Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    Thought I'd jump in on the taxes issue, in part because I'm a little confused what you're asking. Taxes are determined by the state, not the dealer. Therefore, I doubt you'd get anywhere "negotiating" that figure.

What is negotiable: base price of car, dealer accessories, doc fees.

I suggest negotiating in that order. Tell them you're not interested in accessories and negotiate the price of the car as low as you can (preferably with more than one dealer). If you feel like you're getting a good deal at that point, go for it. If not, ask them to throw in some accessories and/or reduce or waive the dealer doc fees.

There are certainly other methods, but this has worked well for me in the past. Good luck!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Drove a brand new Kia Soul, a 2012 Kia Rio and a 2013 Sentra at the auto mall today and was blown away by the Sentra...it's as good or better than the benchmark Elantra, it's simply outstanding! Poised road manners and drives like a much bigger, expensive vehicle, it has all the goodness of the Altima but in a smaller, more refined package! Totally outstanding job Nissan...y'all knocked it out of the park here guys!!! I liked it so much I was very tempted to trade my perfectly good '06 Civic LX with only 37k on the clock! This car is that good folks, that good! It's as good or better than the benchmark of the compact class, the Elantra. This car is good folks, really really good!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stiletto_dudestiletto_dude Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2013
    Hello all,
    Just picked up a new 2013 Civic LX Sedan for $18,975 out the door here in Atlanta Georgia, all taxes and fees included. I worked it pretty hard and think I did OK negotiating this all cash deal, but would like to hear anyone else's opinion. Did I do OK or did I get taken for a ride here?
    Thanks,
    Tony D.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Need to know taxes and doc fees. Looks to be pretty good. Around $17,700?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Sorry, here is the detail:

$16999 vehicle price including destination
    $ 1239 Sales Tax
    $ 41 Tag/Registration/Lemon Law
    $ 699 Dealer Doc Fees
    $18978 out the door
    Dang I'm good. Only two bucks off. :blush:

Got a really low price on car, negated a bit by high doc.fee. Still $17,698 for car is pretty good. Congrats.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • toolshed2toolshed2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm being quoted at $22,000 with summer tires
    Does that sound like a good deal.
  • russharrisrussharris Member Posts: 16
    Name of Dealer please! The EX price sounds too good! I will double check for you to determine if your price was a "come on." Where in NJ?
  • shahsmerdisshahsmerdis Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I got a quote in bronx for

LX for 170 a month for 1800 dollars down. which included bankers fee, tax, first months payment etc.

included to say you can do better?
  • mylt4mylt4 Member Posts: 23
    Hi - The dealer was in Old Bridge NJ.
    The money factor is 0.00107
    The residual is 63%
    The price was a "Costco" price/

Let me know what you think. I think I still have about 5 bucks in the.
  • olyresidentolyresident Member Posts: 1
    $17200 vehicle price including destination
    $ 1513.6 Sales Tax
    $ 85 Tag/Registration/Lemon Law
    $ 400 Dealer Doc Fees
    $19200 out the door

in Olympia , WA. Was negotiating with dealer for a 2012 LX but lowest quote was 18000 OTD and 2013 LX was offered instantly for price I asked for. Took it , happy about it. Was just wondering why he was not ready to reduce a penny more for 2012 but gave 2013 right away for little more price. :surprise:
    Own an '06 Civic LX and am very pissed off that there's no aux connection in this 1st year model...it didn't appear until the '07's were out. Not even a usb connection anywhere either. What can we do to get Honda corp to retro fit our vehicles with this useful feature? Does anyone know who I could contact at Honda corp to see about this. Or where can i start a petition or something to get Honda to work with us owners for some resolution to this matter?

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated as I really want to use my iPod and flash drive in my beloved '06 Civic LX and as of now, I can't an am tired of just cds here.

Help please!!!

The Unhappy Sandman :( :surprise: :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    You can install an aux input in your car -- google "2006 civic aux install" and you'll find out what options you have, something like:
    http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/electrical/111732-diy-aux-plug-install-2006-civic- .html
    Many thanks! Think I'll see my audio guru on Monday to see what he can do. He's amazing, or his workers are who actually do the work, He figures out the logistics though.

• tony58tony58 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    We finalized a deal on a 2013 Civic EX-L 4 door
    249 doc fee
    + taxes
  • technut1technut1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Bought a new 2013 Civic EX Sedan (Dyno Blue) for $20.4K out the door. (Included Taxes, Tag & Admin Fee). It also included some dealer add on /percs like: Engine for Life Assurance, Limited Warranty, Free Lifetime Oil Changes, Mudguards, Wheel Locks, Trunk Boot. My Wifi loves it.
    Doc Fee - $599
    Charlotte NC Tax - $511.83
    License & Tag Fee - $69
    On-line Filing Fee? - $99
    After everthing was subtracted out the adj selling price for the EX was $19,061.16 on the contract.
  • ashjawashjaw Member Posts: 8
    I am in the Philadelphia suburbs. The lowest quote I have received for a 2013 Civic LX auto with no options is $18k. this price includes destination but does not taxes, title, registration. is that a good price? should I wait until the end of the month for better prices? Also, a Hyundai Elantra that is similarly equipped costs way less. does anyone have an opinion whether Elantra is a good alternative?

Thanks!!
    What's the doc. fee?
    Many consider the elantra the better car.
    edited March 2013
    As much as I love my '06 Civic, I'd check out the new Sentra also...rides like a mini Altima which isn't a bad thing! Comfortable seating and a great dash layout...very nicely done by Nissan! I tested the '12 Civic and was disappointed but have yet to try the '13 model. Have driven many Elantra's and they are the new benchmark in this class as far as I'm concerned but the Sentra is damn close! Waiting to see what Toyota does with the new Corolla as they really need a home run here...but if anyone can do it, it's Toyota. A great time to buy in the compact market but I'm waiting till either 2016 or 2017 for my next purchase as I've got under 38k on the Civic.

You really can't go wrong with any of these vehicles and I do like the exterior changes on the '13 Civic. Haven't seen the interior so can not comment on it yet but plan a test drive in the near future. Good luck whatever you decide to purchase...all great rides!

edited March 2013
    Yeah, I was one of those that "considered the Elantra the better car" too and was set on buying one.

Until I drove one.

Compared to the Honda, in my opinion, the Elantra felt much less refined. The engine did not feel as smooth, the way the gas pedal felt under my foot felt more "crunchy". The power steering felt rough. When I test drove the Civic, I could not get over how smooth it felt. The 1.8L engine purred almost as if it were electric, the power steering felt like it was riding on glass bearings (smooth and effortless) and the feel of the gas pedal under my foot was as if it were built on ball bearings. Smooth. Everything felt refined and smooth in the Honda. It was a nice reassuring feeling.

What really hit home with me was when I popped the trunk on the Elantra. Whereas the Honda Civic LX I was looking at had a jack, tire iron and donut spare, the Elantra had: a can of tire goo. Yep, that's right. No spare, not even a donut, just a can of tire goo. Beautiful. I can just picture myself on a dark highway somewhere in the middle of the night relying on this. Forget about getting home, I'd be amazed if it got me to the nearest gas station without riding on the rim.

So yeah, Hyundai gives you all sorts of bells and whistles. But if you think Hyundai is bringing you the mystical "free lunch", think again because I believe you are kidding yourself. They are cutting corners elsewhere under the hood and in the car to make up for those features and fabulous price, you just need to look closer to see it.

Oh and one more thing that weighed heavily in my decision. The Honda 1.8L delivers at or better than its EPA numbers. It does not take a trained monkey with a feather on the accelerator to achieve it. Just Google what Hyundai tried to pull last year with its EPA numbers on the Elantra and other vehicles, and how folks were reporting "distorted" mpgs from their onboard computers compared to old-fashioned calculations. And check out how Hyundai settled the matter. This whole affair left me with a distaste for Hyundai and the way they treated those customers who actually thought they were buying vehicles that were going to get somewhere near 38 or 40mpg.

I would have seriously considered the Nissan Sentra and in fact the very lovely Nissan Altima. I already have two older Nissan Sentras in the family. Except for three little letters now found in almost all new Nissan vehicles: C-V-T.

Do some research into how well Nissan CVT transmissions are holding up, especially if you plan to hold onto the car, and what it costs to repair (rather I should say REPLACE) them. Your eyes will pop out of your head, as did mine. I quickly came to the conclusion that I am going to let other folks ride out the current crop of CVT transmissions for another vehicle generation before I touch it. In fact, my hesitation with regard to CVT reliability is what caused me to go with the Civic instead of the 4-cyl 2013 Honda Accord, which is really a nice vehicle too. So given that Nissan has almost completely migrated to CVTs in their cars, unless I wanted the base Sentra with a manual the Sentra was out for me.

I also looked at the Mazda 323, which was a very pleasurable vehicle to drive, a real hoot. But I am 6'1" 185 lbs and I felt "funneled" and cramped in the front seat, and getting in and out of the rear seats was like playing a game of Twister each time. I had to make sure my feet were positioned just right in order to get them in and out of the rear footwells. As an overall vehicle, the Mazda was great for the driving experience but not nearly as comfortable to me as the Civic was.

At the end of the day, I firmly believe that for an ALL AROUND reliable and pleasurable compact sedan, the 2013 Civic, while not perfect by any means, was the best choice for me.
    I did drive the sentra and altima. Personally, the CVT on the Altima is better than the Sentra. As soon as I drove off the dealer lot during my test drive of the Sentra and stepped on the gas pedal, I could hear the loud drone sound of the CVT. I just couldn't deal with it. The sentra did have great rear leg room and trunk space..I'd say best in it's class. However, the ride quality wasn't as great.
    the 2013 civic ride quality is much better than the sentra. For me the ride quality matters as I keep my cars for over 10 years and want to be happy with what I end up buying.
    I also test drove the Accord CVT and the 2014 mazda 6. The 6 is definitely a driver's car. Since there are only a few available on dealer lots, the price for a auto isport (base trim) is close to $22k. I am not sure I want to spend that price for a mazda 6 regardless of how great it drives.
    The doc fee is $200
    Opinions are like rectums...everyone has one! We have a cvt in my kids Versa SL and it's great and reliable. Will have to try the new Civic but if it's anything like my '06, I'll choose the Elantra and Sentra over the Civic any day of the week. Glad you like your Civic!

Later guys.

• mark2741mark2741 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2013 Civic EX a few days ago and I'm located in King of Prussia, just outside of Philadelphia.

What I did was google mapped every Honda dealer within 50 miles of me, which encompasses from Jersey all the way to Reading, Lehigh Valley, and of course Philadelphia.

I then emailed the following to every one of the 'Internet Sales Managers' that I could find for each dealer:
    At 5pm today I will be buying a 2013 Honda Civic EX, either crystal black or alabaster silver exterior, with gray interior. I will be buying it from the dealer that responds with the best 'out the door' price (including all taxes, tags, and any other costs) by 5pm today. Please provide your best price.

I also had to call a bunch of the dealerships because I couldn't find email addresses for them. Surprisingly, the sales folks didn't try to keep me on the line long - they would just take my request and then say they'd call back shortly. Most did call back with a price within the hour.

Later that day, out of the ~20 area Honda dealerships on my spreadsheet, I had it narrowed down to three with the best price: Sloane up in Northeast Philadelphia, Conicelli in Conshohocken, and Piazza in Pottstown/Limerick. Sloane and Conicelli had the lowest price. The out the door pricing ranged from $22,075 down to the lowest (Conicelli and Sloane's price) - $20,987.

I then took the $20,987 email from Conicelli's internet manager and brought it to Piazza Limerick and talked to a really sleazy salesman there. They wanted $200 more and wouldn't match Conicelli/Sloane.

It was then that I told him I had a trade-in - a 2001 Accord VP with 103k miles and a bad transmission that's been slipping forever. They offered me $2500 for it, but when I balked they went up to $2700 and said they woulnd' tgo any higher because of the transmission (they caught it - I didn't tell them about the tranny).

So I then took that $20,987 and $2700 trade in to Conicelli. I asked Conicelli to tell me what they'd offer for the trade-in. They offered $1800. After a few minutes they matched the $2700 and a deal was struck.

This is pretty common knowledge on the internet but just in case: always negotiate the trade in separately, as I did above.

So, currently in the Philly area, the best price I could get was $20,987 out the door for an EX, in any color I wanted. Keep in mind that is for a car registered in the Philly suburbs, so 2% cheaper taxes than what a car registered in Philly would be.

If you'd like my spreadsheet (it's actually in Evernote, not Excel), I'm happy to share.

I realize you wanted an LX. I did get some dealers that sent me a list that included LX pricing. The best of that bunch was $17988 for a 2013 LX out the door from Piazza Honda of Philadelphia. In fact, if you ask nicely, I could send you the email he sent that contains the internet pricing for all their Hondas.

Good luck!
    Just realized that that $17988 for the LX was the vehicle price and not the all inclusive 'out the door' price. That adds another ~$1400.

Suggestion: don't even bother worrying about 'vehicle price'. It's meaningless. Force them to focus on only two simple numbers, separately: 'out the door' price and trade-in (if you have one). That's it. The rest is all meant to confuse.
    Thanks for that excellent detailed account of your approach, mark2741.

I followed a similar approach down here in Georgia, working about 14 dealers. I ended up getting a 2013 LX Sedan for $18,978 OTD including everything. I already detailed how that number is arrived at in a previous post in case anyone in interested.

Could I have done better on a 2013 LX Sedan? Maybe. But I arrived at the point that none of the other dealers in my area would touch $18,978 OTD.
    Thanks for the detailed post. yes, if you can share the email and the spreadsheet, it will be super helpful. cnj.07080 at gmail dot com
  • jimbo92jimbo92 Member Posts: 20
    BOUGHT A CIVIC LX AUTO SEDAN,OTD FOR 19300,NO DEALER INSTALLED ACCESORIES.LOS ANGELES COUNTY.2 WEEKS AGO.
    Just sent.
  • jimlaxjimlax Member Posts: 2
    Hi...I am in the market for 2013 Civic LX AT...need to close the deal this week. Can you suggest where you got the deal in Los Angeles? Thank you!
    edited March 2013
    Opinions are like rectums...everyone has one!

Yes indeed, everyone does!

Mine (opinion, that is) includes the belief that everyone should at least have a donut spare tire, a jack and a tire iron in the trunk of their brand new car. That's a cost cutting measure that I am not comfortable with.

Something else everyone should have before signing on the bottom line for a new Hyundai is a chance to read the Edmunds forum entitled "Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012". One particularly memorable post was as follows:

"I traded in my 2004 when I heard about the supposed 40/29 Hyundai mpg. If I knew then what I know now I never would have traded it in for the 2012 and would have gotten a Civic instead. Yes I do love the Hyundai styling but am sorry that I went for the Elantra again. I will keep it for now but will be looking to trade it in the future."

For those that remember, 10 years ago Hyundai conveniently "mistated" horsepower ratings on the 2002 Santa Fe, similarly to how they "mistated" the EPA numbers in 2012. Their mia culpa now is the same as it was then. Debit cards that don't even begin to address the level of dissatisfaction amongst customers that felt hoodwinked and deceived.

Just a coincidence?

Caveat emptor people, caveat emptor. And look beyond the online magazine reviews and marketing brochures. Do your research!
    Absolutely do your research and test drive everything in the segment you want. Have driven over 20 Elantra's at work now and they drive flawlessly as compared to my '06 Civic. I'll have to test drive the '13 Civic to really be able to give an honest answer but the '12 that I did drive, was no better than my current Civic, in fact, mine drives better but that could be due to the better tires I've got now. I will go this week to test the '13 to see for myself about it's merits. Right now, I prefer the Elantra and even the new Sentra which to me, rides like a mini Altima...thought it was that good! I also like the dash layout in the Elantra a lot as controls are placed very ergonomically and I like the colors though some may find them a bit over the top. Seat comfort is so much better than my Civic as is the lively acceleration. The new Civic has some big shoes to fill and hopefully they addressed the noise problems I heard in the '12 model and what I have in my '06 one...they are noisy and surer could use some more insulation to deaden the noise.

• jimbo92jimbo92 Member Posts: 20
    BOUGHT THE CAR FROM DCH GARDENA HONDA,CIVIC LX AUTO SEDAN,SILVER.NO ACCESORIES.17400+TAX,TITLE,.REG.DOC FEES.TOTAL 193000.
  • jimlaxjimlax Member Posts: 2
    Appreciate providing the information. Thank You!
  • tofanitofani Member Posts: 8
    Please provide EX Auto price. Only car price paid. Please NO OTD (means nothing to me)
  • jayskeejayskee Member Posts: 1
    Hi mark2741,

I am also from the philadelphia area and is interested in buying a 2013 civic LX or EX not sure yet. Can you please send me your spread sheet so i can get an ideal, my email adress is johnson_phu@hotmail.com

thank you!
  • ks03ks03 Member Posts: 1
    Hi ashjaw.. I too looking for civic LX in NJ...can you pls mail me those price quotes ks_rajs at yahoo dot com....thx
  • hondafan2013hondafan2013 Member Posts: 1
    Wow looks like a good price in MD for Civic EX at 20,100!

Please email me the dealership and salesperson
    to bdkelly1 at comcast.net

the internet price for one baltimore area dealer is 18617 plus tax 6% plus tags $350, and dest 790, and processing 200.

Looks like I could be at ~20100 if they would wave the dest and processing...

Hoping to buy this weekend
  • davidb_vadavidb_va Member Posts: 1
    I paid 17,200 cash price (18200 OTD) for my 2013 LX... I hate taxes and registration/DMV fees, but whatcha go9ing to do?
  • iwannagr8leaseiwannagr8lease Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2013
    Still receiving emails from former dealer and they claim a $3000 NatGas credit card in addition.

Honda Cars of Corona. Listing twelve at that price, one at 23417. Hope this can help someone out.

Need deals in my new region (East/Northeast) for a 2013 Civic (or Accord). Thanks in advance!
  • lakerskobelakerskobe Member Posts: 31
    Paid $17k + TTL

Another dealer offers "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" but they wouldn't budge from $17.8k so it wasn't really free. Plus I normally don't keep cars over 200k so wouldn't need it anyways since past experiences have shown that Hondas are extremely reliable cars.
    Sorry, here is the detail:

$16999 vehicle price including destination
    $ 1239 Sales Tax
    $ 41 Tag/Registration/Lemon Law
    $ 699 Dealer Doc Fees
    $18978 out the door

Price is excellent but $699 doc fee?????? Wow, you got hosed there. Is it negotiable? Thankfully, it is capped at $80 in my state.
  • nelcarnelcar Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I am planning to buy a 2013 Honda civic EX auto in Chicago IL . Can you suggest where to get the deal and the best out the door price? Thanks in advance!
  • iwannagr8leaseiwannagr8lease Member Posts: 42
    GR8 number... any dealer/region you'd like to tip your hat to? ;)

Also, was this a March deal or April? Honda finance or other? Thank you.
  • kasey88kasey88 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a ok deal or can i do better? I work for a supplier so i get supplier discount.

Ohio
    Selling Price 22,566
    Doc 250
    Fees 33.50
    Tax 1597
    Total Price 24446
    Down Payment 1000
    Amount Financed 23,446
    1.9%---5 year loan---409.94 a month
  • mnooralimnoorali Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area...please let me know what prices people have gotten in that area so I can go in to the negotiating table with some reasonable numbers.

Thanks
    $18,970 + TTL @ Honda City Chicago.
    $22,267 at Superior Honda.
    Could've bought for $18.9k.
    So Cal.

March.

Honda Finance.