Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daewoo Lanos

Comments

• I drive a 1999 Daewoo Lanos S hatchback with automatic. I posted about 3 or 4 reports in the old forum...here's the current stats:
    just under 24K miles, good car overall...here's the plagues:

car has its 2nd set of brake rotors and 2nd set of brake pads (warped rotors & noisy pads)

engine control computer idle speed needed to be reset (software glitch)

car has its 2nd muffler (internal rustout)

and the latest...left wheel bearing was worn out (loud noise when rolling) and the right one showed signs of wearing out quickly

all repairs done under warranty without any quibbling
  • blackmr2blackmr2 Posts: 3
    It sounds like a lot of work for a car with only 24K. It is good that it is still under warranty and there's no cost (other than time) to you, but once that is up seems as if your bill will be quite high... again, considering the low mileage.
  • Hi-

Wondering what anyone thinks of these hatch backs. New, used, or what have you. To tell you the truth I have been researching vehicles now for... probably the better half of 3 months and keep changing my mind about what I want. (for instance I was just looking at a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire last weekend) but I started out "lusting" for a Kia Lanos Sport. I've ranged from Jeep Wrangler to Kia Rio to Mitsub. Eclipse to Saturn and I just can't seem to settle.

Now I'm steering back toward a Spectra or a Lanos. Who knows what I'll end up choosing. I keep telling myself to ditch my 1990 pick up before Winter hits...but money is tight. So while I keep searching, I must find more insight and answers.

(also posted this on the Spectra site)
  • source:

http://www.autonewseurope.com/2001frankfurt/daewoo910.htm

==

The future may still be uncertain back in South Korea, but Daewoo keeps coming up with new ideas. Frankfurt will showcase the troubled carmaker's new supermini and lower-medium segment models.

The Kalos is an all-new supermini contender, fitting into the Daewoo lineup between the Matiz and Lanos. The Kalos model is due in the third quarter 2002.

==

At one time on this board or the Lanos sedan baord (now archived), there was a discussion of the Kalos concept model and whether it was a Matiz or Lanos replacement. It sure looked like a Matiz, but apparently it will slot in between both models.

H.

• Hello to everyone:

I purchased my Lanos Sport in December. While I've owned many nice cars in the past, I have to say that for the money this is one tough car to beat. Most of my driving is on city roads that aren't in the best shape. I find the ride to be quite smooth for a small car and the seats are fantastic. The car comes with just about all the options anyone could want. I did e-mail customer service at Daewoo to ask them why we can't get all of the same features of the Europeon model which includes a tachometer, fog lights, tilt steering and sunroof. They answered me the next day and said that they would forward this info to the appropriate department for consideration. Now that GM is officially taking them over, we might see those options on the American versions in the future. The car handles very good but I think it could be improved even more with better tires than what comes on it. The car is almost too cute for words and I get plenty of looks and smiles from other people. I've read several test reports from car magazines and they all complained about the automatic transmission not shifting smoothly. Mine shifts smooth as silk so I don't know what their talking about. The premium sound system is good although it could use some better quality speakers that could take advantage of the 140 watts of power. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that doesn't have the worries of a big family. I have spoken to many Daewoo owners and the vast majority seem to really like them. Daewoo builds heavy construction and farm equipment so they should know something about how to build a good car. I owned a 2000 Focus ZX3 which has been raved about in most of the car journals. It was a piece of junk. It had problems that the dealership had no answers on how to fix so I got rid of it in a hurry. No matter what problems may arise with this car, it will be nothing compared to what was wrong with the Focus.
  • If i rememeber right the Daewoo cars sold here are really the last gen nissan cars . didn't they but the rights to it and just reworked the bodys ? I think i read it in car a driver in 97 or 98 .
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    There is no relation between Nissan and Daewoo. Daewoo has connections to GM, but thats it. Examples: All of their engines are built by Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary. The Nubira uses a GM auto tranny which is also used in the Cavalier. The Lanos is simply a redesigned version of the late 80s Pontiac Lemans.
  • dabossdaboss Posts: 4
    I need a new car for my son. I am being offered a New leftover 2001 Daewoo Lanos hatchback with Automatic and Air for around $8,000. The price is tempting but Edmunds Auto calls it a "LAMOS" and most reviews are not to favorable. Does anyone here really own a Lanos and would you recommend buying one? I need a quick answer cause I will make up my mind in the next couple of days.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    If you can get that car for that price, I say go for it! I don't own one but have driven one. The Lanos isn't the quietest or most refined car around and has some really cheap looking interior plastics (thus the so so reviews), but it gets the job done as basic reliable transportation that looks nice too. It has been praised for its good handling and good brakes. It is pretty much impossible to get a brand new car for 8k with AC and auto. The car is covered for the next 3 years bumper to bumper and 5 years on the powertrain. What more could you ask for? Your only other choice is to take a gamble on a used car. I would rather take a chance on a new car with a warranty then a used one that may or may not be a good car. Remember, the engine is a GM design and is built by Holden, a GM Australian company, so it should be a reliable engine. I'm sorry to say you won't find much info about the Lanos here as it is rarely visited, but you can find other very happy Daewoo owners in the Nubira and Leganza sedan forums. They could at least give you some insight on longer term reliabilty. Good luck! Let us know here whether you get the car and what your first impressions are.
  • kris29kris29 Posts: 1
    How could anyone have ever said this is a good car? I will fight to the end to prove how wrong they are. Never buy such a cheap crapy car. But yes Kia is worse just ask tow truck drivers because if you buy a Deawoo or a Kia you will meet alot of them.
  • jkotjkot Posts: 6
    "How could anyone have ever said this is a good car? "

I have a 2001 Lanos Sport. I looked at ALL the other options. All the American, German, Korean, and Japan offerings. None, and I mean NONE had as good an offering for the money. I still have not read or heard of ANY major problems with a Daewoo car. In fact most owners of Daewoos rave about them. I would have to agree, I have owned my Daewoo for 1 year now and can honestly say that It is a GREAT car for the money. I have not had a single problem or warranty issue. I was a die hard GM owner, but when I needed a new car, I looked at all the manufacturers. Beleive it or not, after evaluating features, price, style, warranty, Daewoo had the best offering for me.
  • Hi all,

I have now had my Lanos Sport for a few months and I like it more everytime I drive it. I usually exceed the manufacturers estimated fuel mileage figure. I have had no problems yet. The car performs flawlessly although I'm still considering changing to a performance tire instead of the touring radials that come with it. While this car is no rocket, I can hold my own in both rush hour traffic and freeway driving. The automatic continues to shift smoothly (unlike what some magazine reviews have said) and the seats are sooooooo comfortable. This is a great little car and certainly the best sub-compact I've ever owned. I thought that the Toyota Echo was the best small car currently available but I now think the Lanos is just as good.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your Daewoo Lanos updates. Glad to hear that things are going well for both of you.

Gee, if I see more of you happy campers around here..., we're going to have to start up a Daewoo Owners Club and link this discussion to it. Let me know if anyone's interested in the idea. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Bring it on, Revka, I'd check the Daewoo owner's club religiously. I'm quite pleased with my Daewoo Nubira.
  • Yes, good idea. Please create the club.
    to our Town Hall Owner's Club host (Karen). Thanks for the feedback. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Good new everyone! Karen will be putting together a Town Hall Daewoo Owner's Club soon; hopefully by the end of this week. In addition, she'll be linking up all our ongoing Daewoo discussions to this new area. So watch for announcements in all our Daewoo discussions. Also, feel free to spread the word to any Daewoo owners you may know.

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    I'm here to announce the new Daewoo Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Hatchbacks.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• Have you been inside the Daewoo Lanos 1600 Twin Cam when the variable intake manifold switches from the long normal path at low rpm to the short path at high rmp?

It feels like a turbo coming on line!

Where other econoboxes peak out and have nothing left, this car just seems to keep on going and going - very safe for passing on the highway!

And that cute Italian styling, English and German engineering, great Korean computerized and roboticized build quality, small to park in-city, tall enough to feel visible on the road, real headroom in the read, and wow, that extra power at the top end when you floor it is just the safest feeling for me!

Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/daewoolanos to discuss more about the car!

• hbrow00hbrow00 Posts: 31
    News about the Kalos at

Cars.com Geneva Auto Show

(scroll to bottom of link) Excerpt:

2003 Daewoo Kalos

. . .

For markets accustomed to the Daewoo Lanos, including the United States, the Kalos is meant to replace it. . . . In markets that carry the hot-selling Daewoo Matiz super-mini, the Kalos will eventually serve as its replacement.

On the world stage, the three-door or five-door Kalos layout is meant to compete against the Peugeot 206, Ford Fiesta and Volkswage Polo, among others. Two engines — a 1.2-liter and a 1.4-liter — are available, while performance specifications have not yet been released.

For a company that’s in a real financial and organizational mess, Daewoo certainly keeps cranking out nice designs.

H.

This discussion has been closed.