Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dleeedleee Member Posts: 3
    bwahaahhaha..... let's all listen to two car salesmen's opinions instead of Bloomberg News Services and US News.... puhhhhhlease!

just because you wish it to be doesn't make it so. credit is tightened, in all forms, and that is a fact. maybe (and it's a big maybe) your dealerships are located in affluent areas and are getting better qualified buyers. if so, good for you. but, overall, banks aren't lending and no amount of wishful thinking or histrionics will alter that fact. please don't try to pass off anecdotal evidence as clear fact. it's unscientific and useless information for a national message board.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    We'll just assume that anyone shopping for a Civic can get a loan for one..

I don't see how a news article is scientific... but, we are all about anecdotal evidence here.. That's the purpose of this forum.

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Nothing "ancecdotal" from me. I live the life from the trenches and when I read that "most" people won't be able to get a car loan, I have to say, that's just not true.

Yes, some lenders have tightened their reigns but not to that much of an extent.

I hope it stays that way!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    As I said.. let's stick to Civic prices..

And... you can look it up... Your personal experience is the very definition of anecdotal..

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    (no more replies on this subject are necessary, or appreciated..)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tvaldivitvaldivi Member Posts: 5
    Civic EX-L W/ Navi Automatic OTD Price $23, 700, Good price?
  • uncmedicuncmedic Member Posts: 3
    4dr not sure will have to look over the invoice
    It's a 2 door coupe as well
  • cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    Can you guys tell me how much you are paying for that model OTD?
  • borninabarnborninabarn Member Posts: 2
    17,890 + TTL
    The price included $200 for window tint (which I wanted) and $190 for pin striping/door guards (which I didn't).

I bought at Bell Honda in Phoenix, AZ. The sales lady in the fleet/internet department was easy to work with. I would definitely recommend her. The finance guy was a little pushy about the extended warranty, lo-jack, etc, etc. I didn't buy any of that stuff.
  • ricetickricetick Member Posts: 6
    Hey, you can try Gwinett Place Honda, look for Denise Barrons, she can give you a good deal. E-mail me @ ricetick@gmail.com if you have any questions.
    Gary
  • katyladykatylady Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm the worlds worst negotiator so I'm looking for a second opinion on this. What I have so far is $20,420 plus tax title and doc fee (doc fee is standard $250 at every dealer I've talked to). This is in the Cincinnati, OH area. There is also no inventory anywhere so I'll need to be ordering the car. What does anyone think?
  • nshahzadnshahzad Member Posts: 14
    I've been shopping around to a few deals, theyve given me the price on the car as 17878 on the car, n/i tax/mv, etc. seems to be below invoice
    I'm bad at negotiating too! But here is what I've done.
    On cars.com, I went and 'built' the car, it gives you the invoice. Print that, and also send an email through there to dealers, saying you have 500 below invoice. Some will say it's impossible. One dealer mailed back with invoice price. Print that out, try to get quote over email.

Then I went to a dealer, folder in hand. I said I've been shopping around, and they are my 3rd dealer today. They may ask "okay, what do I have a to beat?". Ruffle through your papers, look, and then give them that invoice price, or the best price that you've gotten so far. That should start it off.

One dealer gave me a price of 17940 for the car. Invoice is 17947. I said okay. Went to another dealer, told 'em the price to beat is 17940. They said ok, 17,878. I'm going to another dealer today, and I'll go back to the first one and say okay, your price was beat, can you match it? If not, that's ok, they'll say on the list, since the next round is financing. Tell 'em another dealer has no doc fee. If they say "oh we can't tell the car at that price", just say "well, what about your holdback??". One guy flustered and said okay, let me go check. They came back with the 17,878.

Hope that helps!
  • cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    Is it a good time to buy a car with the financial crisis? the banks do not want to lend money :mad:
    I just got my Black 2008 EX-L W/ Navi, it was brand new and not sure if I got a good price or not. OTD price was 23,299 with 8.25% tax rate. What do you think of this price? Before Tax and fees it was $21,235
    Interest rates (imo) are high even with good credit. But deals like 0% etc are probably gone for good now. I can't find _any_ good deals. Bleh.
  • jordanbejordanbe Member Posts: 2
    Dealer is offering $19,700+TTD which equals $21,900. Is this a good price. He will not budge.
  • nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    Edmunds shows the invoice on a 2009 Civic EX Sedan with Auto and Nav before destination to be $20,358. Your price is $658 below invoice (or right at invoice once the $670 destination charge is added.)

This seems like a very good offer.

Which city/state are you in and what is your tax rate?
  • amkingamking Member Posts: 16
    why would the invoice price be different between edmunds and cars.com?
  • jordanbejordanbe Member Posts: 2
    VA

3.2%
  • vmhulkvmhulk Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out the reason or which one is the correct price ? I am also looking for 2008 Civic Sedan LX. I so far found the price here in south florida to be $18000 out to door price. The price without dealer fee, tax and other stuff is about 16500.
  • 1jacob1jacob Member Posts: 13
    I called West Hill Honda in Bremerton Washington. They insist that a Civic EX-L 4 door with automatic trans. sells for $26900, and that is for a model WITHOUT any extras. That does not include navigation, not even car mats! That sounds like a huge rip-off to me. Am I missing something?

I understand that there is a Costco program for members of Costco (I am). They negotiate the price with dealers that belong to that program. But they and the dealers will not tell you the Costco price, until you test drive the car. I already decided that I want this car. Does anyone know what the price is when using that program.

Regards
    1Jacob
    Hell no!! Too expensive. I don't even think the MSRP is that high.
    Check out edmunds and cars.com for the invoice price.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    26.9k is the price of the accord not the civic
    There was no mistake here. I was talking about the Civic. In fact, there was one listed on the web with a Vin number and a stock number.
    I visited WEST HILL HONDA in Bremerton Washington a few month back, I test drove the car and the price was way too high then also, around $26000 for the EX-L.
    Now they said (over the phone) that it is $26900 with no additional items, no navigation and nothing else.

They said that they belong to the Costco program, but I do not know what the Costco price is. In fact, I do not want to go to a place that starts off with such an inflated price. I though MSRP would be good for such a popular car. Why is it that they can not sell a car for MSRP (plus shipping and tax?). I don't get it.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    in my opinion almost 27,000 for a civic is way to much considering that there are other cars out there for the same or less money that are better than the civic....actually for a few grand more you could probably get into a 3 series bmw which is the route i would take if i were spending that much on a car....the nissan maxima and alltima come to mind as well and they can be had for around 27,000 and they blow any civic away...civic is a economy car..i had a 08 civic 2dr coupe with auto until i recently traded it in....the civic was loud on the highway and wasn't a very quiet car all around although it did handle pretty well...
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i had to respond to the previous post where they got a 08 honda civic lx for 16,500.00 before TTT..i just recently over this past labor day weekend traded in my 08 civic lx coupe for a 09 mitsu lancer es..my wife is expecting a baby soon and we needed the extra room and safety features..anyway,i recieved as a trade-in for the civic 16,000.00 towards the 09 lancer which i got for invoice...i paid 17,500.00 for the civic in 11-07...so i guess this proves that civic's really do hold their value well..other dealers i went to before the mitsu dealer tried to low ball me by offering 13,500.00 and another dealer offered me 14,000.00....don't know how they made money off of my civic by giveing me 16,000.00 for it and it had 4000 miles on it when other people like the previous poster paid 16,500 for a brand new one with 0 miles...go figure????
  • dangorddangord Member Posts: 1
    They're rippin' you off. I just got a 2009 EX-L w/o Nav for 21,400.
    I really like the Civic EX-L and I want it in silver color. I could not find a single such car within 100 miles. I called Honda, and they could not find one either, but they were not sure because dealers do trades. So I called and emailed a few dealers around here.

The "game" is to try and get me convinced to buy something else, such as a different model, a hybrdid, an EX with a non factory leather and so on. Renton Honda asked me if I am willing to wait for 4 month! Then they call here and want to know if I am coming to the dealership. I said that I stated clearly what I want, and to please call is and when they have it. The guy sounded rude, and he said he has a hundred customers, and he can not remember what everyone wants. I told him to look at the email and he became ruder and said that he is not interested in doing business with me. I said fine, and hung up.

I thought that with the economy in bad shape, and loans getting hard to come by, a dealer would not be so incredibly stupid as to lose a potential customer.

I know what I want, and given that a dealer finds it, and for a fair price (somewhere around MSRP, and I would even go a little over) I will be a good customer. That should is very simple and straight forward.
    Yes, there are other cars such as the Maxima and Altima, and the BMW, that would be very nice, and the BMW 3 may be very fine, but:

1. I am not looking at for $27000 plus car
    2. We all have our specific wants and needs. For me, the Civic EX-L is very attractive, it offers great gas millage and it is low enviornmental polution, it is great form crash standpoint, it is loaded with a lot of features...

But if I can not find the Civic I want, I will consider other cars, and not for lack of trying.
  • ddn07ddn07 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2009 Civic Coupe EX-L with automatic transmission and with NAVI in the new color polished metal mtallic for $22,500 plus tax, title and doc fee. The car is currently in transit to the dealer. There is no dealer out there with this new color. The MSRP for this car is $24,225. Please let me know if you thinbk this is a good deal or not.
  • izmirianizmirian Member Posts: 49
    Sounds like a great deal. I still don't understand dealer's motivation to pull the price down for a brand new 2009
    There are some LX's here in Charlotte in that color and I must say it does look pretty sharp. I'm stuck between it and the new urban titanium metallic. I'm waiting for the regular EX's to arrive with it (first one arrives off the truck at a local dealer today actually). I was told by more than one dealer that Honda started making the LX's first as that is the highest selling trim (by far). Most arrival dates I received for the EX and EX-L's were early to mid October.

I'd like to see an LX-S in person as well...
    probably because they need sales, period. i've got a couple friends in the car business (one at a honda dealer) and they've confirmed what you see in the news: this is the worst car sales year since the early 90's. of course the car I'm most interested in, the civic, is a top seller :|

the initial out the door price quotes i received from local dealers for an 09 EX sedan w/automatic are as follows:

$20,251.85
    $20,300.00
    $20,449.00
    $20,767.24
    goes higher all the way up to MSRP....

(MSRP = about $21,750.00 out the door)

getting these guys to give you itemized quotes included all charges has been a pain (so I can compare apples to apples just vehicle + destination charge). some want to load the car up with 'required' accessories, and others just bake loads of extra profit into the doc fees and such. its all a fun shell game of where to hide the extra cost.

right now the best vehicle + destination fee quote i've got is just under $19,100. I'm confident with some negotiation and the economy as it is I can get under $20,000 out the door. $19,500 out the door would mean i got around invoice +/- (although cars.com, edmunds, and others all have wildly varying invoice prices... www.fightingchance.com doesnt have the info for the 09 civic's yet).

if honda would just offer the 1.9% apr on the civic again i'd be sold~
    OK, with the economy down, they need sales. But do they think that the economy is down only for car sales people? It is selfish, and very dumb, to think that when the economy is down you would do better by squeezing the customer harder. The opposite is true. When times are hard, you need to be more inviting, make better offers and terms. Most people are not pressed to buy a brand new car full of bells and whistles they do not really need. When times are tough, people tend to hang on the their cars longer, or consider a used car...

That guy at Renton Honda Washington deserves first prize of "idiot of the year". He told me that he was too busy with his other 100 customers to look up the details in my email (where I specified what I wanted). There are so many other Honda dealerships around here, surly I can find someone that can do business with some basic mutual respect.

First, he assumed that I am stupid enough to buy the story that he is so busy. Everyone knows the times are very slow at the dealerships.
    Second, I will not do business with some jerk that is trying to make himself be so imprortent (100 other customers), to the point of having my request to read the email refused!
    I agree with you, they definitely are in need of sales :) (hence why I posted some relatively low initial no-negotiation offers for an 09 EX)

I was actually replying to the other post... specifically: "I still don't understand dealer's motivation to pull the price down for a brand new 2009"

I think that dealer you described is ridiculous and I wouldn't do business with them as a matter of principle.
    My experiences with going to a dealership have not been pleasent at all. On the contrary. I just do not like the "game" they play. I do not appreciate having to wait for a long time, while they "go in the back to talk to the manager". I do not like to hear about them having to pay the electric bill. I do not like having "printout errors" where the MSRP in inflated by thousands. I do not like them telling me that a factory rebate advertised on TV is only for veterns and student, while in fact it is not true. I do not like the pressure to "buy today" before you have a chance to find out that the rebate is for everyone.

I work hard, and often more then 5 days a week, so I value my time on the weekend very much, and those guys do not want to respect it. I came in and asked for a good price, stating clearly that I do not want to spend a lot of my weekend time. That was NOT respected. So I decided to go the internet rout, and most dealers will not tell you a price of a specific car in stock (on the lot) over the internet. Some will tell you a "general price" to get you into the lot, then you find out that the car they have is full of extras you do not want and they are often very pricey.

It makes me think that they would rather screw one buyer out of a few thousands then sell five cars for a reasonable profit. I do not know what the profit margin is, but if each car brings say $1000 profit, then selling one car for $6000 over what it should sell for is more profitable then making sales at $1000 each in profit.

Apparently, Costco has a program for members. They pre negotiate the price, and the dealers pay attention to them because they represent a lot of potential buyers. I am going to try that. I wish I new ahead of time what the Costco price is, but they insist that you follow their procedure and go to a dealer that carries the program.

I called one dealer 2 weeks ago, and I asked if he is a Costco dealer. The answer was yes. I stated what I was looking for, and he suggested that I do not need to call Costco, and I can just show him the Costco card when I come in. I did call Costco, and they told me that he does not offers a Costco price on the car I want...
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Perhaps the real issue is you do not set the parameters and if they are not met you do not do the only thing you realistically can do, and that is:... walk. While I would imagine the Costco program is of value, you still really have to invest time in comparison, etc. to really verify what the/those value/s is/are.

Both parties simply want to get the "BEST PRICE/S" the issue is/are the best price/s are usually in opposite directions. The real truth is ANY dealer can get you any car that is in the dealer's network inventory. Most all would be happy to pre sell a vehicle just coming "off the boat"/rail head.
  • kkubalskykkubalsky Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jacob1,

I purchased a 2009 Civic EX-L with Navigation through the Costco program last month. My car actually arrives on Friday! The Costco dealer is Lynnwood Honda. the price I paid was 23,700. This included mud flaps, door edging and wheelwell edging. When taxes and title were figured in it came to 26,300 (give or take $200-I can't remember the exact amount). Good luck in your endeavors. I strongly recommend the Costco program and Lynnwood Honda. The salesman I dealt with (MB) was great - very easy to work with, no pressure.
    Well, I do not want to "see all the parameters". The fact is that I am very serious about buying a car, I am not just "window shopping", and I would pay MSRP plus $1000 for the car I want. I do not even ask for a test drive (I already did that). All I want is a clean and clear deal with no back and forth baloney.

In my experience, they are not at all "happy" to do it my way, the simple and clean way. They want to sell me much more then the car I want and more then a fair price.

Why should I invest more time? I read Consumer Reports, I read Edmunds, I know what others are paying on avarage. I told the dealer that I know the Edmunds price. In fact we looked it up on the web at the dealer's computer. He said fine, and then he started "working me over" to convince me to buy all sorts of things. I said no many times, and it did not register. My wife and I just got tired of it, and we did walk. I consider that a loss of an hour and a half of our weekend time.

Are you saying that I need to know more then MSRP? Are you saying that reading here what others pay is not enough "parameters"? I thought MSRP is a pretty good guidline. In fact Consumer reports sugests to not pay over MSRP. Edmunds says that others in my area are near MSRP and a little lower.

I am pretty sure that the Costco program will work. Costco says that thier price is typically $1000 less then the price that others are paying. But I will find out...
    "Hi Jacob1,

I purchased a 2009 Civic EX-L with Navigation through the Costco program last month. My car actually arrives on Friday!...."

Thanks. That gives me an idea of the price. (I will just subtract the navigation, which I do not need).
    I was hoping that someone will give me such information so thanks again.
  • needasedanneedasedan Member Posts: 4
    Can't help but to give back to this forum as I have used it a lot. About a year ago, we targeted getting a new Accord. Sitting on it for over a year we changed direction to the Civic.

2008 models are starting to bottom out of stock and my wife is really picky about color so we went with an 09.

Anyways, just purchased a 2009 Civic Sedan LX Auto for $18000 OTD at Autofair Honda in Manchester NH. I did trade in my 10 year old truck and feel that I got a fair deal for the trade. Not great but fair.

Good luck to all of you Civic shoppers. They are awesome cars. As for dealers, don't try to make a deal with them. Set a price in your mind before you go in there and be ready to leave if the price does not match their inventory and interest in selling it for the price YOU SET. Keep it their decision to make, not yours. I learned a lot from this forum and glad I stood by my guns through buying this car. Again, good luck!

-Brian
  • ddn07ddn07 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure where you are but here in Southern Californnia, I just purchased a 2009 Civic Coupe EX-L with NAVI and with automatic transmission for $22500, including destination. Therefore this price is denitely lower than the price from Costco ($23700). I contacted several dealers through the internet, gave the price that I am willing to pay. This dealer was willing to sell at $22500. I went to the dealer last Saturday and spent a total of 45 minutes getting all the paperwork done. And this includes waiting 15 minutes for the finance manager to finish with the customer before me.
    The MSRP for a Civic Coupe EX-L is $22225, the invoice varies from $20500 to $20700. So if you can get it for around invoice then I think you get a great deal. Good luck.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    We may have "miscommunicated". I said SET parameters (and stick to them) , you seem to take THAT as need more research for MORE parameters.

You seem to be running into the "dealer" attitude (timing plays into this of course) that they can (at this time) get much better pricing (MSRP PLUS), that you might be willing to pay (invoice - minus for example)

So for example it took me all of 5 mins to decide and buy a 04 Honda Civic. This dragged into 2 hours for the salesman insisted I take it for at least a 24 hour period. ( He gave me the keys and told me he would see me the next day) and an arm twisting by the finance manager for me to accept a close to zero % loan at the time. I would keep looking.
  • frank209frank209 Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds no longer has pricing information for the 2008 Civic EX. Can anyone tell me the invoice price, and what I should expect to pay for a new 2008?
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    To all those inquiring about Civic pricing, my suggestion is to visit carsdirect.com

It will provide a good price for any new or used vehicle in your area. Just punch in your zip code and select the model you are interested in. Frank 209, the 2008 prices are still in the system, although I don't think you will find an invoice price.

You don't have to buy from carsdirect to find its best offer. My experience is that the carsdirect price is very good, but you can usually use that as a guideline and negotiate with a dealer for an even lower price by a couple hundred or so, depending on the model.

Good luck!
  • sinsdsinsd Member Posts: 46
    San Diego Dealership

Minus propak, $18,064.04
    Urban Titanium Metallic

I went thru the Costco/Fleet guy

Comments?
    Is that OTD? Not bad.
  • sinsdsinsd Member Posts: 46
    I should clarify: not including tax and fees, but including destination; my negotiated price.

With quote in hand I can do a little better, but I LOVE the idea that I know WHEN the car is being built (next week) and about when the truck is showing up with it on it (end of month). Here's hoping Honda's fin rate stays the same or gets better!
  • jaypoljaypol Member Posts: 24
    Northern California Dealer's price quote is $17,400 + TTD (price includes destination charge).

Is this a decent price?