Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    si_chipssi_chips Member Posts: 5
    MSRP 18390

price: $16273
    OTD: 17865 (8.25% tax, $55 doc fees, etc)

It's what I paid 13 days ago. not sure if the price is still the same now.
    Manly Honda in Santa Rosa
  • Options
    suiosuio Member Posts: 42
    I don't understand how can some Honda dealers ask for MSRP for the 2008 Civic? They claim low inventory but almost all the dealers have at least a dozen of them in stock. There is no waiting list for the Civic. I know some dealers even hide some Civic in the back and only show 2-3 to the customers at a time.

Beware smart shoppers!!!
  • Options
    mikielmikiel Member Posts: 1
    Base Civic Si (meaning no add-ons), 22.3k OTD in NYC. Bought a few months ago.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " I don't understand how can some Honda dealers ask MSRP for the 2008 Civic"

Why not? They are well worth MSRP. Used 2007's are selling at auction for MSRP now.

" All of the dealers have at least a dozen of them in stock"

So what? A dozen Civics is nothing even for a low volume dealer.

A lot of stores don't have ANY at this point!

And what are they 5 speed coupes that don't sell well?

" I know some dealers even hide some Civics in the back"

Yep, it's a conspiracy. That's for sure!

I'm raking no pleasure in this situation and mis-information doesn't help matters.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No, mis-information doesn't help, nor does the opinion of a Honda sales rep that Civics are "well worth MSRP." Civics are worth what the marketplace says they are worth. It's a market that includes lower-priced competitors. If you haven't noticed from this discussion, lots of people are buying Civics for less than MSRP. That will be tougher to do as more people turn to small cars and the supply of 2008s dries up. But it is nice to know that you don't get pleasure telling buyers that they will need to pay full MSRP, or above, for their Civics, even though it means more profit for your dealership. No doubt you would prefer to give everyone a 10% discount, if you could.
  • Options
    I'm just telling you what the current market is like.

At a recent Honda auction 2007 Civics were getting 2008 MSRP prices from dealers. These dealers will then have to pay to transport them, inspect them and they will mark them up from there.

I've never seen a market turn like this.

And, you're right. The market will always determine prices.
  • Options
    igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    As a Honda owner since 1989, I must say our new 08 Civic LX is the best Honda we've ever owned. This car does leaps & bounds over my '90 Civic, my '99 Civic, and our '02 Accord. The 16" tires & improved suspension make a HUGE difference in ride and handling. ABS = awesome. I LOVE THIS CAR!! Seats are WAY improved as well. Love the height adjustment on the driver's side. Nice lumbar support - very comfy. This car makes a lot of sense. Everything well laid out/displayed. Easy to use. Nice amount of trunk space, as always. This is a lot of car for the price. And as we've always done - we'll be driving this for many years to come.
  • Options
    fishermanbbfishermanbb Member Posts: 2
    The MARKET determines the price...There is no conspiracy....No theft....Just free hand economics.....There are fewer civics in the popular models because now that gas is $4.00 people have realized this is here to stay and they are changing their priorities when it comes to what they drive. Civics are a best in class economy car...Demand has risen suddenly...Demand goes up and unless supply goes with it....so do prices........No conspiracy.......It happens when hot new models come out as well....remember when the Acura TL came out.....Same thing MSRP for the first few months....Supply and demand that's all.......However, having a good relationship with your dealer helps....

I just signed for an EX-L Navi...Auto.....21,800 + TTL....NO fees.....And, my dealer spent a week locating the car and negotiating a trade for it.......Normally he sells to me at cost...But in this market this was the best he could do.....I have NO problem with that...Last time I checked there were no crosses hanging over the dealerships.......They are their to earn a paycheck and turn a profit.....Would you go to work for no $$.......
  • Options
    tbm4530tbm4530 Member Posts: 7
    What if everyone who put there purchase price on this blog breaks it down to an easy to compare break down,i.e
    car price $18000
    dealer fee $250
    tax 7%
    Tag&Tittle $255
    total out the door price$

this would make it so much easier to compare car price and dealer fees. Also think these dealer fees should be explained in detail by the dealers. they vary from $50- 400 Why?
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    As coincidence would have it, the cnet automotive podcast for last week is titled "Car Tech 72: Just TRY to find a Civic or a Corolla in these $4 days!". You can listen or subscribe free via itunes and the link to that cast as an mp3 is here.

They reference an Automotive news story from the June 16th issue which you can read for free at this link (and other places online).

It starts:

For two days last week, Honda dealer Rene Isip stalked the lanes at the Manheim auto auction in Orlando, Fla., in search of used Civic and Fit cars for his store in Katy, Texas.

Isip's dealership, one of the top 100 Honda stores in the nation, was almost depleted of new ones.

"We're out of Fits," he said, "and our days supply of Civics is in the single digits."

Getting used models was brutal, too.

"I'm standing here looking right now," he told Automotive News via cell phone. "A 1-year-old used Civic is running about $1,000 over sticker of a brand new 2008. And the dealers are paying it."

So lest anyone was thinking you were just some car dealer telling them some story, they can go read all about it for themselves.

Dennis
  • Options
    Bought 08 Civic LX Auto Sedan at invoice this afternoon. The dealer has a large selection of Civics in stock and I got the color I have been looking for. On the flip side, the dealer added a pro pack, wheel lock and tinted windows. The total is still about $500 lower than the MSRP ($18,430). I also got a reasonable deal on the trade-in at the blue book trade value. The total process took 2 hours (from the minute I walked into the dealer to the time I drove the new Civic away).
  • Options
    bacchuswngbacchuswng Member Posts: 9
    suio, which dealer was this?
  • Options
    I HIGHLY recommend Honda Cars Of Boston in Everett MA, on Route 99.
  • Options
    Thank you Dennis.

They will quickly find out for themselves when they go to buy one.

I have never seen the market change like this. It's like someone flipped a switch!
  • Options
    lithiamanlithiaman Member Posts: 2
    From reading this forum, seems as if some buyers are (still) getting "invoice pricing" on new Civics while others are getting MSRP quotes. Is this a regional phenomenon? Or is it because some dealers have more coming in from the factory than others? Just curious. Also wonder what will occur once the special financing goes away after the 7th of July.

Interestingly, I recall that starting in the 1999 model year the first Honda-build Odyssey was selling at MSRP--mainly because supply couldn't match demand based on production limitations; once the Alabama plant came on line (late 2002/early 2003?) Odysseys suddenly starting appearing on dealer lots en masse and prices went south. I reckon the moral of the story is that dealers aren't going to "deal" when they can't keep the model in stock. :cry:
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    04 Civic (67,000 miles) is going for 1,500 more than I paid new on the local craigslist.
  • Options
    ski353ski353 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a 2008 Civic LX-Auto in NYC area. I was quoted a price of
    $17,169 (inlcuding dest.) plus tax and DMV fees of $160 (no dealer prep. fees). What is a reasonable OTD price for this car in the NYC area? Also do you think Honda will extend the low financing? Thanks.
  • Options
    bacchuswngbacchuswng Member Posts: 9
    "if your a AAA or Costco member you can get a no haggle price. usually a few hundred bucks under the msrp for those looking for a deal."

Only works if the dealer actually contacts you back. Both my friend and I (living in two different states) have found that if you make a request about a car that is in high demand, they often won't reply to you.
  • Options
    "going for" ?

Anyone can ASK any price for any car.

Of course someone panic stricken over gas prices could pay that much I suppose?

Pretty doubtful.
  • Options
    We were the "Costco" store in this area for years.

No big deal. People would just get our "Costco" price and go shopping with it.

I would guess that Civics are probably on their DNQ list now.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Absolutely. Just as dealers frequently can ask MSRP and much higher.
  • Options
    Lest folks think I am a "dealer hugger" :D I should point out I don't have a lot of sympathy for the dealers.

Why?

Say last year it took a dealer from May to August to move 800 Civics - all they were allotted for the time frame. A lot of these may have been sold well off of MSRP or just over invoice.

This year the "poor dealer" moved 700 in May and June and has to wait for the others to come in to sell them and they are getting at or near MSRP for all of them.

In both cases they will sell 800 Civics, but in this year's case they make more money per unit and sell more of them earlier in the year. In an ideal world they would get an unlimited supply and could sell 1,600 by August - but they are limited to the current production and their allotment of 800 Civics. So while the sales folks may have little to do down the road they are blowing out cars now and making more money than last year.

So "poor dealer" indeed :D .

The flip, flip side is that all the other products on the lot may not be selling as well so by the end of the model year total sales may actually be down compared to last year.

Dennis
  • Options
    reddikr1reddikr1 Member Posts: 1
    What dealership in Houston?
  • Options
    cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    Suio,

What dealer in Houston? I live in Dallas but I am willing to go to Houston if they give me good price. :)
  • Options
    Sorry for getting you guys back late. It is the Honda Cars of Katy. A few things to be aware of:

(1) They add extras to every Civic they sell. But the final price is still a lot better than the MSRP without the extras. If you are not looking for Civic, you will get very good deals.

(2) To get the special financing rate (0.9%), you will have to buy the Honda Care with it. I paid cash.

(3) They will add $399 for oil change for 5 (?) years to your final price. Tell them to take it off.

(4) They like trade-ins of high demand used Honda cars etc. You will get good dollars on these trade-in.

(5) Overall friendly and reasonable people.
  • Options
    frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    It might be Honda Cars of Katy, and based on their web site they seem to have the largest Civic inventory of any Houston area dealer. They are a relatively new dealer (owned by John Eagle Honda, I believe) and have offered very aggressive pricing to build future allocation. Other Houston dealers seem to have pretty well depleted their Civic inventories, at least for now.
  • Options
    I got this first hand info that most Honda dealers in Houston got a large delivery of Civics this week.
  • Options
    cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    Suio,

What is the Honda care? Did you pay the whole car price in cash? :)
  • Options
    Honds Care - Extended Warranty. I did't take financing as I can get a much better deal on Honda Care. Check the warranty forum.
  • Options
    ycheng2ycheng2 Member Posts: 5
    hi suio, could you please tell me your sales people name? and your final OTD Price? thank you
  • Options
    ycheng2 - just talk to the internet sales manager. His name is on the web site.
  • Options
    rocket1356rocket1356 Member Posts: 4
    Hey MRCOOLGUY209. Can you please send me the quote for CIVIC LX-Auto in the El Cerritos, CA? Please send it to rocket1356@hotmail.com. Thanks.
  • Options
    dcsysdcsys Member Posts: 5
    I have been shopping around for an EX in RI southern MA,got prices from three dealers, all around $100 over invoice, MSRP $20180, prices including destination all at or near $18700. Only difference is 2 have additional junk fees of around $300.

Any tails of selling anywhere near MSRP in RI/southern MA are not true.
  • Options
    nikulbnikulb Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I bought Civic LX Auto Sedan for $18600 (OTD - Including all taxes and fees) today in Northern California.

Thanks.
  • Options
    mrcoolguy209mrcoolguy209 Member Posts: 29
    Sent the message to email address provided.
  • Options
    dr94087dr94087 Member Posts: 9
    Nikul,
    Will you pls let me know the dealer name and location?
    What was the price before tax+fees?
    Thanks,
    DR
  • Options
    chagiochagio Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 4dr auto LX around the Burlington, MA area. what should I expect to pay OTD around this area for one now? Thanks.
  • Options
    dcsysdcsys Member Posts: 5
    Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk on an EX was $100 over invoice before taxes and fees.
  • Options
    Go check out Honda Cars of Boston. I did very well there.
  • Options
    stickyx2stickyx2 Member Posts: 11
    Also, check out Metro Honda in Johnston, RI. I did great there - under invoice
  • Options
    bkj1sbkj1s Member Posts: 3
    Yes it includes everything my OTD price was $19,249.09 total they might have change the price now to take advantage of the gas prices but I have a friend thats a sales person their that can get for you about $500 over invoice.
  • Options
    vadaivadai Member Posts: 14
    Hello,

Can some of the guys here in the know comment on whether the Civic special financing will continue after the 7th? I am going on vacation to come back only after the 7th of July and I don't want to miss this specific deal? Or will they offer some other deal? I understand the civic is very popular right now etc, but than the economy is in the tank.

G
  • Options
    I would not count on it. If you want the cheap money you should probably buy before you go. For one thing, it is not likely to get CHEAPER the longer you wait and very likely to be higher. The Civic was a the best selling vehicle in the USA for May (outselling the F150 and Corolla) and is still selling fast now - so fast many dealers have few to offer. I can see no reason for Honda to offer discounted financing when they are flying off the lots in most places. We don't KNOW, but that would be my guess.

Dennis
  • Options
    manofsteelmanofsteel Member Posts: 1
    Things are getting very tough in Atlanta. I did the internet quotes from here on Edmunds to about 10 different Honda dealerships in and around town. Went round and around for 2 days. EVERY reply talked about the incredible sales of Civics, extremely low inventory, and supply and demand. I was very clear in my emails that I wanted to get an OTD price of 18.5K (thats with a 7% tax rate here).

Half of the dealers wouldn't give me a quote, basically saying they wanted MSRP or MORE! Several quoted 20K+ OTD. One dude even laughed at me for daring to ask for such a low price, saying I must not know the market we're in and that I must have just started looking (I payed him back later :-).

Willett Honda met my price and Mr. C.V. (internet guru) was a pleasure to do business with. Bought my wife her Atomic Blue LX auto last night and happy with the purchase. Honorable mention to Nalley Honda for a 19K OTD quote w/lifetime 3rd party powertrain warranty. Mrs. M.S. was wonderful and helpful in her emails.

I'll tell you, deals are hard to come by now. Good luck.
  • Options
    These promotions are planned many months in advance. Honda had no idea at the time gas prices would go through the roof. Had they known I'm sure they NEVER would have done thse finance specials. No reason for them to do this.

So, I would say it would be highly doubtful they would continue the low financing.

Just finding a car may be your toughest challenge.
  • Options
    vadaivadai Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your response, I also felt that this deal would probably not be renewed. I will try to possibly do a deal tomorrow for a EX-L but if I cannot, I will just have to deal with it once I get back from vacation.
  • Options
    The deal has been extended to July. You can only get this special financing rate from Honda if you buy the Honda Care with it.
  • Options
    The deal has been extended to July. You can only get this special financing rate from Honda if you buy the Honda Care with it.

Not correct on either count.

The finance special was always set to run through July 7 (the Monday after the 4th weekend) and has not (at this time) been extended.

Your dealer fed you a line of crap-o-la saying you had to buy their overpriced HondaCare to get the promo rate. IF you qualified for the "AHFC Super Preferred credit tier" you get the cheap rate no matter what. If you do qualify and were denied the rate because the dealer lied and said you could only get that rate with a HC purchase, then you need to call Honda and let them know that they have a bad dealer that is telling lies to customer and potential customers. If you did not qualify, then they were probably going to buy down your rate with all that profit they made if you have taken the HC plan a 2x what it should cost.

Dennis
  • Options
    robo716robo716 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to get this deal. What dealership did you go to, I am in san jose.....

Thanks,
  • Options
    Thanks Dennis. I have a credit score of 870 but the dealer insisted that purchasing Honda Care was the only way to get the Honda special financing rates. I ended up paying cash for the Civic.

The dealer's name is Honda Cars of Katy (Texas). They do not offer any special financing rates for the Civic line unless you buy HC from them. I have called around (Houston area) and other dealers are doing the same.