Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• duddud Member Posts: 91
    philosopher,

Your OTD price seems a bit high, even though your tax rate is one of the highest I've ever seen. Stop requesting quotes and wait until the last week of the month when the dealers will be more motivated to deal.

As for dealer holdback ... I was told that the dealer only gets their holdback if they meet they meet their sales quotas for the sales period (month/quarter).
  • editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    Very nice deal! Congrats. You came in almost $600 less than I did a few months ago. (My tax rate was a little higher, though, so that accounted for some.)
  • slimstrikeslimstrike Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the boards but plan to hopefully buy a 07 Civic LX Sedan Automatic within a week and have sent for 3 internet quotes OTD and so far have gotten one back at 18,652.14 (I live in PA). I've seen $18000 OTD seems to be an average on these boards and was wondering how I could get them lower through email. Any suggestions from those that have done this before would be great and is $18000 OTD good if I can get it or do you think it could get lower? Also this is my first time buying a car so I'm trying to get the best deal possible before I step foot on a lot and I also plan to have financing taken care of before I go.
  • thephilosopherthephilosopher Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, dud. State sales tax in TN is 7% + 2.25% local. However, there's funny formulas on the local tax for new car purchases that result in about 8% average. It's ridiculous! I'll be happy if I can get OTD 18,500. Like you say, I might have to wait a couple of weeks.
    Cricfan777,

This is VERY helpful. If I strike out in Memphis, I'll drive a few hours to Pine Bluff. Thanks.
  • dddaledddale Member Posts: 11
    Those coupons and gift certificate to buy on internet store may have certain condition to meet when you are using them to purchase., such as you have to purchase stuff worth $50.00 when you are using your $25.00 certificate., besides, you have to pay postage and handling fee.

The price you quote is pretty good in Bay Area. I bought the EX AT 4drs for OTD $19,600 most recently. Good luck to you.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    State sales tax in TN is 7% + 2.25% local. However, there's funny formulas on the local tax for new car purchases that result in about 8% average. It's ridiculous!

It is not that complicated and if you are going to live and buy/lease cars in TN you should understand how it works.

State tax is 7% and each local county ads tax to that (up to 2.75%) but only for the first $1,600 of a single item. Then the state collects 2.75% on the amount from $1,600 up to $3,200. In Shelby county (Memphis) the local rate is 2.25%.

So on a car (or any single item) $3,200 or more the math is:

Selling price (less trade in, if any) x 7% = state tax
    $1,600 x local rate (2.25% in this case) = $36 county tax
    $1,600 x 2.75% = $44 additional state tax

So the easy way to figure it is to do the math for your county and remember the total - in this case the local option tax and extra state tax total $80. So to figure the sales tax on a car >= $3,200 (after trade in allowance) you take 7% of the total price + $80.

On a lease, state sales tax (only) is paid on top of the monthly payment. So if your payment worked out to $300 per month, then you would pay $321 per month. You also would pay the local option and additional state taxes UP FRONT - in your case this would be the same $80 as on a sale. If you pay any money down that goes to reducing the cap cost of the lease, that is also taxable at 7%.

Rate charts and more info here on the TN state web page

Dennis
  • rmgovenderrmgovender Member Posts: 8
    hi there. i live in syracuse, ny and am looking to buy my first car. i have an offer for 18,200 (incl destination) for a 4 door ex, black. its below invoice but since its clearance time i figured they are trying to get these cars of the lot. could someone help in telling me if this is a good or great deal? id really appreciate it. thank you.
    You need to provide all the info you have on your deal before anyone can give you an assessment of your "deal". Information required may include:

1 - What car you want including type of transmission (AT or MT)

2 - Tax/Tag and fees for your deal.

3 - Is your "deal" an OTD price or not?
  • carless_in_svacarless_in_sva Member Posts: 8
    Hi dddale,

Thanks very much for your reply. 19600 is a very good deal for an EX AT 4drs (maybe the best I've ever seen)! Do you mind telling at which dealer you bought your car? Do you recommend that dealer and why? Thanks!
    Thanks, Dennis.

I did end up buying this morning (personal constraints on timing). I ended up 18,500 OTD. For others shopping the breakdown looked like this.

Base Price: 16,700.60
    Dealer Prep Fees: 349.00
    Taxes: 1277.05
    Tag/Title: 122.00
    Some Random Overcharge: 51.15
    OTD: 18,500

Some notes: The "base price" includes the 595 destination charge and a couple of dealer extras (sports stripe, mud flaps). I know that one shouldn't pay "dealer prep fees" (a.k.a. "processing fees"), but these are like a religion for most dealers. I didn't care about them as long as the OTD price was in my range.

Had I been in the mood to haggle more (and had more time) I probably could have squeezed them down to 18,400 or 18,300 OTD. However, given that the factory holdback is 2% of base MSRP and that I was dealing with 7% state sales tax, I don't know whether a dealer could go much lower than 18,300 and make a profit.

My advice to other shoppers - wait til the end of the month; deal directly with the sales manager.

In any case, no regrets. LOVE the car!
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    this thread is great for finding ex/lx sedan and lx coupe prices paid...

but are they areny ex coupe owners out there that can post their numbers? I know that buying an accord would probably yield the best deal at a honda dealer right now, but for the commuter who is a mileage whore and wants something more nimble, the civic fits the bill.

so anyone?
  • ewnatsewnats Member Posts: 7
    I'm still in the hunt for that elusive 18,500-18,700 OTD price for a Civic LX sedan in upstate NY. Can anyone give me some tips to haggle with the dealer? I'm new to this whole car buying experience. Best quote I had so far was end of last month at 18,950 (ish) OTD. I emailed the dealers I spoke to in July and they havn't responded back after 4 days. Should I just request a quote from Honda for those dealerships?

Thanks!
    Ewnats:

I'm by no means an expert. I bought a Civic LX sedan today (see prior posts). That last car I bought was a new 2000 Mazda Protege (in 2000!). I don't know what dealers in upstate NY are like, but if there motivated to sell at the end of the month, you should be able to get your OTD based on everything that I've read on the web. I like the "direct" approach. If you're VERY confident that you're willing to pay 18,500, then try this: Walk into a dealership; ask for the sales manager (not a salesperson or sales agent); inform the sales manager EXACTLY what kind of Civic you want; and then, tell him/her that you'll buy it on the spot if they will give you an OTD price of 18,500 (?) 18,600 (?). [That part is up to you.]

I actually did this, this morning. I walked into a dealership that I hadn't been in before, asked for the sales manager, stated my price as matter-of-factly as you please, and after he disappeared for a few moments, he came back and said, "Yeah, we can do that."

Ultimately, I used his agreeableness to negotiate a slightly lower price at another dealer. Anyhow, that's my experience. I'm sure there are regional differences.

One more thing: I started by "requesting quotes" as you put it. And the quotes I got ranged from 19,200 - 18,800 OTD. It was the direct approach that broke the "quotes" threshold. Of course, at that point, I had played my card about what I was willing to pay. So, make sure that you're happy with an 18,500 OTD. I might have gone lower if I'd been more hard-nosed about it.

Cheers!
  • rmgovenderrmgovender Member Posts: 8
    Hi Dud, Thanks so much for all your help. Fees are minimal about $100 and this 18,200 does not include tax (in NY its 8%). Its an automatic. Its a 2007 Honda Civic EX, 4 door. Its not an OTD price. Does not include any fees/tax (DOES include destination) at 18,200.I am going back to the dealer tomorrow (Friday) morning so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • pearotthdpearotthd Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a 2007 Civic EX AT. However, there are none in the color I want within 100+ miles of where I live. Anyone have any info to share about what is logical to pay (if anything) to transfer it here. I feel a little 'behind the 8 ball' when negotiating because of this. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • carless_in_svacarless_in_sva Member Posts: 8
    dddale, thanks so much for the recommendation! I'm trying to work with some dealers you mentioned, but Marin Honda seems pretty good. I may want a quote from them too...
    My lowest offer out the door for a 07 civic LX 4dr AT is now 18410.84 with free state inspection for the time I own the car from a highly recommended dealer in my area. Is this a good price out the door or should I see if I can go lower? I'm also waiting to hear from other dealers but plan to buy next weekend. I live in PA and the breakdown of the cost is:
    17224 cost of car
    1033.44 tax (PA 6%)
    153.40 for license fee
    ------
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    They have 3 ways to get you the car you want:

1) Pay 2 drivers to go get it - driving up in one of their used cars and 1 drives back your new car.

2) Pay 1 driver to go get it on a swap - he/she drives a new, but different color, Honda to the distant dealership and drives your new car back.

3) Use a truck and haul it.

1 and 2 cost less - maybe $100-150 depending on the distance, but they get to drive your new car before you do and they put miles on it maybe some paint chips from the trip. 3 can be very expensive - maybe $200 and up - but your car arrives with "no" miles on it.

What I would do if I were you is find the car you want for yourself and try making a deal with the dealer that has it, then all you are out is the gas and the time of a friend or loved one to drive you to go get it.

Dennis
  • jlm1955jlm1955 Member Posts: 9
    I am in the process of buying "2" Honda Civics, following is the deal I got. This seems to be a good deal, I could not get another dealer to match/beat it? The trade is a piece of crap 1998 Neon.

Civic LX/MT: $16,055
    Dealer fee: $499
    Civic LX/AT: $16,855
    Dealer fee: $499
    Two Car Total: $33,908
    $2K for trade: $2000 (1998 Neon)
    Final cost: $31,908 (plus tax and tag of course)
  • prsuprsu Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am new to this board and I plan to buy a Civic LX 4dr AT.

When Honda release 2008 model, how much it.
    For example if the 2007 out of door price is 18500 now, how much will be 2008 out of door price (19500 , 20000 or same price) ? Any idea?

Prsu
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I'd bet the price of the '08 models will only rise between 1% and 2%, but don't quote me on this. I'd be very surprised to see the prices remain the same actually.

The Sandman :)
  • pearotthdpearotthd Member Posts: 2
    Take the source as it is....a dealer told me they are expecting the 08 prices to increase 3.5%
    No matter how high the '08 prices go ...

The fact is the dealers will be trying to get close to MSRP for the '08. They are now willing to go as low as invoice (or below) on the '07 models to clear them off the lot.

Do the math. The difference between invoice on an '07 and MSRP on an '08 (assuming a 2% price incease over the '07 model) will be substantial, something like $1,600 ($1,200 plus $400).

If you are currently looking for a Civic you should be focusing on making the purchase at the end of this month. The model year turnover is fast approaching ...
  • kyotekyote Member Posts: 28
    You may be right, some price increase for 08. I hope I can find and buy the right 07 so as to avoid that possible increase. But I do wonder. Its not like they have to re-tool the Civic factory, find new suppliers for materials, etc. like they had to for the 08 Accord. Heck, what will change on the Civic, the window sticker changes from 07 to 08? They will have, I think I read somewhere, a leather OPTION so that will mean they have to print up some new stickers for those models. And then maybe they will have tire pressure monitors on all trim levels.. But no changes on engine or radio or colors. So will be interesting to watch. Maybe they can just syke out customers as it is a “new year 08” and so charge more for the 08. But maybe not, as there is competition for our money. Too much price increase and people will be looking more at Toyota and Nissan and Mazada. And the whole economy and stock market is a little down swing so too much price increase could hurt sales. Just my .02. I hope I can find the right 07.
  • yebayeba Member Posts: 3
    I have been waiting for the civic clearance on 2007 models but the prices arent as good as toyota's. Best price for a civic is around $1000 below MSRP. I have seen corolla LEs MSRP of $17.5k go down as low as $13.8k.

I have noticed that some honda dealers still carry 2006 models on the civic, like elk grove honda. Anyone hear got any good deals on 2006 brand new models? How low do dealers usually offer on 2006 models at this time?
  • craigblitzcraigblitz Member Posts: 20
    I in PA as well, and I have been pricing as well. I am waiting till this Friday or next to buy as I am sure they will want to meet month goals, etc.

The Best Quotes I have received:

Moon Honda - $17,231.67 plus tax +109 Title/Plates (+270) Rainbow Honda - $16,961.67 Plus Tax + 83 Title/Plates
    Valley Honda - Said they will match to make the sale

From this I am going to see who gives me the best deal on my trade-In and be done Friday afternoon sometime. I emailed the dealer I want to deal with my best quotes and told him whoever gives me the best overall value I am buying that day. I have my financing done and ready with check in hand.

The forums have saved me a ton already. Before I would look at MSRP talk down from there and feel good I got 500-700 off sticker... :blush:

• amy6amy6 Member Posts: 2
    Back in January, I bought my 2007 civic (Lx, 4Dr, auto) from Moon Honda for $16,999 + tax and a temporary plate fee of about $30... because I registered it out of state. I too priced shopped online first. Moon assured me that they would also price match anyone in the area. They were very easy to deal with and also very professional. They also have a "Courtesy trade" option if you want to sell your car to someone else. They handle all of the paper work, and you end up not paying taxes on the amount of what your car sells for. The only catch is that you have to bring the buyer with you and complete all of the paper work for that and also your new car on the same day. I used craigslist for advertising and selling mine.

Being a female, I was worried about getting jerked around on price, but once I said that and was stern from the get go, I was offered $16,999 from the start FIRST PRICE. I dealt with Tommy Trasport, and I'd highly recommend him to anyone. I will definitely go back to him for my next vehicle. If you'd like to use me as your referral, definitely let me know! I think they give little perks if you refer someone! Good luck!
    Ok well now I feel more comfortable with the offer I have as it's in the range of yours and you're on the other side of the state. Thanks for the reply.
  • sarabee2sarabee2 Member Posts: 1
    Did you buy the LX AT 4d for $18000 OTD? Can you tell us which dealership in San Diego? Thanks!
    Kyote,

You are correct. For the most part the '07 and '08 Civics will be the same. The point I was trying to make was the dealers can ask more for an '08 vice an '07 because the '07 are just that ... '07s. The '07 model year is over and you are basically getting in at the END of the model year vice at the beginning, like the '08. Basically, you are buying a new car but in a few months will APPEAR to be a year old car. I don't mind this personally since we keep our cars 8 to 10 years but if you trade in every few years then it will matter. You will get more for your car if you bought (within the next 2 months) an '08 vice an '07.

If you are going to get a Civic this year ... do it sooner than later, do it near the end of this month. Start on the 25th or so and request quotes from your local dealers. If you happen to get a low bid (I got 2) you are golden. The whole process took me one afternoon. I paid a little over $17,000 and that included the notorious "dealer fee" of $600!
  • craigblitzcraigblitz Member Posts: 20
    Hi Amy -

Thanks for the reply. I am very suprised to hear that Moon was so good to you. I am actually trying not to deal with them because of the poor service and higher quote, but at the end of the day all that matters to me is the best deal. I went in Friday to get my trade evaluated and I kid you not, I walked in and went right to the receptionist desk, and she did not look up at me for at least 15 minutes. Finally a sales person came by and asked if I was being helped and I said no, I am here to see so and so. He was busy with another customer I was told. I said no problem, I am just here to get my car valued. The car dealer walked off and said ok. I was shocked he didn't offer to help. At this point I wasted 25 minutes of my day and I left.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I am glad your experience was a lot more pleasent then mine.
    If you have a dealer you can work with, they will get that car in for you. It should be at NO CHARGE to you. I did this myself, worked a deal that way. Yes, they would have given me one sitting on the lot for possibly a couple hundred less, but the deal I made was fine for that time frame, and they got my color in. It did amount to extra mileage on the car when I took delivery: I think it had 208 miles on it. It made no difference to us then, and it still doesn't: we buy the car to drive it, so those miles were going to happen anyway.

In short, if local dealer is better for you, work it up and they can get the car in, with no cost to you beyond the deal you make.
  • nullmindnullmind Member Posts: 4
    I live in NYC and helped my father purchas an Accord Sedan EX-L(4 cylinders) from a NJ Dealer just a week ago. I went to couple of dealers and this dealer in NJ was the best price I found. I always ask in OTD price because I'm new to car buying and don't want to have some hidden price included after I get a price on the car. I was first interested in SE trim and they offered OTD price of $20,000 which was way better than what other NY dealers were offering and I decided to get EX-L if the price is that low. I eventually paid $23,300 OTD which is just about same as invoice price. I think I could have pushed it down to $23,000 but I felt that was already a good price.

That was for my father and after driving some, I really liked it and wanted to purchase one for myself. I don't think I can afford an Accord and I think Civic is good enough for me.

Anyway, the question is, I'm planning to return to the same dealer, will I be able to drop prices way more since I bought a car from him very recently? If yes, what price should I aim for? I'm thinking either LX or EX trim. I always calculate OTD price and I was thinking, $15,000 OTD for LX or get EX if I can get it for $16,000 OTD.

Am I pushing it too much or are the prices possible because I've purchased a car recently? Maybe I can go for more?
    Are you speaking about manual or automatic? 2007 I guess, right? Manual is cheaper, but even so, your OTD hopes for Civic LX or EX are very unrealistic. How did you arrive at those ideas for pricing? These cars are in very high demand and the deals aren't the same as for Accords.
    You should check out invoice on the models you're interested in (at Edmunds or elsewhere) and aim for invoice plus tax and fees, or maybe few hundred below that. A recent great price for the Civic EX 4 dr sedan on this forum was $19,600 OTD. I paid about $20,300 OTD a few months ago.
    No, I wouldn't think you'll get some fabulous price for a Civic because you bought an Accord recently. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I wouldn't count on it. Good luck though. :)
  • nullmindnullmind Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input. This is how I came out with those prices. I checked the invoice price for Civic LX from edmunds.com and saw $16,349 so I was thinking if I paid invoice price as OTD from them on the first car, maybe I can pull $15,000 and same reason for the EX but I pushed a bit more because I don't think EX is necessary unless price was really really good. I'm a new car buyer and I honestly don't know what price to ask so I just wanted to see what others thought before I went.
  • kmodikmodi Member Posts: 1

$16519.62
    $1156.38 ( nj 7% tax )
    $35.00 , Reg & Title
    ===================
    $18000.00 OTD.
    Pl. note that I paid Cash ( 100% down ) & turned in lic plate. ( by whick you can save about $75.00)
    My experience was pleasant with the dealership.

Good Luck to you!!
    kmodi,

I agree. I paid almost the exact same amount for my '07 LX sedan MT ($700 less than the AT).

I keep recommending people to wait till the end of the month. If I were still in the market I would start requesting quotes on the 28th of this month.
    Nice. Yeah I cant get any lower than 18410 OTD at this point and I need a car so I'm willing to pay it because it's still lower than I was expecting and has free state inspection for the time I own it which was something I was looking for since I plan to own the car for quite awhile. Thanks for the reply.
  • itzmekevinitzmekevin Member Posts: 11
    Hi I'm new to this board and I plan to buy a 07 Civic Coupe LX AT.

I live in Las Vegas but I wouldn't mind travel to S. Cali if the deal is good. I would appreciate if anyone who purchased a Civic recently in Las Vegas or S. Cali area could provide me with some information like OTD price paid and the name of the dealership.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Kevin
  • karenatlkarenatl Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    We are looking for a car for our 16 year old daughter. We are thinking stripped down civic lx coupe - with auto, abs, airbags. The other contenders are Scion tC - which our son has and loves. We are also looking at the Nissan Versa and the Mazda 3.

My question is - has anyone dealt with the hugh Honda dealers in the Atlanta metro area? This past weekend we went to a few dealers, and before we were out of the car we were surrounded by the typical young kid who doesn't know anything about the car he is selling. When I know more than the salesperson, that's not good!

What is a fair price for an lx with abs, bags, auto? Edmunds has their true value pricing, which has different pricing than either Honda or Scion's corporate pages.

If any one has dealt with one of the dealers around here, and found one to be better than another, I would appreciate the input.

TIA,
    Karen
    Karen,

First, you cannot get a "stripped down" version of the LX coupe. Honda sells only three lines of Civics: DX, LX and EX (dealers hardley ever sell the DX because it comes unequipped with essentials like A/C). Each line comes with it's own features and that is it. the price difference between the LX and EX lines is approximately $1,800. If you want the "stripped down" Civic you are looking at the LX (which comes nicely equipped). A good price on the LX Coupe, AT would be $17,700 to $18,000 OTD depending upon dealer fees and taxes.

the first thing you should do (if you really are going to buy a NEW car for a 16 year-old kid) is decide on what you want. I just bought an LX sedan but it took me a month of research to decide on that car. Here are the cars I researched and my conclusions (if it helps you at all):

The five cars chosen for scrutiny were the Hyundai Elantra and Sonata, Mazda 3. Nissan Sentra and Honda Civic. For those who would ask why the Toyota Corolla was not considered ... believe me, it was. The problem we had with the Corolla was it is a highly outdated design that is highly overpriced for what you get. After a ten minute visit to a local dealership we walked, without even test driving it. Here is my personal findings of each vehicle including prices quoted:

Elantra - OK car with reasonable comfort and performance(5 speed). Bland styling both inside and out. The dealer gave us a key to the car (and a Sonata also) without asking for ID or anything (they seem to be very motivated to sell). Was quoted a price on a MT of $15K OTD.

Sonata - Slightly better than above with more room and comfort. Better styling and a more attractive car (IMHO) than above. Was quoted $16K OTD for a GLS MT.

Mazda 3 (Sport i) - The "dark horse" of the lot. An incredible value for the money. The local dealership is getting rid of all '07 units by lowering the price to $11,995. For a MT this car has plenty of pick-up (2.0 liter ... 2.3 would be better). Styling and comfort is about average (IMHO) of the group. The bottom line is that I was quoted $less than $14K OTD for this car.

Nissan Sentra - Redesigned for '07 so that it is considerably larger than the '06 model. Nice interior with probably the best dash of the lot. Performance is lackluster and vanilla. Was quoted about $16,400 OTD for the S model.

Honda Civic - Most expensive car in group (LX). Nice styling both inside and out but redesigned dash is a bit weird and hard to get used to (IMHO). Comfort and performance above average. The car drives very nicely. No current incentives and dealers are VERY difficult to negotiate with. Was quoted as high as $19K for a base LX model (yeah right!).

Before I give my bottom line I must say that I live in Florida. The reasons I say that is that in this state we pay at least 6% sales tax AND (get this) it seems that everyone pays a huge bogus "dealer fee" of at least $500! It makes no sense to me to pay the dealer to buy a car from him! Rant over ...

The bottom line is that my choice is the Mazda 3 (hands down). It is a nice enough car to get around town and go from point A to B and the price is definitely right. Unfortunately, I make the money ... and the wife spends it. What this means is that you can throw the Mazda 3 out-the-window. She likes it but not as much as the Civic. So there lies the problem, getting a good deal from a dealer who is raping you for a large dealer fee (pure profit) and is not very negotiable. I informed my wife that the price difference could end up being $3 - $5K, depending upon my success at negotiating with the dealer.

karen, I bought the Civic becasue it is what my wife wanted ... not me. Three weeks after the purchase she is as happy as a lark and getting 32 MPG around the city, which makes her happy. If she is happy then I can start focusing on the next fire that needs to be put out.

Good luck.
    Karen,
    Buying for a new driver, age sixteen, takes a lot of thought, as I'm sure you know already. Your first consideration has to be safety, safety, and safety. That is really it. She may be the most level-headed person, but a new driver is an inexperienced driver. (And I'm speaking as a parent who has gone through this process within the last several years.) So, research the NHTSA crash ratings on all the cars you're considering.
    I would never buy a new car for a teen at this stage, but your situation and lifestyle could be different. Be comfortable with the idea of the car getting imperfect quickly, whatever you choose. Get something inherently a little slow, and don't buy a red car (automatic police magnet, when the driver is a teen). Good luck!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We own both, I drive the Civic and the wife drives the 3. I love everything about the Civic, especially the dash layout with the speedo on top within one's line of sight. A very safe design I think...don't need to take one's eyes off the road to check speed. But I think the public's split 50/50 on the layout. Personal preference here.
    Wife really likes her 3s, the more powerful car with the 2.3 engine, a real pocket rocket! For a teenager, the 2.0 engine is more than enough. Nice interior layout but do check the a/c as some have had problems with the all black dash and the cooling effectiveness. My kids think the 3 is cooler looking than my LX. Again, personal preference.
    The Elantra would be the car with the most value for the money...hands down. Good creature comforts though the styling really leaves me cold...it's like they didn't quite finish it. Again, personal preference.
    Many good choices out there, it just boils down to style preference and $. Good luck and just remember, this is a good time to buy an economy car as there's much to choose from.

The Sandman :)
  • bigtequilabigtequila Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys,

I've been reading the forum for a while - I really would like everyone's opinion (or at least a few people's) on the deal I negotiated with a dealer nearby.

The car is the LX Coupe with Manual Transmission - Nighthawk Black Pearl (looked all over for the color - inventories are low, most didn't have it). Here is the deal I have now:

$16,250 with all fees includes
    +$1,300 NYS Tax
    +$75 tags
    ---------------------
    $17,625 OTD

What do you guys think? I put a hold on the car, but I haven't signed anything and I really don't care about walking away if the deal isn't right.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • prsuprsu Member Posts: 5
    Hi Guys,

When I asked quote for civic some dealers’ quote came with dealer added options. Most of them came with splash guards. Do I need splash guards? Please give your advice. What are the necessary accessories?

Thanks

Prsu
    Hi,
    I like splash guards and always get them, but it has to do with your particular driving conditions and location. They are good for deflecting stuff from the underside of the car. For example, we have a long gravel lane, and I think the guards help keep the tiny pebbles of gravel from hitting the underbody as much as if I didn't have the guards. But I could be wrong about that. They also keep mud down. But on the other hand, in winter, they trap slush between the guard and the tire, which means I have to kick out the slush sometimes to free it up. My guards were included in the deal, not extras I paid for.

I've hard the door guards too on most of my cards, and supposedly they are helpful for preserving the paint at the door edges. This time I didn't buy them and I'm not concerned...they can always be added cheaply from an auto parts store.

Bottom line for me is that I don't think these cars actually need any accessories, or at least I would not want to be charged for them. I would never pay hundreds more, that's for sure.
  • karenatlkarenatl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who replied. A special thanks to 'dud' for spelling out, in detail, his findings on the other inexpensive cars.

We have driven the Mazda 3, and while it looks great from the outside, the front seats seem a bit thin. I wonder how they would hold up in a crash (they seem a bit flimsy, like they would collapse backward).

While the 'girl child' loves her brother's tC, she can't drive stick, and he's done so many mods that the car is way too much for her!

The Sentra is out, as 'the boy child's' old girlfriend had one, and it was way too flimsy and cheap feeling. (IMHO)

So far, the Versa is at the top again.

Trying to deal with the Honda dealers here in Atlanta is just too much. So that might put the squash on a Civic.

The main reason we are buying new, is that by the time you look at a halfway decent small SUV (CR-V, RAV-4, or X-terra), the price is around 12-15K, and the car is long out of warranty. The same holds true for a 1-2 year old Civic - the price differential favors a new car.

For a few bucks more, we get a 3 year warranty, dealer service, etc.

Yes, the thought of dents and dings makes me crazy (and she wants a black car, so they will really make me crazy!

Thanks again,
    Karen
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    The information about the 2008 Sedan has just been put onto the Honda site.

It includes the specs, colors and information about the new leather interior that is being offered.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    It looks like a carry over the 2007 models, except:

An EX-L (leather) is now offered
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) (not sure if this is offered in 2007)

MSRP is the same, unless they have not updated their website. Although I think this is correct, contrary to what we are told by some dealers that the 2008 will increase by 2-3%...