Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• holenone79holenone79 Member Posts: 20
    I dont think this is a good deal at all. we bought the exact same car in April for 14,000 plus tax and license. This price was readily available from two out of four dealers I shopped in Arizona.
  • lisablisab Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, this gives me real information. I was this close to buying the same car at end of July for 15,300 + Tax + tags (written price quote -- including destination charges & fees)in metro NY -- so I know I can probably get $15,000 now.

Thanks.
  • zazazaza Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, I thought so too but was just afraid to lose a deal which already $300 cheaper than what a local dealer here quoted me. In that case, if he's still insists on the quote do you think I should just ask him to throw in the Convenience Package, security system, and engine block heater or no deal at all? The tax is pretty high already here (7.25%) so even if I don't get those accessories installed, I'd be happy to be able to go down to $14K because the total is within the range I'm willing to pay. Is there anybody in this forum from Columbus OH with similar buying experience from Honda East or any other dealers?
  • paelafpaelaf Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted $15,300 on this car (including destination charges) + TTL. After looking through what other people have paid, it doesn't seem out of line to ask for $14,500. But I've never bought a car before... is this too big a jump? What do you think a realistic price is to ask for?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for consumers who have traded in a paid-off older vehicle for a new(er) one. Did you trade in because of repair costs, or worries about reliability or safety? Was the peace of mind worth the cost (payments, depreciation)?

Please send your brief thoughts and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com by September 20, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ar_beear_bee Member Posts: 1
    I've read several post here that said they will wait til 9/15 to purhase a new civic. What is 9/15? Wouldn't dealers offer a good price this Labor Day weekend since you usually try to push to sell during holiday weekends?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    There is no set release date, but generally Honda releases next year models after the middle of September. When dealers have 2005's on the lots, you have an edge if you want to buy a 2004, as it is 1 year old by now.
  • jlm1955jlm1955 Member Posts: 9
    I have a quote for a new 2004 Honda Civic LX for $15,342 out the door (includes tax, tag, etc..). I can get a new 2004 Saturn ION2 for $13,900 out the door. The cars are pretty similar in options. The ION2 has a sun roof and a in dash 6-CD changer.

What do you think? Is the CIVIC worth the additional $1400? Am I getting a good price on the CIVIC?

THanks,
  • paelafpaelaf Member Posts: 2
    Where did you get that quote from? No one around me has quoted less than 15,261, and that doesn't include TTL.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Are you sure you don't work for Huntington Honda?

If your story is for real, I hope you called the GSM or the owner and related that story!
  • mindspinmindspin Member Posts: 1
    Nope, I swear I don't work for them, this is 100% for real. Honda of America is getting a letter as is the manager of Millennium Honda and the owner of Millennium Auto Group...
    Hopefully that employee has already been fired.
    The cars are flowing, they are just selling so quickly we don't have inventories on hand. If you want to buy an LX Civic from me today, you will have a choice of Atomic Blue or Silver. You would take delivery late next week when the car arrives.

Other stores will vary, of course.

Toyota sells cars en masse to the rental car companies and Honda doesn't do this. That is a major reason why they move more cars. Trouble is, resale values are affected when these cars are dumped a year or so later.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    Does anyone know when the 05 will be available for purchase? My son is in the market for an EX.
  • jaa37jaa37 Member Posts: 67
    I bought an '04 Civic EX sedan with side airbags back in December for $16,167 (not incl. tax and tag), but this past weekend some crazed woman sideswiped me on the freeway and destroyed my car. I haven't heard from Geico whether they think it can be fixed, but I doubt it. My question is, what kind of price can I expect on an '04 EX right now? I'm even considering a hybrid, which I almost bought last time. Any ideas on the hybrid or the EX? Thanks.

P.S. I bought from Fair Honda last time--they were fantastic.
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    Bummer, but you may be putting the horse before the cart. Unless they had to pry you out with the jaws of life, your car is probably repairable. You would be surprised how far they will go not to total a car out. Good luck!
    A reporter is interested in speaking with someone today (Wednesday, Sept. 8) who shopped for or purchased a new vehicle in August. If you would like to discuss why you decided to buy a new vehicle, or started looking for one, in August, please contact Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with your daytime telephone number. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yeah, you could be right. I just want to be prepared--the front and right side are totally crushed and the axle is snapped in two. Any thoughts on what would be a good price for an EX or a hybrid?
  • mechyudamechyuda Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

I thought it was pretty high, but a friend said they had a good experience over there.

At Cush Honda of Escondido, San Diego:
    2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    +Fog lamps, mudguard, and door edge guard
    Color: Red

$17,596 +tax and license.

The dealer said Factory Invoice was $16720.
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    My neighbor just bought a new silver civic LX and not two weeks later he wasn't sideswiped but crushed. Someone on the highway collided with him and forced his civic into the car in front of him.

From what he told me, all but one or two panels had damage, there was mechanical damage, the frame was bent, the front seats no longer slide on their tracks, etc. The car would have needed $16K of damage to be totalled but the insurance company only paid the damages - something like $9K. And gave him back his car. He compared it to re-using a crumpled and straightened out tin can - no can do. So he had decided to trade it in for an EX even before picking it up at from the shop. On his way from the repair shop to the dealer to look at a new EX, smoke started coming from under the hood (but stopped shortly thereafter) and the airbag light went on on the dash. He gave the dealer some story, they took his trade and when he returned the next day to swap cars, the check engine light went on! He drove that EX away QUICKLY!

A couple weeks of pulling carfax reports on that car showed that it looked clean as a whistle - the major collision and insurance claim hadn't yet hit, nor had the DMV or police accident report. He has a new EX for only about $3 out of pocket additional costs.

Hopefully the dealer dealt with the problems before re-selling the car to an unsuspecting used car customer but who can know? Lessons learned: 1) beware of used cars - if it looks too good to be true... , and 2) if you have major collision damage, trade it in as quickly as possible and count your blessings.

Elissa
    Hopefully that story included what had happened to that Civic?
    So the appraiser called me today--the car is a total loss. I'm sad, but I suppose it's better than (as a recent poster pointed out) trying to fix it and then worrying about it breaking down. Anyway, I'm planning on getting another 2004 4-door EX (w/side airbags if I can find it). I paid $16,167 in December, so shouldn't be able to beat that fairly easily now, with the 2005s arriving? Thoughts?
    How much is your insurance company going to give you for your car?
  • atlcarbuyeratlcarbuyer Member Posts: 11
    Hi people,

I know people are always asking questions on these forums, here's my turn. Any help would be appreciated.

I've gotten these internet offers so far:

Gwinnett Honda offered a 2004 Civic vP auto 4-dr (no sab)

$12667 base
    $490 dest
    $390 doc
    $31 title

Ed Voyles offered a 2004 Civic 4p auto 2dr

for

12500.00 base
    $ 490.00 Dest
    $ 398.00 Processing Fee
    $ 21.00 Title

I have tried to go back to these folks a few times with the "but I saw cheaper on edmunds 6 months ago routine" and they seem to be not having it. I have also hammered them on the 05s being out next week. And yes, $399 is an outrageously inflated bs fee.

I am trying to get as close to $12,000 base as I can...if I can do that I'll pay their stupid fees. This is turining out to be a chore.

Advice, help, please?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I think both prices are pretty fair although you can probably do a bit better. I have bought multiple cars from both dealers. I am curious if you are working with the same internet salesperson that I worked with at each dealership.

Anyways, go there and try to negotiate a little more. You will have a little more clout if you are there ready to buy today. Personally, I feel I have gotten the best deals at Gwinnett but Ed Voyles is pretty close. Have you tried Hennessy or Team? I have bought from both of them as well and Hennessy is great while Team would be my last pick ahead of only Lanier Honda.
    They haven't told me yet how much thy're giving me. I tested a Mazda3 today and really liked it--I might go for that instead if I can get a good deal on it. I have an offer for $16,000 (not incl. tax and tag) for a 4-door EX, so I think I could get a few hundred below. Is it worth it to pay an extra $1500 for the Mazda? I can't decide...
  • atlcarbuyeratlcarbuyer Member Posts: 11
    I was quoted $16,600 including destination and fees for an 04, I think unless you're talking an 05 you're paying too much
    Okay...I am looking at a 2004 Civic EX 4-door without side airbags for $15,900. Is that a good deal? Can I do better?
    I have an offer for $16,000 (not incl. tax and tag) for a 4-door EX, so I think I could get a few hundred below. Is it worth it to pay an extra $1500 for the Mazda?

Did they include any rebates in the Mazda price?

A while back I responded to someone stating that Honda's were expensive. If the price on Mazda3 is indeed $1500 more than comparable Civic. My rebuttal was correct, that when comparing similarly equipped Honda and other makes, Honda is cheaper. Even if others offer rebates.
    The Mazda has no rebates right now, at least none that I qualify for. I could get a Mazda 3 i with ABS, side airbags, side curtains and power everything for $16800 or so. An EX with side airbags would probably run me $16200 or so. So maybe it is worth it to spend a little extra for the additional horsepower and handling...
  • runchaprunchap Member Posts: 1
    My '02 Civic coupe has 37000 miles on it. I'm thinking about trading it in for a Certified '01 Sentra. What are the pros and cons of "trading down"?
    So maybe it is worth it to spend a little extra for the additional horsepower and handling...

If you don't HAVE to have the new car right now, you can save $1500-$2000 later on, when the rebates are available again on the Mazda3.

At one point in the past, Mazda was offering rebates AND subsidized financing on their cars.
    My '02 Civic coupe has 37000 miles on it. I'm thinking about trading it in for a Certified '01 Sentra. What are the pros and cons of "trading down"?

Is there any reason you want to trade down? If finances is the main reason, you can save your self a bunch of cash by refinanacing the current car.
    You have a car with a known history, assuming you had it since day one. Unless you know something that makes you uncomfortable with such hisory that makes you want to trade down.

If you do go through with the trade, I hope the dealer is giving you some good amount of cash for the deal. Nissan's, in general, don't hold their value as well as Honda.

If you got the Civic new, the finance rate is probably better than what you can get on a used Nissan.
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    "Hopefully that story included what had happened to that Civic? "

Sorry, not a chance he told the truth. -elissa
  • guccigirl04guccigirl04 Member Posts: 16
    can you please suggest to me some great honda dealers in Los Angeles based from your own buying experiences or feedbacks from some people close to you?

i'm still deciding whether to buy a 2005 civic lx a/t or a 2004 civic lx a/t. it all depends on whether the price difference is worth the added value to the 2005 release.

and do you think the special financing by AHFC of 1.9-3.9% would still be there in dec 2004 for both the 2004s and 2005s? (that's when i actually plan to buy)

thanks!
    If you are not buying until Dec, you have already made the choice to buy a 2005. With rare exception, no dealers will have any 2004 LX Civics left. Also, no one can guess what deals will be offered as incentives by Honda in December. Their may not be any! Try taking a little initiative and read all the posts back a year and you can see plenty of posts about dealers in your area.
    It may not work in SoCal, but in NY, NJ, CT area it is not incommong to see a last year's model in the back of the dealer lot in January or even later.

I bought my 2002 Si in January of 2003, brand new, with 8 miles. Last year a friend was looking to buy a Civic. There were a few dealers who had 2003's on their lots, and some even had them proudly displayed in the front.

Just don't expect to be able to get the options or the color of your choice. Most definatley you will not find an LX with auto. Most of the "keft overs" in the metro areas are manuals, and either top of the line trims or the entry trims. LX is right smack in the middle of the trim. I would not be surprized if LX is the most sold trim across all of Honda models.

Good luck
    But it doesn't have ABS. HX is an oddball model that never sold well.
  • tcoultharttcoulthart Member Posts: 17
    I highly recommend it.

On Saturday afternoon after a trip to the Honda service dept where they indicated my 89 Accord with 227K need some work, I decided it was time for a new car.

I logged onto edmunds and requested quotes from 3 dealers on a 04 Civic LX. Within an hour I had two quotes, both around $14,400. Monday morning I emailed the two dealers to determine if they had the color I wanted in stock. One replied fairly quickly I called her and the deal was done. I told her I wanted no addons and when I arrived at the dealership there was no pressure to add anything.

Edmunds, THANK YOU
  • mechyudamechyuda Member Posts: 8
    I went to Cush Honda and had a very good experience, unlike Pacific Honda (avoid that dealership!!!). Cush was about the best Honda dealership in San Diego, which is a city that has like 8 or more dealerships (I checked out like 2 dealerships short of all of them, too!). If you are in SD, make sure you check out Cush Honda.

This is what I got:

New '04 Honda Civic EX Coupe with: splash guards, door edge guards, pin stripes, in red, and of course, the usual front and rear standard floor mats

Cost: $18,300.00 OTD

I thought I could go lower, but I think this was a fair deal for both me and the dealer. As much as I hate jackazz dealers, I didn't want to be a jackazz customer, and I respected this dealer.

Best luck to everyone else looking for a car.
    After a brief fling with the Mazda3, I've decided to buy a Civic instead. I'm going to aim for $16K on an 2004 EX w/side airbags -- is that aambitious, oir do you guys think I can get that. I'm in the NYC area, by the way. Any suggestions (besides Fair Honda, which is where I bought my last car, because they don't have any left -- the best dealership out there)? Thanks!
    Try Mount Kisco Honda, I have heard good things. Also, I have bought from D&C Honda in Tenafly, NJ, and they were good to me.

Check a few posts back for the list of dealers to stay away from.
  • jlm1955jlm1955 Member Posts: 9
    Which deal sounds the best?

Deal 1) 2004 Honda Civic LX Manual with Side Air bags:
    $15,400 out the door (including a new tag).

Deal 2) 2004 Saturn ION2 for $13,900 out the door. The ION2 has a few more options (sun roof and 5 CD changer).
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I would take the Civic because I am not too fond of the Ion's interior set-up with the center gauges and I really don't like the Ion steering wheel. However, you are the one paying for the car so buy the one YOU like. Have you test driven them both?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    You might want to check out the 2003? economy car shoot out somewhere on Edmunds.com. While the initial 1500 dollar price difference indeed can be an issue, you might want to consider the one through eight rank order and how you feel about each car and your response. This article rates them. I just recently read the article and my top five just happened to be on the list of 8 cars they had rated. I was indeed leaning toward the Civic beforehand. Indeed I did buy a 2004 Civic. Best of luck.
  • horsedochorsedoc Member Posts: 1
    I was rear ended by a Ford F150 and sandwiched between it and a Ford Escape (after bouncing between the two for a total of 4 collisions) while stopped at a red light. My beloved 2000 Honda 4dr LX (standard trans) which I meticulously took care of is now smashed on both ends and the frame is bent, but it kept me relatively safe). I'm waiting for the final prognosis from my insurance company but the collision shop estimated 7K + of damages. I've been told by friends that I should for safety's sake, replace it. If the insurance company agrees, I'd like to get a Civic EX 2004, 4dr, standard trans. My two questions are:
    1. How can I make sure I get the maximum reimbursement for my 2000 Honda.(or where can I find the most accurate quote-the one my insurance company will be likely to use.)
    2. Can anyone recommend or dis-recommend a Honda dealership in the Ann Arbor, MI area. I need a place I can really bargain with, and a deal that I can manage along with my gigantic school loans!

THX!
    To get feedback on your first question, I suggest you visit our Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• trigfxtrigfx Member Posts: 1
    Yes you can, I pick my magnesium metallic 2004 Civic EX w/ side airbags for $16,000 (delivery charge included), Not including tax and title. I bought it @ Honda Plaza in Brooklyn. I bought it on 9/1/04
  • tcoultharttcoulthart Member Posts: 17
    I would say try edmunds.com to have a dealership send you quotes. To expand the number of dealerships responding, use a zip code that is between a couple dealerships. Right now a 2004 should be below invoice as the dealer incentive is $750. I just purchased a 2004 Civic LX for $600 under invoice. I would also tell the dealership you have a rate from your work credit union. Or you could use the credit union rate at www.summitcreditunion.com which is 4.5 percent. The dealership I was working willing to beat it but I paid cash instead.
  • macedonmacedon Member Posts: 27
    Is the $750 dealer incentive something that is advertised or known only to the dealer? I have not heard about it. Would you mention it to get a lower price even though the 2004s are moving fast...

Just this afternoon I got the following quotes
    2004 Civic LX: $13,994
    2005 Civic LX: $15399
    2004 Civic EX: $15,994.

I thought the 2004 LX was a great price though the two colors are ones I do not want. (I am torn between the Corolla LE w/ABS and the Civic LX).