Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    My insurance company couldn't really give a straight answer on why it would be higher...just that it a higher "symbol" than the Accord. I think, though, in the long run the fuel savings will more than offset the higher insurance premium.
  • soccerhorsesoccerhorse Member Posts: 10
    Regarding supply. I spoke to my local dealer and I told him that I would be shopping sometime between Dec to Feb. He indicated that there would be plenty of civics to choose from then. Also, following Christmas, there is a shortage of buyers due to overspending on the holidays, so good deals should be easier to come by. Additional thoughts?
  • geovargeovar Member Posts: 7
    Would you mind stating the price you bought it at? With/ without navigation?

Also, did you consider the subwoofer accessory at all?
  • manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    In Edmund's book 'Strategy for Buying a Car,' there was a description of a Salesman who gave the Car Buyer seemingly a good deal on the new car, but gave him a bad deal on his trade-in. In the Salesman's own words, 'I stole his trade in.'

Car Salemen have honed in the Car Buyer's vulnerable points. The new car buyer is anxious to get into his beautiful new car and is fixated on getting a good deal for his new car. Stealing his trade-in is like taking candy from a toddler.

When a dealer buys a used car below what its true market value, and then sells the car, the car salesmen gets a certain percentage of the profit.

Manny
    Having had much painful experiences imposed upon me by questionable sales tactics at car dealerships, I still have only empathy for the Car Salesmen. After all they are just trying to make a living. In the system that is set up, a good deal for me is a bad deal for them.

If I keep more of my money, I am depriving the salesmen more of their commission. The average salesmen does not live well. I found out that some salesmen have to hitch a ride to work or take the bus. They cannot afford a car.

What do you guys and gals think?

Manny
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Again... let's stay on topic...

Got anything to say about buying a Civic?

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tlowingtlowing Member Posts: 17
    Trying to buy a Silver 06 Civic EX Coupe, Manual w/Navi and Fog Lights. MSRP is $21,032. Orlando, FL Dealer quoted me $21,150.00 plus a $500 "Dealer Document Fee". They say 3-4 weeks for delivery. Local Melbourne, FL dealer just said it would take them 3-4 MONTHS to get the car. I'm contacting the Cocoa, FL dealer.

Buying a new car sucks. I'm paying a significant fraction of my expendable income on something and dealers expect me to treat buying a car like pushing quarters in a Coke machine.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I hope my typing this post comes out as this web page has a bug in it and half of the box I'm typing in is half covered up.

What dealer are you working with in Orlando? I too am in Orlando and have bought several Hondas so I can help with the experiences I've had. I've bought three Hondas, each from a different dealer. A '99 Odyssey from the dealership in Longwood. A '99 CRV from Coggin. And an '01 Accord from Classic. I'm closest to Classic and gave them first shot each time.

The $500 dealer fee is standard, you won't get out of it.
    Off-topic posts and responses to them have been deleted.. and, will continue to be...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Has anyone reading this thread purchased an '06 Civic in Minnesota? I've never owned a Honda and would appreciate opinions on which dealer(s) offer the best combination of service, integrity and pricing.
  • rajd1974rajd1974 Member Posts: 31
    I got a written quote of $20239 for an 2006 EX Auto Navi. This includes Mudflaps and destination fee. I left a deposit of $500 on a vehicle that is due to arrive in a few days. Is this a good deal for the pacific north west area?

Strange that initially the sales person sent me a quote for $19510 for the same vehicle. Something flashed in my head that it seemed too good to be true. So I called and talked to her again and asked her what the MSRP was on the vehicle quote innocently. She said oops! that she gave me the original quote of $19510 was actually meant for the Manual EX Navi unit. She then increased the price to @20239 and asked me to either take it or leave it.

Still contemplating, should I get my deposit back or go ahead with the sale. The civic does seem to be a great car.
  • starsoup7starsoup7 Member Posts: 4
    Done my research, emailed lots of dealers in Mid-Atlantic, have some prices.

The dealers that are bidding now are in the Washington Metro area, and I am trying to foresee a problem...I am a first time buyer and edmunds.com has been helpful so far.

The lowest base price I can get is $15,825 and OTD is $17,054.

I have one last dealer to hear from to beat that price, but if they don't, the first dealer wants a deposit on the car that would be here Monday.

I have all of these things in emails, I have asked all the questions about the deposit I can think of--like if somehow the price went up and I decide not to buy it, I could get my deposit back.

Am I missing anything? Is this price fair? Things to watch for?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This new "Videos on Inside Line" blocks half the posts! Any way to get rid of this or at least move it?
  • johnyindianjohnyindian Member Posts: 6
    I would make a deposit using my credit card. Also, make sure if they have any dealer installed options (mud guards, wheel locks etc.). The salesmen usually like to spring this stuff up when ur at the dealership.

Well I'm looking to purchase a civic ex in the DC/Baltimore area too. What dealers have you contacted? Let me know!
    When you find out, let me know.. ;)

Seriously though, they are working on it... A big software load took place Monday night, and they are now working the bugs out... Hopefully, soon...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    If they gave you the price, you go ahead and finance and pay it off immediately.
    I have done so many times with no damage to credit but damage to dealer profit.
    Often they get to end of deal and say OK if you finance thru us. OK match this bank/credit union and OK.
    Their condition was that I could not pay it off immediately. And the financing was to be done through them alone, and no matching period. It was a deal that I cannot accept.
    I went through Classic via the web and got the response from Holler.
  • jnuzzijnuzzi Member Posts: 39
    I think Holler and Classic are owned by the same company. I bought my LX AT Sedan at Holler. :D
    I think I may go with Space coast in Cocoa. No deals to be had for the Civic nearby and both dealerships say I have to wait at least til Jan to get my car. Now I'm pondering the Si vs the EX since I have to wait anyhow. It would be nice to know MSRP on the Si.
  • jetlapjetlap Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

Do the invoice price on edmunds and yahoo include destination fee? i,m looking for a 06 Civic LX auto, the quote i got from a couple of bay area dealers are around MSRP, which is quite bad i think. cause i bought an Accord last year for 1500 under invoice. i know its not possible to get the similar deal for this one, but paying MSRP feels bad for me. Anyway, i could hold on for it cause im not in a rash. just wondering how much others pay for the LX in Bayarea CA.
    Thanks
    You're correct, both Holler and Classic are owned by the same parent company. I've heard since Classic was all remodelled that they don't deal at all.
    Oh, and I did have a bad experience at Classic. I traded in a leased Odyssey, negotiated an out the door price, and they forgot to charge me sales tax, even after I questioned them on that. Long story, but it was ugly.
    Any idea if the Si carries a bigger insurance burden?
    Don't know for sure, but I would imagine it does. High performance usually is more expensive to insure.
    Just checked insureance. Only about $40/year difference between EX and SI
  • widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    Non-internet, face-to-face purchase of atomic blue 2006 Civic EX sedan automatic for $500 over invoice at Williamson Honda in Lincoln, Nebraska . Bought from just arrived allocation. No miles on the car besides my test drive. For another $100 fee I disposed of my current 2004 Civic EX sedan ( bought at $250 under invoice also from Williamson) through a Dealer Pass Through sales arrangement with the dealer. Got $14,100 for mine from my private buyer who purchased my trade from the dealer. A trade directly to
    the dealer would have netted me only in the low 12's for my car. Saved an additional $100 + on salestax over against a standard trade-in to the dealer.
  • starsoup7starsoup7 Member Posts: 4
    I dropped off the desposit, I will forward all the info I have after (hopefully) the deal goes through (Monday?)
    Jetlap:

When asking for the price of a car, always ask if the quoted price include the destination fee or not. Edmunds list a MSRP National Base Price, and a MSRP National Base Price including destination charge.

Also Edmunds mentioned a regional adjustment price depending on the region of the United States the car is located. The Invoice Price is listed 'in Invoice Price without the destination fee charge', or 'with the destination charge'.

There is also a true invoice price after taking into account dealer holdback, which for the Honda Civic is 3%.
    This is the price after you have taken off the 3% holdback from the listed invoice price.

The various ways of the seller listing the prices are many. The list price may or may not include dealer advertising fees, document processing fees etc.

It is very confusing, and it is meant to be confusing. The buyer has to be very careful. And must asked about clarification before taking a long trip to the dealership.

I had been quoted a prices of $500 above invoice for a civic EX, thinking that it was a great deal, then I found out that I must add $550 destination fee to it, and some other dealer's fee, which is also about $500.

Then listen to this, since I have to get the car through 'Dealer Swap', there is a $500 added delivery charge for the car, and then there is the fee for the search for the car. (The delivery charge is because the car has to be on a truck, carried from the other dealer.)

The 'search fee' compensates the dealer I went to, who requests the swap. Because it was explained to me, now the dealer I went to, owe the other dealer a favour, and must be compensated by me. (Besides, time has to be spent to locate the car as well.)

To have it clarified I had to ask repeatedly to speak with the highest ranking manager on site over the telephone. I had to ask many times. The Dealer Swap fee and the search fee I did not know about, until I was actually in the Dealership. No one wanted to tell me before.

I did not put my money down for the car there.

Hope that this is helpful.

Manny
  • widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    To be told you have to compensate a dealer for doing a dealer locate is a complete scam. Should never let them get away with that one !
    On a dealer trade $400 to transport a car via a truck is quite typical over longer distances. I've had many delivered for $100 or less by having the vehicle driven (Minneapolis to Omaha, Kansas City to Omaha) instead of trucked. I've even talked dealers into letting me do the driving on dealer swaps to save myself some money.
    As for being quoted a price at so many dollars over invoice, here in the Midwest that always includes the shipping cost. Recently, I priced some cars on the East Coast and the destination fee was never included in the price quote. In several inquiries I was not a told that, but, if you know the invoice price thanks to Edmunds and other consumer car buying guides, you should immediately be aware of that when you hear the quote.
    As for dealer doc fees, the Honda dealer in Lincoln, NE has none. In Omaha the 3 dealers charge $35 or less. We do not see $300/400/500 doc fees as you find on the coasts. I used to drive 3 and a half hours to Kansas City to buy Subarus from Jack Miller Subaru for they have no doc fee. Nor will you ever see "Additional Dealer Mark-Up" stickers next to the manufacturer's window sticker in this neck of the woods unlike in Sarasota, Florida where I saw a $2000 ADM on every car in an Acura lot. If you complained, the dealer immediately agreed to sell you the car at MSRP and hope that, relieved, the buyer would be sucker enough to buy at that price. Heck, I even saw $400 doc fees in Sarasota at a Ford dealer that would not honor a price quote given me by a manager over the phone, but tried to raise it $500 when I came to the dealer's lot. Oh, its so much better here in the Heartland where business practices are not so sharp. At a car dealer it's always "Buyer Beware," but there are vast regional differences in the level of awareness required on the part of the consumer
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Amen!!!!
    You said it all.....take it from me....I'm in Florida....and the fees are B.S.!!!!
    Back to the heartland I go.....can't wait!!!!! :o)
    Just put a deposit down on a Silver Si w/Navi since I was going to have to wait on an EX anyhow. Don't even know the price. I haaaaate waiting.
    Widow1:

I remember this conversation from a back up salesman, who came up when the other salesman walked away to get reinforcement. " To be Completely on the Level, this is how it goes. In the end this thing is all about money and pricing. When you buy a pound of orange, you would go down to the next stand because it is 50 cents less a pound."

"For a hard car to get, when it arrives and if the boss gets another buyer, who offers more for the car, he will give the car to him over you. And you still will be waiting." Therefore if I was wise, I better hand over the dealer location fee and the delivery truck fee.

I really did not feel like being taken because of money, and because of principle. I have been trying to purchase a Honda Civic Ex with Navi and MT since September. Have not succeeded yet.

Thanks for the information. It is all helpful.

Manny
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    Got mine at $100.00 below MSRP finally. They threw in a pin strip, door protection, mud guards, and window tinting, and three free oil changes on the 06 Coupe EX with NAV, here in Clearwater Florida. Thought I got a bad deal, bought it anyway, than learned two weeks later that another guy bought a silver coupe with nav for about $2,000 over MSRP. Could not believe this, but a couple minutes later, talked to a finance guy, and he confirmed that this other guy bought the nav EX coupe for $2,000 over MSRP.. Guess some are really hungry for this thing.

So far the car handles well, slight heavy feeling at start up, but drives well on the road. The brake handle does not bother me in the least, nor does the head rest. Don't ever want to sit in the back seat, since my head has to be leaned forward in order not to hit the ceiling. Nav works great, and so far it has not steered me wrong. Got the Galex Gray, and really like it. Carpet got dirty within four days, and glad that I did not get the ivory interior or it would have gotten dirty in one hour. Now have a carpet over the original carpet to save it from dirt.
  • mrpoptopmrpoptop Member Posts: 3
    I just did a strickly online auto purchase. Just called to confirm purchase and gave deposit on the phone. After emailing with over 15 dealers from the Oklahoma area to as far away as Wisconsin, I finally got the deal I was looking for. The coupe in galaxy grey with the following options: Auto Day Night Mirror w/compas, Leather Steering, Moonroof Visor, Fog Lamps, Splash guards, Wheel locks and Window Tint for $21,827 out the door. Comes out to be $739 over invoice. Couldnt find any better deal anywhere...plus the car is instock..pick up next week.
    Can't wait to pick it up! Now I just have to sell my 98 Civic before the end of next week, lol...

Jayson
    And $21,827 out of the door. Unbelievable. How much is the sales tax in Oklahoma? And how far do you have to travel from your home? Fog lamps, Splash Guards, and Window Tints are accessories. I am not familiar with Night Mirror w/compas, is it part of the EX standard equipment?

Anyway around the New York City area, that is what they are
    going for before taxes.
    The things that they throw in, pin stripe, door protections, mud flaps and window tinting and three free oil changes aren't really worth much, except for the oil changes and perhaps the window tinting. It makes the close to MSRP price easier to stomach.

Are you sure though that the finance guy is right, that another guy bought it for $2000 over MSRP. People might be desperate, but even desperate car buyers do not part with their money easily.

Having gone through my experiences, I do not easily believe anybody that works for a dealership. It could be another propaganda tool they use to sell their cars at MSRP.
  • mrpoptopmrpoptop Member Posts: 3
    3.25% Excise tax. thats it! Its a 2 hr drive...big deal for the cost savings...

jayson
    You could have been right, but there was two individuals within minutes of each other in different parts of the dealership that said the same thing. One was the internet sales rep and the other the finance guy. I don't know why both would say that about one guy just a few days prior unless it was true. Most of the time, I would not believe the dealership, but in this case, I think I would
  • bmccallbmccall Member Posts: 9
    This is the first time I've ever paid MSRP for a new vehicle, but I saw the 06 Civic in Jacksonville, Florida and they were charging $1,000 over MSRP and made you purchase door guards and mud flaps in addition to the $1,000 over MSRP. I live in Warner Robins, Georgia and paid exactly MSRP. The dealer threw in custom pin stripes (with honda logo) and mud flaps...probably because the car already had it on and was shipped from another dealer. I'm hoping the car holds its value well and lasts. My other car is a Toyota Echo and I haven't had to do anything with it other than oil changes and 1 fuel injection cleaning in over 5 years.
    Just curious, where did you buy yours? I got my '05 Civic from Autoway Honda, easy transaction, not the best deal, but they were upfront with everything.
    Jayson:

We paid 8 plus percentage tax here in Kings County, New York Metropolitan Area. Driving two hours and saving close to a thousand dollars. That is $500 per hour, top paid even for a hot shot lawyer.

Congratulations. Also it is so encouraging news to me.

Manny
    Earth:

In 'Strategies for Smart Car Buyers', Philip Reed who goes undercover as a carsalesman but actually was writing the book said something.

He said that car sales personnel have sales meetings and plan strategies. So two people can say the same thing at once would not be surprising after the meetings.

Hearing that some people actually are purchasing the car
    thousands over MSRP makes MSRP prices easier to exact.

Manny
    Just curious, where did you buy yours? I got my '05 Civic from Autoway Honda, easy transaction, not the best deal, but they were upfront with everything.
    --------------------------------------

Got mine at Palm Harbor Honda. Tried Autoway on the Internet, and they of course said no deal. Used the Costco service which did not work with AutoWay either, and they ( Costco ) called me the other day, and wanted to know what the complaint was. Told them, and they said they would drop Autoway from their program since they did not even bother to deal at all.
  • geovargeovar Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone purchased the subwoofer as an accessory? Have not seen any posts that mention this. I currently have a 99 Civic, and will be getting an 06 EX soon. The audio system on my current car leaves a lot to be desired, and I want to ensure that my next car is suitably equipped.

I'm thinking of getting the subwoofer, but am wondering whether to go with the subwoofer accessory that Honda provides or fit an aftermarket speaker. The advantage of getting it done at the Honda dealership in my opinion is that the wiring will probably be cleaner, since they would have the right connectors, harnesses, etc.

Can anyone share their experiences/ knowledge regarding Honda audio quality/ price levels?

Thanks!

George
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Manny,

What dealerships have you been working with? I live very close to NYC (CT to be exact). I've found a few aggressive dealerships in both NY & CT. They simply dont have exactly what I want. Other dealerships won't move off MSRP, it really is luck of the draw to some degree.
  • acesfullacesfull Member Posts: 9
    After a month of looking and waiting I picked up my civic on Friday night. Originally when I started looking all I could find was one being marked up $2000. I got a couple of calls this week and one guy marked it up about $1000, but tried to rationalize it buy saying you get the wheel locks, mud guards, and cargo net. I kind of laughed it off. However, the next dealership gave me $500 under MSRP, basically the destination fee w/ a rate of 6.5% for financing. I had been up since 4:00 pm thursday, and it was friday at noon, I told him I was tired and would need to sleep on it, but he gave the line of how hot the cars were and how it might not be there in 4 hours, the time I told him I would call him. I eventually got out of there, slept on it, decided to pull the trigger, and just as I thought, it was still there. So I pulled the trigger, and was on my way to finance where I might of messed up. I ended up getting the Karr security system, which also has a warranty if your car is stolen within 2 years, after your insurance determines the value of the car, KARR will pay you up to $20,000 to buy a brand new car of the model which was stolen. It added $799 to the price but I got a rate of 5.69% instead of 6.5% for doing so and it only raised my monthly payment by $10 over the 5 years financed. Well what do you think? Oh yeah, I am in the southern california area. My opinions on the car are on the 06 civic sedan board if you are interested, I couldn't be happier with it.
    MVS:

Worked with practically all the dealerships in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx, and one in Jersey City, N.J. All in the Metropolitan New York City Five Boroughs and the City limits.

Most Internet Sales Departments turn out to be Internet Solicitating Departments.

All refused to give direct quotes until pressed hard. Most wanted me to negotiate in the showroom. When I showed up in the showroom, the Internet Personal just show up at the reception area, and panned me over to a floor salesperson. The salesmen are hovering around.

They usually do not have what I want. I believed one dealership's Internet Department who said that they have what I want.

I got there and found out that they cared little about what I want because they do not have it. And presumed that they could sell me what they want.

It has not been an easy trip. T thought of giving up and buying something else.

Manny
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    Regarding to $$$$ over invoice, please ignore them. Where I'd shopped in the past I saw Hyundai Excel at $1000 over MSRP. If you start the negotiation, everyone will end up below invoice for such a car. Some dealerships are custom to putting extra($$$) on MSRP. While I walked around through many car lots, I found everyone single car are with markups. I quickly learn to ignore them.

The only cars that can have markups are the ones that the dealers can't keep the supply. Civic is not a limited production cars such as the S2000 or NSX. Next time you see a Civic with markup, go ahead and negotiate. If doesn't work out, go on to the next dealership. Please ignore those markups!!!

• justgradjustgrad Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Im looking to lease an 06 Civic LX, automatic in Phoenix, AZ. The dealer has given me the following quote:
    Down: $1000
    Monthly payment: $280 (this includes taxes)
    36 month, 12000 miles.

Is this a good deal ? I just got out of college and this is my first car..My credit score is 658. Thanks..
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    "Question for you: If you had an EX in the past, why are you going with the LX on the new Civic? What's keeping you from going top-of-the-line?"

Good question. A couple of things made me chose the LX over the EX.
    #1 is price. I don't think the EX is worth $1,950 ($2K) more considering it has the same power & suspension as LX
    #2 I don't care for the sunroof - I never use it in my EX
    #3 Weight. I like owning a lighter Civic. Even though it's only 50lbs, tt means my car is quicker than an EX (even it's .1sec or 1/2 tenth) and it might get slightly better mileage and will stop a little quicker.
    4. The '06 LX has everything my '01 EX has except for the moonroof (but more safety features of course).

If the '06 EX had a better suspension or slightly more power than LX/DX, I 'd be all over it. For me the LX is a better value. I can always get light aftermarket wheels for cheap or buy a set of used EX wheels. I 've been on other Honda forums and most of these kids are already ordering 17 & 18" aftermarket wheels for their '06 Civics. There will be plenty of used sets on the market soon.

When I bought my '01 EX 4.5yrs ago, it was a MUCH better value than the LX which cost about $1400 less back then. It was very different then as you will see below:

- The EX back then had more power and more torque which in each self is a BIG incentive to get the EX because it was indeed faster than LX or DX. I know people that sold their '01 LX to get an '02 EX just for the acceleration.
    - The EX came standard with ABS, LX didn't (I think it might have in '03 or later)
    - Moonroof
    - EX window sticker showed better gas mileage than LX/DX!
    - More speakers, slightly better stereo than LX.
    - Better cloth seats in EX
    - EX had different dashboard lighting and the titanium-like look & feel on everything which the LX didn't have in '01 (I think in later model years it did).
    - EX had a larger rear sway bar in '01!
    - EX came with 15" wheels (& hub caps). LX only 14".

There were other smaller things too but as you can see there were many differences back then and the price gap was not bad.

I like the '06 's standard 4-wheel disc brakes but that means more owership costs. The rear brake pads will have to be replaced often. With drum brakes, you can go 200k mi. before replacing the brakes. I have 162k mi. on my '01 EX and I 'm still on the original rear drum brake pads!! My '97 Civic DX also had original rear (drum) pads when I sold it with 141k mi. If drum brakes are good enough for the 3,000lb '06 Accord LX, then it's good enough for any Civic. As long as the LX has 4-wheel ABS, that's good enough for me.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)