Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• whodey17whodey17 Member Posts: 2
    There was a $500 dollar "Loyalty" for having another honda. But they added $500 onto the car so they would get reimbursed by Honda for it. So it was really a wash.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    That is one odd loyalty incentive where they give it to you and take it back - puzzling to me. But you still got a great deal - congrats.

Bill
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • ssspb13ssspb13 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

Thanks all for your info. Help me a lot. I have a question.

A dealer offered me a fair price 19,070 via an email so far and I used this price to ask B dealer if B could offer me a low price. But B was asking me to show him A's price in writes and seems B doubted I threw a fake price to him (It might be called low-ball price? I am not sure).

Could you guys give me some suggestions?

Bests,

CC
    You need to go back and read the last couple months posts in this thread - that quote is not competitive at all. Is that an out the door quote? If so, please post a detailed breakdown of selling price and fees.

Bill G
  • ssspb13ssspb13 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for your message.

This is OTD.
    Invoice price: 17,290
    total: 19,053

BTW, I am in Orange county CA. I did read the last couple months posts and OTD 19,000 seems a good deal, isn't it?

CC
    I guess I was confused by your original post - you stated "fair price" and said nothing about out the door. Invoice price for this car is around 18,300 incl destination, so if you are saying you paid 17,290 incl destination, before ttl (I'm still not sure what you paid due to lack of itemized listing), then that's a good price. Others are reporting 1500 below invoice but 1000 below is pretty good too.

Congrats and enjoy your new Civic - they are great looking cars.

Bill
  • 2012_civic_lx2012_civic_lx Member Posts: 5
    I think 19K out the door is still high considering they 2013 model is almost a week old. by now, it should be between $17-18K. I got my 2012 civic lx sedan on april 26th, just a week or two after the 2012 model was introduced. no coupes available yet that time. i was actually planning to get a 2011 model but all dealershipe i went to only have few colors which I didn't like. i got an offer of 17.5K out the door. but was talked into getting the 2012 model for less than $21K otd. i really had to get a new car that time since family was visiting in less than 3 weeks and my old ford focus car was acting up and needed frequent repairs. i could have gotten a bit lower otd had I haggled. but the sales guy was professional and we both understood that there's no need for number games. I got a lower APR because of the Honda graduate program. It would have been 0% APR had I gotten the silver 2011 lx sedan at $17.5k. But since I took the "week-old" model they can't give me 0% APR. i got 5% APR which isn't bad for first-time car buyers. teh car i got was delivered to them on a monday and i drove it home 2 days after.

Some advice when buying new cars:

1. Get online quotes from at least 10 nearest dealers. Ask for OTD. Some will respond, some will just give you the MSRP.

2. Visit at least 3-5 dealerships in person after knowing the lowest number.

3. Tell them right away not to run credit check. Negotiate first and ask them to print a copy of their number

4. Once you are convinced with their final number, ask them to add extras like free oil change, road side assistance, window tint, accessories, etc..

5. It might be a good idea to shop around the end as much deals as possible.

Hope this helps.
    Not sure I understand your "week old" concept but to get a 2013 Civic LX for $17-18k out the door in CA, the purchase price would need to be around 2-3000 below invoice. That just is not going to happen. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusions stated in your post, but you might want to reevaluate your source/s.

Bill G
  • orangetreeorangetree Member Posts: 1
    At the end of September I purchased a 2013 Civic LX Sedan - Automatic in Richmond, VA as a cash purchase as follows:

Vehicle: $16,923
    DMV Fee: $61
    Proc. Fee: $399
    Sales Tax: $728
    OTD: $18,111

I emailed the Internet sales managers at all dealers within 50 miles and the above price was the lowest I was quoted. The highest was about $900 more. I believe developing a specification for the model you want and emailing it to all the dealers in your area is the best way to get a good deal on a new car. I learned to do this on this forum - thank you all!

Charlie
    Congrats on the new Civic Charlie - pretty good deal at 1100 below invoice when you factor in the 399 dealer doc fee. Your sales tax rate is pretty reasonable - about half of what we pay in CA - really helps your ultimate out the door.

Enjoy the new car!

Bill G
  • muki1muki1 Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up a 2DR Civic Ex for $18227.80 OOD. Below is the breakdown so it might help others:

Purchase Price: $17270
    Dealer's Fee $ 200
    VA Tax $ 742.80
    Temp Reg Fee $ 15 [VA Resident buying in MD]

Total: $18227.8

Dealer: Shockley Honda
    Sales Person Jon Price (Highly Recommended)

Thanks.
  • betty65betty65 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    Just walked out with 2013 Honda Civic LX automatic in Atlanta OTD $18,300.
    MSRP $19755
    Purchase price $16,500
    Doc fee $599
    Tax $1,228

Gwinnett Place Honda.
    Sticker Price (MSRP): $21,605. Automatic Transmission.
    Just curious - what is it about this deal that allowed you to achieve about 2600 below invoice when most everybody else is getting around 13-1500 below? Please let the forum know how you were able to negotiate this. Also, clean deal or was a trade involved?

Bill G
    Pretty good deal - about 1300 below invoice when the 599 doc fee is factored in.

Enjoy your new Civic!

Bill G
  • civichuntercivichunter Member Posts: 3
    Bought my last CIVIC in 1990 and need to get back into the market. Have enjoyed reading the posts and had a question, how does one get started in gathering quotes from a group search of dealerships?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    So, purchase price was really $17,100 to be honest here as that $599 was still part of the price even though they call it a different name. I hate these fees that's why we always do an OTD price and I let them fill in the numbers anyway they like as long as we have the same OTD. Had this issue back in '06 when I bought my Civic and I thought I got a super super deal when it turned out to be a just o k deal because they tried to confuse with these two figures and two different salesmen. Once i got them to stop the nonsense and be straight with me, I got the truth and though I did buy the car, I learned a valuable lesson and since then, if I feel ambushed or the slightest bit confused, I just get up and walk out. They have always come after me and given me what I wanted since I do not like to play games and always try to give an honest price where they make something and I feel like I got a good deal because the store has to make a certain profit to stay in business and I as the consumer need to know that I got a good deal on the vehicle. When both sides are happy is it a win/win for all.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited October 2013
    It was a clean deal. No trade, no down. Just signed the papers and walked away with 0.9% Honda Financing.

I tried to work with an honest dealer. Tried not to be picky about any particular color. Tried not to be rushed. I told my final price based on my shopping around and it took them about 2/3 weeks before then can find a car with that price.

Only met the salesman once during the signing. All the negotiation was done either by phone or email. Stay away from the dealership, they will confuse you with magics.

Also I don't pay much attention to the Invoice price. Legally they are not bound to share their business's bottom lines. They can try to convince you that what you are looking is an invoice price but unless you are an insider, you are being lied on.

Followed this forum and tried to find out what people are paying before Tax, Title, Registration and Dealers Fee and figured out the percentage amount discounted from MSRP.

If you can pay 80% of the MSRP as the base price (Including Destination Charge)and then add the Registration/Tax/Title/Dealer Fees then you would probably drive home happy.
  • tulo2lowtulo2low Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I am from western oregon and am shopping for a 2013 Honda Civic LX Automatic Sedan. I requested quotes from 5 local dealers through edmunds and am disappointed after reading the prices in this forum.

The best quote I received is 17,899 including destination fees after $500 incentive cash. And this doesn't include dealer fees. I thought a TrueCar certificate might help but it says target price is $18,934. I feel like I don't have a good starting point to negotiate from. Any advice for starting negotiations?

Thanks
    Alex
    Well your patience paid off big time - that's one of the best, if not the best deal I've seen on a 2013 Civic. Thanks for sharing your technique - its sure to help us all out.

Congrats and enjoy your new Civic!

Bill
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    My thought is you will always get the best deal in person, not thru internet. Offer what you want to pay, if they say no, bump up a couple hundred or go to the next dealer.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Take the MSRP from the window sticker including the Destination Charge and multiple it by 0.8.

Dont pay attention to dealer's addendum for the window sticker price. I seen some dealer would add some accessories and try to add a heavily marked up price for that right next to the window sticker. Find a car that has nothing installed from the dealer. If you would like to add any accessories then tell them after the negotiation is done. They typically have a 200% markup on those installation.

You will add Tax/Title/Registration/Dealers Fee on top of that.
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2013
    My thought is you will always get the best deal in person, not thru internet. Offer what you want to pay, if they say no, bump up a couple hundred or go to the next dealer

big big agree. last two leases after all the research, thanks to youall here on edmunds and car_man and ridewithg and sum other sites, was onestop shopping
  • tulo2lowtulo2low Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new civic from McMinnvile Honda. The salesman was very reluctant to budge on the price but I was able to negotiate the value of our trade up a little. To us, the trade-in vehicle was absolutely worthless. He offered $400 but I talked him up to $750

Vehicle: $18399
    DMV fees: +348
    Flex Cash Incentive: -500
    Competitor Incentive: -500

Total Price: $17747
    After Trade OTD $16997
    Congrats on your new Civic - you guys are so lucky not to have sales tax!

Bill G
  • 2beinformed2beinformed Member Posts: 15
    Moved from the Accord thread to the Civic since this one is at least 5k cheaper. I was offered $19,112 before TTL in SoCal. It will be way over $21k OTD. Is this a decent deal? I told the salesman that I'm not willing to pay over $20k and asked him to take depreciation value into consideration and offer me a better price. He said it's already below $1,500 and it's the best time to buy right now and that there won't be any discount on the 2014 until this time again next year and by then the 2015 will be available already (seems like he implied that I'll never be able to make a purchase if I keep thinking that way - which is somewhat true :( I don't intend to waste their time but they keep on checking back with me if I'm still interested even though I've given them my target price. What to do...
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Price difference between base Accord and Civic is about $3.5k.

Dealership feels your insecurity on whether to buy or not. They'll go down or they wouldn't keep calling. Tell them what you'll pay in a firm confident manner, if they can't give you that price, say you understand, and will search elsewhere. Don't worry about wasting their time. Your a serious buyer.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    2 - invoice on a 2013 Civic EX Sdn is about 20,150 so they are quoting you about 1000 under. Don't know what that 1500 in your post means. If you offer 18,600, which is 1500 below, you're at around 20,600 out the door. I'm not sure you can get to 20,000 - our sales tax is pretty steep. If you haven't already, touch base with Spreen Honda, Loma Linda Internet Dept - they usually have aggressive pricing. Watch for unwanted add ons though.

Bill G
    That's why I wanted the salesman to lower his price of $19,112 but he's claiming it's a big discount of $1,500 (perhaps from MSRP?) I didn't mean $20k as in 20,000 flat but as in under 21k. I thought they'd be willing to sell since they have a lot of 2013 left but surprisingly no one's willing to go under $19k...whyyyyyyy?
    I think we talked about this before, but are you getting quotes from multiple dealers? There are a lot of Honda dealers in SoCal - you should be able to get this vehicle for around 1500 under invoice. Spreen and Cerritos are a couple that usually have aggressive pricing. Keep at it - you will get there.

Bill
    Just received their quotes this morning. Honda Civic Sedan EX is $18,601 before TTL. I asked for OTD price but the salesman gave me the equation of "price quote + tax + license + registration (10%). Not sure how to calculate it correctly. Is tax before Doc and License fee or after?

Sale price = $18,601
    Doc = $80
    Lic = $273.75
    Total taxable: $18,954.75
    9% TAX = $1,706
    OTD = $20,660.75 ??

Need to confirm with you guys before I agree to drive all the way there to make the purchase. Thankss
    Received an OTD price of $19,646 for the 2013 EX after $500 Flex and $500 Loyalty program. I was so happy that I booked an appointment to buy it tonight! Then an hour later, I received another call saying it's a price mistake. The final OTD would be $20,646 instead. I was disappointed that in the end he couldn't even offer $20,500 OTD like he promised. After that, I didn't want to leave work an hour early and jump over all these hurdles to make it in time before the manager leaves. I was told the offer is only good for tonight but it's such a short notice for me to get all the required documents. I canceled the appointment and now he said I could come any time tonight instead of 7:30pm. I feel cheated... Am I over thinking it? Should I try to negotiate? Should I just move on to the next dealership?
    Where does it stand now? If you are at 20,600 out the door, that's about 1500 below invoice selling price - not a bad deal. Where did they come up with those incentives? Did they explain how the mistake was made?
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    Personally, I'd walk.

The disclaimer here is that I am stubborn (perhaps unreasonably so) and tend to act out of principle. In that situation, it's not about the numbers; it's about them screwing with me. I'd walk and find the same deal somewhere else.
    Yes - its always suspicious when a dealer offers up some great incentives and then says oh oh, we messed up. That's why I am curious as to how exactly did the so called mistake happen. But if the quote of 1500 below invoice is legit, it's a pretty good price.

Bill G
    I agree, Bill. $1500 below invoice is a pretty good price. And the bottom line probably should be the bottom line. If the buyer is headed out the door with a price he/she feels good about, perhaps it shouldn't matter what happened to get to that point.

My problem is that, for me, it does matter. I place a high premium on honesty. If I walked out with that deal, my satisfaction would be tempered by the thought that perhaps I was lied to. I wouldn't recommend that dealership to friends/family, and I wouldn't return there for service.
    What I'm going to say is probably going to make you guys pull your hairs out. I decided to get the car anyway, $20,495 OTD as promised ($500 flex, $500 loyalty) 0.9% for 36 months. I knew I didn't want Gap insurance or the extended warranty. And then I was introduced to this car alarm system (Karr). Long story short, I believed that my car would get broken into and stolen, assumed that the new car doesn't come with alarm, so I got it. $30 extra to my monthly payment, a total of $900. I asked him to lower it and he said he can't; he's a single dad raising a lil girl and he has to make a living and showed me her pictures..so I backed off. Overall, I didn't get any free add-on and overpaid for this blue flashing light in my car. I know it would've been a decent deal if I had rejected everything the finance guy offered but I was mislead - my fault. If anyone is having buyer's remorse like me or feeling upset, just think of it like a donation to make up all the losses they might have had with the below invoices transaction s...I'm going to tell myself that so I can find peace. I don't want stress! WARNING! DO NOT GET KARR SECURITY SYSTEM!
    Hey - don't beat yourself up over this. You got a great car at a pretty good price. Tuck the car alarm info away in your knowledge base and remember it the next time. Read your manual to become familiar with how the maintenance minder system works. In addition to regular oil changes, I recommend doing a drain and refill on the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles - its only about 60 bucks (20 if you do it yourself) - this will make sure you always have fresh fluid - don't do flushes. Learn how to change your cabin filter and engine air filter yourself - you can get them for about 10-12 bucks - the dealer will try to charge you 60-70 bucks each. Change out your brake and power steering fluid every couple years.

You did good - enjoy your new civic!

Bill
    Hey, it happens to even the most seasoned buyers. I've never made a major purchase that I didn't second guess after the fact. Turn the negatives into lessons learned, then forget about it and enjoy the car! You'll make other major purchases and be a better buyer with each one.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,076
    Exactly - the exhilaration of the new car should last long after any pain from the purchase process has passed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• burbdriverburbdriver Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a Civic LX Sedan, automatic. Sticker is $19,755, what should I be shooting for as a purchase price? I do qualify for Conquest. Is there additional Flex Cash for financing with Honda? Invoice looks to be $18,423. In Missouri, TTL is paid later at the DMV, so my OTD price will be strictly the vehicle price plus doc fee. Thanks for your help.
  • rrrmarrrma Member Posts: 2
    All,

Just bought the 2013 Civic LX Sedan yesterday with OTD 18,300. Is this a good price?

Thanks,
  • bh_civic_2013bh_civic_2013 Member Posts: 3
    2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan
    Vehicle Price: $20,251
    Doc Fee: $249
    OTD: $20,500

I realize I could have probably gotten the price a bit lower. This was my first car purchase but, I did not take any extras from the dealer.
    What was your purchase price before TTL (tax, title, license)?
    Have you completed this purchase yet? These cars are currently going for 12-1500 below invoice. Invoice is around 20,200.

Bill G
  • blleadonblleadon Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, the following is an internet quote I received after inquiring online in the Houston area. How does this deal look?

Civic EX Sedan MSRP $21,605.00
    Internet Price**$17,835.00 
    Destination and Handling$790.00
    Honda Protection Package (wheel locks, splash guards and cargo tray)  $339.00
    State Sales Tax 6.25%  $1,185.25
    Vehicle Inventory Tax  $39.88
    License Fee  $64.25
    Inspection & Title Fee $61.75
    Documentary Fee $125.00
    Drive-Out $20,440.13
    Yes, I bought the car for that price. Again, I realize I may have been able to get the price lower, but I am fine with the price I paid.
    Congrats - enjoy your new Civic EX - they are super cars!

Bill G
    Thanks, Bill! Even my better half is enjoying it despite that it is an automatic - haha!
  • burbdriverburbdriver Member Posts: 2
    Pulled the trigger on a Civic today. MSRP was $19,755 and I paid $16,950 including doc fee, plus TTL. That includes getting the color combo I want brought in from another dealer. Should be able to pick it up the next day or two. Will make a fantastic first car for my son.