Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    holenone79holenone79 Member Posts: 20
    Dont the dealers in your area charge a dealer documentary charge?
    In the Phoenix and Tucson area, they seem to range from $200-300.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I know I may get in trouble for this. A few years back some one posted a similar list on a web board and got sued for slander. But here it is anyway.

The bad: Stay away from Paragon Honda in Queens. Rt 23 Honda in Pompton NJ is pretty sad. The most incompetent sales ever, but the most beautiful facility. Bay Ridge Honda is a rip off (they do offer $300 for your old sneakers, $1000 for a used MetroCard, or $5000 for trade-in, but I am sure they build it into the price of the car). White Plains Honda in White plains, NY is owned by the same people as Paragon Honda (see above).

Neutral: Have not heard anything bad or good about Staten Island Honda. Bob Ciasully Honda in Jersey City, NJ is OK (not bad, not great). Same for Babylon Honda in Babylon, NY.

The good: D&C in Tenafly, NJ were good to me back in 1999. If you willing to drive a few miles, Fair Honda in Danbury, CT is really good. I have bought parts from their web based parts counter for years ( http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com ) and bought my last car from them last year. The most pleasant experience with the internet sales group. I have heard good things about Brewster Honda in Brewster, NY, and Mount Kisco Honda in Mount Kisco, NY. Mahwah Honda in Mahwah, NJ has a good reputation as well.

General rule of thumb, the father you go away from NYC proper, the better exprience you will have. But not too far, as they will get cocky. If you have a dealership in mind check with better business beaurau (sp?), or ask on boards like this. Word of mouth is the best advertizement.

If price is your goal, try buying a manual Civic off the lot, you will get a much better deal, as no one is willing to buy them in NYC area. Driving a Civic with a manual in traffic is not bad. Besides, what else do you have to do sitting in traffic anyway. At least this way you get to move extremities and get the blood flowing.

Good luck.
  • Options
    gerriberrigerriberri Member Posts: 44
    Hi Holenone79,

I had the dealer send me an email with all the charges through OTD. I just went through the car buying experience with my mother, who is down in Florida, so I learned alot from that experience. Yes, they all charge their "fees". but they can also work the sales contract backwards.. from the OTD price..
    I also know, that once you get to the dealership, prices quoted can then be a whole differnt story, and at that point I will walk..
    Stayed tuned for an update as this will probably take place towards the end of May.
  • Options
    Hi Blueiedgod,

Thanks for all the info.. I am actually doing the research for a friend, who is buying the car for business, and therefore would need a manual transmission. So of course price is always an issue, but so is dealing with someone reputable.

I appreciate the headsup on the dealerships you mentioned.. I dont know how far she would be willing to travel to buy the car, but I will definitely check out the ones you mentioned.

Thanks so much.
    Gerri
  • Options
    fuzzy71fuzzy71 Member Posts: 8
    Just bought the Civic EX sedan Auto w/side airbags on long island for 16,400 + dmv and tax.
  • Options
    Fuzzy,

What dealership on Long Island? And I just wanted to double check, your price was WITH side airbags, correct??

Thanks!

Gerri
  • Options
    fuzzy71fuzzy71 Member Posts: 8
    Gerri,I got three email quotes ranging from 16,400-16,450 from 3 other places then I went into Millennium honda in hempstead. They started at 17,200 and I said I wanted it for 16,000. I liked everyone in the place and my girlfriend who was buying the car felt real comfortable buying it there so we settled with 16,400 and yes, that included side airbags. I did buy it the last day of the month so that might of helped. I also ordered the consumer report car buying report for $12.00 and they said I should start at 16,673 and go up from there so I felt like we got a pretty good price. Good luck.
  • Options
    giantsfan21giantsfan21 Member Posts: 1
    Is $15975 a good price for a 2004 Civic EX coupe with automatic transmission?
  • Options
    carnewbiecarnewbie Member Posts: 1
    I am a first time car buyer who is very confused. I have the option of getting
     a 2001 Nissan Altima LX( so extra perks such as power seats etc) with 30,000 miles automatic,still under warranty, 1 private owner from a Toyota Dealership .... good records, clean and going for $10,00

the other a Honda Civic with 80,000 miles (2 owners, the first was a commuter and drove several miles each day), stick shift, new ceramic brakes, car alarm, no warranty....good records and well maintained by both owners( almost immaculate, the last owner works in a dealership) going for $7000.

Well Money talks, but I want a car that gives no trouble for at least 4 years and I am willing to pay the $10,000 for the comfort and the extra warranty, but I do want a good deal.....

Any thoughts....?? Help ASAP!! I am trying to decide in a couple of days...
  • Options
    Welcome aboard. The two cars you listed are completeley opposite of each other. The Altima is bigger and looks like has more options, although you did not list the trim of the Civic. The ceramic brakes on the Civic is probably pure BS. Ceramic brakes alone are a $5000 option on the Porsche. Let alone someone would put those on an 80,000 mile Civic. Just based on that, I would say: "stay away from the guy who is selling the Civic"
    $10K for a 2001 Altima is a little pricey, I remember that the 2001 Altimas had like a $4000 rebate in 2001, because of the new one coming out. I priced one out back then, and with all the options, sans auto, it was $12,xxx. Nissan does not have as good a resale value as Honda Civic. If money is what drove you to the Civic, offer the Altima people $8K and see what they say. If the warranty is your main concern, the warranty on the Altima is probably not manufacturer's, and most likeley not Toyota, because it is not a used Toyota. Read about aftermarket warranties on this site, they are pretty much worthless.

Good luck
  • Options
    rinebirdrinebird Member Posts: 83
    From what I have researched invoice etc this is a good price.
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Hi and Welcome. I just wanted to let you know this is a duplicate posting, so I will delete the other. Hope you have a good experience in your buying experience!
  • Options
    schneider03schneider03 Member Posts: 1
    I highly recommend Apple Honda in York, PA.
    Using Edmunds.com and quotes from 2 other dealers in central PA, I walked off the lot with a lovely Fiji Blue Civic EX Coupe 5M for $15,450 (that's it... no destination fee or any other charges!). They undercut the other 2 dealers by over $200! The sales reps were really low pressure and very helpful. Best car-buying experience I've ever had. Not too mention that they over-valued my trade by $1500. I walked away very satisfied! Thank you APPLE HONDA!
  • Options
    Hi Giantfan,
    Are you in the tristate area?? What dealership did you get this price from? Did you buy it at this price? What OTD price did you end up paying?

Thanks,
    gerri
  • Options
    Hi Fuzzy71,

Sounds like you got a good deal.. Thanks for the name of the dealership. I will definitely get in touch with them, when my friend has her financing in place.

Hope your girlfriend is enjoying the car!

Gerri
  • Options
    acousticgtracousticgtr Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic. I'm in southern california and my price was $14.461 + t&l.
  • Options
    jaa37jaa37 Member Posts: 67
    I posted this a while ago, but I got my 2004 EX sedan with side airbags for $16,167 + tax + DMW fees back in December. I was quoted the price over the Internet. Sales people were helpful, very very low-pressure, and gave me a nice deal. Highly recommended!
  • Options
    was this a 5-speed or automatic?
  • Options
    vjvjvjvj Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy an LX AUTO 4 DR civic in the next couple of days. So far the cheapest offer that I have received is 14450+ttl. Out the door price excluding the registration fee of 2% is 15562$. What would you comment on the deal. Pls reply ASAP so I can expedite my purchase.

Thanx,vj
  • Options
    I second that Fair Honda in Danbury, CT is great. Their internet parts deparment is even greater.
  • Options
    kungfu_riderkungfu_rider Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I'm a 19 year old and I know next to nothing about cars. Right now I drive this pretty beat-up 93 Mercury TOPAZ that has a whole much of body problems. I'm seriously thinking of getting a more reliable car and the cost is really important to me. I saw this pretty descent-looking silver 97 Honda CIVIC DX (with A/C, power steering, AM/FM stereo cassette, Dual front airbags) at a local Honda dealership. Their selling it for $6995. The car already has 93k miles on it. I did some research on the pricing, and this is what it yielded...

Kelley Blue Book Value: $6690 (Dealer retail + excellent cond.), $5130 (private party + excellent cond.), and $4655 (private party + good cond.).

NADA: $5450 minus $225 (mileage deduction) = $5225

Edmunds: $6841 (dealer + excellent cond.), $6253 (dealer + good cond.), $5498 (private + excellent cond.), and $5036 (private + good cond.).

So, where should my starting negotiating point be? Do I negotiate from the lowest price I'm willing to pay or from the highest price down? Forgive me if these sound like stupid questions. I know I have to physically look at the vehicle and make any deductions I find. So should I go like "Hmmm... this car is missing OXOXOX, so [highest price I'm willing to pay] - [deduction amount]. The hood has a dent, [new balance] - [additional deductions], etc.
  • Options
    Offer them $5000 and sound firm. They probably gave someone $3K on trade for this car.
  • Options
    bill100bill100 Member Posts: 175
    If you can land a Civic with automatic trans at 14450 I would take it. I did alot of homework and we just closed on a deal last night.

Invoice: $15261

Dealer Cash: $400

No manufacture to customer rebates.

So if what you say is true well then they are well into holdback. I could not get anyone in my area to budge under $14800.

So if your getting a LX Sedan with automatic and air for 14450 jump on it. If your looking at manual your still alittle high.

Bill
  • Options
    warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    I'm looking for some suggestions from others on this. As you may have read in my previous posts, I have been searching for a 2004 Civic LX with a 5 speed and side airbags in blue. Well, as it turns out, there were only a couple such cars withing a 5 state search area near me. The dealer near my house (McGrath Honda in Elgin, IL) had been trying to get one of the 2 cars that are out there in trade for one of their other cars. They had one of them in Madision Wisconsin that my sales rep was going to pick up, but when he called the other dealership on the phone, they let him know that one of their new sales reps had sold it the day before. Okay...understandable mistake I suppose. No harm done. The other dealer that had the exact car that I wanted was Honda of Lisle, Illinois. My local dealership tried to get them to trade something for the car, but they came back with trade options which they knew could not possibly be met (they were asking for cars that weren't available!). So after going back and forth with them, my sales person finally told me, "Warner, if you have to have the side airbags, you're going to have to buy the car from them, because they won't trade us anything that we can get for it." So relectantly (I wanted the McGrath Honda sales rep to get something for his troubles - he worked with me extensively and went on several test rides with me in different vehicles) I called Honda of Lisle. First I spoke with a normal sales rep, and told him what my offer from both McGrath Honda in Elgin and carsdirect.com was on the car that they had. He told me he'd check on it and call me back momentarily. Sure enough, another sales person (Mark, who apparently is the manager over at Honda of Lisle) gets on the phone with me and offers me the car for over $700 MORE than the quote that I got from McGrath Honda in Elgin! He went on to tell me that it was a very "rare" car and that it was the only one like it in a 5 state area, which was basically true. I explained to him that the reason the car was so "rare" was because not many people want the manual transmission. After a very heated conversation with him, letting him know that he had insulted my intelligence with his crazy offer, I told him to keep his "rare" car and that I would buy the car without the side air bags from the dealer that treated me right. Of course, less than an hour later the original rep from Honda of Lisle called me back asking me how things had gone (claiming that he hadn't spoken with Mark yet to find out from him how it had gone). I told him that they had gone terrible, that I was offended by their offer, and had purchased another car from someone else already (which was partially true). Then he had the gall to propose that I meet them "half way" on the price. I laughed at him and told him that he must not be listening to me - he kept saying "I understand where you're coming from" to which I kept responding "Obviously, you don't, or you'd know that I was not interested in anything other than the offer than I had originally from 2 other sources, but now that I knew how they conducted business I wouldn't buy the car from them if they offered it to me for $1,000 LESS than the other dealer. I also told him that I planned on writing to the Regional manager of Honda explaining what had happened. Now, I KNOW that it's the dealers option of how much they want to take for a particular car, but that was like highway robbery! I told both of the less than scrupulous sales reps at Honda of Lisle that they could have sold the car that night to me....I was fully prepared to come there an pick it up from them, if only they had been fair with me. Honda of Lisle has a decent website that shows their inventory....I'm going to keep track of this blue lx 5-speed with side airbags and see how long they sit on it. If it sits for a month, I'm going to send them an e-mail, reminding them that they could have sold it to me a month ago. :) As far as what I will end up with, the GOOD dealer (McGrath Honda in Elgin, IL) is getting me a blue 5-speed LX without the side airbags. On top of that, they had someone recently buy an EX who didn't like the alloy wheels and opted to replace them with something else (which to me was a bad choice, but it's his car), so they had these brand new EX wheels looking for a home. I believe they are almost $900 if you get them as an option on the LX, but they are letting me have them for $419. My total on the blue LX 5-speed with the EX rims on it is going to be $14,700 (including destination charges). I like the wheels a LOT better than the stock LX covers, so I think it all worked out well. My personal experience with Honda of Lisle should be taken into consideration by anyone thinking of buying from them....after all, they are supposed to be NICE when they are trying to get you to comitt....Lord knows how they treat people after they've taken the plunge already!
  • Options
    Does this price include destination charges (which are around $500)? Does it include side airbags? If you get the car through www.carsdirect.com you can get the 2004 EX Coupe with automatic for $16,379 which INCLUDES the destination charges (but no side airbags, which will add $228 to that price). So without destination charges and without the side airbags, you could get the 2004 EX Coupe with automatic for $15,889 Check it yourself. Build the car on carsdirect then bring the quote with you to the dealer. If they match it, buy from them...if not, but it from carsdirect.

Hope this helps,

Warner
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Good news is that it seems it worked out for the best and you more or less got the car you wanted from who you wanted to buy it from.
  • Options
    bill100bill100 Member Posts: 175
    Yes I agree...

Invoice on a 2004 Honda Civic Sedan (Manual)

$14,531

Looks like you paid $14,281 + $419 for this rims. Was $14,700 your out the door price? Or did you have to tack on the doc fee?

Bottom line is before I switched to automatic my girl had it in her mind she wanted manual. The best I could do was $14250. So you did very well. You dipped into $281 of the $400 dealer cash. Not bad at all. I bought a automatic for $14900 plus they threw in free tires for life(identical to the ones on the car at the time of purchase). The best deal I had was 14800. Dealers would not go any lower. They finally said if you can get lower by all means pick it up from the dealer you found the lower price from. So bottom line is they didn't want to dip into holdback whatsoever. Hope you enjoy your ride.

Bill
  • Options
    The only additional charges that I paid were a $53 doc fee, $15 county tax, sales tax, and $80 to transfer the plates, so a total of about $150 plus sales tax. I think I did well, especially considering the rims.

Warner
  • Options
    What does anyone think about getting the Honda Care Extended Warranty? Is it worth it? Anyone have any experience with using it? I'm debating whether or not it's worth it, and leaning towards getting the 5 year/ 100,000 mile version. Any comments would be welcome, and thanks!

Warner
  • Options
    infoman606infoman606 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Honda Civic LX Automatic for $15,167 +TTL in Seattle
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Service contracts usually do not show the customer a return on their money. The company would bankrupt if they did. I generally do not like service contracts, I'd rather put the $1200 I'd pay for a decent one in savings. If you really want one, however, go with the manufacturer-backed one (in your case, the HondaCare) Be sure to shop around, read the 'warranties' board to get an idea of pricing and others' opinions.
  • Options
    Okay...it's a done deal now. I picked up the car and signed all the paperwork last night. I got a 2004 Honda Civic LX 5-speed for $14,700 including destination fee and a few options.

The cost breaks down like this:

Base Civic LX 5-speed $14,281 (incl dest.)

Alloy (EX model) wheels $419

Splash Guards $0

Wheel Locks $0

(The options RETAIL for a total of $833, so I paid about half price for them)

Invoice on this car with destination fee but not including the options is $14,531 so I think I did well.

Other things that I opted for:

After I thought about it, I did opt to pay for the 5 year/100,000 mile Hondacare warranty. The dealer was asking around $1,200 for this but I negotiated it down to $870 for the zero deductible plan. Maybe this was a waste, but I consider it a bit of additional insurance past the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty period. I hope that I don't have to use it, frankly - it won't hurt my feelings if nothing breaks. And since I only put $500 down on the car, I also opted for the gap insurance which I negotiated down to $400; spread over 5 years of payments at 2.9% finanace rate, it works out to about $7 a month. God forbid something should happen (the car gets totalled or stolen) in the first couple of years of ownership, I'd hate to be out a car and STILL have to pay the difference between what I owe and what the insurance company gave me for it. They wanted a lot more for this, but I was very reluctant to purchase this, but after he dropped down to $400 for this, I figured that for SURE if I didn't get it at that price, something WOULD happen. Maybe I'm a nervous freak, but at $7 a month I didn't think I'd kick myself for getting it, and it may even lower my insurance rate on the car (have to check with my insurance company on that). So, that's my story. I did get the 2.9% financing for 60 months so even with all that additional junk that I opted for and only $500 down on the car, my payment is right at $300 a month.

Warner
  • Options
    I have to thank bueidgod and jaa37 for recommending Fair Honda. They were unbelievable. After researching and contacting all dealerships in about a 90 mile radius, Fair came in with the lowest price. What they also did, was email the price with a breakdown through OTD. No one else I had spoken to, was willing to do that. So I knew that when I got to the dealership there wasnt going to be any unexpected fees. I was doing this for a friend and we drove up there last night. Although a bit of a trek from the city, it was well worth it. My internet contact had left, but had given me the name of someone who would take care of us. He had all the info. He was organized, professional, had patience when my friend changed her mind about the color of the car. This was truely an excellent experience. Plse read my post under Toyota Camry 4/10, #878, for what I went through the first time I did this, for my mother, in Florida. Thats why this experience was amazing to me. Heres how we ended: Ex sedan auto was $16094, plus NYC tax,new license,and small doc fee. I think we got a very good deal.
    If I ever need a car, Fair Honda will be the FIRST place I call!
    Thanks again everybody!!
    Gerri
  • Options
    Does the $16,094 include the destination charges? If so, that's a fantastic deal!

Warner
  • Options
    Hi Warner,

Yes. The breadown was base of $16094.00,$1389 tax,$100.00 new tag, $3.00 lemon law, and $175.00 admin fee. I was very pleased with this. And to top it off with them being so nice!!!

Gerri
  • Options
    Sounds like you got a great deal. You may want to check with your insurance company and see if they offer the gap insurance for less. We have it on our 04 Accord through Progressive at a charge of $40 a year or approx $3 per month.
  • Options
    I am glad it all worked out for you. I wish there were more dealer ships like Fair Honda. Tom and John are excellent. When I was there in January 2003, they had a new girl being trained in internet sales as well. I asusme they do alot of internet sales as they have 3 people doing just internet sales there. I belive if you do "qoute request" here on Edmunds.com Fair Honda comes up for some zip codes.

If you ever need accessories or replacement parts, go to http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com it is a very good alternative to other internet parts dealers because it is on the east coast. If a part is not listed on the website, call them and they will order it for you. Most of the times, they don't even charge shipping as it comes out of the distribution warehouse, and instead of being shipped to them and then to you, they ship it to you directly. I have nothing against the sponsor HandA but it takes a week or more to get parts from Cali to CT.
  • Options
    I worked with Tom on the phone, and Marc when I got there. ( John sat in.) Its nice to see that anyone they hire works the same way; so,if you needed to talk to someone, you would have no problem working with any of them.
    Thanks again!
    Gerri
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Please be careful not to mention salesmen names, only dealership name and location, see top of message board. Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry! :)

Gerri
  • Options
    mystf18mystf18 Member Posts: 10
    I am a 1st time car buyer, and worked thru the internet to get quotes from local dealers. I got to a Civic dealer w/ a quote below invoice, but then they tacked on $800 worth of dealer fees. $300 was for secure etching and $500 of doc fees. I am in the Atlanta area- I feel like this is likely too high. Can some1 plz provide guidance? I think b/c I am a young college student, they are trying to take advantage of me.

Also, I have been scrimping and saving for a long time now, and have enough to pay it all off in cash right now. My college friends say this is enough leverage to get about $1500 below invoice. Any guidance as to whether my cash can make that good a deal?

They also say that I should bargain for total price, not a quote before dealer fees. I think this makes sense. What do you guys think?

Also, what is out the door price? Does that mean including all dealer fees, but before taxes? And is it the same as drive out price?

Thanks SO much for any help. This is such a confusing time for me, and every1 here just seems so nice and knowledgeable, I thought it would be a good place to ask Q's.
  • Options
    I am in the Atlanta area and am curious which dealer you are working with. We have bought several new Hondas from local Atlanta dealers and they all have different doc fees. $800 is high but I know Team Honda in Lithia charges $499 just for the doc fee.

The deal you are able to get could also depend on which model you are looking at. The LX is the volume seller so you should be able to negotiate a better deal on an LX vs. the EX.

It's great that you have enough cash to pay for the car in full but have you considered taking advantage of Honda's special interest rates? It could help establish your credit and depending on what rate your bank has you may be able to earn more interest on your money.

The out the door price should include everything. Taxes, title, doc fees, and any accessories you want added. It is the same as the drive out price.
  • Options
    waynowayno Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2004 Honda Civic 4 door sedan Value Package, without side airbags.

Final "out the door" price (excluding taxes and license) was $13,104.50.

After taxes of $824.27 and plate fees of $150 the total cost to me was $14,078.77

I used Edmunds website to request quotations from local Honda dealers and Courtesy Honda in Sanford Florida was the dealership that I finally bought the car from. I dealt with one of Courtesy's Internet Sales managers.

The whole process was completely painless. I followed Edmunds advice, requesting that the dealerships fax me all of their pricing details. Courtesy were the only dealership willing to provide all of the information requested.

One final note, I began my internet search on Thursday evening May 20th, and I drove home in my new Civic on Saturday afternoon May 22nd.
  • Options
    xraymanrrxraymanrr Member Posts: 34
    what is the difference in price between buying a new base model civic and buying one 3 years old(coming off lease) with a similar dealer warranty?
  • Options
    Tell them to forget the Etch. You have a better option, go to http://www.carsdirect.com and buy the car online. As far as paying cash gives you better deal, I think it is one of the urban legends. Dealership gets paid for servicing a loan, they would prefer you finance. Having you pay in cash does not benefit dealership's bottom line at all.
    If you have $15,000 cash, see what rates you can get on CD's or bonds. ING offers high yield savings at 2.00% APR with no commitment. You can take the money out anytime, they will give you some cash for being reffered by existing customer (PM if interested). Honda currently offers 2.9% APR, and if you have no credit history, you should try to get in on this. With a 50% down you should get 2.9% APR with no problem, and if you are graduating within the next 12 months, you qualify for the lowest promotional APR as per Honda's college graduate program, as long as you don't have negative credit history. I got in on that when I graduated, with no credit history.
    Put the other 50% into a high yeld savings/bonds/CD's and watch your money grow.
  • Options
    erin9576erin9576 Member Posts: 1
    Easiest, least stressful car experience I've ever had. Riverside Honda was wonderful. No pressure, no games. Quoted me a price through Internet/Fleet ... I called to confirm, they did, I went in the next day and now I have it. Took 1 hour. Here's the skinny.

2004 Civic EX Auto, Eternal Blue
    Price quoted: 15694, included destination charge
    Total out the door: 17074, TTL

Very happy with the deal, and the people who worked there -- I only dealt with one person, and she took care of everything, never saw or spoke to anyone else.
  • Options
    fergmaniifergmanii Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to buying a Honda but am planning on a 99-01 Civic LX, possibly EX for my daughter that is going off to college.

As I'm pricing various models it seems that the dealer prices are way above Edmunds/NADA. I certainly expect a certain amount of inflation but as an example, one '99 LX I looked at was $77-7800 and the dealer is asking $9990. Another was an '01 LX that should list for around $10,500 and the dealer is asking $13,500.

Are these ridiculous prices being driven by demand for high mileage vehicles perhaps? Or is this fairly standard for used Civics?

Thanks
  • Options
    laurelgraelaurelgrae Member Posts: 15
    Hi all. I am looking to purchase a new car within the next few months (my first new car so this is a big deal!). I keep going back and forth between Civics/Corollas/ and the new Mazda3. They each have their +/-. I had pretty much decided on a Civic EX sedan with the SAB (safety, price, gas efficiency, emissions). However, after reading the discussions on this board it seems the SAB might not be worth it (don't protect your head at all and isn't that the point?). Not the money so much but since safety is my #1 priority...along with being affordable....Any suggestions. I can wait a little while but not much longer (I have a 90 Subaru!!!) I hear that the 2005 models may have Side curtain airbags and traction control? Or that may be just the Corollas. If I could afford a Prius I would do that but alas...Any suggestions. Prices paid in the PNW would be helpful too. I have a quote for a manual for 16450. It seems people are getting them for much less elsewhere.
  • Options
    The corolla is a nice car---however, it has a uncomfortable driving position. The steering wheel is too far away from the driver. This is not just my opinion. It has been mentioned in several reviews. Check out the April issue of a leading consumer magazine.

The Mazda has bad resale value and may not age as well as a honda.

Buy the Honda. It has great resale value and time proven reliability.

Sell your Suburu on your own.

The first dealer to accept an offer of $1000 under invoice you should buy from. Why are you waiting two months? Interest rates are probably going up and you can get 2.9% now.

Our family just bought two civics in April and both were $1000 under invoice. Dont buy the extras.

It isnt necessary to make this a lingering research project.
  • Options
    I think the prices dealers give you are probably for "Certified used." You can negotiate off those prices, but why bother when a brand new Civic LX can be had for $13K. Read the "prices paid forum" and people have done good, as long as you are willing to sit tight and wait.