportShifts!!! What colors?!
    ... come to pappa, Prelude!
    Geez, we never get the goods here in Detroit.
    I do acknowledge your perspective on the RSX-s. That said, I think it was Acura's intent since the start of its design to bring their base model up into the luxury fold, to be more consistent with the rest of their lineup and nameplate. And, while not perfect, to that end I think it succeeds. Statistically (at least on paper) the RSX-s betters on the GSR in just about every category. I don't mind the McPherson's up front so much but do have some qualms with the compact double wishbones in the rear, I don't like their purported "hoppity" at the limit characteristics. The Bose system is definitely anemic(never been a Bose fan), I would swap the system out in an instant.
    My point to all this being, the RSX-s does improve upon (the Integra's) performance while managing to go more upscale. Adding the LSD or other performace parts, systems, along with increasing its luxury content would push its cost into the $25+K area. The RSX-R should fill the all out performance void, though lacking some of the luxury content.
    Which leads me to, WHY THE H^@L DID HONDA KILL THE PRELUDE!!!....oh yeah, it didn't sell- damn!
    I'll keep you guys updated.

... the Nissan Silvia is being cut too.
    Help, Nagoya-think is turning into Detroit-think!!! First the Prelude... now this...
    Personally, I don't care if Silvia is cut or not - since we can't get it here anyway, who cares. But, Prelude is a different story. I know, it does not sell here, but at least if you appreciate it, you can get it. But for Silvia, even you appreciate, it is very hard to get one.

Well, the best thing I can do is: keep my Lude well maintained and hopefully it will last forever!
    ... Same with my Integra!

The GT-R will come over finally with that 350Z look to it... and the Accord coupe will have enough power to be a Prelude poseur, should it choose to do so.
    The dealer emailed me last night and said he's still looking for an '01 Prelude Type SH for me. I'd rather drive and go get it, rather than him either truck it or have someone else drive it for me to his dealership. I've also got to drive an RSX Type S to compare the 2. Any thoughts on this (without comments such as: The RSX is an overpriced piece of junk)? Thank you.

Similar price, but that's about it. Prelude is heavier, more stable and better built; I think it handles better but the weight penalty is there. However, if I take a 80mph curve at 30 with poor visibility, no coupe short of a M3 would wrest me from the Prelude.

The RSX on the other hand is a bit quicker due to its weight, and seems a bit more tossable. However from my test drives it's noisier and much, much less capable of handling extreme driving, and more strongly affected by things like road imperfection. The RSX does have climate control, Bose stereo, etc., but for some reason I found the AF Prelude's stock sound to be crisper and clearer, and the regular hvac to be good enough. Visibility on the Prelude is much better, and probably top of class. Ditto build quality and road feedback.

I think you should definitely drive the RSX. It has its audience and market; it depends on what you like to do with the car, and the RSX may be right. For me, I liked the lower ride height, better visibility and what I felt were real sports car moves from the Prelude. I wanted a low, wide sports car with a long hood and heavy, precise steering, and the Prelude was the closest to that I could find. However there was no denying the high price you pay for it. Moreover, the RSX's cargo capacity, etc., dwarfs that of the Prelude, and the Prelude's interior isn't going to impress your friends unless you lend them the keys and they get to see where the money went for themselves. The RSX's interior is much better looking, it's hard to deny that. Lastly I like the Prelude's engine better (more torque, feeling the VTEC crossover can be a rush) but the numbers show rather clearly that in a straight line the RSX-S benefits from its flatter torque curve and much lighter curb weight. If acceleration from a stoplight is the all-important criteria, the RSX is probably your cup of tea.

Oh, the other differentiator is ATTS if you can get it, and which is not available on any RSX trim. If you do hard cornering, it does lift Prelude into a different class while giving you the feeling that you're driving a very special car. Whether that's worth the cost is buyer's discretion, but it's something to consider.
    Well, IMO, the RSX-S is not over priced. Actually, I think it just priced right with all the options you get and with a Acura badge, it will sell well (which is what prelude is lacking of). The RSX is worth the money and is fast and fun to drive. But, there are 2 major things I don't like about it: 1st - ugly looking. 2nd: it does not gives the confidence in handling and the crisp feeling you got in a Prelude. But both can be fixed - Get a body kit and a custom hood for the first one, A LSD and suspension upgrade for the second and you are set. Then, it will be a $27K real sports coupe.
    Thanks for the info. Again, If my dealer can find me a brand new '01 Type SH in either Red or White, that's probably what I'm going to take. Cargo capacity has never been a strong point of the Prelude. Nothing short of an SUV dwarfs the cargo space of My Saab 9-3. Visibility is a concern as my Saab has 2 massive blind spots. I love to drive, don't get me wrong, but I'm not interested in racing or modifying whatever car I get in any way. The fact that the Prelude is considered portly for the class doesn't bother me. By my "butt dyno," it is still fast and handles extremely well. But like you said, I'll have to drive the RSX. If there are no Preludes to be found:(, it isn't a bad second choice:)

I wonder if Honda of Troy still has that silver 2001 Type SH on the lot. Yes, the Prelude sits low, has that long hood, and has wonderfully precise steering. Excellent machine... reason for the Integra is that Jeffrey Acura in Roseville sold it to me for about $17,000. Excellent deal.

The Integra's hatch will folded-down seats carry a ton of stuff. The RSX is probably similar, but I don't remember exactly from the car show. I was being attacked just to sit in it for 2 seconds.

I like the 3rd generation Integra styling more than the RSX, but only slightly. I'm very partial to 1990s sport coupe design. The RSX is NOT ugly... it's conservative, perhaps, in comparison to the other monsters on the road.
    Yes, if you want a racy-looking machine, then you go ahead and 'slam it.
    I don't really dream of slamming and modding my SILVER BULLET ... I would be arrested by the beauty police for mocking Grand Am Boy Racer Super Claddings here in Detroit.

Here in Ann Arbor, of course, 64% of Japanese sport coupes are mod jobs. Maybe 60%.
    I don't see too many modded cars closer to the Detroit metro area. In fact, I don't think I've seen a visibly modded Integra in quite some time; ditto for Preludes. I do see the occasional slammed Civic or Neon but there seem to be more modded Focuses (foci?) around here than all other imports and domestics combined.