Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    Ok, after seeing such low prices... what is the invoice of this car? I paid 17,249 (including $100 accessories)... did I get ripped off? :sick:
  • esc38372esc38372 Member Posts: 8
    According to Kelley Blue Book (www.kbb.com), the invoice on a 2008 Honda Civic LX-AT 4-door sedan is $16,984.47, which includes a destination charge of $635.

I found the same invoice price at carsdirect.com and at thetruthaboutcars.com.
  • esc38372esc38372 Member Posts: 8
    Invoice on a 2008 Civic LX-AT sedan is $16,984.47 (including $635 destination charge). So when you include the $100 accessories, you paid about $150 above invoice. I don't think you got ripped off. Prices vary depending on your region, and I live in the SF Bay Area, where there are a *lot* of Honda dealers within an hour's drive, so there is more competition. Even so, I received 6 or 7 quotes that were at your price or higher.

My price was extra-low because I was buying two cars (one for my sister and one for my mom). But we were limited to the cars in stock, so we didn't get our first choice of color.

I reread your post about your purchase, and you seemed extremely happy--great negotation process, extremely smooth, etc. That, in my opinion, is worth a lot. So enjoy your new car and don't worry about people getting lower prices. There will always be someone who gets a lower price. I bought a 2007 Odyssey EX-RES in July and was happy with my price of $28,300, which was the best deal I could get at the time. But I just checked the forums and found that there is now a $2000 cashback etc. so the prices are much lower. Part of me feels stupid, but the other part realizes that I did the best I could do at the time. And so did you.

So give yourself a break and stop reading the forums. You're done!
  • trudgetrudge Member Posts: 3
    NJ Buyer,

Here is the breakdown:

Sell Price - 17,177.20

Processing Fee - 66.50
    License Fees - 39.50
    Title Fee - 10.00
    Title Tax - 517.31
    Dealer's Business License Tax - 34.49
    Electronic onLine Filing Fee - 10.00

Total Selling Price - 17,855.00

Less Deposit - (500.00)

Balance Due at Settlement - 17,355.00

I am going to pick it up tomorrow likely and let you know how it goes.

By the way, I moved from NJ to VA.

Trudge
  • jonipomz27jonipomz27 Member Posts: 2
    Got one for $22,500 OTD. Included wheel locks, mud guards, and all-season mats. I also got the dealer to give me free washes for life (esp. since its a black coupe :shades:) as long as i don't tell his manager and call ahead of time to make sure he is there. since i've had it for two full weeks now i'm pretty confident that it was one of the first 08 Si owned in the entire state of MD. Did i get hosed at this price?
  • pulijalapulijala Member Posts: 3
    Anyone here bought a 2008 EX-L in the Orlando/Central Florida area? Wondering what the prices paid are, if there's enough room for negotiation. I'm looking for a manual transmission. Thanks.
  • npbrown03npbrown03 Member Posts: 6
    I received an internet quote today for a 2008 4dr. Manual EX of $18,355. This includes destination charges, but excludes tax, title, fees, etc. Does anyone know if this is a good price? It's about $700 better then a couple of other initial quotes I've received.

Thanks.
  • anlinaanlina Member Posts: 52
    My mom bought a honda civic DX coupe 9 years ago. The MSRP was 13380. The dealer charged her over $17K. I have the receipt.

If I buy a new Honda from the same dealer today, is there any chance they'd take off money to offset overcharging my mom before?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    No..

I'd try a different dealer..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I would be surprised if the same GM was at that dealership now, the same salesperson, or even the same owner after 9 years. Even if they are, they will not care.

As kyfdx said, that would be the last place to get my future business - go elsewhere and let someone else make a profit.

Dennis
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter seeks to talk with owners and serious shoppers of the 2007 or 2008 Honda Civic who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rambus2rambus2 Member Posts: 6
    I received quotes from 17100 to 17500 + Tax from 4 different dealers in Cleveland Ohio area.

(2008 LX Auto 4 dr)

The OTD price came to about 18600 to 19200.
    Does anyone have any ideas about the fair price we can pay in Northeast ohio?

Thanks
  • randy31randy31 Member Posts: 1
    I haven't see many tales of buying a 2008 EX sedan (automatic transmission, no leather or NAV system) posted, so I thought I would contribute ...

Did a lot of Internet research, requested online price quotes from Columbus, Ohio-area dealers, etc. I first was interested in the '08 LX sedan (with AT) and the best quote I received was $17,300 ($18,395 MSRP, $16,984 invoice, Kelly Blue Book showed consumers buying for $18,303).

Then, since I think wheels make the car and the moonroof and other bells and whistles sounded nice, I sought quotes on the '08 EX ($20,145 MSRP, $18,589 invoice, KBB showed selling for $20,044.) The best quote I received was $18,800, so I went to check out that dealer.

My wife thought she wanted the Royal Blue Pearl, but, alas, they had none in stock, but showed us an LX in that color and said they could "trade" with another dealer to get the EX in that color by the next day. But, we decided (out of salesman's earshot) that the Royal Blue was much darker in-person, and on the car, than it appeared online and concluded we didn't like it. The missus liked the burgundy, but we both hated the tan interior and wanted to stay with gray. The salesman then said if we bought a color off the lot today, he would knock another $200 off, bringing the quote down to $18,600, only $11 over invoice. I pushed him hard on price and with holdback, he said was making $490 on the deal -- seemed fair.

Apparently, sales are not going as good as dealers might hope around central Ohio. They are advertising "special 10-day prices" on TV. He took us to their overflow lot, to see an EX in black, and it was literally packed to the gills with new '08s. The black, we decided, was it. With the silver grille, badging and alloys, it's a sharp, classy look. So, that's what we bought ...

Excluding the options (night/day auto-dim mirror with compass and door edge guards), we had the car for $18,600.
    Add about $1,200 for sales tax, $300 in title and documentation fees and we were out the door for a tad over $20K. May have left a few bucks on the table, but didn't consider that bad for a new '08.

All told, a pleasant, hassle free buying experience, no hard sale and the only thing they even lightly pitched was another two years on the bumper to bumper warranty at $715 -- a little steep I felt.

Car seems perfect in fit and finish, but still suffering from new car euphoria. Will advise ... we're looking forward to breaking in our Civic EX.
    Thanks, kyfdx and Dennis. It was just a thought. :)
    I apologize for the double post, and if this topic has already been covered...

But has Honda ever offered a rebate on a new Civic?
    Is there reason to think they will in the next few months?

Thanks!
    Honda NEVER has consumer rebates on their cars - they think it cheapens the brand. I think they are correct. Look at the domestics and all the big rebates, consumers figure out quickly just to wait until there is big money back then buy a car. Honda will do dealer incentives, which most folks don't know about. Dealers can use them to make better deals and offer more for trade ins while keeping up the appearance of not selling the cars at a deep discount or with a rebate. Honda will also do discounted finance and lease deals and target certain states to help move more cars.

I don't recall the last time I saw dealer money on Civics, but they have it pretty often on Accords. They do have discount finance deals on Civics right now in a lot of states.

Dennis
  • stoole2stoole2 Member Posts: 2
    Stan,
    What is the name of the dealership that gave you the quote on the 2008 LX Civic 4dr sedan.
    Thanks.
  • smartandysmartandy Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new '08 LX AT CIVIC for 16050 before tax,tags,freight, and processing fee. all these things i think add about another 1000. You should be able to get one for under invoice now
    Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

smartandy, could you tell me where you got that price on the civic?

Thanks!
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    I'm looking at two used honda civic 2dr ex w/o nav 5spd. Both silver both only have splash guards no other accessories or options.

1st- 2006 w/ 13355 miles asking price $16,588

2nd- 2007 w/ 9105 miles asking price $16,988

The first is a certified pre-owned so of course an extra 12/12 bumper to bumper and a longer powertrain.

The 2nd just has remaining manu warranty.

Which would make the most sense to buy in terms of resale value. That's my biggest concern.

Thank you!
  • kidweikidwei Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, my first post but I've been reading for some time. I just picked up a 2008 Civic EX Sedan AT w/Nav. Got a really good deal. Ended up paying 545 below invoice.

Price of the car including destination was 19,650.
    Total price out the door after tax, title, and doc (in NJ) was 21,275.

Had a great buying experience. If this hasn't been discussed, I would really recommend the Fighting Chance package for getting a great deal on a car. It really worked for me!

:)
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    The 2007 is by far the better deal. $400 more for 4,000 less miles and one year newer. When you go to sell, you'll easily make the $400 back compared to an 2006. And you can always get a longer warranty at myhondawarranty.com if that's important to you.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Did you know that there is an 08 Civic EX-L now! It is a nice step up to the leather interior. Very nice, that almost makes me want to get one of those, but the Accord is on the top of the list. That is a nice trim, for those that want a smaller car, but want to feel like their not in some economy car. I am glad they offered it, but now we'll see if people really buy that trim.

Some of you might already know this, but its awesome!!
  • pontiac850apontiac850a Member Posts: 5
    I njust saw the same thing as I was in the market for a 2007 but decided to wait until 2008. The price I was just quoted for the 2008-Civic EX-L was 20,480 which includes the freight charge of $635.00. Does anyone know if this is a good deal?
  • cwhytecwhyte Member Posts: 14
    I think I paid invoice for my 08 EX-L with Auto, which was around $19,100, before freight. I've had it over a month and I've been very happy with it.
  • ajsinghajsingh Member Posts: 3
    my wife bought a 2008 ex-l with nav for 21595+ ttl from our local dealer in texas ;the car had pinstripe,door guards and fenderwell trim on it already.any thoughts on this deal!!!!!!!!!!!
    According to Kelley Blue Book, the 07 LX sedan got better mpg than the 08. Could this be right?

Thanks.
    Automatic transmission.

$16,607
    $8.75 CA TIRE FEE
    $173.00 LICENSE FEE
    $55.00 DOC FEE
    $1374.62 SALES TAX
    --------------------
    $18,218.37 out-the-door

I know it's good...but is it so exceptional it warrants my buying this over a Corolla CE for 14K out the door? :)

It's an 07, but another dealer will sell me an 08 for the same price.
    Smartandy,
    Can you share the name of the dealership where you got the deal?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    And the EPA numbers changed for 2008, as they calculate them using more real world driving scinarios (?).

The Sandman :)
    If you can get 08 for the same price, why not but the 08?
  • 4vic4vic Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Dallas/FT Worth area, were in Texas and Dealership did you get a deal like that? Seems you can not touch one here with those options and being an Ex for about
    24000 plus ttl.
    Thanks, The Sandman.
    Car insurance is cheaper for the 07.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    :confuse: Why? The 2007 and 2008 are identical, in terms of safety features, drive trains, construction and so forth. Why would the insurance be cheaper on the 07? I know mine would not be.

Just curious - I know my insurance actually gives me a "new car" discount for 3 years, as long as I buy the current available model year at the time of starting the policy. I'd loose that if buying an 07 now that the 08's are out (I bought my 07 in March, so, given my policy schedule, I'll get the discount through May, 2010).
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Why? The 2007 and 2008 are identical, in terms of safety features, drive trains, construction and so forth.

Actually they're not the same in terms of safety features. The 2008 has TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) that is not available on the 2007.
    My question still stands - the TPMS is not much of a safety feature in my mind. And it should not increase insurance rates, but decrease them (if it affects them at all). The '08 is the same dimensions, same ACE body construction, same front, side and side curtain airbags, same ABS with EBD, same engine, tranny(s), etc, etc. The '08 and '07 models have the same crash test ratings. Why on earth would an insurance company hit you up for a higher premium for an '08 over a (new) '07 - it just makes no sense to me?

I know with my insurance company (AllState), if I was buying now, and getting a fully loaded new car policy (full collision, comprehensive, new car replacement value, etc) I would pay more if buying a new '07 over a new '08, since the '08 is the "most current" model year available.

Unless the 07 is not new, but a previously owned one?
    The 07 is brand new. In California, it seems most insurance companies charge you more for newer cars, and as the car ages, your premiums supposedly decline.
  • naren4naren4 Member Posts: 1
    sir,
    cud u please confirm how did u get the price for 08 honda civic lx 4dr is it manuel or auto.

thanks naren
    anlina - sorry to hear that. That is just messed up, IMO. The newer the car, (usually) the more safety features available, less metal stress on the structural steel and welds, less wear and tear on the drive train and running gear - all things that should count towards a lower premium, not a higher one. I know in this case both cars are technically new, so, in principle, you should not be penalised by your insurance company for buying the latest model year. Especially when there really has been no or minimal substantive changes in the car between the two model years.

I'll also add that I've had my '07 for 7 months now, and have been thoroughly pleased with it (it's an '07 EX Sedan AT).

Best of luck.
    If most everything else is the same or similar, then the newer model will be more to insure just based on replacement value. If you drive a new 07 off the lot today and your friend drove off in an 08 and both were totalled, your 07 would cost the insurance companies a good bit less to replace then your friend's 08. They are not going to pay you based on what you paid for it or how long you had it, they are going to pay you based on the miles and model year - and the "old" 07 will always be a worth a good chunk less no matter if it is totalled on the 1st day or years later.

Dennis
  • ajsinghajsingh Member Posts: 3
    the dealer is gillman honda in schertz(just outside san antonio)we worked the deal on sat night and on monday morning and picked it up on monday night;it was a little protracted but the salesman was very gracious and the deal was pretty good and this is for the auto tranny-email me if you want the salesman info
    As I say, not with my insurance company, not with that scenario - ie. two brand new cars straight of the lot, but only really distinguished by their model year. In that case, my "new car" discount would make the latest model year cheaper to insure, all other things being equal (on the policy).

Of course, I'm insured for new car replacement during my warrenty period, so your scenario also does not apply. My policy clearly states, in the event of my car being totaled, I get a brand new, current model year of the same car & trim level, not pro-rated value (once the 3yr/36K warrenty is up, sure, my policy will go down to pro-rated value). So from that point of view, I would be charged the same premium for either a new '07 or a new '08, but I would then forfit the "new car" discount by buying an new '07 now, since the '08s are available and on the lot.
  • busch07079busch07079 Member Posts: 3
    anyone bought an 08 civic si sedan in the ny area? even nj/pa? i have an offer for $21,335(with dest but no taxes, fees). no navi/summer tires. wheel locks and mats included. think this is a good deal or i can do better? considering invoice is <$20,000.
  • bnzapilotbnzapilot Member Posts: 3
    How does $22,794 OTD compare with others that have bought a new civic? 2008 civic coupe ex auto w/navi.
  • kidweikidwei Member Posts: 2
    bnzapilot: I just paid @$21,275 out the door for a 2008 sedan ex auto w/navi. Looks like the pricing on the two cars are the same. But it depends on your market and the demand. I think you should be able to do a bit better, though. How does that price break down?
  • codekcodek Member Posts: 9
    whats a good price on a 2007 Civic Si no options?

black/black

I am going to buy in a day or so.
  • bnzapilotbnzapilot Member Posts: 3
    kidwei: They said the price is 200.00 over invoice. This includes LoJack at cost.
    I got this offer:

16,407.00 sales price
    $8.75 CA TIRE FEE
    $171.00 LICENSE FEE
    $55.00 DOC FEE
    $1358.12 SALES TAX
    ----------------------------
    $17,999.87 OTD

Does anyone think I can do better?

Thanks!
  • audio28audio28 Member Posts: 1
    Hey anlina,

Where are you getting this quote from and where are you located?

Is this for an 07 or 08? Is it an auto?

I got a price of 18,264 for an 07 and 18,806 for an 08 from Norm Reeves HB from the internet dept. There was no haggling involved. I asked if there was room for negotiation and they said no. Can I still negotiate and is this a good price?

I was also thinking about leasing a hybrid since my dad needs a tax right off. 700 down and 290 a month with navi. Would this be a better route? I would like to buy since I could pass the car to my bro in two years when he goes to college.

Thanks all!!