Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    08 Civic LX sedan for $16976

Automatic or Manual?
  • pharmboyrxpharmboyrx Member Posts: 2
    I just put a deposit down on a 2008 Taffeta White Civic EX-L AT. OTD price is $21,900. How'd I do? I pitted 3 dealerships in the area against each other. I got one dealer down to $21,400 OTD for a galaxy gray, but my wife wants the white. Our original price was $22,498 so there was some downward movement. I had to fight for it though. The White car is not on anyone's lot, and they have to ship it in.

I still have the option to walk out on the deal if I want to. The deposit is refundable. The dealer I'm purchasing from is unnaturally courteous and kind. They noticed that they have a 2009 EX-L AT coming in there next shipment, so they might just give us a 2009 at the same price if getting the 2008 becomes a hassle. They are sticking to the price they offered.
  • pharmboyrxpharmboyrx Member Posts: 2
    I just got an EX-L AT coupe for $20,150 plus tax and registration. $21,900 OTD. I think I did pretty well, though I would like confirmation of that. It seems you could do better, though I am in FL so I don't know how much geographic area has to do with it.
  • nelsontxnelsontx Member Posts: 2
    I got a civic 08 LX sedan AT in Round Rock Honda for 18700 OTD. It has a pro-pack option installed by the dealer (consisting of splash guard, all weather mat, trunk tray). Dealership in Austin wont match the price.

Good luck.
  • izmirianizmirian Member Posts: 49
    Very similar.

I paid 18200 even everything included. (Tax Title Documentation Fee)
    Dealer went down to invoice. He tried to sell dealer installed bull.hit appearance package. I said, I'm not paying for this. Wheel locks, an ugly liner on the side and splash guards, 659! My .ss! I had to pay 300$ documentation fee. Rest is tax which is ~3% in VA. Tag/Title for 2 years is 121$. It's LX AT Silver. Love the car, love the way it drives and feels. I went there to get a FIT Sport but it was too stiff and didn't feel safe. (Too small) For the same price got a much nicer car.
  • cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    19,454 is the cheapest OTD that I got in Dallas-Texas by Email.
    The reason of the high price is the s.it accesories. Do you think if I go in person to the dealer I can bargain price and get 18,500 OTD?
  • chillipepper1chillipepper1 Member Posts: 6
    I live in Dallas Metro area and bought a Civic LX Automatic Sedan last September. I emailed or called the internet sales managers at all of the area dealerships to get the best deal. I ended up buying from Red River Autoplex in Denison (50 miles north of Mckinney) because they were a lot lower than in the Dallas metroplex. I payed cash 18,860 OTD including trunk tray, mud guards, pin stripping, window tinting, and aftermarket leather seats. I know prices are up since last year, but you might want to try them. It was worth the extra drive for me. Just call or Email to the internet manager.

Good Luck,
    Chillipepper1

PS: I still love the car
  • nelsontxnelsontx Member Posts: 2
    I was getting the same price as you got from all the email quotes. Then I started calling them and naming the OTD price that I want. Most will counter-offer. Round Rock gave me the best offer after calling all the nearby dealerships. That's when I went to the dealer. You can still bargain once you are in the dealership. Good luck.
  • hunting4crvhunting4crv Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

new here for civics. I'm looking to buy a 2009 or 2008 4dr LX automatic in the next few wks. I would like to find a dealer in MA, but willing to travel a little (NY, CT, NH, NJ, etc.) if the deal is great. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any sense of what range of prices I should be aiming for would be really helpful.

Thanks everyone!
  • ercierci Member Posts: 1
    I'm moving to Edmonds, WA in a couple of weeks and will be buying a 2008 Civic LX Automatic. I plan on using the internet and calling to get the best price and pay 100% with a certified check. What kind of OTD prices should I expect and any tips or insight to get the best deal?
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    I would suggest buying it now as the 2008's will most likely be gone in a few weeks. We are a high volume dealer that reatails over 250 new Honda's each month and we're down to our last two 2008 Civic LX sedans.

There are really only five or six Honda dealers that are close to the Edmonds-Seattle area. They'll be selling out quickly.
  • stickyx2stickyx2 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Hunting! How about RI? Try Metro in Johnston, RI. I did everything via internet got a great deal 17400 OTD on 4dr civic Lx auto. Let me know how you make out.

Good Luck!
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Hi Everyone!

I am looking to purchase a 2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L with Nav (Manual Trans) toward the end of November and was wondering if you could provide feedback on what a good range is for the car during that time period. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I will be purchasing in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
  • fatm1kefatm1ke Member Posts: 11
    2009 4 dr Civic EX AT

$21,400 OTD

6.85% sales tax
    Today I bought the car in Dallas-Texas.
    18,900 OTD, includes windows tint and proteccion package.
  • aaseattleaaseattle Member Posts: 4
    In the Seattle area, dealers are still talking MSRP (maybe a few hundred off) which is really frustrating, especially when I read this forum and see members from other areas of the country getting the LX for near invoice. Around here, many of the dealers will not give ANY sort of pricing info via email or even phone and want you to waste time coming down to the dealership so that they can negotiate you DOWN to MSRP (from their "adjusted market value) - what a joke!

That being said, here's how I'd rank the dealers in the area (except downtown Seattle) in terms of my experience. It's hard to compare pricing among them, but here are my experiences

1. Lynnwood Honda - prices seem slightly higher than others and they don't seem to want to deal much, but very professional group of guys here. Internet staff is first class - very happy to share pricing. No games or sleazy vibes here. I just pre-ordered a 2009 Civic and take delivery soon!
    2. Bellevue Honda - Very professional, the internet guys I dealt with were great. Nice facilities. Almost made a deal here - wish they offered me just a tad more for my trade
    3. Renton Honda - wasted my time telling me they'd go below MSRP over the phone and then wouldn't budge under MSRP when I came in. Nice guys until it's time to deal - then arrogance takes over.
    4. Auburn (Hinshaw?) - Pretty upfront about MSRP when I stopped by, but a complete a**hole about it. Incredibly arrogant.
    5. Kirkland Honda - pretty bad. sleazy all the way up the "management" chain. typical salesman tricks. sales guy promises the world via email, but is "out" when I come to visit and has me work with the new guy. Lowest trade-in value I've seen. Lowballed me by THOUSANDS less than other dealers.
    6. Klein Honda (Everett) - worst of the worst. slimy staff all the way up the chain. plays typical 4-square pricing games. Used car manager went on an "extended" test drive with my trade in and nobody in the dealership could reach him via cell....then they "lost" my keys when he came back. ugh NEVER again!

I also had some exchanges with the dealers in Olympia and Burlington and they either wouldn't give pricing info or only quoted MSRP, so I didn't waste time driving.
  • aaseattleaaseattle Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, forgot to add this to last post. As far as advice, if you need a 2008, then I agree with mplshondadlr - you should probably get one soon before they're gone and replaced by 2009s. If you aren't in a big hurry, I'd honestly recommend waiting. From what I've seen, 2009 prices are still around MSRP (which has increased slightly over 2008 models). I still think MSRP is too much to pay for this car, given that oil prices are coming down and Honda (and other small-car manufacturers) are rapidly increasing production - by the end of the year or early next year I think there will be a much greater supply and invoice price shouldn't be a problem. I ended up overpaying for a 2009, but needed a new car and got a good deal on my trade, so it worked out. I strongly considered a 2008 Mazda3, which is a very attractive deal right now (0% financing, should be able to get 500-1000 below invoice) - just wish the MPG was better.
  • fatm1kefatm1ke Member Posts: 11
    a reminder for those looking for a deal.

1. Have your finances in order. Get pre-approved before you go to the dealer.
    2. Don't discuss your trade in until after you agree on a price. Always have the upper hand, never let the dealer have room to play, "the numbers game"
    3. Walking out of the dealership can save you $100's of dollars.
    4. Always pit dealers against each other. They will fight for your business.
    5. There are 2 fights. One with the salesman, and one with the finance office. Once you agree on a price, don't let them manipulate you into buying something else. Any additional warranty or protective package will cost you more money and will increase the dealer's profit - that's not what you want. "for only $12 a month you can get this, blag blah blah. It's not worth it. If you really want peace of mind then save the money you would put towards an additional warranty and put it in a high yield saving account. If you need to use it, no problem. If you don't, you saved yourself $100's of dollars in the long run.
    6. Know your out the door price. A dealer will often offer you a quote for the car itself, minus any fees. This quote holds nothing when you go into the dealership to buy the car. Know the price you want to pay, including any taxes or fees beforehand and have them agree upon it either in the store or online.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks, i couldn't help but make this post after reading what people are paying on this forum for 08 civic's lx sedan's.....i recently traded in my 08 honda civic lx coupe with auto for a 09 mitsubishi lancer ES..my wife and i needed the extra room and saftey due to the fact that we will be expecting a new baby shortly.anyway,i priced a 09 civic lx sedan at my local honda dealership before i purchased the lancer...the 09 civic lx sedan with auto had a msrp of about 18,500.00....this 09 lancer es with the cvt transmission had a msrp of 18,500.00...lancer has many more features for the money including more H.P> 152,7 airbags,4wheel disk-abs,spoiler,bluetooth,much better warranty,ect...after haveing owned this lancer for the past few weeks i can honestly say that i don't miss my civic at all and the lancer actually feels like a much more solid car being built in japan....before you make that purchase for a 08 civic lx sedan i would check out the 09 lancer for the same money but with way more features and warranty and more standard horsepower 152 vs civic's 140 with a little sacrifice in mialege...msrp for the lancer as i mentioned was 18,500.00 and i got it for 17,100.00 about what people are paying here for a 08 civic.....
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    If you are going to pay with a check, and do not have a trade-in, you will do ok. You can just walk-in and do ok. All year. Wear a smile, and let them know with an honest smile, that if you can't reach a deal, no hard feelings. Try Honda of Fife. (They have 08's, but can't say about two weeks out) But, Lynnwood Honda will be right down the street from you. Start at $1,000 under MSRP, and stay there. You may even be able to beat that on an '08. Honda dealers have last years model, brand new, until they are all gone. Even if it takes a few Months after the new year's model comes out. Maybe this year will be different with the Civic and Fit. MSRP number is easy to find, here at Edmunds, and elsewhere. 2009 might make better sense, but that will be probably $1,500 higher than a 'negotiated' '08. One bit of bad news, we have Sales Tax in Washington. It varies from city to city, but expect to pay at least 8.3% Tax. Ouch!! Then maybe $200 - $250 for Title, License, and Document fees.
    For the people who live in Texas I just purchased my Civic at 18,900 (windows tint and proteccion package) OTD in Dallas.
    Do you think I got a good deal?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm in the Seattle area and I agree with the others. 2008 LX's are almost gone at this point. In two weeks you will probably be looking at a 2009.
  • jhwanyoungjhwanyoung Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for Civic EX-L AT w/ navigation.

But I'm not sure where is the cheaper dealer shop? I'm in SF bayarea.

I must buy within 2 weeks. Let me know if you have answer.

And I wonder how much is the OTD price?
  • maggie17maggie17 Member Posts: 1
    Please provide the NJ dealer who where you got your Honda Civic. What was the OTD price for LX, Auto, 2008?
    thx.
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    #7463 of 7464 I'm looking for Civic EX-L AT w/ navigation. by jhwanyoung Sep 14, 2008 (2:34 am)
    I'm looking for Civic EX-L AT w/ navigation.
    But I'm not sure where is the cheaper dealer shop? I'm in SF bayarea.
    I must buy within 2 weeks. Let me know if you have answer.
    And I wonder how much is the OTD price?

Hi!

Are you looking for a 2008 or 2009? Sedan or Coupe? I'm also in the SF Bay Area (San Jose) and requested a quote for a 2009 Civic Coupe EX-L with Nav, MT about 2 weeks ago. The quote I received via email was 25800.00 OTD (the quote for the car was about $23570, just about $145 over the MSRP listed on Honda's website). I didn't try to negotiate down since I am actually waiting a bit to purchase the vehicle. Costco and AAA both have auto purchasing programs (i.e. special rates) if you are a member of one of those establishments (check out their websites for more info and qualified dealers). Although I am not sure how those rates compare to what you may be able to negotiate on your own.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your search!
  • doccoloradodoccolorado Member Posts: 8
    If your interested in "SafeTy"; then you should check out the discounts on the type of car your buying with your insurance company.

I check the Mitsibushi Lancer, and it has the WORST rating from an insurance discount in all three categories. Vechicle Safety Discount = 0; Liability = Charged SIGNIFICANTLY higher that standard; Damage/Theft Charged Higher than Standard.

So when you check the Civic, especially the hybrid model, they offer better discounts.

Mitsibushi I have noticed with my insurance company rarely has any discounts for safety.

These rates are based off of actual drivers/insurance accident statistics, NOT government crash testing.

Check out Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW; insurance discounts; Interesting, I wonder what the "Insurance" company knows that we don't ??
  • jettisonedjettisoned Member Posts: 1
    I got the following quote which includes a "commission fee". I've never heard of it and a search turned up nothing. They wouldn't budge anymore on price or fees but would throw in some mats and wheel locks. The price still seems okay even with these made up fees. What do you guys think? I hate to walk away from a deal for a couple hundred dollars but it just feels so slimy the way they added it in the end.

2008 Honda Civic 4 door EX w/auto no Nav

Price+destination = 18,889.00
    Commission fee = 141.67
    Doc fee = 299.00
    Title prep fee = 5.00
    Tax = 944.45
    Registration+inspection = 104.00

Total = 20,383.12

Thanks.
  • ykrussykruss Member Posts: 14
    I wouldn't care about any fees as long as the price sounds good to you.

Personally I always negotiate the OTD price and never look at any single fee on the car order.

Good luck!
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    maybe just tell them $20K exactly out the door and not a penny over. Tell them that's the majic number to get you to sign. The "commission" fee is ridiculous and the doc fee is typically about $50. Good luck.
  • blogueblogue Member Posts: 1
    Hi:

I just got quoted $18,600 drive out the lot price for the 2009 DX-VP. I've contacted 5 dealers and so far its only via email and another one quoted me $19,300 for the same car!! Still waiting to hear from the other 3 dealers. Does this sound like a good price? This will be my first new car so I am a little nervous about having to deal with dealers.
    Thanks
  • joconnorjoconnor Member Posts: 26
    Sounds high, make sure you always ask about the destination charge. They like to hide it from cost of vehicle. You could get an LX-S for 19425 plus tax, so keep looking!
  • robdmbrobdmb Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 2009 civic coupe ex in the next two weeks in Lehigh Valley, PA or NJ. Anyone have any dealerships they recommend or can help me with an idea of how much I should look to pay. This is my first card purchase so any advice is appreciated.
  • uncmedicuncmedic Member Posts: 3
    Reading the posts here..Just got my civic 9/11 in NC and OTD was 18750 tax,title,and docs + Platinum Protection Pkg trunk liner,wheel locks,roof visor and xm radio.They had 1 ex-l and 3 LX's left and back lot full of 09's. I think I did pretty good?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sounds pretty good. Sedan or coupe? How much was TTL?
  • amkingamking Member Posts: 16
    what dealer in NC? of the dealers you dealt with, which ones do you recommend?

did you get quotes via email, fax, or just in person negotiation?

that seems pretty damn good OTD for a 'loaded' EX-L... maybe i need to reconsider looking @ the 09's and try to find a deal on an 08.
  • ndelcndelc Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at buying a 2000 Honda Civic. It is in unbelievable condition (only 35,000 miles!), but it was involved in an accident in 2001. The seller showed me the repair receipt, and one of the items listed was "Frame/Unibody Repair and Setup" at a cost of $55.00. Is that anything to be concerned about? I got a Carfax report on it, and the accident is listed but under "Structural/Frame Damage Check" it says "no issues reported". I would guess that any frame damage would cost more than $55.00 to repair, wouldn't it? The entire repair bill came to about $1,200 and most of that was to repair the front bumper and headlight.

Thanks for any advice!
  • izmirianizmirian Member Posts: 49
    I was trying to sell my friends crv right after she bought it. (she had to relocate overseas) 2 weeks before she left, she got hit by another car from the front. After it got fixed, I took it to carmax. At that time it wasn't showing anything on carfax so we didn't tell that it had been in an accident. But of course they figured it out. They told us that there was a frame damage. I said it was a small accident and couldn't have damaged the frame. Appearently the the whole car is considered part of the frame in box framed cars. The appraiser said on CRV even if there is a hole in the ceiling they document it as frame damage. So, for a 20K worth car they quoted 15K price. It was pretty unfortunate. We had to sell it through craigslist. Long story short even a small damage on the car, qualifiying for frame damage reduces the value dramatically. In your case car is already aged and by the time you sell it, frame damage might not matter. But you can use this story to pull the price down.
  • uncmedicuncmedic Member Posts: 3
    I got it at Leith Honda on Capital Blvd in raleigh. I just walked on the lot looked around and decided to buy it on the spot after 20min test drive. The sales rep I had was really good... Brandon Bradshaw.
  • tvaldivitvaldivi Member Posts: 5
    Just quoted an internet price of 20,300+tax and licenses for a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L. i think this is a decent price but how much lower do you think I could get? I talked to the internet salesman and we had a pretty good convo. I'm a first time buyer so don't know if I have much wiggle room or what exactly should be my next step in the process. Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks!
  • poobbubespoobbubes Member Posts: 6
    I would try to go for $19,700. Car dealers are more willing to deal because banks aren't approving very many auto loans right now (and the ones that do get approved have high interest rates).
    "I would try to go for $19,700. Car dealers are more willing to deal because banks aren't approving very many auto loans right now (and the ones that do get approved have high interest rates)."

That statement couldn't be more false.
  • lucky21lucky21 Member Posts: 2
    Wow! Grreat Price/Deal !!! What Dealer? Where is it located? What's your friends name and phone number/e-mail?
  • haqqanihaqqani Member Posts: 4
    I need to buy a new 2008 civic sedan dx, auto .
    If some one can tell me, how much should be my OTD price in Atlanta by paying in cash?
  • chum94555chum94555 Member Posts: 2
    I yesterday purchased 2008 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN LS model yeaterday from HONDA OF HAYWARED (IN SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA) and paid $19109 OTD ie base price plus taxplus all doc fees... I also had optionally bought security system and 7 years extended warranty with grand total of OTD $20759...

ks
  • ampeg500ampeg500 Member Posts: 8
    Paid $17,900, not including tax/ registration
    You meant Sedan LX right? because I never heard about 2008 civic LS
  • tvaldivitvaldivi Member Posts: 5
    Live in the bay area, CA. Wondering what a good price to start at asking the dealers for when negotiating a price. I am pretty set on a 2009 EX w/ navigation. Most likely a coupe. A price before tax and licenses and OTD would be great!
    Come in and vist my F&I office - there is no shortage of approvals. In fact, one would argue that the approval process needs to be looser in order to keep these cars rolling off the shelf.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I totally disagree with that article.

" Most" people can get car loans. There has been some tightening but nothing that wasn't needed.