Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Are you willing to travel a bit to get a better price? If so, you could search a wider area, including major cities near you, to get a better price. Even if you had to fly to pick up the car and drive 1000 miles back home, it could be worth it if you could save $1000-2000. But it's your time and money.

If you haven't already checked on other highly-rated cars in this class, e.g. Corolla, Elantra, Impreza, Mazda3i, Rabbit, Sentra, then you might want to do that before paying such a high price for the Civic. Fit and Versa are worth checking out also if you could use something a little smaller than the Civic (although both are pretty roomy inside where it counts). You might find you like one of these other cars just as much as the Civic (if not better) and could save money to boot. You could also check on the U.S.-made cars, i.e. Cobalt and Focus, and maybe you would like them although IMO they are not nearly as good a car as the Civic and the others I listed.
  • nish_njnish_nj Member Posts: 9
    Hello all,
    I am planning to buy Honda Civic EX (EX or EX-L). I am in Central New Jersey. Recently I contacted one dealer in Central jersey and was told that Civic is very hot these days and the cars are sold above MSRP. Is this true? He gave me a quote of $21,700 OTD for EX.Is this a good deal? Please advise and thanks in advance.

I personally feel $21,700 is a bit too steep for small Civic. Also, what are the loan deals that I may get on Civic? I plan to put about $3000 upfront.

Again, thanks in advance.
  • gasmizrgasmizr Member Posts: 40
    I have been looking at the civic for 3 years. I am waiting to see if the handbrake is moved. It probably will not so it is going to come off my list. Plus the fact that I will not buy the civic at MSRP or over it just plain is not worth it. If you are looking at a small car I would look at the Elantra, Corolla or Sentra. I personally am looking at the Sonata SE auto. It is less expensive right now by a long way compared to the civic plus the difference in mpg is not that great and the price differential more then makes up for any difference in mpg over the life of the car. I really like the civic too but am more and more looking at the Sonata. Full size car with mid 30's gas mileage on the highway. You may want to take a look at other brands just to get a perspective. The small cars mentioned all get high marks in that famous consumer mags "dot" rating.
    Thanks for your response. Defiitely it makes a lot more sense to look at other options. With the current pricing of Civic, it makes more sense to jump up one level and even consider the base model of Accord. Sonata is again a very good option but how the car performs over a time hriozon of 5 years and whether it is able to last that long without major maintenance issues remains to be seen. But thanks for your pespective...it helped.
  • bluetoothlessbluetoothless Member Posts: 15
    My suggestion to all. Spend a little bit of money and invest in the new car buying program at Consumer Reports. It will show you how much the dealer truly paid and what your starting point in the bargaining process should be. I originally involved a broker that was recommended by two co-workers claiming only to make $500 above invoice. I called him on Consumer Reports info and he never returned my calls after that. I emailed 27 dealers from Key Largo to Orlando, FL from American Honda's website and just kept changing my zip code (just hit browser's back button). Stick to your guns because a slow dealer will call you to get rid of their 2008 inventory and give them a number you don't mind getting harassed on. I specified email only, but they still filled the mailbox on the extra cell phone number I have for kids' needs.
    I got an honest offer of $22,000.00 including tax, and tag transfer for a 2008 Si Sedan M/T with summer tires. Another dealer that promised to beat any price changed their story when I showed up with email quotes. So typical. They allowed me to drive away, and I told them to hold onto their car that had been on the lot for 4 months over the $400 difference for the summer tires they gave as a reason not to match price. I was three miles into my 103 mile jaunt to the honest original dealer when the manager of the dealer I just left called me back. Don't play into their games! The $22k price was $1095.00 cheaper than the broker' s. Know your stuff before speaking to anyone in person
  • elena250elena250 Member Posts: 28
    Yes, I would be willing to travel further to get the car but seems like the 08's are thinning out and they say the 09s will be coming in in September and that they will be 6% higher - and essentially the same car. I have looked at the Mazda - drove it, it was alright, and was originally thinking of a corolla - have always had Toyotas and love them, but they didn't seem to be much more flexible on price (perhaps just a little, but the options to put on seem trickier). Don't know much about Nissan, though I do see that they are advertising that they will be offering a discount. Haven't seen much about the Sentra. I also did consider (for a few moments) the Cobalt and Focus - but the resale is going to be very different and I'm just very leary of American manufacturers - there's a reason Honda and Toyota are so much in demand. I did talk to the dealer yesterday and he still didn't seem to budge much - perhaps could get him down to 20,000 for an LX. Do you all think it's still way out of line for Texas? He does have me worried that there won't be many of these left soon.
    It seems you have your sights set on a Civic LX. How much you are willing to pay for it, that's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't pay $20k for a Civic LX, as there are other cars I'd rather have for that kind of money. But this is your car, and your money, so get what you want. You just happen to be going after a car that is in high demand and short supply right now. You might have better luck waiting for the end of the year, if you can wait that long.

Have you checked the biggest dealers in the big cities, Houston, DFW, and San Antonio? If you are in North Texas, you might also check the dealers in OK.

Good luck!
    Great Suggestions! Thanks to you.
    thanks for the reply. A few questions - you say wait till the end of the year - do you mean September since the 09s are due out then? Also, which other cars do think are better for that kind of money? Drove the Mazda 3 - it was alright but I didn't feel as good as the Civic. I was just looking at the internet and wondering about the Ford Focus. Have generally always had toyotas and very nervous about American made cars - their MSRP is about the same, but I assume there might be more of a discount. Also Focus only seems to come in manual which I could do. By the way - do you know if Civics have stability control? Is that a drawback if not?

thanks again -

BTW I have checked in San Antonio and will try Austin - they don't seem to have very much either - plus they don't seem to want to lower the price at all - they also say they have these cars sold before they're in. Really don't know how much of this all is "hype" Also have been looking at Corollas but they are about the same as far as price and don't have as much style.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    From what I've seen in San Antonio I'd say $19,549.00 or so is the OTD on a basic LX model, which breaks out to be $18,189.00 plus TT&L.
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    Elena250,

I've been watching your posts. I agree that the price you've been quoted seems very high. My wife and I bought a Civic LX in Dallas last December for around $17,500 OTD. That INCLUDED the "performance package" (mud guards, trunk tray, pin stripes, wheel locks, etc.). I wouldn't expect to get that price now, but it does provide a point of reference. As previously mentioned, you might be better off waiting until the end of the year (December). That way, you avoid the short supply of '08's and the rush on '09's.

Good luck!
    thanks for the reply. But it also seems that if I wait until the end of the year that I get into the 09s which supposedly are going to be 6% higher in price and therefore might still cost more in the end - even with a good deal. Guess I'm sort of stuck if I want to get the car and that this is the "going price" right now - even if I were to go to Houston or Dallas. That said, I did look at other options - but each one seems to have drawbacks. For instance, was looking at the Elantra which seemed to be a pretty good little car (though not a Civic) and then started reading about the problem they're having with the fuel pump and that is worrisome. Not sure how Honda is about recalls, etc. I've had Toyotas and feel they're very good - just got a door replaced at about 96,000 miles for free that would have cost $1500 if I had had to pay. Is Honda good about follow up on their vehicles?

From what I'm reading seems like $19,500 OTD might make a good starting offer - though it is about $1500 off what they've listed on their internet price. Do I stick to that price?
  • ctsundbectsundbe Member Posts: 1
    Like other posters, I'm trying to decide between buying an '08 (probably an LX a/t) and waiting for the '09s. I'm OK with the current '08 LX package, but the '09 LX-S interests me- I like the addition of alloy wheels without having to buy a sunroof with it.

Seems like I could get an LX with a/t for a few hundred below MSRP, but if I wait for the '09s, I'd end up trying to buy when '09 prices are at their highest. Any thoughts?
    First 6% is a very big price increase for one year. I am doubtful the price increase on the 2009 Civic will actually be that much, because if so it is getting very close to the Accord in pricing. You heard that from a sales rep, right?

By the end of the year, supply of the 2009s will be good and there will be competition for the Civic from Honda's own all-new Fit. Plus there are usually year-end closeout sales at year's end--if not on the Civic than on other models.

Re the Elantra, keep in mind that all brands have problems. The current gen Civic has had its share of problems (read the Civic Problems discussion here to get some background). Also Honda has had its share of safety issues, e.g. the recall a few years ago of 1 million Accords for a transmission defect, and of CR-Vs because they were catching fire in owner's garages (!). At least the problem on the Elantra is being worked on by the NHTSA and Hyundai, so there should be a resolution fairly soon. Buying a Honda will not guarantee that you won't have problems down the line. Overall, the Elantra is considered a very reliable car--e.g. it gets top marks for reliability from Consumer Reports.

As for your question about which cars I think are better for $20k... that is really a personal question, and I probably have different buying criteria than you do. I've already mentioned other small cars that are well regarded, e.g. Mazda3i, Elantra, Corolla, Impreza, Rabbit, Jetta, and Sentra. But you might not like some of these (Impreza, Rabbit, Jetta) because they don't provide high fuel economy like the Civic. My advice is, before you plop down $20k on a car, check out all the alternatives that at least on paper fit your criteria. If you didn't like the Mazda3i, I doubt you'll like the Focus or the Cobalt for that matter. But it wouldn't hurt to drive them, if you have the time. (BTW, the Focus is available with an automatic.) For $20k or less OTD I would consider a fairly broad range of cars because I would also consider some in the mid-sized class, e.g. Optima and Sonata. Other mid-sizers such as Fusion, Milan, and 2008 Mazda6i are also available OTD for under $20k. But maybe you don't want a car that big.

No 2008 Civic except the Si has stability control. ESC helps keep the car on the road in extreme conditions and IMO is a very important safety feature, so I want my next car to have it. Because of its safety benefits, it will be standard on all new cars sold in the U.S. by 2012. For 2009 the EX-L is supposed to get VSA also. But probably not the LX. Some small cars that offer ESC standard are the Elantra SE, and for 2009 the Impreza (all trims), Rabbit, and Jetta. It's an option on the Corolla, Mazda3s (with the 2.3L engine), SX4 and SX Sport, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting.
    thanks again for the reply. Seems like you really do believe that 20,000 is too much for the Civic. How much do you think would be the right price? Regarding the Elantra - think I will go test drive it. And regarding the stability control, it's something I never had so I don't see it as something I need - though I guess it is something I should look into. May try driving the Mazda 3i again and see what I think. I really don't like the "pressure" of having to decide on a car because there are only a few of them left and therefore pay whatever is asked. The VWs everyone has warned me against due to reliability issues (actually the Jetta was my daugther's favorite but everyone has said to stay away). I did look at the Impreza online yesterday, but it's not cheap and don't particular care for the styling. The Focus people have emailed me and their price is cheaper, but just by a couple of thousand and the reviews don't seem that good. So, guess I keep looking.
  • sonoma818sonoma818 Member Posts: 6
    I just drove away in my new Civic--I decided against the Elantra, and I am so glad I did. I paid $16,501 plus $670 destination plus tag (no tax, I had a trade)for a total of $17230. I tried three different dealers, and I saved $3800 (one dealer offered $2000 less in trade and MSRP on 2008 Civic! ). Very happy with deal at Piazza Honda.
    The price I would be willing to pay for a Civic LX is outside the realm of possibility in these times. I'll leave it at that. ;)

Until a few years ago, I'd never owned a car with ABS. But now I won't do without it. And no car I own has side curtain airbags. But there again, I won't buy another car without them, since they are so valuable in protecting from head injuries. Safety technology has improved by leaps and bounds in the past ten years. What was unavailable or very rare 10 years ago is now commonplace even on inexpensive cars. As I mentioned, by 2012 ESC will be mandatory on all new cars sold in the U.S. I am just jumping in 3 years early by getting ESC on my next car. That car will, in a few years, be handed down to my daughter. You can bet I want all the safety features I can get on that car.

The Civic has excellent crash safety for a small car (in fact it would be an IIHS "Top Pick" if VSA were more widely available on it), and has ABS standard on all trims, so it's no slouch in the safety department. And its crisp handling can help avoid some accidents too.

FWIW, the Rabbit is rated "above average" in predicted reliability by CR, and the Jetta "average". They recommend both cars. It appears VW has improved some in reliability of late, at least with the Jetta and Rabbit.
    Automatic or stick? If it was an AT, you got a really good deal for these times, about $350 over invoice. Congrats on your new car!
    I have AT.

Thanks.
    decided to go back to square one (sort of where I started) and am looking at the corolla - and see I can add VSC to it for only $250. I know they say they are hard to get too but at least they're 2009 models so we're not dealing with the last of the bunch here. Is VSC even better than ESC? Don't know much about these things. The Corolla isn't as spiffy as the Civic but for someone who has two other toyotas I at least know what I'll be dealing with as far as maintenance (I presume). I know they say there's not much flexibility there either, but perhaps a bit more. Not sure how it compares in other respects to the civic.
    did that include the trade-in? or is that the price you paid for the civic alone? why no tax - does PA not have a tax ?
    I traded a 2007 Toyota Tacoma, and the trade-in price offset any taxable amount on my Civic.
  • skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 65
    Congrats! :)

Sounds like a great deal--sure does pay to shop around..that's a huge difference on the trade in offer...what did you trade in?

I too decided against the Elantra and I'm glad I did, although many clearly are quite happy with it-- and it's a major contender worth considering.

Let us know how you like your new Civic!
    VSC is Toyota's term for ESC. Each manufacturer seems to call it something different--Honda uses VSA for example.

If you are looking for a small car with high fuel economy and a good bet for reliabiilty, it's hard to go wrong with either the Civic or Corolla. But they do drive differently; some people have a strong preference for one or the other just based on that.
  • tventtvent Member Posts: 17
    has anyone had a positive buying experience in the washington dc, northern virginia area recently? :D
  • hondajhondaj Member Posts: 9
    Hi guys. I am from Southern California near the Pasadena area in LA County.
    I have been offered an 08 Civic Coupe EX MT for $17469 including destination charge. The dealership claims that it is $500 below invoice? I walked out, of course, to further investigate this deal.

I think it is a fair deal, but what do you guys think?

Thanks.

PS. The price mentioned above is not an OTD price.
    Looks like the lowest I can get them down to - around the Texas area - is 19,500 OTD - if that - might even go to 20,000. Are other people still getting deals on these?
  • embassyembassy Member Posts: 2
    We went looking for a car for my daughter to buy in May.

A Boston area large Honda dealer had a weekend newspaper ad for a 05' Civic with 16,000 miles and a "Value Package" (it's a DX with AT, Air and a radio) in absolutely perfect condition advertised for $7888 as a loss leader to increase floor traffic.

I was stunned that we were able to buy it for that. No BS just a car that looks like it just came out of the factory. I wish I could get two more just like it.

I know that most of you need a new car with lots of additional stuff on it but how can you justify the extra $10,000 plus extra sales tax, insurance, auto excise tax, depreciation etc.?

The American Love Affair With The Automobile! :confuse:
    Personally I would spend the extra money just for the extra crash protection (including six airbags) and ABS available on the 2006+ Civics. Especially on a car for my daughter. I could allude to a certain credit card ad, but I won't.

In other words... it may not be love of The Automobile that causes some of us to buy the latest cars, with the latest "stuff".
  • gelatiangelatian Member Posts: 4
    You answered your own question.

"I was stunned that we were able to buy it for that. No BS just a car that looks like it just came out of the factory. I wish I could get two more just like it."

Congrats, you were The Guy Who Got the Loss Leader. You can't get two more just like it because nobody can, it's a one-off deal. So getting high and mighty with the rest of us based on your deal is a lot like someone else saying "Yeah, I bought this great 2005 with hardly any miles from this guy in my neighborhood for a great price! The rest of you are idiots for paying more!" Extrapolating that further and telling us we're all blinded by our "American love affair with the automobile" is laughable and one of the weaker attempts at patronization I've seen.
  • civicshopper08civicshopper08 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. We are about to buy a Civic and are first time car buyers. We've called/emailed around for days and seem to think that $17, 343 is about the best we can do (this includes the destination fee, so it's about $309 over invoice.)

I would like to know if others think this is a good deal. Other dealerships won't even match it let alone beat it, but since my husband and I have never done this before, we're nervous about not doing as well as we could. Do people think waiting until the end of the month would help?
    Thanks!!
  • hondajhondaj Member Posts: 9
    blieve it or not? i get so annoyed by ppl posting a threat and asking if they got a deal when they don't even have the common sense to indicate exactly what trim or transmission type in their own msg.

what's your civic?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Agree 100% with you on your post. I also agree with Backy about getting the latest safety equipment . And the new car warranty means something to me, as I've had a couple of TSB's done and a recall plus one warranty issue cleared up. I also want my girls to have a new car for their 1st cars, don't mind used for myself though.
    To each his or her own I suspect.

The Sandman :)
  • cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    Elena,

Please could you tell me which city in Texas? I live in DFW area and I am not getting good deals.
    Anybody looking in Dallas area?? :(
    I live between San Antonio and Austin - and tried each dealership in SA and some in Austin and San Marcos. Most didn't even want to discuss anything except MSRP. I did manage to buy (today!) one for just about $19,500 OTD - seems that was the best deal to be found around here. It does seem like there were very few Civics around here for a while, but that seems to be changing - and other dealers have been contacting me with shipments they have received. Perhaps I could have held out and gotten a few hundred off but I doubt if any more than that. Plus I just needed to have a car and really liked the Civic best. After driving it home, I still love it and am glad I purchased it. By the way, it's a Civic Automatic LX Sedan.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Where did you end up buying it from?
    I ended up getting the Civic from Fernandez Honda and was very pleased with them.
  • monshmonsh Member Posts: 5
    can you please let me know which trim and model and which dealer in bay area ?
    I am looking to buy a civic lx 4 dr sedan.
  • sweetoothsweetooth Member Posts: 23
    Hello Bearcrkrd,
    You mentioned you bought civic LX auto for 1100 under MSRP. Did that include destination, tax, title etc
    I am looking to buy one now and am hoping i can get a good deal....
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    It included Destination, but not Tax & Title. I also had a trade-in. You only pay tax on what you owe after your trade equity is subtracted from the purchase price, so I didn't pay much tax. Seattle area is almost 9%, so that was a good thing. We do not have a State Income Tax, so Sales Tax is high. Or so they tell us. :(
    I think Civics are going for MSRP in this area right now.
    I already have over 8,000 miles on mine. Purchased at the end of May. Just got back from Big Sur, Carmel, etc. Got 45mpg two fill-ups, never under 39 on the rest!! Tires are wearing perfectly even, no troubles. A little noisy on course pavement, but most pavement isn't course. Or the kind of course that makes the noise. Uh, anyway...The only thing I really do not care for is the Oil Dip Stick. Yellow semi-gloss plastic? I have a very hard time reading it. Flat Black would be a vast improvement, IMHO.
  • jeffum112jeffum112 Member Posts: 1
    where have all the deals described in this forum gone?

Dealers in SE PA only talk MSRP these days ..what gives?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Once you are confident your Civic doesn't use oil, you'll quit checking it and then your car will be trouble free! :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, it's called the simple laws of supply and demand.

Gas hit 4.00 a gallon and we were stampeded by people wanting Civics. The cars went away and so did the "deals".

This could change in the future?
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Try Scott Honda at West Chester, PA or Martin Honda at Newark, DE. They can still sell below MSRP, but not too much stock, mostly only LX or coupe left.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    What else would a salesman say? ;)
    Great little car, I'm off on another adventure this week, but not quite as far as last week's.
  • joconnorjoconnor Member Posts: 26
    Hi All
    Checked 50 dealers in NYC, PA, MA, CT, and up to Keene,NH. Prices were rock solid at MSRP of $18430 to the lowest of $18,000 for the 08 Civic LX. I ended up ordering a 2009 Civic LX-S with fogs and splash guards for $19,954 plus tax and DMV.
    Two dealers offered me same price via email, all Ihad to do was to walk in and place deposit. White Plains Honda, ask for Walter and/or Honda of Keene ask for George. Found them both to be straightforward and no pressure. Hope this helps
  • swhitehornswhitehorn Member Posts: 14
    The Civic is a really hot car now, due to high gas prices. They hold their resale value better than almost any other car sold in America. Personally, I bought a 2001 Honda Civic EX with 50,050 mi in March 2004 for $7,600. I sold it last week for $6,995 with 99,400 miles on the odometer. I had three minor fender benders and showed all the damage to the propective buyers. Nonetheless, they were eager to buy it and paid cash money. My cost to drive this car came to $11.50 per month, as I put just under 50,000 miles on it and it depreciated a mere $605 in the 4.5 years that I owned it! You can't do that with any other car.
    I purchased a '08 Civic Coupe LX A/T for $16,501 plus $670 Destination 3 weeks ago at Piazza Honda (Philly, Drexel Hill, Pottstown, etc.). I was treated well and recommend!
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    (tongue in cheeck) You're greedy! How dare you sell a car for that price???

Thats what I here all the time when people are trying to buy a Civic at or below invoice. Your example is why a Civic is worth MSRP.
  • trdprerunnerdctrdprerunnerdc Member Posts: 52
    If a Honda Dealer offers you MSRP, don't forget to walk away. Typical talk from a salesman again.