Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Care and Maintenance

Comments

• dawn1975dawn1975 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me how to reset the indicator manually?
    I just had my first oil change done tonight in my '06 Honda Civic. The Mr. Tire I took the car to because of time could not figure out how to reset the indicator. Please reply here or to spdski@hotmail.com. Thanks.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I thought it may have been used because you mentioned damage to the alloy rim/s due to a tire change prior to sale. So, this begs yet another question...why were the tires changed if this was a "new" car? A film on the glass?More evidence of some type of environmental damage? I am not entirely sure the glass is protected by some type of film for shipping and even if it were it shouldn't be necessary to scrape it off with a razor blade. I have been seeing postings of easily scratched/chipped glass on these as well. Something seems fishy with your purchase. There seems to be too many issues with a "new" car. What is the latest with your inquiries to Honda?
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I would do a vin# search in Louisiana because I still think
    the car was flooded and Honda won't know and dealers won't
    tell the truth.I once bought a new (unregistered) Mazda
    and was told it was a demo.I had it a couple of weeks and one day I noticed a panel had a different contour so I got
    a magnet and checked it.It had Bondo on it.It had been
    in an accident.I took it back to the dealer and they denied
    knowing anything.I wanted a new car but they were not going to budge till I threatened to sue. Eventually I got the new car but it left a bad taste about that dealer.
  • human12human12 Member Posts: 2
    Ok so I heard from my gf of all people that you need to break in a new engine. i have less the 100 miles on my car and I was wondering if this is true and how to do it?
  • wsustudentwsustudent Member Posts: 35
    Yes she is right, although the break in period on new vehicles today is not nearly as strict as they were back in the 20th century. The best way to break in your new engine is to just drive moderately for the first 1000-1500 miles. Try to vary the speed from residential speeds to highway speeds and avoid jackrabbit starts. Also remember there is a small break in period on new brake pads too. Brake moderately as well and avoid panic stops for the first 200-300 miles. This will ensure the brake pads are seated properly and ensure proper wear for the life of the pads. Hope this helps, enjoy the new car.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The recommended break-in steps are outlined in the owner's manual.
  • joekrishjoekrish Member Posts: 5
    Just passing along...The check engine light came on at 138k so I took it to Autozone and with malfunction code in hand went to the local Honda dealership to get some parts.. Turns out the 96/97 Civic has a 150K/14 year emission warranty...

So for all those Civic owners...don't forget to ask....
    OK, a quick rundown of what has happened to me with my 03 Civic coupe can be found on the honda civic climate control system board. I got the car back from the shop after its head gasket, water pump, and timing belt replacement. The car ran great out of the shop, but I smelled oil burning coming from underneath the hood. I checked it out, and it was coming from the block somewhere, and not out the tail pipe. I called the shop back and he commented back saying he cleaned really good under there (which he truly did), so it was probably just burn off from that and to give it a couple of days of driving. Still curious I looked at my receipt for the repairs he did this morning (I got the car back Friday and probably have driven it 150 miles). He charged me for FIVE quarts of oil. So I popped the hood again and checked the level and it is well above the max line. I can't really notice any oil burning smell anymore after this weekend of driving. I am going to drive it to the shop tomorrow to show him what he did and have the excess drained out in case there was any damage done.

My question is:

Do I have to worry about any permanent damage done by this incident? I have only driven it about 150 miles like I said with this problem and am having it corrected tomorrow. Engine still sounds quiet and the oil burning has gone away, and it has never burned out the tail pipe. I have researched it a little on the internet saying oil whip could occur causing damage due to the lack of lubrication because the oil pump does not do a good job pumping air and oil can leak out due to the excess pressure which is probably what I was experiencing. Any help or advice is much appreciated.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    usually for oil "cavitation" or excess crankcase pressure you need a LOT of extra oil in there, not just one quart extra.

So I'd say no harm done. It would take like ten quarts to create a menace like you read about.
  • trigredtrigred Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003 Civic LX 85,000 miles. recently a yellow lamp came on in the cluster with the tachometer in it. My mechanic who I very much trust said he had to reset the throttle positioning sensor. the light stayed out about 400 miles but is now back on again. Do I have a bad problem or just a pain in the rear one?. I will go back to my mechanic but what can i expect?. This is the first problem I have had other than maint. items since I got the vehicle?
    Thanks for the response..took it to the shop today and he drained out the excess oil and said basically the same thing you said. Car is finally running like it should now...and the heat is HOT!
  • werpswerps Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if this is really needed? Local dealer said if belt fails will cause serious damamge to the engine. About $600 to replace. I'd like to know if these things ever break. I have a '97 Civic w/ 92K. Thanks.
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    The belt can and will break, causing damage to the engine like stated.
    Usage can wear the belt, also age is a determining factor.
    With that many miles, and considering it's a '97, I'd have it replaced.
    You should get a price for the belt, and check around to have an independant garage change it.
    It's not that difficult and it would save you possibly a couple hundred dollars.

PS: The '06 and newer Civics have a timing chain, thus they can stretch over time, but won't break.
  • werpswerps Member Posts: 2
    I'll do that--thanks for your help.
  • reblack_jrreblack_jr Member Posts: 57
    I am trying to help my 93 yr old mother-in-law out with a problem she is having on resetting her radio.
    Her battery went down the other day and she needed a jump and all is fine except the radio does not work because a code needs to be reset. I had done this for her a few years back but can not remember how to do it. She lives about 100m miles away so driving over is not a viable option.
    Does anyone have the instructions how to do it?
    She knows the code but not the procedure.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Bob
  • jgradyjgrady Member Posts: 2
    my name is jeff,
    my wife has the same problem,did you ever find the answer,
    i would love to know,thanks
  • jsabatinojsabatino Member Posts: 1
    Hmmm. It says in my manual that it will be reset by mechanic who changes your oil. That little wrench light is about to drive me nuts. Would someone please please please tell me how to shut that darned thing off? Maybe they have since changed the manual because of complaints, but I assure you it's NOT in mine. I had one of the first 2006 Civics produced, so maybe that's the reason. Would someone please take the time to copy what's in their manual and let me know. Thank you in advance.
    I don't know if it is the same procedure to reset the light in all models; I don't have an 06 but you can try this at least to get you started until someone else comes up with an answer that has an 06.

This is the procedure for an 03 model.

1) Hold down the trip reset button with everything off.
    2) While holding down the trip reset button put the key in and turn the ignition to "on" (the position where you hear the fuel pump, gauges come on etc.) but do not start the car.
    3) Continue to hold down the trip reset button until the light goes off (usually 10-15 seconds).

Hopefully this will work for your model year. Good luck!
  • lostmonkeylostmonkey Member Posts: 2
    Hmm... you guys must have missed it in the manual... here is the instruction:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position
    2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life is displayed
    3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code(s) will blink.
    4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenance item code(s) will disappear, and the engine oil life will reset to "100".

I have used these instructions before on my 06' civic baby. So, it should work. Good luck!
  • lostmonkeylostmonkey Member Posts: 2
    I have been trying to look for it in the manual, couldn't find it. I am assuming 20000 miles will be the magic number?? Does anyone have it for that long and drive that much that needs the transmission fluid service yet? Thanks for all your input.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    How did you come up with 20,000 miles? I have never heard of any modern car that needs automatic transmission fluid changes every 20000 miles.

The schedule definitely is in the manual.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Definitely read what the manual says about the tranny fluid drain & refill time period. 20k miles seems way to short of a time interval for a fluid swap. 60k or even 75k seems more like it, but I also have not read that part of my owners manual. With only 6239 on the odo now, I've got a looonnnnnggggg time to have to think about this issue.

The Sandman :)
  • imm1962imm1962 Member Posts: 11
    My wife's Civic LX 4-door 2002 needs new brake pads. I am going to replace them but I need a suggestion about the pads. Which are the best pads in $40-50 range? Any brand that is better then others? Any specific place to buy (online or store)?
    I would actually recommend going to the Honda dealer and buying the OEM pads. They cost about $60 for a set, but they will probably last the longest out of anything you could buy at the auto parts store. I got 64k out of my first set of pads on my civic.
    Pads of better quality than OEM probably exist, but since he is shopping in such a narrow price range, I'm not sure he will find them.
    Everything OEM is not automatically the top quality available. The car manufacturers have costs they have to stay within also.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I am sure there are many other places, but I liked the illustrated parts break down format on this site.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- - cgry1=Civic&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=4DR+DXVP+VALUE+PKG&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=FR- - ONT+BRAKE

I do not have the shop technical manual in front of me, but you should measure the rotors, to see if they meet the specification for the project life of the new pads and (old) rotors given your actual use. Upshot is you might not get away as cheap (at 60 dollars) as you had planned. But this is no place to scrimp.
    thanks for posting that, very helpful!
  • mck76mck76 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Civic EX I got it in 09/06 since the purchase I have been very satisfied with the car no real issues, except one. When ever I would go over a bump in the road there was a knocking noise on the passanger side behind the glove box. I took it to the dealer and they thought I was crazy the car only has about 4500 miles. Anyway, I finally got one of the mechanics to go on a ride along with me to show him the noise. Upon further review it turns out that the some of the 06 civics have faulty engine mounts that need to be repaired. The dealer told me that there is a TSB about this issue but I have not been able to find it. Hope that this helps others with the same issues.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Does anyone know where the reset button is located?

Thanks,
    Joe
    It is illustrated in your owners manual on this procedure for future reference

Anyhow this is what you do...

With the key off hold down the trip reset button on the gauge cluster.

While holding down the trip reset button turn the key to the ii. position (on), but do not start.

The light should go off in about 10 seconds. Then you can let go of the trip reset button and you're all set for another 10000 miles.
  • rikrakrikrak Member Posts: 31
    This worked on my 2007 LX too/ thanX

Hmm... you guys must have missed it in the manual... here is the instruction:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position
    2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life is displayed
    3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code(s) will blink.
    4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenance item code(s) will disappear, and the engine oil life will reset to "100".

I have used these instructions before on my 06' civic baby. So, it should work. Good luck!
  • jwse1ejwse1e Member Posts: 4
    I have just reached 105k on my 2001 Honda Civic LX. Manual suggests the oil change & filter, but also a timing belt change (including drive belts, timing belt, water pump), manual transmission flush & fill, coolant system flush & fill, and brake system flush & fill.

Local Dealer suggests this will be $800 total package. What is a reasonable price for this service - could a local mechanic do better?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, even another Honda dealer. Call 5 Honda dealers and you will probably get 5 different prices for that.
    It is still going to be expensive because of the timing belt change.
    Many independent shops can do that work too for considerably cheaper. I had it done on my 95 Civic with drive belts and coolant system flush for $415. My 2003 was just in for a head gasket job :( and while they were in there I had them change the timing belt and water pump as well. They also flushed the cooling system and changed the valve cover gasket and did a general tune up of the car. This was $700 but the head gasket was almost $100 alone if I remember correctly.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    I like to give credit, where credit is due. '02 Civic with 23K miles had the 3rd window regulator go bad. American Honda paid for the entire repair bill. If you think you have a valid claim, give American Honda acall at 1-800-999-1009.
  • hondajohnhondajohn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX Four Door Sedan that has given me 5 years 10 months and 108,000 miles of relible service. It has been one of the best of nearly 8 new cars I have owned.

This spring while cleaning the winter wear from this car I noticed the left front door weatherstrip was not properly fitted in the rear view mirror area. Unpon lifting the weatherstrip I discovered a rust area six inches long. The rust is so bad the werather strip will not fit into the channel designed to keep it into place. The passinger side door does not have this problem.

If you own a 2001, 02, or 03, Civic, inspect this area on your car. Take a close look becuase it is consealed and is not noticable without lifting the weatherstrip.

I would like to hear from any 2001, 02 & 03 Civic owner with the same problem.
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    so i was looking at the recalls on edmunds.com and noticed one about the gas pedal being notchy and the fix is a new throttle cable. i have this exact issue however, the recall looks different than the others. there are no dates and it doesn't say how many cars are affected or anything. so i'm a little hesitant about taking this to a dealer. what's your thoughts? i would love to not have to pay for this service
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    Have a cracked rear tail-light lense on a '98 LX. Body shop wanted $105. for replace and install. Anyone know an internet site to order one and is it an easy "do-it-yourself" job? Thanks.
  • keilahkkeilahk Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know a good priced and honest mechanic near Phoenix,AZ? Just moved here and need a reliable mechanic to change all 4 brakes. Thanks

Girl Car
  • woobsterwoobster Member Posts: 1
    I am an owner of a 2006 Civic LX Sedan. This is my first new car, and I just went in at 5500 miles for my first oil change. The Maintenance Minder had noted "A1", which seems to mean I needed an oil change (A) and tire rotation (1). When I went in to the dealer, I just asked for the oil change, and they didn't mention that I needed anything else for this service check. When I got home I started searching through the owner's manual to look at the actual maintenance schedule for the car, but it doesn't seem to exist. I just says to do whatever the "Maintenance Minder" tells you to do, but there's no actual schedule to refer to. There is a separate booklet about tires that mentions you should rotate tires around 6000 mi.

I called the service guy back and asked about the tire rotation, and he said it doesn't need to be done until 10K, and when I told him the "Minder" had said "A1", he was surprised but still said I'd be OK.

As this is my first new car, I want to do everything I can to keep it ship shape. I just want to make sure I'm OK waiting to get the tires rotated. And if I don't do it, would it void my warranty at all?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    My owner's manual, shop manual and Honda web site says 10,000 miles for tire rotation. There are pros and cons for the various schedules such as 3/5/10. Mine also recommends crossing the rears and fronts straight back.
  • jcramitjcramit Member Posts: 1
    Yo what up just got my first civic but i need some help. Does NE one know what the torque should be on the transmission mount bolts? Any help would be great.
    Cramer
    Thanx
  • kaine1kaine1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 civic that makes a loud humming noise when I am coasting down from 60 mph to 50 mph and continues if I downshift to 4th. When I stop and accelerate again to the same speed it is usually gone and will suddenly appear again later. It is very intermittent and sounds like a loud vibration. I have just replaced all 4 tires and had an alignment and it is not any better. Any ideas????
  • civic2086civic2086 Member Posts: 6
    Every time I go over a bump or even a non-bumpy road that isn't even, my car makes a mild, but rapid thumping noise. Mild- but definitely noticeable. It seems to come from the left front tire or wheel well. Does any body have an idea what it is? Should I be afraid for my life when driving? Should I go to an independent repair shop or go to a Honda Garage? Thank you for your reply!
  • kelly1201kelly1201 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I have a 99 civic that I bought a little over a year ago. It would occasionally shake while I was driving on back roads, while accelerating under 55 mph. It has now begun to shake more often until I take my foot off the gas. Has anyone had this similar problem and does anyone know what could be going on?
  • brownmycbrownmyc Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 99 honda civic, and I'm not the most car savvy person. I need new struts and shocks. How many of each do i need, for what area of the car and do i need strut bars as well if I'm replacing the rest. Thank you.
  • amjunejaamjuneja Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I have the same problem with my 95 civic. It shakes in the speech range 30-55 mph while accelerating. Also it shakes only when in transmission D4 and not in D3. Did you find a solution to your problem? If so I'll appreciate if you can let me know what you found.

Thanks!
    AJ
  • bd3vilbd3vil Member Posts: 2
    My alternator belt snapped on me. And now I have to replace it. Can you guys/gals tell me how to install a alternator belt??
    Tell us year, model, engine size.
  • bd3vilbd3vil Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 honda civic hatchback dx with a 1.6 liter engine. It's just a stock honda civic hatchback.
This discussion has been closed.