Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    --- The sales man told me not to tell people how much i paid for this civic. He said if i told other people of $16.8k he'd just deny he ever sold for that kind of price ---

yeah thats why its crazy for people to ask bout salesperson/dealer (day-week-month qotas)

right time, right place

congrats
  • ninissniniss Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. This is first Honda for me, hope i will not regret.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    My '06 LX had been good but with some problems with Honda only paying 1/2 the repairs but to be honest, I won't purchase another and will go with the Elantra Limited for my next vehicle. Our current Accent has been a great vehicle and Hyundai is a very good company, think the Honda guy was way outta line here! After driving the new Civic and Elantra, I just think the Elantra is the better choice! I still like my Civic and plan to keep it a few more years, but no more Honda's for this family...and it was our first one!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

It was a Toyota sales guy actually (not Honda guy). Well, i tried to read the consumer reviews here and in other forums to find out as much info as possible before my purchase, but to be honest, you were the only one gave clear preference for Hyundai. I couldn't make up mind for a long time and that was a really sickening feeling, so finally i just had enough and forced myself to get it over with.
  • smdewartsmdewart Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2013 Civic EX-L with Navigation at Carr's Honda in Chicago. Great salesperson (Keith). $22,800 before $500 financing credit (not publicized or widely available) so basically $22,300 -- not bad I'd say.
  • xdyangxdyang Member Posts: 1
    You paid only 17K+$80? Includes tax or not?
  • goku705goku705 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2013
    Thanks smdewart. So I have some idea how much can talk to the salesman for the EX.

Is that price $22,300 is OTD price?
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    You are correct, I have never purchased a vehicle through True Car. The reason being I have ALWAYS got a better price on my own.

Most recently, last month, I purchased a new Ford. Got the True Car price to use as a starting point. Contacted several dealers and mentioned the True Car price during the negotiations. Got the Ford for about $1,000 less than True Car.

True Car is best viewed as a tool. At a minimum any price from True Car is overpriced by the $300 each dealer pays. However, if you feel you found the lowest price using True Car, so it goes. Both True Car and the dealer are pleased as well.

The truth is simple, while car buying services like True Car, Costco, etc. provide a discounted price and some ease to the buyer, they never represent the lowest price possible. Those services negotiate bulk prices with dealers which are designed to provide a buyer with a price low enough for the sale to be made. This process provides the buyer a false idea of the lowest price. Such services are good for many people but not all.

The fact is the best price will ALWAYS be attained through research and face-to-face negotiation with the dealer. Any idea to the contrary is wrong and self- serving.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    The truth is any fee paid by the dealer is in included in the price of the vehicle. Basic cost accounting dictates the price includes all costs plus profit.

Documentation fees are added by the dealer to confuse buyers. They use the word fee as it sounds official. Truth is such fees are simply part of the selling price.

Overall you seem quite concerned about whether the price you paid was actually the lowest price possible. Truth is since you did not negotiate but simply used some certificate from True Car, I am certain you did pay too much. If only by the $300 you gave True Car by presenting its certificate to the dealer.

And yes, I do know what I am talking about.
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    True Car provides a reasonable price for buyers who do not like to negotiate. True Car never provides the lowest price possible. Example, recently leased an Acura. Used True Car's target price as the starting point. Negotiated the price about $500 less, really only $200 considering the $300 fee the dealer would have paid to True Car had I printed and used the True Car certificate. Used the negotiated sales price as the capitalized cost for the lease.

People who use True Car should recognize they did not get the lowest price but they got a good price. For many that is sufficient, for others not so much.

A car deal cannot be judged solely on price. All aspects of the deal including financing, trade value, dealership must be considered. People who concentrate solely on price are destined to lose elsewhere.
    Wow, that salesman used every trick in the book it seems. The best approach to dealing with an auto salesman is to never believe anything they say. I thought the TODAY ONLY ploy went out with the old four square pad they all used to use.

That the salesman told you not to tell people how much you paid was simply to reinforce the idea you got the deal of the century. While you seem to have found a deal you are comfortable with, which is all that matters, this dealer exhibited many of the games which cars auto dealers in such a bad light for many people.

Actually paying you $50 out of his pocket is an interesting ploy which I have not seen before. Is it legal?
  • bigedfrombkbigedfrombk Member Posts: 21
    Probably paid too much but I just purchased 2013 Civic EX Sedan OTD for $21,000 in New York. Since I have checked this forum for info and prices, I felt it was the right thing to pass this along. Thanks for your help.
    One thing to consider when selecting between a Honda and a Hyundai is Honda vehicles typically retain a higher resale value. That may be perception or reality. However far more people equate Honda with quality. On the other hand, many people remember the Hyundai of a decade ago.

In the end how a vehicle holds up over the years is probably more important than how it feels initially. Honda has a long history of making quality vehicles. Hyundai does not. For that reason alone I would always choose a Honda over a Hyundai.

IMHO it is a bit early to conclude Hyundai is truly now on the same level as Honda.
    Thanks for your comments. I was having sort of buyers remorse in the last few days but I feel a little better now.
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    ---Wow, that salesman used every trick in the book it seems. The best approach to dealing with an auto salesman is to never believe anything they say. I thought the TODAY ONLY ploy went out with the old four square pad they all used to use---

husbands been looking for craigsslist cars and hes sayin even some private sellers use this ---TODAY ONLY --- thing
    I agree with you on the "today only" game. Because i believe that everyone knows about this game, so unless there's some truth to it, the salesman would be too dumb to still using that tactic. I remember i laughed at him when he was saying that so he affirmed, "no, really. I'm telling you the truth." He started to show me his commission slips in his drawer. Anyway, trick or not, that didn't work on me. I finally agreed to buy the car because the number ($16.8k) sounded reasonable based on what i read here in this forum and the edmunds true market value.

Follow-up: 3 days go the dealer started running a special on TV "life time oil change for every honda purchase during this Memorial holiday. My purchase only comes with 1-yr free maintenance, so i called up the salesman and asked for this special. At first he didn't want, saying that i've already got the big discount on price. So i told him he can take the car back if he thinks i got the killer deal. He then asked his manager and they agreed to give it to me. Today i went there and picked up the lifetime oil change write-up.
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    I couldn't agree more. You make several excellent points that buyers would do well to consider.
  • micrainmicrain Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a new Civic LX (auto) in a month or so (Bay Area). In order to get an estimate for the market price of the car, I got some quotes from TrueCar. I actually believed (somewhat naively) that the TrueCar quotes would be the best deals I could get. A few hours after TrueCar's email, two of the dealerships sent follow up emails with even lower quotes! Keep in mind that I didn't even contact them! I got two additional quotes from dealerships in the area. Here are the quotes (incl. destination fee):
    1. $17188
    2. $17288
    3. $17888
    4. $17944
    5. $18722

Given these quotes and other postings, I am planning on aiming for 17k+taxes? Do you think it is a reasonable number?

Thank you very much!
  • newcivic4newcivic4 Member Posts: 1
    This forum helped me figure out a price range for my recent purchase, so I though I'd share some info regarding the new civic. I went to several dealerships and compared OTD (out the door) costs. After a lot of haggling, here is a breakdown of the final price of the Civic I purchased.

Cost of Car : $18,000.00
    Taxes: 1,597.50
    DMV Fees: 317.50
    Rebate: (500.00)

Please feel free to share your thoughts/comments/questions and let me know how I did.

Thanks!
    Good post which reveals the truth about True Car. Like any buying service, True Car is in business to make money. Of course the person who pays True Car that money is the unsuspecting buyer who uses True Car.

True Car provides buyers a somewhat discounted price which may be of value to folks who are not sophisticated about the car buying process. However, for everyone the best deal will always be attained from actual negotiation with a sales person.

The best way to use True Car is to get their target price and then negotiate something less. At a minimum that amount should be $300 less, the amount True Car gets from the dealer for a sale.

Th thing to always remember is nothing is free, ther is always a cost hidden somewhere.
  • pixelvillepixelville Member Posts: 7
    I have been tracking the LX in the Bay Area. The best price I have seen in their marketing emails is $16888 but that requires you to use Honda financing. I believe there is a few 100s$ financing fee. I am targetting $18.7K OTD (8.75% tax) no trade-in, no extras, no financing. So far no one seems to agree (email, phone only). I hate to go to the dealership, but I need to, so they know I am serious.

Let us know what you settle at.
  • jandatripjandatrip Member Posts: 1
    This is really great information! I love the tip about focusing on OTD price & not the vehicle price. Quick question: Does OTD price always include registration fees for the new car?

Thanks!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Yes it does.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • tendencytendency Member Posts: 4
    hi all - we're currently shopping for a new civic LX and want to get your out-the-door price for the SF bay area. thanks for help!

-m
  • tn2013civictn2013civic Member Posts: 6
    anyone have any recent info for the nashville area?
    hi - seems like a very good price to me what do you all think?
    final price for bay area: $16,350 and $18K OTD. i took it..
  • jmyers2jmyers2 Member Posts: 3
    Looks like a great price. Best I am seeing is over $17K

Where was this? Did it require financing?
  • pixelvillepixelville Member Posts: 7
    tendency, this a great price.
    Can you provide dealership name and location where you got the $18K OTD in Bay Area? Was this a 2013 Civic LX Sedan or Coupe? Manual/Auto?
    Also if possible, please break down your price to
    Purchase price
    Accessories
    Tax
    Title, doc fee, etc.
    Also let us know if you had a trade-in or were required to get dealer financing or warranty, etc.
    Thanks!
    anyone have an update?
    El Cerrito?
  • michaelscaimichaelscai Member Posts: 75
    I'm looking to buy a 2013 civic LX in the Los angeles area, where do I get a good deal and what's a good price to pay?
    edited June 2013
    I had $16200 from two SF area dealers on Trucar. One ballooned to 19,800 OTD, the other never gave me a total. There should be a $500+ credit if you finance
  • akhtar1akhtar1 Member Posts: 22
    Bought Civic LX Silver with Black Interior yesterday June 29.
    $16573 (including destination)
    $17543 (OTD) -$500 (honda financing)
    Final price $17043.

Pohanka of Fredericksburg in the Washington DC area. No other dealer came within $500 of that price
  • micrainmicrain Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    So, I just got the car yesterday. I bought a red civic sedan lx from San Francisco Honda. I managed to get the promotional 0.9% APR through Honda so didn't even put a down payment. OTD was $19,033 (sales tax is for Santa Clara county) with the breakdown being $17,100 (incl $500 financing rebate and destination fee) for the car plus doc fee ($80), taxes, title and registration.

I negotiated solely through email & phone by contacting the dealerships in the area. They were typically beating each other's prices by $100 every time I called/emailed. Eventually, I decided it was time to stop negotiating and buy the car since I need it to commute to work now :)

I must post a warning for the shoppers in the Bay Area. Please avoid the Victory Honda dealership in San Bruno. After getting the $17,100 quote from SF Honda we saw them on the way and decided to check if they could beat it. They claimed that I didn't qualify for the promotional financing rate and the lowest they could give me was 3.9% APR which was a flat out lie. They also tied the sales of the car to our purchase of extra services such as extended warranty, etc. I understand that the price might be too low for them but why lie? I will give a call to Honda to complain about them. Let's see how it goes.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else out there!
  • finbar127finbar127 Member Posts: 4
    2013 Civic LX Auto - no other options. Silver w/Black Fabric. 0.9% Honda financing.

MSRP: $19,755
    Invoice: $18,423
    Sale Price: $17,538 (includes $790 Destination and $75 Doc Fee)
    Tax: $1,462.53
    DMV Fees: $203 (Title, 2 year reg, inspection, NY waste tire fee)
    OTD: $19,203.53

Contacted 12 dealers in my area. Most wouldn't come anywhere near this price. One came within $300.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Which Dealer?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kewlajkewlaj Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    Hi Akhtar1,

Does your price include any rebate like recent grad or military and did you get 0% APR.

I'm shopping for Civic LX in norther virginia and trying to get some quotes.

Thank you.
    Honda of New Rochelle. I sent an e-mail and received an email response with the quote from the Internet Manager. I brought the e-mail with me when I went to finalize the deal. The salesman reviewed the email, checked the computer and sold me the car for the quoted price. No problems at all. A surprisingly stress free experience.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Cool. Good to know. They advertise a ton in the papers. The lease on my current ride isn't up until next summer, but I might buy another Honda because there is nothing out there that wows me. If I do, it would be the 4th Honda in my stable. My current 3 are my 2001 Prelude Type SH, my wife's 2011 Pilot EXL W/ Navigation, & my 160 CC lawn mower;). I live in Stamford, CT but am willing to travel to Westchester or LI for a smokin deal.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ashu10ashu10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Has anyone bought the 2013 Honda civic LX in NJ area. I am planning to buy one. The dealer quated me 18400 base price. I guess i can go lower. Can anyone please help.
  • ashu10ashu10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Did you buy Sedan or Coupe? I am intrested in 2013 Honda civic sedan automatic, they quoted me sales price 18,423(includes $790 destination)

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak with a Baby Boomer who recently (within the last year) purchased a compact or subcompact car. If you can assist, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your preferred contact information by July 17, 2013
  • shop4accordshop4accord Member Posts: 6
    What is the best deal in the Bay Area on a 2013 Civic LX (auto)? Has anyone gotten 18K or lower OTD?
  • shop4accordshop4accord Member Posts: 6
    tendency,
    Could you share more details, please?
  • kitty0315kitty0315 Member Posts: 1
    Initially I was looking to buy the LX model. I went online and received three different Internet quotes from honda dealers in the northern Virginia area, which ranged from 19,100 to 19,500 (the out the door price). Then my dad just happened to stumble across Pohanka Honda in Fredericksburg website. The saleswoman I spoke with said that they one had one LX model left and it was a manual (i cant drive a stick shift,so that wasn't going to work), but said she could offer a competitive price for an EX model. Since we were chatting online I wanted to hear this competitive price and she came back and said the out the door price with taxes, fees and tags was 19,287.15. I took her up on the deal. Drove 40 miles to Fredericksburg, signed at 19,287.15 with 0.9 financing and drove home with my new Honda Civic Ex :) Feels good knowing I got a great deal. Hassle free buying experience would buy again from them!
  • mike_homemike_home Member Posts: 17
    What prices have people been paying for a 2013 Civic EX or EXL sedan? I am interested in the price with destination charges but before sales tax.

I am also interested about the buying experiences of any Honda dealers in the central New Jersey area.
    kitty - could you give the breakdown please?
  • emilemaemilema Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2013 Civic EX today for 19800 OTD in Maryland. Not the lowest price on the forum, but this was the lowest price I could find in MD and VA.
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I bought the sedan. $18,423 is the invoice price for the sedan. You should be able to find a lower price.